A primer on what to do and whatâ€™s happening in 2011.
5/13/11 10:22:01 AM
Destination Shopping for Women
3600 sq. ft. of Fashion featuring Tribal Sportswear FDJ French Dressing ]oseph Ribkoff Frank Lyman Woolrich Sportswear Columbia Sportswear Yoga Jeans, Jag Jeans Spanner, Conrad C check out our new
Outlet Fashions 5046 - 48th Ave.
“Where savings are always in style”
Mon - Sat 9:30 am - 5:30 pm 5028 48th Avenue Ladner Village Friday 9:30 am - 8 pm www.southcoastcasuals.com Sunday Noon - 5 pm
E Let us help you ﬁnd your unique style E
An Event for the
whole family RAIN OR SHINE
on 48th Avenue
• Farm fresh produce • Artisans • Plants and Garden art
• Live music • Food galore
Join thousands of visitors and make a day of the market!
Sundays 10 am - 4 pm
June 13 12 • June 26 June • June 27 July 10 • July 24 July 11 • July 25 August 14 August 22 28 August 8 ••August September 11 September 12
www.ladnervillagemarket.com MAY 2011
5/13/11 3:21:58 PM
Your guide to discovering Delta Here’s a list of all the special events and places to visit while you’re in town Special Events 1. Shrine Barbecue - On Sunday, June 5, sink your teeth into a juicy salmon steak at the Tsawwassen Shrine Club’s 42nd annual salmon barbecue. The grill heats up at noon and continues until 5:30 p.m. at Ladner Harbour Park. Access the park via the 5100-block of River Road. Proceeds from the event go to Shrine charities. 2. Ladner Village Market - Spend a sunny Sunday afternoon at the Ladner Village Market on 48th Avenue. The market will be held on the second and fourth Sunday of the summer months, beginning in June. Dates in 2011 are: June 12 and 26, July 10 and 24, Aug. 14 and 28 and Sept. 11. Shop at more than 140 vendors for fresh produce, pottery and other crafts, clothing and original artwork or simply sit with a cup of coffee taking in the atmosphere. 3. North Delta Family Day - Set for Sunday, June 26, this uniquely Delta experience includes a parade from Burnsview Secondary School to North Delta Community Park. At the park, enjoy a barbecue, live performances and more. 4. Canada Day - The Tsaw-
wassen-Boundary Bay Lions celebrate Canada Day at Diefenbaker Park in Tsawwassen. Enjoy a hot dog and a piece of cake under the July 1 sunshine. There will be games for the kids and plenty of patriotic entertainment. Canada Day parties will also be held at the Delta Museum and at Kirkland House on Ladner’s Arthur Drive. 5. South Delta Jazz Festival - The eighth annual South Delta Jazz Festival is a weeklong event from July 5 to 9 featuring various concerts for the public at a handful of local venues. Visit www. southdeltajazzfestival.com for details. 6. Tour de Delta - World class cycling competition comes to all three Delta communities from July 8 to 10. The Tour de Delta is made up of three events: the MK Delta Criterium in North Delta on July 8, the Brenco Criterium in Ladner Village on July 9 and the White Spot Road Race that culminates in Tsawwassen on July 10. 7. International Bog Day - The Burns Bog Conservation Society will celebrate the event on July 24 with bog tours, entertainment, a jog and environmental exhibits. The address is 10388 Nordel Court. Call 604-572-0373 for
The Tsawwassen Sun Festival is held every summer on the B.C. Day long weekend. more information. 8. Tsawwassen Sun Festival - This year’s Sun Festival begins on July 30 and continues all long weekend. The annual fair features stage entertainment, a marketplace and more. There will be activities in Winskill Park and a colourful parade along 56th Street. 9. Ladner Village Quilt Walk and Classic Car Show - The annual Ladner Village Quilt Walk and Classic Car Show takes place on Sunday, Aug. 21. You can check out a wide variety of classic automobiles and different types of quilts during a casual stroll through scenic downtown Ladner. 10. Outdoor Movie Nights in Tsawwassen - The hugely popular screenings are back for three Saturday evenings MAY 2011
this summer. Hosted by the Business Improvement Association of Tsawwassen, the free outdoor screenings will be at Diefenbaker Park on July 23 (Jurassic Park) and Aug. 6 (either ET, Toy Story, The Incredibles or Harry and the Hendersons) and at the Town Centre Mall on Aug. 20 (How to Train Your Dragon). Prior to the movies, there will be a mini festival with games, activities, food and more. 11. Ladner May Days - The annual community celebration, now in its 115th year, turns Memorial Park into a party zone during the last weekend in May. May Days features midway rides, stage entertainment, a colourful parade through Ladner Village and much more. 12. Ladner Bandfest - The sixth annual event, set for June 11 and 12 at Memorial Park, will feature over 20 adult concert bands from across the Lower Mainland. Performances will continue through to 6 p.m. both days. 13. Christmas in Ladner - Holiday traditions like the carol ships, tree lighting and breakfast with Santa take place each December in Ladner. Sip on a hot chocolate, enjoy the lights and listen to the festive carolers to get into the Christmas spirit. 3
5/13/11 11:53:47 AM
14. Polar Bear Swim - A New Year’s Day tradition sees brave souls splash into the frigid water of Boundary Bay. With entertainment and a roaring bonﬁre on shore, swimmers dash out of the water as quickly as they go in. 15. Car boot sales - Held at the Centennial Beach parking lot twice a month on Saturdays (starting at 8:30 a.m.) from June to September, this British-style group garage sale has turned into a popular summer event. Dates this year are: June 11 and 25, July 9 and 23, Aug. 6 and 20 and Sept. 3 and 17.
