Little Paper Ever Read®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ©2014
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
March 6, 2014
Published by: Wick Publications • 701-772-8239
ODD DOTS ON THE MAP by Patricia L. Cook
We all feel the same commitment to care for our families. Helping you meet sharonopdahl.com your insurance needs is part 2534 17th Ave. S. • Suite F Grand Forks, ND 58201 of my commitment to you. Like a good neighbor, 701-746-0495 State Farm is there.® sharonopdahl.com CALL ME TODAY.
State Farm, Home Office, Bloomington, IL
We Fix iPad SCREENS! We replace screens on: • iPads • iPods • iPhones • Smartphones • Tablets See store for details
757-1899 See store for details
TIDBITS DIRECTS YOU TO SOME
Sharon Opdahl, Agent Sharon Opdahl 2534 17th Avenue South Grand Forks, ND 58201 Agent Bus: 701-746-0495
Family is why we do it all.
1003 S. Washington St. Grand Forks, ND (across from Gerrells)
The Most Maneuverable Vacuum In the World
When studying maps, whether with an atlas, a fold out map or internet mapping site like Google Maps, some names just kind of jump out at you. Many strange and funny names dot maps around the globe! Tidbits will direct you to a few. • Toponymy is “the study of place names.” Many places were named for historical events, persons or naturally occurring landmarks. Some have strange names that seem to have come from joking comedians or drunken sailors! • To start off with a laugh, a funny dot on maps of Quebec is Baie des Ha! Ha! This is a hamlet near the Ha! Ha! River, which has five dams, all named Ha! Ha! (numbered 1-5). There is also a Pointe des Ha! Ha!, Bridge Lake Ha! Ha!, Park Ha! Ha!, and more! The areas are all interesting and beautiful spots in Quebec. Remember that Canada has both English and French as their national languages. The French meaning of “haha” is “an unexpected obstacle on the path.” Sort of explains where the names must come from. • Another interesting place in eastern Canada is Blow Me Down Provincial Park near Deer Lake, Newfoundland. The wind does blow across and over the Blow Me Down Mountains but the park actually has lots of trees to shield visitors from the wind. Turn the page for more!
WANT TO RUN YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Publish a
Anything else is a compromise
We provide the opportunity for success!
For Every Edge, Every Curve, Every Corner • Very Quiet Vacuum • Self Adjusting • Works on Carpet & Hard Floors • Long Hose & Attachments • Long 39 Foot Cord
Manufactured to Miele’s 20-Year Life Specifications
House of Vacuums 746-9300 • 1-800-481-9303
Chad Hoge, DDS, MS
Mrs. ack says... “Let Us Give You Your Pursuit of Happiness!” “Shayla” Also Available in Black
Incredible Arch Support and Slip Resistance
Grand Forks Grand Cities Mall
M-F 10-7 • Sat 10-5 • Sun 12-4
Call our Fireplace Experts today!
Remote with Fireplace Purchase Stop by & visit our Fireplace Showroom
1318 12th Ave. S. • Grand Forks, ND
“Say Cheese” Give a Pint of Blood Enjoy one FREE pint & Receive of frozen a FREEcustard As part of our Give A Pint, Get A Pint program, we’dMini like toMac thank you for your lifesaving donation to Dak Minn Blood Bank in April by treating you to a pint of our fresh, delicious frozen custard. Available in vanilla, chocolate and our always popular flavor of the day, Culver’s® Frozen Custard is so smooth and creamy, it’s better than ice ecream. In Only!
Not valid with any other coupon, offer, or discount. Limit one coupon per customer. No cash calue. Expires 4/30/14
A dentist with 2 years of additional training beyond dental school to specialize in dental care for infants, children & adolescents. Your child will love coming to see us!
410 N. Washington St., Grand Forks www.vacsgf.com
Paper in Your Area
Call 1.800.523.3096 (U.S.) 1.866.631.1567 (CAN)
Issue # 858
Call or e-mail an appointment: Check yourforeligibility date and
(5433) call for an appointment: 780-LIFE
Mikala Hoge, DDS
firstname.lastname@example.org 780-LIFE (5433) or e-mail www.dakminnbloodbank.org email@example.com
3375 www.dakminnbloodbank.org DeMers Ave. Grand Forks
Looking for a specific product? We can special order it for you! Call Us at 746-1800
1395 S Columbia Rd • Grand Forks Hours: M-F 9-7, Sat. 9-1:30
COMPLETE HEARING AID CARE • Complimentary Hearing Evaluation • 60 Day Hearing Aid Trial • Service Most Makes
2514 S. Washington • Grand Forks Hours: • Mon-Fri 9-5 • Sat 9-1
746-7000 • 1-800-658-3442 • www.wakefieldhearing.com
5. Name the song that contains this lyric: “Who can I turn to, You give me something I can hold on to, I know you’ll think I’m like the others before, Who saw your name and number on the wall.” 6. What U.S. president’s library boasts a three-ton chunk of the Berlin Wall? 7. What company produced computers named Quadra and Performa?
