Page 1



Edinburgh University Students’ Association The Potterrow 5/2 Bristo Square Edinburgh, EH8 9AL Tel: 0131 650 2656 Email: Web: EUSA is a Registered Scottish Charity (No. SCO15800)


LIFE OUTSIDE UNIVERSITY Accommodation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24 Societies and Sports . . . . . . . . . . . 26 Language Exchange . . . . . . . . . . . 28

Unions, Bars, Events . . . . . . . . . . . 05

Employment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28

Representation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 07

Volunteering . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29 Religion and Faith . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30

YOUR DEGREE Making the most of your Research Experience . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12 Making the most of your Taught Postgraduate Experience . . . . . . . 14 PG Code of Practice . . . . . . . . . . . . 15

ACADEMIC SUPPORT Academic Assistance . . . . . . . . . . 16 Fees & Funding . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16 Academic Process & Procedures . 17 Academic Services & Facilities . . . 20

SKILLS TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT Careers Service . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22 Research Training . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23

General Welfare . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 31 Student Parents . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 35

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS Immigration and Visas . . . . . . . . . 36 Employment & Work Placements . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 37 International Students & Public Funds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .37 International Office . . . . . . . . . . . . . 37 International Students Centre & Societies . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 38 Proofreading Scheme . . . . . . . . . . 38 Prepare for Success . . . . . . . . . . . .38

DIRECTORY Useful Contacts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40

Institute for Academic Development . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23 Languages for All . . . . . . . . . . . . . .23


WELCOME On behalf of Edinburgh University Students’ Association (EUSA), I want to warmly welcome you to Edinburgh. I have no doubt that whatever your course of study, you have made a great choice. Around a third of our students here are postgraduates, and EUSA is at the heart of the Edinburgh student community. It offers services, supports societies and empowers students to have a real say over life in Edinburgh and the policy of the University and Government. Enjoy our services, join some societies and use EUSA as a tool to make this university and this city a better place. I’m one of four sabbatical officers at EUSA who are who are elected to work full-time for students over the next year. So if you think you might want to get involved or you’ve got any questions about how EUSA works – during Freshers’ Week or anytime over the next year – give me a shout. My number’s 07720 396 098 or come and say hi if you see me around. Enjoy your time here and good luck with your degree. I look forward to meeting you.

Hugh Murdoch Student President, EUSA




YOUR STUDENTS’ ASSOCIATION Edinburgh University Students’ Association (EUSA) is your organisation. We are a democratic, representative body and every student is a member and we work to help you to get the best out of being a student. The Students’ Association runs your Union buildings, which contain several bars, retail and catering outlets, as well as offer over 240 societies and provide support services such as The Advice Place. We are also affiliated to the National Union of Students (NUS) and work to represent your interests at a local and national level. We campaign on issues that matter to students whether they’re academic, welfare or related to events or issues external to students and the University. Get involved in shaping EUSA activities! Come along to our council meetings which are open to all students, or even stand in the October by-elections for a representative position. Find out more about getting involved in the running of EUSA at uk/getinvolved.

UNION BARS, SHOPS AND CAFÉS With four great union buildings, there’s always somewhere to study, socialise or grab a bite to eat.

Potterrow Potterrow’s unique tree-filled dome houses two cafes, two shops, a bank, a club venue as well as EUSA’s offices, The Advice Place’s student support office and Connect, EUSA’s volunteering and society centre. The Dome Café serves fresh hot meals every lunchtime plus great coffee, sandwiches and irresistible cakes. You can also grab a take away coffee from Potter Coffee, our street-fronted takeaway coffee shop for when you’re in a hurry to get to lectures. Upstairs you’ll find The Venue, our huge club and music venue which hosts live acts and our weekly Saturday club night, The Big Cheese. Out front, Potter Shop offers a wide choice of great value products. You can buy all your stationery, branded clothing, gifts and University merchandise at student prices at EUSA shops based in Potterrow, Kings Buildings and Pollock Halls as well as online.

Teviot Row House Built over 120 years ago, Teviot House is the oldest purpose built student union building in the world. This imposing building is home to a number of comfortable bars and cafés, along with The Underground nightclub, a huge Debating Hall, an impressive formal Dining Room and many meeting rooms. Teviot’s most popular choice is The Library Bar,


which is an essential part of any student night out. Alternatively, The New Amphion, our classic café, wine bar and restaurant, found in the middle of Teviot is the perfect cocktail pitstop. For those in the know, The Loft Bar is a gem of a bar that’s tucked away at the top of one of Teviot’s turrets with its very own roof terrace. The Sports Bar has a great atmosphere and shows all major sporting events on its big screen. If alternative music is more your scene, then check out The Underground’s live music programme. For a more relaxed social atmosphere, Teviot Lounge offers comfortable sofas and regular acoustic live music and Jazz. For those looking for a quiet study corner with a constant supply of coffee, The Study has plenty of free access computers and a range of student visual arts exhibitions throughout the year.

The Pleasance Hosting one of the most famous venues in the Fringe, The Pleasance also offers a live performance venue, bar and societies centre for the rest of the year. The Pleasance includes society rooms and meeting spaces along with the main Pleasance Theatre and Cabaret Bar, which offers a full programme of live music, comedy and film throughout the year with great student discounts. The Pleasance Sessions, our brand new music festival launches this October, featuring stripped back sets from the best of the up and coming music scene. Keep an eye on for a full listing of all live shows.

KB (King’s Buildings) House KB Union is home to a shop, two bars and a café, including The Mayfield Bar and Blackford Lounge, both serving great food until 8pm on weekdays. Upstairs Pi in the Sky serves freshly prepared healthy



hot meals every day. The newly refurbished KB Gym includes badminton and squash courts and offers excellent value student memberships. The Advice Place also has a KB office, which is open from 11:00–14:00 Monday to Thursday during term time where you can drop in to ask for advice on anything and everything to do with university life. For more information on what they do visit www.eusa. Check out shuttlebus for details and times for the free shuttle bus service provided by the university to KB.

EUSA Shops In addition to the Dome Store and Potter Shop in Potterrow, EUSA runs the shops at Pollock Halls and KB House, with a wide range of products all at student prices and an online shop ( with exclusive Edinburgh University merchandise, including sweatshirts, bags and sportswear.

Other Outlets EUSA also runs very busy café outlets in the JCMB building at KB (The Magnet) and in Rainy Hall in New College.


REPRESENTATION & STUDENT ACTIVITIES EUSA represents all University of Edinburgh students to the University and to external bodies such as the local Council, Scottish and UK Parliaments and through the National Union of Students (NUS). Many things will affect your life while you are at University, and through EUSA you can improve your and your fellow students’ experience while you are here: from better feedback to longer Library opening hours, from getting the Council to enforce students’ rights in private accommodation, to university funding. Whatever you want to see improved, you should get involved with EUSA. That’s the only way that the Students’ Association can be sure we are representing you!

