Page 1


Assist students, faculty & staff in finding Off-Campus Housing. Programs for students living off-campus & for students commuting to campus. Serve as a resource for the Town of Mansfield and other External Agencies (i.e. CT State Police, Faith Leaders, Property Managers). Assist students with off-campus living issues (ex. lease navigation, roommate issues, landlord complaints). Educate students on their rights and responsibilities of living in a community. Collaboration with UConn Regional Campuses and UConn Professional Schools (i.e. School of Business, School of Law & School of Social Work).

OCCSS Mission Statement Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services enhances the experience and supports the success of off-campus and commuter students. OCCSS serves as an advocate for students and a centralized resource for off-campus living. Furthermore, OCCSS strives to intentionally design opportunities to improve the quality of community life, foster maturation of independent life skills, promote development of responsible community members and cultivate involvement in the surrounding communities. Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services Student Union, Room 315 (860) 486-8006


TABLE OF CONTENTS Letter from the Director Social Media/ myUConn Online Forms/ Where to Start/ About the Application Housing Search Resources Can I Afford This/ Property Issues Signing a Lease/ Fair Housing Laws Roommates/ Pets Security Deposit Utilities Subleasing/ Student Activities Eviction Trash & Recycling/ Renter’s Insurance UConn & Community Expectations Town of Mansfield Ordinances/ Police Service Town of Mansfield Housing Code Responsible Party Hosting Campus Safety Fire Safety Checklist Health & Safety Alert Systems & Staying Safe Grocery Stores/ Community Meal Plan Truck and Storage Rentals/ Local banking Parking & Transportation WRTD/ U-Pass Additional Resources Commuter Lounge/ Husky Bucks Commuter Safety Tips Connecting Commuters with Careers Advertisements Off-Campus Housing Fair/ Commuter Appreciation Week

4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17-18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27-28 29 30-31 32 33 34 35-43 44


A LETTER FROM THE DIRECTOR Thank you for your interest in Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services at UConn! Whether you are currently living off campus, commuting from home or considering moving off campus, UConn’s Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services (OCCSS) can enhance your experience. With our help, you can find an off-campus rental, attend one of our many programs held throughout the year, learn about commuter safety tips and even get advice on how to be a good neighbor. It’s important to know that as a commuter student at UConn, you are not alone; students who choose to commute or live off-campus are part of a large population. This population consists of undergraduate and graduate students, traditional and nontraditional aged students; full and part time students. There are also differences in the type of commuters we see at UConn; commuting from home vs. living off-campus. As a commuter student, it’s important for you to get involved and become connected to the University outside the classroom in order to improve your college experience. For students living off-campus in a rental, being a good citizen and neighbor are critical to success when living in a community. To support both populations, OCCSS provides resources and programming to help all students acquire necessary life skills to have a successful off-campus living experience.

Have a great year and Go Huskies! John Armstrong,

John Director, Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services Disclaimer The Off-Campus Housing Resource Guide is maintained to enhance University of Connecticut students’ access to information about resources for living off-campus and/or commuting to the University of Connecticut-Storrs Campus. While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information, Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services and the University of Connecticut make no guarantees and are neither responsible nor liable for misprints or typographical errors. The inclusion of an organization, business, or service does not imply an endorsement of the organization or service, nor does exclusion imply disapproval. Legal Information Is Not Legal Advice This information about the law is designed to help University of Connecticut students understand their legal rights and responsibilities. Legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. This publication provides general information about Connecticut landlord/tenant law. This information pertains only to Connecticut Law; this area of law differs significantly from state to state. While all publications are reviewed to be reasonably accurate, there is a chance that the governing law has changed since the information's publishing. For this reason, you should not rely on the information available here. If you find any errors or complaints pertaining to any of the pages in this guide, please contact the Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services as soon as possible. If you plan to take any action based on information you found in this publication, you must first consult an attorney. Your questions and facts are specific to your case. This publication cannot substitute for legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Under no circumstances shall the University of Connecticut or its employees be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, punitive, or consequential damages which may result in any way from your use of the information included in the Off-Campus Housing Resource Guide. Please note: Information in this resource guide may be specific to the Town of Mansfield (Storrs), CT. Updated: July 2019 4


The official UConn mobile app, myUConn, has many features including daily dining menus, HuskyCT, and a campus directory. MyUConn can be downloaded on an iPhone, iPad, Android, or Tablet. For more information visit the myUConn website at: 5

ONLINE FORMS There are many helpful forms available on the OffCampus and Commuter Student Services website. Be sure to check them out and print them off before moving in or out of your rental. We also offer roommate mediation to assist with off-campus roommate conflicts.

