Official City Guide
DEBBIE ROSSETTO Over $1 Billion In Sales
“I will help you achieve your goals!” Deborah "Debbie" Rossetto BRE #00985361 • Top Notch Home Preparation • Great Listener, Excellent Negotiator • I Provide You with ALL the Facts • Open Line of Communication • Well-Respected by My Peers • Consistent, Successful Track Record
(408) 891-9977 • (510) 656-1008 firstname.lastname@example.org www.debbierossetto.com
Call me today for your FREE Market Analysis or Prequalification Consultation Still right here serving YOU exclusively, as always! Listing and selling YOUR property everyday for over 29 years!
Milpitas, California 2017 Official City Guide
Ranked in the Top 1% agents in the Nation
Keep until May 2018
2017-2018 Find every business in town!
C a l i f o r n i a
Photo courtesy of the City of Milpitas
America’s Finest City www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov
6-46 S. Abbott Ave.
See our ad under shopping centers
Paying Too Much for Insurance? Get a quick quote today for all your insurance needs. DAN YOUNGS INSURANCE 262-5196
©2017 Milpitas Publishing Corporation
This directory is recyclable.
Welcome To Milpitas! Dear Neighbors, brought Official Milpitas City Guide, Your 2017-2018 Edition of the its 37th g ratin celeb is , tion pora Cor ng to you by the Milpitas Publishi ng lishi Pub itas Milp three decades, anniversary this year! For over for the residents and ely usiv excl e guid this ided Corporation has prov nd my As Mayor, I would like to exte business merchants of this city. ts for the chan mer ness busi and ens citiz gratitude to them and to all our erica’s “Am itas: Milp in n you have show continued support and pride Finest City!” Mayor, Rich Tran ety continues to be online in its entir This year’s City Guide, which and list act cont city ted upda des an at www.milpitasinfo.com, inclu tion on the City Council, all City pages, providing valuable informa updated community information . ions lved on City Commiss departments, and how to get invo ity! Get involved in your commun or May , Rich Tran
Dear Neighbors, By using the Official Milpitas City Guide and milpitasinfo.com you are supporting local business in Milpitas. We are celebrating our 37th Anniversary and would like to thank the City of Milpitas for providing the updated information for our Official City Guide. The City Guide continues its tradition of giving its residents access to Community pages, providing valuable information on Milpitas’ city council, departments, commissions and a local contact list. This year's City Guide distribution is to Milpitas single family homes by request, as well as to Milpitas locations such as Huntford Printing, Dan Young Insurance, City Hall and the Milpitas Chamber of Commerce office. To request a Guide or an additional guide, call customer service at 925-550-5347 or by email to email@example.com. We know that the Milpitas City Guide and Business Directory will continue to be a useful tool to the citizens and merchants of Milpitas. Log on to our website at milpitasinfo.com for Milpitas news and business information. Thank you for shopping local! Sincerely,
Jimmy Chamoures Milpitas Publishing Corporation
2017-2018 Official Milpitas City Guide & Business Directory
Published annually since 1980 by The Milpitas Publishing Corporation & Huntford Printing Corp. P.O. Box 361313, 1313 N. Milpitas Blvd., Ste. 200, Milpitas, CA 95035 Phone 925-550-5347
For advertising information call 925-550-5347 www.milpitasinfo.com
C I T Y I N F O R M A T I O N
Mayor Rich Tran
Term Expires: Nov. 2020 (408) 586-3029 firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice Mayor Marsha Grilli
