ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008
Of Flagler & E. Volusia Issue 46
Week of February 25-March 3, 2010
3D Publishing, Inc. For ad info. 386-336-9013 800-595-8110
www.TidbitsFlaglerVolusia.com Email: Info@TidbitsFlaglerVolusia.com
I.R.S. TAX PROBLEMS? Q. What is the first thing a snake learns in school?
American Immigration Services
Tax Lien s
it Aud es i v e L
A. Hiss-tory. Former I.R.S. Agent
List your Local Job Opportunities and Job Wanted Listings FREE. Call for Details 386-336-9013
386-586-6985 WE CAN HELP! WE OFFER COMPLETE AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR
*See store for details. *In lieu of other offers. Most cars and light trucks. Offer valid at participating locations only.
OIL CHANGE WITH TIRE ROTATION
POWER FLUSH SERVICES
Includes: Brake, Coolant/ Radiator, Fuel sys., Power Steering or Transmission svc.
Includes: Oil filter. Oil change w/up to 5 qts. Quality valvoline motor oil, chassis lube & tire rotation. Additional fees may apply. In lieu of other offers. Most cars & light trucks. Offer valid at participating locations only. Tidbits
Two Flushes... $20 off* Three Flushes... $30 off* Four Flushes... $40 off*
*Additional fees may apply.In lieu of other offers. Most cars & light trucks. Offer valid at participating locations only.
Welcome DENTAL Dental IMPLANTS Exam
Reg. $900 Code (2752)
“Look and See” Second Opinion Consultation
Reg. $1600 Code 6010
****Call for your appointment and more details, cash only, or your insurance may cover usual &andcustomary fees.or Offer good may for cover 60 days from this post*Call for your at appointment details. Cash only, your insurance at usual and customary fees. ing. only.thisIfposting. any service, examination or treatment is treatment performed OfferNew valid forpatients 60 days from New patients only. If any service, examination or is performed 72 hours andaisdirect a directconsequence consequence of original discounted service, within 72within hours and is of theadvertised originalfull-fee, advertised full-fee or treatment, or any other financially responsible, has the right person to refuse, cancel orexamination discounted service,a patient examination or person treatment, a patient or any other or be reimbursed for paymenthas of resulting procedure. * Not cancel valid withor anybe other offer. Expiresfor 1/28/2010 financially responsible the right to refuse, reimbursed payment of this resulting procedure.
Veteran US MC
386-586-6966 American Tax Center
1430 Palm Coast Pkwy. Palm Coast 386-597-4788 www.tuffy.com
Any Purchase of 4 Tires PLUS FREE Alignment check
ILED UNF URNS? RET TAX Completely
FAMOUS FIRSTS By Kathy Wolfe
This week Tidbits looks at the originals, the pioneers, the earliest – all those who made history by being the first to hit the scene. • Established in 1636, Harvard is America’s first institution of higher learning. The college, originally just for men, was founded 16 years after the Pilgrims arrived at Plymouth, with an enrollment of nine students. The institution owes its name to its first benefactor, John Harvard, a minister who bequeathed his library and half his worth to the college. Seven U.S. presidents are Harvard graduates, as well as 40 Nobel Prize winners. • Alan Shepard was the first American in space, but not the first human in space. That distinction belongs to Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, who rocketed into space on April 15, 1961, a mere three weeks before Shepard’s May 5th flight. Nine months later, astronaut John Glenn became the first American to orbit Earth, circling the globe three times in just under five hours. That wasn’t to be Glenn’s final recordbreaking flight. At age 77, he spent nine days aboard the space shuttle, Discovery, testing the effects of space on the elderly.
El Potosi Mexican Food, Inc. Din e in o r Ta k e o u T 160 Cypress Point Pkwy., #a 106 City Walk • Palm Coast
10% Of f Any Entree
turn the page for more!