1. What is a group of adult alligators called? 2. What does the acronym BTU stand for? 3. In which famous novel does the character of Madame Therese Defarge appear? 4. What quadrennial event did Ted Turner lose over $100 million on, through the 1990s? • Fireplaces & Stoves • Gas, Wood, Electric, Pellet & Corn • Inserts • Mantels • Glass Doors • Fireplace Accessories
TRIVIA SPONSORED BY: NAME BRANDS LIKE:
• Avalon • Fireplace Extrordinair • Hearthstone • Heatilator
• Dimplex • Majestic • Napolean • Quadra-Fire • Lennox
on ANY FIREPLACE • MUST SHOW COUPON •
Sales & Installation
Over a Dozen Burning Displays at:
4224 Gateway Dr. • Grand Forks
ODD DOTS ON THE MAP (continued): • When the town of Deer Lake was named in the late 1800s, it was named for the many “deer” who often crossed the local lake. Those deer were actually caribou. • A whistle on the roof of the Deer Lake Power Plant was placed there during construction in the early 1920s. An air raid siren that was brought to Newfoundland from England, it is still used today. Local residents listen for the whistle to know whether they are on time for work, ready for lunch, or ready to end their work day. It is sounded Monday to Saturday but silent on Sunday. The whistle also is blown in honor of several Canadian holidays. • If you do happen to visit Blow Me Down Park and Deer Lake in Newfoundland you should also head southwest and see Jerry’s Nose. Why? Because a place with a name like that should be interesting! • Heading way south, actually to the southern hemisphere, there is a lone rock hill in Queensland, Australia that is named Bang Bang Jump Up! This may make you wonder if a hunter found a large kangaroo years ago! • Hat Head National Park in New South Wales Australia boasts sand dunes, wetlands, the clear waters of the Tasman Sea and beautiful beaches. As opposed to “bed head,” which means bad hair, this is a place where a hat is needed for protection from the sunshine. It is about seven hours south of the Sunshine Coast of Queensland, Australia. • There are many odd place names in all countries, including the United States. The state claiming New York City, one of the most fashion forward, sophisticated cities in the world, is also where Hoosick and Owl’s Head are located. However, there is also an Owl’s Head, Maine. Additionally, Maine has Bald Head and Suckerville on the map.
Newly Remodeled! (701) 772-3505 Sports Chiropractic Specialist
Commonly Treated Pain Areas: Back • Neck • Shoulder • Hip • Elbow • Wrist • Knee • Ankle
2600 DeMers Ave. #110 • Grand Forks, ND
Jordan McIntyre DC • MS • CSCS
NEW PATIENTS WELCOME !
Coming Soon: Drop-Off Laundry 816 University Ave. Grand Forks, ND
WALK-INS WELCOME Grand Forks
701-746-1750 East Grand Forks
For new customers with paid tax preparation. Valid at participating locations. Cannot be combined with other offers or used toward past services. One coupon per return. Offer expires April 5, 2014.
END OF SEASON • 100% CYAN
©2014 King Features Synd., Inc. All rights reserved
• 100% MAJENTA • 100% YELLOW • 100% NOIR
Grama Butterwick’s Family Restaurant
REMOTE START SYSTEMS
Large Breakfast Menu
Startin g at $249.9 9
Hours: M-F 7-4 • Sat. 8-4 • Sun. 8-3
1421 S. Washington St. • Grand Forks
4. Who has coached the most NFL postseason games with a single franchise? 1. In 2013, Michael Cuddyer set 5. The Texans’ Andre Johnson, a Colorado Rockies record in 2012, became the second for most consecutive games NFL player to have 100 reaching base in a season (46). catches and 1,500 receiving Who had held the mark? yards in at least three sea2. In 2013, Usain Bolt tied for sons. Who was the first? the top spot in world champi- 6. In the 2012-13 college onship career medals for men basketball season, Ben in track and field, with 10. McLemore broke the Kansas Who also has 10? freshman single-game record 3. Who has won golf’s U.S. with 36 points. Who had Senior Open the most times? held the mark?
