Volume 25 Issue 2 Summer 2013
SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
2013 Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan Heritage Architecture Excellence Awards -
Arcola's PUBLICATIONS AGREEMENT #41484517
First Building -
Saskatoon History Review Celebrates th 25 Anniversary
Heritage Partnership Fund FUNDING FOR COMMUNITY-BASED HERITAGE INITIATIVES If you have a project that needs money to Help Heritage Happen in your community next spring or summer visit our website right away or call the office at 306-359-0933 or at 1-877-903-0933.
Here's a brief description of each of the four grants. Heritage Site Consultant Report Grant (Maximum $1,000) Success with any conservation project depends on its viability. AHSS supports conservation through providing grants for professional services like structural analysis, architectural design, legal consultation, and construction cost analysis to provide building owners the opportunity to more accurately gauge the feasibility, cost, and methodology for site conservation and re-use.
Heritage Forums Grant (Maximum $1,500) This matching grant program is intended to help community-based organizations to defray costs of hosting conferences, presentations, panel discussions, seminars, workshops, awards ceremonies, and other educational forums that encourage or empower people of the community or province to acknowledge, preserve and/or promote their built historic and cultural heritage.
Heritage Publications Grant (Maximum $1,500) This matching grant is intended to help community-based organizations to defray the cost of printing materials that promote public interest in membership, local programs and activities.
Heritage Communications Grant (Maximum $200) This matching grant is intended to help the Society's community-based organizations to defray the cost of printing brochures or programs that promote public participation in local forums like conferences, presentations, panel discussions, seminars, workshops, awards ceremonies, walking tours, and other educational forums that encourage or empower people of the community or province to acknowledge, preserve and/or promote their built historic and cultural heritage.
Visit www.ahsk.ca for further details and applications.
is committed to controlling collection, use and disclosure of personal information provided by our readers.
Architectural Heritage Society of Saskatchewan HELPING HERITAGE HAPPEN
We are booking advertising space for the Fall 2013 issue now.
WORTH SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
To reserve your space, please contact AHSS Administration 202 - 1275 Broad Street, Regina, SK S4R 1Y2; Phone: 306-359-0933 or 1-877-431-1399 Toll free Email: email@example.com
2 | WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
We may contact readers periodically, conducting market research in an effort to improve the magazine. Any person, family or organization may subscribe to WORTH free of charge by calling (306) 359-0933 or 1-877-903-0933 toll free. Return undeliverable copies to: WORTH Magazine 202 â€“ 1275 Broad St. Regina, Saskatchewan S4R 1Y2
SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
IN THIS ISSUE VOLUME 25 ISSUE 2 Summer 2013 WORTH Magazine is published by the Architectural Heritage Society of Saskatchewan (AHSS) Inc. Submissions to WORTH are welcomed and are assumed to be factually correct. We reserve the right to edit copy for clarity and length. Copy submission deadlines: Spring edition: February 25 Summer Edition: May 15 Autumn Edition: August 15 Winter Edition: November 15 Editor: Joe Ralko Design: b-creative group © 2009 ISSN 1926-3198 ON OUR COVER: Northern Spruce Housing Project – Prince Albert Printed on FSC certified paper 50% recycled and 25% post-consumer recycled content. Acid and elemental chlorine free.
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR OF SASKATCHEWAN
Heritage Architecture Excellence Awards
Pages 4 – 13 Core Strength Pilates Studio, Moose Jaw.............................................5
Tilbury Design, Moose Jaw ....................................................................6 Kassie's Jewelry, Moosomin..................................................................7 Northern Spruce Housing Project, Prince Albert...............................8 Masonic Temple, Regina ........................................................................9 1912 Tornado Legacy Project, Regina.................................................10 Nutana Collegiate Institute, Saskatoon.............................................11 E.A. Davies Building, Saskatoon..........................................................12 Round Plain Stone Church,Wishart...................................................13 Saskatoon History Review's 25th ...............................................................14 Arcola's First Building ...............................................................................16 100-Year-Old Regina Apartments' Facelift..............................................18 In The News................................................................................................20 Moose Jaw's CPR Dining Hall Went in Up Flames...................................21 History Built Brick By Brick .....................................................................22
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR OF SASKATCHEWAN
Heritage Architecture Excellence Awards
he Architectural Heritage Society of Saskatchewan has recognized the efforts of owners, architects and contractors to preserve the province's built heritage through an awards program that began in 1996. The name of the program and even the name of the not-for-profit society have evolved over the years. Goals and objectives have remained the same â€“ to help heritage happen across Saskatchewan. Her Honour the Honourable Vaughn Solomon Schofield became Saskatchewan's 21st Lieutenant Governor last year. She is the third lieutenant governor to be patron of the Society's prestigious awards.
This year two projects each from Moose Jaw, Regina and Saskatoon along with one each from Moosomin, Prince Albert and Wishart was recognized. This brings the total number of projects to have achieved this honour since inception of the program across the province to 139. Dedicated to promotion, protection and preservation of Saskatchewan's built heritage for residents and visitors to our province, the Society has a province-wide membership of almost 125 individuals and is a federally-registered charity. There now are eight award categories. However, the adjudication committee continues to reserve the right not to have to bestow awards in each category every year.
Categories for Building Projects 1. 2. 3.