    

Rental Search Checklist Lease Checklist Move In/Out Checklist Roommate Agreement Form Sample Sublease Agreement

All of these and more are available at:


THE RENTAL APPLICATION The property manager may require you to complete an application and submit a deposit to reserve the rental. Generally, the application fee is intended to cover the property manager’s cost of running a credit check, a criminal background check, and/or general processing and advertising costs. The application fee should be reasonably related to the property manager’s actual costs for processing the application. The deposit to reserve the rental may be different from the security deposit. The property manager may require a cosigner if the applicant does not meet income requirements. The cosigner is often a parent or guardian. Cosigners may be required to submit evidence of income. 6

SEARCHING FOR OFF-CAMPUS HOUSING The following are ways to search for off-campus housing: 

The Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services website has an online listing service where you can search for housing, roommates, and sublets. The website for the online listing service is

Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services also offers several opportunities to find housing including Housing Fairs, special events, and information tables in the Student Union throughout the year. For information on dates and times, visit the Off -Campus and Commuter Student Services website:

Stop by Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services office for brochures and flyers on rental properties.

If you are unable to find a place that meets your needs, contact Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services for additional assistance. Our staff will provide individualized assistance to help you find the off-campus rental that is right for you!


CAN I AFFORD THIS? Financial Aid


If you are eligible for financial aid, it can most likely be used to pay for your off-campus living expenses. Typically, financial aid is applied to a student’s University fees each semester and the remainder to the student in the form of an “overage” check. An overage check is a check issued to the student in the amount of financial aid that is over the amount of fees you owe the University. The student can use the funds to pay for rent, transportation, food, etc. Some scholarships do have restrictions. Check with the University Financial Aid Office to get specific details about your financial aid package and if there are restrictions on using the funds.

Paying rent is not your only expense when living off-campus. Setting a personal budget will help you track your money and help you make spending decisions. It is also good to know how much your expenses are so you can be sure to afford your monthly rental costs. When comparing rental prices, be aware of who is responsible for utilities. The rental price of one place may seem higher than other places, but it may include the cost of some or all of the utilities. Also, don’t forget to factor in the cleaning supplies and toilet paper!

For more information visit the Financial Aid Office website at: Student Financial Aid Services Wilbur Cross Building, 1st Floor 233 Glenbrook Rd. (860) 486-2819

Simple Bills or Venmo can be used to manage your expenses while living with a roommate and splitting the bills according to your agreement.

PROPERTY ISSUES In general, tenants are responsible for giving the property manager notice of any needed repairs or maintenance. This is especially important when the problem might cause additional damage unless it is repaired. It is up to your property manager to see that your rental meets state and local fire, housing, and health codes when you move in. Your property manager must also keep the rental in good condition while you live there. You have options if your property manager refuses to fix problems with your rental. However, if you do not pay your rent (or pay it on time), you risk being evicted. You are not allowed to withhold rent even if the property manager is not fulfilling their obligations. If your property manager does not respond to your repair requests, follow these steps: 

STEP 1: Ask your property manager to make repairs through email. Be sure to save all email communication.

STEP 2: Contact the local housing code office and file a complaint. If you do not make an official complaint to the code enforcement office or other agency, you may not move to Step 3. STEP 3: File a case in court. Connecticut law allows a tenant to file a lawsuit against the property manager if the property manager fails to make necessary repairs.

IMPORTANT: You must wait at least 21 days after you file a complaint to the local code office or other agency to file your lawsuit. 8

SIGNING A LEASE FIRST: READ YOUR LEASE AND UNDERSTAND IT BEFORE YOU SIGN IT! BE SURE TO GET A COPY UPFRONT. DO NOT WAIT FOR THE PROPERTY MANAGER TO MAIL YOU A COPY. Signing a lease is a legal document that outlines you and your property manager’s responsibilities; it does not just reserve you a place to live. Once you sign the lease, you are responsible for the provisions of the lease. If there are agreements between you and the property manager regarding changes to the lease or property, do not sign the lease unless the changes are in writing. A lease can be negotiable, so ask the property manager if they will negotiate any clause of the lease that you do not like. They may not be willing, but it is worth asking. If they will not change the clause, you may want to live somewhere else if you cannot agree to the terms.

Month-to-month leases or verbal agreements with property managers may offer more flexible living arrangements. However, be aware that month-to-month agreements can be terminated or altered at anytime by the property manager with a 30 day notice. Joint and Several vs. Individual Liability? One of the most important parts of a lease is whether it is an individual or joint and several liability lease. If you signed an individual lease, you are only responsible for yourself. For example, if your roommate moves out early, you will not be responsible for paying that person’s rent or losing your security deposit. If you signed a lease that is jointly and severally liable, you and your roommates are equally responsible. For example, if your roommate moves out early, you can be held legally responsible for paying the rent. Signing separate leases does not mean you are in an individual lease and signing the same lease does not mean you are in a joint and several liable lease. It can be wise to negotiate for an individual lease with the property manager.