WANT TO RUN YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Publish•a Paper•in•Your•Area If•You•Can•Provide: Sales Experience ∙ A Computer ∙ Desktop Publishing Software ∙ A Reasonable Financial Investment
(386) 447-2800 Hours: Monday Saturday 11:00 a.m.- 8:00 p.m.
Buy Here Pay Here- Everybody Is Approved!
trickland Auto ales
Call today! 386-326-6363 You’re Approved! 2310 Reid Street Palatka, FL 32177
PAGE 2 teenager who needs to learn about setting limits, especially if that teen has run up astronomical phone bills in the past.
you'd buy an inexpensive, no-frills phone (although with many of them you can receive text messages). With a prepaid plan, you pay for the phone up front. There's no credit check, no contract to sign, no monthly charges. You pay in advance for your minutes. The more minutes you buy, the longer you have to use them because the minutes generally don't roll over. Even with prepaid phone service, beware the cost of daily use. There's a tradeoff between the number of days you'll use your phone and the cost of each minute. For example, with one large carrier, your access cost on the days you use the phone is $3.99 but your minutes are free, with text messages only Prepaid Plans Limit Cell Phone Costs costing 1 cent. On the other end of that spectrum, there are no-frills basic services that cost you nothing to make calls on a daily basis, but each minute of Not everyone wants a cell phone that takes and send pictures, sends text messages, connects to the Internet calling costs 25 cents with 20 cents for each text to receive and send e-mail, and has custom graphics, message. a finger touch-screen, music player, video capture For low-minute users, there are a few big-name and voice memo. Sometimes people just want a carriers that offer 1,000 minutes for $100, and the phone that takes and makes calls -- and cheaply. minutes don't expire for a year. Sign up for more minutes before expiration, and those old minutes will Choosing a cell-phone plan can be just as roll over. You'll pay $1 for access on the first call of complicated. any day, and all calls are 10 cents per minute. When you're hunting for a cell-phone plan, maybe the best one is no plan at all. Consider whether a prepaid Consider who's going to be using the phone, and how. A prepaid phone and service can be good for a phone service is right for you. Typically, this means
Seek a Professional...This is what We do! MICHAEL J. DURANCEAU, CPA, LLC Certified Public Accountant Certified Valuation Analyst
David Uffington regrets that he cannot personally answer reader questions, but will incorporate them into his column whenever possible. Write to him in care of King Features Weekly Service, P.O. Box 536475, Orlando, FL 32853-6475, or send e-mail to email@example.com. (c) 2010 King Features Synd., Inc.
Of Flagler & E. Volusia
3D Publishing, Inc. Teresa K. Bowens, Publisher P.O. Box 354251 Palm Coast, FL 32135 386-336-9013 or 800-595-8110 Email: Info@Tidbitsflaglervolusia.com Website: www.Tidbitsflaglervolusia.com
. .Here’s my card, call me!
Here's the best part about not signing a contract: If you absolutely hate your carrier or your phone, there's no problem with changing to another.
WEIGHT LOSS Ardyss International
GRAND OPENING 15% OFF
Body Magic & Natural Wellness
On all incoming orders BEFORE
Accounting & Bookkeeping Services Tax Return preparation- Business, Personal & Estate Planning, Small Business Consulting, Business Valuation & Litigation Support
Arnessia King www.ardysslife.com/kingenterprise
Must bring in coupon to receive discount
99 South Old Kings Rd. Ste. 1A Flagler Beach, FL 32136
(386) 693-4949 Fax (386) 693-4948 Main (386) 341-4830 Cell (877) 243-1944 Toll Free Mike@mjdcpas.com
Offer Good Only in Palm Coast 1070 Palm Coast Pkwy. West 118 Palm Coast Pkwy. East
386-338-8559 or 386-338-8308
To Advertise here call 386-336-9013 FAMOUS FIRSTS (continued):
first to be supported by a fireproof metal frame and steel skeleton construction design. It was demolished in 1931 to make way for a taller 45-story bank building, which rose 535 feet (163 meters), a structure that still stands today.
and 40 minutes.) Janet Guthrie holds a place in history as the first woman to qualify and race in the Indy 500. Guthrie, a former aerospace engineer, made her initial appearance in 1977, in which she finished 29th, and went on to compete two more years. In the 1978 race, she finished in ninth place. Visitors to the Smithsonian Institute can view her helmet and race suit.