Exterior Restoration- preservation or restoration of a heritage exterior. Interior Conservation- preservation or restoration of a heritage interior. Rehabilitation- sensitive and innovative solutions to functional and code compliance problems, retaining existing heritage character. 4. Adaptive Re-Use - sensitive upgrades and associated new construction consistent with original heritage character. 5. Sympathetic New Construction - sensitive in-fill, additions, signage, detailing and replicas. 6. Landscape, Engineering and Agricultural Works - conservation or rehabilitation of building related landscapes and/or utilitarian construction that may have architectural features.
Categories for Community Engagement 7.
Education, Signage, Monuments & Interpretation- interpretive programs, publications, trails, signs and monuments. 8. Long-Term Stewardship of a Heritage Property - This category was created in 2009 to recognize continuing efforts by owners to maintain their heritage property.
Architectural Heritage Society of Saskatchewan HELPING HERITAGE HAPPEN
4 | WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
Core Strength Pilates Studio 303 High Street West, Moose Jaw
his wood frame structure, formerly St. Paul's Presbyterian Church, was constructed in 1883 at 3rd Avenue NW and Fairford Street West in Moose Jaw. Over the next five years the building was moved twice. It was moved a third and final time in 1901 to its present location at 3rd Avenue NW and High Street. The church served as a Methodist church from 1903 to 1954 and then as the Chinese United Church until 2011.
The current owners, Caron Botha and family, donated the pews to the City of Moose Jaw for possible future use and have returned the interior woodwork to their original condition. Their vision and dedication has demonstrated the viability of adapting this landmark church to its current use while maintaining the character of one of the oldest buildings in Moose Jaw. The current owner has successfully adapted the building to its use as a Pilates studio while remaining sensitive to the building's historical integrity, including returning the sanctuary, balcony, staircase and floors to their original appearance. Owner: Caron Botha and family. Citation prepared by Ross Herrington WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE | 5
Tilbury Design Ltd Ltd.. 111 Main Street, Moose Jaw
riginally constructed in 1909 as an infill between two existing buildings it was designed to offer retail space on the main floor with offices and a residence on the upper floor. Troy and Raelyn Tilbury were living in Alberta when they decided to purchase this heritage building for the future studio of Tilbury Design Ltd. Restoration of the main floor began with the removal of the dropped ceiling, revealing the 12' original pressed metal ceiling. The original interior woodwork at the store front and the brick side walls were uncovered and refurbished. The second floor has a 13' pressed metal ceiling, the original wood floors, windows, casings and trim, which have been retained and refurbished.
The interior walls were all gutted with new electrical, plumbing, mechanical systems and insulted for acoustical privacy. A washroom, mechanical room and shared kitchenette were also added. Because this was built as an infill structure, the exterior walls of the adjacent buildings are brick and had been plastered over. After endless hours of carefully chipping and removing the plaster away, two exterior advertisements from the early 1900's were uncovered displaying ads for “Sommerville's Mexican Fruit Chewing Gum” and “McClary's Kootenay Steel Cooking Range”. This heritage building has been restored and refurbished to its original condition and retains its viability as a retail store and commercial office complex. A new business trend was also incorporated into the upper floor refurbishing by offering short-term
6 | WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
office rental by the hour, day, and week or on a monthly basis. This project speaks to the viability of commercial heritage buildings and is a business model that can be applied throughout the many downtown heritage districts within Saskatchewan. Owners: Raelyn and Troy Tilbury; Gary and Margaret Moore Prime contractor and designers: Raelyn and Troy Tilbury. Citation prepared by Brian Bell, President, Heritage Moose Jaw
Kassie's Jewelry 630 Main Street, Moosomin
t the turn of the last century Moosomin was a prairie boom town. Promoted as Bountiful, Beautiful and Progressive, it was at once unique but also typical of all Saskatchewan during that optimistic era. One of its showcase buildings was the elegant Downing's Jewellery store, a main street fixture for several decades. And, despite a brief interlude when it served as an insurance office, it has continued to be a jewellery store until the present day. Among this shop's rare treasures are the original oiled-finish quartercut-oak glass cabinetry, attributed to John McGuirl, a renowned craftsman of the late nineteenth century, said to have built the desks for the territorial council building. Other fixtures from this time include decorative radiators, the tin ceiling, and an original walk-in safe manufactured by A. Ahern Safe Works of Montreal.
Many of these features, however, had become obscured over time as the store underwent a series of what were undoubtedly characterized as “improvements.” Fortunately these heritage features were retained to be revealed anew by the current owners, Ross and Michele Shaw, who are now honoured by the Architectural Heritage Society for their leadership in heritage conservation. As a point of interest, Michele herself is part of the building's heritage since her mother, Betty Anne Matheson, the former owner had called the store Tamelle Jewellery, the “elle” part named for Michele. The recent renovations were a major undertaking and sensitively combined selective restoration with appropriately matched new construction. This dual approach ensured that the current store is not a caricature of the past but truly reflects the build-
ing's entire heritage, a record of growth and change over a century of local history. Among the careful craft work was the restoration of the original oak cabinets and radiators. As well, the original tin ceiling was completely reconstructed and custom manufactured matching pieces were installed in the 1992 addition. New features, including bulkheads and lights are designed to be sympathetic to the original appearance. The owners are Ross and Michele Shaw; the prime contractor was Stan Macmillan; and the heritage tinsmith was Brian Greer of Peterborough Ontario. Owners and designers: Ross and Michele Shaw, Moosomin Prime Contractor: Stan MacMillan, Moosomin Citation prepared by Rod Stutt
WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE | 7
Sympathetic New Construction
Northern Spruce Housing Project 500 â€“ 22nd Street West, Prince Albert
he Northern Spruce Housing Project is an urban infill complex located on part of a former school property in the historic West Hill residential neighbourhood of Prince Albert. The project, completed in July 2012, consists of five buildings containing ten residential housing units. The design elements complement the existing heritage homes of the neighbourhood. These elements include front porches, steeply-pitched roofs, traditional fenestration, and traditional exterior materials such as clapboard siding and stone.
