Sitio das Feiteiras de Baixo | São Vicente – Madeira Tel: (351) 291 840 160 | Fax: (351) 291 840 169 Email: email@example.com | Site: www.estalagemdovale.com Facebook : www.facebook.com/estalagemdovale General design and data analysis Guido Gouveia Review ACINM Prof. Duarte Mendes Translation QVO Legis, Unipessoal Lda. Logo and Graphic Design Ziraa Printing and Finishing MEIO, Publicidade & Marketing 1st edition November 2013 2000 copies
Tel :+ 351 291 850 050 Fax:+ 351 291 853 933 Movel :+ 351 96136082 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org website: www.hoteleuromoniz.com
Geologia do Arquipélago da Madeira, Carvalho, A.M. G.; Brandão, J.M. (1991), 1ª edição, Museu Nacional de História Natural Recursos Hídricos da Ilha da Madeira, S. Prada, M. A. Gaspar, M. O. Silva, J.V, Cruz, M. M. Portela, G. R. Hora Elucidário Madeirense, Padre Fernando Augusto da Silva e Carlos Azevedo de Meneses, 1940-1946 Veredas e Levadas da Madeira, Raimundo Quintal, 1994 A floresta Laurissilva da Madeira – Património Natural, Secretaria Regional do Ambiente (SRA), 2004 Arquitectura Popular da Madeira,Victor Mestre, 2002 Boaventura, Evangelização, devoção e património cultural, António Marinho Matos 2003 As Reservas Marinhas da Ilha da Madeira, Secretaria Regional do Ambiente e dos Recursos Naturais, 2012 Descubra as áreas Protegidas do Arquipélago da Madeira, Serviço do Parque Natural da Madeira, 2012 Madeira Paraíso Natural, Funchal, 2011.Secretaria Regional do Ambiente (SRA)
GEOCID Madeira – Cartografia Direcção Regional de Estatística da Madeira (DRE), Secretaria Regional do Plano e Finanças Turismo da Madeira, Direcção do Turismo da Região Autónoma da Madeira Direcção Regional de Florestas e Conservação da Natureza (DRFCN), Secretaria Regional do Ambiente da Região Autónoma da Madeira (SRA) Direcção Regional dos Assuntos Culturais, Imóveis classificados, Secretaria Regional da Cultura, Turismo e Transportes SIPA – Sistema de Informação para o Património Arquitectónico, Instituto da Habitação e da Reabilitação Urbana, I.P. (IHRU). Delegação Regional da Madeira do Instituto Geográfico e Cadastral, Direcção de Serviços de Informação Geográfica e Cadastro (DSIGC) Câmara Municipal do Porto Moniz
Madeira Câmara Municipal de São Vicente Câmara Municipal de Santana Empresa de Electricidade da Madeira (EEM) Instituto doVinho, do Bordado e do Artesanato da Madeira (IVBAM), Secretaria Regional do Ambiente e dos Recursos Naturais Serragem da Achadinha, Serragem de São Jorge, Santana Madeira Biosfera MARMAC, Conhecimento, Promoção e Valorização para utilização sustentada de Áreas Marinhas Protegidas da Macaronésia, Universidade dos Açores Grutas e Centro de Vulcanismo de São Vicente, Sociedade de Desenvolvimento do Norte, Vice-Presidência do Governo Regional da Madeira Núcleo Museológico ROTA DA CAL Montanha Madeira: Canyons Madeira
Porto Moniz, São Vicente and Santana
Geology 9 Water 15 Heritage 27 Gastronomy 45
Introduction 1 MACARONESIA The name originates from Greek and means “blessed islands” or “fortunate islands”, a term used by the ancient geographers for the islands west of the Strait of Gibraltar. The bio geographical area of Macaronesia includes the Savage Islands and the archipelagos of Madeira and the Azores, the Canaries and Cape Verde. It also includes the so called “African macaronesian enclave” located between the archipelago of the Canaries and Cape Verde. All these areas share many biological characteristics with communities of plants and animals which are unique.
LAURISILVA (Laurel Forest) is the name given to a type of humid, sub tropical forest endemic to Macaronesia, composed mainly of trees from the Lauraceae family namely the laurel, mahogany, the Madeira Laurel and the Canary Laurel. The word Laurisilva is derived from Latin Laurus (laurel, lauraceae) and Silva (forest, wood). It is one of the world habitats with the greatest diversity of plants per km². The Autonomous Region of Madeira still has the biggest and best preserved patch of Laurisilva forest in the bio geographical area of Macaronesia. Approximately 35 640 ha., of regional forest, it is considered that 15 000 ha are of natural forest that constitute the Laurisilva forest. It is a Biogenetic Reserve of the Council of Europe since 1992. It was distinguished in 1999 by UNESCO as a World Natural Heritage Site, the only of its kind at present in Portugal. Approximately 90% of the classified Laurisilva forest is located in these municipalities.
Hotel Moniz Sol ****
Between the blue Sea and the green “Laurissilva” Forest Vila do Porto Moniz – T. +351 291 850 150 www.hotelmonizsol.com
GENERAL DATA The total area of the Island is 736, 75 Km2. The total area of the three municipalities is 252,20 Km2. It is equivalent to approximately, 35% of the territory: Municipality of Porto Moniz: 80,40 Km2 (1) Municipality of São Vicente: 78,70 Km2 (2) Municipality of Santana: 93,10 Km2 (3) The resident population in the three municipalities is equal to 6% of the total population resident in the island a total of 16 153 inhabitants: Municipality of Porto Moniz: 2 711 habitantes (4) Municipality of São Vicente: 5 723 habitantes (4) Municipality of Santana: 7 719 habitantes (4) Climate: Mild. Summer has an average temperature of 24 °C and Winter averages 17 °C. (1) Data Municipality of Porto Moniz (2) Data Municipality of São Vicente (3) Data Municipality of Santana (4) INE - Census 2011
4 Characterization of the Municipalities
Municipality of Porto Moniz Municipal Holiday: 22 of July Parishes: Achadas da Cruz, Porto Moniz, Ribeira da Janela and Seixal. Its first settlement must have taken place in the third quarter of the 15th Century. Initially Porto Moniz was part of the Machico municipality. On the 31st October 1835, during the reign of D. Maria II, Porto Moniz was elevated to a Municipality. ItÂ´s name is associated with one of the oldest settlers, Francisco Moniz, of noble blood and a native of the Algarve, who took residence around the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da ConceiĂ§ĂŁo. The settlement, there dedicated itself to livestock raising, cereal plantation and the extraction of wood. Around the 18th Century the main activity became viniculture, followed by potatoes which in the 19th Century constituted the production base and staple diet. Currently the municipality of Porto Moniz has a much more diversified economy especially the tourism sector and the area of restaurants and hotels.