Remote Starts & Security Check us out for the
BEST PRICES in Town on
60+ Years Experience
701-738-0713 • 1323 8th Ave. S., Grand Forks
ODD DOTS ON THE MAP (continued): • Speaking of suckers, if you’ve driven across the U.S. on Interstate 40 you’ve probably noticed signs for Toad Suck Park, near Conway, Arkansas. Years ago, Toad Suck was a steamboat stop on the Arkansas River. The legend is that riverboat crews would visit a local tavern and “suck whiskey until they swelled up like toads!” The name is still used today for a U.S. Corps of Engineers Lock and Dam, a bridge, and the popular “Toad Suck Daze” festival held in Conway each May. • By the way, most Americans say the name of the Arkansas River using the same pronunciation used for the state: Ar-can-saw. People in the state of Kansas call it the Ar-Kansas, with emphasis on their state name! • Kansas has a small unincorporated town named Canada. David Christie, Speaker of the Canadian Senate from 1874-1878, sent his sons to purchase land in Kansas and other Canadians followed. • Some places have names that have no known reason for their origin. Maybe the answer to those origin questions should be submitted to Why, Arizona! Why is a community about thirty miles north of the Mexican border near Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. The town name originated from the Y intersection of State Routes 85 and 86. Arizona law required all city names to have at least three letters – or it would have simply been “Y.” By the way, the intersection has since been changed to a T intersection.
Ship a 10 lb. box to the Twin Cities overnight for only $11! Other guys charge over $50
First Time Shipping with Spee-Dee or any Printed Promotional Product • Expires 6-1-14 SHIP FOR LESS IN THE MIDWEST *See our website for map of shipping area.
LOCATION: Behind K-Mart Integrity
1826 S. Washington St. • Suite 33B • Grand Forks 701-402-2171 • www.integrityshippingandmore.com
Grand Cities Mall
• If you are looking for Grit, Noodle or Cut and Shoot, you need to go to the state of Texas. Grit was so-named after the texture of the soil. Noodle was named after Noodle Creek, which according to old folk tradition meant “nothing,” meaning the creek bed was dry.
We Proudly Serve
Green Mountain Coffee & Valley Dairy’s Famous Cappuccino
Find us on Facebook
• Boarding • Daycare • Grooming • Training
Doggie Swimming Pool
Lovin’ Care when you can’t be there!
See our Virtual Tour at: /wagntrain
Located 1/2 mile west of Airport Rd. on 32nd Ave. S. • Grand Forks
4X4 OFF ROAD STUFF
your local agent Medical & agent for Contact Contact your local for more information: moreMedicare information: t for more information: Coverage <Agent Name> Financial Services <Agency Name> <Address> Roger Parkinson • 701-772-1872 H2409, H2410, H2450_2058 (01-2009) <City, ST ZIP> ©2009 Medica. Medica contracts with the federal government. <Phone> 2750 17th Ave. S. • Ste. B • Grand Forks <Hours of Operation> >
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
by Linda Thistle
2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
OVER 10,000 TRUCK ACCESSORY PARTS SUSPENSION & LIFT KITS OFF ROAD TIRES & WHEELS BUMPERS & WINCHES S P R AY • Running Boards • Nerf Bars • Access Covers B EDLINE-IN • Bedliners • Snow Plows • Truck Caps RS • Bedslides • Rancher Grille Guards • Tool Boxes • Westin Accessories • Chrome Stuff • & More!
Place a number in the empty boxes in such a way that each row across, each column down and each small 9-box square contains all of the numbers from one to nine.
DIFFICULTY THIS WEEK: Moderate
Challenging HOO BOY!
© 2014 King Features Synd., Inc. World rights reserved.