These features, as well as the sympathetic scale and massing of the buildings, work in harmony with the visual rhythm and setbacks of the street. As well as being aesthetically sensitive, the project also is environmentally sensitive as it employs onsite water retention through the use of landscaped bioswales. Existing heritage elm and maple trees that bordered the site were also preserved and integrated into the landscape design. The design and construction of this sympathetic housing project has demonstrated the value of integrating new construction into an existing mature neighbourhood to strengthen its historical integrity. This successful approach can serve as a model for how owners, architects and contractors throughout the province can collaborate to enhance our living experience.
8 | WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
Owner: Northern Spruce Housing Corporation Architect: aodbt architecture + interior design General Contractor: R L Miller Contracting Ltd. The owner, architect and general contractor are all from Prince Albert. Citation prepared by Ross Herrington
Masonic Temple 1930 Lorne Street, Regina
askatchewan's first Masonic Lodge was established at Prince Albert in 1879, and was known as the Kinistino Lodge. That was followed in 1883 by Wascana Lodge No. 2 in Regina. The current Masonic Temple on Lorne Street, Regina is owned by five Lodges, and operates under the guidance of the Masonic Temple Company. Those Lodges include: Wascana (#2), North West Mounted Police (#11), Assiniboia (#49), King Hiram (#104), and St. Andrew's (# 174). The Masonic Temple is also home for the Grand Lodge of Saskatchewan, which has existed since 1906. The Masons operated out of several locations before establishing their home in this building in 1926. It was designed by fellow Masons and Reginabased architects F.H. Portnall and F.B. Reilly, and constructed by Smith Brothers and Wilson. The rear addition, which accommodates
the Red Lodge, was erected a few years later. In 1996 the Masonic Temple was recognized for its historical and architectural merit through inclusion in the Victoria Park Heritage Conservation District. Lodge members appreciate the heritage value of their building, and cherish its contribution to the cultural heritage of Regina. Indeed, in 2012, when an informal proposal to build a new Public Library included demolition of the Masonic Temple, the five Lodges voted not to sell their building to the Regina Public Library. Prudent stew-
ardship of any historic building also requires commitment by the property owner to conduct regular maintenance, and the Regina Temple Company has diligently fulfilled this mandate since 1926. In addition, the Company has ensured the long-term viability of the Masonic Temple by retaining its original purpose for hosting local Masonic meetings and by providing rental accommodation for the offices of the Grand Lodge of Saskatchewan. This exemplary stewardship is appreciated by Saskatchewan heritage community and merits recognition. Owner: Regina Masonic Temple Company, on behalf of the following five Regina-based Masonic Lodges:Wascana (#2); NWMP (#11); Assiniboia (#49); King Hiram (#104); and St.Andrew's (#174). Citation prepared by Frank Korvemaker
WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE | 9
Education, Signage, Monuments & Interpretation
1912 Tornado Legacy Project Downtown Regina & Regina Warehouse District
une 30, 1912, was a hot, muggy Sunday afternoon in Regina. Decorating was underway for the July 1st Dominion Day Celebrations and Mayor Peter McAra Jr. was proudly showing his City to visiting dignitaries, unaware that eleven miles south of the city two huge storms were melding into one deadly tornado. At 4:50 pm the city calm was shattered as the windstorms combined and an estimated F4 tornado hit the city, narrowly missing the Saskatchewan Parliament buildings. It travelled across Wascana Lake, up Lorne Street, through Victoria Park, damaging three churches and the newly constructed telephone switchboard building. Crossing the rail tracks, it destroyed the roundhouse and reduced warehouses,
homes and businesses to piles of rubble. In the storm's wake, 28 lost their lives, 200 were injured, and remains today the most deadly tornado in Canadian history. To commemorate the day and celebrate those who rebuilt the City, The Regina Tornado Legacy Project was developed. In collaboration with the Regina Plains Museum, and funded by partners, Regina Downtown and Regina's Warehouse District, along with grants from Saskatchewan Community Initiatives Fund, Canada Legacy Fund and the City of Regina, a multiple visual and sculptural art project was undertaken. An adjudication process engaged artists to create murals and sculptures resulting in a final 10 submissions commissioned for installation along the Tornado's path. The project culminated June 30th, 2013 with Regina Tornado Legacy Day including local actor Ed Willett portraying Mayor Peter McAra Jr., a Wizard of Oz-inspired dance proces-
10 | WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
sion, tours of the downtown churches, walking tours, music and entertainment. The most poignant moment by far was a single peal of Knox Metropolitan Church bell as the name of each lost life was read. The legacy of artwork serves as a constant reminder of the power of the tornado and of community resilience to survive and go forward. Partners: Regina Downtown Business Improvement District, Regina Warehouse District Association, and Shari Sokochoff, Regina Plains Museum Citation prepared by Audrey Price
Adaptive Re-use & Rehabilitation
Nutana Collegiate Institute 411- 11th Street East, Saskatoon
utana Collegiate Institute was designed by the Reginabased architectural firm of Storey and Van Egmond and constructed in 1909-10. It was one of the firm's earliest commissions in Saskatoon, and helped them establish a reputation for designing high quality educational facilities throughout the province. During the subsequent century the Collegiate was continuously used for educational purposes. However, this heavy use took its toll, and the building gradually began to show significant signs of wear. As with many public structures throughout the province, regular maintenance was inadequate to deal with the building's ongoing deterioration, especially at times when the School Board was challenged to meet ever increasing new demands and priorities. Eventually, the building came to a point when a decision had to be made