FAIR HOUSING LAWS IN CONNECTICUT Fair Housing Laws protect you against discrimination based on: race; creed; color; national origin; ancestry; sexual orientation; sex/gender; marital status; number of children in the family; age; mental disability; physical disability; learning disability; legal source of income; or participation in Section 8 or a Rental Assistance Program. With only limited exceptions, this law applies to property managers, real estate agents, and others who participate in the rental or sale of housing. Housing discrimination is when an individual or family is treated differently when trying to buy, rent, lease or sell a home, apartment or property because of certain characteristics or conditions. Housing discrimination may take many forms. A property manager may have many requirements other than those relating to race, religion, sex, nationality, disabilities, etc. The following are legal, most of the time IF the property manager applies the same requirements, standards, and conditions to everyone equally. A property manager may require: credit references, a security deposit of up to two months rent, and/or references from previous property managers. Housing discrimination is illegal in Connecticut. If you have questions about your rights as a renter or feel discriminated against, contact the Connecticut Fair Housing Center at : (888) 247-4401 or by email at 9

ROOMMATE(S) If you decide to live with a roommate(s), choosing the right one(s) is just as important as choosing the right place to live. Your roommate(s) will impact your social life, financial decisions, and off-campus safety. They can also be a lot of fun or added stress. When choosing a potential roommate, it is important to clearly communicate your expectations of each other. Roommate Agreement/ Roommate Mediation Service If you are having a roommate conflict that you are unable to resolve, OffCampus and Commuter Student Services (OCCSS) offers roommate mediation. An OCCSS staff member will assist you in reaching an agreed upon settlement. Contact the OCCSS office for more information. A roommate agreement is a great tool to use when and/or after deciding who you would like to live within your apartment or house. Roommate mediation is available by meeting Here are some lifestyle with a professional staff member in our office. considerations: Why is Living Off-Campus Different than  What are your study Living On-Campus? habits/expectations? Unlike on-campus housing, you cannot just switch rooms during  How do you feel about room change since you have signed a lease. The key to making guests? your roommate experience work is communication and respect for each other. If you're not talking or not respecting each other, then  Do you split the grocery you are bound to have problems which will make your off-campus bills or share groceries? experience difficult.  How will chores be Finding Roommates divided? Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services offers a Roommate  Cleaning of common Finder Resource on the online listing service available for UConn areas? students to post and search for roommates. You can also visit the  Who will set up the utility Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services Facebook Page to find listings for roommates and sublets. accounts?


Mansfield Animal Control 230 Clover Mill Rd. Mansfield, CT 06268 (860) 487-0137

A property manager can prohibit all pets from the property, or allow some and exclude others. The only situation where the property manager cannot prohibit pets or require additional deposits is for assistance animals to help a person with a disability, such as seeingeye dogs and assistance/companion animals. Many property managers who allow pets will charge a "pet deposit." If your lease prohibits pets, your property manager may be able to evict you if you have a pet on the property. If your property manager agrees to allow you to have a pet, get the terms in writing. DO NOT ABANDON YOUR PET! Pets are a lot of responsibility! If you ever find that you are no longer able to take care of your pet, contact the local animal shelters to help find them a new home! 10

SECURITY DEPOSIT What is a Security Deposit? A security deposit is any amount of money or property provided to the property manager to secure performance by the tenant under a rental agreement. It should not be more than the total of two months rent. The property manager will most likely require you to pay a deposit to cover any unpaid rent or damages you might cause during your tenancy. The deposit is refundable if there is no damage and/or unpaid rent at the end of your lease. A security deposit, however, does not give the tenant permission to damage the property during the leasing period. Getting Your Deposit Back Before you move into your rental, inspect it and record anything that is in need of repair, damaged, or hazardous with a check-in form. If you find something wrong with the rental and it is not on the check-in form, make a note of it. Ideally, your property manager should be present when you inspect the property. After the inspection is completed, ask your property manager to sign the checklist to ensure that you both agree to the outcome of the inspection. If the property manager is not available for move in, send them a copy of your findings. Furthermore, be sure you and your property manager are in agreement as to how the problems will be fixed. How these problems will be fixed should be listed in your lease.   

It is best to videotape or photograph your inspection of your rental. The key is to take pictures of everything. It is also important that you can prove that the pictures or video that you took are dated accurately. Be sure to take the same precautions when you move out of your rental to help prove your case regarding the condition you left your place in if it is challenged by your property manager. If you do not hear from your property manager within 30 days after you have moved out of the rental and have provided a forwarding address, (or if you gave a late notice of forwarding address, 15 days after you give him/her the address), or if you believe your security deposit is being unfairly withheld, contact Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services.


UTILITIES Contact the utility companies several weeks before you move in to ensure you have service. Many utility companies require a deposit and you may have to pay a connection fee when you start. Remember to disconnect your utilities, if they are in your name, when you move out. If your property manager has not provided you with contact information for the utility companies in the area, Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services has a list on the website at:

Utilities and Roommates Discuss utility billing responsibilities with roommates up front. Talk to your roommates about usage and how the bills will be divided. If a roommate decides NOT to pay their portion of the bill, be sure to pay the service provider on time, especially if it’s in your name. You can settle your personal differences later, and you don’t want late fees or other penalties when you rely on a daily utility. Not only can your utilities be shut off, but your credit can be negatively impacted. A roommate agreement can be a helpful tool to determine responsibility and hold roommates legally accountable.

