Take a stroll through
Experience the history, culture, shopping, entertainment and dining Design is the difference
Welcome to downtown
ello and welcome to the Chestnut Street District and Historic Downtown Hays. Whether you are a first time visitor or an old friend, I hope you will enjoy seeing and learning more about what there is to offer in our beautiful downtown. Whether you are here to shop, eat, socialize or learn some history, we have what you are looking for. The Downtown Hays Development Corp. Board of Directors and myself are working continuously with community members to grow, restore and improve upon what Downtown Hays has to offer. As you will see, many buildings have been restored, new businesses have opened or relocated and life has been brought back to the heart of Hays. We remain true to our mission: To enhance and secure the quality of life in Hays. The revitalization of historic Downtown Hays would not be possible without the continued support from the local community. We hope you look forward to the ongoing progress with as much excitement as the DHDC has. Downtown Hays is where Design is the Difference. We love new faces and fresh ideas so let us know how you would like to help, what you enjoyed or what you would like to see in our downtown. Traci Konrade, Executive Director Downtown Hays Development Corp. Downtown Hays Development Corp. (785) 621-4171 www.chestnutstreetdistrict.com email@example.com
1605 Main * Downtown Hays * 785-623-4600
ACCESSORIES: RY L E HEADBANDS — FLOWERS E W H M I C J UST J E BOWS — TUTUS MIRABELLA POLISH: HAIRCARE: x OPI x AG x CHINA GLAZE x RUSK x NAIL TEK x KENRA x SHELLAC x AQUAGE
A glimpse of the past
s was the case with most cities, downtown Hays was where the city was born. However, the Hays today bears little evidence of early-day Hays City, a place that was a haven for soldiers, frontiersmen, gamblers and outlaws. The city sprouted up across Big Creek from Fort Hays, a product of the military outpost and the arrival of the Union Pacfic Railroad. The intial structures that comprised Hays City’s commercial district were not along present-day Main Street, but parallel to the railroad tracks on what is now Ninth and Tenth streets. What is now Main Street was named Chestnut Street in Hays’ early days. Chestnut Street became the inspiration for “Chestnut Street District,” the name of the revitalized downtown district. Saloons, brothels and gambling houses dominated the commerce of Hays’ original Main Street. Hays’ colorful early history centers on downtown, a place where roughnecks and vigilantes gave Hays the reputation as one of the most violent towns on the frontier. This was the Hays that knew Wild Bill Hickok, gunfights, murder and mayhem. But by 1872, the tough characters mostly moved on to other places, such as Dodge City, and the new town had general stores, boarding houses, blacksmith shops, barbershops and a hotel. That was when Hays transitioned and became a destination for immigrants, notably the Volga-Germans — ethnic Germans who first had colonized Russia’s Volga River region. The three oldest buildings that still remain in downtown Hays include the former George Philip Hardware Store, Eighth and Main, which now is a photography studio; the former Krueger Dry Goods Store, Ninth and Fort, is vacant and undergoing renovations; and the former First Presbyterian Church, Seventh and Main, now is part of the Ellis County Historical Society. Much of downtown’s history went up in flames during a fire in 1895 that completely destroyed about 60 businesses. Much of the brick architecture now apparent in downtown Hays is the result of the rebuilding that took place in the 1910s and ’20s.
Hays has 3 general stores, 3 boarding houses, one bakery, several saloons and billiard halls, 2 blacksmith shops, one wheelwright, 2 barbershops, one hotel and numerous dwelling houses.
St. Joseph Catholic Church is built on 13th Street.
Hays City is founded.
First National Bank is built.
March 30th fire destroys 60 buildings downtown.
A.A. Wiesner and Son department store is built.
Downtown streets are renamed. 4 • Historic Downtown Hays
Dirt streets are bricked and Basgall Grocery Store is built.
