SHIP NOTES, SEAPORT & MUSEUM NEWS (Continued ftom page 36) Boulevard & Walnut Srreer, Philadelphia PA 19106-3 199; 215 925-5439; web sire: www.phil lysea pon.o rg/ hi srorics hi ps/ hisroricshipzon eupdare.hrml) ... Hospiraliry giant Delaware North Companies acquired rhree of the vessels formally owned by American C lassic Voyages. The Delta Queen, Mississippi Queen andAmerican Queen will continue to carry passengers under rhe D elta Queen Sreamboar Company name on the inl and waterways. The fourth vessel, Columbian Queen, has been purchased by America West Sreamboar Company. (DQSC, 30 Robin Street Wharf, New Orleans LA 701 30-1890 ; 504 5860631; web site: www.deltaqueen.com) ...
The River Heritage Museum in Paducah, Kenrucky, was awarded a $25 0,000 Save America's Treasures grant from the National Park Service and a $35 0,000 TEA2 1 grant from the commonwealth of Kentucky to build interactive exhibits about the natural environment, cultural history and the maritime industry's impact and role in modern Amer ican commerce. (RHM, 11 7 Sourh Water Street, Paducah KY 42 001 ; 270 575-9958; e-mai l: rhm@apex. n et) ... The Rhode Island Marine Archeology Project has discovered vand alism on a shipwreck that may be the Endeavour, the ship that went aro und rhe world with Capt. James Cook. The vessel is one of at least thirteen British
transports sunk off Newport in 1778. T he vandals exposed part of the wreck, piled up ballast stones, and broke off pan of rhe planking. T h ere is no way to know how many artifacts mighr have been raken. (RIMAP, PO Box 1492, Newport RI 02840; web sire: www.rimap.org) ... The gun turret of USS Monitor has been raised from the vessel's resring place off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, recovered this season through rhe program between
Rejuvenation for the Historic Fleet in San D iego This is a red-letter yea r for the fl eet of histo ric ships at the San Diego Maritime Museum. Two of the vessels were put in the water again, another will be hauled out for restoration, and a new vessel has joined rhe fleet. San Diego's first enclosed auxiliary pilot boat, built in 1914, saw 82 years of service escorting vessels into and out of San Diego. The histo ric Pilot is back in the water afrer a rhree-year, $300 ,000 restoration and wi ll sail local waters on educational voyages while maintaining her active pilot-boat status. In honor of the centennial of the 38-foot The Pilot escorts the ship Desaix. (SDMM) gaff sloop Butcher Boy, she was put in the water after spending thirry yea rs in storage at the museum . San Diego's oldest locally builr boar, Butcher Boy rushed mear, produce and newspapers to steamers and windjammers anchored off rhe Coronado Roads and later competed in the 1905 Lipton Cup. Anorher centenarian, rhe sream ferryboar Berkeley of 1898, is sched uled fo r haul-out in January 2003. T he drydocking plan got rhe green lighr afrer rhe lasr piece of funding fell into place. The vessel is scheduled for haul-out in January 2003 in San Diego. The 280-foot, 1,883ton ferryboat's 18,000-plus square feet of sreel hull will be sandblasted and treated with a cutting edge epoxy ceramic corrosion controlling coating that will leave her hull as good as new. The restored Pilot sails San Diego And, finally, new to the fleet is the sail training waters again. (Tom Keck) schooner Californian, rhe official tall ship of rhe state of California. The recreation of an 1847 revenue cutter has been transferred from rhe Na urical H eritage Society thanks to a gift from a local fami ly foundation. Built in 1984, she will broaden the abiliry of the San Diego Maririme Museum to reach rhe full scope oflocal maritime history and to get yo ung people out on the bay. (San Diego Maritime Museum, 1492 North H arbor Drive, San Diego CA 92 101 ; 619 234-9153; web sire: www.sdmaritime.org) Butcher Boy celebrates her centennial. (SDMM) 38
The gun turret o/USS Monitor emergesftom the deep. (The Mariners' Museum) The Mariners' Museum, rhe US Navy, and rhe Narional Oceanic and Atmospheric Admi nistration. The rurrer, alongwi rh 400 orher artifacts, is being co nserved and displayed by T h e Mariners' M useum, the future home of the USS Mo nitor Center. (TMM, 100 Museum Drive, Newport News VA 23606 ; 800 581-7245; web site: www.mariner.org and www.moniror .noaa.gov) ... A ship in the Florida Keys National Marine Sancruary has been identified as the steamer Queen ofNassau (ex Canadian Coast G uard Ship Canada). Built in England in 1904 as a small cruiser for the Canadian Fish eries Protection Service, Canada became the first training ship for the Royal Canadian Navy and served as a navy patrol vessel in World War I before being sold for service as an inter-island passenger steamer. She sank on her way to an inspection. (Association ofU ndeiwarer Explorers web sire: www.mikey. net. aue; National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration web site: www.sanctuaries .nos.noaa.gov) ... The American Folklife Center ar rhe Library of Congress is collecting oral histories as well as documents relating ro the m en and wo men who served in World W:ars I and II, the Korean War, and the Viettnam and Persian G ulf conflicts as parroJfrhe Veterans History Project created by Co ngress. Materials for volunteers who cam conducr or give interviews SEA HIS1TORY 102, AUTUMN 2002