The UNSURPASSED DIVERSITY that Botswana has to offer is best experienced ON THE MOVE!
MOBILE SAFARI EXPEDITIONS
Why travel to Botswana?
What is a mobile safari?
Where will I go?
• A truly PRISTINE WILDERNESS – wild and unspoilt. • The lush and fertile OKAVANGO DELTA. • The mysterious and compelling KALAHARI DESERT. • The GREATEST POPULATIONS OF ELEPHANT in Africa. • The LARGEST VARIETY of mammals in Africa. • A STABLE DEMOCRACY built on a sound economy.
A TRADITIONAL, BESPOKE, TENTED SAFARI CAMP WHICH CAN BE SET UP IN DIFFERENT LOCATIONS TO SUIT YOUR PACE & INTERESTS. A SAFE & SECURE WAY TO BE IMMERSED IN A WILD ENVIRONMENT.
CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING, OR COMBINE THEM WITH EACH OTHER AND OUR PERMANENT CAMPS:
• All the necessary comforts, conveniences and a few unexpected EXTRAS. • PRIVATE camps, private vehicles and private Guides. • The BEST LOCATIONS for the best wildlife experience. • ALL AGES are welcome.
GAME SAFARIS: • The Okavango Delta and Moremi Game Reserve • The Central Kalahari Game Reserve • Nxai Pan CULTURAL SAFARIS: • Kalahari Bushmen Safari • Initiation Hunt • Ancient Rock art of Tsodilo Hills
Where will I stay?
What will I eat?
• Traditional walk in MERU TENTS exude old fashioned charm. • Beds are replete with cool and CRUNCHY COTTON SHEETS, feather bedding and hot water bottles. • Each tent has an EN SUITE BATHROOM and FLUSH LOO. • As many hot or cold bucket showers as you would like are available at your request. • In by nine, back by five – BUSH LAUNDRY SERVICE!
• We are renowned for our DELICIOUS, FRESH and ORIGINAL MENUS. • Plated meals are ELEGANTLY PRESENTED & served. • Indulgent, DECADENT TEAS are served daily. • Please inform the Reservations Staff of any dietary requirements prior to travel – and confirm upon arrival.
What do I need to know?
What does the rate include?
• ALL AGES ARE WELCOME! • There are no electrical facilities available on our Mobile Safaris. • Camera batteries may however be charged using a 12 volt car battery. • The water in Botswana is SAFE TO DRINK. • Water is precious in the desert, so please try to conserve it.
• All MEALS, ACTIVITIES and DRINKS are included. • Flights, premium brand beverages and discretionary tips/gratuities are excluded.
THE OKAVANGO DELTA AND MOREMI GAME RESERVE
This pristine wilderness is teeming with game and has more wildlife species than anywhere else in Africa!
What will I do? MEKORO TRIPS - applies to 7 day itinerary. • Enjoy a relaxing MEKORO JOURNEY through the shallow channels of the Delta. • Admire RARE BIRDS and the diverse aquatic life. • Observe the SMALLEST SPECIES that make up this rich and unique ecosystem at eye level! • Meander through the MAZE OF CHANNELS, and learn about the ECOLOGY and important components of the ECOSYSTEM.
BOATING • Boat safaris allow us to reach REMOTE and pristine areas of the delta that are otherwise inaccessible. • View animals drinking from the river banks and ELEPHANT swimming and bathing. • Spot small CROCODILE basking in the sun and HIPPO jousting for territories. • PICNIC on a shady island.
• Enjoy an all DAY PREDATOR HUNT. • Track LION, CHEETAH, LEOPARD and WILD DOG. • Follow HYAENAS as they hopefully lead us to a kill! • Sit under a shady tree at a WATERHOLE and observe all day action.
• Tick off a vast number of species UNIQUE TO THE OKAVANGO DELTA such as the Slaty Egret, the Pel’s Fishing Owl and the African Skimmer. • Visit some of the LARGEST HERONRIES in the Southern Hemisphere where no less than 19 species make their nests and live in noisy harmony.
