Participating Sites ANTHILL Fabric Gallery Cebu City. . . . Cebu . . . . . City . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page Page 18 Pedro Calomarde St. cor Acacia St., Gorordo Ave., Casa Gorordo Museum Lopez Jaena St.,St., Tinago, Cebu City. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page 22 35 Lopez Jaena Tinago, Cebu City Page 19 Cathedral Museum of Cebu Mabini St. cor. Urdaneta S., Señor Sto. Niño, Cebu City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page 23 Page 20 Cebu City Hall Museum M. C. Briones St., Señor Sto. Niño, Cebu City. . . . . Blvd., . . . . . .Cebu . . . . City . . . . . . . . Page 26 Rizal Memorial Library and Museum Bldg.,Osmeña Page 21 Cebu City Museum Hall Osmeña Blvd.,St., Capitol Site, . . .City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page 24 M. C. Briones Señor Sto.Cebu Niño,City Cebu Page 22 Chapel of San Pedro Calungsod SM Seaside Complex, South Road Properties, Cebu City. City . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Page 38 Page 23 Don Sergio Osmeña Sr. Memorabilia and CAP Art Gallery Osmeña Blvd., Sambag II, Cebu City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page 27 Page 24 Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple V. Rama St., Calamba, Cebu City
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page 28 Page 25
Fort San Pedro 29 26 San Roque, Cebu City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page Page Iglesia Filipina Independiente Cathedral of the Holy Child Jesus City. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page Page 30 27 Mabini St., Tinago, Cebu City Jose R. Gullas Halad Museum City. . . . . . . . . . . . Page Page 31 28 D. Jakosalem cor V. Gullas Sts., Señor Sto. Niño, Cebu City Museo Parian sa Sugbo Zulueta St.,St., Tinago, Cebu City. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page 32 28 Zulueta Tinago, Cebu City Page 29 Museo Sugbo M.J. Cuenco, Tejero, Cebu City City. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page 33 Page 30 Parian–Aboitizland Handurawan sa Karaang Sugbo Plaza Parian Mabini St., Parian, Cebu City City. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page 35 Page 31
Sacred Heart Parish Church – Alternative Contemporary Studio Sacred Heart Parish Church – Alternative Contemporary ArtArt Studio Jakosalem Cogon Central Ramos, Cebu City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Page Page32 3 D. D. Jakosalem St,St, Cogon Central Ramos, Cebu City San Nicolas Tolentino Parish Church San Nicolas dede Tolentino Parish Church Tupas San Nicolas, Cebu City. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page Page33 37 Tupas St.,St., San Nicolas, Cebu City Theresa’s College – Folklife Museum St.St. Theresa’s College – Folklife Museum Ramon Aboitiz Kamputhaw, Cebu City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Page Page34 # Ramon Aboitiz St.,St., Kamputhaw, Cebu City Staypi’s Souvenirs, Arts & Collectibles Staypi’s Souvenirs, Arts & Collectibles Rosal Acacia Kamputhaw, Cebu City. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page Page35 37 Rosal St.St. cor.cor. Acacia St.,St., Kamputhaw, Cebu City Sugbu Chinese Heritage Museum Sugbu Chinese Heritage Museum MC Briones St., Señor Cebu . . Cebu . . . . . City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Page Page36 39 MC Briones cor. P. BurgosSto. Sts.,Niño, Señor Sto.City Niño, United Church Christ in the Philippines – Bradford Memorial Chapel United Church of of Christ in the Philippines – Bradford Memorial Chapel Osmeña Blvd., Sta. Cruz, Cebu City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Page Page37 40 85 Osmeña Blvd., Sta. Cruz, Cebu City University Philippines Cebu University of of thethe Philippines Cebu Gorordo Ave., Lahug, Cebu City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page Page38 42 Gorordo Ave., Lahug, Cebu City University Southern Philippines Foundation – Rizaliana Museum University of of Southern Philippines Foundation – Rizaliana Museum Mabini Señor Sto. Niño, Cebu City. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page Page39 41 Mabini St.,St., Señor Sto. Niño, Cebu City Lapu-Lapu City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page Page40 44 Lapu-Lapu City a. Mactan Shrine a. Mactan Shrine b. Muelle Osmeña b. Muelle Osmeña c. Nuestra Señora Virgen dela Regla Parish Church c. Nuestra Señora Virgen dela Regla Parish Church d. Poblacion Plaza d. Poblacion Plaza Mandaue City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Page Page41 45 Mandaue City a. Bantayan Hari a. Bantayan sa sa Hari b. Mandaue City Presidencia b. Mandaue City Presidencia c. National Shrine of St. Joseph Parish Church c. National Shrine of St. Joseph Parish Church d. Plaza Complex d. Plaza Complex Talisay City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Page Page42 46 Talisay City a. Aliño Brothers Monument a. Aliño Brothers Monument d. Museo Talisay d. Museo de de Talisay c. National Historic Shrine Liberation Monument c. National Historic Shrine Liberation Monument d. Sta. Teresa Avila Parish Church d. Sta. Teresa de de Avila Parish Church e. Talisay City Hall e. Talisay City Hall
4 Welcome to Cebu’s
8th Gabii sa Kabilin
Gabii sa Kabilin or Night of Heritage is a special annual event where people visit museums and heritage sites in one night. From 6 pm to midnight, guests enjoy cultural shows, exhibits, children’s activities, contests, food fairs and other activities. To get to the participating sites, guests walk or ride buses and tartanillas (horse-drawn carriages). The event is an adaptation of Germany’s (Lange Nacht der Museen) or Long Night of the Museums, which has become an anticipated event in more than 120 cities in Europe and South America. Cebu launched the first Gabii sa Kabilin in 2007 and has remained the only metropolis in the Asia-Pacific region to hold such an event. Gabii sa Kabilin is held every last Friday of May to celebrate the Philippines’ National Heritage Month and International Museum Day, which falls on May 18. From three museums in its first run, Gabii sa Kabilin has expanded to 35 participating museums and heritage sites across the metro’s four major cities. In 2012, the Cebu City Council, through an ordinance, designated every last Friday of May as Gabii sa Kabilin. Gabii sa Kabilin is an activity where participating entities cooperate with the objective of highlighting Cebu’s cultural, historical and religious heritage through the principle of primus intra pares.
The ticket provides entry to all venues listed in this guide. Guest get free unlimited use of offered bus and tartanilla rides. Worth P150.00, the ticket is only valid for use on May 30, 2014 from 6 p.m. to 12 m.n. Children aged seven and under, accompanied by adults, get free admission and rides. The City Walk segment of the event covers participating and featured sites in Cebu City’s downtown district. Shuttle buses connect the downtown district to museums and heritage sites in other areas. Programs, activities, and schedules of participating sites are without prior notice. For museums with limited capacities due to restrictions, admission of guests will be regulated. Museums and responsible for the descriptions and programs listed in this guide.
subject to change space and safety heritage sites are
Rise of the Queen Long before the colonizing powers of the West arrived, Zubu (now Cebu), was already an important trading center. Countries such as Arabia, China, Siam (now Thailand), Borneo, the Moluccas (also known as the Spice Islands) and of Southeast Asia came into the island to trade with the natives’ merchandise and spices. The Chinese were particularly attracted not only to goods, but also to the honesty of the natives of Zubu, and it was the “ideal safe harbor” because of the protection in the east given by the Mactan Island. By the time Ferdinand Magellan and his accompanying conquistadores arrived, they saw an already bustling commercial port; there were several Chinese junks and other Asian vessels that were docked in the port, and the natives were eating from porcelain and even the slaves wore plenty of gold and jewelry. Forty-four years after Magellan’s death in the bloody Battle of Mactan against the chieftain Lapu-Lapu, Miguel Lopez de Legazpi set anchor on the shores of Cebu to continue the mission of Magellan. Shortly after landing, he ordered construction of Fort San Pedro to protect him and his men from the resistance of the natives and the sea raids, and of a church to house the image of the Sto. Niño that had been retrieved from fire when his men burned the village. But due to scarcity of food provisions in Cebu, Legazpi and his men moved from island to island until they settled in Manila which became the capital of the Philippines in 1570. When the galleon trade between the Philippines and Mexico was established in 1565, the first galleons departed from the Port of Cebu. But because the trade was centralized in Manila, Cebu sent its last galleon in 1571 and was demoted into a regional trading center, and trade relations between Cebu, China and the other Southeast Asian traders declined. A Royal Decree of April 23, 1594 allowed Cebu to participate in the galleon trade, yet the trade was short-lived and ceased entirely upon the outbreak of the Mexican Revolutionary War which led to Mexico’s independence. During the 19th century, the influence of the Industrial Revolution in Europe resulted to the great demand of raw materials from the colonies. The country’s economy made a great leap as the local industries developed in order to meet the demands and satisfactions of the industrializing pace Europe was going through. The Port of Cebu was officially opened to world trade by Royal Decree on July 30, 1860; such trade was greatly improved with the opening of the Suez Canal in November 1869, cutting traveling time and distance between Europe and the Philippines by half. Local goods, most especially materials such as spices, abaca, sugar, corn, copra, tobacco, lumber, pearls and native textiles from silk, piña and cotton passed through the ports of Europe in big quantities every year. The opening of Cebu’s port thus ushered new economic opportunities for elite Filipinos and Chinese and helped local farmers and producers. At first, the Chinese and Spanish mestizos and descendants were the most dominant in the country’s import-export trade, but with the opening to world trade, Cebu attracted other foreign entrepreneurs. Among them were Smith, Bell & Co. and Loney, Kerr & Co. from Great Britain, and Russell & Sturgis from America. Counselor agents from U.S., U.K., Germany, Denmark and Venezuela came to Cebu in the late 19th century. With the arrival of more foreign influences, Cebu’s urbanization increased at an incredible rate, especially with the introduction of the railway system. Infrastructure and other facilities and services like electricity, telephone and waterworks in the early decades of the American period would make the Queen City even more alive. Overtime, its central location in the Philippines has made Cebu a hub of economic, political, socio-cultural, and educational fields, outside of Manila. Get acquainted with these witnesses to the past clustered through participating institutions and featured sites, cultural presentations and culinary experience.
