THE Great Loop WATERWAY of Wielkopolska Very popular on the tourist map of Poland, the Górnonotecki Canal – 24 m, the Bydgoszcz Canal Great Loop of Wielkopolska is a water route – 57 m, the Lower Noteć from Nakło to Krzyż leading through the regions of Wielkopolskie, – 41 m, the Lower Noteć from Krzyż to SanLubuskie and Kujawsko – Pomorskie. The Great tok – 57 m. The permissible draught of vessels European Union – European Regional Development Fund
Loop links Polish waterways with a network for specific waterways depends on the current of waterways in Western Europe via the Oder minimum water depth for safe navigation which and the Spree and with Eastern Europe via the is published by the administration of the waterrivers Vistula, Narew and Neman. The northern way on its website.
Project co-financed by the European Union through the Regional Development Fund, as part of the Wielkopolska Regional Operational Program for the years 2007-2013
part of the Loop belongs to international E70
The Great Loop is an extremely attractive
Formerly a town, today a village
holding the headquarters of the local author-
ities, it is located 4 km west of the southern end of Gopło Lake. The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, from 181015, was built on Gothic foundations from the 1300s. The main altar holds a Gothic figure of Our Lady of Sorrows (Pieta) from ca. 1420. In the early 19th century Skulsk was a wellknown manufacturing centre specializing in
Waterway from Antwerp to Klaipeda. That is route with a varied natural and cultural envi-
hand-painted religious pictures. These were
why no one is surprised seeing the powerboats ronment. Along nearly its entire length it leads
sold in various places by local roving trad-
or canoes of tourists from Germany or the through landscape reserves and Natura 2000
ers. For the needs of their business they de-
veloped their unique way of speaking, quite
areas where various species are protected. In
The Great Loop of Wielkopolska is 687.9
the historical areas of Wielkopolska, Kujawy
kilometres long, and comprises the Warta River and Lubuskie Region tourists will be able to (from Konin to Santok – 338.4 km), the Noteć visit towns with impressive landmarks. Notable (from Santok to Nakło – 187.2 km) the Bydgo-
attractions here include hydro-technical struc-
szcz Canal (from Nakło to Bydgoszcz – 15.7 km) tures. Along the trail there are 28 navigation and the waterway of the Bydgoszcz Canal – locks allowing for overcoming differences in waWarta (from Bydgoszcz to Konin – 146.6 km). ter levels. Among the area’s curiosities are the The latter section is most varied and leads warm lakes in the vicinity of Konin – the temalong the Górnonotecki Canal, and the Upper perature of their water has increased by approx. Noteć which flows through a few lakes, includ- 6-11°C due to the discharge of water from the ing Gopło, where the Ślesiński Canal starts and power stations of Pątnów and Konin. In recent via Lakes Czarne, Ślesińskie, Mikorzyńskie, and years local governments and private investors Pątnowskie leads towards the Warta. The Loop have been building a network of harbours and is accessible to vessels whose maximum length mooring docks. Hydro-technical structures of
is: for the Warta from Santok to Luboń near
the locks and weirs are being upgraded. The
Poznań – 41 m, for the Warta from Luboń near fact that better times are coming for water Poznań to Konin – 24 m, the Ślesiński Canal – routes can be seen in the massive numbers of
57 m, Lake Gopło – 67 m, the Upper Noteć and tourists participating in boating events.
the largest in Poland. In the highest location of the Old Town Square on top of Góra Przemysła (Mount of Przemysł) a reconstruction of an old castle modelled after Gothic and Renaissance styles was built incorporating the original Gothic foundations. The Prussians left a distinctive feature in the cityscape when in the early 1900s they built an imperial quarter whose architecture made references to various historical styles. The related buildings include imperial castle, royal academy, opera house, church and bank. Poznań provides fascinating options for every tourist. Enthusiasts of fortifications will see medieval walls and a ring of forts of a Prussian stronghold, those into newer architecture can admire the modernist “Okrąglak” (round building) and the Old Brewery.
The Baroque Church of St. John the Baptist was built in 1720-28 to the design by Pompeo Ferrari incorporating Romanesque and Gothic remnants of an earlier structure. Buildings
map scale 1:500,000 Former Cistercian monastery in Owińska, photo: Z. Szmidt
of a former Cistercian monastery today are home to an educational facility for visually impaired children. Its premises also hold the first Polish tactile museum (where exhibits can be explored by touch) launched in 2011 as well as a sensory park, unique in Europe. Visually impaired children can learn to independently move around in open space. Another valuable landmark is the classicist palace, surrounded with a landscape park, and built in 1804-06 possibly to the design by David Gilly.
Next to the town square we can see the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, originally built in Gothic style in the 15th/16th century; its present design dates from 1814. Another highlight is the half-timbered Church of the Holy Cross from 1766, with a crucifix from the 1500s in its main altar. A distinctive feature of the cityscape is the 90-metre tall tower of the neo-Gothic, formerly Evangelical, Church of St. Joseph from 1900. The Wełna River flows into the Warta here. The area in the vicinity of its mouth was designated as a nature reserve (called Słonawy) to protect the
different from the Polish language and incomprehensible to other people. The jargon was called kmina ochweśnicka, by reference to kminić – which meant “to speak”, and ochwest – “a picture”; the traders themselves were accordingly called “ochweśnik”. In the nearby village of Mielnica Duża, on Gopło Lake, there is a Community Culture Centre, with a harbour, slipway and sanitary facilities.