• Feast your eyes on huge herds of elephant Botswana has the LARGEST NUMBERS OF ELEPHANT IN AFRICA. • Spot unique AQUATIC ANTELOPE such as sitatunga and lechwe.
FLY CAMP • Depart from your tented camp and take a TWO DAY BOAT EXCURSION through the Okavango Delta to a remote and secluded island.
• Glide across the vast and GLASSY LAGOONS. • Wind your way up jungly channels to our SECRET SWIMMING SPOTS. • Watch a seemingly never-ending flight stream of incoming WATER BIRDS fly into their night time nesting sites silhouetted against an explosive sunset.
• Sleep out in the open in mosquito net tents outfitted with COTTON SHEETS, FEATHER BEDDING and HOT WATER BOTTLES. • Enjoy the same decadent THREE COURSE MEALS as are served in our tented safari camps. • Wash off the day under a STEAMING HOT BUCKET SHOWER.
THE CENTRAL KALAHARI GAME RESERVE Deception Valley in the Central Kalahari Game Reserve is one of the most remote areas in the Kalahari Desert. The Game Reserve is the second largest in Africa covering approximately 52,000 sq/km of pristine wilderness and is the largest open ecosystem remaining in Botswana. This area is a spectacular game viewing destination. To explore this area is to travel back to an Africa of another time!
What will I do? • Explore DECEPTION VALLEY. • Watch huge herds of GEMSBUCK, SPRINGBUCK, WILDEBEEST and HARTEBEEST attracted to the area by the sweet grasses that germinate after the summer rains. • Seek out KALAHARI LION, CHEETAH and meerkat. • Spot GIRAFFE, HONEY BADGERS, JACKAL and various small antelope.
• Marvel at the BREATHTAKING SCENERY of this special area. • Learn about the ECOLOGY of the Kalahari Desert and its unique wildlife. • Take an excursion to the PIPER PAN area searching for intriguing desert species. • Visit PASSARGE VALLEY in search of predators and prey. • Drive into the DUNES in search of rare flora and fauna.
NXAI PAN Historical baobabs, salt pans and 24 hour predator-prey interaction... Nxai Pan is part of a fossil lake that was, and is, part of the greater Makgadikgadi system, but quite unlike anywhere else in Botswana. Almost like a lost world, it is an island of relative plenty in a sea of parched and arid Kalahari sand.
What will I do?
• Visit the famous BAINES BAOBABS. • Explore the CRATER-LIKE NXAI PAN. • Observe large herds of MIGRATORY ZEBRA, wildebeest and springbuck. • Learn about the fascinating ARCHAEOLOGY and HISTORY of the area. • Spot UNIQUE DESERT SPECIES such as gemsbuck, bat-eared and Cape fox. • Take a gamedrive to KUDIAKAM PAN.
• Stake out desert waterholes and watch the day’s PREDATOR-PREY ACTION unfold. • Enjoy excellent predator sightings of LEOPARD, LION and CHEETAH. • Spot WILD DOG, caracal, black footed wildcat and African wildcat. • See herds of desert ELEPHANT and GIRAFFE.
KALAHARI BUSHMEN SAFARIS
An incredible opportunity to experience a dignified and sensitive Bushmen safari. The Bushmen people in conjunction with Uncharted Africa offer a fascinating insight into their unique way of life.
What will I do? • Visit the BUSHMEN VILLAGE and meet the elders of the community. • Learn about the HISTORY of the Bushmen people. • Observe how BEADS are made from ostrich shells and made into jewellery. • Watch the women perform the DRUM OR MELON DANCE.
WALK WITH BUSHMEN
• Walk with BUSHMEN TRACKERS. • Search for poison grub beetles, sanseveria leaves and branches and watch the men make up HUNTING SETS. • Accompany the women as they GATHER HERBS and MEDICINAL PLANTS. • Watch young boys practise the TRADITIONAL GAMES that provide training for the hunt. • Accompany the Hunters as they track, stalk and, hopefully, hunt down some wild quarry using TRADITIONAL BOWS AND ARROWS.
