DAILY NEWS IN ENGLISH
Indonesia says 5,000 now missing after quake and tsunami
The number of people believed missing afterearthquakes and a tsunami hit Indonesiaʼs Sulawesi islandlate last month has risen dramatically to 5,000, the countryʼs disaster management agency said on Sunday. The agency said it had so far recovered 1,763 bodies as the death toll from the 7.5-magnitude earthquake continues to rise. Rescuers continued to search for victims on Sunday with little hope of finding survivors 10 days after the September 28 disaster, but authorities said efforts to retrieve bodies would end on October 11. Read more: Indonesia quake: ʼTsunami warning system needs improvementʼ
Rome warns Germany not to deport migrants back to Italy
German news agency DPA has learnt that authorities in the southern German state of Bavaria were planning to start deporting large groups of migrants back to Italy. According to the European Unionʼs Dublin Regulation, the cases of asylum-seekers must be processed at their point of entry into the 28-nation bloc. As a German border state, Bavaria is a point of entry into Germany from other European nations. DPA said it was unclear whether German authorities in Bavaria would go ahead with deportations amid rising tensions with Rome over the migrant issue. The flights would normally have to be accompanied by federal police officers, and would thus have to be coordinated with Berlin.
230/2018 • 8 OCTOBER, 2018
Wife of Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu goes on trial for fraud Both Netanyahus deny any wrongdoing
Deadly earthquake hits Haiti At least 14 people have died after a 5.9-magnitude earthquake struck just off the northwest coast of Haiti late on Saturday. Authorities said more than 100 people were injured when several buildings collapsed. The quakeʼs epicenter was about 20 kilometers (12 miles) west-northwest of the coastal town of Port-de-Paix at a depth of 11.7 kilometers, according to the US Geological Survey. It was felt as far away as the capital, Port-auPrince. At least seven people were reported to have been killed in Port-dePaix, and another four in and around the town of Gros-Morne further to the south. President Jovenel Moise called on Haitians to "remain calm" amid reports of panic in several places in the north.
Eastern Europeans filling hundreds of thousands of new German jobs The wife of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Sara, is being tried on charges of misusing state funds for buying private meals. Sara Netanyahu appeared in a Jerusalem court on Sunday on the first day of a trial over heralleged overspending of state moneyon catered meals at the prime ministerʼs official residence, despite a full-time chef having been employed to cook. If convicted, Netanyahu, 59, could face up to five years of prison. She has been charged with fraudulently obtaining more than $100,000 (€86,7000) from the state for ordering hundreds of meals from restaurants, bypassing rules that forbid using such monies if a cook is employed at home. The meals allegedly came from a number of well-known restaurants in Jerusalem, including an Italian restaurant, a Middle Eastern grill joint and a sushi restaurant. A statement from her lawyers on Sunday said the food had been ordered against her will. The court hearing was adjourned after a short time until November 13. The trial is expected to
last for months. It is not the first time Sara Netanyahu, an educational psychologist, has come before a court over alleged misbehavior. In 2016, a labor court in Jerusalem found her guilty of abusing an employee at the official residence and ordered her to pay $42,000 in damages, while in 2018, the Netanyahus won a libel suit against an Israeli reporter, Igal Sarna, who claimed Sara had once thrown her husband Benjamin out of a car onto the side of the road during an argument. She has also long faced other allegations from employees of extravagance, abusive behavior and mistreatment. Her husband, Benjamin Netanyahu, is himselfembroiled in a series of corruption investigations. Both he and Sara Netanyahu say the charges are politically motivated and fabricated by a hostile media. Sara married Benjamin Netanyahu in 1991 in a second marriage. They have two sons.
Every second job being created in Germany is being filled by a foreigner, according to Federal Employment Agency (BA) figures. The number of people registered as employed in July was 700,000 more than in the previous year, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung reported, using the BA figures. Of that number, Germans filled 330,000 positions and foreigners 370,000. Read more: Germanyʼs planned immigration law – what you need to know In total, there are currently about 1.5 million registered employees from Eastern Europe working in Germany, including 422,000 Poles and 349,000 Romanians.
weather today BUDAPEST
10 / 21 °C Precipitation: 0 mm