One of Wielkopolska’s major leisure centres with numerous facilities for watersports, the town is located between Lakes Ślesińskie and Mikorzyńskie. Tourist attractions
spawning grounds of salmonidae. Sometimes called “a mountainous river”, the Wełna is one of the most popular and most demanding waterways of our region.
Along the Kończak Stream there is an Experimental Station conducted by the Zoology Department at Poznań University of Life Sciences. It is designed to breed rare and endangered animals which were earlier eradicated. As a result of successful efforts aimed at breeding the Eurasian beaver the species has become widespread in Poland. Other endangered species raised in the station include birds such as wood grouse and black grouse, as well as horses called Polish konik. Wolves, living here in enclosures, can be seen following prior arrangements. Along the Warta there is a privately owned harbour called “U Agnieszki i Macieja”.
A small town with the Baroque Church of Sts. Peter and Paul built in the mid-1700s to the design by Pompeo Ferarri. Inside we can see the painting by Eugenio Caxés from 1609 entitled The Last Supper, which was brought here from a Spanish monastery in Guadeloupe, as well as a bronze tomb of Ignacy Raczyński from 1854. Another artefact related to the Raczyński family is a Renaissance window framing from 1527 brought from Portugal and gracing the Baroque Town Hall. On the other side of the Warta, we can visit the suburb of Zielonagóra which once was part of the Raczyński family estate. Within a large park there is a palace representing eclectic style and built around 1856, then expanded in 1906-1910. Today it holds the House of Creative Work and Leisure Centre of Adam Mickiewicz University.
The town’s most impressive landmark is the Gothic Church of St. Catherine from the 1400s. Along the Warta we can see the former Dominican Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, from the late 1600s. The neo-Gothic building of a granary from the mid-1800s holds the Museum of the Wronki Region with impressive ethnographic and archaeological collections and exhibitions of local artists. Wronki is home to a renowned manufacturer of household appliances and a large correctional facility which was built by the Prussians in 1894. On the other side of the Warta there is a modern sports stadium with the Olympic Hotel. The nearby Notecka Forest is known for the multitude of mushrooms growing there, and is a perfect place for recreational activities such as hiking and cycling trips.
include a Classicist triumphal arch erected by townsmen in 1812 to honour Napoleon. At the town square you can see goose-shaped fountain and a figure of a merchant carrying a goose, which bring back the memory of the most important local trade in the 19th century. Along the shore of Ślesińskie Lake there is Termy Ślesińskie Centre with mooring piers, marina, and hotels.
In Gosławice we can still see two Gothic buildings: a knight’s castle and a church. They were founded by Andrzej Łaskarz (1362-1426), the Bishop of Poznań, a statesman of King Władysław Jagiełło, and a pilgrim to the Holy Land. The Church of St. Andrew the Apostle, which is modelled after the chapel within the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre is topped with a magnificent palm vault supported on one pillar. The largest collection of Polish medieval coats of arms can be seen in the consoles and keystones of the vaults. Since 1986 the castle has been home to the District Museum whose other locations include the nearby manor house with an exposition of interior furnishings, a granary with exhibits related to lignite coal mines, and a small open-air museum.
polychrome ranking among the most valuable examples of Gothic painting in Poland and a chapter house with a single supporting pillar. The restored monastery today is home to the Higher Theological Seminary of the Salesian Order. The nearby mansion and park complex holds the Centre for Natural Education, with a replica of the old castellan’s gord. At the other end of the village there is a privately owned harbour called Marina Ląd.
Visible from the level of the Warta, there is a palace built in 1760-68 for Bishop Teodor Kazimierz Czartoryski, to the design by Giuseppe de Sacco; it received its Rococo finishing in 1810. Today it holds the Centre for Creative Work and a branch of the Library of Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań. Its holdings include the largest Polish collection of Masonic prints (approx. 80,000 volumes). The palace is surrounded by a landscaped park which offers a fine view towards the valley of the Warta. In the village, we can see the Baroque Church of St. John the Baptist; its original Gothic structure was built in 1535.
The small town with a picturesque panorama is situated along the high-rising bank of the Warta. During the Middle Ages it ranked much higher – there were a royal castle, two
Waterway the Warta River 406.6 km–68.2 km 402.8 km
Along the river there is the new Nadwarciański Waterfront. On the left bank of the Warta we can see the old town which was established before 1285. In its centre there is the town square (Plac Wolności) with brick houses from the 1800s. In the corner we can see a unique sculpture – a statue of a horse or a “horse-man” - making a reference to the city’s name and emblem. The oldest landmark is a Romanesque road post, standing next to the Gothic Church of St. Bartholomew. According to the Latin inscription it was built by Comes Palatinus Peter in 1151 in the middle of the road linking Kalisz and Kruszwica. Near the church there is the classicist Town Hall, from 1803, with a wooden clock tower. In the past Konin was inhabited by various nationalities, which today can be seen in its landmarks: the Baroque 18th century building once holding a monastery of Reformed Franciscans, the neo-Romanesque Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession (Church of the Holy Spirit) from the mid-19th century, and the old synagogue and the Talmudic school from the 1800s. Along the high-rising right bank of the river there is the new town which emerged after 1951.
