Be brief, be bold, be real: Get involved in the legislative process
As the 2022 legislative session continues, your BIAW advocacy team counts on you to help us reach legislators and share the real effects of their decisions on our industry and on the thousands of households trying to find homes they can afford.
How to get involved
As a reminder, BIAW has several ways you can get involved in the legislative process.
• Hammer with Himebaugh: Don’t miss the award-winning Hammer with Himebaugh video update posted each Monday. That’s where I share the highlights of the week in five minutes or less.
• Weekly bill action: Then be sure to visit our Government Affairs page where we post the bills we’re following that week and how to sign in to support or oppose those bills. Legislators look to see how many people are signing in as they make decisions on these bills.
• Weekly Legislative Policy Committee calls: Every Tuesday at 7:30 a.m., the BIAW Legislative Policy Committee joins a conference call for updates from our lobbyists and in-house advocacy team. Want to join us? Contact Andrea Smith from my team at AndreaS@biaw.com and we’ll add you to the list.
• Regular calls to action: Periodically we’ll reach out with specific calls to action. Watch for them and join us!
• BIAW legislative reception: Join us for the BIAW “Hammers & Highballs” legislative reception starting at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 22, at the Olympia Hotel during our Winter Board Meeting. This is your chance to meet legislators face to face to share your story.
Tips for talking to legislators
Whether you’re meeting directly with your local legislator, testifying in committee or chatting with them at our legislative reception, remember these three important tips:
Be brief: Think about your 30-second pitch and be ready to give it at any time. Include your name, your company, how long you’ve been in business, what you want your legislator to do and why it matters.
Be bold: Be sure to ask your legislator for what you want—and be specific.
Be real: Make a human connection by (briefly) telling your story and why building homes matters to Washington.
Here’s an example: Ex: I’m Josie Smith of Homes Start Here Construction. I’ve been building homes for 30 years. We need your help to streamline the permitting process so I’m asking you to support SB 5964. This will help families save on average $20,000 in the cost of a new home. I became a home builder because I love building homes for the people in my community. I hope you’ll help me. Thank you for your time!
Need help? We’re available to help you any time you need us. Contact me at email@example.com.