Nathan M. Johnson, Sr.
Dear Friends, Over the years, Betsy Johnson Hospital has been blessed with great leadership. Many people in our communities have given years of their time to serve others, to make sure that healthcare was available locally, and to take care of people when they are sick. As we at Harnett Health System continue transforming healthcare in Harnett County, we remember how we started 75 years ago... through the vision of one selfless man, Nathan M. Johnson, Sr., who put the community’s needs above all else. His act of compassion has impacted the community beyond what he could ever imagine. The hospital he helped start in 1937 has grown into a healthcare system with two hospitals, five physician practices, and three outpatient centers - and growing. Harnett Health is one of the county’s largest employers. With the opening of Central Harnett Hospital in Lillington, the company will employ approximately 1,000 people system-wide. Additionally, new services are being brought into the area so that people don’t have to travel to Raleigh for quality specialty medical care. And we’ll be adding 48 new primary care and specialty physicians to our medical staff in the upcoming years. Jobs, access to quality care, and a healthcare network for people in the community regardless of race, creed or their ability to pay: the lasting impact on what Mr. Johnson began cannot be understated. We are so blessed by what the Johnson family has done; therefore, we proudly dedicate this commemorative booklet to the family of Nathan M. Johnson, Sr. Sincerely,
Kenneth Bryan, FACHE President and CEO
This is a true story. A story told, not because its a part of Dunn’s history, but because it offers us a look at a man whose determination and drive were beyond extraordinary. A man who, without hesitation, would do whatever was needed to better Dunn and improve the lives of those who lived here. Not for a brief amount of time, not for single task, but throughout an entire lifetime. That man is Nathan M. Johnson, Sr. The time was 1929, in the early years of the Great Depression. One cold, cloudy winter morning in Dunn, Robert P. Holding and Nathan Johnson had scheduled an important early meeting at Mr. Johnson’s office. When Mr. Holding looked out the window from his home in Smithfield and saw that it was snowing, he thought Mr. Johnson wouldn’t be available for their 5 a.m. meeting. But then after thinking further about Mr. Johnson’s character, Mr. Holding decided he should head to Dunn and keep the appointment. After a precarious drive, he turned toward Johnson Cotton Company and saw a small light shining in the window. He knew immediately that the commitment of Mr. Johnson was greater than he could have imagined in a businessman. The meeting would be of significant importance to the town of Dunn for the two men were meeting to establish the first branch of First Citizen’s Bank outside of Smithfield. Mr. Holding had instructed Mr. Johnson to have $25,000 available initially from investors and 6-10 people from the community ready to make additional $50, $100, and $200 commitments. Mr. Johnson had everything he needed to fulfill his part of the deal as promised, and First Citizens Bank in Dunn was formed in spite of snow, cold, lean and tough times. Two men of vision with willing spirits came together that day to go beyond creating just a bank, but a resource center for all to conduct business and make things happen for the good of the community. Overcoming significant obstacles, these two men had accomplished what many would have thought impossible.
k c a b k o o l a
The year is 1937.
Dunn has grown from a small railroad stop into an active, thriving city.
Yet within Harnett County, there is only one hospital â€” a hospital that exclusively treats patients working or associated with Erwin Mills.
From one man comes an anonymous gift. A new community hospital to provide for the people and the growing population. A hospital open to everyone â€” regardless of race, creed, color or ability to pay.
From that gift begins a family legacy. A lifelong commitment to ensure the vision realized by Nathan M. Johnson, Sr. serves for decades to come.
Hospital Board of Trustees
A History of Betsy Johnson Hospital The following year, the hospital board of trustees needed additional funds beyond the original donation to construct the hospital. The trustees petitioned the Public Works Administration (PWA), a federal agency, for additional funds. After inquiry to the PWA, trustees discovered that funding could only be given to a public body. Therefore, they asked the Harnett County Commissioners to assume responsibility of the proposed hospital. County commissioners were not interested in building or operating a hospital at that time; however, a legal agreement was reached by hospital trustees and county commissioners wherein Dunn Hospital, Inc. would turn over to the county all the assets of the corporation so the county could apply for the PWA funding to begin construction.