17. Sunday car lot at Town Centre Mall - Looking for a new ride? The Tsawwassen Boundary Bay Lions Club, in co-operation with Century Group, provides space at the Town Centre Mall on Sundays for people to sell used cars. 18. A Day at the Farm - The sixth annual agricultural awareness event will be held on Sept. 10 at Westham
City folk get their hands dirty at A Day at the Farm every September. Island Herb Farm. Watch for demonstrations and farm tours.
Golfing 19. Cove Links - The ninehole layout is just south
of the Fraser River in the Marina Garden Estates area of Ladner. It poses signiﬁcant challenges for an executive course of 1,800 yards. The par 29 layout includes a couple of 200-yard par 3s as well as several water hazards.
16. Concerts in the park - Seven local bands will
perform at Memorial Park, Diefenbaker Park, Sunshine Hills Park and Social Heart Plaza from late June into early August. Bring your own blanket and lawn chair and settle in for some outdoor tunes. Visit www.corp.delta. bc.ca for dates and times.
WHERE FUN IS THE NAME OF THE GAME
Great Selection of Outdoor Products That Will Keep the Kids Happy for Hours!
Your table is waiting
Lego • Playmobil • Puzzles Games • Arts & Crafts
1274 56th Street, Tsawwassen 604.943.8748
1202B 56th Street, Tsawwassen
(Next to Jack’s TV)
In little Point Roberts there is a restaurant where you can eat shellfish, drink chardonnay and watch the whales play.
It is called ... 725 South Beach Rd. Point Roberts, Wa. 1-877-670-4052 ~ toll free
• Chamilia Jewelery • Luxurious Bath & Body Lines • Gourmet Goodies • Hand Blown Glass • Pottery by local artisans
5/13/11 11:52:43 AM
The Ladner Leisure Centre is a great place to splash around at any time of the year.
21. King’s Links - The semiprivate course is at the foot of 72nd Street in East Ladner. The links-style layout, which offers great views of Boundary Bay, plays from five sets of tees, ranging from 5,377 to 6,865 yards. 22. Tsawwassen Springs Golf Course - The first nine holes of Delta’s newest golf offering are set to open this summer. The course, which will eventually be 18 holes, was designed by local golf course architect Ted Locke. 23. Delta Golf Course - The course is on the edge of the municipality’s agricultural
base in East Delta. The par 67, 4,933-yard course has enough difficult holes to keep low handicappers honest, but the wide-open fairways make it accommodating for novice players. Delta offers a licenced coffee shop and a driving range is located next door. 24. Sunshine Woods - Adjacent to Highway 91, the par 3 course is practical for all ages and can be completed in under three hours. There is a driving range on site and a snack bar.
Attractions 25. Ladner Leisure Centre - Located in the civic precinct, the complex consists of pool, complete with sauna, swirl, waterslide, toddler area and aquatic climbing wall. There’s also an arena, 2,800-squarefoot weight room, new fitness studio, multi-purpose rooms and a concession.
Promotions 604-943-1735 Leasing 604-943-2203 www.TsawwassenTownCentreMall.com MAY 2011
20. The Point Roberts Golf & Country Club - The 18-hole course opened in 2001 in the quiet American peninsula. Ranging from 5,144 to 6,868 yards, depending on the tees, the course is cut through the forest with views of the ocean on several holes.
5/13/11 2:27:35 PM
26. Winskill Aquatic and Fitness Centre - In Tsawwassen’s Winskill Park, the centre features a family-oriented pool, full fitness facility and fitness studio. Outside there’s a children’s playground and many ball fields.
28. F440 Racing Challenge - Shouting distance from Splashdown is the F440 Racing Challenge. Let loose in an open wheel Formula race car or an Italian racing kart.
27. Splashdown Waterpark The aquatic amusement park just north of the Tsawwassen ferry terminal consists of advanced and intermediate body slides, Big Jim’s River Run, a ramp slide, tube slides, a children’s slide and a splash park. Splashdown also boasts a hot tub, concessions, an arcade and barbecue rentals. It’s open from late May until the Labour Day weekend, weather permitting.
29. Delta Museum - Housed in an almost century-old building on Delta Street in Ladner Village, the museum boasts a number of permanent and rotating displays, and plays host to a variety of public programs. 30. Sungod Recreation Centre - Five pools, sauna, steam room, arena, weight room, aerobic studio, gymnasium, meeting rooms and physiotherapy clinic make up this busy facility in North Delta.
Simply the Best in Delta
The Delta Museum is housed in a century-old building in Ladner Village.
• • • • • • • •
• Toll Free 1-888-777-1266
Secure online reservations at
Quiet and comfortable guest rooms Private meeting rooms for up to 250 people Full Catering services Licensed on site Restaurant 4 Indoor & 1 outdoor tennis court Conveniently located at the gateway to Vancouver Minutes from YVR; Tsawwassen Ferry; US border Complimentary Wireless Internet in guest rooms & meeting rooms • Outdoor pool & fitness centre • Free Parking for hotel guests For Room Reservations visit our website or call!
31. Libraries - Internet access as well as wireless access to library catalogues are available at Delta’s libraries: the George Mackie Library in North Delta, the Ladner Pioneer Library and the Tsawwassen Library. Open seven days a week, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca for details.
5/13/11 11:50:34 AM
32. Ladner Outdoor Pool - Splash around under the summer sun in this civic-run pool that features a diving board and concession stand. 33. Wellbrook Winery - Located on 88th Street in East Delta, Terry Bremnerâ€™s winery features a turn-of-thecentury atmosphere thanks to its Old Grainery Store and 55-acre heritage farm. Wellbrook offers free wine and juice tasting and hosts Summerfest (Saturday, July 16), which includes a classic car and motorcycle show and blueberry bake-off. Visit www.wellbrookwinery.com for more information.