to either rehabilitate the school or replace it with a new structure. Elsewhere in Saskatchewan, too often that same situation resulted in demolition of the original school. In 2009, under the direction of Edwards, Edwards & McEwen Architects and KIM Constructors, both of Saskatoon, the School Board initiated a thorough rehabilitation, that included exterior masonry repointing, reroofing, and replacement of the windows with compatible new units. Inside, the firms restored various historic elements, including the staircases and lighting fixtures. Closed windows were re-exposed and deteriorated areas were upgraded to complement the historic ambiance of the building. Modern amenities, such as elevators and mechanical systems were also incorporated. Although many welldesigned and wellconstructed historic schools have been demolished throughout Saskatchewan,
Nutana Collegiate has been fully rehabilitated. It is among only a small number of historic schools to be so upgraded in the province. The Saskatoon Public School Division has shown exceptional leadership in identifying the historic importance of Nutana Collegiate to the community, the city and the province, and subsequently taking decisive action to restore and rehabilitate the building for continued long-term educational use. In doing so, it has respected the overall historic design, while making interior improvements that complement the historic character of the building. Owner: Saskatoon Public School Division # 13 Architect: Edwards Edwards McEwen Architects Prime Contractor: KIM Constructors Ltd. Citation prepared by Frank Korvemaker
WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE | 11
E. A. Davies Building 1030 Idylwyld Drive, Saskatoon
. A. Davies Building (Saskatoon Normal School) was designed by Provincial Architect Maurice Sharon prior to its construction in 1921. Constructed as part of a provincial program between 1913 and 1928 to build what was termed Normal Schools in Regina, Saskatoon, and Moose Jaw these facilities were established to train teachers for Saskatchewan's public education system. The building was completed in 1921 and formed an integral part of the provincial education system ever since. As part of the SIAST Kelsey Campus the facility was maintained in the best fashion possible, but after 90 years was in need of significant improvements to the interior “to provide a high quality leaning environment for SIAST Post-Secondary Students, while maintaining this historic asset and qualities of the facility.” The facility remains a great example of Collegiate Gothic Architecture with keen attention being paid to the
design and selection of brick for the new accessible ramp on the exterior. Elements of the façade were carefully cleaned to provide a rejuvenated and fresh look to the building. Marble stair treads, cast iron railings, terrazzo floors, ceramic tile wainscoting, elaborate wood trim, doors and frames and light fixture replacement were given extra attention leading to the successful maintenance of the heritage character of the project. While combing these elements with modern features for accessibility the client and their consultants have created an excellent example for others to follow. While other facilities are being torn down and replaced with modern buildings to improve the infrastructure the client and their consultants had the vision to appreciate the asset that they already possessed. A long-standing piece of Saskatoon and Saskatchewan's history has been preserved for years to come. The Province of Saskatchewan has shown
12 | WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
tremendous leadership in identifying and preserving this piece of history. The consultant team has delivered a project that respects the historical details and provided much needed improvements to the interior, functionality, and exterior of the building to preserve it for years to come. All involved need to be commended for their efforts and a project well done. Owner: Saskatchewan Ministry of Central Services Architect: Edwards Edwards McEwen Architects Prime Contractor: Quorex Construction Citation prepared by Alton Tangedal
Round Plain Stone Church Stone Church Road,Wishart
uring the 2012 restoration of the Round Plain Stone Church near Wishart, a tin time capsule, placed behind a cornerstone during construction in 1888, was opened and explored with great excitement. The church itself is a time capsule, however: as plain and practical as the lives of its first congregation, it is one of only a few Saskatchewan churches to speak of the faith that sustained our earliest pioneers. The 1884 death of a local homesteader's father is responsible for the location of this cherished building: after his burial in what is now the Stone Church Cemetery, his son donated the land around the gravesite when the Anglicans, Methodists and Presbyterians needed a dedicated building for their joint services. According to a time-capsule letter written by Wishart's first settler,
Robert Wishart, this denominationally diverse group hired stonemason â€œJ. Turner from Fort Qu'Appelleâ€? to carry out the construction, perhaps because he had recently built St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church in his own community. Ecumenism was common in early rural Saskatchewan, and it continued in the Round Plain district when, after the church had fallen into disrepair, an evangelist-carpenter restored both it and attendance in the early 1930s. Regular nondenominational services continued until, in the 1950s, the dwindling farm population reduced its use to weddings and funerals. Eventually, age and weathering led to cracked walls that threatened the building's very survival. This dire state prompted the formation of the Round Plain Stone Church and Cemetery Committee which, with help from a Saskatchewan Heritage
Foundation grant, initiated an extensive exterior restoration and a rebuild of the stone gateway. It is the renewed beauty of this fine memorial to Saskatchewan's pioneers that prompted the selection of the Round Plain Stone Church as a worthy recipient of the Lieutenant's Governor Award in the category of Exterior Conservation. Owner: Rural Municipality of Emerald No. 277,Wishart, Sask. Stonemasonry: Charlie Pirie, CAP Masonry, Balgonie, Sask. Window Renovations: Tony and John Senger, Regina, Sask. Stone Cutter: Robert Griffin Citation prepared by Marg Hryniuk
WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE | 13
By Peggy Sarjeant, Board member of the Saskatoon Heritage Society
The Saskatoon Heritage Society is in festive mood. This year the Society saw the 25th anniversary issue of its annual magazine, Saskatoon History Review, roll off the press – certainly something to celebrate. As far as we are aware, this is the only magazine of its type in Western Canada and probably in the whole country. It publishes articles on “all aspects of the history and architectural heritage of Saskatoon” and provides local historians from all walks of life an avenue for the publication of their research. Its variety of articles and many historical photographs make it enjoyable for everyone. The Society has always felt that the publication of local history research is important. It began by publishing three issues of Saskatoon History between 1980 and 1985 and then, in 1989, under the urging of William Sarjeant, took the bold step of committing to the publication of an annual journal,
William Sarjeant, first editor of Saskatoon History Review
renaming it Saskatoon History Review. Between 1989 and 2002, under Bill Sarjeant's editorship, the Review published not only articles on historic buildings and neighbourhoods, but also ethnic histories and articles on labour history and Saskatoon's industrial past.
14 | WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
Significant articles included histories of the Whitecap Band, the Saskatoon Public Library, the Saskatoon Exhibition and Saskatoon's Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee. Don Kerr succeeded Bill Sarjeant as editor following Bill's death in 2002 and continues in that role today. Don has been responsible for several thematic issues which have celebrated the City of Saskatoon's Centennial, the University of Saskatchewan's Centennial and the arts in Saskatoon. Saskatoon History Review, No. 25th marks a milestone in the history of our magazine. In this issue, we look back on the history and achievements of this unique publication. We trace the history of the heritage movement in Saskatoon in an article which brings together all the players who have had an influence on heritage preservation in the city - from the Heritage Society to community activists, to local community associa-
Author Paul Van Pul talks about the history of Saskatoon's weir at the launch of the 25th Anniversary issue February 13, 2013. Image courtesy of Jeff O'Brien.
As far as we are aware, this is the only magazine of its type in Western Canada and probably in the whole country.
tions and to various governments and quasi -government agencies. We also pay tribute to five key heritage heroes, who have been instrumental in saving some of Saskatoon's important heritage buildings. In the words of editor Don Kerr,
When we think of â€Ś public structures we have lost â€Ś, then we delight even more in those heroes who keep parts of our city alive, from the College Building to the CP Station, to the Superintendent's Residence to the Gustin House and the Trounce House. We can't thank them enough. We also look at Saskatoon's current landscape in a fascinating article on the history of the weir, reminding us that industrial artifacts are just as important in providing us with a sense of place as are our heritage buildings. And finally readers can
Don Kerr, current editor of the Review, reading at the launch of issue Number 19, 2005. Image courtesy Dennis Fisher
enjoy reminiscing about growing up in post-war Saskatoon. There are lots of photographs. Something for everyone! With the publication of 25 issues of the Review, the Saskatoon Heritage Society is proud of what has been accomplished. The first issue of Saskatoon History was published in 1980. Who would have thought we would have come so far! History is a continuum, though, and there are always stories to tell. We look forward to Saskatoon History Review continuing to be there to tell them. W
WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE | 15
ARCOLA'S FIRST BUILDING
HE SASKATCHEWAN PHOTO MUSEUM (Arcola Sask.) has entered an agreement with the Saskatchewan History and Folklore Society and the University of Saskatchewan, to digitize a portion of the picture collection.To this end they have hired university students, Eric Story and Tina Leckie to assist in the work. The collection started in Arcola with local pictures but has spread to include all of the Great Plains of North America. In collecting I have tried to gather information on every picture especially those pertaining to Arcola. As we sorted through the pictures we came upon one that I was quite interested in, Arcola's first building.
In the Arcola Kisbey history book we have this information: Jones, W. H. By Nina Marsh taken from Star Standard Mr. W. H. Jones came with his wife and family to the area in 1884. He erected the first house on the town site (Arcola). That summer the family lived one mile east of town. Mrs. Jones had to do her cooking in a tent as the house was not quite complete. The building in Arcola burned down in 1908 or 1909 along with the J.R.Mears, Hardware. Three sons were born to them: George, Edward and Walton. Walton was the first child born in Arcola, bringing the population to one hundred.
16 | WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
The records show that this was indeed the first house built in Arcola; it was built in the summer of 1899. The railroad did not reach Arcola until 1900. There are no records as to when the town was surveyed. It appears from later pictures that the Jones' store did not front onto the street but was situated in the center of the lot. In later years an addition was added to bring the building out to Railroad Ave. In 1900 some buildings from the hamlet of Clare (three miles northwest) were moved to the new town site of Arcola and new construction started in earnest. The Jones family had living quarters above the store. It would have been the largest building at that time in the new town. There are indications that the living space above the store was used at times as a hall for meetings, possibly town council.