Since many of the venues are located within the city’s downtown area, Mabini St., Burgos St., Lopez Jaena St., and Colon St. (between Mabini and Jakosalem Sts.) are closed during the event so that guests can freely walk and visit these sites.
Buses Eight bus routes are set to connect all Gabii sa Kabilin participating museums and sites. The historic Fort San Pedro is used as a hub for Routes 1, 2, 3, 5 and 7. Route 4 connects Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple on V. Rama Ave. and the University of the Philippines in Lahug. Route 6 connects the cities of Mandaue and Lapu-Lapu and Route 8 connects the Chapel of San Pedro Calungsod in SRP to Talisay City. 1 – Fort San Pedro -> Shamrock -> JRG Halad Museum -> Basilica Minore del Sto Niño -> VECO Building -> San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish Church -> Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple -> San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish Church -> VECO Building -> Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño -> Cebu City Hall -> Sugbo Chinese Heritage Museum -> Fort San Pedro 2 – Fort San Pedro -> Sugbo Chinese Heritage Museum - > Cebu City Hall -> Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño – VECO Building - > JRG Halad Museum -> University of the Visayas -> UCCP Bradford Memorial Chapel -> CAP -> Cebu City Museum -> Capitol Building -> Cebu City Museum - > CAP -> UCCP Bradford Memorial Chapel -> Museo Sugbo -> NSO -> Fort San Pedro
3 – Fort San Pedro -> NSO -> Museo Sugbo -> Corner Ballesteros -> Sacred Heart Church -> St. Theresa’s College -> Sacred Heart Church -> University of the Visayas - > JRG Halad Museum - > Cathedral Museum of Cebu -> Fort San Pedro 4 – Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple -> Fuente Osmeña -> Cebu City Museum -> Capitol Building -> ANTHILL Fabric Gallery -> Staypi’s Souvenirs, Arts and Collectibles -> University of the Philippines -> Capitol Building -> Cebu City Museum -> Fuente Osmeña -> Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple 5 – Fort San Pedro -> NSO -> Museo Sugbo -> Mandaue City Plaza (vice versa) 6 – Mandaue City Plaza -> Poblacion Plaza at Opon, Lapu-Lapu City (vice versa) 7 – Fort San Pedro -> Sugbo Chinese Heritage Museum-> Cebu City Hall -> Chapel of San Pedro Calungsod (vice versa) 8 – Chapel of San Pedro Calungsod Chapel ->Museo de Talisay -> Aliño Brothers Monument -> National Historic Shrine Liberation Monument -> Talisay City Hall -> Chapel of San Pedro Calungsod
The tartanillas will ply routes between the Sugbo Chinese Heritage Museum and Fort San Pedro.
Clusters Education Participating Sites: University fo the Philippines - Cebu (1918) University of Southern Philippines Foundation (1927), St. Theresa’s College (1933), Museo de Talisay, Talisay Central School Featured Sites: Cebu Normal University (1901), University of the Visayas (1919), University of San Carlos (1595)
Public Buildings and Spaces Participating Sites: Cebu City Museum, Cebu City Hall, Mandaue City Hall, Plaza Parian, Mactan Shrine, Muelle Osmena, Poblacion Plaza at Opon, Mandaue City Presidencia, Bantayan sa Hari, Plaza Complex at Mandaue Centro, National Historic Shrine Liberation Monument, Talisay City Hall Featured Sites: Provincial Capitol Building, Calamba Cemetery, Colon Street and Obelisk, Fuente Osmeña, Heritage of Cebu Monument, Magellan’s Cross, Plaza Independencia, Plaza Hamabar, Senior Citizen’s Park, Tres de Abril Street and Monument
Port and Commercial Establishments
Participating Sites: Sugbu Chinese Heritage Museum, Fort San Pedro Featured Sites: Port Warehouses (La Nueva, Prince Warehouse, etc.), Magallanes Street, Shamrock Hotel (popularly known as Compania Maritima Bldg.), Malacañang sa Sugbo (Aduana), VECO Building
Religious Organizations Participating Sites: Cathedral Museum of Cebu (Roman Catholicism), Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple (Buddhism), IFI – Cathedral of the Sto. Nino (IFI Church), Sacred Heart Church, San Nicolas de Tolentino Church, San Pedro Calungsod Chapel, UCCP – Bradford Memorial Chapel (UCCP), Nuestra Señora Virgen de la Regla Parish Church, National Shrine of Saint Joseph Parish Church, Santa Teresa de Avila Parish Church Featured Sites: Basilica Minore del Santo Niño, Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral
Arts and Culture
Participating Sites: ANTHILL Fabric Gallery (Textiles), Casa Gorordo Museum (Music), Cebu City Hall (Photography), Cebu City Museum (Dance), Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple (Calligraphy) Fort San Pedro (Theater), JRG Halad Museum (Music), Museo Sugbo (Dance), Plaza Parian (Photography), Sacred Heart Parish – ACAS (Visual Arts), San Nicolas de Tolentino Church (Martial Arts), Staypi’s Souvenirs, Arts and Collectibles (Photography), STC – Folklife Museum (Zarzuela), UCCP – Bradford Memorial Chapel (Music), USPF – Rizaliana Museum (Music), UP – Cebu (Serenata), Lapu-Lapu City (Performing Arts), Mandaue City (Performing Arts) Featured Sites: Provincial Capitol Building, Oriente Theatre, Vision Theatre
Participating Sites: Casa Gorordo Museum, Museo Parian sa Sugbo, Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple, Museo Sugbo, Mandaue Plaza Compelex, Talisay City Hall, USPF-Rizaliana Museum, Plaza Parian, San Nicolas de Tolentino Church
Staypi’s Souvenirs, Arts and Collectibles
ANTHILL Fabric Gallery
Cebu city Museum
St. Theresa’s College
Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple
Sacred HEart Church
to mandaue City
Bradford Chapel Museo Sugbo
San Nicolas Church Fort San Pedro
Talisay City HAll
SRP to fort san pedro
to Chapel of San Pedro Calungsod
Chapel of San Pedro Calungsod
Ali単o Brothers Monument
Mandaue and Lapu - Lapu Mandaue City Plaza
Legends Route 1 Route 2 Route 3 Route 4 Route 5 Route 6 Route 7 Route 8 City Walk
Poblacion Plaza in Lapu-Lapu
City Walk IFI Cathedral
Casa Gorordo Museum
Museo PArian sa Sugbo University of the Visayas
JRG Halad Museum USPF Rizaliana Museum Cathedral Museum
Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral
VECO Bldg. Basilica Minore del Sto. Ni単o
Cebu City Hall
Fort SAn pedro Sugbo Chinese Heritage Museum
Route 1 Route 2 Route 3
Route 5 Route 7 City Walk Tartanilla
Fort San Pedro
Routes 2, 3, 5, 7, Tartanilla
shamrock Walk to USPF Rizaliana Museum, Cathedral Museum and Parian area
JRG Halad Museum Routes 2, 3
Sugbu Chinese Heritage Museum Routes 2, 7, Tartanilla
Cebu City Hall Routes 2, 7
basilica minore del sto. Ni単o Routes 2, 7
VECO Building Route 2
San Nicolas de Tolentino
Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple Route 4
Fort San Pedro
Routes 1, 1, 3, 3, 5, 5, 7, 7 Tartanilla Routes Tartanilla
Sugbu Chinese Heritage Museum Routes 1, 1, 7, 7 Tartanilla Routes Tartanilla
basilica minor del ~o sto. nin Routes 1, 7
NSO Routes 3, 3, 5, 5 walk Routes Walk to to Casa Gorordo Museum
veco building VECO Building Route 1
JRG Halad Museum Routes 2, 1, 3
University of the visayas walk to Parian area
uccp - bradford UCCP Bradford chapel Memorial Chapel
Museo Sugbo Routes 3, 5
Capitol Capitol Building Route 4
Cebu City Museum Route 4
Fort San Pedro
Routes 1, 1, 2, 2, 5, 5, 7, 7 Tartanilla Routes Tartanilla
Routes 2, 2, 5, 5 walk Routes Walk to to Casa Gorordo Museum
Cathedral Museum Museo Sugbo Routes 2, 5
JRG Halad Museum Routes 1, 2
Corner Ballesteros walk to Casa Gorordo Walk
University of the visayas walk to Parian area Walk
Corner Mabini walk to IFI Cathedral and Parian area Walk
Sacred Heart Parish Church
St. Theresaâ€™s College
Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple Route 1
~a Fuente Osmen walk Walk to to CAP CAP
Cebu City Museum Route 2
Capitol Building Route 2
ANTHILL Fabric Gallery
Staypis Souvenirs, Staypiâ€™s Arts and Collectibles
