Powell River’s original golf course started rough – goats trimmed the grass – but it swiftly found its feet
A century o
he first ever recorded game of golf in qathet, played in-between stumps, occurred in 1921 where No. 5 & 6 paper machines were eventually built. The game was played between Mrs. Jeanette McIntyre and Dr. Andrew Henderson – no score was taken and they mostly lost their golf balls in the tall grass. As the town grew, sports became an integral part of the residents’ life and was also promoted by the Powell River Company. On October 26th 1922, a group of golf enthusiasts led by Dr. Henderson, met at Central Hall and formed the Powell River Golf club.
Sunday night buﬀets are back !
Vegetarian, Vegan & Gluten Free Op ons Available Open 7 days a week ! Fully licensed We do Catering for all Occasions !
604 414 0143 Air
1st Winner for Best Vegetarian and Vegan op ons
Lunch:11:00-2:30 pm, Dinner: 4:30 pm to 9:30 pm
6275 MARINE AVE, POWELL RIVER, BC, V8A 4K6, CANADA www.royalzayka.com/powellriver
4-DAY SUMMER CAMPS AT THE MUSEUM! JULY 12-15 OR AUGUST 9-12 7 - 12 YEAR OLDS History comes alive through these 4-day camps! Children will explore a variety of topics related to local history. Camps run Tuesday to Friday from 9:30 am to 3:00 pm. Contact Joëlle Sévigny at the Museum to register: 604-485-2222 firstname.lastname@example.org
$165.00 / individual
• July 2022 • qathetliving.ca
BLAST FROM THE PAST JOËLLE SÉVIGNY That same year the first golf course appeared, consisting of four holes. It was located by the waterfront, southeast of the mill site and snaked around the oil storage tanks, a barn and many other hazards. As the Powell River Company grew, so did the golf course: by 1923, it had six holes and by 1926, the course had nine holes. Over the years, some holes were moved to make space for the ever-growing mill. One of the founders of the P.R. Co., Michael Scanlon, donated $5,000 to the club in 1929 (about $85, 000 today). The funds were used to build a clubhouse; the Sallie Scanlon Lodge, named after Michael’s daughter. No longer in existence today, the building was located at 5561 Oceanview Avenue (now Marine Avenue). Prior to the 1940’s, the golf season ran in the fall and winter, after cattle, sheep and goats had trimmed the fairways to a suitable playing length. Powered mowers began in the 1930s, and were later popularized in the late 1940s. Eventually, the golf club began planning for an 18hole golf course. Designed by Les Furber, the 160acre site at Myrtle Point was chosen and opened in June 1991. Blast from the Past is written monthly by qathet Historical Museum and Archives public engagement coordinator Joëlle Sévigny. | email@example.com
THE “OLD GOLF COURSE”: Clockwise from top, cover of the Nov-Dec 1955 PR Digester. Two golfers pose in front of the club house, 1920s. Stan Leonard, Canadian professional golf star, makes a putt, 1950. Golf club, 1929. Dick Ward driving a Case tractor in front of the Sallie Scanlon Lodge. and the Junior Golf Club, 1945-55. Photos courtesy of
the qathet Historical Museum & Archives