North Berwick High Street
Please read this if you would like to find out more about North Berwickâ€™s old and new High Streets.
This picture behind is of Quality Street in the past. Today. Quality St. is very short but full of cafes, takeaway places and a couple of small hotels. If you look closely you can see, at the end of the street that it leads down into the harbour and beach. Quality St is short and is attached onto the
This is a current photo of Quality
North Berwick War Memorial North Berwick war memorial is across from the information Scotland centre. There are a lot of names on the memorial remembering the soldiers that died in the Great War and WWII
Memorials are found in most towns like Macmerry, Gullane and Port Seton. War memorials can show you a lot of information like names of those who died and when they died. A war memorial is a building, monument or statue to celebrate a victory or to commemorate those who died at war and also who were injured in war. North Berwickâ€™s memorial gets surrounded by poppy wreath on the 11th of November. North Berwickâ€™s war memorial got extended to North Berwick High School in memory of all the people who died in the war who went to the school.
People who were on the memorial: James C Adams, James Hogg Adams, Kenneth Alexander, Robert M C Archibald, John Bailie, James Blair, David Bruce and also Gordon Dobson. All these people came from North Berwick High School.
The Law The North Berwick law is a volcanic hill that has been in North Berwick for many of years. It is a rather big tourist attraction and it is 613 feet above the ground. The Law belonged to a woman who was a nun who was responsible for lighting the warning beacon on the summit. It was such a bonfire blazed in 1544 to warn of an invading English army under the Earl of Hertford. In 1803 a signal station was permanently manned during world war two. The North Berwick law is described as a breast shaped hill, which looks over the whole of North Ber-
It was used during WW2 for a look out point, which helped very much considering that it is 613 feet above Many people that come to North Berwick during holiday season and go up the law. You can climb up the law and have a lovely picnic. The whales jawbone was originally erected in 1709. When it blew down in 1933 a replacement was put up along with a flag staff from the ship chancellor.
The Harbour The harbour in North Berwick was built in 1150 however it started a ferry services, then switched to commerce and fishing. The main exports in 1974 were wheat and barley. The main imports were wood and iron. The oldest part of the harbour is the “auld kirk green” or “anchor green”. Legend has it that on Halloween 1590, Satan himself attended a coven on the auld kirk green. The harbour became used less and less because of the arrival of the train. In the early days there were ferry services to Fife, with up to 10 thousand pilgrims passing the port every year. There were plans to extend the harbour all the way to Craigleith however these plans were dropped because there were no big boats which entered North Berwick Harbour.
The Bass Rock The Bass Rock is an island in the outer part of the Firth of Forth. A lighthouse was built on the Bass Rock in 1902. The Bass Rock has 80,000 occupied nest sites. The first inhabitant on the Bass Rock happened to be a man called Baldred, a prior or monk of Lindisfarne who was sent out to the Lothian’s in the 8th Century to change its heathen inhabitants to Christianity. He used the island for meditation and Prayer. The chapel built in 1491 was then dedicated to saint Baldred in 1546. Saint Baldred died on the Bass Rock on the 6th of March 757. The ruins of the church are found half way up the Bass Rock. Saint Baldred is also known as ‘the Apostle of the Lothian’s’.
Sula II is a boat that provides boat trips from North Berwick Harbour to the Bass Rock, then to Craigleith and to Fidra. Sula boat trips were established in 1970. The name Sula comes from the Latin Sula Bassanus, which is a species of gannet that inhabits the Bass Rock. The Bass Rock has 80,000 occupied nest sites.
The School The Old School was founded in 1885, beginning with 28 pupils. They taught reading, writing, arithmetic and in high school they taught Latin, Geography and Keeping.
Law Road In 1895 they opened a new school where the community centre is. It cost a lot more than the other school, at ÂŁ2,500. In just a month the school roll was 128.