• Frances Perkins was appointed Secretary of Labor in 1933 by Franklin D. Roosevelt, making her the first woman cabinet member. This also made her the first woman to be placed in the presidential line of succession, in the event of the death of the president. • Live from New York! It’s Saturday Night! This line has been shouted out on late night television since October (The Secretary of Labor is 11th down the line, following 11, 1975. George Carlin was host of the premiere the vice-president, speaker of the house, and eight showing with musical guests Janis Ian and Billy Preston. • The National Woman’s Suffrage Association others.) Perkins held her position longer than any other nominated Victoria Woodhull as their candidate for • Although Michael Jordan was the first basketball labor secretary, 12 years, the entire FDR presidency. President of the United States in 1872. Woodhull, the player to have his picture on the Wheaties box, he • Franklin Roosevelt also made history as the first U.S. first woman candidate, ran as a member of the was far from being the first athlete on the box. That president to speak on television, when he gave a short Nation Radical Reformers Party. It wasn’t until 1984 honor went to baseball great Lou Gehrig in 1934. speech at the opening of the 1939 World’s Fair in New that a woman was on the ticket for vice-president. However, for many years, athletes were featured on York City. In addition, in 1943, he became the first Geraldine Ferraro was Walter Mondale’s chosen the sides or back of the box. Lou wasn’t the first to president to fly in an airplane (although Theodore running mate that year. Mondale, who had been have his image on the front of the box, but rather on Roosevelt had ridden in a Wright biplane in 1910, he vice-president under Jimmy Carter, was soundly the back. The honor of being first on the front went was no longer president). defeated by Ronald Reagan. to pole vaulter Bob Richards in 1958. • Johnny Carson stepped up as host of The Tonight Show on October 1, 1962. Actress Joan Crawford was his first • Ray Harroun sped along at an average speed of 74.59 miles per hour during the first Indianapolis 500 race, guest. When Johnny’s replacement, Jay Leno, took over held in 1911. It took him just over six hours and 42 in 1992, Billy Crystal was the first to join Jay on stage. minutes to complete the course. (Compare this with • Chicago’s Home Insurance Building is regarded as the the highest average speed to date of about 186 miles world’s first skyscraper. Completed in 1885, its original per hour and a race time of approximately two hours ten stories and height of 138 feet (42 meters) were the
Tidbits of Flagler & E. Volusia 2/25-3/3/2010
colon's outer wall. The bulges are the lining of the colon that has been pushed through the muscular colon wall and has popped out on its outer surface. They are pea-size to marble-size. When the necks of diverticula become obstructed, bacteria within the diverticula causes swelling and pain. Prevention of diverticula formation and diverticula obstruction centers on a high-fiber diet. A particular food isn't usually the culprit. A lack of fiber is the troublemaker. Fiber holds on to water and keeps the food residue soft. If the residue hardens, the colon has to generate great force to move it along, and that force is responsible for diverticula formation. You need to Diet, Pain and Diverticulitis get 25 grams to 30 grams of fiber daily. Fruits, DEAR DR. DONOHUE: I need information on how vegetables and whole grains are fiber sources. Whole to avoid flare-ups of diverticulitis. I am a 53-year-old grains are grains that haven't been refined. They retain their outer coat -- bran. Bran is excellent fiber. female. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis in 2008 after suffering for months from discomfort that Diverticulitis -- inflamed diverticula -- produces finally became unbearable. The doctor gave me an antibiotic that cleared the problem up. What I need to pain, most often felt in the lower left side of the abdomen. Sometimes it leads to rectal bleeding. An know is this: How long after eating a problem food does discomfort ensue? I've tried to tie discomfort to attack of diverticulitis calls for a change in diet, either to a liquid one or one with soft foods. a particular food. I just can't figure out which ones cause the problem. For instance, if I have a problem If you still want to track a particular food as the on Tuesday afternoon, would that be from food I ate cause of a diverticulitis attack, I'll give you the rough Tuesday morning, or the day before, or the day time sequences of food passage. It takes one to two before that? -- D.F. days for food to pass from mouth to the end of the colon. At most, it takes three days. Anything beyond that time is abnormal. ANSWER: You need a clearer picture of what The booklet on diverticulosis explains this common causes diverticular pain. You're barking up the malady in detail. To order a copy, write: Dr. wrong tree. Diverticula are small bulges on the
Donohue -- No. 502W, Box 536475, Orlando, FL 32853-6475. Enclose a check or money order (no cash) for $4.75 U.S./$6 Canada with the recipient's printed name and address. Please allow four weeks for delivery. *** DEAR DR. DONOHUE: Several months ago, I fell. X-rays indicate that I have arthritis in my left hip. When I resumed my exercise program, I had pain on raising my left leg about 12 inches off the ground. Do I increase or decrease my exercise? Is there a painkiller or vitamin I should take? -- B.W. ANSWER: Pain is a signal to stop doing whatever it is that causes it. Perhaps arthritis is the cause. A cause has to be found before continuing any exercise that brings it on. Don't blunt the pain with medicines until you find the cause. Vitamins will not help. *** Dr. Donohue regrets that he is unable to answer individual letters, but he will incorporate them in his column whenever possible. Readers may write him or request an order form of available health newsletters at P.O. Box 536475, Orlando, FL 328536475. (c) 2010 North America Synd., Inc.
All Rights Reserved
1. Is the book of Nahum in the Old or New Testament or neither? 2. Which book begins, "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly"? Judges, Galatians, Revelation, Psalms 3. From John 11, Jesus wept when he saw whom? Martha, Mary, No one, Judas 4. Which land did Moses flee to after he left Egypt? Gezer, Nod, Midian, Pashur 5. From Proverbs 18, "Whoso findeth a wife findeth" what? Himself, Life, Good thing, Family 6. Where does Jesus speak of separating the sheep from the goats? Matthew, Mark, Luke, John
ANSWERS: 1) Old; 2) Psalms; 3) Mary; 4) Midian; 5) Good thing; 6) Matthew Wilson Casey's new book, "Firsts: Origins of Everyday Things That Changed the World," is available from Alpha/Penguin publishing. (c) 2010 King Features Synd., Inc.
TO ADVERTISE YOUR MINISTRY WITH US-CALL 386-336-9013
Living Faith Christian Center Reaching the Lost, Strengthening Families and Raising Up Leaders
Practical Teaching For Everyday Life!
Pastors Arthur & Gwen Jackson
Sunshine Business Complex 2729 E. Moody Blvd. Hwy. 100
Our Ministries Include: Ÿ Children’s Ministry Ÿ Teen Ministry “Rebirth” Ÿ Men’s Ministry Ÿ Women’s Ministry-W.O.W. Ÿ Study Groups and more SUNDAY MORNING SERVICE 10:45 AM
Our Vision is to win Earlyne Lund Souls and we have President and kept the vision strong Founder since 1985. Machelle L. Vallance General Manager We are a full service radio Todd Bennett station committed to Production
Email us firstname.lastname@example.org Tune in to
making this area a better place to live. We saturate Volusia County, Flagler &Madison County and surrounding areas with the Word and Praise Network
91.5FM (Volusia County) 24 hours a day! 91.7 FM (Madison County) Live Prayerline Mon.-Fri. see times or WAPN.net at www.wapn.net Program guide. and view our WebCam
Wednesday Night Service 7:30 PM
1508 State Street • Holly Hill, FL 32117
Fruit Trees Are Here Now!