The first step to establish a modern hospital in Dunn began in August 1937 when an anonymous businessman enlisted the aid of his two dearest friends, Mr. Marvin Wade, Sr. and Mr. R. Williams to appear before the County Board of Education to negotiate for a lot on Benson Highway where the old high school stood at 201 N. Ellis Avenue. The men announced to the board that a local citizen of Dunn had generously donated $50,000 for the building of a hospital on that property and wanted to remain anonymous. On October 22, 1937, Mr. Wade, Dr. J.R. Johnson, and E.P. Davis traveled to Raleigh to establish Dunn Hospital, Inc. as a non-stock corporation. The official charter was granted on October 28, 1937 by Secretary of State Thad Eure. According to the original charter, Dunn Hospital was established for the examination, diagnosis and treatment of patients by skilled physicians and surgeons and was to have adequate skilled nursing staff. The charter further stated “that the corporation was to have no capital stock and is not organized for the purpose of profit or gain.” The corporation was to only have nine directors who shall constitute and be known as the Board of Trustees. That November, the Harnett County Board of Education approved the sale of the lot along North Ellis Avenue to Dunn Hospital, Inc. for $100. The wheels were now beginning to turn, and in December, Mr. Wade was elected as president of the Dunn Hospital Association (he would later become chairman of the hospital committee for the county).
— 1930s — On August 2, 1938, a PWA grant of $54,000 was announced from Washington, D.C. and construction on the hospital was set to begin September 1, 1938. The Board of Trustees opened bids for construction. Byrd Brothers and Shaw of Lillington received the bid. Construction on the new hospital started on October 5, 1938 and was completed in August 1939. PWA officials, county commissioners and trustee members surveyed the building for the final inspection. Local newspapers announced that the PWA had turned the hospital over to Harnett County, and opening of the $125,000 facility would be within a few weeks. The Harnett County Medical Society and local physicians interested in practicing at the new facility began meeting to establish practice guidelines. In November 1939, PWA officials reported to Harnett County Commissioners and trustees of Dunn Hospital, Inc. that the original plans might not comply with the federal law and regulation of the PWA.
In order to complete the building and to add a solarium, the anonymous donor made yet another gifts of $14,978.20. Upon completion of the new construction, the corporation agreed to take back the hospital and relieve the county of financial responsibility. Plans for a modern three-story building were announced to the public and submitted to PWA for approval. According to the architectural plan, the first floor would include a business office, x-ray, operating room, delivery room, waiting room for visitors and seven patient beds. The second floor would contain four private rooms, four semi-private rooms and two wards. And the third floor would house six private beds, six nursery bassinets, four laboratory rooms and a solarium.
E.P. Davis J.R. Johnson, MD Marvin Wade, Sr.
Hospital Board of Trustees
A History of Betsy Johnson Hospital In February 1940, PWA officials announced that the government would continue to withhold the federal grant of $54,000 until the obligation of the county to any private corporation had been completely extinguished. The Administration ruled that public money could not be invested in a private corporation and would refuse to allow the hospital opening until assurance was furnished that the county will own, manage and control the new hospital. Thought PWA had already paid $42,000 to the county for building costs, it would withhold the final payment of $12,000 until the county agreed to meet the required recommendations of the PWA.
plan, the county commissioners would appoint trustees and directors for the newly named Harnett County Hospital. The following month, county commissioners passed a resolution that the hospital must be self-supporting and that no levy could be made on the county’s general fund to operate the hospital. The final loan payment from PWA was received in September, and county commissioners announced the hospital opening on October 1, 1940. After almost a year of controversy, the hospital was finally opened to receive its first patients. Physicians and nurses were already on staff ready to care for patients, and Harrell Pope was appointed the first Administrator of the new hospital. The 72-bed facility would be recognized for the treatment of medical and surgical cases.
At this time, there were no sufficient funds to repay the loan. The county submitted to PWA officials a plan to retain ownership of the hospital but lease the hospital to Dunn Hospital, Inc. However, the PWA refused to allow the county to lease the hospital to Dunn Hospital, Inc. Local newspapers reported that an anonymous donor or donors in Dunn had made it known to certain trustees that they would repay the $42,000 to PWA if no other solution could be agreed upon. The fate of the hospital appeared uncertain.
— 1940s — Ten years after the charter was established, the original anonymous donor wanted the facility returned to Dunn Hospital, Inc. so he could help contribute and help enlarge the facility. He agreed to pay back the original loan of $54,000 to PWA if the county would return the hospital through a legislative act to Dunn Hospital, Inc. This was completed and the ownership was returned to the corporation. The hospital’s census continued to grow, and an expansion of the hospital was desperately needed.