Photo: Z. Szmidt
THE Great WATERWAY Loop of Wielkopolska
Waterway the Bydgoszcz Canal–the Warta River
Reconstructed in 1994-95, the castle of the Opaliński family retains the 16th century cellar, which was transformed into a chapel and holds five sarcophagi of the Opaliński family, previously located in a Bernardine church. Made in the 17th century from tin and copper, and ornamented with coats of arms and coffin portraits these are excellent examples of a tinsmith’s art. Another impressive landmark is the late Renaissance
Museum – Opaliński Family Castle, photo: Z. Szmidt
Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary from 1625-39 erected to the design by Krzysztof Bonadura Starszy. The Baroque altar holds a painting entitled Descent from the Cross from 1645 by the Flemish artist Artus Wolfortt. Other notable features of the interior include the Renaissance-style choir stalls ornamented with intarsia and Baroque tombs of the Opaliński family. Since 1829 Sieraków has been home to a Stud Farm, with approx. 200 horses. Along the shores of Jaroszewskie Lake there is a large complex of leisure centres.
Former Cistercian monastery in Ląd, photo: Z. Szmidt
Its promotional slogan “Miasto z Pompą” (Town with great pomp) makes reference to its landmark, the so-called laufpompa – a cast iron pump, from 1912, connected to an artesian aquifer flowing from the depth of 90 m. Along Rynkowa, one of the lovely narrow streets, we can see an attractive layout of eight old houses facing the street with their gable ends. In the oldest part of the town there is the Classicist Church of the Martyrdom of St. John the Baptist, its original Gothic structure was erected in 1591. At Lipowiec we can see the late Classicist Evangelical Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, erected in 1838-40 to the design of a renowned architect, Karl Friedrich Schinkel. A number of old tombstones are embedded in the fencing of the church.
Skwierzyna On the bank of the War-
ta there is a harbour for boaters, with a hotel named “Dom nad Rzeką”. One of the arms of the Obra river, which is very popular with canoers, flows into the Warta here. The Gothic Church of St. Nicholas dating from the 1400s, was thoroughly reconstructed in 1861-1863. Local residents who after WWII were relocated here from Volhynia (today in Ukraine) adorned the main altar with an image of Our Lady of Klevan from the 1600s. The neo-Romanesque Church of Our Saviour was built in 1847-1854. An interesting local attraction is an exposition devoted to road engineering.
Waterway the Vistula – the Oder The Noteć River from 226.1 km to 23.2 km 225.6 km
We can visit the Museum of the Santok Gord here, whose expositions contain artefacts unearthed during archaeological excavations, and depict the history of the settlement. During the 8th-14th century the stronghold at the outlet of the Noteć to the Warta was one of the most important settlements in the country ruled by the first monarchs of the Piast dynasty. Gallus Anonymus called it “The watchtower and key to the kingdom”. You can get a good view to the area from a brick tower, with a scenic overlook, built on top of a nearby hill in 1936. On the bank of the Noteć there is a promenade with an outdoor stage, a harbour for vessels and picnic areas.
Located within the marshy valley of the Noteć, this is a lovely town with beautiful Art Nouveau houses and a neo-Renaissance town hall. In the times of the Piasts the
place used to hold the gord called Drzeń; then there was a castle, and in the early 1600s the Brandenburgians built a fortress here. Before WWII Drezdenko became part of the fortifications of the southernmost sec-
Former Franciscan monastery in Pyzdry, photo: Z. Szmidt
monasteries, and seven churches. It was in Pyzdry that cannon was used for the first time in Poland in 1383; its replica can be seen in the museum. The relics of the 19th century border between parts of Poland ruled by foreign powers is a post with Russian imperial eagles, and the reconstructed border crossing in the nearby village of Borzykowo. The former Franciscan monastery with the Church of the Beheading of John the Baptist dates from ca. 1339; the late Baroque facade and its furnishings date from the latter half of the 1700s. The monastery with medieval frescoes today is home to the Regional Museum. At the large town square we can see a wooden gable house with an arcade supported on four pillars dating from 1768. Another landmark, the Gothic Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary from the mid-15th century
A small village with a marina called Yndzel, launched in 2011. The highlights include a palace from the late 19th/early 20th century, today holding the headquarters of the local authorities, and the neo-Gothic Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus from 1910. In the village of Drawski Młyn we can see a technological landmark; the weir and lock system „Drawsko No. 21” was built in 1898. The nearby villages are inhabited by the ethnographic group called Mazurzy Wieleńscy who were brought here from the region of Mazovia by Duke Piotr Sapieha in the 18th century. The Notecka Forest in the vicinity of Drawsko is known for an abundance of mushrooms.
Located in the overflow area of the Noteć and between its canals, it was once a border town. It retains the historical layout of the Old and New Town, as well as the mansion at “Ostrów” and the palace complex. A valuable landmark is the early Baroque Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Michael the Archangel, dating from 1615, with Renaissance and Baroque furnishings. Along the right bank of the Noteć the area of a former castle is occupied by Baroque palace of the Sapieha family from 1749-50.
The birth place of Janko of Czarnków, who in the 1300s was a chronicler of King Casimir the Great. His small statue graces the square near the town hall. The Gothic Church of St. Mary Magdalene was founded in the mid-16th century by the Czarnkowski family. Inside we can see Renaissance and early Baroque tombs of the Czarnkowski family. Along the streets there are numerous houses from the
tion of the Pomeranian Line. Today there are very few traces of the old defensive systems. The old powder magazine is home to the Museum of Drawska and Notecka Forest.