Stand to be a class rep Represent your classmates and make sure your course is the best it can be! Every Grad School has class, course or subject area reps giving you a chance to have your views heard and affect what happens in your school. Work with staff and students to improve teaching, learning and assessment and communication in your department. All class reps receiving training and recognition on their transcript, so this is a great chance to gain experience and meet people on your course. For more information on how to stand and what the role involves visit or ask at your school office.

Check out the Meadows it’s a great place to think, study, write, relax, play sports and even have a picnic – and its right next to the main campus.

Meet your Reps! You have four elected Sabbatical Officers who work full time to represent you – Hugh, Kirsty, Alex and Nadia. But you also have elected representation in your schools provided by your School Reps and reps who are elected to campaign on specific issues such as Academic or Welfare. You can find out who all your reps are on the EUSA website – or e-mail Feel free to pop them an e-mail, drop by the EUSA office in Potterrow or come find them at any of our council meetings. These reps are YOUR representatives. Tell them what you think and want. Make sure that when they represent you, they are doing and saying what you want them to!

Liberation & Action Groups These groups exist to campaign on issues affecting particular groups of students: LGBT, women, disabled students and those affected by mental health issues, black and ethnic minority students, Postgraduates, International and mature students. You can find out more about these groups at yourvoice

Stand for Election If you would be interested in getting more involved, campaigning on specific issues and representing your fellow students, you can stand for various positions in EUSA’s elections which are held twice a year in October and March. In October we have a range of positions available in our by-election, including roles specifically for Postgrads. Do take a look on our website to see


the range of positions available. For instance, putting yourself forward to become a PG Rep is a great way to get to know your School better and find out more about how EUSA works with the University. In March you can stand to be a Sabbatical Officer – 4 students elected to take a year out from their studies to work full time with EUSA representing students – or a number of other positions on the Councils, on the EUSA Trading Committee or as a EUSA Trustee. You can find full details of all of the positions on our website. Standing for these positions is a great way of meeting new people and developing skills which will be useful to you in your University life and beyond so do consider standing. Whether or not you stand for election remember to VOTE in the Elections!

Ask a question / Vote in a EUSA student referendum Throughout the academic year EUSA runs student referenda. Any student can submit a question and voting is open to all students in the University. To find out more visit the EUSA website. EUSA works for students on a range of academic and welfare issues as well as issues from outside university but which affect students. You can get involved by coming along to meetings to discuss problems and work together on solutions by planning campaigns on writing policy.

Join a society or take up a volunteering opportunity! Visit Connect in Potterrow, your centre for societies, volunteering and fundraising opportunities! The team at Connect are here to help you get the most out of student life by ‘connecting’ you with our hundreds of student societies, fantastic volunteering opportunities in the local community and with the incredible ESCA (Edinburgh Student Charities Appeal), who coordinate student fundraising. At Connect, we offer help and advice on running or joining a society, give you information about volunteering and talk you through your many options, or lend you fundraising equipment and support to help you raise money for your favourite charities. Drop in any time, Monday to Friday, 9.30am - 5pm or ‘like’ us on Facebook- just search for ‘ConnectPotterrow’.

THE ADVICE PLACE The Advice Place offers free and impartial advice to all students on a wide range of issues ranging from funding and money problems to academic issues. They offer general advice as well as specific advice for postgraduates. EUSA, Potterrow Tel: 0131 650 9225/ 0800 206 2341 Email: Text: 07537 402 004



EVENTS AND NIGHTLIFE Edinburgh has a rich and varied range of events to keep you entertained in your new home. The four buildings that make up your association host a selection of events that ensures that there’s something for everyone each week. WEEKLY EVENTS MONDAY


Jazz in the Lounge. Some of the city’s finest jazz musicians occupy the Lounge Bar in Teviot and play some incredible music whilst also encouraging new musicians to come along and join in. Some really great jams have taken place here, a definite must for jazz lovers and those new to the game. The Pleasance Pub Quiz is one of

Like to laugh? We have you covered. Grassroots Comedy takes place every Tuesday in Edinburgh’s home

the longest running and definitely one of the most exciting pub quizzes on the go. If you like explosions, car chases and gun fights this is the night for you. It’s also free (as are all our quizzes) and there are lovely prizes to be won!

comedy front:comedy A6



Page 1

Every Tuesday from 8pm Pleasance Cabaret Bar Entry only £1


of comedy, The Pleasance. Comics of all levels of experience take short 5-10 minute slots to give you quick fire funny treats, hopefully! Our very own High Priestess of Comedy, Cat Wade hosts all night, a treat in itself. If you prefer something a little more musical and want to show the world your mad skills with the guitar, banjo or spoons then head to Teviot where the weekly Open Mic can be your stage for the evening.

The KB Quiz takes you on a wonderful journey through the bigger questions in life – how many Wimbledon semi-finals did Tim Henman reach? Who knows? Who cares? You will care when it’s the fine line between winning and losing. Kick it with the KB Krew every Tuesday in Kings Building House.


THURSDAY Starting last year with huge success, The Pleasance hosts its very own literary showcase, Wordy Thursdays, with alternating weeks between poetry slams, Soapbox and workshops. Release your inner creative with like-minded people in a relaxed atmosphere. You can also head to the Teviot Underground to hear the Freshest new student bands each week. Organised with Untapped Talent, the Student Band Night, is easy to get involved in either if you want to play or just go along and take it in.

SATURDAY You don’t know cheese until you’ve seen and experienced The Big Cheese pumped full of students for Edinburgh’s biggest student night every week, once you come you’ll have the bug, we’ll be seeing you time and time again throughout your years in Edinburgh!

SUNDAY To round off your week come along and grab a seat (come early, this fills up quick) with your team and prepare for a challenge like no other, Teviot Pursuits. Some say he who knows all the answers in Teviot Pursuits must know too much, others say why does he know that? Every Sunday, the perfect end to the week in the Library Bar.



OTHER BIG EVENTS ALONG THE WAY CLUB TOGETHER Twice a semester Teviot Underground is home to big tunes. Last year’s guests included Kissy Sell Out, Jakwob, The Cut Up Boys and Scratch Perverts.

TEVIOT HOUSE OF HORRORS The BIGGEST Halloween event in Edinburgh. 1400 revellers dressed up as the entire building is transformed beyond recognition!

ST ANDREWS DAY CELEBRATIONS (NOVEMBER) AND BURNS NIGHT (JANUARY) Ceilidhs, Scottish food and music in Teviot with one of Scotlands premier bands. An absolute must for all new Scotland dwellers!

THE PLEASANCE SESSIONS New this year, 3 weeks of live music from the best up and coming bands in the UK. A unique festival in your union, live music the way it should be. We have loads of other events throughout the year. Check out our full programme of events on our website whatson.


