The general sequence of building at the Caracol itself is clear. The first unit of construction at this location was the massive lower platform (Ruppert 1935:Figs. 8-92), distinctive for its size, for the large apron molding at the top, and for the parapet around the circumference. The masonry of this large lower platform, with its large, deeply tenoned blocks, is similar to the platforms of nearby Pure Florescent structures, the Monjas, Red House, and the House of the Deer (Ruppert 1935:273, Morris, Charlot and Morris 1931:211). This contrasts with the veneer-like facing covering the platforms of the Castillo, the Temple of the Warriors, or other Modified Florescent structures at ChichĂŠn ItzĂĄ. A steep, early stairway initially gave access to the top of the platform, but at an unknown later time, a more gently rising stairway ascended to the top of the platform (Ruppert 1935:Figs. 57-90). Ramps decorated with a serpent guilloche flanked the second stairway. There was no indication that ramps flanked the early stairway (Ruppert 1935:56).
The next unit of construction at the Caracol was possibly the first circular platform built upon the large substructure (Ruppert 1935:Figs. 94-100). This platform was faced without decoration except for two three member moldings and a single member vertical cornice (Ruppert 1935:78). Ruppert found no evidence to indicate that a stairway ever ascended this platform, and the moldings, which completely encircle the platform, seem to confirm the absence of a stairway. Because he did not find finished floors below nor atop this structure, Ruppert concluded that the unit was incomplete (1935:271). 84