176.2 km Krzyż
An important railway junction, it is called the “town of railwaymen”. The town was established in 1936 at the intersection of the tracks linking Poznań and Szczecin as well as Berlin and Bydgoszcz. The notable landmarks include the train station from the late 1800s, the neo-Romanesque Church of St. Anthony from 1882, and the railway village from the mid-19th century. The Drwa River, which is popular with enthusiasts of canoeing, flows into the Noteć in Krzyż Wielkopolski.
Śmiełów The classicist palace which we
can see here holds a museum devoted to the poet, Adam Mickiewicz. It was built in 1797 to the design by Stanisław Zawadzki for a royal chamberlain, Andrzej Gorzeński. Adam Mickiewicz came here in late August/early September 1831 and was planning to cross the border along the nearby Prosna River in order to join the November Uprising. Ultimately the poet did not cross the border and stayed in the hospitable mansions of Wielkopolska for five months. In 1975 the National Museum in Poznań opened here its branch.
Nowe Miasto nad Wartą
Contrary to its name which means “New Town on the Warta” this is a large village, which lost its municipal rights in 1934. It comprises an area of two former towns: Nowe Miasto (from 1283) and Laskówka (existing from 1664 to the 1700s). The relics of history include two central squares, one going back to the medieval town (the other is called Zielony Rynek). The highlight of the place is the Gothic Church of the Holy Trinity from the 1400s with Renaissance polychromes from the 16th century. Along the banks of the Warta there is a private marina called “Pod Czarnym Bocianem”.
The monumental post-Cistercian monastery which we can see here has been entered on the list of Heritage Sites. Cistercians were brought to Ląd after 1193 by Prince Mieszko III Stary. The Baroque structure of the monastery dates from the late 17th/early 18th century. Architects who contributed to the construction of the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Nicholas the Bishop include Tomasz Poncino, Georgio Catenazzi, Jan Koński and Giuseppe Belotti. The imposing dome (height: 38 m.), designed by Pompeo Ferrari, was ornamented with frescoes by Georg Wilhelm Neunhertz. The monastery retains Gothic style arcaded galleries, the oratory chapel of St. James from ca. 1370 with
is located near a new harbour called “Przystań Pyzdry” administered by Perkoz Water Tourism Association.
Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Czarnków, archive of the Town Hall in Czarnków
19th/20th century, with interesting facades representing eclectic styles, and Art Nouveau. From the hill called Góra Krzyżowa we can see a beautiful panorama of the town and the valley of the Noteć. Along the river there is a modern marina, the finest along the waterways of the Great Loop of Wielkopolska.
We can see here the late medieval urban layout of a settlement on an island. The most impressive landmark is the Gothic Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, whose silhouette contains an imposing tower. Inside there is a late Renaissance painting entitled Adoration of Our Lady by St. Adalbert and St. Stanislaus dating from ca. 1620. In front of the Town Hall we can see a statue of Józef Wybicki, the author of the Polish national anthem, who was a citizen of Śrem from 1791. In the suburb of Ostrówek there is a Baroque monastery complex, formerly belonging to Franciscans, with the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and a cloister, which were built in the 17th/18th century. On the high bank of the Warta there is the so-called Klasztorek (little cloister) – a former monastery, originally home to Franciscan monks, then Clarisse nuns, and then Jesuits. Nearby we can see a 44 metre tall water tower which is a distinctive feature of the town’s panorama. Śrem is one of the few towns in Wielkopolska which did not “turn its back” on the Warta. Boaters can use the local harbour and a large marina; in 2017-18 a river port will be built here. A popular Bajka cruise boat has its mooring station here.
A town located amidst forests and lakes, along the Trzcianka river, flowing into the Noteć (approx 10 km). In the 18th century it was a large centre of cloth making; it received municipal rights in 1731. In the town centre at a square we can see a fountain with Roe Deer, an informal symbol of Trzcianka. Nearby there is the neo-Baroque Church of St. John the Baptist from 1916. A classicist manor house from the mid 19th century holds the Museum of the Noteć Region. On the shore of Sarcz Lake there is a sports and recreation centre with a harbour.
Town located at the outlet of the Gwda River to the Noteć. On the high-rising edge of moraine upland (in the neighbourhood of Osiedle Górne) there is a tower with a viewing deck – you can admire a panorama of the area from here. Nearby you can see the neo-Baroque Church of St. Nicholas from 1905-07 and the Stations of the Cross at the Ujście Calvary, which was rebuilt from wartime ruins. At the Town Square, on a hill called Góra Zamkowa, there is a half-timbered building from the mid-19th century, formerly an Evangelical Church, today home to a gallery. In front of it we can see a fountain with a sculpture of a glass-maker, honouring the craft which is very common in Ujście.