The very first week of its opening, the hospital board of trustees faced a huge financial problem: no funds were allotted for operation. Because of the terms of the original loan by PWA, private individuals were unable to contribute to the hospital, therefore, hospital board members went to the county and asked for $5,000 for operating expenses until the hospital could become self-sustaining. Commissioners agreed to borrow $3,000 from a state fund to aid the hospital for original operating expenses, and the hospital was able to operate as a selfsustaining organization, receiving no additional money from the county.
Dunn Hospital’s Board of Trustees released all rights, title and interest of the institution to Harnett County in June 1940 as required by PWA officials. County Commissioners submitted a plan to PWA officials in July that the hospital would remain under the control of the county and that it would not lease it to any private corporation. Under the
L.R. Byrd R.L. Cromartie, Jr. Buck Currin E.P. Davis Lillie Davis J.B. Ennis Fred Fleming, MD Rev. Thomas W. Fryer J.R. Johnson, MD A.R. McQueen W.E. Nichols Myres W. Tilghman H.M. Tyler Marvin Wade, Sr. Wilma Williams
Hospital Board of Trustees — 1950s — C.W. Bannerman J.R. Byrd L.R. Byrd C.L. Corbett R.L. Cromartie, Jr. J.B. Ennis Fred Fleming, MD H.L. Greene C.D. Hutaff, Sr. Gale D. Johnson, MD J.R. Johnson, MD A.R. McQueen W.E. Nichols L.A. Tart, Sr. Myres W. Tilghman H.M. Tyler Earl McD. Westbrook Wilma Williams
A History of Betsy Johnson Hospital In 1952, a change by the federal government regarding the requirements for a PWA loan allowed the board of trustees the opportunity to request $54,000 in funding for facility expansion. They were awarded the funding. At the same time the anonymous donor contributed $65,000 to completely pay for a new wing to be added to the hospital. So many people had worked together for two decades to see this hospital to fruition, and it was clear how important it was that this hospital remained viable. Volunteers of the hospital formally organized the Dunn Hospital Auxiliary in 1955 and held their inaugural meeting at the Dunn City Hall Courtroom. The founding executive committee included Mrs. Pat Lynch (Chairman), Mrs. Young, (Vice Chairman), Mrs. Otis Warren (Treasurer), and Mrs. J.R. Johnson (Secretary). People were serving the hospital in all capacities, and public support was strong. Yet nearly twenty years later, the donor who conceived the idea for this hospital remained unknown. In 1956, the hospital board members convinced the anonymous donor to make his identity known to the public and confirmed that they would honor his most intimate wish - that the hospital be named after his mother. On December 21, 1956, that became a reality. On that momentous day, the name of the 85-bed Dunn Hospital was changed to Betsy Johnson Memorial Hospital to honor the memory of the mother of Nathan M. Johnson, Sr., a prominent Dunn businessman who owned Johnson Cotton Company. Myres Tilghman, chairman of the board of trustees, revealed to the public that Mr. Nathan Johnson, Sr. was the man who gave so much to the hospital. Nathan Johnson died on June 30, 1959 in an automobile accident just two and a half years after the hospital was named after his beloved mother. While some reports state that his final trip to Lillington was nothing out of the ordinary, another account tells of a man who was heading to help a friend in crisis. Without Mr. Johnson’s generous interest and concern for the well-being of individuals in Dunn and in the surrounding communities, Betsy Johnson Hospital would only be a dream and not the cornerstone of its community today. 8
Hospital Board of Trustees — 1960s — Louis Baer C.W. Bannerman W.C. Bannerman C.W. Byrd, MD J.R. Byrd L.R. Byrd George Carroll C.L. Corbett W.L. Corbin R.L. Cromartie, Jr. J.B. Ennis Fred Fleming, MD H.L. Greene J. Howard Hardy C.D. Hutaff, Sr. Gale D. Johnson, MD J.R. Johnson, MD A.R. McQueen Rev. G.D. McNeil, Jr. W.E. Nichols Marvin Raynor R.G. Roach Henry H. Sandlin L.A. Tart, Sr. Granville Tilghman Myres W. Tilghman H.M. Tyler Earl McD. Westbrook Wilma Williams
A History of Betsy Johnson Hospital During the early years of the 1960s, the hospital’s occupancy rate surged to an average 96%, and 100% during winter months. Many patients were put on a waiting list for beds while the local newspaper reported that “seven patients were turned away today because there were no beds.” It was clear that the hospital had exceeded capacity and needed more beds and more space. Services such as radiology and laboratory also had outgrown their designated areas. In response to the demand for more physical space, hospital trustees and the Dunn Town Board reached a mutual agreement to allow for all hospital property and assets to go to the Town of Dunn, provided the town would agree upon a $550,000 bond issue for expansion.