It is not known how long Jones operated their store. The next records we have are that the building was bought in 1910 by Hawker and Hillis. The following is a story written in 1995 by Florence Askin (Hawker), born in 1910. This is the story, as much as I can remember, as a little girl about the “Pop Factory. In 1910 my father Wm. T. Hawker became a partner with Mr. Robert Hillis, an Irish Bachelor, in the Standard Aerated Waterworks. Mr. Hillis had his secret recipes for the different flavors of pop and he did the mixing and my brother Bill did the capping of the bottles (using a foot operated machine) which were one quart and one pint in size. My father was the salesman. He drove a team of black horses hitched to a large wagon and delivered the pop to nearby towns and possibly some was sent by train. The two-story building was constructed of stone and was situated on Railway Avenue W. The mixing and capping was done on the upper floor. On the main floor there was a large water trough in which the bottles were washed, a mechanical brush cleaned the inside of the bottles which were then put over a water jet mouth down on a rack and when filled was turned and flushed the bottles. Sometimes we kids would turn the rack when it was filled and the water would shoot up to the high ceiling which was covered with tile-like squares of fancy tin. The varieties that I remember were Sasparilla, my favorite. Not unlike root beer, Lemon Sour, Ginger Beer, Cherry, Raspberry, etc , but there one
special drink known as “Arcola Water”,, which had medical value, and was popular among those who had ailments, which they were sure helped to cure them. However sad to say the partnership dissolved after a couple of years. Mr. Hillis and my brother Bill carried on maybe a year later when Mr. Hillis had a massive heart attack so that was the end of the great adventure and a high grade of soft drink. I am not sure how many years the Pop Factory was in operation, but I know it was the best Pop I ever tasted. Florence Askin Aug, 2nd 1995 The “Aerated Water Works” was known as the “Pop Factory” and bottles were labeled (H&H) (Hillis & Hawker). None of the quart or pint bottles that Florence mentions have ever been found. They possibly had paper labels that did not survive. Arcola's water was pure, clear, spring water of a very good quality. It was piped in from the foothills of the Moose Mountains. One may only speculate that if it had not been for the untimely death of Mr. Hillis and the loss of his secret formula we might today have three major Colas; Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola and Arcola-Cola. It is believed that the Arcola Pop Factory was one of the first manufacturers of soda pop in Saskatchewan. W Adrian Paton, Curator, Saskatchewan Photo Museum
WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE | 17
South façade of the Crescent Apartments – 1550 14th Avenue in Regina – after the lintels and sills were removed. The block was designed by early Regina architect Sidney Tripp.
100-Year-Old Regina Apartments Get Facelift By Don Black
hen Regina contractor Henry Black built the Crescent and Crescent Annex Apartments just west of the General Hospital in 1910-1912, he chose Indiana limestone for the lintels and sills of the two buildings. It was an expensive choice at the time, and somewhat unusual, since Indiana limestone was usually installed on prominent public buildings including Regina landmarks such as the Telephone Exchange and the Normal School on College Avenue. A century later, the lifespan of the Crescent Apartments came to an end and the building was demolished. However, with the encouragement of building owners Westland Properties Ltd, much of the building will live to see another day.
CAP Masonry of Balgonie rescued the Indiana limestone lintels and sills from the building's exterior and Last Mountain Timber Wrighting & Recycling salvaged much of the building's interior millwork.
Charlie Pirie and Brayden Kniffen carefully lower the 1200 pound (or so) stone away from the building.
18 | WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
A few weeks before the early April 2013 demolition, Charlie Pirie of CAP Masonry set up shop and extracted almost a hundred of the building's Indiana limestone lintels and sills and several hundred ornate glazed bricks from a feature wall beside the front door. Charlie certainly has the right pedigree for heritage masonry work. He's been a heritage stone mason for restoration projects on iconic public buildings such as the Parliament Buildings and Rideau Hall in Ottawa, the Legislative Building in Regina, the Wishart stone church, and other churches, houses, and public structures throughout the country. Getting the stones off the building is a highly-skilled, yet surprisingly delicate operation.
Charlie gets ready to maneuver a lintel through the April snow into his trailer.
The article's author (and grandson of the Crescent's builder Henry Black) takes a turn on the chipper. Brayden and Charlie guide one of the large lintels down – with the help of gravity.