801 Main Street, Hays, KS 785-623-4005 888-785-4005
* Furniture & Accents * Celtic Music & Jewelry * Clan Memorabilia * Antique Books * Highland Wear * Scottish Food Mall in the lower level Store Hours: Mon.-Sat. 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Sun. 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Or by Appointment
Reservations appreciated 1-785-628-8631 12th & Main 6th Floor Emprise Bank Building Hays, KS www.rooftopshays.com
Marking the past Sculptures, memorials dot downtown landscape “Wild Bill” Hickok — Union Pacific Plaza, 10th and Main Because “Wild Bill” Hickok was legendary in the early days of Hays City, it seemed only fitting a statue of him should be erected in downtown Hays. Some records show he arrived in Hays in 1867 and then again March 28, 1868, as a deputy U.S. Marshal picking up 11 Union deserters charged with stealing government property. He served as Ellis County sheriff and Hays City marshal during the late 1860s. When he lost a re-election bid in 1871, he left to become marshal in Abilene. When the First National Bank in Hays was preparing to celebrate its 100th Anniversary, it commissioned Hays artist Pete Felten to create a statue of Hickok. Felten used Indian limestone to create this larger then life figure of Hickok. It was erected in Union Pacific Park in 1989. “Buffalo Bill” Cody — 1205 Main William Frederick Cody was one of the legendary men who was a part of the early history of Hays City. He was an excellent hunter who gained the nickname “Buffalo Bill” for killing 4,280 head of buffalo in eight months to supply meat for Union Pacific railroad workers. He also was associated with the founding of the town of Rome in the spring of 1867. The “Buffalo Bill” Cody sculpture in front of the Hays Public Library became local artist Pete Felten’s first commissioned work. It is made from Carthage marble and took more than a year to complete. Lawman — 1507 Main The statue of the “Lawman” in front of Hays City Hall was placed there Oct. 12, 1975, and was dedicated during a Veterans Day ceremony that year. When city offices were relocated to 1507 Main, members of the Ellis County Historical Society Museum approached the city commission with the idea of a model of “The Lawman” statue to be located in front of City Hall. It was approved because it best represents the earliest governing agent for Hays. 6 • Historic Downtown Hays
Ellis County Veterans Memorial — 13th and Fort After months of fundraising and discussing the appropriate style for the memorial by Hays VFW, American Legion and Disabled American Veterans, the red granite monument honoring local servicemen was completed in May 1988. It was dedicated on Memorial Day, May 30, 1988. The monument includes the names of all the service men from Ellis County (103) who died while serving their country during the four major conflicts (World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War and Afghanistan) and the names of 22 men who died in service. The veterans of Ellis County have their annual Memorial Day services at this location each year. Street Singer — Seventh and Main The Street Singer statue was created to honor musicians in and around the Hays area, recognizing their continued contribution to the region’s culture and the enrichment of our lives through music and entertainment. In the late 1970s, Mark Meckel owned the property at the corner near Seventh and Main and ran a music studio. Local sculptor Pete Felten completed the statue in 1981 after a request from Meckel’s wife. Not long after the Street Singer adopted his corner, coins started appearing in his hat. It was exciting to children, of course, and was followed by questions of whether he really, in fact, did sing — like maybe late at night. Two Children — Washington Elementary School, Fourth and Main This statue was built in honor of the 75th anniversary of Washington Elementary School. Local artist Pete Felten designed the statue that promotes reading, the arts and the many children who make the Hays community great. It was completed in 2001.
Others Walker Army Air Field Memorial — 1205 Main Small buffalo — 14th and Main Lady Liberty Statue — 1205 Main St. Francis of Assisi Statue — 215 W. 13th St. Joseph Parish Sisters of St. Agnes Statue — 210 W. 13th
St. Joseph Grotto — 209 W. 13th St. Joseph Knights of Columbus Project Moses Monument — 13th and Fort For more information, visit www.haysusa.net.
Historic Downtown Hays • 7
Restoring the past
ith 13 buildings renovated in the Chestnut Street District of downtown Hays, Liberty Group joins the efforts of many entrepreneurs, whether theyâ€™re new to the district or never left. Chuck Comeau, a Kansas native and Fort Hays State University graduate, remembered the excitement of Haysâ€™ downtown decades ago. And out of his passion for design, architecture, history and the preservation of northwest Kansasâ€™ heritage, he created Liberty Group Inc., becoming the primary developer for the Chestnut Street District. The George Philip Hardware building was Liberty Groupâ€™s renovations pay one of the buildings restored in the Chestnut homage to the original buildingâ€™s Street District. It now houses Crossroads architecture but in a chic, updated Photography on the main level. urban style that draws inspiration from rural icons. The renovations are designed by Comeau and in accordance with the Kansas Historical Society whenever applicable. Comeau is nationally renowned for his design sensibilities. He has been named one of the top 100 influential designers in the country as well as revered as a â€œNew Tastemaker â€” one of 50 individuals for the future of the design industry.â€? Liberty Group works in conjunction with Downtown Hays Development Corp. to bring niche businesses to the district while providing support to existing businesses. In the past 10 years, full-service salons and spas, an international award winning brewery and diner, artistsâ€™ studios and specialty retail and cof- Gellaâ€™s Diner and Lb. Brewing Co. was one fee shops opened for business in the of the first buildings completed by Liberty Group. Chestnut Street District. Each was the dream of an entrepreneur made a reality with the aid of Liberty Group. Most recently, Liberty Group renovated the exterior of Jackie Creamerâ€™s The Dance Studio at 1003 Main, and in October 2011, Liberty Group completed contract renovation and construction supervision at 114 E. 12th. This building now is home to Singers, a live music venue and bar.