6105 Gateway Drive • Grand Forks, ND 701-746-0083 • 800-279-7492 • Hours: M-F 9-6 and Sat. 9-3
Extra Copies Available at: • All Valley Dairy Stores • Home of Economy • Chamber of Commerce
Tired of paying more than $129 a month for your Medicare supplement plan? Medica® has affordable Medicare plans with the features you value: • Tobacco users pay the same premium • No health underwriting • Does not replace your Original Medicare • No waiting for Medicare enrollment periods • Large network of doctors and hospitals
Call me today to learn more:
Licensed Insurance Agent
000-000-0000 Financial Services 00:00 a.m. to 00:00 p.m. Roger Parkinson • 701-772-1872 Monday – Friday
2750 17th Ave. S. • Ste. B • Grand Forks
Medicare plans made simple. For more call Medica’s Center for Healthy at 1-800-906-5432. 8 a.m. For moreinformation, information, call Medica’s CenterAging for toll-free Healthy AgingSM toll-free atto 8 p.m CT, 7 days a week. TTY users, please call the National Relay Center at 1-800-855-2880. You must continue to 1-800-906-5432, a.m. toMedica 8 p.m. days users, pleasein call pay your Medicare Part B8premium. is aCT, Cost7plan withaa week. MedicareTTY contract. Enrollment Medica depends on contract renewal. Y0088_3450 CMS Accepted. You must continue to pay © 2013 Medica the National Relay Center at 1-800-855-2880. your Medicare Part B premium. Medica is a Cost plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in Medica depends on contract renewal. Y0088_3450 CMS Accepted © 2013 Medica.
ODD DOTS ON THE MAP (continued): • Cut and Shoot was named when a religious dispute concerning a visiting preacher arose in the Texas town. Some wanted to hear him and some didn’t! An eight-year-old said, “I’m scared! I’m going to cut around the corner and shoot through the bushes in a minute!” He did cut but didn’t shoot and his words lived on in the town name! • While all places have histories, the small towns of Remote and Boring in Oregon must not have been as lively as Cut and Shoot. No Name, Colorado also missed out on a lively name. • Hot Coffee, Mississippi got its name from an innkeeper who attached a sign shaped like a coffee pot to his building to attract business in the 1800s. The inn’s business grew and the area adopted the name. • Two Egg, Florida was originally named Allison after a family-owned sawmill. During the Great Depression locals began trading eggs for other needs at the general store. The practice saved the town, and the name Two Egg was adopted. Tiny little Two Egg is still on the map! • Many strange names dot the map of Kentucky. Monkey’s Eyebrow, Rabbit Hash, Big Bone Lick, and Possom Trot are some of the peculiar ones. However, you have to go to Missouri to get to Peculiar and if you are interested in bigger critters like moose, maybe a visit to Eek, Alaska would be fun! • For the longest place name in the world, head down under to beautiful New Zealand. Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu is a hill where a chief of the native Maori tribe mourned the loss of his brother. It means “the hilltop where Tamatea with big knees, conqueror of mountains, eater of land, traveler over land and sea, played his koauau to his beloved.”
Would You Like Tidbits in Your Waiting Area? Call Tidbits @ 772-8239 It’s FREE and your customers will love it!
• Trudeau was born October 18, 1919 in Montreal and grew up in the wealthy suburb of Outremont. His full name was Joseph Philippe Pierre Yves Elliott Trudeau. He and his two siblings grew up speaking French and English; their mother was of French and Scottish heritage, their father was French Canadian.
CONCEALED WEAPONS TESTING
Pierre Trudeau was one of the most widely known prime ministers in Canada’s history. He served as his country’s top leader for sixteen years, from 1968 until 1984.
d Cities Gam n ra G 120 N. Wash. St. Grand Forks
Grand Forks Gun Show at Alerus Center
• Comics • Trading Cards • Warhammer • Board Games • RPGs • Dice • Gaming Rooms
@Table with Black & Yellow Banner North Dakota Testing
Sat., March 8 • 9am-5pm Sun., March 9 • 9am-2pm
Getting your refund starts with • After graduating from Collège Jean-demaking your appointment. Brébeuf, an elite Jesuit preparatory school,
35+ State UT, MN, AZ, FL Permit Class
Sat., March 8 • 5:15pm Sun., March 9 • 3:15pm
Digital Fingerprints & Pictures Available • Seating is Limited • Cash, Debit, Credit Cards Accepted
Trudeau received a law degree from the UniCall for Reservations: You don’t at want just any tax professional. You want a tax professional who versity of Montreal. He also studied Har701-720-9958 understands your situation and will get you every credit and deduction you vard, the Institut d’Études Politiques de Paris, Like Us on Facebook: BOARD GAMES deserve. Review tax pro profiles, pictures and experience at hrblock.com to Expires 3-28-14 and the London School of Economics. He had www.facebook.com/midwesttacticsllc match and make an appointment today. a reputation as a flamboyantfind andyour charismatic intellectual. He was clever, witty and quite Put our expertise to work for you. controversial at times.