Municipality of S. Vicente Municipal Holiday: 25th of August (anniversary of the creation of the village) Parishes: S達o Vicente, Ponta Delgada and Boaventura. It is one of the largest municipalities of the Autonomous Region of Madeira. About 68% of its territory is covered by forest. The first locations to be exploited could have been: S達o Vicente and Ponta Delgada, probably in the mid 15th Century. The municipality of S達o Vicente was elevated to village and centre of municipal headquarters on the 25th August 1774, resulting from the division of the port authority of Machico. According to legend the name S達o Vicente originated from the saint appearing in a cave at the mouth of the stream where a chapel was built in his honor. Farming, livestock production in the area of poultry, pigs and goats are the main highlight of the primary sector. The furniture industry, cement production, bread making and the extraction of aggregates and sands constitute the secondary sector. All activities linked to small trade and hotel and catering services, rural tourism and restaurants predominate in the tertiary sector.
Municipality of Santana Municipal Holiday: 25th of May Parishes: São Roque do Faial, Faial, Santana, Ilha, São Jorge and Arco de São Jorge. About one third of the Municipality is covered by Laurisilva forest. The municipality of Santana was created in1832. The parish of Santana, created on the 2nd of June 1564, is currently the centre of the municipality. It have been elevated to a city on the 1st of January 2001. Up until 1862 the municipality was constituted by six parishes: Porto da Cruz (1577), São Roque do Faial (1848), Faial (1550), Santana (1564), São Jorge (1515) and Arco de São Jorge (1676).From 1852, Porto da Cruz, became part of Machico. In 1989 was officially given parish status to Ilha. Farming has been the basis of economic activity occupying 60% of the working population in the municipality. The industries of fruit cultivation and horticulture have the greater levels of investments. Currently trade and provision of services in the Hotel and Catering industry are also important. Santana was the birth place of one of the main Portuguese writers, Baltazar Dias, a playwright from the 16th Century
Monte Mar Palace Hotel **** Sítio do Montado | 9240-210 SVC Ponta Delgada | Madeira | Portugal | Tel: +351 291860030 | Fax: +351 291860031 email@example.com | www.montemarpalace.com | www.facebook.com/montemar.palace
Estalagem do Mar **** | Juncos - Fajã da Areia | 9240-104 SVC São Vicente| Madeira | Portugal | Tel: +351 291840010 | Fax: +351 291840019 firstname.lastname@example.org | www.estalagemdomar.com | www.facebook.com/estalagem.domar
Geological formation of the archipelago The archipelago of Madeira comprises the islands of Madeira, Porto Santo, Selvagens and Desertas, it is of volcanic origin and is located in the Atlantic Ocean. The group formed by Madeira, Desertas and Porto Santo originated from a hot â€œPlumeâ€?, which started in the Upper Mantle. In the case of Madeira, this kind of volcanism is located in the interior of the African Plate. The Island of Madeira is divided in two great massifs: - The Central Volcanic Massif, which occupies the central region of the island. It is crossed by a dense network of veins oriented in all directions, there being a certain convergence in the area of Pico Ruivo, which constitute the morphology of the main streams.
- The Volcanic Massif of Paul da Serra corresponds to a structural platform maintained by basaltic spills, slightly SW sloping.The first drain offs were more extensive occupying the total plateau surface even descending along valleys existing at the time and reaching the sea.They are confined to the valleys of streams such as S.Vicente, Seixal and Porto Moniz. The North facing coastal areas as a group are steeper, higher and more continuous, than the South. Around Madeira limestone reefs were formed, being known at present on the island the outbreak of limestone reef of S.Vicente.
Central mountainous massif
MUSEUM CENTRE – THE LIME ROUTE This private Museum Centre is located at Sítio dos Lameiros, Municipality of São Vicente. Its cultural, educational and touristic side seeks to value and promote the natural and built heritage. The limestone outbreak of Barrinho is one of the occurrences of this type of geology in the Island of Madeira which is currently known. This centre covers an approximate area of 12 000m2 where there are two limestone quarries, a lime oven (which was working until the 1960´s) and other property to support farming production namely haystacks, terraces and water canals (levadas). The first historical references to the production of lime in São Vicente dates back to the 17th Century. It is classified since 2005 as a Group of Public Regional Interest.
CAVES AND VOLCANISM CENTRE Sítio do Pé do Passo, São Vicente www.grutasecentrodovulcanismo.com
These are located on the cliff opposite the São Vicente stream, at the bottom of the valley, where the Island started to form. The caves were formed from a volcanic eruption, 890 thousand years ago, at Paul da Serra which then descended to the sea.The outer part of the lava was exposed to lower temperatures which rapidly solidified, while inside it was still running with many gases forming a series of lava tubes which form this complex. These groups of eight “volcanic tunnels” display a total development of over 1000 meters long, whose maximum height varies between 5 to 6 meters. It is the biggest known in the Island of Madeira. The Volcanism Centre combines “Culture and Knowledge”, in a pavilion that allows its visitors to witness the recreation of the geological evolution of the caves and the simulation of the birth of the Archipelago of Madeira. 2
PICO DAS PEDRAS FOREST PARK QUEIMADAS FOREST PARK The Pico das Pedras Forest Park is located 5 km from Santana. In this place lies the Information Center of the Natural Forest Island - Laurisilva. Hence, we can leave for several walking tours to access the Queimadas Forest Park, led by the Caldeir達o Verde water canal. The Queimadas Forest Park is a secluded location, 20 min walk from Pico das Pedras Forest Park, situated 900 meters high. We find here the shelter of Queimadas, a construction with a straw covered roof, aiming to Rangers, who still retains the original features of the old houses of Santana. Located on the outskirts of the Laurisilva, in these parks, may be observed the forest flora native of Madeira. It can be observed also some of the characteristic birds of the island.
Achada do Teixeira - Pico Ruivo Distance: 2.8 km (+2.8 km return) Duration: 1.5h Maximum Altitude: 1862m Minimum Altitude: 1535m Start: Achada do Teixeira End: Achada do Teixeira
This trail rises up to Pico Ruivo. Close to the shelter house of Pico Ruivo it accesses 3 other trails: Vereda da Ilha, Vereda do Pico Areeiro and Vereda da Encumeada.
This area integrates the European network of sites of community importance, Rede Natura 2000, with the name of central mountainous massif, encompassing the highest peaks and heights of 1200 m altitude. The trail rises along the “saddle” which separates the slopes of Faial from those of Santana. It provides on the left side magnificent landscape views over the valley of Ribeira Seca and on the right side to Santana mountain.
PICO RUIVO It is situated in the parish of Ilha in the municipality of Santana. With its 1862 m of altitude, it is the third highest mountain in Portugal and the highest in the archipelago of Madeira, the rock is an important element of the landscape. It displays two main types of plant coverage: formation of heather moorland and vegetation dominated by herbaceous plants.
ACHADA DO TEIXEIRA This place, located in Santana, in days of good visibility has a panoramic view over the whole Municipality. There is a curious basaltic rock formation which is found after passing the shelter house, called “Homem em pé” (Man standing up).
Hydric resources of the Madeira Island The subterranean hydric resources in Madeira are the main source of supply, an Island with 267 785 inhabitants (census 2011). The catchment is obtained through galleries, tunnels, boreholes and the use of springs. It is recharged mainly in the higher and flatter areas of the Island, the latter benefitting from the water originated by the fog retained in the vegetation. The annual volume of subterranean resources consumed in public supply, industry, watering and energy production is 185 000 000 m3.
