SOWMIA PHILIP VISVESVARAYA NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE AND PLANNING
TABLE OF CONTENTS •RESUME •RESIDENCE FOR MR. KRISHNAKUMAR Design of a residence for a Muslim family in Coimbatore. • INTERIOR DESIGN-1 Design of two luxury bathrooms in an existing house. • INTERIOR DESIGN- 2 Project to redesign the existing studio into a modern electronic studio. • DESIGN- URBAN INFILL Project to choose a suitable building for urban infill in a given area and design the building. • STUDY ON SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT •SKILLS- SKETCHING, PAINTING
RESUME EDUCATIONAL QUALIFIACTION QUALIFICATION B.Arch- 4th year Class 12- CBSE Class 10- CBSE
YEAR OF PASSING 2008 2006
INSTITUTION VNIT Indian School Al Ghubra Indian School Al Ghubra
% OF MARKS CGPA- 7 72% 82%
•Participation in zonal NASA (national association for students of architecture) reuben’s trophy in 1st year. Sheets were displayed at the exhibition. •Participation in the annual NASA urban redesign competition in 3rd year. Made it to the finals of the competition. •First position in Hindi in class 10 CBSE Board Exams. •Won merit certificates at English Olympiad at school level.
RESUME EXTRACURRICULAR ACHIEVEMENTS •Selected within finalists at a national photography competition (Bait Al Zubair Photography Competition- ‘Celebration’) in 2007. Photo was put up for exhibition. •Sketches have been exhibited at the annual college cultural festival- ‘Aarohi’. •Poems have been published in local magazine at school level. SKILLS Sketching, painting, photography, model making Knowledge of AutoCad and 3ds Max Microsoft Office TRAINEESHIP EXPERIENCE 1) Lines and Visions- Architecture and Engineering Consultancy – Muscat Description : design research and data collection, conceptual design sketches and interior drawings using AutoCad. 2) Indigo Arkitects – Kerala Description : conceptual design sketches, design of exterior view of residences, architectural and interior drawings using AutoCad.
RESIDENCE FOR MR. KRISHNAKUMAR THE TASK: DESIGN OF A RESIDENCE THE SITE: COIMBATORE
APPROACH: • PRELIMINARY CONCEPTUAL SKETCHES REGARDING FORM AND BASIC DESIGN
• SITE ANALYSIS CLIENT REQUIREMENTS: • BEING A MUSLIM FAMILY, PRIVACY WAS OF PRIME IMPORTANCE • G+1 RESIDENCE PREFFERED
• INITIAL DESIGN BASED ON CLIENT REQUIREMENTS • PRESENTATION OF DESIGN TO CLIENT AND DISCUSSION
•2 BEDROOMS ON GROUND FLOOR AND 2 ON FIRST FLOOR
• FURTHER PROGRESS ON DESIGN
• LARGE BEDROOMS, PREFERABLY 5X6m, WITH ATTACHED BATH
• FINALISED DESIGN DRAWINGS ARE DETAILED
• TRADITIONAL LOOK PREFFERED
• DETAILED DRAWINGS ON STRUCTURAL AND ELECTRICAL REQUIREMENTS
GROUND FLOOR PLAN
FIRST FLOOR PLAN
INTERIOR DESIGN- 1 THE TASK: INTERIOR DESIGN OF BATHROOM THE CONDITIONS GIVEN: THE INTERIORS OF TWO BATHROOMS WITHIN A RESIDENCE NEED TO BE DESIGNED CLIENT REQUIREMENTS: • A LUXURIOUS BATHROOM THAT IS ALSO VISUALLY ATTRACTIVE • DRESSING ROOM ADJACENT TO BATHROOM • GOOD USE OF DESIGN ELEMENTS • PREFERABLY SIMILAR TO PICTURES SHOWN BY THE CLIENT
APPROACH: • CONCEPTUAL SKETCHES BASED ON IDEAS OF THE CLIENT