YOUR DEGREE Whatever your School or programme of study, it is important to remember that postgraduate study offers a wonderful opportunity to develop your experience and enhance your critical and intellectual skills. There are various ways that you can achieve this. Your school may run seminars for postgraduates and staff, and have discussion groups (sometimes online) relevant to your interests. If there isn’t a discussion group, don’t be afraid to suggest one, as there are bound to be people in the same situation as you who want to exchange ideas. The University also runs a number of open seminars and lectures. These are advertised on noticeboards around the University, in the University Bulletin or on the University website, which is a valuable source of information on what is going on. Visit your School website for more information.

MAKING THE MOST OF THE RESEARCH EXPERIENCE Doing a PhD or research Masters is a major undertaking and the experience can vary greatly between disciplines. You should develop a working relationship with your supervisors which suits both of you. You should have two supervisors: they may be working as co-supervisors, or as a principal and assistant supervisor – make sure you understand what arrangements are in place for your supervision. If you have any problems with your supervision it’s best to resolve them at an early stage. If you are having problems, refer to the Code of Practice for Supervisors and Research Students, outlined on the next page or available online (www.



CoPSupervisorsResearchStudents.pdf), to see what you can reasonably expect. If you have any questions about this, feel free to get in contact with an Academic Advisor at The Advice Place. Make sure you use opportunities to give feedback on your experience, such as the national Postgraduate Research Experience Survey (PRES - www. postgraduatework). Try to complete this as honestly, but constructively, as possible as the University uses this feedback when considering changes.

THE CODE OF PRACTICE FOR SUPERVISORS AND RESEARCH STUDENTS As a student, you have the responsibility to monitor your supervisory experience and be proactive in maintaining a constructive relationship, just as your supervisor has a responsibility to monitor your progress, although naturally supervision will vary from person to person. The Code is fairly detailed; however the following have been highlighted by the Postgraduate Forum as some of the key areas: • Your supervisor has both a pastoral and an academic role. You should inform him/her of anything that you feel is affecting your work. • It is as much your responsibility to meet regularly with your supervisor as it is theirs. If your supervisor is going to be absent for more than six consecutive weeks, alternative arrangements for supervision should be made. • Define the topic of study early and realistically - work closely with your supervisor. • A programme of work should be agreed with your supervisor and amended as necessary throughout your period of study. • Keep copies of communications your supervisor sends you and copies of correspondence that you send to your supervisor. • Discuss with your supervisor the reasons for his/her recommendations in your first year report. • As you reach the end of your period of study, clarify with your supervisor how the writing up of the thesis will proceed and be aware of the regulations regarding submission.


• Make notes so you can remember key points from your meetings with your supervisors. • Learn a ‘dinner party’ version of your research topic so that you can easily explain to anyone what you are working on. • Check out the Institute for Academic Development skills and development programme at • Make use of peer groups, if available, or why not start one?


MAKING THE MOST OF THE TAUGHT POSTGRADUATE EXPERIENCE In taking a taught Masters programme, you may feel caught somewhere between undergraduates and PhD students. The key issue for many MSc students is that you are only here for one year. For this reason it’s important to raise any concerns as soon as possible to ensure that any difficulties can be addressed quickly. Your Programme Handbook should set out the dissertation requirements and what support you can expect during the process. The Code of Practice for Taught Postgraduate Programmes is also a useful guide and provides sensible advice about how to deal with issues that may arise. ( AcademicServices/Codes/CoPTaughtPGProgrammes. pdf) The short duration of many MSc courses mean that it is important to hit the ground running and you should be prepared for this when you arrive. Take the initiative to find out what is expected of you, and how the University can help you. If you feel that things are not going as they should, it is important to seek advice early, either from your Programme Director or The Advice Place. Bear in mind that decisions about whether or not to apply for further study such as a PhD need to be made at an early stage. If this is your plan, seek information as early as possible; you should find information about this on your School website.




• If you feel you’re losing your way, talk to someone – a tutor, classmate, or Academic Advisor • Get involved in an independent study group • Attend all recommended lectures, even if some of them may not seem relevant for you • Join a society or get involved with activities outside your programme so you have something fun to do when you need a break from study


THE CODE OF PRACTICE FOR TAUGHT POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES The Code of Practice for Taught Postgraduate Programmes sets out reasonable expectations and good practice which the University should provide for students (including things like resources, academic and pastoral support), what the University will expect from students (including using the Code), and guidance on university processes. • Read and apply the Code of Practice for Taught Postgraduate Programmes and keep it for future reference. This has details of all the processes of the University which you might need to use during your time here. • Your Programme Director has both a pastoral and academic role. You should inform him/her of anything which is affecting your work as soon as possible. • Check the facilities and support that you can normally expect to be provided on your course. If the facilities or support given are lacking, discuss this with your Programme Director.

Have an open discussion with your supervisors as soon as you start to establish how each person works and what each expects

REGULATIONS While the Codes of Practice are simply guidelines for staff and students on ‘good practice’, there are two sets of University regulations, which must be followed by students and schools within the University: Degree Regulations, which outline the mandatory framework for the administration and awarding of postgraduate degrees, are available online in the ‘Degree Regulations and Programme of Study’ (DRPS - academic-services/policies-regulations/codes ) Assessment Regulations, which detail the way in which your coursework, exams, and your degree as a whole, will be assessed ( regulations/assessment )


ACADEMIC ASSISTANCE If you have an academic problem, or a non-academic problem which is affecting your work, there are a number of places you can turn to for support.

ACADEMIC ADVICE A good place to start for any academic issues is in your School. In addition to your supervisors or Programme Director, your School may also have a Postgraduate Adviser. You can also consult the Head of the Graduate School (sometimes called the Postgraduate Director). The Advice Place staff are experienced in postgraduate matters and can help you examine the available options to deal with problems, whether they concern your progress, regulations or provision of facilities. You can contact the specialist Academic Advisers by emailing The Advice Place also deals with non-academic problems. Feel free to drop in and speak to an adviser; they can refer you on to relevant services for further help should you require it. The service is free, independent of the University and entirely confidential. For more information about services that can help with non-academic issues see the General Welfare section on page 31. You also have the right to have a student postgrad representative in your school who can contact EUSA’s Postgrad Convener or staff for support (postgrad@ This is an especially good route to take where issues are affecting a number of students on your programme.



FEES & FUNDING Finance Department Tel: 0131 650 9214 Email:

The regulations relating to payment of fees are set out in the Postgraduate Programme and at www.registry. Some programmes charge research costs in addition to course fees; these will depend on the course/subject area and should be clearly outlined in your admissions offer. There may be funding options available for your programme from a Research Council. If you are having financial difficulties at any point you can discuss this confidentially with The Advice Place.