A town on the Gwda with beautiful parks along the river meandering through the city. A eminent statesman, scholar and writer, Stanisław Staszic, was born here in 1755. A restored building once owned by the Staszic family today holds a biographical museum. The town does not have many historical landmarks since during WWII it was transformed by the Nazis into a fortification (the Pomeranian Line), and later destroyed. Impressive buildings include elegant edifices once holding governmental institutions: Piła used to hold headquarters of the authorities of the Frontier March of Posen-West Prussia established in 1922. Most interesting for its architectural qualities is the Church of St. Anthony of Padua erected in 1929-30 to the design by Hans Herkommer. Its main altar holds Europe’s largest wooden crucifix; the 7 metre tall sculpture was made from a single piece of wood. Within the city centre we can see the high-rising Gromada Hotel, as well as the District Museum in a building of a former Polish Consulate from 1930-1939. On the shore of Płotki Lake there is a leisure and holiday centre with various facilities, including rental of water sport equipment.
Chodzież Located within a lovely sur-
rounding of lakes and hills, the town is advertised as “A green corner of Wielkopolska”.
Village with a well-known equestrian centre called Centrum Hipiki. There are indoor riding arenas, an outdoor course, cross-country track, stables for approx. 200 horses and 200 hectares of land situated within the Rogaliński Landscape Reserve. The palace from 1912 holds a modern hotel; the old blacksmith’s shop has been transformed into a restaurant and the farm buildings are used as stables. Facilities for boaters include a dock and a mooring platform next to a barge. Nearby we can see the Gothic Church of St. Barbara from1463, expanded in the 1500s; its interiors are covered with lierne vaults. Next to the church there is a statue of Edmund Bojanowski, a religious activist and founder of the order of Sister Servants of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mother of God.
The construction of the Baroque palace, formerly a residence of the Raczyński family, was initiated in 1768, by Jan Fryderyk Knöbel, and continued by Dominik Merlini and Jan Christian Kamsetzer, who introduced Classicist elements. Around the large courtyard we can see buildings which hold horse stables, a riding arena, a coach house and servants’ lodgings. A little further there is the neo-Classicist Chapel of St. Marcellinus erected in 1817-20 and containing a mausoleum of the Raczyński family. Next to the palace there is a gallery of Polish and European art. The surrounding Baroque garden gradually changes into a natural landscape park. Amidst the ancient trees we can see the famous oaks called Lech, Czech and Rus, which are slowly approaching their end because they are a feeding ground for the Great Capricorn Beetle, an endangered species.
Mosina The 750-year old town is sit-
uated along the Mosiński Canal and at the outskirts of the Wielkopolski National Park. The town has retained the medieval layout of the centrally located square and adjoining streets. Nearby we can see an old shul from ca. 1870, today housing the Municipal Gallery and a small museum. On the bank of the Mosiński Canal there is a statue of “Dandy from Mosina”, a proverbial character associated with the town. Within Mosina, in a Park there are two new tourist attractions: a tower with observation deck on the hill called Góra Pożegowska and located nearby the legendary Napoleon’s Well. Mosina is an excellent starting point for trips into the Wielkopolski National Park.
It is sometimes called a garden-town because of its well-spaced layout of buildings merging with the green areas. It was established in 1962 by incorporating the former villages
The town retains the medieval urban layout from 1434, and the late Baroque Church of St. Florian from 1755. Within the new town dating from the 17-18th century we can see half-timbered weavers’ houses facing the street with their gable ends. In the late 1800s Chodzież was the largest producer of porcelain and porcelite in Poland. The neo-Baroque mansion from the early 1900s today holds Straszny Dwór Hotel and Restaurant. On the slope of the highest hill called Góra Talerz (132 metres above sea level) there is a skiing area (approx. 600 metres long) with a ski lift. Located below, Miejskie Lake is a popular water sports centre with harbours and Chodzieżanka cruise boat.
Osiek nad Notecią Here we can
visit the Museum of Rural Culture, the second largest exposition of this type in Poland. Its holdings comprise artefacts from the historical regions of Krajna, Pałuki and Notecka Forest dating from the 18th until the early 20th century. The collection of 28 architectural structures such as cottages, farming buildings, windmills, a church, smith’s shop, firehouse, and sawmill are arranged to recreate a traditional oval layout of a village. A pavilion holds an archaeological exposition related to the custom of cremating the dead; relics ranging from the Iron Age to the period of Roman influences were unearthed in this location. The
TOURIST INFORMATION »» Tourist Information Centre ***,
In the location formerly occupied by a Romanesque structure there is the Church of St. Nicholas reconstructed in Baroque style by Pietro Fontana in the 17th century. Its vaults hold a crypt of the Skórzewski family from the nearby Lubostroń. Modelled after Italian buildings, the Classicist palace of the Skórzewski family was designed by Stanisław Zawadzki in 1795-1800, its rotund-type hall is embellished with bass-reliefs by Michał Ceptowski. Ranking among the most beautiful Classicist palaces in Poland, today it houses a museum.
The Mouse Tower located on Rzępowski Promontory extending into Gopło Lake is
Editor: Wielkopolska Tourist Organization, www.wot.org.pl Text: Zbigniew Szmidt Translation: Jadwiga Ryba Proofreading: Timothy Downey Graphic design and the map: Studio Corner
tel. 61 851 96 45, 61 856 04 54, firstname.lastname@example.org
»» Economic Union of Śrem Region **,
of Niwka, Stare Puszczykowo, Puszczykowo and Puszczykówko. The villas which you can see here and which were designed by remarkable Polish and German architects bear witness to changes in the 19th and 20th century architectural concepts. The attraction which is particularly interesting for young tourists is the Arkady Fiedler Literary Museum with the Garden of Cultures and Tolerance. Named after a famous Polish traveller and writer, it is administered by his sons and contains artefacts brought by him from his expeditions: collections of butterflies, musical instruments, sculptures and totem art. In the garden we can see miniatures of famous monuments and statues related to ancient cultures from all over the world as well as replicas of Christopher Columbus’ ship Santa Maria, the Pyramid of Cheops, and the Hurricane fighter aircraft.
