Becca Boyd shares tips on life and cooking on her blog at homebeccanomics.com
Every time I eat roasted turkey I think to myself, why do I only cook turkey at Thanksgiving? It’s delicious! The same goes for cheeseburgers. A summer favorite, they take a hiatus when the winds whip and the dark comes early. Enter, the burger salad. Prepared stove top (and lickety-split), this dish brings a summer smile to my face without fail and is a fantastic way to sneak veggies onto your family’s plates. The waffles are a more obvious seasonal recipe that would be a divine, cinnamon-scented way to carb up before your turkey trot. –email@example.com Naked Burger Salad serves 4 1 1/3 lb. ground beef 3 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce 1/2 tsp. kosher salt 1/4 tsp. black pepper 2/3 c. shredded Swiss cheese Dressing 1/2 c. mayonnaise 1/4 c. ketchup
1 heaping tsp. sweet relish pinch sugar pinch black pepper Assembly Mixed greens Grape tomatoes Cubed avocado Thinly sliced red onion
1. Cook ground beef in skillet until no longer pink; drain fat. Add Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Add cheese and stir to combine.
2. Whisk dressing ingredients together in small bowl. 3. Assemble salad greens, avocado, tomatoes and red onion on plates. Top with beef and then dressing. Serve. Pumpkin Waffles makes 8 1 c. canned pumpkin 2 c. milk 1/3 c. mild oil (vegetable, avocado) 1 tbsp. vanilla extract 2 large eggs
1/4 c. brown sugar 2 1/2 c. all purpose flour 1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder 1 tsp. salt
1. Heat waffle iron. Whisk pumpkin, milk, oil, vanilla, eggs and
brown sugar until smoothly combined in a medium mixing bowl.
2. In a larger bowl, whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and salt until combined.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry and fold until smoothly combined. Add in scant 1 cup amounts to iron and remove when baked through.
To freeze, cut in half and freeze on wire rack. Once frozen (about 20 minutes), combine waffle halves in plastic gallon sized zip-top bag. Toast in toaster to reheat and serve.
NOVEMBER 2019 THEWCPRESS.COM
Voice of the Borough