Briony's on a Roll
The Bake Off star serves up an Arctic roll bursting with juicy summer fruits
Briony says: ‘There’s something so nostalgic about Arctic roll. At school, we would have fish and chips for lunch on Fridays, with a slice of Arctic roll for pud – and my nan used to make her own vanilla version for family parties. This is the first time I’ve ever made one myself, though I’ve made plenty of Swiss rolls, and it’s so fun and easy. It’s the perfect retro, summery dessert for whipping out after a barbecue. Ice cream? Check. Sponge? Check. Jam and fruit? Check. What more could you want? Give it a go at home yourself!’
Cherry Arctic roll
● 900ml pack Asda Really Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream
● 150g Asda Frozen for Freshness Morello Cherries
● 3 large eggs
● 120g caster sugar
● ½tsp vanilla extract
● 100g self-raising flour
● 8tbsp Extra Special Morello Cherry Conserve
● 100g white chocolate
● 100g fresh cherries
● 70g strawberries, halved
1) Take the ice cream from the freezer. Set aside for 10 mins to soften, then mix with the frozen cherries in a bowl. Scoop onto a sheet of baking paper and shape into a cylinder 32cm long. Put in the freezer to firm.
2) Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Line a 32cm x 22cm Swiss roll tin with nonstick baking paper.
3) Whisk together the eggs, 100g of the sugar and the vanilla until doubled in size. Sift over the flour and gently fold through until combined. Pour into the prepared tin, then bake for 12-15 mins until golden brown.
4) Put down a fresh sheet of baking paper and sprinkle over the remaining caster sugar. Tip out the sponge and peel off the original paper. Roll up the sponge lengthways, with the paper inside. Allow to cool. 5 Unroll the sponge and spread with ½ the cherry conserve. Unwrap the ice cream and lay it along one long side of the sponge. Roll up the cake around the ice cream. Discard the paper, wrap the roll in clingfilm and pop it in the freezer for 20 mins.
6) Meanwhile, line another tray with baking paper. Melt the white chocolate and dip each fresh cherry to cover the base. Put onto the tray and chill until set.
7) Unwrap the Arctic roll, discarding the clingfilm. Put onto a cake board with the ‘join’ on the bottom.
8) Stir 2tsp boiling water into the remaining conserve; drizzle over the cake with a spoon. Decorate with the chocolate cherries and strawberry halves to serve.
THAT'S HOW WE ROLL
Easy does it – Briony shares tips and techniques to get a perfect result every time.
1) Roll up your sponge lengthways while it’s warm, to shape it and avoid cracking later.
2) Unroll the sponge, spread with jam, then lay the ice cream along one long side.
3) Gently roll up the sponge around the ice cream until the edges meet.
4) After firming up in the freezer, put on a cake board, with the ‘join’ at the bottom.
BRIONY’'S TOP TIPS
ROLL WITH IT | ‘Don’t worry if your ice cream roll is shorter than your sponge – after you’ve rolled it all together, you can always trim the ends to neaten it up.’
TOPPING TIP | ‘Need a quick topping to decorate a cake or bake? Reach for the jam! Chances are you’ve got a jar in the fridge and with a splash of boiling water, it will be the perfect consistency for drizzling.’