University Universityofof the the Philippines Philippines - Cebu
Fort San Pedro
Routes Tartanilla Routes 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 7, 7 Tartanilla
Routes walktoto Routes2,2,5Walk Casa Gorordo Museum
Museo Sugbo Routes Routes2,25
Mandaue City Plaza walk to Mandaue City Presidencia, Route 6, Walk National Shrine of St. Joseph Church
route 6 Mandaue City Plaza Route 5
Poblacion Plaza Poblacion Plaza AT in Opon, Lapu-Lapu Opon, Lapu-Lapu City
Fort San Pedro
Routes 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 5, 5, 7 Tartanilla Routes Tartanilla
basilica minor del ~ sto. nino Routes 1, 2
Sugbu Chinese Heritage Museum Routes 1, 2
Chapel of San Pedro San Pedro Calungsod Calungsod Chapel Route 8
Cebu City Hall Routes Routes 2, 1,27
San Pedro Chapel of Calungsod Chapel San Pedro Calungsod Route 8 7
Talisay City Hall
Ali単o Brothers Monument
walk to National Historic Shrine Liberation Walk Monument, Sta. Teresa de Avila Church
18 ANTHILL Fabric Gallery
PedroCalomarde CalomardeSt. St.cor. corner Acacia Gorordo Avenue, Pedro Acacia St.,St. Gorordo Ave., Lahug,Cebu CebuCity. City Contact number:(+63 (032) 505 4175 Contact number: 32) 505-4175
(Alternative Nest and Trading Hub for Indigenous/Ingenious Little Livelihood (Alternative Nest and Trading Hub for Indigenous/Ingenious Little Livelihood seekers) is the first creative social and cultural enterprise in Metro Cebu celebrating a seekers) is the first creative social and cultural enterprise in Metro Cebu celebrating a communal spirit among Filipino artisans, bringing into one nest ingenuity, fashion, communal spirit among Filipino artisans, bringing into one nest ingenuity, fashion, culture, advocacy, and art showcasing Filipino hand-loomed fabrics and their culture, advocacy, and art showcasing Filipino hand-loomed fabrics and their contemporary application to everyday essentials. contemporary application to everyday essentials. ANTHILL supports and establishes community-weaving enterprises to promote and preserve homegrown skills and living ANTHILL supports and establishes community-weaving enterprises to promote traditions, and enable the appreciation and transmission of Filipino weaving culture to and preserve homegrown skills and living traditions, and enable the appreciation and the younger generations through business development, product design and transmission of Filipino weaving culture to the younger generations through business innovation, and market access. In this hub, fabric is more than just an ingredient to development, product design and innovation, and market access. In this hub, fabric fashion. It is a way of life. It is where culture meets style. is more than just an ingredient to fashion. It is a way of life. It is where culture meets style.
PROGRAM 6PM – 12 MN Store Story Tour Craft Corner: Wear your tribe. Wear with pride Fabric Statement Bracelets Heart- Woven Commitment Mobile PROGRAM 6 p.m. - 12 m.n. • Store Story Tour • Craft Corner: Make your own “WEAR YOUR TRIBE. WEAR WITH PRIDE.” fabric statement bracelets
19 CasaGorordo GorordoMuseum Museum Casa Lopez LopezJaena JaenaSt., St.,Tinago, Tinago,Cebu CebuCity City Contact number: 418-7234 loc. 703 (+63 32) 418-7234 loc. 703 Contact number:
The Casa Gorordo Museum is a historic house museum showcasing 19th century Cebuano-Filipino lifestlyle, declared a National Historical Landmark by the National Historical Institute on September 24, 1991. Built in the 1850s, four generations of the Gorordo family lived here, including Juan Bautista Gorordo, the first Filipino bishop of the Diocese of Cebu. The museum is managed by the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc. - Culture & Heritage Unit. It was built in 1850 by Alejandro Reynes, and bought in 1863 by Juan Isidro de Gorordo, a businessman from Vizcaya, Spain who got married to Telesfora Garces, a member of a Chinese mestizo family. One of their six children was Bishop Gorordo. Like other stone houses of the area, Casa Gorordo then had a large zaguan on the ground floor, where products from the Gorordo farm like sugar, corn, and fruits were kept. A common practice of the religious families of Parian was to keep the images and busts of the saints resting in the zaguan while waiting for the next fiesta and procession. Other practices of the Gorordo family are still being observed today, like the celebration of the feast of St. John the Baptist on June 24, and the reenactment of the Sinúg, a prayer-dance dedicated to the Sto. Niño which preserves the original performance style of the Diola family. The current structure was a result of two major restorations, the frst being done from 1980-1983 and the second in 2005. PROGRAM 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. • Choral and Chamber Music by Sistemang Pilipino 9:00 p.m. - 12:00 m.n. Cebuano Cultural Expressions • Balak • Cebuano music by renowned composers • Sugbuanong drama • Live harp music FOOD FAIR Cultural excursions to the flavors of Germany, Mexico, Venezuela, Spain and Cebu EXHIBIT Framed Photos of old Cebu, Leyte, Negros, Iloilo, Palawan, and Zamboanga from the Netzorg Filipiniana Collection of the Ortigas Foundation, Inc. CHILDREN’S ACTIVITY Agricultural activities during the late 1800s
20 Cathedral Museum of Cebu Mabini cor. Urdaneta St., Señor Sto. Niño Sts., Cebu City Mabini St. cor. Urdaneta St., Señor Sto. Niño, Cebu City Contact number: Contact number: (+63412-3455 32) 412-3455
The Cathedral Museum of Cebu, opened in November 2006, is the ecclesiastical museum of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cebu. As such, its focus is regional Church architecture and artifacts. Many of the items on display are from the Spanish colonial times. These are housed in a building which is in itself a museum piece. The building was one of the few extant structures in downtown Cebu City that was totally spared from the ravages of World War II. It also survived uninformed renovators and the natural elements. Built in the early 19th century, the building was first the parish convent of the Cathedral, then a school of the University of San Carlos, then a cooperative store, and even a temporary chapel during the renovation of the Cathedral. In the museum is a memorial chapel exhibiting a collection from the parish of Carmen, Cebu that includes a tabernacle, gradas and altar panels made of wood encased in etched silver. The memorial chapel is also frequently used for special exhibitions. Six galleries are on the upper floor: one of photographs and illustrations depicting the growth of the Catholic faith in the island; a second keeping the memorabilia of Cardinal Ricardo Vidal, who resided in the convent as parish priest of the Cathedral, with prayer books, notebooks and a sample ballot used in the election of a pope, as well as a cardinal’s ring given to him by his predecessor, Cardinal Julio Rosales, and the vestments he used during his Episcopal ordination, his elevation to the cardinalate; a third showing how churches were constructed in the Spanish era through photographs as well as actual building materials used; a fourth gallery on a gathering of Saints, whose statues come from various parishes, including one of St. Joseph at his deathbed; a fifth displaying chalices and ciboriums, priestly vestments and other accoutrements of the liturgy of the Mass and the sacraments of the Roman Catholic Church; and the last being a sample bedroom of a priest. The museum showcases Cebu's heritage as one of the oldest dioceses and the largest—at one time—in Asia. The more liberal stance of the Church in Cebu is reflected in its offering of the Museum building as venue for non-religious activities such as cultural programs: poetry readings, book launchings and exhibits.
