Page 98

Southern New Hampshire University cannot resolve the issue at that level, then he or she should speak to the program coordinator/department chair. If the student is still not satisfied, then he or she should speak to the school dean or program director (day students) or the dean of the School of Professional and Continuing Education. If the student wishes to pursue the matter further, he or she should speak to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, who will review the matter and make a final decision.

Withdrawal from Class Students may withdraw from courses at any time during the first 60 percent of the semester with the course grade of “W.” The completed withdrawal form must contain the signatures of the instructor, the student and the student’s advisor. Merely ceasing to attend classes does not constitute an official withdrawal either academically or financially. Withdrawal forms may be obtained from the Bursar’s Office. Withdrawals after 60 percent of the semester will only be allowed when: • Withdrawal is student-initiated for conditions beyond the students’ control (e.g., illness documented by a physician’s letter). The course grade under these conditions will be “W.” Documentation must be provided by the student and approved by the appropriate advisor and school dean. • Withdrawal is instructor-initiated due to unusual circumstances, not as a method to prevent low grades. The course grade under these circumstances will be “WP” (withdraw passing) or “WF” (withdraw failing). Instructor-initiated withdrawals must be approved by the school dean. The student’s advisor will be notified. In all cases, the date of withdrawal is the date the completed form is received by the Registrar’s Office. Withdrawal from class does not reduce account charges. Credit hours for courses from which a student withdraws are included in his or her total number of credit hours. Withdrawal disputes must be submitted in writing within 30 days after the end of the semester during which the student withdrew.

Withdrawal from Southern New Hampshire University Students may withdraw from the university by obtaining a withdrawal form from the vice president for Student Affairs and obtaining all necessary signatures. Foreign students may obtain forms and begin the process in the Center for International Exchange. Merely ceasing to attend classes does not constitute an official withdrawal, academically or financially. Failure to file a withdrawal form with the vice president for Student Affairs will result in the automatic recording of “F” grades for all courses being taken by the student. If a student is under 18 years of age, written parental consent must be received. Official date of with-


drawal is the last date of class attendance as verified by an instructor. This date will be used in determining any refund. Southern New Hampshire University identification cards must be returned to the Student Affairs Office when withdrawing from the university. Students who withdraw from the university completely after the eighth week of the semester will receive either a “WP” or “WF” from each of their instructors. No adjustments to account balances will be done nor will withdrawal disputes be considered after 30 days from the end of the semester during which the student withdrew.

Disciplinary Dismissal Southern New Hampshire University reserves the right to dismiss any student whose presence, following a hearing, is deemed detrimental to the best interest of the university. Students dismissed for other than academic reasons will have the notation of withdrawal put on their transcripts. Documentation outlining the disciplinary sanctions will be placed in the students’ folders. This information will be used in evaluating re-admission applications.

Re-admission Students suspended from Southern New Hampshire University for academic causes may petition to be re-admitted when evidence can be presented that indicates university work can be successfully resumed. Ordinarily, dismissal shall be for not fewer than two semesters. Any students readmitted to the university are placed on new worksheets.

Academic Renewal Students who change majors or withdraw and return may apply for academic renewal. This allows students to be considered as transferring from another institution. All academic regulations are the same as those for transfer students. The following restrictions are imposed: • It must be approved by the Scholastic Standing Committee. • It may be granted only once to a student after at least a one-year absence. • A new transcript is begun with only acceptable credits transferred to the new record. A new grade-point average is started. • A minimum of 30 credits must be completed at Southern New Hampshire University after renewal is granted. • When students are granted academic renewal, any grade below a “C” appearing on their transcripts will be followed by an “AR” designation. • Courses so designated will be eliminated from the student’s GPA and will not earn credit toward graduation.

SNHU Undergraduate Catalog 2009-2010  

Southern New Hampshire University 2009-2010 Undergraduate Catalog