GRANGE ROAD THIS SCHOOL OPENED IN 1895.THE HIGH SCHOOL BEGAN WITH 13 PUPILS,AS THE TIME GOES BY THE MORE PUPILS WERE COMING IN TO THIS SCHOOL.THERE WERE THAT MANY PUPILS THEY HAD TO MAKE BIGGER SCIENCE LABS AND NEW EXTENTIONS ON THE CLASSROOMS.BY 2005 THEY HAD ELECTRIC WHITEBOARDS.IF YOU DIDN’T KNOW THERE WAS ALSO FAMOUS PEOPLE THAT WENT TO NBHS LIKE CATRIONA MATTHEWS THAT IS A PROFFESIONAL GOLFER AND ANDREW DRIVER THAT PLAYS FOR
North Berwick Witch Hunts The North Berwick Witch Trials were held in 1590 and hundreds of people were accused of witchcraft. The trials would be held at the Auld Kirk Green which is part of the modern day harbour. North Berwick were the first town in Scotland to host witch trials, seventy accused witches were killed. They were accused of meeting the Devil at night , this is why they were arrested. Most of the people that were killed were in fact not witches they just didnâ€™t survive the torture. The North Berwick trials were held for two years from 15901592. How did they begin? On a dark stormy night, King James was sailing across the sea to marry Anne of Denmark. As he was sailing, he saw storms up ahead and sailed to land. He had arrived at the small town of North Berwick, where he saw witches gathered at the Auld Kirk Green. He started running witch trials and they spread all the way over Scotland. They lasted from 1560- 1707 in Scotland and between 3,0004,000 were killed.
Agnes Sampson? Agnes Sampson was a famous witch from North Berwick. She was the oldest witch and the main witch. She was also known as â€˜The Wise Wife of Keithâ€™. She was accused of having healing powers and meeting up with the devil at night. She survived all the torture. She had four prongs forced in her mouth, she had a rope tied around her neck, and she was kept without sleep and survived the witches bridal. It was only after this torture did she confess to 53 indictments against her. After these confessions she was examined by James Vl at his palace of Hollyrood house in Edinburgh. She was taking to the scaffold on castle hill where she was garrotted and burnt at the steak. Only after this she died. What happened? People that were accused of which craft even if they were innocent were killed either way. If they were a witch they would survive the torture then be killed. If they were not a witch they would die from the torture.
The Sea Bird Centre
The Sea Bird Centre is a huge part of the biology of North Berwick. It was a Millennium project and was opened in 2000 by the Prince of Wales. It is one of the only millennium projects still going today, and is funded by charitable donations and the entrance fees. On average, the Sea Bird Centre gets 280,000 visitors per year and generates ÂŁ20 million annually .
The Queen visited the Sea Bird Centre in 2009.
Sir David Attenborough visited the Sea Bird Centre, and called the Bass Rock one of the 12 wildlife wonders of the world.
The biggest attraction within the Sea Bird centre is the viewing room, where you can watch the seven cameras they have on the Bass Rock. The Seabird Centre also has cameras spread out between Craigleith, the Isle of May, Fidra and Dunbar Harbour. The cameras on Fidra allow visitors to see the fast flying Perigrene falcons. They can fly at speeds of over 55 miles per hour!
May is populated by very cute seals, which are popular with adults and children alike! In the summer they also do boat trips around the Bass Rock, which are very popular.
The Bass Rock has the worldâ€™s largest population of gannetsâ€”there are roughly 150,000 which live on the Bass Rock. There are also puffins which live on Craigleith, and are a massive attraction. The cameras on Fidra allow visitors to see the fast flying Perigrene falcons. They can fly at speeds of over 55 miles per hour!
300 million years ago, The Law was an active volcano. Because of this, it was made from hard igneous rock which took much more force to wear away than the soft sedimentary rock around it. Back then, all the land was the same level as the top of the law. Over the last 2 million years, ice glaciers have scoured out the soft rock and left the hill we know today. However as well as the igneous rock, there is a small strip of sedimentary rock behind it, protected from the glaciers. This is called a ‘Crag and Tail.’ FACT: The Law is an old word for ‘rounded or conical hill.’