EXHIBIT Remembering John Paul II: The Saint in Cebu Memorabilia of the pope’s visit in Cebu in 1981.
21 Cebu City Museum
Mabini cor. Urdaneta St.,Capitol Señor Sto. Osmeña Blvd., Site,Niño CebuSts., CityCebu City Contact number: Contact number: (+63412-3455 32) 412-3455 The Cebu City Museum is housed in an old neo-classic building that, like UP-Cebu and Vision theater, was designed by Juan Arellano. It was completed in the 1930s as a monument to the national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal. Thus, the building is known as the Rizal Museum and Library, with the Museum on the second floor and the library on the ground floor. The offices of two commissions of Cebu City are also on the second floor: the Commission of Tourism and the Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission (CHAC). The idea to build it came from the public librarian of the time, Mrs. Flavia Suson Muaña. Her idea received support from Jose “Pepe” Nolasco, the impresario of the long-running and wildly successful Cebu Petit Carnival. Nolasco organized a fundraising campaign for the construction of the building, a worthy addition to Cebu City's emerging landscape. Managed by the CHAC, the museum features works of known and up-and-coming visual artists in Cebu. Part of its permanent collection is a set of paintings depicting the history of Cebu City. With the impending transfer of the library to its own building, the museum will have more room for exhibits. The third floor, called the Sinulog Hall, generally serves as venue for cultural events sponsored by the City government.
Vintage Car - Photo Op CEBU CITY MUSEUM • Painting customized souvenir items • History of Cebu City Exhibit SINULOG HALL • Sinulog photo exhibit winners • Sinulog Festival Queen costume winners by Kenneth Ylamas • Entertainment featuring the Festivals of Cebu City, Sinulog Idols, Cebu City Children Performing Arts, Knapsack Dancers, and Miss Cebu winners • Film showing: Sinulog short film winners LIBRARY 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Storytelling 8:00 p.m. - 12:00 m.n. Sinebuano Short Films FOOD FAIR Filipino, Chinese, Korean and Indian delicacies
22 Cebu CebuCity CityHall Hall
M. C. MCBriones BrionesSt., St.,Señor SeñorSto. Sto.Niño, Niño,Cebu CebuCity City ContactContact number: number: (+63 32)412-0000 412-0000
In 1907, the Spanish Government’s Ayuntamiento was strengthened and repaired. It had to be retouched and readied for the incoming Presidentes Municipales who would govern Cebu after approval of the Philippine bill permitting, for the first time, the administration of civil government by Filipinos. The Ayuntamiento of Cebu was turned into a Municipio circa 1912. The seat of city government had shifted a number of times—it was located at one time on the corner of Enrile and Infanta—but it had remained within this section of the city. It evolved into the current City Hall after Cebu City regained its cityhood charter status in 1937. The Americans had abolished Cebu's city status and then reinstated it in 1937 after a vigorous and successful campaign by newspaper publisher turned politician, Don Vicente Rama, who became Cebu City's first mayor under the American charter. The present four-storey, gracefully colonnaded City Hall was repaired and reconstructed with War Damage Funds during the term of the late Mayor Miguel Raffiñan. Annexes and wings had to be added to the main building over the years to accommodate expansion of several City government offices in order to serve a growing constituency better.
PROGRAM 8:00 p.m. Film Showing of a Cebuano film presented by the USC CAFA Cinema Studies Program EXHIBIT PISTAYM Photo Exhibit A collection of American-era Cebu City photos from the Uytingchua family, sponsored HAMBIN Inc., Downtown Revitalization Project, and Smart Communications, Inc.
23 Chapel Chapel ofof San San Pedro Pedro Calungsod Calungsod SMSeaside SeasideComplex, Complex,South SouthRoad RoadProperties, Properties,Cebu CebuCity City SM
The Chapel of San Pedro Calungsod is the first structure in the SM Seaside Complex, echoing a practice during Spanish times when towns would be built around a church. The Chapel was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Henry Sy, Sr. to the Archdiocese of Cebu, and is dedicated to San Pedro Calungsod, the first Visayan saint, who is considered a role model for the youth. Martyred in Guam for his missionary work in 1672, he was beatified by Blessed Pope John Paul II on March 5, 2000. San Pedro Calungsod was canonized by Pope Benedict XVI at Saint Peter's Basilica in Vatican City on Oct. 21. Designed by US-based Architect Carlos Arnaiz, the chapel can accommodate up to 800 people and sits on an elevated 5,001 sqm lot within the SM Seaside Complex. The design for the chapel is meant as homage to Cebu’s dynamic spirit. The chapel has 100 walls, each with a unique height and width so that they seem almost like people. No one is the same and yet they are all connected in the fact that they exist together as a cluster. The walls come together to form a kind of congregation, and within it are auxillary spaces for a baptistry, an adoration chapel, prayer niches, the sacristy, 14 stations of the cross, and even a quiet room for children. A multipurpose area for church functions is located below. This contemporary piece of architecture attests to Cebu’s becoming the heart of Philippine design culture—open, vibrant, yet relaxing in a spirit of cosmopolitan exchange. The building is grounded on a long history of ecclesiastical architecture wherein light and structure work together to inspire. And yet, the design is truly contemporary, futuristic, and contextual.
PROGRAM • Guided tour inside the chapel • Audio-visual presentation • Architecture and construction of chapel
24 Sergio Osmena DonDon Sergio Osmeña Sr. Sr. Memorabilia and CAP Art Gallery Memorabilia and CAP Art Gallery Osmeña II, Blvd., Sambag II, Cebunumber: City Contact number: 416-4932 Osmeña Blvd., Sambag Cebu City / Contact (+63 32) 416-4932
When Don Sergio Osmeña, second president and the only Cebuano president of the Philippines, retired to Cebu after an honored career as politician and statesman, he moved together with his second wife, Doña Esperanza Limjap of Binondo, into the house along Jones Avenue, now Osmeña Boulevard. He lived here until his death on 19 October 1961. The house and grounds have the American Tropical Design. The house has a private elevator that used to carry the aging president from the ground to the second floor. The modesty of the house as compared to those owned, for example, by the Borromeos, the Villalons, and the Gil Garcias, speaks of the Cebuano ideal of living “in low key.” The personal belongings of Don Sergio are on display here as well as the art collection of the College Assurance Plan, which bought the house. The memorabilia includes some old Bentwood furniture, photographs, and a magnificent touring black Cadillac that the president used in his lifetime.
PROGRAM Guided tour President Osmena’s memorabilia
25 Guang Shan Chu Un Temple FoFo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple V.V.Rama RamaSt., Ave., Calamba, Calamba, Cebu Cebu City City Contact Contact number: number: 253-8144 (+63 32) 253-8144
There are many temples in Cebu City built by the Chinese immigrants. One of them is the Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple located along V. Rama St. (Fo Guang Shan means “Buddha Light Mountain” while Chu Un means “compassion and gratitude.”) The Chu Un Buddhist Temple is one of the branches of the worldwide Sangha of Go Guang Shan based in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. It stands at V. Rama Avenue, a religious complex constructed in 1988 by Paterno Luym Sr. to honor his mother, who was a devout Buddhist. Three buildings of the temple lie on 1.8 hectares of sloping land: Kuan Yin Shrine, Bamboo Garden Dining Hall, and Di Zhang Shrine. In March 1989, Venerable Tze Rung came from Taiwan to administer Chu Un as its first Abbess. In 1990 the late Head Abbot Venerable Hsin Ping led a group of disciples to perform the purification ceremony of the Kuan Yin Shrine (The Great Mercy Hall). The third floor of this building is the tea room or conference hall. Also here is the Ludo and Luym Family Memorial Hall. The second floor is for praying for the deceased. Here is found the temple’s columbarium and the statue of Amitabha Buddha of the Pure Land. This temple, which attracts crowds around the Chinese Lunar New Year, attests to the growing diversity of religious followers in the City. It has offered religious, educational and cultural activities for the past 20 years. For example, the temple gives bundles of joy to the neighbors every Christmas. They have since also included activities every first Sunday of the month to encourage interaction between the temple and its neighbors in the barangay. A teacher or master will teach them good grooming, how to set a table, flower arranging, taichi, meditation and to follow the three acts of goodness: Do good deeds, speak good words and think good thoughts. They have also conducted medical and dental missions for the barangay.