Cable/Internet Provider Account number: _____________________________________________ Account holder name: _________________________________________ Billing date: _____________ Charter Communications Customer Service: 1-877-906-9121 Comcast Customer Service: 1-800-934-6489

Eversource (Electricity) Account number: _____________________________________________ Account holder name: _________________________________________ Billing date: _____________ Customer Service: 1-800-286-2000

Connecticut Water Account number: _____________________________________________ Account holder name: _________________________________________ Billing date: __________________Customer Service: 1-800-286-5700 12

SUBLEASING Subleasing is when a person, who has signed a lease with a property manager, rents their room, apartment, or house to another person(s). If you sublease, you remain on the original lease and continue to be responsible for all lease provisions and for the actions of the new tenant until the end of the original agreement. Remember, the sublease agreement is separate from the lease. 

Check your lease before you decide to sublease your rental to be sure you are permitted to sublease the apartment, house or room. You should always get permission from your property manager before trying to sublease your place.

Since you are still responsible for the actions of the new tenant, you should collect a security deposit and sign a formal sublease agreement. You should also have your agreement notarized to ensure that is it legally binding.

You may also be able to break your lease if you have found someone to replace you. Your property manager must approve and you may be responsible for termination fees. However, the advantage is that you no longer have responsibility for the rental.

Sublease opportunities can be posted on the online listing service on the Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services website.



EVICTION In some cases, property managers force tenants to leave before their lease ends. These circumstances, known as evictions, are carefully regulated by law. If a property manager starts an eviction process against you, be sure to contact an attorney or Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services immediately. Tenants have many rights and if a property manager does not properly complete the eviction process, the case may be thrown out of court. When you have a written lease, property managers can only evict you for four reasons: 

REASON 1: Failure to vacate premises after a lease ends.

REASON 2: Failure to pay rent nine days after it is due.

REASON 3: Breaking a serious law (like buying or selling drugs).

REASON 4: Breaking clauses in the lease or being a legal nuisance (for which you should receive a separate complaint letter).

Eviction Process

First, a property manager must issue the tenant a “notice to quit.” This document tells a tenant that they must vacate the premises by a certain date. If you choose not to leave on the date stated in the “notice to quit”, you will then receive a “summons and complaint.” At least a portion of this document will be an official court paper. In the upper right of this document there will be a box labeled “return date.” This date indicates when an “appearance” document must be filed with a court, not when a tenant must appear in court. Any local clerk’s office should have copies of “appearance” documents and be able to help you fill them out. Do not choose to ignore a “summons and complaint” form. If you do, you lose the eviction case by default. If you fill out all of this paperwork properly, you will have an opportunity to defend your actions in court. If you have a written lease that is still in effect, you retain basic tenant rights. This means that your property manager cannot lock your door against you or take other actions unless they file separate complaints.


TRASH AND RECYCLING Mansfield Recycling and Waste Information

If you live in an apartment complex, trash and recycling service is provided for you. Your trash goes in the dumpster, but recyclables – things like cardboard boxes, plastic containers, magazines and much more – should be placed in either the labeled oversized cans or yellow-lidded recycle dumpster next to or near the trash dumpster. If you live in a house, or other rental, trash and recycling service may not automatically be provided for you. Ask your landlord or contact the Mansfield Recycling Coordinator at 860-429-3333 to find out. Recycling reduces the high cost of trash disposal. Did you know…. That you can find free household items at the Mansfield transfer station? That over-the-counter and prescription medicine should not be flushed down the drain or toilet? That all types of plastic containers can be recycled? That most household cleaners are toxic and should be disposed at the hazardous waste facility?

CONTACT INFORMATION Town of Mansfield Department of Public Works Audrey P. Beck Building 4 South Eagleville Road Mansfield, CT 06268

RENTER’S INSURANCE Protect your Property! Whether you rent a room, apartment, or house, OCCSS recommends investing in a renter's insurance policy. It costs as little as $100 a year, covers your personal belongings in the case of theft and/or damage, and provides liability coverage in the event someone is injured either in your rental or on the property where your rental is located. 15

UCONN EXPECTATIONS Every year the majority of UConn students who live off-campus are good tenants, neighbors, and community members. For these students, semesters come and go without incident or complaint from their neighbors. However, there are always a small number of student rentals that stand out because of their or their guests’ behavior. UConn students living off-campus have the opportunity to live more independently with increased rights and responsibilities as a student, tenant, and community member. UConn students need to keep their neighbors and their rights in mind while they are living off-campus. While attending UConn, students are representing the University and have the responsibility to ensure that they and their guests conduct themselves in a manner consistent with The Student Code. The UConn Student Code can be found on the Community Standards website at:

COMMUNITY EXPECTATIONS Rentals are often located in neighborhoods where people have lived for years and will continue to live long after you graduate. The lifestyle of a college student is often different than that of an established resident in the community. Please respect this community and be a good neighbor to all of those living around your rental. Your actions have impact. 16