Getting your refund starts with making your appointment.
• The press and many Canadians loved having Trudeau as their leader but, as with any politician, he also had many who did not agree with 701-746-0425 2475 32ndin Ave S, GrandYou Forks ND just 58201 don’t, want any tax professional. You want a tax professional his liberal ways. Trudeau wore sandals Can701-746-7361 2600 Demers Ave , Grand Forks, ND 58201 who understands your situation and will get you every credit and deada’s House of Commons, used obscenities 218-793-0034 ductionForks, you deserve. Review tax pro profiles, pictures and experience 210 Gateway Dr, East Grand MN 56721 occasionally when referring to his opponents at hrblock.com to find your match and make an appointment today. and actually did a pirouette behind Queen Put our expertise to work for you. Elizabeth II! • He was married from 1971 to 1984 to Margaret with whom he had three sons. He also had a daughter later with Deborah Coyne in 1991. Trudeau dated several celebrities, such as Barbra Streisand, Kim Cantrell and Margot Kidder, adding to his own high profile celebOBTP#B13696 ©2013 HRB Tax Group, Inc. rity status. He had an eight-year relationship with British actress and musician, Liona Boyd. Trudeau’s love life both thrilled and embarrassed Canadians.
Tidbits is Available at:
All Grand Forks, East Grand Forks & Crookston locations of:
and Grand Forks
4 Area Locations: 2475 32nd Ave. S. Grand Forks, ND 701-746-0425
210 Gateway Dr. NE East Grand Forks, MN 218-793-0034
2600 DeMers Ave. Grand Forks, ND 701-746-7361
107 E. 2nd St. Crookston, MN 218-281-3658
OBTP#B13696 ©2013 HRB Tax Group, Inc.
PIERRE TRUDEAU (continued): • Trudeau’s influence and policies established him as a political giant in Canadian history. He was prime minister when Canada adopted the Official Languages Act, establishing English and French as the national languages, in 1969.
UNITED STATES PRESIDENTS Thomas Jefferson
Scan to Learn More
MOMENTS IN TIME • On March 16, 1802, The United States Military Academy -- the first military school in the United States, located at West Point, N.Y. -- is founded by Congress for the purpose of educating and training young men in the theory and practice of military science. In 1870, the first black cadet was admitted, and in 1976, the first female cadets. • On March 15, 1820, as part of the Missouri Compromise between the North and the South, Maine is admitted into the Union as the 23rd state. The entrance of Maine as a free state was agreed to by Southern senators in exchange for the entrance of Missouri as a slave state. • On March 12, 1888, the most severe winter storm ever to hit the New York City region reaches blizzard proportions. The 36-hour blizzard dumped some 40 inches of snow, and for several weeks the city was virtually isolated from the rest of the country by the massive snowdrifts. • On March 10, 1927, Robert Kearns, who patented a design for the intermittent windshield wiper, is born in Gary, Ind. Kearns later
The History Channel
won a multi-million dollar judgments against Chrysler ($20 million) and Ford ($10 million) for using his concept without permission. • On March 11, 1942, during World War II, Gen. Douglas MacArthur leaves the Philippines as the American defense of the islands against the Japanese collapses. MacArthur had received a message from President Franklin D. Roosevelt on Feb. 20 ordering him to leave immediately. He finally obeyed the president's order on March 11. • On March 14, 1964, Jack Ruby, the Dallas nightclub owner who killed Lee Harvey Oswald -- the accused assassin of President John F. Kennedy -- is found guilty of murdering Oswald "with malice" and sentenced to die in the electric chair. • On March 13, 1979, power pitcher Johan Santana is born in Tovar Merida, Venezuela. He went on to become the dominant left-handed pitcher in baseball from 2003 to 2006 and won the Cy Young Award as the American League's top pitcher in 2004 and again in 2006.
• He also lead the country through the most serious terrorist acts ever on Canadian soil, the October Crisis in 1970. The quick and strong response to stop the Front De Libération Du Québec (FLQ) involving in two kidnappings and the murder of Québec Labour Minister Pierre Laporte, lead to the invocation of the War Measures Act. This controversial act gave the government broad powers, including stationing armed soldiers on Parliament Hill to maintain security and order. The act was only used during the two world wars and the October Crisis. A famous line from Trudeau used in a news conference concerning how far he would go to maintain order, was: “Well, just watch me! • Probably the most memorable action with the most significant change for the country of Canada was when Trudeau lead the government leadership in total separation from the United Kingdom (UK). Patriation occurred in 1982, transferring legal powers from the UK to Canada. Canada became an autonomous country, adopting its own constitution, including a charter of rights. • The popular Trudeau left many memories, political and otherwise, for Canadians and people all over the world. During his years in office, the term “Trudeaumania” was widely used referring to his style and influence. The sports cars he drove along with the trademark rose in his lapel will remain a part of history. He died on September 28, 2000, in Montreal, a few weeks before his 81st birthday.
