Page 70

‘Midst Shot & Shell

there. Fort Stokes was never attacked, but St. Michaels was. The other two cannons the Feds took from the Easton Armory were the six-pounders that Jacob Gibson had given to St. Michaels that had been used to defend the town when the British attacked on the morning of August 10, 1813. These cannons had come to town as a result of a prank that Gibson played on St. Michaels. In April, he had been seized and held captive by the British when they caught him trying to remove his livestock from Sharps Island before the Brits got them. Admiral Warren turned him loose after a couple of days. While sailing home to St. Michaels, Gibson hid below deck while flying a red flag

scrap drive. In fact, the paper did report that the American Legion had donated the old cannon to the scrap drive, but it obviously wasn’t George. George has led a charmed life, hav ing escaped being exploded, confiscated and scrapped, and today he can be seen guarding the new American Legion headquarters on Canvasback Drive. There had been other cannons at Fort Stokes in 1813. There were half a dozen field pieces, under the command of Captain Clement Vickers of the Talbot Volunteer Artillery Company, set up on the embankments to help repel the British. The cannons are gone, but the earthworks are still

Call Us: 410-725-4643

restorationhomerepair.com

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

Before

After

Restoration Home Repair, LLC is located in Easton, MD and proudly serves the Mid-Shore area. 68

Kitchens Bathrooms Flooring Tile Built-Ins Painting Dry wall Finish Carpentry Exterior Repairs Aging in Place Modifications ♦ Tub to Shower Conversions ♦ Minor Electrical ♦ Minor Plumbing

MHIC #95820

Profile for Tidewater Times

July 2017 ttimes web magazine  

Tidewater Times July 2017

July 2017 ttimes web magazine  

Tidewater Times July 2017