In Brainerd’s discussion of the Southeast Colonnade, he observed that Ruppert thought the Mercado was later than this colonnade, which means, if the links in the chain are correctly forged so far, that the Mercado postdates the Temple of the Little Tables (Brainerd 1958). This view of the relationship of the Mercado and the Southeast Colonnade contradicts the view that the Mercado postdates the Southeast Colonnade. I could find no break in the masonry of the wall of the Southeast Colonnade and the Mercado’s so-called East Passageway, a unit which is clearly later than the Mercado (Ruppert 1952:Fig. 44). This indicates that the Mercado predated the Southeast Colonnade, and a link in the chain from the Temple of the Little Tables to the Mercado would be broken. It may be best to follow the opinion of the excavator on this point, and if the other observations stand, the Mercado postdates the Temple of the Little Tables.
Conclusions It is difficult to state with confidence exactly when any of the buildings on the Court of the Columns was built in relation to the structures on the main plaza. Although about a third of the buildings on the Court of the Columns have been excavated, almost no stratigraphic relationships are known. Stylistic details are often poorly known or of little aid in securing the chronological positions of the structures. If the precise building sequence of these structures is undetermined, considering the buildings as groups elucidates relationships among structures on the Court of the Columns to those on the main plaza. The trend is fairly clear. None of the buildings is as early as the first constructions on the main plaza. Some of the structures on the Court of the Columns may be only slightly later than the Chac Mool Temple (Little Tables, for example), but the majority of these buildings probably postdate the Temple of the Warriors, including the Northeast Colonnade, Xtoloc Temple, structures 3D5 and 3D6, Thompson’s Temple, and the Southeast Colonnade. Although there may be some overlap in the period of construction on the two plazas, in general the buildings of the Court of the Columns were developed following the erection of the Temple of the Warriors. Similarities between the constructions on the east side of the main plaza and the buildings of the east central section of the Court of the Columns suggest that the two groups had similar functions. Five buildings in one group are the same general type, in the same relative position, and with the same orientation as five buildings in the second group. Long colonnades form the southern buildings of these two functional complexes, the West Colonnade on the main plaza and the Southeast Colonnade on the Court of the Columns. Adjacent to the north are temples entered through colonnades, the Temple of the Warriors and Thompson’s Temple respectively, and again to the north on both courts are the obviously similar Temple of the Big Tables and the Temple of the Little Tables. The north structures of the four aligned buildings on each plaza, 2D6 and 81