The streams are natural aqueducts that generally run in the beds of deep and tight valleys that flow plentifully in Winter.They spring from the slopes of the central range and flow to the ocean. The main streams existing in these municipalities are: Ribeira dos Moinhos: springs from serra da Boaventura. Ribeira do Tristão: springs at Pico da Pedreira. Ribeira da Janela: originates at Paúl da Serra, Fontes do Rabaçal and Assobiadouro. It is one of the longest and fastest flowing of the Island. Ribeira do Seixal: springs from Pico do Assobiadouro. Ribeira de São Vicente: springs from Picos dos Ferreiros and Cumeada. Ribeira do Porco: springs at boca das Torrinhas. It is one of the fastest flowing of the island. Ribeira de São Jorge: springs at Pico do Canário. Ribeira do Faial: springs at Pico Ruivo. It is also known as ribeira Seca.
Restaurante Varadouro / Juncos / S.Vicente tlf: +351 291 842 062 | e-mail: email@example.com Especialidades:Ventrecha de atum, Polvo à lagareiro e leitão à bairrada
Fanal Lagoon, Ribeira da Janela
HARNESSING HYDRIC RESOURCES 1
WATER CANALS (Levadas) The network of levadas is an amazing example of Man´s intervention in Nature. The levadas originated due to the need to bring water from the northern facing slopes, where it is abundant to the Southern part of the Island, where the majority of plantations have always been situated. The levadas started to be built in the 16th Century. The most recent date from the 1940´s. These channels have, in Madeira, a length of over 1 400 km. They are included in a group of protected areas, of which the highlights are the Natural Park of Madeira and the Ecological Park of Funchal. Some of the existing routes in the municipalities: PR – Small Routes Exisitng Pedestrian Paths in the Autonomous Region of Madeira, officially approved by the SRA - Secretaria Regional do Ambiente e Recursos Naturais.
PR 7 Levada do Moinho (Ribeira da Cruz - Lamaceiros) This trail starts at ER 101, next to Ribeira da Cruz, that separates the municipalities of Porto Moniz from Calheta. The levada do Moinho (Watermill) is known as such due to several watermills that existed along its path, of which there still exists the ruin of three:Achadas watermill, Cancelas watermill and the Levada Grande watermill. PR 9 Levada do Caldeirão Verde (Queimadas - Caldeirão Verde - Caldeirão do Inferno) This trail starts at Parque Florestal das Queimadas and travels through the terrace of the Caldeirão Verde levada, at 990 metres height in the municipality of Santana. This levada was built in the 18th Century and starts at the foot of the São Jorge stream. It carries water for irrigation of the agricultural fields and farmland of the parish of Faial. Tel :+ 351 291 850 050 Fax:+ 351 291 853 933 | Movel :+ 351 96136082 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | website: www.hoteleuromoniz.com
PR 10 Levada do Furado (Ribeiro Frio - Portela) This trail starts at Ribeiro Frio, municipality of Santana at 860m height , and travels through the terrace of the Serra do Faial levada. It descends to the area of Lamaceiros and finishes at the Portela viewpoint, in the municipality of Machico. This levada is one of oldest belonging to the State to irrigate agricultural fields and farmland of Porto da Cruz. PR 14 Levada dos Cedros (Fanal - Curral Falso) This trail starts at ER 209 at the Fanal area in the plateau of Paúl da Serra and follows the levada dos Cedros, reaching the parish of Ribeira da Janela. The levada dos Cedros originates at Lombo do Cedro at a height of 1000 meters. This levada constitutes one of the most primitive built on the Island, as it was built in the 17th Century.. PR 16 Levada Fajã do Rodrigues (Fajã da Amã - Ribeira da Janela) This trail starts in Ginjas in the municipality of São Vicente and travels through the terrace of the Fajã do Rodrigues levada. Traced at an altitude of 580 meters, it springs from the bed of the Ribeira do Inferno, which separates the lands of Seixal from those of São Vicente, up to the place of Achada do Loural, with the aim to irrigate the agricultural fields of São Vicente PR 18 Levada do Rei (Quebradas - Ribeiro Bonito) The trail starts at the Water Treatment Plant at Quebradas in São Jorge and finishes close to the mother of the levada, in Ribeiro Bonito. Other existing routes in the Municipalities not officially approved: Levada do Norte This route starts at Boca da Encumeada and runs through all the western area of S. Vicente at an altitude of 1000 m. It was built in the 1950´s with the aim to power the Hydroelectric Station of Serra d’Água and supply the irrigation for the Southern coast of the Island. Levada do Galhano - Lamaceiros This route starts close to Lagoa dos Lamaceiros, in Porto Moniz. It has a total length of approximately 15kms to its origin in the place of Galhano, in the parish of Fajã da Ovelha. Sítio do Serrão | 9240 - 046 Boaventura Tel: 00351 291 860 888 | Fax: 00351 291 863 877 Email: email@example.com www.facebook.com/solar.deboaventura
FOUNTAINS The lack of a network of mains water has promoted the creation and construction of various fountains throughout the Island to supply water to households in Madeira, supplied by spring water. The oldest known fountain is found at the port entrance of Porto Moniz and was built in the 18th Century. In the parish of São Roque do Faial, municipality of Santana a Fountain Competition is held every year on the 23rd of June where the local population adorns the fountains, which are then judged and prizes are awarded. A similar event is held at the parish of S.Vicente. Some existing fountains in the municipalities:
1887 Fountain, Sítio da Vila, Rua Forte de São João Batista Monument of Local Value since 2000. It is an urban niche type fountain, embedded in the Wall of a private residence in front of the Parish Church. It is a painted plastered masonry structure with back rest and basin in basalt stone quarry pavement of the region.
Fountain of Santo António, Built on the 1st of March 1939 it has been a Monument of Local Value since 2000. It is a fountain with plaster masonry, back rest and covered in tiles and rose paint. In times past this fountain was a place of passage and socializing of the local and outside population. It was situated on the crossroads that linked São Vicente to Porto Moniz.
Fountain of Largo O Redondo, Sítio do Açougue It is embedded in a boundary wall of a farm in the municipal road. Structure made of plaster and painted masonry, back rest, basin in basalt stone quarry of the region.
There are several fountains spread out over the parish, some of them in black quarry stone. The majority were built in 1939, at the time when the first large network of mains water was built. Examples of this are the fountains of Vargem de Cima, Feiteira de Cima, Feiteira de Baixo, Passo, Poiso and in the village of S.Vicente at Rua da Praça in the churchyard.
Açougue Fountain – Built in black quarry stone, previously this place was a point of passage for travellers on the Royal Road 23. Terreiro Fountain – Built on the site of Terreiro on the junction of the roads that connected the center of Ponta Delgada to the Bom Jesus Parish Church with the path to Terreiro. Church Fountain – Situated at the entrance of the Parish Church. This fountain replaced Poço dos Romeiros, which in past centuries, quenched the thirst of many devout pilgrims of the Sr. Bom Jesus.
