ARTTOUR INTERNATIONAL ANNIVERSARY ISSUE
The brightly colored fresco ceilings were added in 1901. The most recent modifications to the cathedral were made in 1910, with the addition of a vaulted portico to the south facade. The Cathedral was further enlarged to the east and the bell tower was moved to the south-east corner. The interior of the Cathedral was decorated with ornate frescoes donated by Ibrahim Youssef Saad. In 1975, following the outbreak of the Lebanese civil war, the cathedral was heavily shelled and vandalized and its elaborate frescoes were left to decay. The church was plundered and defaced. Most of the icons and part of the 18th-century iconostasis were stolen and parts of the iconostasis were set on fire.
The Crypt Museum During 17 months in 1994–1995, archaeological excavations were undertaken within and in the vicinity of the St George Cathedral before the initiation of restoration works. Work was conducted by the Archaelogical Museum of the American University of Beirut. A committee was formed under the patronage of the Orthodox archdiocese of Beirut to oversee the excavations and the creation of the St George Archaeological Crypt Museum. The founding committee was headed by archaeologist Leila Bader, who was the director of the Archaeological Museum, and included Nabil Azar, Yasmine Macaron Bou Assaf, Katia Neeman Salha and Rita Kalenjian. The excavations covered 316 square meters (3,400 sq ft). The aim was to locate the Byzantine Anastasis Cathedral in relation to the standing cathedral and ultimately triangulate the location of the ancient Law School of Beirut. Crypt mosaics Photography by ArtTour International Magazine Copyright © 2013. All rights reserved.
Archangel Mikael, right-side Iconostasis, 1837 Photography by ArtTour International Magazine Copyright © 2013. All rights reserved.