Surprise Gift Box #196 S
Largest selection of Edible Fruit Trees in Volusia County! • Apple • Guava • Blueberry • Key Lime Passion Fruit
• Grapes • Lemon • Orange • Passion Fruit Kiwi
• Kumquat • Banana • Star Fruit • Mulberry Plum
• Persimmon • Honeybells • Tangerine • Grapefruit Pomegrante
9 lb. Gift Box of Sweet Oranges & Ruby Red Grapefruit with 2 surprises:
• Avocado • Mango • Fig Peach
Additional Varieties Available DELIVERY AND PLANTING SERVICE AVAILABLE
Fresh Fruit Available For Carry Out!
1. A 4.5 oz. Jar of Sweet N spicy Pumpkin Butter
ORDER NOW FOR FRESH FRUIT DELIVERY
LaRoche Used Furniture
One of the largest used furniture outlets in the area specializing in good wood furniture!
LaRoche Fruit & Edible Nursery
FREE 2. A nifty little peeler & 2 Shipping & Delivery... grapefruit spoons. All for only $34.95
740 South Yonge Street on US 1 Ormond Beach
Winter Strawberry-Rhubarb Supreme March is National Frozen Food Month, so how about picking up some frozen fruit for the rhubarb lovers at your table.
“Equipped to fit” any budget, age, skill level or project. The Limits are endless-the choice is yours!
2 cups chopped frozen rhubarb, thawed
A Full Service Quiltshop
1 cup hot water 3/4 cup Splenda Granular
·Machine Sales & Service ·Longarm Sales & Service ·Quilting & Embroidery Services ·Fabrics, Books, Patterns, Notions ·Sewing & Quilting Classes
2 (4-serving) packages Jell-O sugar-free strawberry gelatin 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, packed in juice, undrained 2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed, coarsely chopped and undrained 1 (8-ounce) package Philadelphia fat-free cream cheese 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
Save. . .15% off entire purchase *(online code2c953)
1 cup Cool Whip Lite
* Some restrictions may apply on machines
Expiration Date: 01/30/2010
Exit 284 off I-95...2 miles west on left...Marvin’s Garden business center 4601 E. Hwy. 100 B6* Bunnell, FL 32110 * toll free 877-586-5409
2 tablespoons flaked coconut 1. In large saucepan, combine rhubarb, hot water and 1/2 cup Splenda. Cover and cook on medium for 6 to 8 minutes or until rhubarb softens. Remove from heat. Add dry gelatin; mix well to dissolve. Stir in undrained pineapple. Add undrained strawberries. Mix well to combine. Pour mixture into an 8-by-8-inch dish. Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.
2. In small bowl, stir cream cheese with a sturdy spoon until soft. Add remaining 1/4 cup Splenda and coconut extract. Mix well to combine. Fold in Cool Whip. Spread evenly over set filling. Evenly sprinkle coconut over top. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Cut into 8 servings.
TIDBITS OF FLAGLER AND E. VOLUSIA NOW DELIVERS DIRECTLY TO YOU -
Each serving equals: 97 calories, 1g fat, 6g protein, 16g carbs, 229mg sodium, 160mg calcium, 2g fiber; Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 Meat, 1/2 Fruit, 1/2 Carbs; Carb Choices: 1 (c) 2010 King Features Synd., Inc.
FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS SIMPLY SEND YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO:
AND START READING TIDBITS ONLINE!
FAMOUS FIRSTS (continued):
famous eldest children include Walter Cronkite, Oprah Winfrey, Hilary Clinton, and Barack Obama.