253 km-235 km
One of the most impressive cities in Poland and the capital of Wielkopolska, Poznań stands out for its wealth of history, numerous heritage sites and landmarks related to important events. Its oldest part is Ostrów Tumski, an island located between the rivers Warta and Cybina. Here we can see a number of sites linked with the beginnings of the Polish state. The Gothic Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul in its vaults holds older pre-Romanesque and Romanesque relics, including remnants of a baptismal basin and the tombs of Mieszko I and King Bolesław Chrobry. In the Golden Chapel, built in the 1800s in the Byzantine style, there is a mausoleum of the earliest Polish monarchs. In front of the cathedral stands the Gothic church of the Blessed Virgin Mary from the mid-1400s and the Psalter House from ca. 1520. Medieval fortifications of the Poznań gord can be seen in the archaeological reserve „Genius Loci”. The town on the other side of the Warta was established in 1253 by Prince Przemysł I. Around the central square we can see stylish brick houses, whose facades represent Gothic and a number of other historical styles. In the middle there is the Renaissance Town Hall. Each day at noon on its tower we can see two goats and their horn-butting ceremony. Next to the square there is a complex of buildings, formerly used by Jesuits, with a Baroque town parish church - one of
63-100 Śrem, ul. Okulickiego 3,
tel. 61 29 52 392
www.unia.srem.com.pl, email@example.com 63-100 Śrem, Pl. 20 Października 11, tel. 61 670 61 35, 600 924 173, www.cafetej.pl, firstname.lastname@example.org 62-040 Puszczykowo, ul. Poznańska 1, tel. 61 898 37 20, email@example.com »» Tourist Information Centre ***,
tel. 67 381 81 38
EQUIPMENT RENTAL: »» Canoe and Water Sports Club in Konin, 62-500 Konin, ul. Z. Urbanowskiej, tel. 886 506 735, 63 270 75 31
regularly included into itineraries following the Piast Route. According to a popular tale, within the Tower an evil ruler named Popiel was eaten alive by mice; it was also here that the first capital was established by Piast who was born in nearby Warzymowo. Earlier, during the 8th-9th century the gord of Kruszwica was a capital of the tribal state of Goplans, which in the late 9th century was incorporated into the state of Polans from Gniezno. The relics of the castle and tower, which we can see today, date from the mid-1300s. The town’s most important landmark is the Collegiate Church of Sts. Peter and Paul from 1120-40. Kruszwica is a large tourist centre with harbours for sailboat and canoes. Print: ZAPOL, www.zapol.com.pl Cover Photos: Archive of the Town Hall in Mosina, Archive of the Commune Office in Kwilcz, photo: K. Idzik ISBN 978-83-63729-28-8 Poznań 2013
»» Kajakowalnia, 64-600 Oborniki, Słonawy 3, tel. 503 753 656, www.kajakowalnia.pl firstname.lastname@example.org
»» Marina Ląd, 62-405 Ląd 137,
»» Swim Live, 64-600 Oborniki, ul. Leśniaka 11,
tel. 63 276 30 47, 507 47 83 49, www.marinalad.pl, email@example.com »» Perkoz Water Tourism Association in Pyzdry, 62-310 Pyzdry, ul. 3-Maja 23,
tel. 606 877 613, www.swimlive.pl »» Bob-Fil, 64-600 Oborniki, ul. Wodna, tel. 512 277 366 »» “U Agnieszki i Macieja” Harbour,
tel. 63 276 83 13, 796 675 212,
Maciej Szopiński, 64-607 Kiszewo,
Stobnica 15, tel. 61 297 19 51, 69 76 23 418, firstname.lastname@example.org
»» Tomasz Wojtyński, 62-310 Pyzdry, ul. 3-Maja 23,
»» “Na skarpie” River Harbour,
tel. 63 276 83 13, 608 035 412
Piotr Matuszewski, 64-510 Wronki,
»» “Bajka” cruise boat, Company „Finezja” s. c., 63-100 Śrem, ul. Brzechwy 27/2, tel. 603 137 788, www.statekbajka-srem.pl,
ul. Rzeczna, tel. 503 571 590, 502 098 698, www.szkutnik.com.pl, email@example.com »» River tours, Joanna Kubacka, 64-510 Wronki,
Obelzanki 8a, tel. 791 517 629, 502 654 067,
»» “Na plebanii” Agritourist Facility in Jaszkowo, 63-112 Brodnica, Jaszkowo 10, tel. 502 657 037, www.naplebanii.pl,
firstname.lastname@example.org »» Sports and Recreation Centre, 64-410 Sieraków, ul. Poznańska 28, tel. 61 29 52 868
email@example.com »» Jaszkowo Equestrian Centre, Jaszkowo 16,
»» “Czapla” Regional Canoeing Association,