Financial Assistance Discretionary Fund The University administers discretionary funds, provided by the Government, to help UK undergraduate and postgraduate students who are struggling with their living costs. The Common Bursaries Fund is for EU or International students, or students that fall into other categories and are not be eligible for a UK government award.


To check your eligibility and pick up an application form, pop into The Advice Place. The Advice Place also administers small loans for students in severe financial difficulty. Speak to an adviser for more information.

Educational and Charitable Trusts Students may apply to educational and charitable trusts for funding. Each has its own qualifying criteria for awards and they can be difficult to obtain. See for a list of private bursaries and trusts. The turn2us website ( is another place you can search for grants.

ACADEMIC PROCESSES AND PROCEDURES If you have any questions about the issues and procedures outlined in this section, feel free to contact an Academic Adviser at the Advice Place (

Plagiarism The University has produced guidelines on avoiding plagiarism for students, which also explain the University processes for dealing with cases of suspected plagiarism: StudentGuidanceUGPGT.pdf. Your School may also have more detailed guidelines on plagiarism, how to avoid it, and the

Remember that your supervisors/ Personal Tutors are there to support you. It’s their job to be “bothered” by you. And when the going gets tough, remember that your peers are probably going through the same things – so make sure you always have someone to talk to – supervisors, friends or even the GP or Counsellors. You need to be willing to find support to get support.

measures they have in place to detect plagiarism. Here are a couple of tips to help you avoid plagiarism in your work: • Make sure that you reference correctly. Consult your course/programme handbook, or speak to your supervisor/Programme Director if you are unsure about how to cite properly. • Always use quotation marks when quoting directly from a source (word for word). If you have any questions about plagiarism, speak to your supervisor or Programme Director in the first instance.

Intellectual Property Rights The University has a Code of Good Practice on Research and a specialised office – Edinburgh Research and Innovation – which can offer advice on general intellectual property issues, and also on the sensitive issue of protecting your rights in relation to any potential commercial interests in your research. Another good source of information online is the UK Intellectual Property Office. Edinburgh Research and Innovation: www. Intellectual Property Office:


Authorised interruption of study If you need to take a break during your programme due to illness or personal circumstances, you may apply for an interruption of studies. You will be expected to provide evidence with your application, and an interruption will not be granted in all cases. If you think you need to apply for an interruption, you should discuss this with your supervisor or Programme Director in the first instance who will then take your case forward.

Appeals It is possible to lodge an appeal against the results you get in a written exam, dissertation or thesis. You can only appeal on specific grounds, not simply because you disagree with the result. The Academic Advice team in The Advice Place can provide independent and confidential information and advice on the appeals procedure.

Complaints If you have a complaint about something related to your studies, or your experience of the University in general, you are encouraged to raise this informally with the person most relevant in the first instance. In the event that this does not resolve the issue, you may wish to make a formal complaint. The full procedure and accompanying guidance about making a formal complaint is available at Staff at The Advice Place can provide independent and confidential guidance on making a complaint.





Information Services run libraries and computer labs across the University. IS Helpdesks in the Main Library and in the Darwin Library cover both library and IT enquiries: Main Library IS Helpdesk: Tel: 0131 650 3409 KB Library IS Helpdesk: Tel: 0131 650 5784 Library Online: Computing Services website: schools-departments/information-services Check websites for opening times.

Computing Resources

Edinburgh University has some of the best computing facilities of any British university. There are a large number of computing labs all around the University with PCs, Macs and laser printers, see for locations and opening hours (several labs are open 24/7). Remote access to central services is available if you need to access files or electronic journals from outside the University (see connecting). Every postgraduate is allocated an email account



by the University. Research postgraduate email addresses are added to the staff email directory, accessible online at Taught postgraduate students are allocated a student email account which can be accessed via MyEd (

Computer Training If you need computer training, you can find out about the variety of courses that you have access to, alongside details of when and where they run, at by following the links to the web-based Student Helpdesk. There is a large amount of other information on this website, with a range of overviews and introductory guides. Documentation for more complex packages is available at reasonable cost. Information Services can also help individuals and departments buy software at reduced rates, For details of what is available, contact your support team or your nearest Information Services helpdesk. Staff can also give you advice if you want to buy your own hardware.

Libraries University Libraries The University now has nearly three million books, pamphlets, periodical volumes, manuscripts, Edinburgh University theses and maps. It receives over 11,000 current periodicals. The library system is spread out over a large number of libraries and sites that includes: • The Main Library at George Square (College of HSS, general and special collections) • The Noreen and Kenneth Murray Library at KB (College of Science & Engineering)


• Moray House Library (Education) • A selection of other subject-specific libraries including The Europa Library (Law), and New College Library (The Library for the School of Divinity). Each provides its own services including acquisition, lending and reference services. All can trace items not held by the University/local libraries, and borrow or photocopy them through inter-library loans. Opening times for all libraries are available on the library’s website ( They vary from site to site, and are different during vacation, so check the library you want is open before you go. The Main Library is open until 2.30am during Semester time and has a postgraduate study area on Floor 5. The Library’s central online catalogue can be consulted in each library, as well as via the University’s website. For more information on University Libraries, and on the resources, training and software available in them, explore Library Online (

Get yourself a membership to the National Library of Scotland. There are lots of materials which you will not be able to find in any of the university libraries, which may give your bibliography an edge!

Central Library George IV Bridge Tel: 0131 225 5584 Opening Times: 9.00am to 9.00pm Monday to Friday 9.00am to 1.00pm Saturdays Located across the road from the National Library of Scotland is the public borrowing library. It is free to join and a useful alternative to the University Library.

Scottish Record Office Historical Research Room, General Register House, Princes Street Tel: 0131 556 6585 Readers’ permits are issued on personal application, not by post, and require identification. Staff may answer postal enquires about the availability of sources for particular study topics. The website is useful and also provides access to local statistical and census information.

National Library of Scotland George IV Bridge and 33 Salisbury Place Tel: 0131 226 4531 The National Library of Scotland (NLS) is a copyright library which has copies of every written work published in Britain, as well as an extensive collection of rare books and manuscripts, along with a selection of reference works. Visit the website for full details of opening times and resources.


SKILLS TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT FOR POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS CAREERS SERVICE 3rd Floor, Main Library Tel: 0131 650 4670 Weir Building, King’s Buildings Tel: 0131 650 5773 In addition to a range of talks, and the advice and information available on the website, the Careers Service holds reference and takeaway material including books, DVDs and magazines to help you with all aspects of your job hunt. Careers Advisers are more than happy to provide feedback on your CV or application form. Bring it to a full guidance interview or to a drop-in session. You can also book a practice interview with a Careers Adviser and get some constructive feedback on your performance. The service is available for two years after graduating. For more information visit the website.



