A CLEAN BREAK Refine your beauty routine from the roots up with these eco-friendly products. BY DANIELLE AGUGLIARO
Cleanliness aside, beauty products lift our confidence. But more often than not, your daily routine could be hurting the environment, and even yourself. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) is a non-profit organization that helps consumers live healthier lifestyles in a sustainable environment. It conducts research on product ingredients and their possible harmful effects on users and the environment. Thanks to the EWG, you can learn which of your beauty essentials are both budget- and eco-friendly. The EWG has strict criteria for product verification: void of questionable additives, full transparency of ingredients, and ethical manufacturing. Below are some EWG-verified products that can help you look your best, and do what’s best for the environment.
1. ORGANIC TO GREEN COCO OIL LIQUID COCONUT OILS ($36) These jack-of-all-trade coconut oils vary in scent and purpose— from anti-aging to antibacterial. Organic to Green incorporates all-natural botanical oils to fit all skin types, and ensures a permanent liquid form. As an all-in-one cleanser, makeup remover, moisturizer, and shaving lotion, these coconut oils are an essential.
2. W3LL PEOPLE NARCISSIST FOUNDATION STICKS ($28.99)
ELLE voted this naturally formulated foundation as one of its most essential beauty products. These sticks come in eight shades and their weightless satin finish will give you a healthy, no-makeup glow.
3. ISOI BULGARIAN ROSE LIP TREATMENT BALM ($21.97) This natural product perfectly moisturizes lips and adds subtle color. Every ingredient used in this balm is broken down on isoi.com. The website even compares the balm’s ingredients of vegetable oils and natural fragrances to luxury cosmetics’ toxic chemical preservatives and colorants. isoi makes us seriously reconsider what chemicals we apply on our lips.
4. REJUVA MINERALS PUR LASH VOLUMIZING MASCARA ($11.95) Rejuva’s Pur Lash makes your eyelashes pop for all the right reasons. Made from all-natural, vegan materials, this mascara volumizes without the harmful chemicals that irritate the skin and eyes.
5. ATTITUDE NATURAL TREATMENT SHAMPOO ($9.95) 5
Most popular shampoo brands contain trace amounts of carcinogenic compounds that are not only associated with cancer, but also can build up in your body. ATTITUDE provides the alternative with its all-natural ingredients that will have you feeling just as fresh and clean without any of the potential health risks.
Syracuse University's premier fashion and beauty publication Fall 2016 Issue