Term Expires: Nov. 2018 (408) 586-3031 Email: email@example.com
Councilmember Garry Barbadillo
Term Expires: Nov. 2018 (408) 586-3024 firstname.lastname@example.org
Councilmember Bob NuĂąez
Term Expires: Nov. 2020 408-586-3023 email@example.com
Councilmember Anthony Phan
Term Expires: Nov. 2020 408-586-3032 firstname.lastname@example.org
Map of Milpitas
FREMONT D. GR DIN AN N. MILP
L ON DIX
D. ITAS BLV
680 JACKLIN RD.
THY BLV AR D. MCC
S AN EV
. VE SA
D. LV SB
GREAT M AL
. DR IA CTOR
ITA ILP S. M
T. MAIN S
Frequently Asked Questions 455 E. Calaveras Blvd. Milpitas, CA 95035 (408) 586-3003 • www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/government/clerk Where is Milpitas City Hall? 455 E. Calaveras Blvd. at the intersection of N. Milpitas Blvd. Our phone number is 586-3000. Website: www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov. Where is the Milpitas Library? 160 N. Main Street. Where is the Milpitas Post Office? 450 S. Abel Street. I have a question about my water bill; how to start my water service; or how to disconnect my water service and receive a final bill. Who can I call? Our City’s Finance Department staff at 586-3100. You can also inquire at that number about obtaining a business license. What day is my trash and/or recycling pick up? Please call Republic Services to find out: 432-0444. Where can I report a fallen tree, cracked sidewalk, street light out or a water leak? Call our Public Works Department at 586-2600. Can I get a copy of my birth/marriage/ death certificate from the City Clerk? No. Those documents are available from the County Clerk - Recorder’s Office at 70 W. Hedding St. in San Jose. The phone number is 299-2481. Where can I find out about low-income housing opportunities in Milpitas? Call the City’s Principal Housing Planner at 586-3286. Where do I obtain or renew my Driver’s License? At the CA Department of Motor Vehicles. Call DMV at 1-800-777-0133, 2 DMV offices near Milpitas are: 111 Alma St., San Jose or 4287 Central Ave., Fremont. How do I get my passport from the City Clerk? You may apply for one at the City Clerk’s office, and the passport will be mailed to you. Call 586-3009 for information. How do I register to vote? Where do I vote? Register to vote on a postcard form by completing it and mailing it to the County Registrar of Voters. Call the Registrar at 299-8683 to find out where to vote. Where can I have my fingerprints taken,
or get a gun permit? Call the Milpitas Police Department’s business phone at 586-2400. I got a traffic ticket, so where do I pay for it or go to contest it? Call the County’s Traffic Court in San Jose at 808-3100.
What are the Hours for Passport Acceptance at the City Clerk’s Office? Monday through Friday: 9:00–11:00 am and 1:00-3:00 pm. Call 586-3001 for an appointment. No walk-ins accepted. How long does it take to get a passport? Routine Service takes 4 weeks. Expedite Service, using overnight mail in both directions, takes 2 weeks. Where can I renew my passport? If your current passport was issued less than 15 years ago and you were 16 years or older, you must renew by mail (applications are available at City Hall). What are the fees? Two separate fees are due at the time of application: 1) a “Passport Processing” fee paid to the U.S. Department of State and 2) an “Application Execution” fee paid to the City of Milpitas. Both must be paid by check or money order (no credit cards) when you come in to City Hall. What is an acceptable Birth Certificate for passport application process? A government issued (City, County or State Registry) original Birth Certificate (not a photocopy), which includes a raised seal. California Birth Abstracts or Hospital Birth Certificates are not acceptable. Where can I get more information? Call the Passport Hotline at (408) 5863009 or go to the website: www.travel. state.gov.
The City of Milpitas was incorporated as a “general law” city on January 26, 1954 and operates under the council/manager form of government. The Council, as the legislative body, represents the entire community and is empowered by the general laws of the State of California to formulate citywide policy. The community elects the Mayor for a two-year term and the four Council members are elected at large (by the entire City) to serve staggered four-year terms. Council elections are in November of even-numbered years. Citizens
• • • • • • • • • • • • •
Building & Safety City Clerk City Attorney Engineering Finance Fire Human Resources Information Services Recreation Services Planning & Neighborhood Services Police Public Works Purchasing
• Arts Commission • Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Commission • Emergency Preparedness Commission • Community Advisory Commission • Economic Development Commission • Library Advisory Commission • Mobile Home Park Rental Review Board • Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Commission • Planning Commission • Recycling & Source Reduction Advisory Commission • Senior Advisory Commission • Sister Cities Commission • Telecommunications Commission • Youth Advisory Commission • Veterans Commission
Get Involved! One of the greatest assets the City of Milpitas has is its people, especially those who devote their skills, knowledge, experiences and time to serving their community. One of the ways in which residents can serve the community is by becoming a member of one of the Commissions, which serve as advisory bodies to the City Council. If you are interested in serving your community please complete the Commission Application and mail it to: City Clerk’s Office 455 E. Calaveras Blvd. Milpitas, CA 95035 Commission Applications are available on the City’s website: www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov. For more information, call City Hall at (408) 586-3000.
The City of Milpitas is made of several departments. Each department has specific duties and tasks that are important to the overall operation of the city. These departments provide essential day-to-day services to residents and businesses in the Milpitas community.