PROGRAM 6:00 p.m. - 12:00 m.n. Main Shrine • Bathing of the Buddha • Buddhist Etiquette and Chinese culture • Amazing Wisdom Race • Souvenir Selling • Chinese Calligraphy Demonstration
26 Fort San Pedro San Roque, Cebu City San Roque, Cebu City Contact number: Contact number: (+63416-7080 32) 416-7080
Built in 1565 under the orders of Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, the first governor of Cebu, Fort San Pedro is the oldest and smallest triangular-shaped fort in the Philippines. It was constructed out of logs and hard clay and was named after the ship “San Pedro” that bore Legazpi’s flag on his way to the islands. It served as the first settlement of the Spaniards in the Philippines, and as defense against the hostile natives and the Muslim pirates. Its structure was converted to coral stone in the 1700’s. The fort served many functions as the years rolled by. During the revolution against Spain, many of the prominent citizens and the Spanish governor himself sought refuge here from the mob that attacked the city. Under American rule, it was a camp for soldiers from 1937 to 1941; it was also a school for the locals until 1943. It was used for defense by the Japanese in World War II and when they left, it housed many prisoners. During the War for Liberation, it served as a hospital, and after the war, was again a camp until 1950. In 1950 the Cebu Garden Club made a miniature garden in it, while the upper part served as offices of various government agencies. In 1957, the inner yard became a zoo managed by the Lamplighter group. It needed some rearrangement and repair by 1968, so the old stone squares were replaced with coral stones from the sea. Today, under the management of the Cebu City Government, Fort San Pedro is a museum-park with exhibits of artifacts from the Spanish period like documents, paintings, sculptures, weapons, canyons, helmets and porcelain of various sizes. Before their transfer to the Museo Sugbo, here also the National Museum displaved the underwater finds from the galleon “San Diego” that was lost in the Visayan Sea and which was said to have been built in Cebu as part of the famous Galleon Trade.
PROGRAM 6:15 p.m. AVP about Fort San Pedro
7:45 p.m. Sinulog Dance - USC Theatre Guild
8:00 p.m. 6:45 p.m. Cebuano Ballads Kadaugan sa Mactan - USC Theatre Guild 8:15 p.m. Man Versus Culture Dance 7:00 p.m. Drama by the USC Theatre Tres Divas song numbers Guild 7:15 p.m. 8:30 p.m. Battle of Tres de Abril - USC Fort San Pedro Audio Visual Theatre Guild Presentation 7:30 p.m. Tres Divas song numbers
8:45 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Repeat Performance
EXHIBIT Ground Floor Manuel Pañares Painting Exhibit 2nd Floor • PISTAYM Photo Exhibit: A collection of American-era Cebu City photos from the Uytingchua family sponsored by the Cebu City Government, Downtown Revitalization Project, Smart Communications, Inc. and HAMBIN Inc. • Historical Stamp Collections by the Cebu Stamp Club led by Mr. Richard Allan Uy FOOD FAIR Native foods and delicacies
27 Iglesia IglesiaFilipina FilipinaIndependiente Independiente–– Cathedral Cathedralof ofthe theSto. Sto.Niño Niño Mabini Tinago, Cebu Contact number: 413-1502 Mabini St.,St., Tinago, Cebu CityCity / Contact number: (+63 32) 413-1502
The Philippine Independent Church, also known as the Aglipay Church after its first head, Fr. Gregorio Aglipay, emerged as an offshoot of the revolution against Spain. Both Fr. Aglipay and Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo visited the church in 1903 when its construction began. The Cathedral at Cebu is on Mabini Street (formerly Calle Maria Cristina) in Cebu City's old Parian District, on land donated by the prominent Cebuano statesman Vicente Sotto. Despite a fire that struck the century-old church, the congregation was able to set aside marriage, burial and baptismal records dating back to the 1920s. Life-size religious images of Mater Dolorosa and the crucified Christ that are over 100 years old remain well-preserved. The IFI Cathedral of the Holy Child is the seat of a Diocese which administered believers in Cebu, Bohol, Leyte, Samar, Masbate and Mindanao before the outbreak of World War II. Its first bishop, Rt. Rev. Jose Evangelista, served from 1904 to 1917. The virtuoso poet of the Sugbuanon language, Rt. Rev. Fernando Buyser, also served as bishop of the Diocese from 1931 to 1945.
PROGRAM 7:00 p.m. • Church History Theatre by the Youth IFI • Pre-Spanish and Spanish • Inspirational Message by Bishop Vic Esclamado EXHIBIT Old icons, old canonical documents and liturgical vessels
28 Jose R. Gullas Halad Museum JakosalemSt. cor V. Gullas Sts., D.D.Jakosalem cor. V. Gullas St.,Señor SeñorSto. Sto.Niño, Niño,Cebu CebuCity City Contact number: Contact number: (+63268-2579 32) 268-2579
The JRG Halad Museum pays homage to the musical heritage of Cebu. It showcases works of Cebuano and Visayan musical legends of the 20th century like Ben Zubiri, Vicente Rubi, Domingo Lopez, and Pilita Corrales. It lies at the corner of V. Gullas and D. Jakosalem Streets, Cebu City on land that was the former home of famed Cebuano Philanthropist Lady Josefina Rivera Vda. De Gullas. The JRG is the initial of her son, Jose “Dodong” R. Gullas, who credits his parents and grandparents for his love of Cebuano culture in general. More than a cultural attraction, the JRG Halad Museum has made aggressive efforts in preserving music, renewing appreciation, and deepening learning of Cebu’s musical past. By bringing together memorabilia of Cebuano composers and artists, these works and artifacts celebrate the imaginative Visayan folk life and language. The artifacts are mostly musical scores, instruments, records and personal items donated by Cebuano artists and several performers and their heirs. The instruments do not lie idle in shelves, but guests are invited to actually play them. The revamped and completed Halad Museum was opened to the public in June 13, 2011 with more musical pieces on exhibit. The museum features three galleries dedicated to Cebuano music, the founder’s gallery, and kinaiyang Sugbuanon (Cebuano cultural traditions). The Kinaiyang Sugbuanon section showcases the Cebuano traditions over time including life-cycle events, popular practices and expressions of religiosity in the different artworks depicted.
PROGRAM 6:30 p.m./8:00 p.m./9:30 p.m./11:00 p.m. • 30-minute cultural performances featuring Luzon-Visayas-Mindanao folk dances by the UV Filipiniana Dance Group and all-Cebuano repertoire by the internationally acclaimed UV Chorale • Bisaya videoke corner EXHIBIT Mini-exhibit of Cebuano traditional musical instruments
29 MuseoParian PariansasaSugbo Sugbo Museo Zulueta St., Tinago, Cebu City Zulueta St., Tinago, Cebu City Contact number: 255-5408 Contact number: (+63 32) 255-5408
The Museo Parian could be the oldest ‘dated’ house in the Philippines, with the date ‘Año 1739’ clearly etched on top of a doorway. This house was built by Chinese artisans to serve as headquarters for the Jesuit Missionaries before they were expelled from the Spanish territories. It survived fires and bombings during the World War II when it was used as headquarters of the USAFFE (United States Armed Forces in the Far East). Like the Casa Gorordo and the Yap-Sandiego Ancestral House, Museo Parian gives a glimpse of how the important members of the society in Cebu lived during the 18th century. The house has passed down to different owners and received add-ons like lattices and louvers, grilled windows with snaps and rivets. A piece of the coated wall which chipped off shows a 1946 Los Angeles daily. It is said that the house was bought around 1910 by Don Luis Alvarez y Diaz, a huge stone-and-tile mansion bordered by Zulueta and Binakayan streets on a lot in old Panting, adjacent to Parian. The earlier owner could have been a Spaniard working for the Tabacalera company, perhaps Don Cristobal Garcia. In the 1960s, the house was leased to an Alvarez kin, Peping Rodriguez, for use as a club. Within the decade it again changed hands - with the Sy family as the owners. The old Jesuit house was found inside a warehouse. Nicanor Sy, the owner, realized that there was more to the house than just being part of the warehouse. Together with Architect Anthony Abelgas, he worked on its restoration and conversion into a museum. The ground floor is now called Sugbo Gallery showcasing maps of old Cebu and old photos of Cebu. As museum, the house displays some relics belonging to the old Jesuit house it now occupies, like pieces of porcelain, ceramic, and pottery that were found while rehabilitating its foundation and said to date back to the 1580s-1640s. There is also an incomplete set of teacups, with only the top of the kettle along with them. Coins buried under the pillars, an old practice, are also on display. One is an old Chinese minted during the Emperor Wan Li’s Reign, further strengthening the fact of Chinese settlement in Parian during the 16th and 17th centuries.