Quality, Stylish and Unique Essentials & Gifts .BJO4Ut
Shop www.bellalunaboutiquehays.com www.facebook.com/BellaLunaBoutique
Family friendly full service restaurant r'SJFEHSJMMFEDIJDLFO r3PBTUCFFGr1PSLDIPQT r$IJDLFOGSJFETUFBLr)BNCVSHFST r4BMBETEFTTFSUT &UIt)BZTt %JOFJOt$BSSZPVUt$BUFSJOH
Open Mon.-Sat. 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. Sunday 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. Full Service Bar Join the Fun with r1PPM r4IVGรกFCPBSE r%BSUT r'PPT#BMM &UIr%PXOUPXO)BZT 785-621-7245
Featuring: Name Brands: โข Jewelry โข Pandora โข Clothing โข Vera Bradley โข Accessorries โข Brighton For a unique shopping experience In Historic Downtown Hays see us at 1011 Main. HOURS OF OPERATION
MONDAY-FRIDAY: 10 A.M. TO 5:30 P.M. SATURDAY: 10 A.M. TO 5 P.M. 785-625-7476 877-737-2106 www.shopsimplycharmed.com
Building a future
iberty Group is currently renovating buildings throughout the Chestnut Street District including the Strand Theater at 1102 Main and the three red brick, two-part Oddfellows buildings at 1111 Main. The design for the Oddfellows buildings is awaiting approval from the National Park Service. In addition to these projects, the Good Book Store building at 1012 Main and the Opera House at 811 Fort are among Liberty Groupâ€™s future projects. Work is ongoing in the Oddfellows buildings at 12th and Main. Plans for the building include business space downstairs and apartments on the upper level.
To find out more about vacant buildings, future projects and entrepreneurship opportunities in the Chestnut Street District, contact Kelli Hansen with Liberty Group at (785) 434-2777 or Traci Konrade with Downtown Hays Development Corp. at (785) 621-4171. Efforts have been under way to clean and preserve the unique ceiling in the Strand Theater.
HAYS AQUATIC PARK Bring the kids for an afternoon of fun! 4th & Main â€˘ Downtown Hays 785.623.2650 Hours of Operation 12:00 pm-7:00 pm Monday-Saturday 1:00 pm-6:00 pm Sundays
he Downtown Hays Development Corp. was founded in 2000 to facilitate the restoration of downtown. Today, DHDC continues to work with coordinator Traci Konrade, Fort Hays State University interns and dedicated working committees consisting of community volunteers and local businessmen and women, as well as Liberty Group, the primary developer for the revitalization effort. The effort has been at times Local artist Pete Felten stands next to the Chestnut Street District marker he constructed to identify the tedious but very exciting and boundaries of the historic district. rewarding. As you can see, the newly restored buildings and new and relocated businesses have been a welcome addition to the Chestnut Street District and community.
Vision The DHDC envisions a future downtown area that is both physically and economically revitalized. There will be both increased occupancy rates and beautiful buildings. There will be a thriving economic mix of community, residential and business property owners. A revitalized downtown will be a destination for local community members, FHSU students, visiting business travelers, convention groups, state championships and tourists. An exciting combination of interesting retail shops, good restaurants, recreation/ Heath Meder, Hays, brushes his secret sauce on a batch of education facilities and Asian chicken wings during Blues, BBQ and Bargains. meeting places will draw individuals and families downtown, as a place to spend both money and time in a friendly and cheerful environment. Downtown Hays will be easy to locate for out-of-town visitors, and there will be convenient and accessible parking available. Downtown buildings will have the decades of remodeling stripped away to reveal Delta Zeta Sorority members paint downtown windows ahead of Fort Hays State Universityâ€™s their original authentic beauty. A revitalized Downtown Hays Homecoming. will be pedestrian friendly, with renovated sidewalks and design elements that visually unify the entire area and with increased connection with the FHSU campus. Historic Downtown Hays â€˘ 11
mong the many downtown Hays events each year, FrostFest is a favorite for many residents and visitors during the holidays. Beginning in 2011, FrostFest has expanded to become a month-long event, starting with the Holiday Open House weekend at downtown Hays businesses during the first weekend of November and extending through the first weekend of December, highlighted by the annual FrostFest Illuminated Parade. Also part of revamped FrostFest is the “Bright” Friday Christmas Light Celebration and Small Business Saturday shopping, on the Friday and Saturday following Thanksgiving. FrostFest finale weekend in December includes the parade, as well as the Ellis County Historial Society Museum Christmas Open House. It also coincides with community events including Christmas Past at Historic Fort Hays, Fort Hays State University’s Madrigal Feaste and Eagle Communications “Christmas for Kids” Telethon for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Ellis County. Continuing through December are vintage carriage rides through downtown. Santa arrives during the FrostFest Illuminated Parade.