• We’ve all heard the famous literary first line, ÒIt was a dark and stormy night.Ó But how many folks know • Citizens of Atlanta, Georgia were the first to sample a new beverage developed by Dr. John Pemberton, a what work it introduced? It was written by Edward local pharmacist. After concocting the syrup for the George Bulwer-Lytton in his 1830 novel Paul drink, Pemberton carried a jug down to Jacobs’ Clifford, the story of a man who leads a double life as Pharmacy, where they added carbonated water and both a criminal and a gentleman. The opening line is sold it for five cents a glass at the store’s soda so well-known and often ridiculed that San Jose State fountain. Dr. Pemberton’s partner/bookkeeper came University sponsors an annual contest to celebrate the up with the name Coco-Cola and hand-scripted the Òworst in writing.Ó Contestants are asked to famous curlicued logo. complete the worst possible introduction of a novel based on that opening sentence. Contest judges prefer • What did hotel magnate Conrad Hilton, Jr., former Queen of England Catherine of Aragon, and actress writers Òwith a little talent but no taste.Ó Ava Gardner have in common? Each was the first • Research indicates that there is a streak of spouse of an individual who married many times. perfectionism in first-born children. Out of the first 23 Hilton was the first of eight husbands for Elizabeth U.S. presidents, 21 of them were first-born. Other
Taylor, Catherine was the first of Henry VIII’s six wives, while Mickey Rooney made Ava Gardner the first of his eight wives.
Tidbits of Flagler & E. Volusia 2/25-3/3/2010
Flagler County’s #1 Truck & SUv Store for the past 8 years! your Pete’s- uthorized Local a dealer Retrax
Ÿ Protects Cargo Ÿ Glides easily into a storage system Ÿ Electric remote!
Painted Fiberglass Lids starting at
• Spray On Bedliners • Performance Exhaust Systems • Fiberglass Toppers & Lids • Runner Boards
Now installing Leather Seats in Place of Cloth
es Best Pric r le in Flag
• • • •
Trailer hitches Chrome Packages Tool Boxes • Truck Tops Rear deck Spoilers
4601 East Hwy. 100 • Marvins Gardens F-8 • Bunnell • 386-437-8388 (1/10 of a mile west of w algreens)
COME SEE THIS HOME! We have the Credit King to help You!
Payments as low as $399* ALL HOMES ARE DISCOUNTED!
PLUS $8000 TAX CREDIT!
(Find out how to get up to $8000 in as little as 8 weeks!)
316 Hwy. 17 South East Palatka
Ÿ Credit King is always here to advise you about Tax Credit availability to first time home buyers. (If you haven’t owned a home in 3 years, you qualify as a first time home buyer) Ÿ Credit King will be here to help!
*Conventional loan 5% down, 360 Term WAC, includes home, new AC unit and set -up, delivery of home.
MODULAR & MANUFACTURED HOMES WE WILL BUILD IT YOUR WAY!
386-325-8013 If you go anywhere else... You’ve Paid too much!
Tanning Party with Dr. Ray
the other was sold in 1998 for $935,000. That's not the end of the story, though; in October of 2005, the same stamp was traded for a block of stamps valued at $3 million.
By Samantha Weaver
It was American sports writer Art Spander who made the following sage observation: "The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid." With only two known to exist, the rarest U.S. postage stamp is the 1-cent 1868 Benjamin Franklin Z-Grill, so called because of the shape that was impressed into the stamp. One of the Z-Grills is in the collection of the New York Public Library, and
The next time you're eating an Oreo cookie, consider this: It takes 90 minutes to make each cookie, and each one has precisely 90 ridges on the rim. Hindus do not eat eggs, believing them to be a valuable source of life. It may be hard to believe, but there is an official competition to see who can sit in a sauna for the longest period of time. The World Sauna Championships have taken place in Heinola, Finland, annually since 1999. The starting temperature is a sweltering 110 degrees Celsius (230
F), and a liter of water is poured on the stove every 30 seconds. The winner is the last person who is able to leave the sauna without assistance. Competitors participate at their own risk, and they are required to sign a waiver agreeing not to take legal action against the event organizers. The word hippopotamus comes from the Greek for "river horse." *** Thought for the Day: "The only really good place to buy lumber is at a store where the lumber has already been cut and attached together in the form of furniture, finished, and put inside boxes." -- Dave Barry (c) 2010 King Features Synd., Inc.