PROGRAM 6:00 p.m. - 12:00 m.n. • Video presentation on noodle-making • Harp player serenading with old Cebuano pieces • Harana-singing of Cebuano songs • Scheduled guided tours of the galleries FOOD FAIR Taho and Sherbet CHILDREN’S ACTIVITY Storytelling on how the Chinese food peddlers in Parian sold noodle soup, taho, siopao, and siomai
30 Museo Sugbo
MJJ.Cuenco M. CuencoAve., Ave.,Tejero, Tejero,Cebu CebuCity City Contact number: Contact number: (+63239-5626 32) 239-5626
The Museo Sugbo, formerly the Cebu Provincial Jail, sits on land northward of the city where cemeteries, the leprosaria, and institutions of confinement were once placed. Created in the Spanish period, much of the structure came from coral stone blocks from the demolished Parian Church. Designed in 1869 by Domingo de Escondrillas, the lone architect in Cebu at the time, the Cárcel de Cebú was originally proposed as the Carcel del Distrito, the main prison for the Visayas District. This accounts for its relatively large size at the time it was built. After twenty years of use, a renovation was ordered in 1892, which added more buildings behind the main structure that now serves as the first six galleries of the museum. During the Revolution, many of the Katipuneros were incarcerated here without trial and executed in nearby Carreta Cemetery. During the early years of the American period, the Carcel served as a stable for horses competing in the Hipódromo nearby. But it was eventually used once again as a prison, both for the city and the province. The second story of the main building was probably added during the American colonial period. During the Japanese Occupation, guerrillas were imprisoned here after enduring torture under the hands of the Kempei-Tei, the Japanese secret police. After the war, many of the collaborators in Cebu were also imprisoned here. From the 1950s to 1976, the front section of the Cárcel served as the city jail, while the three structures behind were used as the provincial jail. In the 1980s, the name Cebu Provincial Jail was changed to Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center. This repository of Cebuano and Philippine Heritage, a brainchild of former Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia, was inaugurated on August 5, 2008. The largest museum in the Province of Cebu, it has 14 galleries that trace Cebu’s history from the pre-colonial up to the Japanese periods: the Pre-Colonial Gallery, the Spanish Colonial Gallery, the Katipunan Revolution and the American Colonial Gallery, the War Memorial Gallery, Gregorio & Jovito Abellana Special Exhibition, Sen. Vicente Rama Special Exhibition, and the Cebu Journalism and Journalists Gallery. Also found here are the regional branches of the national Museum of the Philippines and the National Historical Commission of the Philippines.
PROGRAM 6:00 p.m. - 12:00 m.n. • Guests will be welcomed by Abyan Ensemble (Tribal Music Performance). • Presentations by local talents • University of Cebu Dance Troupe • Dos Compañeros • Food demonstration of local town products from Ginatilan (palagsing and sinakol), Argao (torta), Catmon (budbud kabog), and Carcar City (chicharon) • Photobooth: CTOA Tourist Desk FOOD FAIR Larsian Barbecue at the San Lorenzo Building Terrace.
31 Plaza Parian Parian Plaza
MabiniSt., St.,Parian, Parian,Cebu CebuCity City Mabini Contact number: 416-1600 Contact number: (+63 32) 416-1600
At the center of the Parian district was Plaza Parian and the massive Parian Church known as the Iglesia de San Juan Bautista, which was suppressed and destroyed in the 1870’s. A number of stone, tile and wood principalia residences were gathered around the Parian Plaza, such as those of the Cui, Gandionco, Del Mar, Garces, Sanson, Villa, Rodriguez, and Avila families. It was here that the Junta Popular of the Republic under Luis Flores was established on Jan. 10, 1899. When the Americans occupied Cebu in the same year it was converted into a telegraph office. In the nineteenth and early twentieth century, the area also had a schoolhouse and, later, the building which housed the newly-established Cebu Fire Department and, in 1918, the Cebu Public Library. The triangular plaza was for long the venue of a theatrical performance by life-size marionettes depicting the life of St. John the Baptist to the time of his execution by decapitation. Year after year, till the 1970s, the decapitation scene with its fake blood and gore drew applause from its huge audience. Today the plaza is fenced off as it is the site of the Heritage of Cebu Monument, a paean to Cebuano history done by artist Ed Castrillo, unveiled when Ricardo Cardinal Vidal was Archbishop of Cebu. PROGRAM 5:00 p.m. Gabii sa Kabilin Opening Program 6:30 p.m. Aboitizland’s Handurawan sa Karaang Sugbo 7:30 p.m. Mandaue Children’s Choir HERITAGE SHOW The communities of Aboitizland will be showcasing their role and contribution to Cebu’s heritage and culture. FOOD FESTIVAL Relish the best of local cuisine made by Aboitizland’s partner communities. EXHIBITS Kabag-uhan: Now and Then Photo Exhibit Showcases photographs (mounted at their exact location in the present) of Cebu’s historic landscape from the collection of AboitizLand’s CEO, Andoni Aboitiz.
32 Sacred Sacred Heart Heart Parish Parish ChurchChurch D. Jakosalem St., Cogon Central Ramos, Cebu City Alternative Contemporary Arts Studio Contact number: 253-6479 D. Jakosalem St., Cogon Central Ramos, Cebu City / Contact number: (+63 32) 253-6479 Originally dedicated to Our Lady Queen of China, Sacred Heart Parish-Jesuit was founded in 1952 for the Chinese community in Cebu. The parish has its own Alternative Contemporary Arts Studio, which exhibits works of Cebuano contemporary visual artists. The parish was first known as Our Lady of China Parish to honor the “Our Lady of China,” which explains why it was built primarily by Chinese Catholics in Cebu. The church structure has unique arches surrounded by well-tended gardens. The curved design at its top, where the huge image of Christ and the Sacred Heart are, never fails to catch the eye of parishioners and passersby alike. The Sacred Heart Church, whose official name is the Archdiocesan Shrine of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, was finished in 1960 using donations from parishioners who were mostly Chinese. Its erection marked the return of the Jesuits to Cebu in their official capacity as missionaries. The Jesuits, it must be recalled, were expelled from the Philippines in the mid1700s and their properties confiscated in favor of the Diocese of Cebu. The modernistic Sacred Heart Parish Church sits on land that adjoins the Archbishop's Palace and grounds after it was moved there from downtown Cebu City. Sacred Heart Church has a special ministry for Cebu City's vibrant Chinese-Filipino Community, many of whom lived in the area in the 1950s.
PROGRAM Workshop on Basic Drawing of Portraits 9:30 p.m. / 10:30 p.m. / 11:30 p.m. Raffle draw of donated art works EXHIBITS • A photo exhibit of the various ministries of the parish from the coffee table book Sacred Heart Parish, Cebu: Years of Enkindling Hearts • Contemporary artworks by Fine Arts students of USC
33 San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish Church Tupas St.,Cebu San Nicolas, Cebunumber: City Tupas St., SanContact Nicolas, 261-0849 number:City. (+63Contact 32) 261-0849
The 1584 San Nicolas de Tolentino Parish is one of the oldest in the Philippines, years ahead of the establishment of the Cebu Diocese in 1595. Located some 1.5 km south of the ciudad, it was called Cebu Viejo, separated from the ciudad by the Pagina creek and El Pardo. It is considered the original site of the landing of Legaspi’s Armada on 27 April 1565 and became the embryo of a settlement, which Legaspi established and named San Miguel. San Nicolas was a vibrant town during the Spanish Period, the spawning ground for the Revolution against Spain in 1898, and the birthplace of Cebuano musical legends of the 20th century. It was merged with Cebu City on 17 April, 1901. The church was constructed according to the ancient arrangement of "pintakasi" wherein the faithful under the command of the Gobernadorcillo and the direction of the Cura Parroco worked voluntarily or contributed money for materials or in kind for the sustenance of the workers. A belfry 34 meters high was constructed until 1812. A parochial house was built in 1814 and finished in 1825. A clock was placed upon it in 1850. The church suffered great destruction and damage on the account of a storm in October 15, 1912 and an earthquake in February 29, 1922. Except for an original wall facing Lakandula St., the church was obliterated during an American air raid in WWII. What sets San Nicolas church apart is the multi-colored tile mosaic created by respected sculptor Fidel Araneta, made of tiles imported from Italy, when the church was rebuilt after the war. The church used to host a Flores de Mayo that bested the one at the Cathedral. Its parishioners, like the Abellas and Abellanas among others, claim close descent from Tupas, the ancient “King of Cebu.” Today, the church hosts the Kaplag festival, which celebrates the discovery of the image of the Holy Child by Juan Camus, who was part of the Legazpi expedition. It also re-enacts the baptism of Rajah Tupas on March 21, 1567 at the age of 60.
