Page 108

23513133 SCpl Michael Pinks RHG/D Served from 1st March 1962 to 1st September 1984 Died 31st August 2016, aged 76 years

23215334 WO2 John Von Hoff RHG Served from 5th August 1956 to 10th July 1959 Died 25th October 2016, 79 years

22078017 Tpr William Stokes RHG Served from 1st January 1947 to 31st December 1950 Died 24th September 2016, aged 86 years

23624117 Sgt George Rooke 1RD Served from 11th May 1950 to 26th June 1952 Died 1st November 2016, aged 84 years 23584546 LCpl G Brain Calvert 1RD Served from 1st September 1958 to 30th August 1960 Died November 2016, aged 79 Years

23215252 Christopher Trundle RHG Served from 16th April 1956 to 15th April 1965 Died 19th October 2016, aged 78 years

Colonel H O Hugh-Smith LVO Late The Blues and Royals by Colonel H P D Massey, The Blues and Royals Henry Hugh-Smith was born in 1937 and educated at Ampleforth. His father, who was in the Navy, tried to stop him returning to the army, but his mother supported him and his real military career began. He was commissioned into the Royal Horse Guards as a National Service officer in May 1957 serving in the UK and Cyprus, trying to hold peace between the Greeks and the Turks. He saw real action there and, while walking through the streets of Nicosia, his friend was shot dead beside him. The shots had come from an upstairs window. After graduating in History from Magdalene College, Cambridge he rejoined the Blues as a regular officer in September 1961. He served in a number of regimental and junior staff appointments until he went from commanding the Blues Mounted Squadron to the Staff College at Camberley in 1969. That was the year that The Blues amalgamated with The 1st Royal Dragoons after which he returned to command A Squadron, The Blues and Royals from January 1970 until October 1971. As the reconnaissance squadron in the force responsible for guarding the flanks of NATO, he took his squadron to arctic training in the north of Norway and on exercise in eastern Greece. In April 1971, his was the first squadron in the Regiment to be deployed to Northern Ireland. In 1972, as a Major on the staff of London District he was seconded to the Widgery Tribunal, charged with looking into the events of ‘Bloody Sunday’. While there, he lived with 2nd Battalion Royal Green Jackets. At the conclusion of the lengthy Tribunal he asked to accompany a patrol in order that he could get a feel for himself of what it was like to be on infantry operations. On the night of 13/14 March in an action lasting eight minutes in the Bogside in Londonderry, with some 600 rounds exchanged, Henry was shot in the right arm. His right hand was subsequently amputated above the wrist.

108 ■ Obituaries

452721 Colonel Henry Hugh-Smith LVO BA RHG/D Served from 1st January 1956 to 31st December 1991 Died December 2016, aged 79 years 24263387 F/CoH David Garland RHG/D Served from 7th May 1974 to 1st May 1988 Died 17th December 2016, aged 59 years

While Henry was recovering in King Edward VII hospital, he was visited by the Colonel, The Blues and Royals, Field Marshal Sir Gerald Templar. A considerable number of senior officers assembled to accompany the Field Marshal. However when they reached the door of Henry’s room he turned round and told them all to bugger off. At a later stage Henry presented the 2 Royal Green Jackets Officers’ Mess with a silver figure of a swan with a broken wing mounted on a marble plinth with a suitable inscription to commemorate his ‘swan’ going out on patrol. Two years ago the Commanding Officer of Second Rifles, the natural successors, met and reassured Henry that the Swan is still in pride of place next to him at all dinner nights.

He then served on the staff of Northern Ireland and 2 Infantry Brigade until in June 1974 he became Equerry to HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, a post he was extremely proud to have filled. During this time he had to learn to do everything with his left hand including writing, getting dressed, saluting, firing his personal weapon, riding a horse and sailing while wearing a hook to replace his right hand. The only thing he admitted to having given up was shooting with a shotgun. At the end of this tour he was appointed MVO, later converted to LVO. A series of postings to both Regimental and Staff appointments followed culminating in his taking command of The Blues and Royals, a Chieftain tank regiment in Detmold, in February 1978. Before doing so he had to satisfy the authorities that he could manage the duplex controller in the turret of his Chieftain with his hook. This was a challenging tour in command because he had to lead his Regiment on a roulement infantry tour in West Belfast the following year. Here the Regiment suffered several casualties, four of them fatal. Henry maintained his exceptionally high standards throughout and in subsequent enquiries was described as “an officer of the highest personal integrity whose personal sense of honour and commitment to his Regiment are absolute.” His personal

Household Cavalry Journal 2016