CA Arcserve 12.5 – Exchange Restore Process Writer: Antone Heyward Published: March 10, 2010 Applies To: Exchange 2003/2007 and CA Arcserve 12.x
Summary: This document outlines the standard process for doing a restore of Exchange 2003/2007 to a Recovery Storage Group (RSG). This process ensures that there is a two layer check of the restore settings, the production database is not overwritten and that a restore goes to a RSG that is created by Arcserve on the exchange server. This document assumes that the appropriate permissions are set, Exchange 2003/2007 is being used, and Arcserve 12.x backup software is being used. Requirements: •
A backup administrator to get tape media if needed and create the restore job.
An Exchange Server Administrator to add user account to the restore job and verify job settings.
Adequate amount of storage space on the original server of the backup or alternative location for the restore. Exchange 2000/2003 have additional requirements listed below for alternative location restores.
Instructions: 1. Logon to the Arcserve Manager and open the Restore pane. 2. Browse to the Exchange Server using the “Restore by tree” option and expand to the Storage Group for that system. 3. Right click the Storage Group and click on “Agent Option...”
4. In the Agent Option window REMOVE THE CHECK FROM: ◦ ◦
Automatically dismount databases of destination Storage Group before restore Allow database of destination Storage Group to be overwritten
Make sure that only these options are selected: - Restore to Recovery Storage Group - Run recovery after restore - Mount database after restore
5. If needed click the â€œVersion Historyâ€? button to choose the appropriate restore date/time to recover from.
6. For the Destination use the default and restore to the original location unless it's required to change it.
7. Click the Schedule and leave the default to run once.
8. Press the Start button to save the restore job.
9. Verify that the tape media and backup server being used for the restore is correct then click OK.
10. Make sure to change the user accounts used for the “Machine” and “DBAgent” tabs by clicking on the edit button. For the DBAgent tab the user account must have Exchange Server Administrator role access on the exchange server different from the backup account.
11. Add the user account “domain\username” and password. And check the “Apply to all rows” checkbox. Then click OK.
12. Lastly submit the job.
Alternative Location Restores for Exchange 2000/2003 When restoring an Exchange 2000 and 2003 Server system to an alternative location, information in all fields in this worksheet except the Server Name field must be the same on the server you are restoring to.
CA Exchange Agent TheHyperadvisor.com
Also make sure that the CA Exchange Agent path setting are changed to the correct path for where you want the RSG to be restored too. This can be found on the Exchange Server in Programs --> CA --> Arcserve Backup --> Backup Agent Admin. Change the drop down to â€œCA Arcserve Backup Exchange Agentâ€?. Then click the configuration button to the right of the drop down.
Published on Apr 27, 2010
This document outlines the standard process for doing a restore of Exchange 2003/2007 to a Recovery Storage Group (RSG). This process ensure...