TOWN OF MANSFIELD ORDINANCES The Town of Mansfield has various ordinances (local laws) that impact students living on and offcampus. Town ordinances can be found on the Town’s website at: Students can avoid common violations by understanding and complying with the following ordinances! Nuisance Ordinance This ordinance regulates “any behavior which substantially interferes with the comfort or safety of other residents or occupants of the same or nearby buildings or structures. Conduct of a person or persons on any premises in a manner which is a violation of law, or which creates a disturbance of the quiet enjoyment of private or public property, may constitute a nuisance. Such behavior includes, disorderly, indecent, tumultuous or riotous conduct. Unlawful conduct includes, but is not limited to, individually or in combination with other misbehavior, excessive pedestrian and vehicular traffic, obstruction of public streets by crowds or vehicles, illegal parking, the service of alcohol to underage persons, underage drinking, fights, creating a public disturbance, breach of the peace, trespassing, disorderly conduct, littering, simple assault, threatening, harassment, illegal burning or use of fireworks, urinating or defecating in public, lewdness, criminal mischief, crimes against property, or excessive noise. Violations of this ordinance may result in a written warning to an offender or assessment of a fine of $250 for each person per violation. If any tenant or any of their guests to any landlord of the same residential rental premises on more than two occasions in any six month period, or more than three times within nine months, or more than four times within one year, as measured from the date of the first instance of nuisance, may hold the landlord of any tenant(s) or guest(s) who perpetrated such additional acts of nuisance legally responsible for a fine of $250 for each such additional instance of nuisance committed by any tenant of the landlord or guest of such tenant. Off-Street Parking on Residential Rental Property This ordinance requires that the landlord provide parking spaces (not the lawn) for tenants and a limited number of guests. Tenants or guests not parking in designated spaces are subject to a $90 fine for violation. Individuals will also be fined for parking on the bike paths that run in front of houses. Litter Ordinance This ordinance prohibits littering in public places and from vehicles. Private property owners and their tenants also have a responsibility to keep private premises free from litter. Violations of the ordinance carry a $90 fine. In certain instances, the Town can legally enter private property to remove litter, and may charge the property owner for the cost of the removal. Special Police Services If the Town needs to respond to a party or an event two or more times, this ordinance allows the Town to bill a landlord or the host of an event for the cost of the police and emergency services response including: labor costs, the cost of any necessary medical treatment for injured Town personnel, and the cost to repair any Town equipment.


TOWN OF MANSFIELD ORDINANCES Possession of Alcohol by Minors Under this ordinance, minors (currently defined as persons under the age of 21) are prohibited from possessing any container of alcohol, open or unopened, within the Town unless accompanied by or in the presence of his/her parent, guardian, or spouse who is of legal age. The ordinance also prohibits people from hosting an event at which minors are served alcohol, unless the minor is accompanied by or in the presence of his/ her parent, guardian or spouse who is of legal age. These restrictions apply to both public and private property, and violations carry a $90 fine. Possession and Consumption in Public Places (Open Container Ordinance) This ordinance prohibits the consumption of alcohol, and the possession of open containers of alcohol, in public places such as streets, parks, and parking areas. Violations of the ordinance carry a $90 fine. Noise Ordinance The noise ordinance in the Town of Mansfield limits background noise levels to 55 decibels (dBA) in a commercial district, and for residential areas 55 decibels from 8 am to 9 pm and 45 decibels from 9 pm until 8 am. On Sundays, the noise limit remains at 45 decibels until 10 am. A person or group of people according to the ordinance is not to exceed 100 decibels from 8 am to 9 pm or 80 decibels from 9 pm to 8 am. If one person talks to someone a foot away from them in a normal voice outside, that is about 60 decibels of noise. Playing a typical home stereo at a normal volume creates 80 decibels of noise. Given this, you may want to think twice about hosting an outdoor party at night. Be careful not to make your indoor party too loud, as it obviously does not take much to be over the noise limit. Also remember to only honk your horn in appropriate situations, as inappropriate use is prohibited by the ordinance. Fines for violating noise level laws can be up to $88, and at nighttime, police do not have to issue warnings before issuing fines.

TOWN OF MANSFIELD POLICE SERVICES For additional information regarding Mansfield Town Ordinances, please contact the Mansfield Residential State Trooper’s Office, the local State Police Barracks, or visit Mansfield Resident State Trooper’s Office Audrey P. Beck Municipal Building 4 South Eagleville Rd. Mansfield, CT 06268 Non-Emergency Phone: (860) 429-6024 State Police-Troop C Barracks 1320 Tolland Stage Rd. Tolland, CT 06084 Non-Emergency Phone: (800) 318-7633 or (860) 896-3200 18