To make your own cleaning wipes, cut a roll of good-quality paper towels in half or thirds with a bread knife. Smash down to loosen the cardboard roll inside, and slip it out. Set the partial roll into a baby-wipes container or other sealable plastic container and add your favorite cleaning product to moisten, with just a little extra solution visible in the bottom of the container. Set one on the kitchen counter, in the bathroom, even in the car. They can be refilled over and over.
Apply a light coat of mineral oil to the outside surface of your stainlesssteel appliances to keep then from getting smudges. Repeat monthly.
READ Of Flagler & E. Volusia
"When replacing a button in a spot where the fabric has been torn, use a small scrap of fabric on the wrong side as reinforcement. Sew the patch in, and then replace the button." -F.K. in Montana
Clean brass or copper with this mixture for a shine at a great price: To 1 cup of white vinegar, add 1 teaspoon of salt and enough flour to make a paste. Apply and remove as you would a commercial brass cleaner. Buff to a shine.
"To check a new garment for colorfastness, blot gently with a damp cotton ball. If the color transfers, you'll know that you need to wash that item separately." -- J.C., via email
If you have a piece of wood furniture that has a scratch, try this tip you'll go nuts for: Rub the scratch with the meat of a nut. Brazil nuts, walnuts or pecans are best. But don't use any nuts that have been salted or honeyroasted. That will attract bugs.
Send your tips to Now Here's a Tip, c/o King Features Weekly Service, P.O. Box 536475, Orlando, FL 32853-6475 or email JoAnn at email@example.com.
Subscribe to Of Flagler & E. Volusia Online FREE Email us at: Subscribe@tidbitsflaglervolusia.com and join our Online Readers!
Tidbits of Flagler & E. Volusia 2/25-3/3/2010
On March 11, 1818, "Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheusm" is published. The book, by 21-yearold Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, is frequently called the world's first science-fiction novel. In Shelley's tale, a scientist animates a creature constructed from dismembered corpses. On March 10, 1876, the first discernible speech is transmitted over a telephone system when inventor Alexander Graham Bell summons his assistant in another room by saying, "Mr. Watson, come here; I want you." Bell had received a telephone patent three days before, just hours ahead of another inventor, Elisha Gray. On March 12, 1903, the New York Highlanders are given the go-ahead by team owners to join baseball's American League. The Highlanders had recently moved from Baltimore, where they were called the Orioles. The team officially changed its name to the New York Yankees in 1913. On March 14, 1935, 6-year-old actress Shirley Temple presses her hands in cement outside Grauman's Chinese Theater in Los Angeles. She first won attention with a song and dance in the 1934 movie "Get Up and Cheer." On March 13, 1942, the Quartermaster Corps of the U.S. Army begins training dogs for the newly established War Dog Program, or "K-9 Corps." The top canine hero of World War II was Chips, who attacked an enemy machine gun nest in Italy, forcing the entire crew to surrender. The wounded Chips was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star and the Purple Heart -- all of which were later revoked due to an Army policy preventing official commendation of animals. On March 9, 1959, the first Barbie doll goes on display at the American Toy Fair in New York City. Barbie was the first mass-produced toy doll in the United States with adult features. Barbie's appearance was modeled on a doll named Lilli, based on a German comic-strip character.
OCEAN CORP. Houston, Texas. Train for New Career. Underwater Welder, Commercial Diver, NDT/Weld Inspector. Job placement and financial aid for those who qualify, 1-800-3210298.
AUTO PARTS TOYOTA ENGINES 22RE and 3VZE. New 22RE heads. Parting out Toyota 4RUNNERS and trucks. www.toyotatruckpart.com 1-877-484-7888.
List Your Employment Opportunities and Job Wanted Listings Here for FREE!