Fajã do Penedo Fountain – It is an embedded niche fountain in masonry with a basin built in black stone quarry. It is located close to the Parochial House of Fajã do Penedo. Fountain built on the churchyard of the Church of Santa Quitéria. It is one of the few fountains known in the island that is built of red stone quarry.
Fountain of Santa Ana / General Craveiro Lopes Designated as Monument of Local Value by the DRAC, in 2000. This fountain was inaugurated on the 1st of June 1955 and is located close to the Main Church of Santana.
Ilha: Fontanário da Achada de Marques, Fountain built in 1939. São Jorge
Fountain of Namorados – It is a painted fountain with blue and white tiles that recreates the parish in past times, the parochial church and the image are currently part of the parish coat of arms.
SAWMILL, Achadinha, S達o Jorge Monday, Friday and Sunday: 14:00h to 18:00h; Wednesday: 10h00 to 12h30 / 14h00 to 18h00. This sawmill is the only museum with a single saw powered by water in operation in Madeira. It is fed by water from the levada do Rei. It was used to cut and transform wood in order for it to be worked. Since 1998 it is considered a Monument of Local Value by the Direc巽達o Regional dos Assuntos Culturais (DRAC).
WATERMILL, Achadinha, S達o Jorge Every day from 10h00 to 12h30 / 14h00 to 18h00 This recently restored watermill fed by the waters of the levada do Rei, is over three hundred years old. It is the last water driven mill in working condition in Madeira. It still mills wheat, corn, barley and rye.
HYDROELECTRIC STATIONS (DAMS) The energy produced by dams, is renewable and non pollutant, it harnesses the latent energy contained in large water masses namely tides, rivers and streams.
Ribeira da Janela Hydro Electric Power Station
Fajã da Nogueira Hydro Electric Power Station
This dam was finished in 1965 and is situated in the mouth of Ribeira da Janela, municipality of Porto Moniz. This dam makes use of water channeled from Ribeira da Janela to the place of Lamaceiros, towering above the mouth of the stream at a height of 410 meters. The length of the channel of Ribeira da Janela is 14.631 meters. This dam was one of the last hydro electrical projects built in the second phase of the hydro agricultural plan that started in the fifties and started operating in 1971. This dam is fed by water from the Caldeirão do Inferno, at the head of Ribeira de S. Jorge, which is transported by the Juncal levada. The Fajã da Nogueira dam is built next to Ribeira da Ametade, in the parish of São Roque do Faial, municipality of Santana at 625m altitude. These two dams are projects of the Architect Raúl Chorão Ramalho.
COMMUNITARIAN WASHING WELLS These wells were used for washing the clothes of the population, they existed in places where water was abundant and constituted a strong cultural heritage of the lifestyle of the people of these municipalities. Some of the existing washing wells in the 7 municipalities: Achadas da Cruz: Achada da Arruda, Casa da Dolores, Pinheiro Ribeira da Janela: Ribeiro Escuro Seixal: Sítio da Portada Ponta Delgada: Ribeiro da Fonte Santana: Next to the Town Hall Ilha: Poços do Granel São Jorge: Poços da Ribeira Funda Arco de São Jorge: These wells are located close to the Church, in the place of Quebrada.
MADEIRA AQUARIUM www.aquariodamadeira.com The Madeira Aquarium opened in 2004. It is located in Porto Moniz, at the Fort of Saint John the Baptist. This old fortress was built to protect the coastal area from Moorish landings in the 17th and 18th Century. The Aquarium has 11 thematic tanks with over 70 species that populate the seas of Madeira.
> Madeira´s Directory of companys, products and services
> Diretório de empresas, produtos e serviços da Madeira
9 SÍTIO DA ROCHA DO NAVIO NATURE RESERVE
The name Rocha do Navio originated from the ship wreck of a Dutch schooner that happened in the 19th Century as a result of strong winds. Located in Santana, the Reserva Natural do Sítio da Rocha do Navio has a total area of 1710 hectares and a total length of 6259 meters. It is exclusively marine and is delimited between Ponta do Clérigo, to the east, and Ponta de São Jorge, to the west, and the line defined by the maximum low tide and the 100 meter bathymetric line, including the (Isle) Ilhéu da Rocha, Vinhas and the Ilhéu da Viúva. It has been designated a marine reserve since 1997 in order to protect this fragile marine ecosystem. Here you will find marine birds like the “garajau” and the “cagarra”. In June 2011, UNESCO awarded the distinction of “Biosphere Reserve”, to the combination of sustainable use and biodiversity conservation.
10 Rocha do Navio Cable Car
Working hours: 10h00-18h00 Built in 1997 so local farmers could access their plantations more easily it is also open to visitors. It provides access to the Reserva Natural da Rocha do Navio.
> Diretório de empresas, produtos e serviços da Madeira > Madeira´s Directory of companys, products and services
11 11 LAKES, BEACHES AND NATURAL POOLS
Some of the existing places in the municipalities: Municipality of Porto Moniz The Natural Pools of Porto Moniz, are located among the lava rocks which are filled by the tides. Natural Pools of Seixal Beach of Calhau da Fonte (Seixal) Fanal Lagoon (Ribeira da Janela) Municipality of São Vicente
Beach Complex of São Vicente. Provides infra-structure to support water sports, as well as a bar and restaurant, solarium and a 620m promenade that connects Varadouro to Baía dos Juncos. Beach Complex of Ponta Delgada. Includes two sea water swimming pools, solarium, bar changing rooms and first aid services.
Municipality of Santana
Calhau de São Jorge – A small stony beach and sweet water lagoon. There is a complex of changing rooms that has three pools, a restaurant, solarium and support infra structures. Beach Complex of Ribeira do Faial. It has a small stony beach, a natural sea water swimming pool, a children´s swimming pool, a sandy playing field, a multi sports pavilion, solarium, children´s park, bar and restaurant, changing rooms and first aid.
Lugar do Tenente (junta às piscinas municipais) 9270-095 Porto Moniz | Tel: 291 850 080 | Fax: 291 850 089 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.pensaosalgueiro.com
Madeira Island has exceptional conditions for the practice of canyoning, by its geological, climatic, hydrological and natural attractions. It is considered by professionals one of the best places in Europe. Some of the existing routes in the municipalities: Canyoning Ribeira do Inferno – Length of 3100mt, drop of 570mt. About 22 rappels. Largest rappel 30mts. Canyoning Ribeira João Delgado – Length of 2500mt, drop of 1380mt. Canyoning da Pedra Branca Canyoning Ribeira do Seixal – Length of 3200mt, drop of 875mt. Canyoning Ribeira do Hortelã – Length of 2650mt, drop of 885mt. Canyoning Ribeira Água do Vento – Length of 1600mt, drop of 945mt. Canyoning Ribeira das Voltas da Matilde – Length of 600mt, drop of 260mts. Canyoning Ribeira do Passo – Length of 1500m, drop of 610mt. Canyoning Ribeira de Água D’alto Canyoning Ribeira Poço do Bezerro - Length of 2500mt, drop of 350mt. 12
Hotel Moniz Sol ****
Between the blue Sea and the green “Laurissilva” Forest Vila do Porto Moniz – T. +351 291 850 150 www.hotelmonizsol.com
Brief historical summary of the settlement of the archipelago First villages and primitive constructions The archipelago started to be settled in 1420. It was divided into three port authorities with the nomination of the respective captain donee: The Island of Madeira was divided into two, an East/West dividing line was fixed between Ponta de Oliveira (Caniço) and terminating at Ponta do Tristão (Porto Moniz). The third is the island of Porto Santo. Port authority of Machico: Tristão Vaz Teixeira (1440) The current municipalities of Porto Moniz, São Vicente and Santana were part of this authority. Port Authority of Funchal: João Gonçalves Zarco (1450) Port Authority of Porto Santo: Bartolomeu Perestrelo (1446) The greatest difficulty was the abundant tree coverage which occupied the entire surface of the land. The settlers helped by the mild climate and fertile soil dedicated themselves to the construction of their own dwellings and the establishment of small villages called “populated plantations” where many chapels were built which were then transformed into “curates” and “chaplaincies” that became the future parishes which were officially constituted. The primitive constructions took advantage of the plentiful supply of wood as a raw material and thatch (wheat straw) obtained from the plantation of cereals and enabled man to resort to these means to build dwellings.