On March 28th, the residents let their voice be heard. The Dunn community stepped forward and overwhelmingly approved the $550,000 bond issue by 91%, elating Dunn officials and hospital board members.
died in his sleep. Mr. Tilghman served on the Betsy Johnson Memorial Hospital Board for 26 years, the last 15 as chairman. He was instrumental in the construction of the new hospital, but sadly wouldn’t see its completion before his his death.
For the next several years, the construction of the new hospital faced hurdles, but ground finally broke in 1967 for the new 117-bed hospital on a 35-acre tract of land where it sits today.
Shortly after the passing of Mr. Tilghman, the new 115-bed hospital welcomed patients from the local community and the surrounding regions.
The following summer, on August 31, 1968, Myres Winston Tilghman - husband of Nathan Johnson’s daughter, Meda -
Plans were sent to the North Carolina Medical Care Commission for expansion of the current hospital. However, the commission denied the request, recommending instead that a new 115-bed hospital be built rather than an expansion of the existing structure. But a new hospital would be $2 million and the hospital board members were faced with the dilemma of how to raise the remaining revenue. The Board of Trustees then proposed the following plan of action: • the Board could apply for $1,138,500 through the Hill-Burton Fund • the hospital had the ability to advance $200,000 from revenue • the hospital’s trust fund had $60,000 accessible for the project. This money was available, but one problem still existed. All of the above money was dependent on the passage of a $550,000 bond issue by the citizens of Dunn. The loyalty of the citizens would truly be tested. On February 3, 1964, Dunn’s Board of Commissioners, in cooperation with the hospital board of trustees, agreed to promote plans for a $550,000 bond. Campaign offices were set up at 206 E. Cumberland Street to assure that every resident was fully informed of the plans for the new 115-bed hospital. The campaign was very elaborate and enlisted an estimated 322 volunteers. Clarence Lee Tart was selected to be General Chairman for the project.
Hospital Board of Trustees — 1970s — Louis Baer C.W. Bannerman Clyde L. Brooks William O. Cameron George Carroll C.L. Corbett W.L. Corbin R.L. Cromartie, Jr. L.R. Doffermyre, MD Wesley C. Fowler H.L. Greene J. Howard Hardy John Ingraham Gale D. Johnson, MD J.R. Johnson, MD William C. Marshburn Rev. G.D. McNeil, Jr. Patrick H. Pope Marvin Raynor R.G. Roach Henry H. Sandlin Granville Tilghman
A History of Betsy Johnson Hospital The loss of Myres Tilghman was felt for years to come. The community felt strongly that his contributions should be formally recognized. In 1973, the professional offices adjacent to Betsy Johnson Memorial Hospital were named in his honor. Additionally, the name of the road on which the hospital fronts would become Tilghman Drive. As the community continued to flourish, healthcare needs continued to increase, and the hospital was outgrowing itself once again. Much-needed expansion began in 1977. The $800,000 construction project was financed by hospital funds, the City of Dunn and a $90,000 Duke Endowment Grant. The expansion included the addition of two operating rooms and a ten-bed recovery room, plus an expansion to the emergency department.
Hospital Board of Trustees
A History of Betsy Johnson Hospital
Since the mid 1960s, the hospital had survived on patient bills being paid by the government through the Medicare and Medicaid program. However, the 1980s saw a change in the way the government would pay these bills. A new bill payment system was put in place which tremendously decreased the amount the government would pay for hospital services for patients with Medicare and Medicaid. Even with limited financial resources, the 1980s saw many positive transformations at the hospital, including the opening of an obstetrics center, a physical therapy department which enabled the hospital to reach out to nursing home patients, and a specialized pediatric care program. The diagnostic imaging department purchased an ultrasound, free-standing mammography unit, and a CT Scanner. To support the addition and expansion of services, the hospital board began a very aggressive recruiting campaign, which resulted in successfully recruiting two pediatricians, two obstetrician/gynecologists, two internists, one general surgeon, one urologist, one anesthesiologist, two family physicians and five radiologists. The tremendous growth in services demanded the hospital add more space, but revenue was a challenge. The board of trustees, along with the City Council of Dunn, asked the voters to provide $3.5 million in general obligation bonds for the expansion and modernization of Betsy Johnson Memorial Hospital. The hospital would provide $1.5 million from operations to cover the total cost of the $5 million project. On October 6, 1987, the voters were once again asked to support the hospital, and they responded 80% in favor.
