Crafted with meticulous attention to detail, 1909 is a beautiful Shaker-style painted kitchen with a timeless quintessentially British feel.
PAINTED KITCHENS WITH BALANCED PROPORTIONS & IMMACULATE DETAILING
Designed in Britain, this beautiful collection of painted kitchen furniture introduces a classic aesthetic while meeting the demands of twenty-first-century living. Thatâ€™s why 1909 adapts flexibly to any style of home.
Crafted from smooth grained timber, the doors are hand sprayed in your choice of 24 carefully selected colours. Drawers have solid oak sides and feature traditional dovetail joints. Decorative cupboard interiors offer the choice of painted, oak veneer or mirrored finishes. The handles and classic butt hinges, all British-made, are available in your choice of chrome, nickel and pewter. Our storage solutions are clever, and so exquisitely designed and engineered that your only challenge will be choosing between them.
02 03 | INTRODUCTION
1909 kitchens are graceful, but also extremely practical. They are built to the highest specification, yet very affordable. Your many options, combined with the skill of our specialist retailers, make it possible to create a bespoke look with a price-tag which is anything but. 1909 kitchens, including fitting and appliances, are available from just ÂŁ15,000.
HALF PENCIL & SCALLOPED
The most detailed of our three door styles blends beautifully into this period home, with the 1909 treatment carried through to the bootroom, glimpsed through part-glazed doors. This supremely practical design keeps everything within reach, thanks to the choice of a range of hidden and open storage options as well as a central island featuring plenty of preparation space. Colours here range from bold and confident Charcoal through soft Partridge Grey to Chalk, with natural wood tones in the birch and maple worktops. The overall impression is enduring and inviting. Family heirlooms and favourite pieces team well with contemporary appliances, creating a comfortable, functional yet stylish kitchen.
04 05 | HALF PENCIL & SCALLOPED
These No.3 bead doors feature butt hinges in polished chrome and [name] handles in [finish]. Classic moulded plinth and cornice add to the period feel. The island features 60mm birchend-grain worktop above slatted maple open storage. Maple is also used as the principal island worktop, incorporating a breakfast bar punctuated with 30mm Carerra marble featuring stainless steel herb and champagne troughs. Part-glazed wall cupboards feature an oak veneered interior. Carrera marble worktops and upstands on the far wall evoke a deli feel, while 30mm Grigio Carnico marble forms an enclosed working area around the range.
08 09 | HALF PENCIL & SCALLOPED
Come home from a bracing walk to a warm kitchen and the smell of fresh coffee.
10 11 | HALF PENCIL & SCALLOPED
Your 1909 specialist retailer can adapt our furniture to complement adjacent spaces such as dining rooms, utility rooms, boot rooms, cloakrooms, and much more.
12 13 | HALF PENCIL & SCALLOPED
QUARTER ROUND BEAD
This kitchen shows just how well 1909 adapts to smaller rooms. It’s a compact design in which space has been carefully considered without compromising on looks or practicality.
Simple and functional, ‘quarter of a round’ beading was traditionally used to soften the classic Shaker profile. The two blue shades shown here are inspired by eighteenth and nineteenth-century colours; contributing to the light and airy feel are wall cupboards which feature mirrored backs and are painted an off-white to co-ordinate with the tiles, walls and sink.
14 15 | QUARTER ROUND BEAD
These cupboards are shown in Parchment White and two shades of blue (Morris andHartforth), featuring pewter hinges and chrome [name] handles. Worktops are Corian in Cameo White contrasted with 40mm full stave prime oak. The full height unit incorporates a barista area, a fridge/freezer and crockery drawers. The island is multi-purpose, with an end bookcase, breakfast bar and pop-up power sockets. The rear wall has two built-under ovens,a dishwasher, a wet area with a moulded Corian sink, a steel ball trivet set into the worktop, and wall cupboards with mirrored backs.
A beautiful space just waiting to be shared with friends and family.
20 21 | QUARTER ROUND BEAD
Our purest door style is shown here in a neutral palette in a modern family home. This is a kitchen designed to work hard - yet it has all the good looks and smart storage needed to create a space for entertaining which is beautiful, decorative and easy to maintain. The fabulous pantry has an independent, free-standing look. Adding to the bespoke feel are quadrant curves, softening the overall effect and providing ergonomic corner storage. The pilasters have been pulled forward to add detail to the cornices, worktops and plinths.
22 23 | IN-FRAME SHAKER
These in-frame Shaker cupboards are shown in Flint Grey and Almond, with chrome handles and [finish?] hinges. The versatility of the curved furniture is demonstrated by the large base quadrant complementing the smaller wall cupboard. The full-height pantry has a sliding rack at its heart, concealing a pull-out chopping board, hanging for wine glasses, a plate rack plus storage for spices, recipe books and breakfast items. Thereâ€™s also a handy blackboard panel to ensure the pantry is always well stocked.(Turn to page 30). The principal worktops are 30mm crema marfil and 40mm full stave prime oak; the pantry has 30mm dark empredor marble and 60mm birch end grain. The open wall cupboards are painted inside and feature 9mm toughened glass shelving.