Winery - A must-visit when on Westham Island, the winery specializes in wines made from fruit, everything from strawberries to black currants, grown right on the farm. It also features a picnic area, tasting room and a gift store complete with gourmet cheese, jellies and syrups. 35. Tsawwassen Paintball - With countless buildings, bunkers and obstacles, the field at Tsawwassen Paintball can accommodate any size group in a number of different games and scenarios. Located near the ferry terminal, the facility boasts quality rental gear and experienced staff.
34. Westham Island Estate
This Summer Discover
Tsawwassen and enjoy these FREE family friendly events.
Sat., June 25 Multicultural Dance Celebration Bayside Village (by CIBC) 3:00 - 5:00pm Featuring local dance talent
Bring your blankets, chairs and enjoy the movies under the stars.
Sat., July 23 Diefenbaker Park Food & Entertainment ~ 6:30 Movie ~ Begins at Dusk Presented by: Tsawwassen Collision Randyâ€™s Excel Tire & Auto Service
Sat., August 6 Diefenbaker Park Food & Entertainment ~ 6:30 Movie ~ Begins at Dusk Presented by: Tsawwassen Springs
Sat., August 20
Historic Fruit Winery
Tsa. Town Centre Mall
PREMIUIM FRUIT WINES BREMNERâ€™S PURE FRUIT JUICES & FROZEN FRUIT UNIQUE GIFT STORE EXCITING EVENTS (check website for details)
Food & Entertainment ~ 6:30 Movie ~ Begins at Dusk Presented by: Tsa. Town Centre Mall
10 mins from Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal 30 mins south of Vancouver
In extreme weather conditions events will be rescheduled Shop Tsawwassen... itâ€™s your town!
Open daily 11am-6pm 4626 88th Street, Delta, BC 604.946.1868
For a complete list of businesses & events please visit:
www.shoptsawwassen.com MAY 2011
5/13/11 11:48:57 AM
36. SilverCity Riverport - Although Delta isnâ€™t home to a movie theatre, itâ€™s only a short drive through the George Massey Tunnel into Richmond to ďŹ nd SilverCity Riverport. It features 19 screens, including IMAX and RealD 3D, a food court and small arcade. 37. OWL - The Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation Society is a non-proďŹ t organization dedicated to the rehabilitation and release of injured and orphaned birds. Located just west of the Boundary Bay Airport, OWL opens its doors to tours every weekend. 38. Vancouver Giants - The
in Ladner, providing the public a glimpse of tomorrowâ€™s NHLers through practices, scrimmages and exhibition games.
Head coach Don Hay puts the Giants through their paces at the Ladner Leisure Centre. Western Hockey league team, winners of the 2007 Memorial Cup, is based out of the Ladner Leisure Centre, holding practices and training sessions throughout the season. Every August, the club holds its training camp
39. Point Roberts - Immediately south of Tsawwassen is the geographical anomaly of Point Roberts, Washington. This area, while part of the continental United States, is only reachable by land through Canada via a border crossing at the foot of 56th Street. 40. Point Roberts Marina - The well-designed marina provides easy access to the San Juan Islands in the
United States and the Gulf Islands in Canada as well as Vancouver, Victoria and other ports of call. With concrete ďŹ‚oats, a fuel dock and a marina club for members, the facility is used by mariners out for some ďŹ shing, whalewatching or just sailing. 41. Fourth of July - Point Roberts, the tiny U.S. peninsula immediately south of Tsawwassen, celebrates American independence with a pancake breakfast, parade and other festivities. Animation Celebration will be the theme this time around. Watch for ďŹ‚oats, marching groups and the Freeman Beach Lawn Mower Precision Drill Team, a perennial favourite.
6WD\DW&RDVW DQGVWD\ ZLWKIULHQGV
Drop By Our Visitor Centre
2XUÂś*RRG1HLJKERXUÂˇ UDWHVDUHQRZDYDLODEOH WRUHVLGHQWVRI'HOWD 9DQFRXYHU,VODQG DQGWKH*XOI,VODQGV
Weâ€™re here to help you get the best out of your stay in Delta and British Columbia. Trained, certified and friendly counselors, offer advice, information and services so you can enjoy our many urban and outdoor activities and holiday getaways. Deltaâ€™s official Visitor Centre.
7KLVVSHFLDOUDWHLQFOXGHV\RXU VWD\LQDIXOO\HTXLSSHGVXLWH DVZHOODV\RXUFRQWLQHQWDO EUHDNIDVWLQWKHPRUQLQJ $QGZHÂˇUHSHWIULHQGO\ VRQRPHPEHU RIWKHIDPLO\ QHHGVWRVWD\EHKLQG %RRN\RXUVXLWHWRGD\
5/13/11 11:59:12 AM
MEDITERRANEAN & WEST COAST CUISINE
44. South Beach House - A Point Roberts favourite, this restaurant allows diners to sit on the lawn, bordered by a beautiful ﬂower garden, and overlook the ocean where there’s a chance of seeing a pod of killer whales and, at the very least, sailboats go by. 45. Kiniski’s Reef Tavern - An institution in Point Roberts, Kiniski’s is right on the ocean and its patio is the best place for watching a sunset. The casual atmosphere is complemented by the best barbecue burgers and a wide selection of draft beers.