Student and Graduate Employment Whether you are looking for part-time work, permanent employment, summer internships, voluntary opportunitie, make sure you keep an eye on the vacancy database SAGE at sage. It advertises hundreds of jobs in a huge range of sectors including opportunities specifically for postgraduates, and the site is updated daily.

INSTITUTE FOR ACADEMIC DEVELOPMENT University of Edinburgh 7 Bristo Square

provides research and policy advice, a wide variety of workshops, seminars and conferences, often in association with schools and colleges. The IAD has a resource room with a collection of books, reports, papers and other materials relating to teaching and learning in higher education, available for consultation or loan.

Employability Research Skills and Training Postgraduate students today are expected to have a wide range of professional and research skills, to be adaptable, self-aware and, in the case of PhD students, able to write for publication. Graduates who have developed these skills can find themselves in high demand in academia, teaching, business and in the public or voluntary sectors. To help students acquire these important skills, the University provides transferable skills training courses. Much IAD research training is geared towards PhD candidates because taught MSc students will have in-house training within their Graduate Schools. However, research MSc students also have access to these programmes, and the range of courses available to MSc students directly is increasing. The IAD also provides information about a wide range of training opportunities for all postgraduates provided by other parts of the University. Most courses are free, and are repeated throughout the year. For a complete list of courses for each college, see the IAD website.

Study Support

Making the Most of Masters (MMM) provides an opportunity for taught postgraduate students to link their degree with their future career. MMM works with programme directors and employers to create opportunities for students to undertake their masters dissertation in collaboration with an employer as an optional alternative to the more traditional route. Such projects will be suitably in depth to fulfil the academic requirements for your programme, whilst also addressing a relevant, current issue for the employer. Please talk to your Programme Director to find out if your programme is involved in the scheme or find out more at

LIFELONG LEARNING Languages for All Courses are offered in a number of modern languages to both students and non-students. Courses are catered to ability and discounts are available for certain classes. New courses start several times a year and courses are offered through the summer. Visit languages/for-all for details.

The IAD promotes and supports all aspects of university teaching and learning. The Centre




There are various types of accommodation available in Edinburgh: University flats or halls, private flats, lodgings etc. The quality of city-centre accommodation is fairly high, and you should, therefore, expect to pay around £95 a week for a room in a shared flat. There is high demand for accommodation at the start of term and you should aim to arrive a few weeks early if you hope to start flat hunting at this time. For an estimate of a realistic weekly budget to cover living costs in Edinburgh and advice on managing your money contact The Advice Place. If you rent a property privately, you may be renting directly from a private landlord or from a letting agency. All landlords must legally be registered with the Council. The Landlord Accreditation Scotland Scheme promotes good standards in the private rental sector. Membership for landlords and letting agencies is voluntary. For advice on finding accommodation visit www. Some other places you can search for private rented accommodation are: • Edinburgh Evening News and The Scotsman



newspapers’ property pages • ESPC website: • Lettingweb: • Edinburgh Student Pad: www. Do be wary of scams. Do not, under any circumstances, send money to anyone for accommodation prior to viewing the accommodation, verifying the person is the actual landlord or letting agent, and seeing the tenancy agreement. The Advice Place provides advice and information on finding accommodation, your tenancy rights and responsibilities, and how to deal with any problems or issues that arise during your tenancy such as repairs, deposits, or eviction. Advisers can also check over tenancy agreements (also called leases or contracts) before you sign them.

Council Tax City of Edinburgh Council Tel: 0131 200 2000 Council Tax is a charge made by local authorities for each property within the area and is used to help pay for local services such as rubbish collection and emergency services. Full-time students in Scotland who are registered as such with their University are usually exempt from paying council tax but must inform the Council of their full-time student status in order to be granted this exemption. For information on how to apply for council tax exemption visit www.

POSTGRADUATE TIPS or pop into The Advice Place. In order to satisfy the “full-time” student criteria you must: • Be studying for at least 21 hours per week for at least 24 weeks of the year on a course that lasts at least a year. • Be within the prescribed period for your course (except for 4th year PhD students, who can still qualify). Full-time students registered at the University of Edinburgh (or another institution within the European Union) living in Edinburgh should either write to or email the Revenues and Benefits department at the City of Edinburgh Council including: the address of the property, the names of all the tenants, when you moved in, which institution you are studying at, your matriculation numbers, and the fact that you are a full-time student. Alternatively you can apply online at: students_council_tax_exemption. If you live outside of the City of Edinburgh Council area, ask the Registry for a ‘Certificate of Student Status’ and send it to your local council.

“I think it is really important that as PGs we get as ‘involved’ as we can, seize the opportunity to get involved with EUSA, societies, departmental meetings and even doing volunteering. It adds so much the learning experience and you get to expand your network!”

then you will receive a council tax bill. Only the nonstudents or part-time students will be liable for this bill. There is a 25% single persons discount applied to the bill if there is only one non-student, or part-time student, living in the property. There are special provisions for some international students living with their non-student dependants, who can still claim full exemption. Contact The Advice Place for details. If you get into difficulties, or require more information, contact The Advice Place for assistance. Bring any relevant correspondence with you.

Students who are not exempt If you are an overseas visiting student from outside of the EU, and are enrolled at the University for six months or less or a part time student, then you will not be exempt from council tax payment. As a result you will have to pay council tax unless you are living in halls of residence. If anyone in your house is not a full-time student,



We have over 240 societies here at Edinburgh, and being involved in one (or many!) is a great way to take a break from the books and get the most from the student experience. Read our Societies Guide for details of all our societies or you can visit You can join a society online at any point in the year, but a great time to check them out and speak to members of the societies and ask any questions is at the Societies Fair on Wednesday and Thursday of Freshers’ Week at the Pleasance.

Gyms and Sports Facilities Centre for Sports and Exercise (CSE) The sports complex offers an array of facilities including studio space (exercise and dance classes), ‘MyGym’ (body conditioning) and underground vaults (bench free weights) as well as a dedicated rowing gym and an indoor studio cycling space called ‘Velocity’. In addition, they have a 100-station CV gym with personal TV screens, body circuit gym, fixed weights gym, free weights gym, two sports halls, two dance studios, four squash courts and dedicated facilities for boxing, archery, rifle shooting, climbing and bouldering. The Centre offers exercise classes each week and a range of workshops. There is also a 25m six lane swimming pool just next door in the St. Leonard’s Land building, off Holyrood Road. Through CSE Edinburgh students also have access to the FASIC sports injury centre and Scotland’s National Hockey Academy at Peffermill, which has two Astroturf pitches, artificial tennis courts and cricket



nets, natural turf pitches and a golf practice area. Firbush, 80 miles north of Edinburgh, is the CSE’s residential centre for the outdoors. Situated on Loch Tay, it supports both summer water sports and extensive winter activities. Check out the website for more details, exercise classes and pool timetables and membership (

King’s Buildings House Gym KING’S BUILDINGS HOUSE, 46 Pleasance Tel: 0131 650 2585

EUSA offers a comprehensive range of sports and leisure facilities at King’s Buildings House. Facilities and services include the gym, squash/racketball courts, badminton, exercise and relaxation classes, and sports equipment sales and hire. You can also pop into the Mayfield Bar or Blackford Lounge for a well-earned, post-workout snack, meal or drink. Memberships for students starts at just £2.50 per month!