26 27 | IN-FRAME SHAKER
STORAGE Behind each 1909 door there’s a place for everything, thanks to some very clever storage ideas. Choose from simple cupboards to plentiful pull-outs, pantries, drawers with customised partitions, bookshelves, options for curves and more.
1. SOLID OAK CUTLERY INSERTS ALLOW FOR FLEXIBLE STORAGE. 2. DEEP, STRONG DRAWERS KEEP LARGER ITEMS OUT OF SIGHT BUT RIGHT AT HAND. 3. DEEP-SIDED DOVETAIL DRAWERS IDEAL FOR STORING TOWELS AND LINEN. 4. MAKE THE MOST OF ISLAND ENDS TO STORE FAVOURITE RECIPE BOOKS. 5. ELEGANT ROUNDED CUPBOARDS WITH MIRRORED BACKS REFLECT LIGHT AND HIGHLIGHT SPECIAL POSSESSIONS. 2
28 29 | STORAGE
7. ALL YOUR INGREDIENTS AT A GLANCE WITH OUR STRONG BASE CUPBOARD PULL-OUT. 8. DEEP SIDED DRAWERS ORGANISE YOUR CROCKERY IN STYLE - WITH SOLID OAK PINS TO STOP IT ALL SLIDING ABOUT. 9. OUR MUST-HAVE PANTRY OPENS UP STORAGE POSSIBILITIES FOR ALL SORTS OF KITCHEN ESSENTIALS. 10. EXTRA-HEIGHT WALL CUPBOARDS PROVIDE FURTHER SPACE, WITH THE GLAZED SECTION ADDING AN INTERESTING DESIGN TOUCH. 11. THE PANTRY’S SLIDING RAIL PACKS EVEN MORE HANDY STORAGE INTO THE SPACE. 12. SMART USE OF VERTICAL SPACE: SEE-THROUGH SIDES ON THESE PULL-OUT SHELVES TAKE YOU STRAIGHT TO WHAT YOU’RE LOOKING FOR. 13. GENEROUS OPEN SHELVING CREATES A HOME FOR CHERISHED ITEMS. 14. SHALLOW DRAWERS PLUS SOLID OAK INSERTS KEEP ALL YOUR KITCHEN BITS ’N BOBS IN ONE PLACE.
WORKTOPS Creativity doesn’t have to stop with your furniture but can extend into your worktops. Choose wood, stone, or a mix of the two -and explore different thicknesses, shapes and edge profiles for that bespoke kitchen look.
1. YOUR 1909 SPECIALIST RETAILER WILL HELP YOU ACHIEVE THE EFFECT YOU WANT WITH YOUR WORKTOPS - SUCH AS THE INTRICATE DETAILING SHOWN HERE. 2. A COCK AND QUADRANT EDGE PROFILE ACCENTUATES THE BEAUTY OF THIS FULL STAVE PRIME OAK, WITH THE ADDED PRACTICALITY OF A POP-UP ELECTRICAL SOCKET. 3. STAINLESS STEEL CHAMPAGNE AND HERB TROUGHS WITH INTEGRAL DRAINING ARE SET INTO A CARRERA MARBLE WORKTOP. 4. THESE STEEL BALLS ARE SET INTO THE WORKTOP TO PROVIDE A CONVENIENT TRIVET FOR HOT PANS. 5. DARK EMPREDOR MARBLE FORMS A DRAMATIC BUT PRACTICAL BASE FOR THIS COFFEE HUB. 4
32 33 | WORKTOPS
SINK & TAPS 1909 is versatile enough to accommodate both traditional and contemporary tastes, whether you select ceramic, steel or solid surface sinks. Select from a wide range of taps to enhance your chosen sink.
1. THE MIX OF THE CONTEMPORARY STAINLESS STEEL SINK AND THE MARBLE FRONT PANEL HARK BACK TO TRADITIONAL DELICATESSENS WHILE BLENDING SEAMLESSLY WITH THE SURROUNDING SPACE. 2. THE CORIAN SINK MOULDS SEAMLESSLY INTO THE WORKTOP, WITH A RECESSED DRAINER AND WAVY DRAINER GROOVES PROVIDING FUNCTION WITH FORM. 3. THE TRADITIONAL STYLING OF THE FARMHOUSE DOUBLE SINK, COMPLEMENTED BY AN OAK PLINTH, SITS SNUGLY UNDER THE WORKTOP WITH THE ADDED PRACTICALITY OF A MIXER TAP AND ADDITIONAL SPRAY. 1
34 35 | SINK & TAP
HANDLES Made in Britain 1909 handles come in a choice of chrome, nickel or pewter.