© 2014 King Features Synd., Inc.
Tell ‘Em You Saw Their Ad in Tidbits! Advertisers make Tidbits possible
Tidbits of Grand Forks/ East Grand Forks is Locally Owned and Operated.
STAR H MAP
by Linda Thistle
Draw a star in exactly 10 of the empty squares in the diagram below so that each numbered square accurately indicates how many immediately adjacent squares (horizontally, vertically or diagonally) contain a star.
Sale Ends March 15th
Home Owned & Operated Since 1939
#50640 (5674-0000) • Reg. $4.99
NATURE’S CRYSTAL 24-pk Bottled Water
H Easy HH Moderate HHH Yowza
(35-4390) Reg. $3.99
© 2014 King Features Synd., Inc.
Hurry In For
14” Chop Saw Wheel #DWA8011 (5425-5678) Reg. $4.99
Hwy. 81 North • Grand Forks, ND • Hours: M-F 8-8 • Sat. 8-6 • Sun. 12-5
• CLOTHING • HOUSE HOLD ITEMS • FURNITURE • KIDS TOYS & LINENS • & MUCH MORE!
D O N AT IO N S NEEDED! Donations benefit Grand Forks CVIC
1375 S. Columbia Rd., Grand Forks • 701-757-0451 (Located in the strip mall next to Scheels) • Hours: M-Sat: 9-6
∑ ø œ ∑ ø œ ΩΩ ∂∂ ¬¬ ˚ßß ƒƒ ˚ Justask ask us.us. Just Bill Gose | 701-746-4541 Bill Gose 701-746-4541 JustI ask us.| Grand Forks 2915 South Washington Street
(Next Happy Joe 2915BillS. Washington St. Gose |to701-746-4541 Grand Forks, ND 2915 South Washington Street | Grand Forks
(Next(Next to Happy Joes) to Happy Joe
Some discounts, coverages, payment plans and features are not available in all states or in all GEICO companies. See geico.com for more details. GEICO and Affiliates. Washington DC 20076. GEICO Gecko image © 1999-2013. © 2013 GEICO.
Some discounts, coverages, payment plans and features are not available in all states or in all GEICO companies. See geico.com for
Some discounts, coverages, payment plans and features are not available in all states or in all GEICO companies. more details. GEICO and Affiliates. Washington DC 20076. GEICO See geico.com for more details. GEICO and Affiliates. Washington DC 20076. GEICO Gecko image © 1999-2013. Gecko image © 1999-2013. © 2013 GEICO.© 2013 GEICO.
Zion United Methodist Church
1001 24th Ave. S. • Grand Forks, ND • 701-772-1893
© 2014 by King Features Syndicate. All rights reserved
• Coffee Fellowship: 9:00 am • Sunday School: 9:15 am • Worship Service: 10:30 am
GREAT DOUGH! While many think of money when they see the word, “dough,” this information is about the use of dough in baking some of the world’s favorite breads. • The topic of bread dough is enormous so a few “little” facts about some popular breads will fill this Tidbits section quickly. • Let’s start with the Pillsbury Dough Boy. An icon of advertising in America known around the world, “Poppin’ Fresh” is the doughboy’s official name. Created by the Leo Burnett advertising agency in 1965, the doughboy debuted in a crescent roll commercial. Within three years he had an 87% recognition factor. • The doughboy’s first words were,”Hi! I’m Poppin’ Fresh, the Pillsbury Doughboy!” As he popped out of the canned rolls, he also said, “Nothin’ says lovin’ like bakin’ in the oven, and Pillsbury says it best.” Since the beginning, the doughboy has been dressed in a chef’s hat bearing the Pillsbury logo, a white neckerchief and his soft “doughy” body. He is known for his cute giggle when poked in the tummy!
by Samantha Weaver
© 2014 King Features Synd., Inc.