— 1980s — J. David Allison, MD Floyd C. Bowen, Jr Clyde L. Brooks D. Gregory Brooks Gregory Brooks William O. Cameron Charlie Carpenter Richard Carr Walter Dafford W. Ray Daniels F.X. Fallon, MD Keith G. Finch Doug Godwin Oscar Harris Gale D. Johnson, MD Leona Johnson William C. Marshburn Grady McNeill Oscar McPherson Mark Pabst, MD Paul Perry Patrick H. Pope Hollis J. Rippy Richard G. Roach Pete Skinner Arvle E. Tart Gordon L. Townsend, DDS Irvin Warren Delmon F. Williamson Michael J. Zich, MD
Hospital Board of Trustees
A History of Betsy Johnson Hospital After much public discussion and in response to the Hospital Study Commission’s recommendation, on July 11, 1996, the Dunn City Council authorized the transfer of the hospital to a private, not-for-profit corporation governed by a board of trustees, with the restriction that the hospital assets must be operated for not-for-profit purposes.
In the 1990s, hospital leaders continued to offer new services, recruit physicians, and even begin a new volunteer chaplaincy program. With the introduction of managed care contracts, insurance companies were able to dictate where patients could be treated and how much hospitals could charge for services. Nationwide, healthcare providers faced budget challenges that restricted revenue for new growth. As a result, the healthcare industry became very competitive across the country, and smaller, community hospitals began to close or be taken over by larger systems and restructured.
— 1990s — years, including a complete renovation to the inpatient units, opening a convenience care area, adding speech and occupational therapy, expanding outpatient surgery to include an endoscopic suite, and constructing additional medical office buildings, allowing newly recruited physicians the opportunity to practice medicine at Betsy Johnson Regional Hospital. During this flourishing time, plans for a wellness center were also being developed.
This arrangement would allow the hospital board of trustees the power to make decisions without going through the City Council, but the hospital would still belong to the citizens of Dunn. In exchange, the City of Dunn would receive $2 million. Additionally, the hospital would pay the city $250,000 per year for city services. Trustees also paid back $2.3 million in taxes to taxpayers, and with the stipulation that the hospital would remain under local control with the same services, and if the hospital should ever liquidate its assets, it would return to the City of Dunn. This agreement allowed the hospital to expand its services to meet the ever-changing demands of healthcare. Had it not been for this strong leadership and community support, the future of the hospital could have been in jeopardy.
Locally, the impact of managed care contracts put the hospital in a difficult position. Under the existing lease arrangement between the city and the hospital, any financial decisions for Betsy Johnson Memorial Hospital must be presented to the Dunn City Council for approval. This arrangement hindered the hospital’s ability to compete effectively with other healthcare providers. Realizing the hospital needed relief, the Dunn City Council created a 15-member Hospital Study Commission on September 7, 1995 to review the issues surrounding the future disposition of Betsy Johnson Memorial Hospital. The following June, the commission recommended to the Dunn City Council that Betsy Johnson Memorial Hospital be conveyed by the City of Dunn to a private, not-for-profit operation to be controlled by the hospital’s board of trustees.
In 1997, the hospital changed its name to Betsy Johnson Regional Hospital to signify its expanding service region of Harnett, Sampson, Johnston and Cumberland counties. The trustees succeeded in increasing services and recruiting physicians to the area during the next four
Ernest J. Alphin Wayne T. Barbour Vivian W. Bennett Mary W. Dafford Abe Elmore Keith G. Finch Joseph M. Giles, Jr. T. C. Godwin, Jr. Patrick Gray, MD Betty M. Johnson Shepherd Massey Carlie C. McLamb Carlyle McLamb Oscar McPherson Donnie G. Olds Mark Pabst, MD Daryl Padgett Patrick H. Pope Carnell Robinson Charles L. Skinner Larry E. Spell Jane A. Tart Ann C. Taylor Larry Thomas Ray A. Weeks
Hospital Board of Trustees
A History of Betsy Johnson Hospital However, the 21st Century offered challenges for hospitals across the country as they struggled to deal with significantly lower reimbursements by the government and insurance companies. While facing this decline in payment, community hospitals were trying to figure out how to be competitive among the large metropolitan medical centers that offer advanced technologies such as robotics and minimally invasive procedures. Hospitals began looking towards one another for ways to work together, and partnerships became the norm in the healthcare industry. Smaller hospitals began finding ways to offer their communities the services needed locally by using the resources of the larger systems.