Tail Side-On View
Today, the Law is best known not for being an extinct volcano, the spectacular view from the top and it’s unique whalebone monument. It is a popular tourist attraction, with many people climbing up each day, and is the most distinct landmark of the town, perhaps beside the Bass Rock.
Tantallon Castle Tantallan Castle, 5 miles outside of North Berwick, is a ruined fortress built in the 14th Century.
History In 1346, the castle was owned by Douglas William, when it was built. In total the castle is around 1,100 square metres. The curtain wall was built with local red sand stone. During its history it endured three great sieges, in 1491, 1528 and 1651. In 1699, it was sold to Sir Hew Dalrymple, who also owned North Berwick, the Bass Rock and Fidra. He let it fall into ruin, and even sold some of it’s stone.
Today Today the ruin of the castle is open to the public and is owned by Historic Scotland. In 2009,a photo of a ghost was taken by a psychologist, the second to be taken in 30 years. Price for admission are £5 for an adult, and £3 for kids. It is 7 storeys and 15 metres high, 90 metres long, and the walls are 3.6 thick.
North Berwick Fringe By The Sea The Fringe by The Sea is an annual event that lasts a week, concerts, book signings by famous authors, and different events are all held in the large Belhaven Spiegel tent. During the night, drinks are available in the Spiegel tent and visitors are welcome to have a few if they want and listen to the live bands. T h e r e a r e f o u r s e s s i o n s o f e v e n t s a d a y, a n d then the Spiegel tent is open for the drinks. There are other events that take place out with the tent, such as the raft race, the golf competitions, a sail parade, and a yacht gathering.
The famous whale's jawbone, pictured below right, collapsed in June 2005 after rotting away, and was removed by helicopter, much to the surprise of North Berwick residents. A jawbone has stood there since 1709, the last one having been there since 1933. On 26 June 2008, a fiberglass replica whale bone, the same size as the one that was removed in 2005, was airlifted into place to give North Berwick Law back its famous landmark North Berwick Law is a conical hill which rises incongruously from the surrounding landscape (indeed, this is the definition of the Lowland Scots word "law"). It overlooks the East Lothian town of North Berwick and stands at 613 ft (187 m) above sea level.
By Megan and Norome.
GEOGRAPHY The Bass Rock The Bass Rock, or simply The Bass, is an island in the outer part of the Firth of Forth in the east of Scotland. It is approximately 2 kilometers (1.2 mi) offshore, and 5 kilometers (3.1 mi) north-east of North Berwick. It is a steep-sided volcanic rock, 107 meters (351 ft) at its highest point, and is home to a large colony of gannets. The rock is currently uninhabited, but historically has been settled by an early Christian hermit, and later was the site of an important castle, which was, after the Commonwealth, used as a prison. The island was in the ownership of the Lauder family for almost six centuries, and now belongs to Sir Hew Fleetwood Hamilton-Dalrymple.
A volcanic plug, also called a volcanic neck or lava neck, is a volcanic landform created when magma hardens within a vent on an active volcano. When forming, a plug can cause a buildup of pressure if volatile-charged magma is trapped beneath it, and this can sometimes lead to an explosive eruption. If a plug is preserved, erosion may remove the surrounding rock while the erosion-resistant plug remains, producing a upstanding landform. This is similar to how the bass rock was formed. A lighthouse was constructed on the rock in 1902, and the remains of a chapel are located there. The Bass Rock features in numerous works of fiction, including Robert Stevenson's Catriona and The Lion is Rampant by contemporary Scottish novelist Ross Laidlaw.
By Norome and Megan
GEOGRAPHY The Space North Berwick The Space North Berwick was built in 2010 in an old golf factory. It used to be Ben Sayers golf factory. It has been a rundown factory for many years. The skate park opened 23rd of july 2011 . it is very cheap to go it is ÂŁ4 for 1 hour .
In the space there is a big couch for relaxing and listening to good music like skrillex.