1. SOLID PEWTER [K866.30.PE] SQUARE KNOB WITH BACKPLATE. 2. SOLID PEWTER [K894.37.PE] ROUND KNOB WITH BACKPLATE. 3. SOLID PEWTER [H887.128.PE] STRAP HANDLE. 4. SOLID PEWTER [H892.64.PE] CUP HANDLE. 5. SOLID BRASS WITH BRIGHT NICKEL PLATING [H884.72.BN] BARREL BAR HANDLE 6. SOLID BRASS WITH BRIGHT NICKEL PLATING [H882.160.BN] T-BAR BARREL HANDLE 7. SOLID BRASS WITH CHROME PLATING [K879.34.CH] SQUARE KNOB WITH RECTANGULAR BACKPLATE
36 37 | HANDLES
HINGES 1909 butt hinges are available in pewter, nickel and polished chrome, and are made in Birmingham.
8. SOLID PEWTER [H888.32.PE] FINGER PULL. 9. SOLID PEWTER [K895.30.PE] SQUARE KNOB WITH BACKPLATE. 10. SOLID PEWTER [H896.160.PE] D-HANDLE. 11. SOLID PEWTER [H891.160.PE] D-HANDLE. 12. SOLID BRASS WITH CHROME PLATING [K877.35.CH] CLASSIC KNOB WITH RING DETAIL. 13. SOLID BRASS WITH BRIGHT NICKEL PLATING [K880.36.BN] URN SHAPED KNOB . 14. SOLID BRASS WITH CHROME PLATING [K875.37.CH] OVAL KNOB WITH LINE DETAIL. 15. SOLID PEWTER [H889.128.PE] D-HANDLE.
39 40 | HANDLES
DETAILS It’s the little details that can make all the difference. Here are some of the finishing touches you may like to include in your 1909 kitchen:
1. OUR ASKEW ISLAND LEGS OFFER A CLASSICAL POINT OF INTEREST. 2. DELIVERING A DISTINCTLY BESPOKE LOOK, THE PILASTERS IN THIS KITCHEN HAVE BEEN PULLED FORWARD TO CREATE A BREAKFRONT FEATURE. 3. CONTEMPORARY APPLIANCES SLIP SEAMLESSLY INTO THE OVERALL LOOK OF THE KITCHEN, WHATEVER ITS SETTING. 4. EACH 1909 KITCHEN COMES WITH TWO BRIGHT CHROME NAME PLATES, WHICH YOU CAN CHOOSE TO PLACE ANYWHERE. 5. FELT DRAWER PADS PROTECT YOUR CUTLERY AND DAMPEN THE RATTLE. 6. MIRROR-BACKED GLAZED WALL CUPBOARDS CREATE A LIGHT, OPEN FEEL. 7. SOLID OAK DRAWERS FEATURE TRADITIONALLY DOVETAILED JOINTS TO WITHSTAND YEARS OF SERVICE. 6
40 41 | DETAILS
NOW CHOOSE YOUR COLOURS With a 24-strong colour palette you can achieve just the look you want for your 1909 kitchen whether you opt for a single colour or a combination of contrasting or complementary tones. If you’d like some inspiration, your 1909 specialist retailer will be only too pleased to help. China Blue
Each British-designed 1909 kitchen is individually hand sprayed for a perfect finish in County Durham, with paints made in Derbyshire. Undercoat is applied in your chosen colours, followed by two matching
top-coats. If you’re concerned about potential knocks, don’t worry: a touch-up kit is available in every colour.
CO L O U R S Almond
Trench Coat Grey
Turn to the back cover for your colour card featuring actual 1909 paint swatches (whereas the printed colours on this page may not be exact).
WHERE TO BUY YOUR 1909 KITCHEN 1909 kitchens are available from a network of specialist independent retailers across the UK. You’ll benefit from their significant experience and expertise as they guide you every step of the way towards achieving your perfect 1909 kitchen. From first seeing 1909 in their showroom to their design service, project management and fitting, your local independent retailer will work with you to create what you want in your kitchen and in any related spaces. 1909 retailers are often family-run businesses, so their local reputations are very important to them - and that means they’ll take personal responsibility for your kitchen. They’ll have lots of ideas for making the best use of your space and creating a design that’s all your own, and can guide you as to what will work and what may not. Buying a new kitchen means a lot to think about: not just the cupboards themselves, but also plumbing, electrics, flooring, tiling, appliances and more. So it’s good to know you’ll have the personal attention, vision and support of an expert specialist retailer. To find your local 1909 specialist, visit
COLOUR REPRODUCTION WE TAKE GREAT CARE IN THE PHOTOGRAPHY OF THE PRODUCTS FEATURED. HOWEVER, DUE TO VARIABLES BETWEEN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND PRINT PROCESSES, COLOURS MAY VARY FROM THE ACTUAL PRODUCT SUPPLIED. ©COPYRIGHT PWS DISTRIBUTORS LTD 2012.