• Spring Gallery Walk, hosted by Hays Arts Council • International Edible Book Festival, Hays Public Library
• Wines and Steins, hosted by DHDC
June • Summer Gallery Walk, hosted by Hays Arts Council
July • Wild West Festival, Frontier Park • Blues, BBQ & Bargains, hosted by DHDC
August • Fall Gallery Walk, hosted by Hays Arts Council 12 • Historic Downtown Hays
October • FHSU Homecoming/Oktoberfest, Frontier Park • Taste of Downtown Hays, hosted by DHDC
November • FrostFest begins with Holiday Open House at downtown businesses • “Bright” Friday, hosted by DHDC
December • FrostFest culminates with annual Illuminated Parade, hosted by DHDC • Winter Gallery Walk, hosted by Hays Arts Council
Hotspots in Downtown Hays Augustine's Bakery 1305 Main (785) 621-2253
Off the Top 301 E 8th (785) 628-0418
Coffee Rules Lounge 1011 Elm (785) 621-4755
Professorâ€™s Steakhouse and Saloon 521 E 11th (785) 621-4780
Gutch's Bar and Grill 111 W 7th (785) 623-4088 Hays Public Library 1205 Main 785-625-9014 Larks Park 200 E 4th (785) 625-9893 Lb. Brewing Co. and Gella's Diner 117 E 11th (785) 621-2739
Salon Ten-O-Seven 1007 Main (785) 628-6000 Semolino Coffee & Eatery 110 W 11th (785) 621-2520 Tiger Mat 235 W 8th (785) 628-8001
For a complete listing of free Nex-Tech Wi-Fi Hotspots, visit www.nex-tech.com. 9LQHÂ‡+D\V.6
HISTORIC commercial buildings For a map, see pages 16 and 17.
Wiesner Buildings — 801 Main was built in 1913, and 805 Main was built in 1911 by A.A. Wiesner for his department store featuring groceries and household items. Wiesner’s lasted until 1990. Currently, the south part is rented by Northglen Antiques, a Scottish antique store, and the north part is undergoing renovations.
Madden Building — Built by F.W. Woolworth Co. in 1961 to house a Woolworth’s department store. Woolworth’s was only in the building until 1977. It now houses The Furniture Look, an upscale furniture store.
Wiesner Buildings, 1937
Peach Tree Corner — Formerly home of the King family’s bakery and hotel. Citizen’s State Bank was built here in 1912. Since 1991, the building has housed Coldwell Banker Executive Realty. Peach Tree Corner, on the right
The 1000 block of Main, including the Knoche and Reeder buildings on the right.
Knoche Building — Built by Henry Knoche in 1917, it had a variety of tenants including clothing stores, a furniture/ undertakers and embalmers business and drug stores. Since 2000, it has been the location of Simply Charmed, a jewelry and gift store.
Reeder Building — Built by C.W. Reeder in 1917. The Hays City Drug Store occupied the building from 1928 to 1972. It now is the location of Bella Luna Boutique.
Middlekauff Building — Part of a building built by Dr. Joseph Middlekauff in 1924. It first held the offices of Dr. W.F. Czeskleba Music and Optical Co. until about 1943. Since 2005, it has been the location of Semolino, a coffee shop, martini bar and fine dining establishment. 14 • Historic Downtown Hays
HISTORIC commercial buildings G
Felten Block — Built by Harry Felten in 1917. Earliest businesses in the two western storefronts were a produce store and Felten’s Meat Market. It has been the location of C.S. Post General Store since 1997.