• Observe this deeply SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE. • Watch the mysterious passage of the HEALER as he goes into a state of semi-consciousness, where he is able to make contact with the clan’s Spirit Guides. • Witness how the TRANCE DANCE provides healing for the Community and removes conflicts and tensions.
OBSERVE THE DEEPLY SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE OF THE TRANCE DANCE AND WATCH THE MYSTERIOUS PASSAGE OF THE HEALER AS HE MOVES INTO A STATE OF SEMI-CONSCIOUSNES.
INITIATION HUNT Uncharted Africa has created a safari experience where Guests are able to accompany Ralph Bousfield on an authentic Bushmen Hunt and respectfully observe the rituals and traditions related to its successful conclusion.Â In so doing, sustainable cultural tourism preserves the Bushmen culture for future generations.
What do I need to know?
What will I do?
• The safari requires no less than six Guests and can accommodate no more than eight Guests, for a minimum of 8 Nights. • The eland is imbued with SPIRITUAL and traditional significance for the Bushmen people. • It is of course impossible to guarantee a kill of any one particular species and we will therefore also attempt to hunt other species such as wildebeest, gemsbuck, kudu or similar. • This is a proper expedition and may at times be phyiscally demanding. • HUNTING SEASON - Dry Season: 5th Apr – 5th Sep.
• Visit the BUSHMEN VILLAGE. • Learn about the HISTORY of the Bushmen people. • Accompany women as they GATHER HERBS and MEDICINAL PLANTS. • Observe how BEADS are made from ostrich shells and made into jewellery. • Watch the women perform the DRUM OR MELON DANCE.
• Enjoy a unique experience that combines both CULTURE, WILDLIFE. • Search for poison grub beetles, sanseveria leaves and branches and watch the men make up HUNTING SETS. • Follow the Trackers as they search out ELAND TRACKS using ancient tracking skills. • Track, stalk, and hopefully hunt down an eland using TRADITIONAL BOWS and ARROWS. • Watch the successful Hunters undergo a ritual ceremony led by the elders, receiving tattoos to indicate their PASSAGE INTO MANHOOD. • Observe a traditional Bushmen FEAST and TRANCE DANCE to celebrate the hunt, which is a deeply spiritual experience for the Bushmen people.
TSODILO HILLS The Tsodilo Hills is one of the most rewarding destinations in Botswana. Quite apart from its incredible rock paintings, there is a certain atmosphere that surrounds these hills, an atmosphere that lures one to return again and again.
What will I do? • Enjoy GUIDED WALKS through the Hills • Learn about the MYTHOLOGY, LEGEND and SPIRITUAL SIGNIFICANCE of this site. • Search for rare and ancient ARTEFACTS including tools, pottery, and bone fish hooks. • Inspect ANCIENT MINES, prehistoric village sites and rock shelters. • Climb to the SUMMIT and enjoy the compelling scenery of this mystical place.
THE ROCK ART • Learn about the meanings and significance of the ROCK ART. • See the LAURENS VAN DER POST PANEL - the dancing penises, and even an ANCIENT PENGUIN! • Learn about the RED FINGER-DRAWN IMAGES of wild animals, geometric designs and stick-like human figures.
When is a Igood What will do? time to go? ALL WET YEAR SEASONROUND
Zebra & Wildebeest rely on the Boteti river during the dry season & migrate East to the Makgadikgadi Salt Pans in the rainy season, and stay until the waterholes dry up.
DRY SEASON: Winter 16th April – 31st October • View the spectacular MIGRATION of zebra and WET SEASON: Summer 1st November – 15th April wildebeest – the last remaining in Southern Africa. Activities are weather dependent. • See LION, CHEETAH and other PREDATORS who follow in their wake...
How do I get there? Fly to Johannesburg, and then to Maun, Botswana. You will be met at Maun airport and transferred by light aircraft to your chosen safari destination.
BOTETI RIVER Lake Ngami
Reservations: Tel: +27 (0)11 447 1605 Fax: +27 (0)11 447 6905 Email: email@example.com Marketing: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.unchartedafrica.com