For your Dining Pleasure HOURS: Open Monday - Friday for LUNCH Every Nite for DINNER (except holidays) PATIO OPEN
Call 940-0200 for Reservations 6165 Highway #17, at 60th Avenue, Delta www.theprimerose.com
The Luxury is on the Plate
Saving on Golf
9 h les
Valid Monday - Friday with coupon • expires May 31,2011
Food at the Pub after the Game
Cove Links Golf
Captain's Cove Pub
Best Clam Chowder, Best Restaurant Ambience, in a Row! Best Fine Dining and Best Seafood Restaurant 10 years in a Row!
6100 Ferry Road, Delta
6000 Admiral Blvd., Delta
43. Maple Beach - Located on the east side of Point Roberts at the end of Roosevelt Way, it’s immediately south of Tsawwassen’s Centennial Beach. At low tide the sand bar stretches out a mile, allowing for sandcastle building, skimboarding and many other activities. When the tide comes in, the warm water is great for swimming.
It also offers fantastic views of Mount Baker.
42. Lighthouse Park - This Point Roberts park has become known as one of the best places to view killer whales from land. Park visitors also relax by the beach, picnic in the shade of boardwalk shelters, go ﬁshing, dig clams or stay in the campground.
GOLF CENTRE Rob Cordero
C.P.G.A. Head Professional.
Come check out our new menu
Children’s Summer Golf Camps - $175/week 2nd Child is $150/week
Dinner from 5:30 pm 000000000
starting Mondays July 4, 11, and 25 and August 8 and 15
For reservations please call (604) 271-5252 Reserve online at: www.StevestonSeafoodHouse.com
10646 64th Avenue Delta, B.C. V4E 1C1
5/13/11 11:58:01 AM
River Run Cottages in Ladner
10% OFF YOUR STAY WITH THIS AD In Ladner - Gateway to Vancouver and the Island Romance and Relaxation is our Specialty
4551 River Road West, Ladner, BC V4K 1R9
604-946-7778 www.riverruncottages.com • email@example.com
Gateway to Vancouver & the Island
46. Lily Point - Located at the southeast corner of Point Roberts, Lily Point sits at the intersection of Boundary Bay and Georgia Strait. The Whatcom Land Trust recently acquired this ecologically sensitive and diverse property that’s a great place to see abundant wildlife such as bald eagles and great blue herons.
ber of meandering walking trails. Find them by taking the dike from either the bottom of 12th Avenue or Centennial Beach.
Parks and Beaches
48. Centennial Beach - In Boundary Bay Regional Park, the sandy beach offers access to the warm waters of Boundary Bay. The park also has picnic facilities, playground, ball diamonds, a concession stand and nature trails.
47. Boundary Bay Regional Park - The park is a hub of ornithological activity, particularly in spring. Take a quiet walk on the dike or kick off your shoes and skip along the sandy beach shoreline. The park also boasts a num-
49. Deas Island Regional Park - On the banks of the Fraser River in Ladner, the park has a number of picturesque walking trails and picnic spots. Rowers and waterskiers use the calm waters of Deas Slough.
SURREY • DELTA • LADNER • TSAWWASSEN Courteous & Professional Service for 38 Years
Walk, bike, blade, quadra-cycle, take the train or ride the bus!
(YVR • ABBOTSFORD • BOUNDARY BAY • BELLINGHAM • SEATAC)
FERRIES • CRUISES LUXURY CARS & VANS
DIV OF TSAWWASSEN TAXI LTD. 604.594.1111
Discover over 500 different animals on 120 acres. . . within the beautiful Fraser Valley.
• SURREY • DELTA • ANNACIS ISLAND
• LADNER • TSAWWASSEN • TILBURY
Large picnic area & playground for the kids too!
5048-264th Street, Aldergrove
Open 365 days of the year
Birthdays, Night in the Wild (sleepover), picnics & more!
(exit #73 off Hwy 1)
604.856.6825 MAY 2011
5/13/11 11:56:01 AM
Reservations 604-946-7545 www.riverhousegroup.com
50. Kinsmen Water Park - Located in Ladner’s Memorial Park, the water spray area gets kids soaked in a variety of ways. It’s open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily, from Victoria Day in May until Labour Day. 51. Tsawwassen and Ladner skate parks - Skateboarders can hone their skills at these local venues. The Tsawwassen Skate Park is adjacent to the South Delta Recreation Centre while the brand new Ladner park is next to the Delta Sport Development Centre. 52. Fred Gingell Park - Located in the 200-block of English Bluff Road, this park named after the late Delta
South MLA provides outstanding views of the Strait of Georgia, Gulf Islands, ferry terminal and superport. Stairs take you to Tsawwassen Beach below. 53. Diefenbaker Park - Just north of the Point Roberts border crossing at the corner of 56th Street and 1st Avenue in Tsawwassen, the park, a former gravel pit, has extensive landscaping, walkways, a manmade waterfall and pond, picnic area and two playgrounds. A water playground, a joint project between Delta and the Rotary Club of Tsawwassen, is scheduled to open this summer.
Waterfront Dining at its Best Watch the eagles soar - with fabulous sunsets spectacular views - incredible food - excellent service. • 2 large heated patios overlooking the Marina • West Coast dining in the restaurant featuring Wild Pacific Salmon, Steaks & Tapas MenuMenu available after 3pm Wild Pacific Salmon, BlackAAA Angus Steaks & Tapas available after 3 pm • Best Pub & Patio in Delta serving the finest food, coldest beer, wine, martinis & fantastic cocktails! • 140 slip Marina with concrete floats, individual hydro & water, some guest moorage.
