Page 1

Josh Douglas

Brief & Concept

Edible Type Poster

Brief This brief was another quick turn around project. We were set the challenge of producing a poster to advertise the annual edible type competition at the College. There were no restrictions for this brief so I was able to produce something completely different to what I am used to. I took it as an opportunity to work in a different style and create something completely different to the standard poster.

Concept As the competition is obviously about edible type, I decided the best option would be to create a poster which is actually made out of edible items. I also thought about what kind of games / competitions involve words and immediately thought of a word search. There is something about the composition of a word search which has a strong visual impact, with this in mind I decided to create an edible word search which displays the relevant information.


Development

Josh Douglas

Edible Type Poster

Production

Development

The first poster I created for the pitch was a rough concept idea I through together, I did not use a strict grid to start with and was unfortunate enough to only get one ‘T’ from a bag of 300 grams, this meant I had to Photoshop in the missing T’s into the poster which looked quite sloppy.

At first I added a digital element In order to ring the appropriate words in the puzzle, but found this spoilt the composition. I decided the best option would be to stick with edible items, I ended up using strawberry boot laces on the poster, This gives it that extra 3D quality which a digital line cannot.


Development & Documentation

Josh Douglas

Edible Type Poster

Final Poster After finding out I was in charge of the branding for the edible type competition I decided to re create my poster but in a much neater manor. I ventured on back to the market to secure my much needed ‘T’s’. Once I had all the necessary components I recreated the poster, I drew out a grid to work from with 3cm x 3cm squares then began sticking on each of the letters with glue. Once they were all in place I experimented with boot laces chopping and sticking them in place.

Deliverable Change

Photographing

The original idea was to photograph the poster and get it printed on a large scale, but due to lack of printing slots we decided to just put the poster in a nice frame and leave it at that. If there had been more time it would of been nice to have a huge poster to go with it.

With help from Gretta I was able to get some really great detailed shots of my poster. We experimented with different lighting conditions in order to get the perfect image. I am really happy with how the poster has turned out and the photographs reflect the quality of the design.


Josh Douglas

Final Design

Edible Type Poster

Final Image

Summary

On the left you can see the final edited version of the poster, in order to make the letters pop off the page I experimented with the vibrancy of the image in order to create a contrast between the letters and the page. This small change makes a huge difference and gives a bit more life to the poster.

I found this brief to be quite fun. It was nice to work with a different medium and get away from the computer screen, it also taught me how big a difference grids make. Even though this is still not perfect set type you can really tell the difference when you follow some kind of guide lines.

The imagery works well to grab the viewers attention, the 3D quality of the poster gives it a unique identity and will hopefully spark some interaction.

I think the poster is a unique and interesting way to promote the competition. I would like to work this way again, using photography is an interesting way to convey information which I would like to experiment with more.

Edible type concept boards reduced  
Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you