Sports Clubs Edinburgh University Sports Union (EUSU) is the student-run body responsible for all sports clubs at the University. Edinburgh is the number one sporting institution in Scotland and consistently ranks within the top 5 in the UK. With 63 sports clubs, we pride ourselves on the broad variety of sports on offer and many students have been successful in a sport they only discovered at university. From Ice Hockey to Skydiving, there really is something for everyone! To find out more about our sports clubs, please visit the Sports Fair on 11th and 12th September at the Centre for Sport and Exercise, and visit our website for all the latest sporting news (


Some societies attract members of all ages, whereas others seem to be undergraduate-oriented; don’t be discouraged if the first one you try out seems to be full of Freshers, there are societies for all ages. For example, TANDEM, which focuses on foreign language exchange, is a great one for postgraduates because people of all ages, nationalities and backgrounds get involved.


LANGUAGE EXCHANGE Tandem is a free language-exchange programme open to all students, run by EUSA that offers a wide range of events where students can meet and practice their language skills. Attend a Speeda Lingua event, find a partner online on the Tandem Database, or attend the weekly Language Café. See tandem for more information. There are also free beginners’ language classes in Japanese, French, Spanish, Russian, Brazilian, Portuguese, Gaelic and Arabic. Classes rotate each semester and places fill up fast so be sure to book as soon as possible!

EMPLOYMENT Part Time Jobs Students are advised to not work more than 15 hours a week during semester time and although money is necessary, it is important to remember why you are at university! Check out the University’s own job vacancy database SAGE on your MyEd page or go to www. for more information. You can also speak to a careers adviser who will help you with your job search. EUSA is also one of the largest employers of students in Edinburgh, visit to see adverts of what is currently available. New jobs come up throughout the semester so you might want to check this regularly. Jobs will also usually be advertised on SAGE.

Tutoring and Demonstrating Teaching can be a very valuable experience, particularly if you are hoping to pursue a career as an academic, as well as a way of developing transferable skills. It may be that you have a formal contract for teaching as part of your research post, which will set



out the number of hours you are required to teach, as well as arrangements for payment. There is also a framework to support you if you are asked to, or wish to, teach on a casual basis. The pay arrangements for tutors and demonstrators are included on the pay scales webpage, provided by the University’s Human Resources department (www. Tutoring will usually be paid at a higher rate than lab demonstrating to reflect the extra time for preparation; please see the Arrangements for Tutors and Demonstrators guide (available at the above link) for fuller details on pay and hours. If you are offered lower rates, contact EUSA’s Postgraduate Convenor (, so that we are aware of inconsistencies. The IAD provides training for all postgraduates involved in teaching, either at generic sessions, or for specific groups organised in conjunction with individual schools or subject areas. “Effective Tutoring” is one of the events aimed at postgraduates involved in teaching and demonstrating, intended to supplement what is offered at school or course level. Details of all the sessions are available at For those involved in lab demonstrating there are discipline-specific sessions at the start of term. Dates and times are available on the website. Your department should provide you with sufficient resources and information to teach well. This may include provision of course materials, photocopying, library access and secretarial support. If you are interested in teaching you should speak to your supervisor or Head of Graduate School/Postgraduate Director. Alternatively, ask postgraduates already in your school who are teaching. They can tell you who the course organisers are for different courses and who may need tutors/ demonstrators.

Summer Work/Internships Internships or placements are a great way of spending the summer, learning new skills, and meeting people in the industry. SAGE is continuously updated with the latest internships and graduate schemes for companies across the world.

VOLUNTEERING Want to meet new people, help your local community, build your CV and have fun at the same time? Then take a look at EUSA Volunteering. We have over 200 exciting opportunities on our website – volunteering. Volunteering can match your hobbies or your course, from working with conservation and the environment on a Scottish Cruise with the National Trust Scotland, teaching languages to children or even having the chance to go to Mexico for the Homeless World Cup. You may also be nominated for a Volunteer Star Award which recognises all the great work student volunteers do or log your hours throughout the year to receive the Edinburgh Award for Volunteering which appears on your degree transcript. Volunteering can be a great way to make the most of your time at University and by donating a few hours a week, you can help make a big difference in people’s lives. To discuss volunteering or if you have any other questions drop in to the Connect Office in Potterrow or email


RELIGION AND FAITH The University Chaplaincy, Bristo Square, provides pastoral and spiritual support for students and staff regardless of faith or beliefs. They have a Chaplaincy Support Team and private areas for meetings, reflection, one-to-one support and hospitality. www. There are contemplation rooms and prayer spaces at both the King’s Buildings Campus. Muslim prayer rooms are also available on both the King’s Buildings site and the Moray House site. New College has a contemplation room called “The Sanctuary” which is underneath the Library.



For more information about religious and faith societies run by students, see societies or go along to the Societies Fair during Freshers’ Week (Wednesday and Thursday at The Pleasance).

Places of worship around Edinburgh Visit religion for a full list of what religious services are available around Edinburgh for your faith.


Dentists and Opticians


Dentist Surgery

It is important that you register with a doctor, even if you already have one in the UK. Register with the University Health Centre If you live within the catchment area go to one of the registration sessions for the University Health Centre during Freshers’ Week or contact them to make an appointment on 0131 650 2777. Remember to take some photo ID. You will be asked to complete two forms and have a short medical assessment. The Health Centre operates on an appointment system but also has a drop in clinic every morning between 9am to 10am.

Other Health Centres If you aren’t eligible to register at the University Health Centre, visit to find your nearest local surgery. Should you wish to register, you will be required to complete paperwork and have a medical assessment. Knowing the details of your previous doctor is also useful but not essential.

Your nearest dental surgery can be located by contacting the City of Edinburgh Council’s Healthcare department on 0131 537 8424 or by consulting www. Try to register as an NHS patient as it is much cheaper than paying for private treatment. Please be aware, however, that there may be a waiting list.

Opticians If your optician at home was part of a chain, there is most likely to be a branch in Edinburgh. Otherwise, ask around for a recommendation. Eye tests are free in Scotland so there is no excuse for not having your eyes checked on a regular basis. Help with health-related costs, such as dental treatment and glasses or contact lenses, may be available if you are on a low income. Apply using a HC1 form, available from The Advice Place or most pharmacies.

Out of Hours If you need to speak with a Health Professional when your GP surgery is closed, NHS24 can be contacted on 08454 242424.

Prescriptions Prescriptions in Scotland are free of charge.