PROGRAM 6:00 p.m. - 12:00 m.n. Guided tour 7:00 p.m. Arnis demonstration by Doce Pares 8:00 p.m. Performance of compositions Nicolasnon music legends
FOOD FAIR Native seafood dishes San Nicolas’ Pasil and Taboan areas are famous for EXHIBITS • Santo Niño Teniente de la Guardia • Retablo mosaic by Fidel Araneta • San Nicolas de Tolentino Relic and Panecitos
34 St. Theresa’s College – Folklife Museum Ramon Aboitiz St., Kamputhaw, Cebu City
The museum is housed in a college that has given Cebu City one of the best education for women beginning in the 1940s, when it was managed by the Belgian nuns who had great success at St. Catherine's College in Carcar, Southern Cebu. One of its distinguished alumna was Lourdes Reynes-Quisumbing, who became education minister for the Philippines. This outstanding education flowered from the classroom level like the classes of folklorist Sister Ma. Delia Coronel ICM in the 1950s onwards that laid the foundation of its current Folklife Museum; a case of a class project that bore fruit to become part of Cebu City's cultural landscape. The museum brings to life features of the Cebuano lifestyle before, during, and after the Spanish period, and the artifacts of the Asian countries that have had trade relationships with the Philippines. The collection consists of items donated by Sr. Delia and her students in History, including rare religious icons, works of native artisans saved from the ravages of war and natural calamities from altars of devotees of the Sto. Niño, the Virgin Mary and the Passion of Christ. Outside of the Christian content, it also holds the Maranao Darangen Epic of Mindanao, now recognized by UNESCO as a great Filipino Epic. The Mindanao Lumad Collection is complemented by the paintings of local artist Manuel Pañares.
PROGRAM Excerpt of a Zarzuela performance EXHIBIT STC Trailblazers Exhibit
35 Staypis Souvenirs, Staypi’s Souvenirs, Arts and Arts Collectibles Rosal St. cor. Acacia St., Kamputhaw, Cebu City and Collectibles Showcases a wide variety of artifacts that carry cultural significance in Asian, Filipino and more importantly Cebuano society
PROGRAM • Tour • Photobooth 9:00 p.m. Picture as a Cultural Tool: A Short Lecture EXHIBIT Pre-War Photos of Cebu
36 Sugbu Chinese Heritage Museum MC M. C.Briones BrionesSt., St.,Señor SeñorSto. Sto.Niño, Niño,Cebu CebuCity City
The Gotiaoco building near the City Hall is a 100-year-old neoclassical type representative of the building boom in the early decades of the American period. It was built as a commercial structure in 1914 by Chinese trader Don Pedro Gotiaoco (1856-1921), who was from Fukien Province in China. It sits on reclaimed land owned by the DENR and leased for 99 years. At the end of the lease, the building was declared by the Cebu Sangguniang Panglungsod as a local heritage site, specifically as the site of the Sugbu Chinese Heritage Museum (SCHM). On completion of reconstruction and repairs of damages from the earthquake of 2012, the SCHM can operate as the premier institution and repository of the Chinese cultural heritage in Cebu. Already, the SCHM Foundation and the National Museum of the Philippines signed a Memorandum of Agreement in 2013 granting the Foundation the authority to restore and convert the building into the SCHM Museum. The building was instrumental to Cebu's burgeoning trade as it provided the much needed office and commercial spaces in response to the rising trade before the World War II. During the war, fire destroyed the building. Gotiaoco’s descendants, the Gotianuy family, restored the building to make it look like the original structure, except for a clock in the old structure. When Cebu Broadcasting Company inaugurated its twin stations in 1947, KZBU was broadcasting from the third floor of the building (its sister station, DYRC, was housed in the Heacock building at Magallanes St.). Later, the building was leased to the city government and used as a warehouse and office of its market operations division because it is just a block away from Carbon Market, the city’s biggest public market. Now that it has been declared a heritage site, the contributions of the Chinese community to the growth of Cebu will be recognized: in trade and industry, language, science and technology, arts, lifestyle, religion and education.
EXHIBIT • A Glimpse of the contributions of the Chinese cultural and social influences • Prelude on Gotiaoco Building Rehabilitation
37 United Church of Christ of the Philippines – Bradford Memorial Chapel Osmeña Osmeña Blvd.,Blvd., Sta. Cruz, Sta. Cruz, CebuCebu City /City. Contact Contact number: number: (+63255-1265 32) 255-1265
The Bradford Chapel along Osmeña Boulevard is the oldest Presbyterian church in Cebu, recently celebrating its first 100 years. Its establishment marked an important milestone in the religious history of the province. Currently it is the only protestant church in Cebu designated by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines as a national historical Landmark. It was built in 1913, which marked the growth of Protestantism in Cebu. Of interest is the chapel’s “Bradford Bell,” which came all the way from England. The chapel is named after Matilda L. Bradford and is managed by the United Church of Christ in the Philippines, along with a more modern and bigger church at the back and, flanking it at both sides, the Visayas Community Medical Center and the Bradford Christian School. Its location along Jones Avenue is a testament to America's cultural sensitivity towards the staunchly Catholic Cebuanos. By placing it away from the old city, Bradford became a focal point of the new American development without intruding on the old Spanish-built quarters.
PROGRAM 6:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Song Performance by the Church choir EXHIBIT History of UCCP in the Philippines CHILDREN’S ACTIVITY 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Storytelling
38 of UniversityUniversity of the Philippines – Cebu Gorordo Ave., Lahug, Cebu City Philippines – Cebu the Contact number: Gorordo Ave., Lahug, Cebu City. (+63 Contact 32) 233-4708 number: 233-4708 Established on May 3, 1918, UP-Cebu’s first campus was located in Warwick Barracks (Ermita), then moved to Colon corner Jakosalem Sts., then to Fort San Pedro. The provincial government donated the site of the present campus in Lahug. It was inaugurated in 1929. The main building is neoclassic and the structure has a left and right wing divided by an entry hall. A basement entered through from the rear served as a garrison in World War II where some foreign residents of the city were kept. In 1951 UP Cebu had to be closed due to financial difficulties. After serving as the campus for the Jesuit Berchmans College, it was reopened a decade later. By 1934 it was called the UP Junior College. The main building is one of several constructed by Engineer Agustin Jereza, founder of the University of Southern Philippines (USP), along with the Rizal Museum and Library, Vision Theater and the buildings of USP at the Mabini campus. The administration building of the UP-Cebu has seen modernization through the years but its structural integrity has remained as a visual proof of America's enlightened educational system through its open spaces and bias for symmetry.
PROGRAM 7:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. • AVP – History of UP • Trivia Game 8:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. • Performance by the UP Serenata • Guided Campus Tour EXHIBITS • History of UP Exhibit • Oblation Exhibit CHILDREN’S ACTIVITY 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. • Larong Pinoy
39 Universityof ofSouthern SouthernPhilippines Philippines University Foundation––Rizaliana RizalianaMuseum Museum Foundation
Mabini Señor Niño, Cebu Contact number: 414-8773 local 214 Mabini St., St., Señor Sto.Sto. Niño, Cebu CityCity. / Contact number: (+63 32) 414-8773 local 214
The USPF-Rizaliana museum houses the largest collection of Jose Rizal memorabilia outside of Luzon. It is located in USPF’s oldest campus in Mabini Street, right beside the Cathedral Museum. The collection occupies special significance since Rizal’s writings, which it includes, are credited to have fired the flames of nationalism that led to the Philippine Revolution of 1898. The Rizaliana has pieces of the hero’s wardrobe, including undershirts, winter coats and breeches; sketches of his sisters; and most importantly—in a heroic life informed and directed by literary exercise—letters to his colleagues and friends, as well as all fourteen postcards with the text of his poem “Mi Ultimo Adios” and an original K.K.K flag. How the collection got to Cebu in the first place is a vignette of social history. Rizal’s sister Lucia married Mariano Herbosa, and their granddaughter Concepcion Herbosa in turn married the late USPF vice-president Escolastico Duterte of Cebu and nephew of the university’s founders, Agustin and Beatriz Jereza. To further bind the ties, another Rizal descendant, Maria Montes Punsalan, married USPF’s fourth president, Oscar Jereza, Jr. With the connection in place, the memorabilia of Rizal was donated by his sister Trinidad to the university in February of 1951. In 1961, the Jose Rizal Centennial Commission made the USPF Rizal Museum into Rizal’s National Shrine.
