Make a party of dining outdoors! All the family will love these delicious and fun festival-style dishes from around the world
Strawberry Coke & froyo float
Double up on summer fruit flavour with this chilled-out twist on an American favourite
1) Divide 750ml Diet Coke Twisted Strawberry, chilled, and a handful of ice cubes between 6 tall glasses.
2) Divide 500ml Asda Strawberry Frozen Yogurt into 6 scoops and add 1 scoop to each glass carefully, so it floats on top of the cola. Decorate with cocktail umbrellas and paper straws, then serve immediately.
Pronounced ‘yee-ros’, these Greek-inspired wraps are stuffed with tender pork loin, potatoes, salad and a herby tzatziki dressing
1) In a nonmetallic bowl, whisk together 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil, zest and juice 1 orange, 1tbsp dried mint, 1tbsp dried oregano, ½ tbsp dried rosemary and 3 cloves garlic, crushed. Rub into a 480g pack Butcher’s Selection 4 Pork Loin Steaks and marinate in the fridge overnight.
2) Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
3) Wash 1kg Maris Piper potatoes, cut into chips, rinse and pat dry. Toss with 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil and ½tbsp dried rosemary on a nonstick baking tray, and season with pepper. Bake for 45-50 mins until crisp and cooked through.
4) Meanwhile, stir 1 red onion, thinly sliced, into 100ml white wine vinegar and set aside to pickle for at least 20 mins, or until the vinegar is bright pink. Drain.
5) For the tzatziki, halve 1 large cucumber. Cube ½ and set aside. Grate the rest over a sieve, squeeze out as much liquid as you can and fold through 250g Asda Fat Free Greek Style Yogurt with 1tbsp chopped mint, 1tbsp chopped dill, zest and juice ½ lemon and 1 clove garlic, crushed. Season with black pepper.
6) Heat a griddle pan over a high setting until it starts to smoke. Fry the pork in batches for 3-4 mins each side until cooked through with char lines. Rest on a plate for 10 mins, then slice.
7) Wipe the griddle pan. Dry-fry 3 Dina Large White Bread Wraps until toasted with char lines, then halve.
8) Divide 1 Baby Gem lettuce, leaves separated, 12 cherry tomatoes, halved, the pork, potato chips, tzatziki, pickled onions, and 4 radishes, sliced, plus extra mint and dill between the wraps, leaving a 3cm border on the straight side. Fold this upwards, then fold the sides in, to form a cornet shape. Wrap the bottom half with baking paper, then secure with string. Serve immediately.
Jerk chicken with rice & beans
Tasty spiced drumsticks served on a bed of fluffy rice, with juicy grilled pineapple – inspired by a Caribbean classic
1) Cut slashes in 1kg chicken drumsticks, skin removed.
2) In a large bowl, mix the chicken with 2tbsp Asda Jerk Seasoning, 2 cloves garlic, chopped, zest and juice 1 lime, 1tbsp rapeseed oil and 1tbsp thyme leaves. Leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.
3) Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
4) Heat a griddle on a high setting. When it starts to smoke, cook 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into fingers until charred on all sides. Set aside on a plate.
5) In the same pan, cook the chicken drumsticks for 10-15 mins until charred, then transfer to a baking tray and oven-roast for 20-25 mins until cooked through. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for 10 mins.
6) Put 200g long-grain rice, rinsed, 1 onion, diced, a 400g tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed, and 2 cloves garlic, chopped, in a pan with 350ml water. Boil, then simmer, covered, for 5 mins. Take off the heat and leave to steam, lid on, for 20-25 mins. Fluff the rice with a fork and mix in 1tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley.
7) Serve the chicken on the rice with the pineapple.
Mac, cheese & veg bites
Crisp on the outside, and filled with pasta in a gooey cheese and butternut squash sauce
1) Cook 100g Frozen for Freshness Butternut Squash Chunks in boiling water for 15 mins or until soft. Drain, return to the pan and mash.
2) Melt 25g unsalted butter in a large pan over a low heat. Add 1 white onion, finely chopped, cover and cook for 10-15 mins until soft but not browned.
3) Add 25g plain flour to the pan; cook for 3 mins. Take off the heat; gradually whisk in 200ml skimmed milk until smooth. Return to the heat and simmer for 5 mins, stirring, to thicken.
4) Take off the heat; mix in the butternut squash, 80g Asda 50% Less Fat Grated Mature Cheese, a 198g tin salt-free sweetcorn, drained, 50g frozen peas and 1tbsp finely chopped parsley.
5) Cook 150g macaroni according to the pack instructions. Drain, stir into the cheese mixture and allow to cool completely.
6) Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C Fan/ Gas6. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
7) Divide the macaroni mixture into 12. Wet your hands, then roll into balls. Put 50g plain flour, 2 eggs, whisked with 1 tbsp water, and 100g fresh breadcrumbs on 3 separate plates. Roll the macaroni balls in the flour, the egg, then the crumbs.
9) Bake on the tray for 25-30 mins until golden. Serve hot.
Churros with a chocolate dip
Round off your feast with this no-fuss baked take on a Spanish treat
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C/ Gas 6. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
2) Put 125ml semi-skimmed milk into a pan, along with 100g Best for Baking Cakes spread. 2tsp caster sugar and 125ml cold water. Heat gently until the spread melts and the mixture is just coming to the boil
3) Remove from the heat. Beat in 175g self-raising flour with a wooden spoon until smooth, then return to the heat and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 min.
4) Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for 2-3 mins. Beat in 3 large eggs one at a time, making sure each one is fully incorporated before adding the next.
5) Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle and pipe 24 lengths of dough, each 10cm long, across the trays.
6) Bake for 20 mins. Pierce each churro with a sharp knife to let steam escape, then return to the oven for 5 mins until golden and risen. Cool on a wire rack.
7) Put 2 x 50g pots Petits Filous Chocolate desserts (from a mixed pack) into a bowl and stir. Serve with the churros, to dip.