• BeaverTails Canada Inc. has a corner on the market in the northern country with its famous pastries called “BeaverTails.” The company claims that it is “the first to hand-stretch fried pieces of dough to the shape of beavers’ tails.” Created by Pam and Grant Hooker in Ottawa in 1978, the company is now owned by twin brothers Anthony and Pino DiIoias and Pino’s wife, Tina Serrao.
• The pastries, made with whole wheat dough and a variety of sweet toppings, had a big television moment when President Obama stopped by the Byward Market in Ottawa in 2009. They also have been served at special events, such as the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland in January, 2012.
art broke it off. She just couldn't get past the image of him as Hannibal Lecter. • You might think of glaciers as lifeless places, but that's not true. In addition to the polar creatures that live on and around these sheets of ice, there is one that actually lives in the ice. Though they're only found in glaciers in certain areas of North America, the ice worm actually spends its entire life within the ice. In fact, the worms are so well-adjusted to the cold that when they are exposed to temperatures even slightly above 40 degrees Fahrenheit, they will liquefy. • The banana and the telephone were introduced to North America at the same time, at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exposition. * * * Thought for the Day: "Progress always involves risk. You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first." -- Frederick Wilcox
• It was historian Barbara Tuchman who made the following sage observation: "War is the unfolding of miscalculations." • You might be surprised to learn that a polar bear's skin is black and its fur is colorless. The transparent strands are so dense, though, that the fur takes on the color of the light around it. • Unless you're a literary scholar, you've probably never heard of the novel "Cup of Gold." It was American author John Steinbeck's first novel, and it was a flop. He was issued a $250 advance to write the book, and the sales didn't even make that much money for the publishing house. Of course, early failure was no indication of talent; Steinbeck continued writing and was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1962. • Domestic diva Martha Stewart once dated actor Sir Anthony Hopkins. After seeing "The Silence of the Lambs," though, Stew-
Professional Home Inspection Service
Find at least 6 differences in details between panels
DIFFERENCES: 1. Light is missing. 2. Pig's ears are smaller. 3. Shirt is different. 4. Collar is different. 5. Poster is missing. 6. Glass is missing. © 2014 King Features Synd., All rights reserved.
• Air • Cruises • Tours • Funjet • MLT Vacations • Amtrak • Vacation Packages www.stentrav.com
775-5099 • Toll Free 1-800-358-2891
GREAT DOUGH! (continued): • Just as BeaverTails are fried dough (or floatDEERE.soJOHN DEERE. (continued): cooked), are “beignets.” The official state • doughnut It was while living in Illinois John noof Louisiana, beignetthat is French for ticed dough.” the problems farmers facedCafé when “fried Mostthat popular at the du attempting till soil.French BecauseMarket the areacoffee had Mond, “the tooriginal formerly woodland, soil was rich stand sincebeen 1862,” in New the Orleans, beignets withactually hummus, which to clumped and by clung to were brought Louisiana Acadithe blades of the plows farmers were accusans from the Maritime Provinces of Canada: tomed to using. While repairing a broken cirNova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New cular saw, Deere stumbled upon an idea. He Brunswick. employed his smith skills to fashion the steel • Areas large Polish serve blade with into the shape of acommunities plow. He affixed their version of then friedhitched doughnuts, pactwo own wooden spokes, the device zki, a sweet to ausually horse. with It plowed thefilling. heavy Mardi IllinoisGras, soil which MarchIn4fact, thisayear, is who Paczki Day in like aischarm. farmer happened Poland and areas the withtest Polish immigrants. put to be observing run immediately in an order for his own John Deere plow.of the • Napoleon Bonaparte was the originator • name In short Deere gave up hisHis blacksmith for order, pumpernickel bread. demand shop andof focused making plows. The for a loaf dark rye on bread was for his horse! company grew steadily and added many emHe ordered “Pain pour Nicole,” which meant ployees. the late 1840s, John relocated “Bread forIn Nicole,” the horse. This wasthein entire operation Moline,were Illinois. Ashamed Prussia where theto bakers German and of his own lack of education, John sent his they heard it as “pumpernickel.” children to the state’s finest schools. One of • Another breaddays withoccurred an odd name theCharles “hushhis proudest when is son puppy.” Served in the of southern earned the equivalent an MBAU.S., fromusually Bell’s with fried fish or other seafood, hushpuppies Commercial College in Chicago.