Felten Livery, approximately 1910
The Lamer Hotel, far left, the Strand Theater, second from right, and the Basgall Building, right
Basgall Building — Built by J.B. Basgall in 1917. Basgall’s Grocery Store was there until 1951. From 1952 to 1987, Jack and Jill’s, a children’s clothing store was located there. The Paisley Pear, a fine design and edibles boutique, and Bildschon Haus of Windows, a custom window treatments and design shop, now is located there.
Strand Theater — Built by M.G. Kirkman in 1917. Served as a theater until 1962. Remodeled in 1963 as The Village Shop, a men’s clothing store. It is currently vacant and undergoing renovations. Lamer Hotel — Built by C.W. Lamer in 1930 as a luxury hotel. The Lamer Hotel occupied the building until 1965. In 1967, the First National Bank, which eventually became Emprise Bank, remodeled the building and still uses it today. Other tenants include Rooftops, a restaurant on the sixth floor, and office space.
Historic Downtown Hays • 15
Downtown walking tour Explanations on destinations can be found on pages 14-15 and 18-20, by visiting the locations or by logging onto www.elliscountyhistoricalmuseum.org.
yâ€™s Jim Curr
Co Town &
rti The Spo t
1011 1213 1
Pac Kansas e ra Hous The Ope
Ho 21 20 Union Pacific
. De Mail Co
Saloon rth Beer o w n e v Lea
ardsley Sherif f B
Walking tour of Historical Hays City
Walking tour of downtown commercial businesses
lo Felten B
ding auff Buil
14 15 1617
heater Strand T
E Reeder Building D Knoche Building e Corner
re Peach T
hous r’s Ware
Sella Otero &
9th S 5 White’s Barber Shop
6 Cy Goddard’s Dance Hall 7 The Perry House 8 Paddy Walsh’s Gambling Hall 10 R.W. Evans’ Grocery Store 11 Waters and Murray’s Saloon 12 Kate Coffey’s Saloon
13 Tommy Drum’s Saloon 14 Ed Goddard’s Saloon 15 Judge Joyce’s Court 16 “Dog” Kelley’s Faro House 17 The Pioneer Store
Downtown walking tour 1
Gospel Hill — Originally the site of the Armes Dance Hall, four churches occupied this corner. The First Baptist Church still is in use today. The former Lutheran church now is used as a law office.
Town and County Jail — Hays city and Ellis County jointly used this jail. Prisoners were chained to a center post in the basement that supported the floor above to prevent them from escaping.
The Sporting Palace — One of more than a dozen brothels that lined North Main.
Businesses that lined north Main, now known as 10th Street.
Jim Curry’s Restaurant — It began as The Star Restaurant by Henry P. Field, and was later bought by Jim Curry, who allegedly killed several men in Hays.
White’s Barber Shop — Owned by a former slave, John White, who was highly respected and would later be elected justice of the peace.
Cy Goddard’s Dance Hall — A notorious place even by Hays City standards. Many a patron that came for refreshment and entertainment would find themselves permanent citizens of Boot Hill.
The Perry House — Built in the town of Rome and then moved to Hays City, the Perry House played host to many of the West’s famous characters.
Paddy Walsh’s Gambling Hall — Irish immigrant John “Paddy” Walsh served in the U.S. Army. He was a member of the Hays City Militia and set up business in November 1867. After the courthouse and jail burned for the third time, court was held in a small building on the back of the Gambling Hall.
Kansas Pacific Depot — The first depot on this site was completed in November 1867.
Downtown walking tour R.W. Evans’ Grocery Store — Site of the early post office in which Joseph N. Weiss was shot after being ordered out of town by the Vigilance Committee.
Waters and Murray’s Saloon — Moses Waters and Henry Murray opened a saloon on this site in 1869. It was the only true two-story saloon in town. Waters later moved to Dodge City.
Kate Coffey’s Saloon — Kate Burns and Mike Coffey were the first couple to be married in Ellis County. They ran a saloon on this site until 1872 when they moved it south on the military road leading to Fort Larned, near Walnut Creek.
Tommy Drum’s Saloon — This was the oldest and bestknown of Hays City saloons. Tommy Drum’s Saloon was the favorite gathering place for such famous personages as Hickok, Cody and Gens. Custer and Nelson A. Miles.
Judge Joyce’s Court — One of Hays City’s most colorful characters was M.E. Joyce. He presided as Justice of the Peace for Hays and often said there was no higher court than his. Guilty and innocent were judged and fined according to the amount the accused had in their pockets.