The dawn of a new century provided opportunities for growth: The hospital opened a new 12,000 square foot state-of-the art Rehab/Wellness Center and completed a $2 million surgery department renovation which included four replacement operating suites and pre-op and post-op outpatient recovery rooms. A new $24 million patient tower opened at Betsy Johnson Hospital, bringing the total amount of private beds from 45 to 101. The 64,000+ square-foot four-story patient tower included 68 private rooms with private bath accommodations, 6 labor and delivery suites, baby nursery, gift shop, and cafeteria. Additional renovations of more than 34,000 square-feet included 18 recovery and postpartum rooms, 6 newly designed intensive care units (ICU), surgery waiting areas, pharmacy and medical records. And a new, state-of-the-art, fixed MRI unit was installed.
— 2000s — on the third floor. Additionally, the value of the “system” was becoming a reality as a new physicians’ network was forming as primary care practices owned by Harnett Health were opening. But the most significant accomplishment for Harnett Health during this time was being awarded a Certificate of Need (CON) in 2006 to build a hospital in the central part of Harnett County. Harnett Health could now build a second hospital for its community in the fast growing western part of the county while Betsy Johnson Hospital continued caring for its established patient base. Plans for this new two-story hospital in Lillington included 50 inpatient beds, 13 treatment bays in the emergency department, medical imaging, MRI, cardiovascular diagnostics, outpatient surgical services, a full-service laboratory, pharmacy, inpatient rehab services, and food and nutrition services. The construction of the new hospital would continue into the 2010s.
In 2005, Betsy Johnson Regional Hospital moved forward in transitioning from a regional hospital to a healthcare system that would become more than just one hospital. “Harnett Health System” was established to expand services to central and western areas of Harnett County. Protecting its future in an ever-changing industry, Harnett Health entered into a management agreement with WakeMed Health & Hospitals to take advantage of the resources available by the larger system. The first joint service between Harnett Health and WakeMed was a much-needed outpatient cardiac rehabilitation program, opened in 2006.
As Betsy Johnson Hospital experienced a continual increase in emergency patients, expansion yet again was greatly needed. A 5,800 square-foot emergency department construction/renovation project created a total of 25 ER treatment rooms, an additional nurses’ station, two new triage areas, and a new entrance and waiting room. Additionally, the Betsy Johnson Regional Hospital Foundation was established to improve the health and comfort of the people in the communities served by the hospital, generating support for needed facility development and state-of-the-art equipment.
Harnett Health continued to grow. The inpatient pediatric unit was moved to the second floor of Betsy Johnson Hospital, and the inpatient surgical specialty unit opened
David J Allison MD Ernest J. Alphin Wayne T. Barbour Vivian W. Bennett Barbara Bethea, MD Dewey Blalock Teddy Byrd Mary W. Dafford Brent R. Ellmers, MD Ted C. Fitzgerald Joseph M. Giles, Jr. T. C. Godwin, Jr. Patrick Gray, MD Betty M. Johnson H. West Lawson, MD Thomas C.Y. Lee, MD Manuel Lopez, MD Ron Maddox, PharmD Walter A Massey, Sr. Jim McCormick Carlie C. McLamb Donnie G. Olds Robert Poe, MD Patrick H. Pope Wiley Pope Venkat L. Prasad, MD Venkata S. Sanka, MD Dwight W. Snow Cornelia Stewart Jane A. Tart Ray A. Weeks Walter Weeks, Jr. Heather H. Williams Thomas Womble
Hospital Board of Trustees — Current — Ernest J. Alphin Barbara Bethea, MD Dewey Blalock Teddy Byrd H. West Lawson, MD Ron Maddox, PharmD Jim McCormick Wiley Pope Cornelia Stewart Walter Weeks, Jr. Heather H. Williams
THE FUTURE of harnett health system What began “simply” a single hospital 75 years ago has prospered into a network of healthcare providers today. As we continue to grow in the new decade, Harnett Health has three key areas of focus that mirror Mr. Johnson’s vision: •
Access to care - Harnett Health physicians’ network now totals 5 primary care practices, and we will open a Wound Care Center in the Spring of 2013. We continue to expand access to care by recruiting new physicians to our area and will recruit 48 new primary care and specialty physicians over the next decade.
