Page 66

professor with tenure there. That’s always what I wanted to do.” But that no longer fit his wakeboard-centric life. Fooshee reiterated, “I moved to go to school at Texas State because of this place (TSR), because Texas State’s only 10-15 minutes up the road.” As Fooshee had hoped, the transition to Texas State allowed him to commit even more time to being on the water, and he was able to take his wakeboarding up another notch. “Once I moved and got accepted into Texas State, I was just riding so much that going from amateur to pro happened like that,” Fooshee explained, snapping his fingers. “I kept getting better out here on the cable and on the boat out here and would just come ride before and after work.” All that riding was made even more feasible since by this point Fooshee was not only one of TSR’s most skilled and avid riders, but also an employee. Fooshee described those days when TSR had indeed become his home-away-from-home, “I started running the cable out here. I worked downstairs in the board shop, sold rental passes. I’ve worked at this place forever throughout my

college career. I took care of business with schoolwork and would come out here, and I just rode and advanced my abilities, coming out here just non-stop.” Fooshee reminisced, “When you’re 18 years old, it’s a great way to use your energy. There’s no stopping. You don’t have to wait for someone else’s turn. You can be greedy out there.”

Ride, Ride, and Ride Some More And now, all these years later, the professional Fooshee still rides almost non-stop. Fooshee boiled it down, “I just really try to stay motivated and ride as much as possible.” Riding as much as possible often includes at least three different wakeboard sessions on a given day. First thing in the morning is a winch session. Fooshee described winch as being “more like street skateboarding,” involving the wakeboarder being pulled up and towed by the stationary version of the motor and spool apparatus commonly found on the front of jeeps and ranch trucks. “Obviously you can’t take a boat to a narrow river or a creek. So you can show up with a winch to any body of water and make something out of it. It makes for great photos and great videos.” The real downside to the winch is that it doesn’t provide Fooshee with enough time on the water. So, winch rides are, for him, reserved only for the great light of the early morning hours. Then it’s on to more quality time on the water. Almost every afternoon/evening entails a set on the cable. Fooshee surmised that a typical cable session is “a pretty consistent, solid two hours of riding. I’m out here for three hours and between the falls when working on new stuff and walking back, that will cut it down about an hour. But I would say it’s a solid two hours of actually being on the water.” Again, Fooshee hailed the glories of the cable, “as far as this stuff goes, it’s just gettin’ after it.” In between the winch in the morning and the cable in the evening there’s often a 30-45 minute session behind the boat as well. “I try to catch a boat set during the middle of the day, two to three times a week, but definitely cable in the evening and winch in the early morning.”

“I just really try to stay motivated and ride as much as possible.”

The cable system allows Fooshee's skill to take 'air' to a whole new level. Photo by Brian Fitzsimmons


June 2012 - The Outside Issue  

The Outside Issue with #1 Cable Wakeboarder, Tom Fooshee, as the cover feature.