“Dog” Kelley’s Faro House — Kelley was known for his collection of dogs, both racing and hunting. Thus his nickname, Hound Dog. He also ran this saloon and gambling house. Kelley was one of several Hays people who, in 1872, moved and founded Dodge City.
Tommy Drum’s Saloon
Ed Goddard’s Saloon — The Goddard brothers opened “The Cheap Store” as a provisions store and later boarded railroad construction workers.
The Pioneer Store — Dennis Ryan and Mike Caplice ran this outfitting store from 1867 to 1870. This site later would become the blacksmith shop of Mike Haffamier. Haffamier planted a peach tree, giving the area the name Peach Tree Corner.
Otero and Sellar’s Warehouse
Otero and Sellar’s Warehouse — Otero, later territorial governor of New Mexico, ran a freighting business on the Santa Fe Trail, south of Hays. To take advantage of the railroad, Otero and his partner John Sellar had a warehouse here and would take goods down to the Santa Fe Trail and on into New Mexico.
Downtown walking tour 19
Santa Fe Mail Co. Depot — In 1867, this was the unofficial starting point of the Santa Fe Trail.
Union Pacific House — This second-largest building in 1867 was a hotel used for the railroad workers while they were here. It later was sold to Bob Wright who ran it as a hotel.
The Opera House — This building was erected in 1877 as Kreuger’s Dry Goods Store. The top floor had a stage and was used for theatrical groups and town meetings, giving the store the name, The Opera House. The Opera House.
Sheriff Bardsley’s House — Sheriff George Bardsley resided here from 1869 to 1880. Bardsley was one of the few early sheriffs to survive his first term of office. He helped capture two of Sam Bass’s gang who had robbed a train in Ogallala, Neb.
Leavenworth Beer Saloon — Located on Fort Street, the original road to Fort Hays, this saloon was the site of many disturbances.
The former U.S. Land Office.
United States Land Office — Originally built as a dry goods store in 1874, this stone building was used as the land office from 1875 to 1877. In 1894, it became the George Philip Hardware store, which operated from 1896 to 1997.
First Presbyterian Church — The first church built in Hays, the Presbyterian Church was built in 1879. It is now part of the Ellis County Historical Society.
Other sites: • First Methodist Church — Seventh and Oak — Abandoned for the site at Seventh and Ash, the original Methodist Church would become the Hays Protestant Hospital with the support of the Methodist Board of Hospitals. • Beach House — 300 block of West 13th — In 1909, the first hospital to be established in northwest Kansas opened its doors in a remodeled family mansion, the Beach House. Today, buildings connected with the old hospital still are in use as the corporate headquarters for Sunflower Electric Power Corp. • Boot Hill — 18th and Fort — The oldest cemetery of the Wild West named Boot Hill. 20 • Historic Downtown Hays
Information, Inspiration & Recreation The Kansas Room collection includes information about Hays, Ellis County, the Western U.S., genealogy, Volga Germans and Hays historical walking tours. 1205 Main St. Hays, KS 67601 Adult Dept: 785-625-9014 Youth Svcs: 785-625-5916
Hours Mon. - Thu: 9am - 8pm Friday: 9am - 6pm Saturday: 9am - 5pm Sunday: 1pm - 5pm
OPEN 7 Days a Week Bar & Grill
10 A.M. to 2 A.M.
Grill Open 10 A.M. to 9 P.M. Dine In or Carryout Check out our Daily Food & Drink Specials Enjoy smoke free dining inside or try our outdoor patio area for smokers. Featuring a Dance Floor,pool tables & darts 7 TH s $OWNTOWN (AYS 785-625-9292 WWWSIPNSPINCOM
t the turn of the 20th century, Hays women began to realize the need for a cultural center where people could gather, read and learn. A literary organization begun in 1895, the Saturday Afternoon Club, established a reading room in 1899 as a civic project. The first community library opened to the public July 22, 1911, after a donation of $8,000 had been received from the Carnegie Foundation. It was one of thousands of Carnegie libraries throughout the United States. Flash forward nearly 100 years, and Hays has brought that CarneHays Public Library, top, in 1911, and botgie-style library back to downtown The tom, in present day. Hays. The original Carnegie library had been razed in the 1960s to make room for a larger building to house the library. Renovations and an addition to that building began in 2002. Included in the project was replicating the exterior of the building to resemble a Carnegie Library. A grand opening for what now is known as Hays Public Library, 1205 Main, took place Feb. 14, 2004.