5825 - 60th Avenue, Delta, B.C. Just 10 minutes from Tsawwassen
Ladner Harbour Centre Elliott & Bridge Street in Ladner
❆ Bank of Montreal ❆ Bosley’s Pet Foods ❆ Budget Foods ❆ Café de Gourmet ❆ Curves Gym ❆ Delta AllSports ❆ Evolution’s Hair ❆ Expert Hearing ❆ Eyevision Optical ❆ Grapes 4 U ❆ Harbour Barber ❆ Harold Karro, Accountant ❆ Liberty Tax ❆ Lordco Parts ❆ L & V Nails ❆ Pharmasave ❆ Sara’s Ice Cream ❆ Speed’s Liquor Store ❆ Sure Copy ❆ Videoland MAY 2011
5/13/11 1:59:55 PM
55. Ladner Harbour Park - Accessible via a one-lane bridge off River Road just east of Ladner Village, the park attracts many visitors with its large picnic area, trails, new play equipment and a view of the working harbour. 56. Paterson Park - The entrance to Ladner is the site of a now-closed, century-old harness racetrack. The hub
Come and enjoy free tastings! Open everyday 10 am - 6:30pm
of racing activity until the 1960s, the half-mile track is now frequented by those of the two-legged variety out for a walk or jog. 57. Hawthorne Park - Resurfaced and lighted tennis courts make this central Ladner park a hit with the ball and racquet set and home to the Ladner Tennis Club. The park’s ball diamonds, sports ﬁelds and playgrounds keep it busy year-round. 58. Ladner Lions Park - An extensive playground, picnic tables, grassy areas and Chilukthan Slough make this park in the heart of Ladner a hit with the younger set.
t Winery s e g ig B e Th ancouver V o r t e M In
An annual salmon barbecue is just one of the activities held at Ladner Harbour Park. 59. McKitrick Park - Surrounding the Sungod Recreation Centre in North Delta, the park has a running trail pathway, picnic tables and is home to McKitrick Garden. The garden is a charming
oasis of plantings ringed by several pathways. Gardeners will enjoy picking up ideas for shade loving and drought resistant plants as well as possible conﬁgurations for their own gardens. 05208259
54. Beach Grove Park - Adjacent to Beach Grove Elementary, the park boasts tennis courts, a playground and trails. It’s also near the Boundary Bay dike, making it a favourite spot to begin a walk.
Lulu Island Winery produces many quality wines including red and white table wines, fruit wines, and Canada’s famous Icewines. All of Lulu Island’s quality wines are produced on site, bringing in the best grapes from the Okanagan, and the best berries from the Frasr Valley.
16880 Westminster Hwy. Richmond, B.C., Canada, V6V 1A8 Tel: 604-232-9839 Fax: 604-232-9836 firstname.lastname@example.org
5/13/11 2:26:21 PM
60. Watershed Park - Watershed Park is Delta’s largest parcel of park reserve. The 153-hectare (375-acre) forested park reserve is dominated by a second growth coniferous forest and is situated on a large artesian water supply. Eleven kilometres of trails wind their way through the park for cycling, walking, jogging, horseback riding and nature appreciation.
Boating 61. Ferry Road boat launch - Public boat launching facilities for the Fraser River are available adjacent to Captain’s Cove Marina at the northern end of Ferry Road.
tered waters and pleasant climate provide year round enjoyment for adventurers. 64. Waterskiing/rowing in Deas Slough - A popular spot for rowers and wake boarders, the slough is located just north of Ladner. The Delta Deas Rowing Club is also active in the area.
Windsurfers take advantage of local waters. 62. Wellington Point Park -The park offers magniﬁcent vistas along the south arm of the Fraser River. Located in the 3600-block of River Road West, its pier provides opportunities for anglers, while its boat launch allows access
to the river. 63. Kaymaran Adventure Tours offers kayaking and a variety of other eco tourism activities in the beautiful marshes and estuaries of the lower Fraser River. The shel-
65. Windsurfing & kiteboarding - It doesn’t matter the time of year, as long as the wind is blowing, you’ll ﬁnd windsurfers and kiteboarders taking advantage of local waters. The most popular spots are in Tsawwassen: Centennial Beach on the east side and Tsawwassen Beach on the west side.
Bakery Bank Cigars Clothing Coffee Shop Dentist Dry Cleaners Flowers Giftware Groceries Housewares Hair Salon Insurance Liquor Store Optometrist Restaurants Shoes Vacuum Sales
5/13/11 12:06:31 PM
66. Burns Bog - It’s 10 times the size of Vancouver’s Stanley Park and a true haven for wildlife. One of Delta’s ecological treasures, Burns Bog offers a unique and fascinating environment. Situated between the Fraser River and Boundary Bay, it occupies 10,000 acres. The only public access to Burns Bog is via the Delta Nature Reserve just east of Highway 91, near the Great Paciﬁc Forum-Planet Ice. 67. George C. Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary - The 850-acre sanctuary is located 10 kilometres west of Ladner
on Westham Island. Managed by the B.C. Waterfowl Society, over 280 species have been sighted at the marshland reserve. A yearly highlight is the arrival in November of Wrangel Island snow geese. 68. Boundary Bay dike - All dikes, particularly along Boundary Bay at the foot of 64th and 72nd streets on the edge of the municipality’s sprawling farm ﬁelds, are great places to view eagles, hawks and owls. They also provide great walking and biking trails. 69. Boundary Bay Earthwise Garden and farm store - Located at the corner of Boundary Bay Road and 3rd
Avenue in Tsawwassen, the one-acre garden promotes environmental awareness through public education and community involvement. Tours, workshops, allotment plots, events and volunteer programs are offered through the garden. It is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily for self-guided tours. A farm store offers a wide selection of the freshest seasonal produce. 70. Millennium Trail Opened a decade ago and extended more recently, the trail connects the Captain’s Cove area of Ladner with Deas Island Regional Park. It’s a favourite with walkers, joggers, cyclists and bird
CELTIC TREASURE CHEST WE CARRY A FULL LINE OF ENGLISH, SCOTTISH & IRISH GROCERIES IMPORTED DIRECTLY FROM
Britain Britain English, Irish, Scottish & Welsh Teas: Barry’s, PG
Black Pudding, White Pudding, Haggis, British Style Bacons & Sausages, Meat Pies, Scotch Pies, Pork Pies, Scotch Eggs, Irish Cheeses, Black Top Scottish Bread Galaxy, Cadbury’s, Fry’s, Neilson’s Thornton’s, Treats, Sweets, Candies and Chocolates. Health & Beauty: Camay, Dove,
Pears, Fairy, Persil, Comfort, Tips, Bewley’s, London Cuppa, Radox, Andrew Salts, Potters Malt, Taylor’s of Harrogate, Marks Zoflora, TCP, Germolene & Spencer, Scottish Blend, Imperial Leather Glengettie, Ty-Phoo, Edinburgh
Cyclists enjoy a ride on the Boundary Bay dike trails. watchers. 71. U-pick berries - Several Delta farms open their ﬁelds to the public in late spring and summer, allowing access to the freshest and tastiest berries around. Strawberries are the most common crop, but you’ll also ﬁnd raspberries, blueberries, boysenberries and currants.