• STUDY OF DRAINAGE AND OTHER TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS IN THE BATHROOM • PLACEMENT OF TOILET FITTINGS AND FURNITURE • LANDSCAPING AND PERGOLA ARRANGEMENT TO GIVE A NATURAL AND RELAXING ATMOSPHERE
• DESIGN ELEMENTS USED TO MAKE THE BATHROOM VISUALLY APPEALING
INTERIOR DESIGN- 2 THE TASK: TO REDESIGN THE EXISTING ARCHITECTURE STUDIO INTO A MODERN E-STUDIO
REQUIREMENTS: • FURNITURE DESIGN AND LAYOUT BASED ON THE USER ACTIVITY •ELECTRICAL DRAWINGS
• DUCTING LAYOUT
APPROACH: • STUDY OF THE STUDIO •BASIC PLAN PREPARED BY TAKING MEASUREMENTS OF THE STUDIO •QUESTIONAIRRE PREPARED AND CIRCULATED TO UNDERSTAND THE NEEDS OF THE USERS BETTER
• DESIGN OF FURNITURE AND ITS LAYOUT, BASED ON THE ACTIVITIES
•FLOORING PATTERN •FALSE CEILING DETAILS
• ELECTRICAL REQUIREMENTS DECIDED BASED ON THE EQUIPMENTS BEING USED • CONVENIENT FLOORING PATTERN AND DUCTING LAYOUT
DESIGN- URBAN INFILL THE TASK:
TO STUDY THE AREA AND DESIGN A BUILDING THAT WOULD ACT AS AN URBAN INFILL FOR THE AREA, KEEPING IN MIND THE CULTURE OF THE PEOPLE AND BYELAWS. THE BUILDING SHOULD BE WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE SITE.
• INTERACTION WITH THE LOCAL PEOPLE IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND THEIR CULTURE AND HOW SPACES ARE UTILISED IN THE AREA
THE SITE: GANDHICHOWK, NAGPUR
• ANALYSIS OF SITE, COLLECTION OF DATA AND STATISTICS AND GATHERING INFERENCES.
• OUR AIM WAS TO DESIGN A BUILDING THAT WOULD DEVELOP THE AREA ECONOMICALLY AND SOCIALLY, WHILE ALSO HIGHLIGHTING IT’S CULTURE. • WE DECIDED THAT A COMMERCIAL COMPLEX WOULD BE MOST APPROPRIATE.
STUDY ON SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT A PROJECT ON SUSTAINABLE NEIGHBOURHOOD REDEVELOPMENT PROGRAMMES AIM
To understand the concept of sustainable development and how to apply it at a neighbourhood level. ‘Sustainable development is a pattern of growth in which resource use aims to meet human needs while preserving the environment so that these needs can be met not only in the present, but also for generations to come.’
STUDY ON SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT APPROACH
•Detailed study on existing sustainable neighbourhood redevelopment programmes, such as HQE2R and LEED.
•Review of case studies carried out by these programmes and how they can be applied in the Indian context. •Visit to a gated community neighborhood, and study of their spaces and surroundings. The residents of the neighbourhood were also questioned about their lifestyle, social activities, and personal expenses. •Analysis of facts acquired and personal study, followed by group discussion on positives and negatives of the system. •Suggestions on how neighbourhoods can be made more sustainable, economical and interactive + Laws that could be enforced to ensure more sustainability at the urban level. •Report prepared on the same.
MODEL MAKING THE TASK TO DESIGN A FRAME FOR A SPACE STRUCTURE APPROACH • CASE STUDY AND DETAILED ANALYSIS OF EXISTING SPACE STRUCTURES • DESIGN OF FRAME AND MODEL TO DEPICT THE SAME
PROJECTS IN 3DSMAX
DESIGN OF INTERIOR OF A LIVING ROOM Design of sofa set and table for the living room of an apartment.
DESIGN OF A HALL Design of the ceiling fixtures in the main hall of a residence.