The settlement of the Island of Madeira had its greatest development in the second half of the 15th Century and the first half of the following century as a result of the increase in farming and the industries that derived from it, such as the production of sugar, wine as well as the export of wood.
Heritage 27 Round House, S達o Jorge
Military Heritage 1
Fort of Saint John the Baptist, Porto Moniz In 1730 Porto Moniz, which was the most important harbour in the north of Madeira was subject to an attempted landing which was repelled by captain Francisco Ferreira Ferro, thereby avoiding the imprisonment of many people and vessels that were sheltered there. To prevent a similar assault a fort was built at the mouth of the port with two artillery pieces. In addition an observation post and lodgings for the soldiers were also constructed. In November 1730 the fort was reinforced with a further three artillery pieces transferred from Funchal fort to provide greater readiness in defense. In 1751 the fort was reconstructed and took on a hexagonal configuration. 2
Fortim do Faial, Sítio do Tojal, Faial Built at the beginning of the 20th Century, this small fort is an observation post against invaders. A semi circular plant it has ten cannons of weak power pointed towards the sea which were fired during the festivities dedicated to Nossa Senhora da Natividade. These cannons according to accounts belonged to English ships from the 18th and 19th centuries. It has a support house where the exhibition room of the Parish Council of São Roque do Faial is located. From this point it is possible to observe on clear days the Island of Porto Santo, the serra da Penha d’Águia and the northern part of Ponta de São Lourenço.
Lighthouse of Porto Moniz Structure made up of a hexagonal tower set at a height of 3m in terms of the ground and 65m in terms of the sea level. Powered by solar energy it is visible to a distance of 8 nautical miles. It´s construction dates from the late 20th Century.
Lighthouse of Ponta de São Jorge Structure made up of a cylindrical tower of 14m height and adjoining building. It is set at an altitude of 271 meters. It has a main beacon which is visible to a distance of 15 miles. It´s construction dates from 1959.
Some of the existing churches and chapels in the municipalities:
Municipality of Porto Moniz 5
Main Church of Porto Moniz The current main church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição, the patron saint of the Parish, was built between the years of 1660 to 1668. It has a valuable main altar.
Church of Santa Maria Madalena, Site of Santa, Porto Moniz. It is one of the oldest temples in the north coast of the Island of Madeira. In the month of July a pilgrimage is held in honour of Santa Maria Madalena
Church of Nossa Senhora do Livramento, Achadas da Cruz This primitive chapel with the invocation ofVera-Cruz, near to the place of Calvário, was built in the 16th Century. A new chapel was erected in the same place and enlarged in the 20th Century giving rise to the layout of the current church.
Church of Nossa Senhora da Encarnação, Ribeira da Janela The first chapel to invoke Nossa Senhora da Encarnação was destroyed by a flood in 1558. The current church was built in 1699. 5
Tel: 291 852 778 Email: email@example.com
Rua Eng. Américo, nº 3 9270 - 095 Porto Moniz Tel: +351 291 853 194 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Church of Santo Antão Seixal Santo Antão is the patron saint of the parish from its creation, on the 20th June 1553. Its feast is commemorated on the 17th of January, the date of his death. The devotion to Santo Antão is very old and it probably was the first colonists that brought this belief to Madeira. Represented by a pig, people attributed the status of protector of domestic animals. In Porto Moniz, with the commemoration of this saint, Christmas celebrations come to an end.
Municipality of São Vicente 10 Main Church of São Vicente The construction of the first shrine dates from the last quarter of the 15th Century, but it was in 1692 that the construction of the actual church was concluded. Of a longitudinal plant, it consists of a central and two lateral naves, the central being the highest. It also has a bell tower of quadrangular base with a lean to on the left and an open spire covered with blue and white tiling. The main facade has a Mannerist style portal with a perfectly rounded arch topped by a grey stone cross in local stone. The main chapel is separated by a painted high triumph arch and it displays a neoclassic altarpiece in gilded golden woodwork and is separated from the central nave by a grate. On the left facing wall there is a fountain in painted stone in a Manneristic style. 9
31 Contactos: RESTAURANTE ORCA ROTUNDA DAS PISCINAS Nº 4 - 9270-095 PORTO MONIZ TEL: 291 850 000 - FAX: 291 850 019 EMAIL: restauranteorca @hotmail.com
ESPECIALIDADES FILETE DE ESPADA COM BANANA ESPETADA TRADICIONAL
11 Chapel of São Vicente, Sítio do Calhau, São Vicente It is also known as the Capela de Nossa Senhora do Calhau. Dedicated to Saint Vicente, it is one of the ex-libris of the municipality. Built in 1692, this very small chapel and with very simple lines, was sculptured from a basaltic block that was in the centre of the mouth of the stream of São Vicente, in the exact location where the saint reputedly made his appearance. Of longitudinal plant it has a gable facade with an arched portal in quarry stone topped with a Latin cross. The interior is in a baroque style which holds a beautiful altar and a ceiling with paintings of Saint Vicente. This chapel which has resisted floods was restored in 1885 keeping its simple and original layout. 12 Chapel Tower of Nossa Senhora de Fátima, São Vicente A small unusual chapel built as a tower. Facades of great simplicity and a late revivalist style. The sound of its mechanical clock is audible throughout the parish. 13 Chapel of Nossa Senhora do Livramento, São Vicente This small chapel was raised in 1683. It has a mannerist style and displays a simple rectangular plant, with single nave, and facade in gable with bell in basaltic stone.