#14, 7550 RIVER ROAD “TILBURY INDUSTRIAL PARK”
DELTA, B.C (604) 940-5366
HOURS: TUES. - SAT. 10:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M. CLOSED: SUN. MON. & STAT. HOLIDAYS
15557 MARINE DRIVE “ON THE WATERFRONT AT AT EAST BEACH”
WHITE ROCK, B.C. (604) 538-2277
HOURS: TUES. - SUN. 11:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. CLOSED: MON. & STAT. HOLIDAYS
5639 DUNBAR ST. “41ST. AVENUE & DUNBAR” DUNBAR”
VANCOUVER, B.C (604) 261-3688
HOURS: TUES - SAT. 9:00 A.M. TILL 5:00 P.M. CLOSED: SUN. MON. & STAT. HOLIDAYS
Natural Areas & Farms
5/13/11 12:05:19 PM
72. Emma Lea Farms ice cream stand - After picking your fruit stop by Emma Leaâ€™s ice cream stand for a cool and tasty treat. Ice cream, cones, sundaes and milk shakes are on the menu.
can be found on the grass and in the bushes surrounding the complex.
73. Pumpkin patches - Those orange orbs are a common sight in local farm ďŹ elds as summer gives way to fall. Most pumpkins are harvested and sold in bulk, but there are a few farms that welcome the public with Upick patches.
Some local farms welcome the public with U-pick pumpkin patches.
74. Ladner Leisure Centre bunnies - Shhh, theyâ€™re not supposed to be there, and youâ€™re told not to feed them, but somehow rabbits con-
tinue to make the grounds of the leisure centre and adjacent parts of the civic precinct their home. Dozens and dozens of furry creatures
â€˘ CDs â€˘ DVDs â€˘ Records â€˘ Posters â€˘ T-Shirts â€˘ Memorabilia
When the unexpected happens BCAAâ€™s roadside assistance ďŹ‚eet is behind you. Take peace-of-mind with you knowing youâ€™re protected with home, auto and life insurance. Plus, Members enjoy discounts on our insurance products and savings partners worldwide.
Insurance is sold through BCAA Insurance Agency and is underwritten by various underwriters. Visit bcaa.com/underwriters for more information.
Call 310-2345 or visit your nearest BCAA location: t3JDINPOE-BOTEPXOF$FOUSF /P3PBE t%FMUB4DPUU$FOUSF UI4USFFU $MJDLPOXXXCDBBDPN
12240 2nd Ave. 604.204.0044 www.beatmerchant.com
77. Boundary Bay Airport - Thanks to a number of ďŹ‚ight schools on site, Boundary Bay is the ďŹ fth busiest airport in Canada. Built as a training centre during the Second World War, the East Ladner airport is now home to many corporate and private aircraft and boasts a new terminal with restaurant.
Itâ€™s smart to be a BCAA Member.
The Cool Record Store
at Bayview in Steveston Village, Richmond
75. Tsawwassen ferry terminal - B.C. Ferriesâ€™ Tsawwassen terminal is the main port of entry for trafďŹ c to Vancouver Island. The terminal is situated at the end of Highway 17 at the western edge of Tsawwassen. It is also the only access point from the mainland to the Gulf Islands. The majority of sailings out of Tsawwassen are to Swartz Bay outside Victoria. There are also numerous sailings to Nanaimo on central Vancouver Island via the Mid-Island Express.
76. Ladner Harbour - Located at the end of McNeeleyâ€™s Way, itâ€™s approximately one kilometre west of Ladner Harbour Park. Moorage and electrical services are available for pleasure crafts on a permanent or temporary basis.
5/13/11 1:09:58 PM
78. Delta Visitor Centre - Operated by the Delta Chamber of Commerce, the centre’s certified tourism counsellors provide a helpful hand to visitors year-round. They dispense valuable advice on stays in Delta, Greater Vancouver, Whistler, Vancouver Island and other B.C. destinations. The centre is located near the junction of highways 17 and 99 in Ladner. 79. Westham Island Bridge - The oldest swing bridge still operating in B.C. celebrated a century of service in 2010. The single-lane truss bridge over Canoe Pass, which connects Westham Island to the mainland, officially opened
81. Town Centre Mall - Over 45 shops and services are housed in South Delta’s only indoor mall. The mall plays host to many seasonal events and is also home to Rotary Square. 82. Bayside Village - Anchored by the 46,000-squarefoot Safeway store, the largest retailer in Tsawwassen, Bayside Village features unique gift shops, restaurants and even a spa. The Town Centre Mall has over 45 shops and services. on March 29, 1910.