all in love with history as you view exhibits devoted to the rich heritage of Ellis County. At the Ellis County Historical Society Museum, Seventh and Main, visitors can learn about the legendary characters of the Wild West, such as Custer, Cody and Hickok; early settlers including one of the largest migrations of Germans from Russia; agriculture; and the 1879 Stone Church among many other topics. The Ellis County Historical Society owns and maintains the original Boot Hill, established in 1867, located at 18th and Fort. The museum also houses an Former Presbyterian church, now part of extensive archive for those interested in the Ellis County Historical Society. research or genealogy. Both museum buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places. The First Presbyterian Church was listed in May — Pioneer Day on 1973. The main museum building was museum grounds listed as part of the Chestnut Street HisSeptember — Midwest toric District. Deutsches Oktoberfest at Ellis The museum also maintains the Younker Harness Shop that stood on West County Fairgrounds 11th Street in Hays in the early 1900s. December — Christmas For more information, call (785) 628Open House at museum 2624 or visit www.elliscountyhistorical museum.org.
22 • Historic Downtown Hays
Bank Better. Bank Better. Bank Better. Bank Better. Bank Bank Better. Better.
1200 Main St. 1011 E 27th St. 2701 Hall St. 785.625.6595 www.emprisebank.com Member FDIC
Located corner 7th&&Fort, Fort, Hays, Located atat thethe corner of of 7th Hays, KS KS
CarryOut Outcall: call: Carry 785-623-4088 785-623-4088 Alsooffering offering menu. Also fullfull lineline menu.
WoodFired FiredPizza Pizza Wood
Mon.- Fri. - Fri. 11am to&2pm &11pm 4:30 to 11pm Mon. 11am to 2pm 4:30 to Saturday 11am to 11pm Saturday 11am to 11pm Join us at the WILD ROSE Thurs. - Sat.
Tokick kickup upyour yourheels heals on on the the best To bestwooden wooden dancefloor flooraround. around. Enjoy Enjoy aa full full service dance servicebar. bar.
Experience the flavor of historic downtown Hays at affordable rates.
comfort r'SFF8J'J r1BDLBHFT r8FFLMZSBUFT r(JGUDFSUêDBUFT
888-623-1125 or 785-623-4060
DWAYNE’S DESIGNS “WHERE THE UNEXPECTED IS EXPECTED”
Flowers • Home Decor Gourmet • Gifts Mon. - Fri. 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Saturday 10:30 AM to 2:30 PM 1308 Main Hays, Kansas 67601
785.625.4945 or 888.628.4945 Sales@DwaynesDesigns.com www.DwaynesDesigns.com ~Dwayne H. Spady - Designer, Owner~
Life in stone
he Stone Gallery is one of many art studios and galleries in the Historic Downtown Hays district. However, it boasts arguably the most visible artist in Hays’ history. Stone comes to life at the Stone Gallery, the professional studio of sculptor Pete Felten. He was born and raised in Hays and is a self-taught sculptor. His limestone and other stone carvings can be seen throughout Hays. Though his medium is sculpture, Felten’s work is varied, ranging from miniatures to 24-ton monuments. He works with a variety of stone including Carthage marble, alabaster, fence post limestone, Texas limestone, Vermont blue marble and more. Some of Felten’s works easily spotted in Hays included the Pteranodon, which greets Interstate 70 travelers on the northeast edge of the city and the Monarch of the Plains, located at Historic Fort Hays. Many of his downtown Hays sculptures can be found on pages 8 and 9. Guided tours of the Stone Gallery are available by appointment, and Felten usually can be found working at his studio during the day. The Stone Gallery is located at 1071⁄2 W. Sixth. Call (785) 625-7619 to arrange a tour.
Many of Pete Felten’s sculptures are on display inside his Stone Gallery.
Art studios and galleries 711 Studio 711 Main • (785) 625-4895 Artists @ Work Studio 717 Main • (785) 650-3998 Bruce Burkholder Studio and Gallery 116 E. 11th • (785) 650-3673 www.bruceburkholder.com Crystal Memories 3D Portait Shop 1008 Main • (785) 621-4485 Dennis Schiel Studio and Gallery 107 E. 11th • (970) 597-0707
Hays Arts Center Gallery 112 E. 11th • (785) 625-7522 www.haysartscouncil.org Madd Matter Frame Shop and Gallery 112 E. 11th • (785) 628-3552 Pottery Works 126 W. Ninth • (785) 628-2738 Studio Kuksi 807 Main • (785) 650-4990
Historic Downtown Hays • 25
Keeping busy Recreation • Hays Aquatic Park, Fourth and Main • Frontier Park — fishing, disc golf course, walking nature trail, South Main • Larks Park, Fourth and Oak • Union Pacific Park, Tenth and Main
Faith • St. Joseph Catholic Church, 210 W. 13th • First Baptist Church, 12th and Fort • First United Methodist Church, 305 W. Seventh • Liberty Christian Fellowship, 120 W. Ninth
A boy fishes off the bridge in Frontier Park.