14 14 Church and Santuary of Bom Jesus, Ponta Delgada The construction of the Chapel of Senhor Bom Jesus at the end of the 16th Century was probably the origin of the church. It has a Neo manneristic style and a longitudinal plant with an adorned front piece. In the interior the structure of the chapels and the triumph arch are painted, the altarpiece is in white and golden gilded neoclassic woodwork and the sacristy retains baroque elements. 15 Chapel of the Magi Kings (Capela dos Reis Magos), Ponta Delgada This chapel has simple lines in the exterior and richer interior decoration. The highlight is the altar with three canvasses depicting the adoration of the Magi Kings, St John the Baptist and a church bishop. It was built by the owners at the beginning of this century. 16 Main Church of Boaventura The first place of worship has been the hermitage of St. Crist贸v茫o, which left no traces. In 1728 was authorized the construction of a new chapel, which was opened in 1731 and was subsequently rebuilt in 1835 (the present church). The cure of Boaventura was created on the 4th February 1733, but dependent on the cure of Ponta Delgada, until his elevation to the parish on the 18th November 1836. 15
Municipality of Santana 17 Parish Church of Arco de São Jorge In the 17th Century the parish possessed a Chapel dedicated to Nossa Senhora da Piedade. Today, nothing is left of that chapel, only the name of the site, the place of the Chapel where it existed. The current church was built in 1744, dedicated to S. José. 18 Main Church of São Jorge The first church of this parish, Church of Calhau, was built in 1475 on the site of the Calhau. From this primitive Church, destroyed however, the image of the Saint survived and is still venerated today together with the three key alms-box built in 1647 which is found at the new church. The new church was built in the 18th Century over the foundations of a small chapel of the 15th Century the actual Church was concluded on the 17th September 1761, being the fourth temple and fifth parochial center to serve this parish. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful examples of the rural baroque Portuguese style. It consists of a single nave and a lower and narrower main chapel with a lean to bell tower and sacristy. It has an important work of gilded wood, one of the most admired in Madeira, the main altar and the pulpit being outstanding features. It is designated a Monument of Local Value since 1995 by the Direcção Regional de Assuntos Culturais (DRAC). 17
19 Chapel of São Pedro, São Jorge In 1598 there were at the stream of São Jorge two shrines, one of São Sebastião and São Pedro that were destroyed by storms and floods. The construction of the existing chapel on the site of São Pedro dates from the end of the 17th Century. It is a small chapel of simple longitudinal plant with a main facade consisting of portal with a perfectly rounded mannerist style arch, topped by a frieze and cornice in local stone. The interior roof is in wood and has a major rococo altarpiece. 20 Main Church of Santana The main church of Santana was built in 1698. The current Church does not display traces of its original features, as a result of the reconstruction works carried out in 1745. The bell tower and sacristy were built initially on the North side and then transferred to the South side. The monument has a baroque style. It has a major altar with an altarpiece in gilded wood and a canvas in the center that represents Santa Ana and São Joaquim. 21 Chapel of Santo António, Site of Achada de Santo António, Santana The Chapel of Santo António dates from the 15th Century and was one of the first shrines to be built in the municipality of Santana. It was rebuilt in 1730. Its name originates from Santo António one of the local patron saints.
22 Main Church of Faial The first church was situated close to the stream. The chapel would have been in a very ruined state in the first half of the 18th Century, being rebuilt in 1744 but it ended up being destroyed by stream flooding. In 1747 the new Church was constructed. In 1753 the gilded works of the main altar were undertaken as in the parochial residence. The church was concluded in 1785. The church would again be reconstructed in the first half of the 1960´s, after a fire that completely destroyed the belongings of the old parochial church. The day of the Nativity of the Virgin, its patron saint is on the 8th of September. 23 Chapel of Penha de França, Faial Built in 1685 it is a small shrine of single nave built inside a “penha”, volcanic block of red stone quarry. It has a facade with portal in red stone quarry with a perfectly rounded arch topped by a cross. The bell tower is defined by a small opening with a perfectly rounded arch in the same facade. Currently there is an annual pilgrimage on the third Sunday of October. 24 Parish Church of São Roque do Faial The first church was built in 1551 at Chão da Ribeira. In 1883 the church was completely destroyed. Today there is in the exact same place a replica of the church as a souvenir. The current Parish Church was built in 1925 at Chão do Cedro Gordo. 22
tlf: +351 291 575 070 Localização: Ribeiro Frio
Civil Heritage 25 TERRACES (Poios) Poios are the local name for terraces that are excavated on slopes these are usually supported by basaltic stone walls or buttresses of volcanic origin to contain land movement. With the construction of small terraces in arable land past generations built one of the most beautifully human engineered landscapes defeating the islandÂ´s difficult terrain. These are the richest pieces of cultural heritage of Madeira, the intervention of Man in Nature. It displays persistence in the conquest of land for farming that ensures the production of sustenance for its inhabitants. 26 Regional Road (ER) 101 With the need to ensure road access between the parishes of the municipalities some of the most impressive roads were built that were carved on the steepest and most towering limestone slopes of this coast, meandering and traversing deep streams and crossing in â€œfuradosâ€? where the stone itself is its firm support. It constitutes a strong legacy of the great effort by these people in the conquest of their own territory. 26
37 Tel :+ 351 291 850 050 Fax:+ 351 291 853 933 | Movel :+ 351 96136082 Email: email@example.com | website: www.hoteleuromoniz.com
PEDESTRIAN PATHS (Veredas) The “veredas” are pedestrian paths that were “plowed” through the slopes of the Island with the aim to establish links to the places in the south and north of the Island to facilitate commercial exchanges, like for example wine, which was sold and/ or exchanged for other products. It also ensured access to the forest to exploit wood resources. At festive times it would enable the participation of the population in traditional processions and festivities in other parishes. Some of the existing routes in the municipalities: PR 1 - Vereda Areeiro - This path connects the highest peaks on the island: Pico Ruivo (1862m) and Pico do Arieiro (1817m), covering part of the area of the Central Mountainous Massif it is an integrating area of Rede Natura 2000. PR 1.1 - Vereda da ilha - This path starts at the shelter house of Pico Ruivo and finishes at the parish of Ilha. It is characterised by a drop of 1376 m, has a length of 8,2 Km and a duration of 3h. At Vale da Lapa this path connects to the route that links Pico das Pedras with Queimadas to Caldeirão Verde. PR 1.2 - Vereda Pico Ruivo - This path rises to Pico Ruivo (1862m). In the area of Boca das Torrinhas between Torrinhas and Pico do Jorge, it crosses the old path that connects the parish of Boaventura to Curral das Freiras. PR 11 Vereda dos Balcões - This path begins and ends on regional road E.R.103 in Ribeiro Frio, it has a length of 1,5 Km (+ 1,5 Km return), with a duration of 1h30m. PR 13 - Vereda do Fanal - The path starts at ER 209, in Paul da Serra (Assobiadouros) and finishes next to the Fanal Forestry Office enabling access to Ribeira da Janela through paths PR14 Levada dos Cedros and PR15 Vereda da Ribeira da Janela. PR 15 - Vereda da Ribeira da Janela - This path connects the center of Ribeira da Janela to the overlooking forrested area between 400 and 820m altitude. It starts at ER 209, in the area of Curral Falso and finishes on the same road in the center of Ribeira da Janela. PR 17 Caminho do Pináculo e Folhadal - This path allows you to follow three different levadas, two of them built before 1900, Levada do Monte Medonho and Levada do Caramujo, and the Levada do Norte. Its main features of interest are (Lagoon) Lagoa do Caramujo, (Shelter House) Casa de Abrigo do Caramujo and views over the valley of S.Vicente. The path starts on E.R. 110, on the climb from Encumeada to Paul da Serra (Lombo do Mouro) and finishes at Encumeada, with a length of 14Km and duration of 6h 30m, at an altitude between 1620m and 1000m.