Shopping 80. Ladner Village - Despite the recent growth, Ladner
retains its village atmosphere with a quaint commercial core that boasts many unique stores and restaurants.
83. Tsawwassen Shopping Centre - Hungry? There are a number of dining establishments, including a deli, café, sub sandwich shop and Chinese and sushi restaurants, to grab a bite.
The Best Little Thrift Shop in Ladner!!
Delta Hospital Auxiliary Thrift Shop We’re also open every Ladner Village Market Sunday from 11 am to 3 pm And visit our website at www.deltahospitalauxiliary.org
to ﬁnd out more about our very popular Collectable Wednesday & new Designer Sunday sale dates!!
Shop Hours: Mon. 1:00 - 4:30; Tues. thru Sat. 10:00 - 3:00
4816 Delta Street, Ladner • 604-946-1455
5/13/11 1:08:41 PM
Y L L A TOT OME rich
84. Thrift Shops - The bargains are so good you can find shoppers lining up before the doors open at the Delta Hospital Auxiliary Thrift Shop on Ladner’s Delta Street and at the Hospice Cottage Thrift Shop on Tsawwassen’s 56th Street. 85. Trenant Park Square Anchored by Safeway and an enlarged London Drugs, this Ladner Trunk Road strip mall boasts many chain stores as well as local shops and services. 86. Ladner Centre - Across the street from Trenant Park, this outdoor mall features Save-On-Foods, a government liquor store and many
m o c . s t r a k mondgo
S E W A
Y L I FAM
N U F
Bargains can be had at local thrift stores. other retail outlets. 87. Ladner Harbour Centre - At the corner of Elliott and Bridge streets, the outdoor mall is anchored by Budget Foods. It’s also home to a drug store, ice cream shop, liquor store and more.
REIFEL MIGRATORY BIRD SANCTUARY • Open Daily 9am-4pm • 7 kms of Trails • Gift Shop/Picnic Area
5191 Robertson Rd., 604-946-6980 ~ Westham Island, Ladner
Watch Batteries • On Site Goldsmith & Watch Maker
Some of the jewelry displayed is protected by U.S. Patent No. 7,007,507 • © • All rights reserved • PANDORA.NET
604-278-6184 6631 Sidaway Road, Richmond B.C. MAY 2011
4817 F Delta Street • 604.946.1057 Right next to Ladner Village Hardware the big Yellow Building.
Open Market Sundays
5/13/11 1:13:45 PM
er R iv
3 62b St.
24 30 31 Burns Bog
59 60 66
18 91 Port 62 Guichon
Ladner Trunk Rd.
71 73 41b St.
Boundary Bay Airport
Deltaport Way 28 Ave. Ts a s wa w 56 st.
Drive N sen
5/13/11 2:23:34 PM
Rd . ste rA ve .
W es tm in
Ri ve r
48b Ave. 48a Ave.
Ce nt ra l
Rd . Ri ve r
Mountain View Blvd.
ish Bluff R oad
Dr. ards Edw
ay ial Parkw Centenn
10 53 4
8 82 Bo
17 98 12 Ave. 81 83 89 95 26 92 Beach Grove 47
Beach 42 Grove
Point Roberts Airpark
Tsawwassen Beach 65
27 22 88 35 Tsawwassen 101 Springs Golf Course
Maple Beach Boundary Bay Rd.
hur Drive Ar t
ie Rd . 62 St.
Ladner Trunk Rd.
St. ia org
t. tS iot Ell
13 76 63 97 99 58 29 87 9 2 48 Ave. 90 91 94 96 84100 50 32 47a Ave. 11 12 31 Ge
er R Riv
57 57 St.
5/13/11 2:23:07 PM
90. The Upstart Crow - An eclectic art store in the heart of Ladner Village, its products range from pottery, gorgeous silver and gemstone jewelry,
91. Dragonfly Gallery - The Ladner gallery is billed as “the home of treasures you never thought you needed until the instant you saw them.” It features furniture, collectibles, art and more.
Arts 92. Tsawwassen Arts Centre - Plays, art exhibits, painting sales and other performances are hosted at this facility. The Sidekick Players Club, a long-running local theatre group, recently moved into
The South Delta Artists’ Guild, which marked its 35th anniversary last fall, stages exhibits at the Kiwanis Longhouse. the centre. 93. Kiwanis Longhouse for the Visual Arts - Also sometimes referred to as the Tsawwassen Longhouse
Gallery, this facility is home to the South Delta Artists’ Guild. The non-proﬁt group holds monthly exhibits and offers workshops and drop-in sessions.
89. Unforgettable Gifts - About seventy ﬁve per cent of a huge selection of merchandise this Tsawwassen gift shop offers is Canadianmade.
organic lotions, soy-based candles and more. Classes and workshops are held in a studio at the back of the store.
051110 05 0 51
88. TFN artisans - QwayAathia Grann’s Native Art Gallery is located in Tsawwassen. Carvings, gold and silver jewelry, clothing, pottery, baskets, blankets, moccasins, beadwork, original paintings and limited edition prints can be found at this longhouse gallery.
