Page 14

Southern New Hampshire University

Transfer Credit Evaluation Process

Internal Transfer

Transfer students receive official transfer credit evaluations with their letters of acceptance. The credit evaluation lists all courses that transfer into the student’s degree program so that the student knows exactly the courses needed to complete his or her bachelor’s degree. Credits for courses in which the applicant earned a grade of “C” or better, and which fit the student’s degree program, are generally transferable. Grades of “C-” will be transferred for credit if the grade-point average of all transferred courses is 2.0 or better. We do not accept as transfer credit cooperatives, capstones, internships and student teaching taken at other institutions. In most cases, transfer applicants with associate degrees from accredited institutions are granted junior (upper division) standing. Currently a maximum of 90 credits may be transferred toward a bachelor’s degree and 30 credits may be applied to an associate degree. Grades earned in courses taken at other institutions are not considered in the calculation of the student’s grade-point average at Southern New Hampshire University. Transfer students are expected to meet all graduation requirements of Southern New Hampshire University. (See the Graduation Requirements section in the University Policies section for more information.)

Students currently enrolled in any of the Southern New Hampshire University School of Professional and Continuing Education programs who wish to enroll in the undergraduate day program must file an Internal Transfer Application with the Office of Admission. The internal transfer application form is available at each School of Professional and Continuing Education Center, or can be requested by contacting the Office of Admission at 603.645.9611. Students will be evaluated on their academic performance in their current programs. Being admitted to another Southern New Hampshire University program does not guarantee acceptance to an undergraduate day program. If a student is enrolled as a culinary student and will not finish this degree, but wishes to change his or her major, he or she must complete a change of major form in the Academic Advising Office or the Office of the Registrar.

Articulation Agreements Southern New Hampshire University continues to establish and update articulation agreements with accredited two-year colleges. Articulation agreements and course equivalency guides identify the courses that are transferable from a twoyear college to Southern New Hampshire University. Students who complete an associate degree (or equivalent) in a program covered by an articulation agreement shall have all passing courses accepted for transfer credit, as specified in the articulation agreement.

Credit for Life Experience Southern New Hampshire University recognizes that many students possess knowledge and skills that may deserve recognition through the awarding of university credits. The university has adopted an advanced placement system that allows students to be granted university credit through a variety of methods. Through the advanced placement program, credits are granted for the demonstration of proficiency in prescribed sets of competencies at a level acceptable in one of the university’s educational programs. The credits must fit into the degree requirements of the program at Southern New Hampshire University chosen by the applicant. Students beginning at Southern New Hampshire University should review with an advisor the various methods of earning credit toward graduation for previous formal and informal educational experiences.


Students may transfer from the Undergraduate Day School to other sites within the university (such as the School of Professional and Continuing Education and SNHU Online) by obtaining an Internal Transfer form from the Academic Advising Office or the Office of the Registrar and obtaining all necessary signatures. All International Students must obtain forms and begin the process in the Center for International Exchange (CIE). Failure to file an Internal Transfer form with the appropriate office may prevent the student from registering for classes or graduating in a timely manner. It may have an adverse impact on financial aid and may result in the incorrect billing of tuition and fees.

Reactivation/Readmission Students wishing to re-enter Southern New Hampshire University or transfer applicants wishing to reactivate their acceptance from a previous term must do so in writing to the Office of Admission. Students must provide updated transcripts if they have attended elsewhere. Being admitted for a previous term does not guarantee reactivation or readmission to the undergraduate day program. If a student left the university and was not in “Good Academic Standing”, they must apply for readmission to SNHU via the Scholastic Standing Committee.

Financial Aid Southern New Hampshire University provides several types of financial assistance to help students and their families meet the cost of a university education. More than $60 million was awarded to our students in amounts ranging from $500 to the full amount of educational costs during the 20082009 academic year. Financial aid programs administered by Southern New Hampshire University come from federal, state, institutional and private sources. A coordinated scholarship and assistance program includes three basic types of aid: gift, loan and work. The different types of assistance can be awarded singly, but it is the university’s usual practice to award these types in various combinations called financial aid packages. All scholarship and assistance programs are subject to federal and state

SNHU Undergraduate Catalog 2009-2010  
SNHU Undergraduate Catalog 2009-2010  

Southern New Hampshire University 2009-2010 Undergraduate Catalog