TOWN OF MANSFIELD HOUSING CODE The Town of Mansfield adopted the provisions of the 2003 International Property Maintenance Code to regulate and control the maintenance of residential rental dwelling units within the town. The Department of Building and Housing Inspection ensures compliance by conducting inspections every two years. However, the office will respond to complaints by tenants. If your property manager refuses to make repairs, you can contact the Housing Inspection Office to file a complaint. If the inspector determines the problem is a violation of the housing code, the Town of Mansfield will ensure it is corrected. Students do have just as much a right to file a Fair Housing Complaint. This form can be found online through the Department of Building and Housing Inspection and all complaints should be filed with the Mansfield Department of Human Services. For all questions regarding housing in the Town of Mansfield please contact the Department of Building and Housing Inspection. TOWN OF MANSFIELD Department of Building and Housing Inspection Audrey P. Beck Municipal Building 4 South Eagleville Rd. Mansfield, CT 06268 Building Department: (860) 429-3324 Housing Inspection: (860) 487-4440

Did You Know?

Number of Occupants: Town of Mansfield Zoning Regulation No more than 3 unrelated individuals are permitted to reside in the same rental (4 if rental before 2010). The number of bedrooms or total size of the rental does not matter. Violations may result in fines or tenants being removed from the rental. *Please check with your landlord on how this applies to your rental. For more information visit: 19


 

During the Party

Check IDs. Ensure those drinking are 21 years of age. Monitor your guests’ alcohol consumption. Plan how you will intervene to slow down a guest who is drinking too much. Call 911 immediately in a case of an emergency. Monitor noise levels, parking, littering, public urination, and other possible violations to avoid having the police called. If police arrive, allow officers to do their job without interference.

Ending the Party

   

Turn away new guests Stop serving alcohol. Turn the lights on and music off. Make sure intoxicated guests are not driving or disturbing neighbors.

Make sure your yard as well as your neighbors’ yards are free from trash. Talk with your neighbors to see if they experienced any problems from the party. If so, discuss how you can resolve the situation.

After the Party

Alcohol Poisoning (Warning Signs)

As a party host, you are responsible for your guests’ health. Here are signs that indicate alcohol poisoning, which, if untreated, can lead to death: -Confusion, stupor -Vomiting -Vomiting -Slow Breathing -Seizures -Irregular Breathing -Blue-tinged skin or pale skin -Low body temperature (hypothermia) -Unconsciousness ("passing out") It's not necessary for all of these symptoms to be present before you seek help. A person who is unconscious or can't be roused is at risk of dying. Do not leave the person alone. Call 911 for help!

Good Samaritan Statement The expectation of the University of Connecticut is that all community members will advocate for the safety of others. Students are expected to seek immediate medical assistance for themselves or others when necessary. The act of calling for medical assistance for the aid of another person falls within the spirit of the University Creed. Accessing medical assistance for a person suffering from over-consumption of alcohol and/or drugs must be the first priority over any other consideration. A student’s seeking of medical assistance will be considered a favorable factor by Community Standards in an effort to promote responsible student behavior and respect for the health and welfare of all members of the University. Community Standards will consider whether a student sought medical assistance for a person in need and in most cases view the act of seeking medical assistance as good judgment as well as not deserving of sanctioning. This does not excuse or protect those who flagrantly or repeatedly violate the Responsibilities of Community Life: The Student Code. This Good Samaritan statement applies to straightforward cases of alcohol or drug over-consumption only. If other infractions occur including but not limited to, destruction to the University community, assault, or property damage, then this statement does not apply. To decrease the likelihood of future occurrences, follow-up evaluation for the involved parties will be conducted to determine appropriate measures to prevent future occurrences. 20






A new namesame great services. Counseling and Mental Health, Student Health Services, and Wellness and Prevention are now Student Health and Wellness! Because academic achievement goes hand in hand with optimal health and well-being, we offer a continuum of medical, mental health, and wellness services that are tailored to your needs as a college student.



ALERT SYSTEMS AND STAYING SAFE Off-campus safety is based on personal responsibility. If you are sharing a rental with other people, it is important that everyone has an equal role in making sure that the rental is secured when a roommate leaves for class, heads home for the weekend, spends a night out with friends, or leaves for work. The Code RED emergency notification system serves as the backbone of the Town of Mansfield’s emergency planning and communications outreach through telephone calls, text messages, emails and social media in an effort to effectively inform residents to protect life and property. Sign up for emergency notifications at     

  

 

   

Inside the Rental

Leave a light on when you are gone or purchase a utility timer that can turn lights off and on automatically. Test smoke detectors every month. Purchase renter's insurance! It is not that expensive and may save you money if there is an accident or a burglary. Keep emergency numbers in an accessible location for all of the tenants. Know your roommates' security habits. You are only as safe as your roommates allow you to be.


Always keep doors and windows locked. Ask to see company ID when utility or service people come to your door. Use a peephole to determine who is knocking before you open the door. If you are still not sure who is there, question the stranger through the door. Keep the blinds or curtains closed when you are gone or sleeping. If you or your roommate(s) lose your keys, work with the property manager to replace your locks immediately.