5/13/11 3:00:24 PM
94. Art in the Village - Held in the summer every other Saturday along 48th Avenue in Ladner Village, this event has artists working out in the open and free to chat with passersby. Dates for 2011 include: June 18, July 2 and 16 and Aug. 6 and 20.
chef Bruno Marti opened this French restaurant in a heritage home on Ladner’s 48th Avenue 30 years ago. Despite being off the beaten path, it’s become one of the top restaurants in the Lower Mainland as evidenced by recent awards.
95. KinVillage - Home to KinVillage Café and a clothing boutique, this Tsawwassen seniors centre hosts events like monthly social dances, an annual Polynesia/Pacific Rim festival and movie nights.
97. Beers on the Patio - There’s not much better on a sunny day than hoisting a cold one on a picturesque patio. Ladner offers several riverfront options, including Speed’s Pub, the RiverHouse Restaurant and Pub, the Primerose Restaurant, Captain’s Cove Marina and Pub, and Sharkey’s Seafood Bar and Grille.
Dining 96. La Belle Auberge - Internationally renowned
“If you love BC why wouldn’t you want to see it from the air?”
Delta’s First Winery specializing in Fruit Wines. Winery is open 7 days per week from 11am to 4:30pm however please check our website for updated hours www.westhamislandwinery.com Upick and ready berries also available from mid June to mid August at Bissett Farms at the same location. 2170 Westham Island Rd., Delta BC, V4K 3N2 | 604.940.9755
SKYHAWK RESTAURANT WELCOMES YOU! Watch the airplanes taking off and landing!
At Sea Land Air we remember
flying should be
Westham Island Estate Winery
FOOD &ILY DRINK
Visit Beautiful B.C. this summer... enjoy the scenery, get some mountain experience or ﬂy for the sheer fun of it!
NOW OPEN FOR DINNER • Fully Licensed Lounge • Full Size Restaurant • Roomy Outdoor Patio • Ample Free Parking • Great Views Overlooking Tarmac & Boundary Bay • Cappucino, Lattes & Coffee • Daily food & drink specials
“Learn to ﬂy in our efﬁcient and modern aeroplanes, see superb views, and visit spectacular places”
778-434-1238 7800 Alpha Way, Delta Boundary Bay Airport Terminal www.skyhawkrestaurant.com
Reservations available 05208249
Sea Land Air • Boundary Bay Airport 604.940.6811 • email@example.com
Serving breakfast, lunch & dinner 8am-10pm Seven days a week
5/13/11 2:24:52 PM
98. Petraâ€™s Arts Kafe - This popular local coffee shop in the Tsawwassen Shopping Centre has the added twist of painting your own ceramics. Its wide selection of ceramics allows visitors to create their own souvenirs.
100. River Run Cottages
101. Parkcanada RV Park - Just minutes from the ferry terminal in Tsawwassen, the park-like setting caters to a wide range of visitors. It can accommodate everything from a tent to a large motorhome. Sites come with full hook-ups, water and electricity, electrical only as well as fully grassed tent sites.
99. Royal Canadian Legion branches - Ladner and Tsawwassen each have branches of the Royal Canadian Legion. They host various musical acts, meat draws and special events. More information is available online at www.rcl61. com and www.tsawwassenlegion.com.
- This unique River Road West B&B features one floating cottage and three waterfront cottages. They have private garden decks with mountain views, wood-burning stoves and soaker tubs. Other features include free use of bikes, kayak and a gourmet breakfast delivered to your cottage.
Family Fun & Fitness!
8170-120 St., Surrey
Wave Pool with Interactive Water Play Features 2 exciting Water Slides 50 Metre Pool 1 & 3 Metre Diving Boards, plus 5 Metre Tower 2 Large Whirl Pools Sauna & Steam Rooms Large Fitness Centre with Cardio & Strength Equipment plus Free Weights Concession Services Swim & Fitness Shop
Monday-Saturday 6 am - 10 pm Sunday 10am - 10 pm Statutory Holidays 10:30 am - 8:30 pm
14300 Entertainment Blvd. Richmond, BC Canada
TEL: 604-448-5353 22
Visit our website for schedule details and virtual tour of the facility:
(Hwy. 99 - Exit 32 - Steveston Hwy. East)
5/13/11 12:01:53 PM
',11(5 ,6 6(59(' Come back for breakfast and lunch at
5239 LADNER TRUNK RD 604.940.0833
OTTER CO-OP GAS BAR GAS BAR
with Convenience Store & Car Wash • Diesel • Gasoline • Propane • Car Wash Features: Wand Wash (2 Bays) & Touchless Car Wash (1 Bay) Become an Otter Co-Op member and receive a FREE CAR WASH
It pays to belong! 6420 Ladner Trunk Road • 604-940-1322 • www.otter-coop.com • Hours: 5am-11pm Monday-Friday • 6am-11pm Saturday, Sunday & Holidays
Ladner Service with a Smile! • Great Career Opportunities Gas Bar
5/13/11 9:41:01 AM
shopping madesimple! ✔ Fashions & Accessories ✔ Jewellery ✔ Hair Salon & Barber Shop ✔ Gifts & Home Décor ✔ Restaurants & Food Court ✔ Cell Phones & Photography ✔ Eye Wear & Optician ✔ Pharmacy & Dental ✔
over 40 stores & services (Shop inside & enjoy the air-conditioning)
Interior Mall Shopping Hours: Monday-Wednesday & Saturday 10am to 6pm Thursday & Friday 10am to 9pm Sunday & Statutory Holidays 11am to 5pm Zellers, Save On Foods, and Liquor Store have their own shopping hours
Conveniently located at 72 Ave & 120th Street North Delta (Near Burns Bog)
w w w.scottsdalecentre.com
5/13/11 9:40:14 AM