Building & Safety
(408) 586-3240 Responsible for implementation of safety and quality standards in construction, providing Inspection Services, Plan Checking, Building Administration and a Permit Center. (408) 586-3040 Provides general legal advice and services, prepares or approves ordinances, resolutions, agreements and amendments thereto and also represents the City in litigation.
(408) 586-3003 Serves as the legislative administrator, elections official, and records manager for the City.
(408) 586-3050 Provides the administration of City government and recommends strategies and solutions to issues for Council consideration.
(408) 586-3300 Provides professional management and review of new facilities. The divisionâ€™s functions include: Special (RDA) Projects, Design & Construction, Land Development, Traffic, Utilities and Solid Waste Services.
(408) 586-3100 Provides management of the Cityâ€™s financial operations. Finance is organized into four divisions; Administration, Accounting Services, Fiscal Services and Purchasing. (408) 586-2800 Provides full response, preparedness, and prevention services. The response and preparedness division handles emergency incidents, safety, training, para-medicine compliance, and disaster preparedness functions. The fire prevention division handles fire plans and permits, hazardous materials regulation, inspections and investigations.
(408) 586-3090 Provides recruitment, benefits administration, a self funded workersâ€™ compensation program, labor negotiations, administration of memorandum of understanding with the various employee groups, employee relations, the safety program, compliance with State and Federal employment laws, training and maintenance of personnel systems and files.
7 Information Services
(408) 586-2700 Management of technology projects, the City’s technical architecture and infrastructure, providing automation support and training development, support of the City’s web site, Cable TV channel, AM radio station and public-access TV studio, implementation and support of security access systems and all automated data systems. Additionally, Information Services is responsible for the City’s public information function.
Planning & Neighborhood Services
(408) 586-3273 Reviews land development applications and environmental assessments, insures compliance and provides information on ordinances and policies, maintains the City’s general plan, specific plans and zoning ordinance, insures that residential, commercial and industrial properties are maintained in accordance with city regulations, operates programs for housing, neighborhood beautification, administers the Community Development Block Grant program, and oversees services provided by outside agencies such as fair housing and animal control.
(408) 586-2400 Keeps the peace and prevents and controls crime. The Department’s nine functions include: Administration, Patrol, Traffic, Crossing Guards, Community Relations, Investigations, Communications, Records and Personnel and Training.
(408) 586-2600 Provides maintenance of City infrastructure, vehicles, equipment, City buildings and facilities.
(408) 586-3161 A division of the Finance Department, Purchasing provides a full range of procurement services, maintains a central stores warehouse, oversees the sale of the City’s surplus property, provides the City’s internal mail service and administers the stockless office supplies warehousing program.
(408) 586-3210 Provides recreational opportunities, parks and facilities for all residents of Milpitas, while preserving and enhancing our city resources.
Visit the website for more information: www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov. All phone numbers listed below have a (408) area code.
Building & Safety
Building Inspection Requests Building Permits
586-2797 586-3240 586-3040
Emergencies – 24/7 Engineering
Finance Department Business License
Earthquake Safety Information 586-2810 Emergencies – 24/7 Fire Prevention
Office of Emergency Services
General Information Human Resources Library
586-3000 586-3090 262-1171
Recreation Services & Community Center
Sal Cracolice Recreation Facility, Senior Center Sports Center
Planning & Neighborhood Services
586-3161 586-3210 586-3210 586-3400 586-3225 586-3279
Housing Rehab Loan Program Junk Cars/Private Property
Planning & Zoning Police
Business & Services Crime Tip Line
Emergencies – 24/7 Notice
Billing & Services
586-2400 586-2500 9-1-1
Household Dump Day
Collection– Residential Reduce, Reuse Info
Rates / Billing / Info
Emergency (after hours)
Volunteer Services Water
Billing Questions Water Hotline
Water Emergencies 8am–5pm Mon–Fri Water Emergencies After Hours
586-3100 586-2400 586-3207 586-2600
586-3100 586-2605 586-2600 586-2400
Water Quality Questions
Important Addresses City Hall 455 E. Calaveras Blvd. Senior Center 40 N. Milpitas Blvd. Community Center 457 E. Calaveras Blvd. Sports Center 1325 E. Calaveras Blvd. Library 160 N. Main St. Police Department 1275 N. Milpitas Blvd. Fire Department 777 S. Main St.