Outside the Rental

Get to know the area in which your rental is located. Do not walk alone after dark. Contact a friend who can drive you or walk with you. Get to know someone in the immediate vicinity who you can call in case of an emergency. Never leave your key outside under a mat or in a place accessible to a stranger.

Never Let People Know When You are Away & Take Home ALL Valuables!


GROCERY STORES AND LOCAL FOOD PRICE CHOPPER (Storrs Center) 1220 Storrs Rd. Storrs, CT (860) 553-6555 ALDI North Windham 332 Boston Post Rd. North Windham, CT (855) 955-2534

BIG Y – Mansfield 141B Storrs Rd. Mansfield, CT (860) 456-8051 BIG Y – Tolland 33 Fieldstone Commons Tolland, CT (860) 872-0304

Community Sustained Agriculture Purchase a farm share for the whole season and from June to November receive weekly boxes of fresh produce. The following farms offer CSA shares in Mansfield, CT: Cloverleigh Farm, Cobblestone Farm, Fox Meadow Farm, and Shundahai Farm.

STOP & SHOP 1391 Main St. Willimantic, CT (860) 456-8768

WILLIMANTIC FOOD CO-OP 91 Valley St. Willimantic, CT (860) 456-3611

WAL-MART SUPERCENTER 474 Boston Post Rd. North Windham, CT (860) 456-4399

Storrs Farmers Market During May through November, it occurs every Saturday from 3-6PM outside Mansfield Town Hall (rain or shine). During December to April, it occurs two Saturdays each month from 3-5PM at the Mansfield Public Library. For more information visit:



TRUCK AND STORAGE RENTALS Truck Rentals  Atlas Van Lines  Budget Truck Rental  Penske Truck Rental  U-Haul Truck Rental Storage Rentals  Coventry Self Storage 2709 Boston Turnpike, Coventry, CT (860) 742-5540  Mansfield Self and RV Storage 533 Stafford Rd, Mansfield, CT (860) 423-5677  North River Road Self Storage 35 North River Rd, Tolland, CT (860) 474-3060  North Windham Self Storage 1 Stone Gate Dr, North Windham, CT (860) 423-0497  South Windham Storage King 745 Windham Rd, Windham, CT (860) 423-1010  Stock N Lock 89 River Road (Rt.32), South Willington, CT (860) 429-9339  U-Haul Moving & Storage 29 Rt. 66 East, Columbia, CT (860) 228-1886

Banks with Local ATMs & Offices: WEBSTER BANK ATM, Banking Center 1 Royce Circle, Storrs, CT (860) 487-9404 BANK OF AMERICA ATM, Banking Center 574 Middle Tpke, Storrs, CT (860) 487-2000 ATM 9 Dog Lane, Storrs, CT Key Bank ATM, Banking Center 596 Middle Tpke, Storrs, CT (860) 487-7025 LIBERTY BANK ATM, Banking Center 1132 Storrs Rd, Storrs, CT (860) 429-5121 SAVINGS INSTITUTE BANK AND TRUST ATM, Banking Center 95 Storrs Rd, Mansfield, CT (860) 423-1603

PEOPLE'S UNITED BANK ATM 2075 Hillside Rd, UConn Campus (860) 487-2055 Inside UConn Bookstore ATM, Banking Center 1244 Storrs Rd, Storrs, CT (860) 487-5030 TD BANK ATM 95 Storrs Rd, Mansfield, CT




TRANSPORTATION WRTD (Windham Region Transit District) The Storrs-Willimantic bus provides service between the Holiday Mall in Storrs and Gateway Commons in Willimantic. This route serves UConn, East Brook Mall and Eastern Connecticut State University’s Noble Hall. For more detailed information about schedules and routes on the Storrs-Willimantic bus route, visit the WRTD website at:

The Nash-Zimmer Transportation Center The Transportation Center consists of a bus depot for UConn Shuttles, WRTD, and Peter Pan, bike racks, travel information, parking garage, free Wi-Fi Internet, Mansfield Library Express, and other amenities. For more information visit:

Auto Repair and Service- Mansfield D & D Auto Repair 1733 Storrs Rd. #A (860) 429-7471

T&B Motors 460 Storrs Rd. (860) 423-1187

Dick’s Auto Care 644 Middle Turnpike (860) 429-6448

Tony’s Garage 1856 Storrs Rd. (860) 429-0001

Marty’s Service Center 575 Middle Turnpike (860) 429-1333

Storrs Automotive 11 Dog Lane (860) 487-1231 28




ADDITIONAL RESOURCES Town of Mansfield Offices

Mansfield Town Manager Audrey P. Beck Municipal Building 4 South Eagleville Rd. Mansfield, CT 06268 (860) 429-3336

Undergraduate Student Government (USG)

USG exists to represent and advocate for undergraduate students, oversee student fee revenue, and enhance the general University of Connecticut Community. Commuter students are represented by Commuter Senators. For more information visit the USG website at:

Eastern Highlands Health District 4 South Eagleville Road Mansfield, CT 06268 (860) 429-3325