• Community Partnerships - Because the strength of our community depends on the strength of the relationships with key stakeholders, we continue to partner with Campbell School of Osteopathic Medicine and Central Carolina Community College. These relationships ensure our community will have the doctors, nurses, and medical personnel needed for our future.
Betsy Johnson Hospital today.
• Economic Development - Harnett Health is the third largest employer in the area, and our local economic impact exceeds $200 million each year. In the past seven years, Harnett Health has added over 200 jobs and recruited nearly 40 new physicians. By the end of 2013, the system will employ over 1,000 people.
As we reflect back on our history, we applaud our beginnings. The vision of one man. Continued by members of his family. A man whose love of community forever changed our lives. From the beginings of a single hospital to a thriving healthcare system. A healthcare system that will nurture and service hundreds of thousands in the coming years. Looking ahead, we realize the vision of Nathan M. Johnson, Sr. has only yet begun.
The opening of Central Harnett Hospital on January 18, 2013 has been a community effort that will soon become a reality.
The children of Bessie and NathanM. Johnson, Sr.
Johnson Family Members who resided as Hospital Attorneys Jim M. (Rock) Johnson 1959-1968 Everette Doffermyre 1968 -1974 Randy Doffermyre 1974 -1994
Meda Johnson Tilghman Family
Helen Johnson Wade Family
Nathan M. Johnson Family
Gale D. Johnson Family
Elaine Johnson Purdie Family
Granville Tilghman Dianne Tilghman Anna Tilghman Myres Tilghman Johnson Tilghman Winston Tilghman Meda Tilghman Williams Mary Pope Tilghman Pope Wiley Pope
Ashley Gallagher Fred Michaels Paige Burkes Allan Burkes
Betsy Johnson McLean Grey McLean N. Manly Johnson III Nathan Manly Johnson IV Robert Samuel Johnson Lee Best Johnson Lenore Johnson Karen Johnson Horne Rebekah Johnson Page Lee Best Johnson, Jr. Anna Johnson Cherry Johnson Ennis Lauren Ennis Walker Caroline Ennis
Gale Johnson Tyler Gale Johnson Julie Johnson Martha Pope Alex Pope Natalie Pope Kayla Pope Elizabeth Pope Mariah Rabb Anna Rabb Mills Mary Josephine Rabb Alcy Johnson
Wes Purdie John Purdie Charles Purdie David Purdie Shaler Chewning Elaine Jr., Russell W. Boyd Russell Kevin Russell Beverly Russell Alwin Robert Alwine Tom Purdie
Johnson Family Members residing on the Hospital Foundation Board Paula Pope 2005 - 2012
The children of Bessie and NathanM. Johnson, Sr.
Mary Lide Johnson Doffermyre Family Randy Doffermyre Thayer Doffermyre Van Horn Everette Doffermyre Julia Doffermyre Green William Doffermyre Randolph Doffermyre Meda Lide Doffermyre Mary Lide Parker Austin Parker
Jackie Johnson Bissette Family
James M. Johnson Family
Jackie Bissette Mack D. Bissette Johnson Bissette Madison Bissette Kim Bissette Jim Bissette Rebecca H. Bissette
James M. Johnson Lisa Johnson Bondurant Morrison Johnson Laura Johnson Frey Allen Johnson
Betsy Johnson â€” Mother of Nathan M. Johnson, Sr. Thank you to the Johnson Family members who provided the list of family names. If we have omitted anyone in our booklet, we sincerely apologize. So that we can keep our history as accurate as possible, please contact our Public Relations department with any changes at (910) 892-1000 extension 4960.
In 1937, Dunn businessman Nathan M. Johnson, Sr., believed quality healthcare should be made available for all people, regardless of race, creed, color or ability to pay. His foresight and efforts founded Dunnâ€™s first hospital â€” later named in memory of his mother, betsy. 75 years later, Betsy Johnson Hospital proudly continues the strong tradition of quality and compassion that was first envisioned by Nathan M. Johnson, Sr. through Harnett Health System.
The 75th Anniversary Memorial History Brochure