PROGRAM • Performance by the USPF band, choir, dance troupe, and the string-quartet. • Inter-active audience challenge to dress a mannequin according to era EXHIBIT Photo exhibit of the “Loves of Rizal”
40 Lapu-Lapu City c/o Lapu-Lapu City Tourism Office
c/o Lapu-Lapu City Tourism Office. Contact number: 341-1644 Contact number: (+63 32) 341-1644 Once named Opon, Lapu-Lapu City is named after the native chieftain who successfully resisted the Spanish incursion into Mactan led by Ferdinand Magellan in 1521. The city’s old district retains many features of the Spanish-era poblacion. The City of Lapu-Lapu (old Opon) was chartered in the early 60s. The city being the center of Mactan Island, formerly known for its American airbase, continues to attract visitors to the Birhen sa Regla Church, Muelle Osmeña, and General Milling Corporation. The 1970s saw the completion of the Mandaue-Mactan bridge and the Mactan International airport, the second busiest airport in the Philippines, further boosting Lapu-Lapu's importance to Cebu's economy. A second bridge, the Marcelo Fernan Bridge, was later constructed in view of the growing commuters both local and outside Cebu. Lapu-Lapu City is classified as a first-class highly urbanized city today, with a population of 350,467 as of the 2010 survey, and is part of the Cebu Metropolitan Area. That Mactan Island was the site of Chieftain Lapu-Lapu's vanquishment of Magellan is commemorated today by the crowd-drawing “Kadaugan” or Victory in Mactan in April.
Muelle Osmeña 5:45 p.m. Opening 6:00 p.m. Old Opon Walking Tour Auditorium and Plaza 6:45 p.m. Rampada (1st place) 6:50 p.m. Walk through all Livelihood Booths and Olango My Getaway (OMG) Tour 8:10 p.m. Rampada (2nd place) Livelihood Exhibit Old Cebuano songs 9:40 p.m. Rampada (3rd place) Livelihood Exhibit Old Cebuano songs Liberty Shrine (Mactan Shrine) 6:00 p.m. Mactan Tour starts 6:30 p.m. / 9:30 p.m. / 11:30 p.m. Re-enactment 7:30 p.m. / 10:30 p.m. / 12:00 a.m. Dance presentations 8:30 p.m. / 11:00 p.m. Mactan Tour Bigfoot Studios 6:00 p.m. - 12:00 m.n. Visual Animation of Lapu-Lapu
41 Mandaue City Mandaue City c/o Mandaue City Tourism Office
c/o Mandaue City Tourism Office.(+63 Contact number: 343-9091 Contact number: 32) 343-9091 While today known for its industrial character, Mandaue City has retained reminders of its past from the Spanish and American Periods. Its historic plaza complex at the Centro provides a backdrop for heritage activities. Mandaue was the old Mandaui or Mandavi of Spanish records and existed at the time of Magellan's landing expedition in Cebu. In those times it was a vassal village to Rajah Humabon's Sugbu ruled by a chieftain named Lambusan. In Spanish times it was part of the church-owned Hacienda de Mandaue. It have started off as a mission village (which included present day Consolacion, Liloan and Poro) serving as a bulwark for the church in the northern Cebu and was managed by the Jesuit in 1638, then a century later by the Recollects. The Philippine revolution in 1898 gave the town a new form of administration in accordance with the organic decree of the Central Revolutionary Government. The short-lived revolution was overthrown by the American troops and a battle nearly destroyed the town in 1901, killing Presidente Benito Ceniza. Mandaue produced two Cebu governors and its presidencia (town hall) across the old stone church dedicated to St. Joseph is a symbol of those times when a small town like it produced great men like the Cabahug brothers, Sotero and Fructuoso. Mandaue became a chartered city on June 21, 1969, by which time Mandaue had become the local headquarters of such companies as San Miguel Corporation, Norkis Trading, CENAPRO, and Mandaue Timber Company (MATIMCO). Since then Mandaue has become Cebu City's partner in progress, a highly urbanized city since 1991, and part of the Metropolitan Cebu Area. Drive through Bantayan sa Hari, 100 year old Mandaue Central School, and Heritage Plaza. Mandaue Presidencia Area • Cultural Shows • Rise of the Queen: Mandaue’s contributions to the growth of Cebu from the 1860s • Justice Sotero Barte Cabahug Monument National Shrine of St. Joseph • Centuries Old Church: The National Shrine of St. Joseph • Senor de Cena / Relics of the 12 apostles Rizal and Bonifacio Memorial • Stage and Public Library • Panoramic View of the Heritage Plaza at the rooftop Mandaue City Plaza • Cooking demo and tasting of Mandaue delicacies • Garbo sa Mandaue (Pasalubong Center) • Panagtagbo Festival street dancing • Silhig-making demo
42 Talisay City
Museo de Talisay c/o Museo de c/o Talisay. Contact number: 406-4534 Contact number: (+63 32) 406-4534 Talisay is part of the Cebu Metropolitan Area, a second class city with a population (from the 2010 census) of 200,772 people. It is known for its “inasal baboy” (roasted pig). Its name is taken from the 'Magtalisay' tree which is abundant in the city. In 2000, the municipality of Talisay was converted into a city. The city is now linked to Cebu City via the new South Coastal Highway from Lawaan, opened in 2004, a 6-lane coastal highway from downtown Cebu City to the town of Minglanilla, with several exits in between, many of which are exits to several areas of Talisay City. Because of this highway, traffic has been greatly reduced, making the city a popular zone for housing once more, as it was in the early 70s and 80s. Away from the bustle of its commercial district, Talisay’s historic sites are tucked away comfortably in its old center. Here one can still encounter remnants of the city’s history from the Spanish Period up to World War II. Talisay City used to be part of the huge Talisay-Minglanilla Friar Estate run by the Augustinian Order. It produced sugarcane along with other agricultural crops. Its Spanish period church is a stone's throw away from the landing of American liberation forces in Cebu in the 1940s, to which a monument has been built. Talisay, a former beach resort town to the Baby Boom Generation, now enjoys cityhood status and is dubbed as “the gateway to Southern Cebu.”
PROGRAM Welcome Dance at Talisay City Hall Off to Poblacion (Liberation Monument, Tres Aliños, National Heroes Monument, Sta. Teresa Church, and Museo Talisay) FOOD FAIR Inasal and delicacies (kunsilba, nilusak, etc.) served for sale and tasting EXHIBITS Presentation of crafts & souvenir items
Featured Sites Museum Building BPIBPI Museum Building
Basilica Minore del Santo Ni単o Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral
Calamba Cemetery Cebu Normal University Cebu Normal University
Cebu Provincial Capitol
Port Warehouses MalacaĂąang sa Sugbo
Theatre Oriente Theater
Colon Street and Obelisk Plaza Hamabar
Estero de Parian
Shamrock ShamrockHotel/Compania Hotel/CompaniaMartinima Maritima
Smith Bell and Company Building VECO Building
46 University of San Carlos
Theatre Vision Theater
Yap Sandiego Ancestral House
Tres de Abril Street and Monument
University of the Visayas
47 Children’s Activities Lapu-Lapu City This year, Gabii sa Kabilin will include interactive demonstrations and activities where children can participate, learn and have fun from 6-9 p.m. in seven venues. They are the following: Casa Gorordo Museum • Agricultural Activities Museo Parian sa Sugbo • Storytelling on the Chinese peddlers Cebu City Museum • Sugboanon children’s stories at the Library Fo Guang Shan Chu Un Temple • Amazing Wisdom Race Plaza Parian • Pinoy Games UCCP-Bradford Memorial Chapel • Storytelling University of the Philippines • Pinoy Games
In partnership with
Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission • Cebu City Tourism Commission Cebu City Traffic Operations Management • Cebu City Police Office Cebu City Parks & Playgrounds Commission • Department of Public Services General Services Office
Lapu-Lapu City Tourism Office • City Traffic Management Services Lapu-Lapu City Police Office
Mandaue City Tourism Office • Traffic Enforcement Agency of Mandaue Mandaue City Police Office
Talisay City Tourism Council • City of Talisay Traffic Operation & Development Authority Talisay City Police Office
Barangay Partners Cebu City
San Roque • Señor Sto. Niño • Tinago • Parian • Tejero • T. Padilla Zapatera • Cogon Central Ramos • Day-as • Mabolo • Kamputhaw Lahug • Ermita • Kalubihan • Suba
Centro • Ibabao • Looc
Talisay City Poblacion
Your electronic guide to Gabii sa Kabilin: Rise of the Queen set for May 30, 2014. Includes information on all participating museums, planne...