63 112 Brodnica, tel. 61 283 75 56,
64-410 Sieraków, ul. Poznańska 28,
tel. 601 87 45 87, firstname.lastname@example.org,
»» DIsport Izabela Dylewska, 61-065 Poznań, ul. Wilcza 16, email@example.com, www.disport.com.pl
www.klubczapla.pl »» Canoe station Piotr Czarnecki, 64-400 Międzychód, ul. Wały Jana Kazimierza, tel. 667 277 560, www.czarny-kajaki.pl
»» Ravelion s.c., 60-566 Poznań, ul. Szamotulska 59a/17, tel. 516 726 863,
»» „Dom nad rzeką” Hotel and Restaurant,
516 726 864, firstname.lastname@example.org,
66-440 Skwierzyna, ul. Mostowa 3,
tel. 95 717 21 06, 95 717 30 00,
»» Delfin, 64-600 Oborniki, ul. Bielawska 8, tel. 607 387 952, www.nauka-plywalnia.pl
»» “Władysław Łokietek” passanger boat, Schools of Inland Navigation, 89-100 Nakło nad Notecią, ul. Poznańska 3, tel. 69 385 50 17, www.zegluganaklo.pl, email@example.com »» „Popiel” Sailing Club, LOK Kruszwica,
»» Jan Adamski, 64 761 Krzyż Wlkp.,
As early as the Middle Ages the town was recognized as the capital of the region of Krajna. Its location along the Noteć and the Bydgoszcz Canal facilitated the town’s industrial growth. We can see here many houses and villas whose architecture makes reference to fashionable historical styles. We can visit the Museum of Krajna Region located in one of the 5 old granaries. A valuable landmark is the neo-Renaissance Church of St. Lawrence from the first half of the 1800s. On the bank of the Noteć there is a sports complex administered by the Schools of Inland Navigation, with a marina and Władysław Łokietek passenger boat.
firstname.lastname@example.org »» Municipal Public Library, 64-800 Chodzież, ul. Kościuszki 32,
Nakło nad Notecią
tel. 67 210 50 04,
tel. 61 852 61 56, email@example.com
tel. 662 728 361, www.metanadrawie.pl,
tel. 95 748 27 01 »» Regional Culture Centre *,
61-772 Poznań, Stary Rynek 59/60,
64-761 Krzyż Wlkp., Łokacz Wielki 54,
raine hills here are of significant height, (e.g. Dębowa Góra 192 metres above sea level) and rise 140 m above the level of the Noteć.
ul. 17 Stycznia 100,
64-920 Piła, pl. Staszica 1,
»» Ekoinfo Centre**,
»» Canoe harbour „Meta na Drawie”,
nearby areas are truly picturesque, the mo-
»» Regional Museum, 64-400 Międzychód,
»» Municipal Information Centre,
66-530 Drezdenko, tel. 95 762 56 05
Museum of Rural Culture in Osiek nad Notecią, archive of District Office in Piła
»» Museum – Opaliński Family Castle, 64-410 Sieraków, ul. Stadnina 3A,
tel./fax: 61 283 27 04,
»» Marek Paś, Przeborowo 30,
Waterway the Bydgoszcz Canal – the Warta River 146.6 km – 0.0 km 116 km
61-728 Poznań, ul. Ratajczaka 44,
tel. 63 246 32 48, www.turystyka.konin.pl , firstname.lastname@example.org Arkady Fiedler Literary Museum in Puszczykowo, archive of the Town Hall in Puszczykowo
»» City Information Centre ****,
62-510 Konin, ul. Dworcowa 2,
Przesieki 26, tel. 692 146 426
88-150 Kruszwica, ul. Żeglarska 1, tel. 52 351 55 74, 601 423 230,
»» Mirosław Wiśniewski, Przesieki 23, tel. 67 253 10 00, 502 335 624
»» “Świderek” Leisure Centre along Królewskie Lake, Adam Świderski, 64 761 Krzyż Wlkp., ul. Mickiewicza 36, tel. 512 353 097 »» Robert Boch, 64 761 Krzyż Wlkp., ul. Daszyńskiego 14,
»» E & T Marine, 62-561 Ślesin, ul. Napoleona 15b, tel. 783 031 936 »» Termy Ślesińskie Sp. z o.o., 62-561 Ślesin, ul. Napoleona 15b, tel. 63 270 40 48, 63 270 41 68, www.termy-slesinskie.com.pl,
tel. 672 564 412, 514 929 277
»» Marina Harbour, 64-700 Czarnków, ul. Rybaki 30, tel. 784 681 214,
»» “Verano” Spa and Recreation Centre, 62-561 Ślesin, ul. Leśna 5, tel. 63 270 41 32,
»» Wojciech Rybarczyk, tel. 662 728 361, email@example.com
»» “Pawełek” ship, lake cruises along the route from Kruszwica to Konin, Town Hall of
»» “Kotwica” canoe and boat rental, Mariusz Michałek, Góra nad Notecią 85, 64-700 Czarnków, tel. 67 255 55 76, 507 229 905 »» Tourist and Leisure Centre in Płotki, Płotki k/Piły, tel. 67 212 26 99, 67 212 70 74, www.mosir.pila.pl, firstname.lastname@example.org »» Kazimierz Przydatek, 64-920 Piła,
Ślesin, 62-561 Ślesin, ul. Kleczewska 15, tel. 63 270 40 11 w.11 »» Community Culture Centre in Mielnica Duża – rental of water sport equipment, tel. 63 268 55 46. »» Agua Skulsk Irena Wesołowska – rental of water sport equipment on the lake,