Giving Blood

Should you require hospital treatment, the following services are available:

With 1,000 donations needed every day to meet the needs of Scotland’s patients, giving blood is extremely worthwhile. Most people who are in general good health can donate and the process is extremely easy.

Accident and Emergency The Royal Infirmary 51 Little France Crescent, Old Dalkeith Road Tel: 0131 536 1000 The Royal Infirmary operates a 24-hour A&E department and is located in Little France. Western General Hospital Crewe Road South Tel: 0131 537 1000 The Western General hospital has a nurse-led Minor Injuries Clinic, open from 9am to 9pm every day of the year. Clinic staff treat a wide range of injuries including: minor cuts and burns, infections and stings, suspected sprains and small bone breaks. Chalmers Sexual Health Centre 2A Chalmers Street Edinburgh EH3 9ES 0131 536 1070 A first come first served drop-in clinic operates Monday to Friday from 8:30-10:00, all other clinics are by appointment.



You can donate at the Blood Donation Centre on Lauriston Place, just down the road from Bristo Square. Visit for further information.


Mental Health

One in four people will experience some mental health problem at some time in their life. Stress and anxiety is particularly prevalent amongst students, especially around exams and assessment time. However, by taking simple steps you can help to prevent feeling unreasonably anxious. Remember to: • Make time to socialise and take a break from studying. A good balance between working and relaxing is crucial for a good student experience. • Get some sleep. Being over-tired is strongly associated with stress and other mental health issues. • It is important to know where to turn to for help and advice. Keep in touch with old friends and family to let them know how you’re getting on at University. If you feel you need some extra support there are lots of organisations both on and off campus that you can contact.

Helpful Contacts On Campus The Advice Place Contact The Advice Place for more information and other sources of support for yourself or someone you know. Tel:0131 650 9225/ 0800 206 2341

I wish I knew earlier that the Advice Place was a one-stop shop that I could go to for most issues, from finance to counselling support, from making academic complaints to getting free condoms!

Email: Text: 07537 402004 Nightline Need to talk? Nightline is run by trained volunteers who offer an anonymous, confidential and sympathetic ear. They are available from 8pm to 8am daily. Tel: 0131 557 4444 email: Student Counselling Service You may find it helpful to consult a professional counsellor to support you in working through your difficulties. There are a wide range of self-help resources available on the Counselling Service’s website. The service is free to all University of Edinburgh students. Tel: 0131 650 4170 Student Disability Service Offers mental health mentoring and advice on how to combine university with mental health issues. Tel: 0131 650 6828 University Health Centre Provides appointments and emergency help contacts for students who feel they are experiencing a serious mental health issue. Tel: 0131 650 6828


The Chaplaincy Offers support and pastoral care for all students regardless of faith. Off-Campus B-eat Provides information, help and support for people affected by eating disorders. Tel: 0845 634 1414 Depression Alliance Scotland The ‘Look Ok, Feel Crap?’ campaign provides information and support as well as life skills courses. Tel: 0845 123 23 20 / 0131 467 3050 Email: Edspace Offers further information about other support services available in Edinburgh. National Self-Harm Network NSHN offers an anonymous, supportive and nonjudgmental support forum, as well as an email and telephone helpline. Tel: 0800 622 6000 7pm-11pm Thurs-Sat, 6.30pm – 10.30pm Sun. E-mail: NHS 24 Offers 24/7 medical information for emergencies and for general mental wellbeing. Tel: 0845 024 024



Sexual Health

Whether you are having no sex, lots of sex, are with many partners or just the one; your sex life and your sexual health is important to your wellbeing. Safer Sex It is important to protect yourself against sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and unwanted pregnancy. By always using a condom or femidom you will protect yourself against most STIs. Edinburgh operates a free condom service called the c:card scheme. To sign up for a c:card, pop into the Advice Place. You will need to provide your date of birth and the first part of your postcode. Once you have received your card, collect your free condoms/ femidoms /dental dams/lube from any c:card point across the city. Find out more about the scheme at

Emergency contraception If your contraception fails, you can get emergency contraception (also called the morning after pill) from your GP or a pharmacy, including the University Health Centre at 6 Bristo Square if you are registered with them. There is no charge when getting the morning after pill from a doctors but there will be a charge from a pharmacy, check with your local pharmacy for details. You can also get emergency contraception from the Chalmers Street Sexual Health Clinic. Note that you need to take the pill within 72 hours of having unprotected sex. However if you miss this window you can be prescribed emergency contraception that is effective up to 5 days after unprotected sex. So do still visit your GP.

Pregnancy Should you become pregnant during your studies, seek information, guidance and support to help you make the best possible decisions for you. Best option is to speak to your GP first or someone at the Chalmers St. Clinic.

Helpful Contacts Caledonia Youth Tel: 0131 229 3596 Chalmers Street Sexual Health Clinic Tel:0131 53601070 Sexual Health Scotland


are limited so check early for availability and prices. Contact the Day Nursery for more information. There is also the Unitots Nursery, based in the Psychology building at 7 George Square, which is an independently run nursery. For more information call 0131 650 3448 or check out For other childcare providers see the Scottish Childcare website at uk or telephone 0800 032 0323. They hold a list of registered child minders, playgroups, out-ofschool care service and crèches in the city. The City of Edinburgh Council also operates nursery school classes during school hours, either during the morning or afternoon. Applications to the head teacher are accepted when your child reaches two years of age. Contact the Children and Families section of the City of Edinburgh Council for more information on 0131 200 2000 or find information online at

Benefits As a student parent you may be eligible for benefits or tax credits. To find out more about the eligibly criteria visit the Advice Place.

Child Care It can be difficult to arrange childcare at an affordable price so make sure you plan ahead and investigate all possibilities. If you are studying a PGDE or PGDipCE you may be eligible for assistance with child care costs from the University Discretionary Fund. Contact The Advice Place for more details. University Day Nursery 79/81 Dalkeith Road Tel: 0131 667 9584 The University Day Nursery provides a centre where children are cared for while their parents attend university. There are some subsidised places but they


INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS IMMIGRATION The immigration rules in the UK are quite complex and change frequently. During your stay in the UK, you may require information or assistance with immigration matters. The University has staff available that are qualified and experienced in dealing with immigration issues to assist you. You can speak to an Immigration Adviser by contacting the International Office in George Square. If you need any information about your visa conditions, or need to extend your visa while you are in the UK, please contact them directly. It is essential that you are aware of the conditions of your visa and do not breach these conditions at any time. Doing so could result in your visa being revoked and future visas for the UK being refused. The Tier 4 regulations also mean that any breaches can have a significant impact on the University’s ability to sponsor all international students. You can find more information regarding immigration and how to contact the International Office at

International Office Open Monday to Friday, 8.45am to 5.00pm 33 Buccleuch Place Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4296 The International Office offers support and advice for enquirers, applicants, new students and current students who are from outside the UK.