The scaffolding has to be erected in the right place and safe. The chipper (sort of a mini jack-hammer) removes brick from around the stones – it cannot be used too forcefully, and the operator has to be on guard for hidden surprises in the wall such as steel reinforcing rods. The physics of easing the extremely heavy stones (up to 1,200 lbs. each) away from the wall has to be carefully thought through. Lifting the stones (especially the large ones) is basically out of the question – gravity is used, and a progression of sturdy planks has to be in place to ensure that the stone makes it to the ground and into the trailer for transport to its next home, in one piece. And jobsite security IS a concern – one of the large stones couldn't be removed from the site over a weekend and when Charlie returned on Monday, it was gone. Charlie's over-riding concern, on which there is no compromise, is safety. One mistake with a piece of
The operator has to be on guard for hidden surprises in the wall. stone that large, and you're off to the hospital with very serious injuries. Although it is sad to see an iconic centuryold building demolished, it's encouraging that some of the building's key heritage components will be re-used – and NOT end up in the city's landfill. W Charlie Pirie, president of CAP Masonry WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE | 19
IN THE NEWS New Heritage Guidebook for Municipalities The Ministry of Parks, Culture and Sport recently distributed its newest heritage guidebook to Saskatchewan municipalities. Entitled Creating Community Heritage Programs: A Guide for Municipalities, this new publication provides guidance for creating comprehensive municipal heritage programs. The booklet is part of a series of ministry publications designed to help Saskatchewan communities conserve, develop and promote their historic places. The ministry's new guidebook is intended to help municipalities develop effective programs that support the conservation and development of historic places. With sections on heritage planning, legislative tools, incentives, community relations, marketing and promotion, the guide will be a valuable resource for municipal officials who want to ensure that their communities make the most of their local heritage resources. It will also be of interest to other organizations or individuals who want to learn more about heritage conservation in Saskatchewan.
Architectural Heritage Society of Saskatchewan 2013 BOARD of DIRECTORS Rod Stutt, President, Moose Jaw Terry Sinclair,Vice President, Regina Al Gill, Past President, Regina Brian Bell, Secretary, Moose Jaw Richard Hiebert, North Battleford Michelle Taylor, Prince Albert Wally Dyck, Saskatoon Dragana Perusinovic, Regina Michel Fortier, Saskatoon
To obtain a free copy of Creating Community Heritage Programs:A Guide for Municipalities, or any of the ministry's other heritage publications, please contact the Heritage Conservation Branch at 306-787-2817. These items can also be accessed on the ministry's website at www.pcs.gov.sk.ca/heritage. Source: Ministry of Parks, Culture and Sport CORRECTION: Brick by Brick In the Autumn 2012 issue of WORTH, Frank Korvemaker's History Built BrickBy-Brick article dealing with the Prince Albert Penitentiary may have left the erroneous impression that the former Emmanuel College (variously referred to in historic documents as a Residential, Boarding or Training School for Indians) was the same as the later Prince Albert Indian Residential School. In fact, those were two different facilities, and were situated at different locations in Prince Albert, one east and the other west of the Penitentiary. In addition, the Penitentiary complex was situated east of the Anglican Church property, not directly on those lands.
The author wishes to apologize for this error and misconception, and to thank Jamie Benson and Ken Guedo at the Prince Albert Historical Museum for helping to clarify this matter. Source: Frank Korvemaker Snow Storm Delayed 2013 AGM A snow storm delayed the 2013 Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Architectural Heritage Society of Saskatchewan. It was to have taken place March 23 at the CanAlta Inn in Tisdale. Instead, it was held April 20 in the board room of the Regina Warehouse District Association. Rod Stutt of Moose Jaw was elected president replacing Alan Gill of Regina who opted not to seek another term. Terry Sinclair of Regina was elected vice president while Brian Bell of Moose Jaw was elected secretary. Dragana Perusinovic, an architectural assistant with Kreate Architecture and Design Ltd. of Regina, joins the Society's board of directors for the first time while Michel Fortier of Saskatoon returns after a one-year hiatus.
Become a Society Member. The Architectural Heritage Society of Saskatchewan encourages, supports and rewards meaningful conservation of our built heritage. Any person, enterprise or community-based organization may apply to become a full and active member of AHSS for an annual membership fee of just $20. Fees help the Society communicate with members and provide grant funding for community-based programs and projects across Saskatchewan. To join simply complete and mail to AHSS, 202 -1275 Broad St., Regina, SK, S4R 1Y2 or visit www.ahsk.ca for information under â€œJoinâ€?. Yes, I/we want to become a member of AHSS Yes, I/we want to receive WORTH Magazine free
STAFF Audrey Price, Executive Director Lovella Jones, Communications Coordinator
Architectural Heritage Society of Saskatchewan
HELPING HERITAGE HAPPEN
Email address (strictly for our use)
20 | WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
Moose Jaw's CPR Dining Hall Went Up in Flames