Dean of Students Office

The Dean of Students Office (DOS) serves as an advocate for students and as a centralized resource for connecting students with appropriate university and community programs, offices, and individuals. For more information visit the DOS website at: (860) 486-3426

Student Health and Wellness 860-486-4700

Whether your goal is to improve your overall health, stay fit, find support, or feel better, the Student Health and Wellness team is here to help and empower you. Housed in three sites around campus, our services and programs are designed to promote a healthy lifestyle during your time at UConn and for years to come. Medical Care Sick or injured? Need an annual exam, allergy shots, or immunizations? Do you have another medical need? Our team of physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, registered dietitians, and other college health specialists is here for you. (Located in the Hilda May Williams Building at 234 Glenbrook Road.) Pharmacy Our on-campus pharmacy carries a large selection of prescription and over-the-counter medications and medical supplies. Our registered pharmacists collaborate with your healthcare providers to meet your medication needs. (Located in the Hilda May Williams Building at 234 Glenbrook Road.) Mental Health Our team of mental health professionals understands the complexities of student life and provides an open, safe, and confidential environment to help you through issues that may interfere with your well-being and academic productivity. (Located on the 4th floor of the Arjona Building at 337 Mansfield Road.) Health Promotion and Outreach Our health educators provide a variety of programs, resources, and services intended to help you make healthy choices. We focus on the topics such as diet and exercise, sleep, alcohol and other drugs, sexual health, and stress management. (Located on the ground floor of Wilson Hall in South Campus.) 30

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES African American Cultural Center

The H. Fred Simons African American Cultural Center’s mission is to promote cultural preservation, quality leadership, and academic excellence through a unique approach to cultural advocacy, academic support, and community outreach. For more information visit the AACC website at:

Asian American Cultural Center

The Asian American Cultural Center provides resources to enhance the University’s diversity commitment through its recruitment and retention efforts, teaching, service, and outreach to the Asian American community on campus and beyond. For more information visit the AsACC website at:

Puerto Rican/Latin American Cultural Center

The Puerto Rican/Latin American Cultural Center’s mission is to improve the status of Latinos and to promote awareness, understanding, and appreciation of the richness and diversity of Latinos and Latin American cultures. For more information visit the PRLACC website at:

Native American Cultural Programs are supported by Office for Diversity and Inclusion and strive:

To actively engage and educate UConn students about Native American issues and culture through university programs and activities. To provide support, advocacy, and resources to both Native American students and students interested in the Native American culture through partnerships with UConn faculty, staff, and cultural centers, as well as with the local community and local tribes. To increase the visibility of Native Americans by promoting awareness, understanding, and appreciation of Native American culture and traditions at UConn.

Rainbow Center

The Rainbow Center serves the University of Connecticut’s diverse community of gender identities, gender expressions, and sexualities by fostering student personal growth, leadership development, community engagement; and providing resources, services, education, training, and advocacy. For more information visit the Rainbow Center website at:

Women’s Center

The mission of the Women’s Center is to educate, advocate, and provide support services for the achievement of women’s equity at the University and within the community at large.

For more information visit the Women’s Center website at:



The Student Union Commuter Lounge

The commuter lounge is located on the first floor of the Student Union (Room 108). The lounge is a great place to hang out while on campus. It includes a large screen television, day lockers, information racks, bulletin board, refrigerator, microwave, and sink. The Student Union can serve as your home away from home. It offers a convenience store, food court, student organization offices, cultural centers and the commuter lounge. The Student Union also hosts many events, programs and meetings. For more information about the Student Union, including hours of operation, visit their website at:









Norwegian Wood 609 Merrow Road (Rt. 195) Tolland, CT 06084 860-872-2735

1, 2 & 2 bedrooms with loft apartments Heat & Hot Water included* Balcony or patio ~ A/C units Laundry facilities on site 5 minutes from UCONN *In Select Units 36















Off-Campus Housing Fair 2019-2020 Off-Campus Housing Fairs! The Off-Campus Housing Fairs are held twice a year, once in the Fall & once in the Spring. The fair features local property management companies, landlords, Town and University Offices and other organizations to provide students with information about accommodations and resources for off-campus living. Save the Dates: November 7th, 2019 March 5th, 2020 10AM-3PM

Commuter Appreciation Week Each semester, one full week is dedicated to our true commuters during Commuter Appreciation Week. This is a time to acknowledge the extra effort commuter students make to come to campus each day. Events are held in convenient locations for UConn Commuters such as the Student Union, Fairfield Way, and various parking lots. All events are free of charge! Commuter Appreciation Weeks 2019-2020: Fall Semester: October 7th - 11th Spring Semester: April 6th -10th 44

Profile for Ashley O'Connell

UConn Off-Campus Housing Guide  

This is the complete guide to all things living off campus at the Storrs, UConn Main Campus!

UConn Off-Campus Housing Guide  

This is the complete guide to all things living off campus at the Storrs, UConn Main Campus!