Night clubs/entertainment • Gella’s, 117 E. 11th • Golden Q, 809 Ash • Rooftops, 1200 Main, sixth floor • Semolino, 110 W. 11th • Singers, 114 E. 12th
• Sip ’n Spin, 209 W. 10th • The Brass Rail, 114 E. 11th • The Home, 229 W. 10th • The Wild Rose, 109 W. Seventh • Toby Jugs, 104 E. Seventh
110 WEST 11TH STREET - DOWNTOWN HAYS CAFE - LIVE MUSIC - ESPRESSO - GALLERY NOW SERVING:
Find Cafe Semolino Live Music & Specials on Facebook
Where good times start Full service liquor store t-JRVPST t8JOFT t$PMECFFS t$PSEJBMT 8UIt%PXOUPXO)BZT
Hays Welcome Center UI7JOFt)BZT ,4
(less than one mile south of I-70 exit 159)
'SFF$PÃµFFt$MFBO3FTUSPPNT 'SFFMPDBM SFHJPOBMTUBUFPG,BOTBTNBQT 0WFSUPVSJTUCSPDIVSFT
Experience downtown The Blues, BBQ and Bargains event, which takes place in July of each year, features shopping opportunities from downtown businesses.
Wild West Festival attracts nationally known recording artists, such as Sawyer Brown, pictured, to the festival focused around the Fourth of July.
Polka music is just one of the highlights of the Fort Hays State University Oktoberfest, an annual event during FHSUâ€™s homecoming weekend.
People line the streets for a Wild West Festival parade through downtown Hays.
A crowd gathers during the annual Wines and Steins event in downtown Hays. An evening fog ushers in lighted entries in the FrostFest Illuminated Parade, which takes place annually during the first weekend in December.
28 â€˘ Historic Downtown Hays
Experience downtown Adam Comeau of Liberty Group looks out the window of one of the group’s renovated downtown apartments on the top floor of the George Philip Hardware building at Eighth and Main.
Hays Parks Department employees string a few more feet of lights on a pine tree at Union Pacific Park at 10th and Main in preparation for downtown Hays’ Holiday Open House weekend.
Downtown Hays patrons enjoy samples of various samples of food at Paisley Pear, 1100 Main, during a Taste of Downtown Hays event.
Gordon Sherman, professor of printmaking at Fort Hays State University, talks about an art display during a Hays Arts Council gallery walk. Photos courtesy of The Hays Daily News, Downtown Hays Development Corp., Hays Public Library and Ellis County Historical Society.
Matt Bender and Gerald Wyman brew a batch of oatmeal stout beer at Lb Brewing Co., 117 E. 11th.
Historic Downtown Hays • 29
To the Tips of Your Toes
From The Top of Your Head
Weâ€™re the Color People
Salon * Spa * Art * Unique Boutique 1007 Main Street * Hays * 785-628-6000 Sister Locations Salon Diva Rock Haven Spa
Offering Professional Consultation, Design, Sales and Installation For Your Homeâ€¦
r5FMFWJTJPOT r)PNF5IFBUFST r"VEJP7JEFP'VSOJUVSF r8IPMF)PVTF"VEJP r4FDVSJUZ4ZTUFNT r7JEFP4VSWFJMMBODF 4ZTUFNT r)PNF"VUPNBUJPO and Control
For Your Business, Organization or Schoolâ€¦
r4FDVSJUZ4ZTUFNT r7JEFP4VSWFJMMBODF 4ZTUFNT r$PNNFSDJBM"VEJP 4ZTUFNT r1IPOF4ZTUFNT
For Your Vehicleâ€¦
r"VEJP4ZTUFNT r7JEFP4ZTUFNT r(14 r#MVFUPPUI%FWJDFT rJ1PEBOE.1*OUFHSBUJPO r,FZMFTT&OUSZ4ZTUFNT r3FNPUF4UBSU4ZTUFNT
Published on Nov 15, 2011