Al. Niepodległości 179, tel. 606 949 654,
Skulska Wieś – tel. 661 261 963,
MAJOR EVENTS: »» Canoeing down the Warta: Konin – Ląd (June) »» Canoeing along the route of navigation locks of the Great Loop of Wielkopolska (July) Konin »» Regional Amateur Canoeing Rally Ląd – Pyzdry (May) »» Opening (2nd half of May) and closing (1st half of Oct.) of motor boating season – “Wodniacy Śrem” Association »» Canoeing rallies with “Śremski Sport” Company (from May to Sept.) »» Music festival “I love Śrem Blues nad Wartą” (1st half of Sept.) »» International “Warta-Tour” Canoeing
»» Warta Top National Canoeing Marathon (June), Wielkopolska Association for Water Tourism and Recreation Warta Poznań »» Beginning of boating season (April), end of boating season (October) – “Aplaga” Boaters’ Association in Oborniki »» Night of Summer Solstice at the Lock in Krostkowo (June) »» Blue Riband Regatta – Days of Ślesin (July) »» Competition for the Wielkopolska Voivode’s Cup (August) OSiR Ślesin »» Regatta for the Cup of the President of Zespół Elektrowni PAK (September) Konin-Gosławice
Event, (June/July), Wielkopolska Association
»» The Holiday of the Noteć in Czarnków (July)
for Water Tourism and Recreation
»» Event called “Let’s talk in dialects”,
Warta Poznań »» Warta Challenge National Canoeing
at YNDZEL Harbour (June) »» Motor-boat rally in Drawsko (May)
Marathon (August), Wielkopolska Association
»» Canoeing along „YNDZEL” in Drawsko (August)
for Water Tourism and Recreation Warta
»» Powerboat World Championship in Skulsk
50 km Skąpe
Capital of Voivodship
ka Łu ż
Talsperre Spremberg Lake; artificial lake with dam
Trzebiel Krajobrazowy Łuk Mużakowa
Petrol station, ferry
Car park, food outlet, grocery shop
GŁOGÓW Jerzmanowa Grębocice
Go ło p
Po Rów lski
OSTRÓW WIELKOPOLSKI SULMIERZYCE
Goszczanów dr nia
Opatówek Skalmierzyce Ołobok
Campsite, camping area
Bó r b
WARTA Szczytniki Godziesze Wielkie
Brzeźnica Motor repair workshop, boat repair workshop
Landscape reserve boundary
Rental of water sport equipment, slipway
O GSanitary Ó facilities, R possibility S K to connect I Eto electricity,KOŻUCHÓW drinking water
National park boundary DÖBERN
L O N
Elevation points, scenic overlooks
Nowe Miasto n. Wartą
-Czeszewski P. K.
Harbour, mooring station, platform
Airport terminal, FORSTairport
Włoszakowice Wijewo Krajobrazowy
Regular gauge railway, train station, train stop
River, canal; bog
Wooden architecture; other attraction NOWOGRÓD
im. Gen. Dezyderego
Open air museum; museum
Sanctuary; historic church
tr arna S Cz
Number of road: motorway; expressway; international road; Nenational road, regional road Brody
Palace, castle, mansion
os i łM
a sz Lub
al Junctions; customer service, fee collection point
i zańsk Obr
Dąbie The route of the Great Loop of Wielkopolska
KROSNO Capital of Commune Śrem ODRZAŃSKIE
Capital of District
J. Głuszyńskie Topólka
Obr za Pł k i d.
Pli sz ka
Od reera- Ka Sp n a rew l a
ŁA G O WSK I E
Krajobrazowy Ob ra
Kaźmierz Tarnowo Podgórne
Zakrzewo Kanał B ach orz e
W a rt
J. Je zio rsk o
MUROWANA GOŚLINA Park
No Zal. Radzyny
SULĘCIN L A S Y
ica y or
N I E M C Y
J. Żnińskie Duże
rta Wa WRONKI
Regional road with single carriageway and junctions; under construction
Budzyń J. Kaliszańskie
Nowa Wieś Wielka
Regional road with dual carriageway and junctions; under construction Bobrowice
A D N
National road with dual carriageway and junctions; under construction GUBEN National road with single carriagewayGUBIN and junctions; under construction
ski Kan. Bydgo
Motorway with junctions, under construction
A2 S5 E30 11 241
a wk kó Bu
ra Od er
KOSTRZYN UJŚCIE nad Odrą
Osiek n. Notecią
NAKŁO nad Notecią
G O R Z O W S K A
10 EISEN5 HÜTTENSTADT
P U S Z C Z A
P I Ł A W S K I E
Od ra Rurzyca
O Ka dern S
Mied wi e
Cedyński Park LUBIECHOWS KA
a nk bżo
D a raw
ra P U S Z C Z A Od
Kró wk a
N I E M C Y
B U KO WA
PU SZCZ A
B O R Y
a aw Dr
yca brz Do
THE Great WATERWAY Loop of Wielkopolska J. Lubie
Warlubie GDAŃSK Krajobr.
J. Małe Dąbie
o nd Ra
GOLENIOWS K IE BRÜSSOW
Published on Oct 11, 2013