are small round or finger-shaped bites of fried • With his son Charles managing the company, cornmeal batter. Several legends about the John found time to pursue philanthropic inname exist, either aboutboth Civil terests. He co-founded the War First soldiers, Nationfishermen, or cooks who tossed the tasty treats al Bank and the First Congregational Church. toHe dogs to stop begging or barking followed was elected the mayor of Moline in 1873, by, “Hush, Theactions oldest–story of their where onepuppy!” of his first the replacecreation actually is attributed to a group ment of the city’s open drains with a sewerof nuns France whocountless settled in New pipefrom system – saved lives byOrleans reducaround treats were known as “croing the1727; spreadthe of disease. de maise,” corncake. • quettes The original JohnorDeere logo, registered in
• The term “breaking bread” is not onlytoaAfriterm 1876, depicted a deer that was native ca. Thirty-six years later, in 1912, it was reused for mealtime, but for religious fellowplaced of aterm NorthforAmerican ship. It iswith alsothea image universal “peace.” white-tailed deer.and Inenjoy the decades that folNow, go in peace some dough! Please tell our Advertisers You Saw Their Ad in Tidbits!
lowed, the now-familiar “outline” logo took Thanks for Reading over as the symbol of the John Tidbits! Deere brand.
Information in the Tidbits® Paper is gathered from sources considered to be reliable, but the accuracy of all information cannot be guaranteed.
Can’t Get Enough
Send $24.95 (plus $5 S&H) by Check or Money Order to: Tidbits Media, Inc. 1430 I-85 Parkway, Suite 301 Montgomery AL 36106
(Alabama residents LIMITED EDITION BOOK SET please add $1 sales tax.) Reprints of Books I, II & III WHILE THEY LAST!
1Q2009 :: Wk 13 :: Mar 22 - Mar 28 :: Pg. 6
The Tidbits® Paper is a division of Tidbits Media, Inc. · Montgomery, AL 36106 13 Tidbits Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved · Copyright © 2009
24HR EMERGENCY SERVICE
• Residential • Commercial • Industrial
• Mobile Home Parks
(701) 746-8947 1-800-438-7686 • www.rotorootergf.com
1. A congregation 2. British Thermal Unit 3. “A Tale of Two Cities” by Charles Dickens 4. The Goodwill Games
5. “867-5309/ Jenny” by Tommy Tutone in 1982 6. Ronald Reagan’s 7. Apple
O’Reilly Auto Parts invites you to join our growing & successful team. We offer part-time opportunities, competitive wages, benefits, interesting and challenging work, ongoing training and opportunities for advancement. Be rewarded for your efforts! OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE AT A STORE NEAR YOU! • Parts Specialist • Delivery Driver • Merchandising Specialist If you have an excellent work ethic, a strong drive to succeed and great customer service skills, we would like to talk to you about your exciting future with our company. Our company is full of success stories.
When you join Team O’Reilly, you don’t just receive a job-you get life enriching opportunities. Please apply online at www.OReillyAuto.com
Sports Answers 1. Matt Holliday, 5. Marvin Harrison did it for 38 in 2007 the Colts (1999, 2. Carl Lewis 2001-02). 3. Miller Barber, 6. Danny Man3 times ning, 35 in 4. Tom Landry 1985 with 36
Please Recycle this copy of Tidbits. Share it with a Friend.
Toll Free (855) 474-7958 www.autopartsnd.com
Fast Installation on In-Stock Lorado Tonneau Covers
Inventory Reduction SALE! Call for Pricing!
Floor Liners WHEELS • 100% CYAN
• Most advanced floor protection available today • Perfect fit • Rigid core for strength • Surface friction to the carpet • Lower reservoir that channels fluids and debris away from shoes and clothing
• Other Styles Available • For all Makes & Models
• 100% MAJENTA • 100% YELLOW • 100% NOIR
*Most Makes & Models
PROFESSIONAL INSTALL TEAM
• Includes 2-Way remote & 1-Way remote • 2,500 ft. Range • 2-Way Feedback
• 2-Year Warranty on Remote • Limited Lifetime Warranty on All Other Parts • 5-Year Warranty on Labor only at Rydells GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE
$49900 INSTALLED* Reg. $549.00
• Includes 2-Way remote & 1-Way remote • 1-Mile Range • 2-Way Feedback
$38900 INSTALLED* Reg. $439.00
• Includes two 1-Way remotes • 2,000 ft. Range • 1-Way Feedback
2700 South Washington, Grand Forks | Toll TollFree Free ((855) 855)277-8959 474-7958
*Most Makes & Models