27 PR 21 - Caminho do Norte - The path begins at Boca da Encumeada and finishes at the site of Ribeira Grande in the Municipality of S.Vicente. It runs at heights of between 1000 and 320m altitude. PR 22 - Vereda Chão dos Louros - This circular path can be started at several points. It enables to travel the surrounding area of (Forest Park) Parque Florestal do Chão dos Louros (Rede Natura 2000) and to access Ribeira Grande from the existing connection of PR21-North Route and at the natural view point on the path to gain views over the whole valley of São Vicente. Other existing paths in the municipalities not officially approved: Path of Ribeiro Frio - It starts at Ribeiro Frio, in the parish of São Roque do Faial, and finishes at Portela, with a length of 10 Km. Vereda da EntrosaIt is a difficult path on the old Royal Road 23. It connects the parish of Arco de S. Jorge and the site of S. Cristóvão in the parish of Boaventura crossing Ribeira do Porco. Along its route there are ruins of old warehouses, windmills and devices used to make sugar. Queimadas - Caldeirão Verde - Queimadas - This path has a length of 6 Km and a duration of 1h30. Vereda do Calhau das Achadas This pedestrian path starts at the cable car of Achadas da Cruz. It accesses the beach. Fanal Forrestry Office - Vereda da Cavaca - Chão da Ribeira The path starts at the Forresty Office in Fanal. Within 50m, there is a natural viewpoint known as “Fio”, because a metal cable started from there which was used by the population of Chão da Ribeira in Seixal, for the transport of supplies. We follow through Vereda da Cavaca de terra. PR – Small Routes Exisitng Pedestrian Paths in the Autonomous Region of Madeira, officially approved by the SRA Secretaria Regional do Ambiente e Recursos Naturais.
28 Some of the existing buildings and places of interest in the municipalities: 28 Calhau das Achadas, Porto Moniz A fajã is a small area of flat fertile land caused by the collapse of cliffs. The fajã das Achadas da Cruz, or Calhau das Achadas, is a fajã that built up over time as a result of the various coastal landslides. To support agricultural activity which is developed in the “calhau”, small agricultural warehouses were built and vats for the production of wine. All these works were done using only the paths that provide pedestrian access to Calhau. Later the transportation wire was built that allowed the transport of materials. In 2004the cable car was inaugurated which permitted the transport of people. Here it is possible to go on a walk with 29 Chão da Ribeira, Seixal This site holds one of the best kept clusters of the so called ‘Palheiros’, which were used as small store rooms to support farming and as shelter for the breeding of animals. Currently these constructions are essentially used as weekend getaways. Through the valley slopes stretches one of the best preserved patches of Laurisilva. Taking advantage of the abundant water all year round in ribeira do Seixal, there is a trout farm that can be visited all year round.
30 RUINS of Calhau de São Jorge It was at this place that the parish of São Jorge was created and it served as a military defense and entrance and exit of merchandise, having been the most important commercial hub in the North of Madeira Island. The settlement of the Parish of São Jorge happened in 1425. We can still find the ruins of the original Parish center where namely sugar cane devices were built at the start of the settlement. Of the old constructions the arch of entrance of the rock is the best preserved. The first church was constructed in 1475 at this site. Since 2003 this core is classified as a Monument of municipal Interest. 31 Elementar House of São Jorge Also known as the Round house this housing model built of wood (structure and external walls) with a straw covered roof (wheat straw) of “four waters” (a roof consisting of four intersecting sides). These houses, in certain circumstances could be transported in order to change place or to be leveled. Currently, there still are in the parish, living houses that may be visited. 30
32 Place of Achada do Marques, Ilha The term «Achada» means a flat plateau of volcanic origin which is located at a certain height, usually with steep slopes above and below it. Achada do Marques is an almost flat small village located at about 450m height, surrounded by high mountains that are part of the Parque Natural da Madeira classified as an area of Protected Landscape. This classification aims to preserve not only Nature and the landscape but also the habits and traditions of this place. Spread out over the terraces the haystacks that guard the cows also supply organic fertilizer for poly culture.Thanks to its microclimate it produces lemons of excellent quality. 33 Tile House (Casa do Ladrilho) House-Museum Dr. Horácio Bento de Gouveia, Ponta Delgada This is a typical Madeira house where Horácio Bento de Gouveia a native “madeirense” teacher, journalist and writer was born. It is an excellent example of civil and popular architecture of the 18th Century. The layout of the house is irregular with five ground floor shops and a residential first floor all built of stone, quarry stone and wood indigenous to the region. In 1986 the house was adapted to a House-Museum On the 27th October 1993 it was considered a building of Local Cultural Value.
34 Wine and Vineyard Museum, Arco de São Jorge This museum was inaugurated on the 29th September 2005, it´s located in an old recovered winery where the instruments used to produce wine are exhibited. You may see the vats and taste or acquire a variety of table wine and liquors. Outside this space there are gardens with several native Laurisilva trees.
35 Transformer Sub Stations The arrival of electric energy The transformer sub stations are installations where the electrical energy is transformed from medium to low voltage feeding the distribution network. Some of these stations were designed by the Architect Raúl Chorão Ramalho, usually characterized by the two basaltic gables in local stone. The management is of the responsibility of Empresa de Electricidade da Madeira (EEM).
Some of the existing view points in the municipalies: Ribeira da Lage View Point, Porto Moniz The escarpments of Ribeira da Lage provide stunning views over the sea, where it is possible to see the small existing isles spread out along the coast. Cortado View Point Located on the old Regional Road in the area of Faial it provides a panoramic view over the center of the municipality. 36 Ribeira da Janela View Point The view point of Ribeira da Janela also known as the view point in honor of Dr. Francisco Rodrigues Jardim is located next to the church of Ribeira da Janela. From this view point we can admire the view over the valley of Ribeira da Janela from the mountain to the sea and see part of the isle of Ribeira. 37 Véu da Noiva View Point This view point is on the old road connecting São Vicente to Seixal. The view point gets its name Véu da Noiva (Bride´s Veil) due to the proximity to a waterfall that gushes a strong torrent down the slopes, the foam it produces reminds us of a bride´s veil.