A connoisseur of fine wines and liquors, n the summer of 1921, workmen Smith was master of beverages at a grand digging under the CPR station platbanquet held in Toronto to mark the visit form in preparation for laying steam of the Prince of Wales (Queen Victoria's pipes for a new station could hardly believe son and heir) to the that city in 1860. what they had unearthed.There in the As the West opened for settlement, excavation was a long-buried cache of By Leith Knight Smith, his wife Elizabeth and their family ancient ale and many of the bottles were moved to Winnipeg where he established still intact. the well-known Potter House, Word of the discovery a hostelry that was the favourspread like wildfire, and soon a ite rendezvous of British rebig crowd, crazed by five years mittance men. of Prohibition, was hanging In 1889,Whyte, Smith's over the wooden railing surfriend from Stratford days rounding the excavation, and now the manager of the ready to jump in at the first CPR's western lines, rememopportunity. bered Smith's inn keeping A news reporter attracted abilities and persuaded him to to the site by the general come to Moose Jaw to manage commotion, thought a workthe CPR's dining hall. In early man had fallen into an old May 1898, a spark from a passcesspool which pioneers ing locomotive landed on the claimed was under the station roof of the dining hall and the platform.Then a workman landmark was soon engulfed in emerged from the excavation flames. smacking his lips and wiping Tasukenupawi of the Moose his mouth as the aroma of Jaw Sioux encampment, affecwell-brewed hops wafted over The CPR Dining Hall in 1891. The diners include Dr. Duncan Forgie, the crowd. Dr. Turnbull, Jim Calder, Nellie Doran, Joe and Frank Daley, and Jason Lily. tionately known as Emma by the town's residents, was the The ale was found among during a “fever” epidemic in February 1889. first to notice the blaze and report it. charred timbers, ashes and creamNeither the town's chemical engine — Sir Sandford Fleming, engineer-in-chief coloured bricks immediately recognized by “useless as usual,” commented the local for the surveys of the CPR and promoter the old-timers as the remains of the CPR Times — nor the CPR's firefighting apparaof standard time, was having breakfast in dining hall which once stood on the site the dining hall in August 1883 when he read tus was effective, and the dining hall was and was destroyed by fire nearly 25 years reduced to a gutted ruin. in the Moose Jaw News about Cree chief before. Smith and his family who had living quarPiapot's complaint to the lieutenantOne of the spectators remembering the ters on the upper floor of the two-storey governor that smoke from the CPR locodining hall in its heyday, said the brew hostelry, lost all their possessions in the motives was ruining the West. And a would be pretty good because “in those fire except a grandfather clock, a family month later the local Conservatives gathdays there weren't any of this here domesheirloom. But in the frantic efforts to get ered at the dining hall for a lively luncheon tic stuff, only imports.” And another onand entertainment for Sir Hector Langevin, the clock out of the burning building, its looker who was fortunate enough to get a lovely mahogany case was damaged befederal minister of public works. taste of the long-buried brew said the ale yond repair. Abiel “Dad” Smith who managed the had quite a kick and that “Josiah's mule, The fire-gutted dining hall was razed and dining hall for the CPR, was well known Maud, came nowhere near it!” the site leveled in preparation for the throughout western Canada for his hospiThe CPR dining hall, erected soon after CPR's new station, opened in 1899, which tality.An English innkeeper, he came to rail construction reached Moose Jaw would incorporate hotel facilities and a Creek in 1882, was one of the first substan- Canada in 1855 and continued innkeeping large dining room under the management at several Ontario points. One place was tial buildings in the townsite. of Abiel Smith. And buried in the rubble Stratford where his wide circle of friends It catered primarily to railway passenincluded station agent William Whyte, later under the station's platform was Smith's gers whose purses could not afford the ale which wouldn't see the light of day until Sir William Whyte, vice-president of the higher priced dining car meals. For years it 1921 when the CPR was getting ready to CPR, and a telegraph messenger named served as the town's social centre — banbuild its third and last station at Moose Jaw. Tom, later known as Thomas A. Edision, the quets, balls, theatricals, political rallies and (Source: Reprinted with permission meetings of every sort took place under its inventor of the electric light and phonoof the Moose Jaw Times Herald) graph. roof. It even served as the town hospital
WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE | 21
NORTH AMERICAN BRICK By Frank Korvemaker - firstname.lastname@example.org
Detail of the brick construction for the 16 ½ inch thick fire wall at Mossbank. A row of 4 inch wide header bricks is used to interlock the face and core of the brick structure after every five rows of 7 ¾ inch long stretcher bricks.
Manufacture Location: Unknown, Date(s) of Manufacture: ca. 1925 Brick Type:
Approximate Dimensions: 7 3/4 x 3 7/8 x 1 78 inches/ 200 x 100 x 50 mm Colour:
Side and back view of the fire wall at Mossbank in 2012, with the frame Mossbank Hotel on the right. The wall was constructed in descending segments from front to back, perhaps because it was presumed that the buildings it was designed to protect would also diminish in size.
The street view of the free-standing brick fire wall between two commercial buildings on Mossbank's Main Street. Fire Insurance Plans refer to these structures as Standard Independent Fire Walls.
COMMENTS: The concept of a masonry fire wall erected in the middle of a block of frame commercial buildings is about as logical as it gets. Yet, in spite of many fires that decimated immense portions of prairie towns at the turn of the 20th century, very few of these were ever built. In Saskatchewan, only four have been located: Mossbank, Ogema, Radville, and Shaunavon. The wall at Radville was recently demolished. None of the bricks associated with these walls has included the name or location of the manufacturer. However, orangey-red bricks found elsewhere in Saskatchewan often originate at Redcliff (Medicine Hat), Alberta. Dating these structures is surprisingly difficult, considering that they were apparently municipal projects paid for with Town funds. The Ogema fire wall is best documented, being constructed by Robert Lecky (Regina) and Arthur Townsend (Milestone) in 1915 after a devastating Main Street fire. A brick Fire Hall was simultaneously built across the street to serve a similar function in that block. The fire wall in Mossbank was constructed by local bricklayer Ole Hensrud in 1925. Few details have yet been found about the other two fire walls. W Sources:  Saskatchewan History and Folklore Society plaque (Ogema Fire Wall);  Larry Easton, front façade photo;  Frank Korvemaker, back and detail photos;  Donald Smith – Personal Communication – 10 Feb. 2013;  Sask. Archives: Fire Insurance Plan A289 (1 of 3), Shaunavon, Sept. 1929
22 | WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE
WORTH: SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE | 23
SASKATCHEWAN'S ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE MAGAZINE #202 – 1275 Broad St. Regina, SK S4R 1Y2
Published on Jul 13, 2013