UKCISA From within the UK phone: 020 7107 9922 From outside the UK phone: +44 20 7107 9922 Opening Times: Monday to Friday 1.00pm to 4.00pm (UK time) UKCISA is an organisation for students and prospective students to provide advice on immigration, studying and living in the UK. You can obtain information on their website or phone their advice line if you have questions either before or after you arrive in the UK.


Get out and make friends and keep in touch. Being away from home, they are your best source of support!



Depending on your visa, you may be allowed to work part-time whilst in the UK. If you are permitted to work, there are certain restrictions on the type of work and the number of hours you can work each week. For advice on working in the UK visit the current students section of the International Office website.

International Students’ Centre 22a Buccleuch Place Tel: 0131 650 4281 isc The International Students’ Centre (ISC) is open throughout the week and run by students for students. Students can meet up in the ISC where there is a wide selection of international periodicals and newspapers, as well as other information of interest to international students. The student volunteers organise a busy programme of social activities throughout the year, including parties, nights out, and weekend trips to places of interest in and around Edinburgh, and elsewhere in Scotland. Drop in to find out more.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS AND PUBLIC FUNDS When international students (and their dependants) enter the UK on visas they will be subject to a condition which requires them to be able to support and accommodate themselves “without recourse to public funds”. If you then claim public funds you will be in breach of the immigration rules which could have severe consequences on your leave to remain in the UK and impact on any further visa applications to the UK in the future. Under very limited circumstances it may be possible to claim certain welfare benefits, however seek advice before trying to apply for these welfare benefits. The Advice Place can advise you on this. You can see the full list of what are currently defined as public funds here www.ukba. rightsandresponsibilities/publicfunds/. Public funds do not include benefits that are based on National Insurance contributions.


INTERNATIONAL SOCIETIES The University of Edinburgh has over 34 different international and multicultural societies including the Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Thai, Polish, Persian and Korean societies. Membership is open to all students, regardless of nationality. Most societies meet weekly for social evenings or organise larger events throughout the term and provide an excellent opportunity for students new to the city to meet some friendly faces.




For students anxious about the standard of their English for an assignment or piece of coursework, EUSA runs a ‘Peer Proofreading Scheme’ through which you can have your assignment checked for vocabulary, English grammar and spelling mistakes. This scheme is open only to non-native English speakers and is subject to restrictions: the maximum length of a piece of work for proofreading is 3000 words and this must be submitted 7 days before the essay deadline. You will receive feedback and corrections via email and can arrange to meet with the proofreader directly to discuss your work. For more details see proofreading.

Prepare for Success is an interactive web learning tool for international students who are getting ready to come to the UK for study in further or higher education. It contains learning resources which are activity-based to help you find out about different aspects of academic life in the UK and the skills needed for effective study. For more information visit




Students’ Unions The Potterrow 5/2 Bristo Square Edinburgh EH8 9AL Tel: 0131 650 2656 Teviot Row House Bristo Square EH8 9AL Tel: 0131 650 4673 King’s Buildings Mayfield Road Edinburgh EH9 3JF Tel: 0131 650 5772 The Pleasance 60 The Pleasance Edinburgh EH8 9TJ Tel: 0131 650 2349




The Advice Place

Hugh Murdoch, President

Potterrow, Bristo Square Tel: 0131 650 9225 Text: 07537 402 004 Semester Opening Times: Monday – Friday 9.30am to 5:00pm (except Tuesday open ‘til 7 & Wednesday open at 10.30am) Vacations: As per semester opening times,, but closing at 5:00pm on Tuesdays.

Nadia Mehdi, Vice President Societies and Activities Alex Munyard, Vice President Academic Affairs Kirsty Haigh, Vice President Services

Freshers’ Week Freshers’ Week website: Jenna Kelly, Freshers’ Week Student Coordinator

King’s Buildings Tel: 0131 650 5822 Semester Opening Times: Monday – Thursday, 11.00am to 2.00pm Vacations: by appointment

UNIVERSITY SERVICES Accommodation Services Reception Centre Pollock Halls 18 Holyrood Park Road Edinburgh EH16 5AY Tel: 0131 667 1971

Careers Service 3rd Floor Main Library Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Tel: 0131 650 4670 King’s Buildings Weir Building West Mains Road Edinburgh EH9 3JY Tel: 0131 650 5773

Computing Services Main Library Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Tel: 0131 6503344

departments/information-services/ computing

Registry Old College South Bridge EH8 9YL Tel: 0131 650 2845

International Office 33 Buccleuch Place Edinburgh EH8 9JS Tel: 0131 650 4296

Student Disability Service 3rd Floor, Main Library Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Tel: 0131 650 6828

University Health Service Richard Verney Health Centre 6 Bristo Square Edinburgh EH8 9AL Tel: 0131 650 2777

University Pharmacy 6 Bristo Square Edinburgh EH8 9AL services.shtml#pharmacy

Student Counselling Service 3rd Floor, Main Library Edinburgh EH8 9LJ Tel: 0131 650 4170 Paterson’s Land Moray House School of Education Holyrood Road Edinburgh EH8 8AQ Tel: 0131 651 6200 Weir Building King’s Buildings West Mains Road Edinburgh EH9 3JY Tel: 0131 650 5773

Free Legal Advice Centre Call 07799724648 and leave your details and a brief outline of your problem. Someone will call you back to arrange an appointment.


SPORT Centre for Sport and Exercise 46 Pleasance Edinburgh EH8 9TJ Tel: 0131 650 2585 Sports’ Union Office 48 Pleasance Edinburgh EH8 9TJ Tel: 0131 650 2346

ACADEMIC College of Humanities and Social Science 55-56 George Square Edinburgh EH8 9JU Tel: 0131 650 4646 College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine The Queen’s Medical Research Institute 47 Little France Crescent Edinburgh EH16 4TJ



Tel: 0131 242 9300 The College of Science and Engineering Weir Building King’s Buildings West Mains Road Edinburgh EH9 3JY Tel: 0131 650 5753

ACADEMIC SERVICES On the Academic Services website, students can view academic policies, regulations, and guidance which dictate what students and the University can expect from each other, including guidance on the University’s policies on academic appeals and complaints.

MONEY Student Support Information (for students from England and Wales) student-finance Student Support Helpline Tel: 0845 300 5090 Student Finance England PO Box 210 Darlington DL1 9HJ Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) Gyleview House 3 Redheughs Rigg Edinburgh EH12 9HH Tel: 0845 111 1711



Edinburgh University Students’ Association The Potterrow, 5/2 Bristo Square, Edinburgh, EH8 9AL Tel: 0131 650 2656 Email: Web: EUSA is a Registered Scottish Charity (No. SCO15800)

Postgrad guide 2013  
Postgrad guide 2013