COMPUTER/ELECTRONICS EMPLOYMENT DELL COMPUTERS! Brand New! No Credit Check! No Layaway Payments! Seen on TV! Everyone's Approved! Free Plasma Television! 100% Financing! From $24/Week! MyBrandNewPC.com 1-800799-6331
MOTORCYCLES WANTED JAPANESE MOTORCYCLES KAWASAKI: Z1-900, KZ900, KZ1000, Z1R, Kawasaki Triples, GT380, GS400, CB750, (1969-75) Cash Paid, Nationwide Pickup, 1-800-772-1142, 1310-721-0726.
Part time / Full time help selling a fundraiser discount coupon book in Palm Coast. No experience necessary. Event Planner that can work with our existing contacts at local businesses, publications and radio stations. Must have some computer skills with email and Internet. If you have a heart for helping people and need to earn some money Call or e-mail with your phone number and we will promptly return your call. Commission based, contract labor.
386-290-3076 steve@suncoastchurch. com
Need $$ Instantly??
If you have an accident lawsuit, you can get money against your case today!
Donâ€™t waste time worrying about money. Call 866-FUNDS-NOW today!
FEDERAL & State Jobs Earn $12-$48/Hour. Full Medical/Dental Benefits, Paid Training, FT/PT. 1800-320-9353 ext 2509.
Call for details 386-336-9013 To advertise here, call 386-336-9013. Ask us about FREE advertising. 1. Four people managed both the Yankees and the Mets during their careers. Name three of them. 2. How many times did Boston Red Sox great Ted Williams have 100-plus walks in a season?
On March 8, 1969, the Pontiac Firebird Trans Am is introduced. The Trans Am was one in a series of muscle cars released by Pontiac in the 1960s, including the Grand Prix and the GTO designed by a young John DeLorean. (c) 2010 King Features Synd., Inc.
3. In 2008, Baltimore's Ed Reed became the second player in NFL history to return two interceptions 100-plus yards. Who was the first to do it? 4. Three men's basketball coaches have won an NCAA title, an NIT postseason championship and an Olympic gold medal. Name two of them. 5. The New York Rangers and Washington Capitals were involved in the longest shootout in NHL history. How many rounds was it? 6. When was the last time before John Crews in 2009 that a U.S.-born male won the Philadelphia Marathon? 7. How many consecutive LPGA Player of the Year Awards had Lorena Ochoa won entering 2010? Answers 1. Yogi Berra, Dallas Green, Casey Stengel and Joe Torre. 2. Eleven times in his 19-year major-league career. 3. The Philadelphia Eagles' Lito Sheppard. 4. Bob Knight, Pete Newell and Dean Smith. 5. Fifteen rounds in 2005. 6. Brian Clas won it in 2000. 7. Four in a row. c) 2010 King Features Synd., Inc.
MSRP $16,390, Net rebate
MSRP $11,865 Sell Price
MSRP $19,885 Net rebate
2010 Nissan Frontier
Good Credit-Bad Credit Call Anita for pre-approval As low as NO Money Down! 2010 Sentra 2010 Versa
Plus tax, tag & fees
2008 Kia Spectra
*Dealer retains all incentives and rebates
6 ½ years “At Your Service”
252 Hwy. 17 N. Palatka
Ginormous Package Accent, 20 interior lighting vehicle alarm, Impact sensor hood molding & custom grill. MSRP $19,290 Sell price
2009 Nissan Cube
Plus tax, tag & fees
2006 Nissan Altima
386-328-2775 EXT. 150 Email: Anitaspears@becknissan.com Website: www.checkbeck.com
4x4, Platinum, MSRP $53,210 Net Rebate
2010 Nissan Armada
$9,995 Plus tax, tag & fee
2002 Toyota SportsTrac
oil change on any new purchase!
Anita will roll out the Red Carpet for you!
Cell # 386-916-0248
Anita Spears, Sales
Plus tax, tag & fee
2004 Toyota Tacoma
BECK NISSAN Free 3 yr or 36,000 mile