The typical regional gastronomy It’s very fertile soils and mild climate have facilitated the cultivation of a large variety of horticultural products that are part of the preparation of several dishes. Some of the predominant horticultural products:
WHEAT - The cultivation of wheat in the archipelago is as old as its settlement. Many historians state that the main reason to settle the island of Madeira was due to the need to find land to sow the bread that was missing in the country. It is sown from December to March and the harvest is made in June and July. CORN (cob). - Originating from America, its introduction in Madeira was later than wheat, barley and rye. According to some studies the corn crop was introduced in 1847. The corn flower porridge known as “milho” was the staple diet of the population and is still prepared today. SEMILHA (potato) - It was cultivated in Madeira since 1760. Its name derived from the Spanish word “semilla” which seems to have been written on a label that came with the first tubercles to the island, imported from the Canary Islands. POTATO - It is a tuberculous root originating from South America. It was introduced into Madeira during the 17th Century. Potato cultivation occurs in the Island of Madeira up to a height of 700 meters. It is used in preparation of homemade bread and jams and is consumed cooked or baked as a side dish. YAM - The first species was probably introduced in 1640. This plant was already used by the peoples of Egypt and Old Greece. Its harvest, since plantation could take up to two years and it is generally harvested between March and April. It is usually planted in wet and humid places. CABBAGE - It is supposed to originate from sea rocks of England and the French Channel Coast. Cabbage can be cooked, sliced in small pieces and used in the preparation of soups. BEAN PLANT - Very cultivated in vegetable gardens it originates from America. Green beans are known by the name of “vaginha” and are very used as a side dish in the preparation of dishes and soups.
Some of the typical dishes of these municipalities: Limpet Rice - Arroz de lapas - Limpets are a mollusc that adheres to the rock in the maritime coast. It can be grilled, marinated or served in Limpet rice. Cabbage Soup - Sopa de couve - It is one of the most typical soups on the Island. It is made of cabbage, pumpkin, salted pork meat and savory. Fried Fish - Peixe frito - This fish dish is normally garnished with dry flat semilhas with salt. Cut semilhas with beans and corn cobs - Semilhas cortadas com feijão e maçarocas - It is one of the typical dishes of this region and can be served with fish or meat. Caldo da Romaria - This dish is associated with the religious festivities in the Senhor Bom Jesus procession, in Ponta Delgada (on the first Sunday of September) and the Nossa Senhora do Rosário procession (on the first Sunday of October). It is a dish that is easily prepared and was used to sate the appetite of the people in the procession. It is prepared with boned beef, pork lard and vegetables grown in the fields. Meat, Wine and Garlic - It is a dish associated with the Christmas season, prepared with pork meat which is marinated in a mixture of garlic, vinegar of wine, laurel and other aromatic herbs. Night Meat - Carne da Noite - Pork with aromatic herbs. It is so called because it is the first meat to be eaten at dinner on the day of slaughter of the pig. Fish Soup - Sopa de Peixe - This dish is prepared with the types of fish most consumed by the population. Wheat Soup - Sopa de Trigo - This nutritionally rich soup was part of the staple diet for working men on the fields during the day´s work. It was prepared with salted pork meat and vegetables cultivated in the fields (wheat, beans, semilha, potatoes, pimpernel, onion, yellow pumpkin, aromatic herbs and pepper). Sítio do Calhau - 9240-018 São Vicente Tel: +351 291 842 338 - Faz +351 291 842 114 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.facebook.com/restaurante.q.mar
Wines with Denominação de Origem Protegida “MADEIRENSE” Wines with Indicação Geográfica Protegida “TERRAS MADEIRENSES” From the end of the 1970´s, the Region started studies to adapt several regional, national and foreign grape varieties to produce table wine. In 1984 experimental fields were planted with an initial selection of grape varieties. As fruit of the results obtained some winemakers launched themselves on this new challenge, starting the first plantations, from around 1993, that were exclusively dedicated to table wine. Presently quality table wine produced in Madeira can have two Denominations: Wines with Denominação de Origem Protegida “MADEIRENSE” and Wines with Indicação Geográfica Protegida “TERRAS MADEIRENSES”, for white, red, rosés or rosy table wines. Authorised grape varieties WHITE GRAPES: Verdelho, Arnsburger, Terrantez, Sauvignon Blanc, Malvasia Cândida, Chardonnay,Tália, Sercial, Chenin Blanc, Alvarinho Lilaz, Malvasia Bianca, Rio Grande, Malvasia Cândida Branca, Malvasia Fina, Malvasia Branca de S. Jorge and Carão de Moça RED GRAPES: Tinta Negra, Maria Feld, Malvasia Roxa, Merlot, Bastardo, Cabernet Sauvignon, Deliciosa, Complexa, Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Barroca, Aragonez and Syrah
Sítio da Vila - 9270-095 Porto Moniz Tel: +351 291 853 180 - Fax: +351 291 853 725
Email: email@example.com www.facebook.com/restaurante.cachalote
Agricultural Fairs / Gastronomic Fairs Regional Exhibition of Annona (Sugar apples) Parish of Faial, Municipality of Santana - Date: February/March It was created in 1990 to promote this fruit with a large production in this parish. This event provides the opportunity to taste confectionery and liquors prepared with this fruit 2 Regional Lemon Exhibition Parish of Ilha, Municipality of Santana - Date: May Exhibition created to promote this fruit with a large production in this parish. Opportunity to taste dishes, confectionery and liquors prepared with this fruit. Agricultural and Livestock Fair Parish of Achadas da Cruz, Municipality of Porto Moniz - Date: July Held every year and organized by the Secretaria Regional do Ambiente e Recursos Naturais, this fair has the objective of encouraging the development of agricultural and livestock activity. Up until 1980 this fair was known as “Feira do Gado”, where only animals were exhibited. From that year on, the fair extended itself to Agriculture. 3 Fair of Field Soups Parish of Boaventura, Municipality of S.Vicente - Date: June Organized by the Casa do Povo da Boaventura, it is held every year. It is an opportunity to see and taste the good field soups made from local products, namely, sopa da côrte, onion soup, pumpkin soup, wheat soup, watercress soup, soup of thrashed corn, the procession broth and mashed bread. Sample of delicacies at Christmas Parish of Boaventura, Municipality of S.Vicente - Date: December It is held every year to taste the traditional Christmas delicacies (dishes, desserts and liquors). It begins the start of Christmas festivities in Boaventura. Gastronomic Fair of Santana - Date: July Organized by the Secretaria Regional dos Recursos Naturais e Ambiente, through the Direcção de Serviços de Extensão Rural and the Municipality of Santana. 1
“Bútio” Restaurant – Hotel Moniz Sol **** Open to general public with Regional and International cuisine Vila do Porto Moniz – T. +351 291 850 150 www.hotelmonizsol.com
Map Porto Moniz, São Vicente and Santana North Madeira Commercial and Industrial Association Founded in 2004, this association has as its main objective the promotion and defense of its associates in the areas of Services and Commerce, Industry and tourism with both public and private bodies. Its area of intervention encompasses three municipalities in the North of the Island: Porto Moniz, São Vicente and Santana, establishing partnerships among them and promoting its dissemination. It provides administrative and institutional support, contributes toward professional and business training, improving the business activity of the municipalities. Rua Forte de São João Baptista nº4, 9270-095 Porto Moniz, Ilha da Madeira Telef: +351 291 853 313 / Telm: +351 925 790 574 / Fax: +351 291 853 313 http://acinmadeira.weebly.com
Business consulting Government incentives Support in creation, installation and management business Accounting services Tax consultancy Tlf.: +351 291 098234 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pensão Salgueiro - Lugar do Tenente (junta às piscinas municipais) 9270-095 Porto Moniz | Tel: 291 850 080 | Fax: 291 850 089 Email: email@example.com | www.pensaosalgueiro.com