S PUZZLE • A I • TRIV N FACTS • FU
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
Big savings Issue # 1,150 Published by: Wick Publications 701-740-0968 firstname.lastname@example.org for TIDBITS ENJOYS Bigsafe savings FURNACE drivers. See why for safe RAIN See whytrust TUNE-UP millions by Janet Spencer drivers. millions trust us for Home
January 2, 2020
Sharon Opdahl, Agent 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite F Grand Forks, ND 58201 Bus: 701-746-0495 email@example.com Sharon Opdahl, Agent Sharon Opdahl Sharon Opdahl, Agent Sharon Opdahl, Agent 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite F 253417th 17th Avenue South, Suite FF 2534 Avenue South, Suite Agent Grand Forks, NDND 58201 Sharon Opdahl, Agent Grand Forks, 58201 Grand Forks, ND 58201 Bus: 701-746-0495 2534 17th Avenue South, Bus: 701-746-0495 Bus: 701-746-0495 Suite F firstname.lastname@example.org Grand Forks, ND 58201 email@example.com 2534 17th Ave. S. • Suite firstname.lastname@example.org
for Home &usAuto. Auto.up to 50%. Get& a discount
I can help lower your premium through Drive Safe & Save™. I’m here toState help life go lifeup go right ,, Get discount 50%. to help ® . to GetI’m tohere aabetter ™ you time and money byright saving money ,toby saving you here help life right , can help lower yourgopremium GetII’m State Farm. your home when you combine home ™ by saving you time and money time and money when through Drive Safe & Save . ME TODAY. and auto insurance. FCALL ® home when combine your . home Get toyou a better State you combine your Bus: 701-746-0495 ME TODAY. and State auto insurance. email@example.com Grand Forks, ND 58201 CALL Get Farm. and auto insurance. CALL ME TODAY. 701-746-0495 CALL ME TODAY.
Come along with Tidbits as we stand in the rain!
RANDOM RAIN FACTS
• Raindrops vary in size but never get larger than about 1/3 of an inch in diameter. • The speed of a falling raindrop ranges from 18 CALL ME TODAY. to 22 miles per hour. It generally takes about sharonopdahl.com two minutes for a raindrop to hit the ground after leaving a typical cloud, considering the average cloud height of about 2,500 feet. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company 1301900 State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL • Raindrops are not actually shaped like tear drops. Because air flow on the bottom of the State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company 1301900 State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL raindrop is greater than the airflow on top, there’s less air pressure on top of the drop than on the bottom. Surface tension on the top Carpet Cleaning allows the drop to remain rounded while the www.elitecarpetsgf.com bottom of the drop is flattened. This results in a shape that’s more like the top of a hamCarpet Cleaning • Carpet SPECIAL! Cleaning burger bun or a chocolate chip. $209 • Upholstery • Rain contains dissolved nitrogen that is ab4 Bedrooms, 1 Living Cleaning sorbed from the surrounding air. When this Room, 1 Hallway • Water & 1 Stairway natural fertilizer reaches the ground, it actuNot valid with any other offer. Extraction Expires 1-31-20 ally makes grass greener and more lush. Residential & Commercial • It’s estimated that one droplet of rain stays in Earth’s atmosphere for about 10 days. • Antarctica is the driest continent, averaging 701-775-8500 just 6.5 inches of precip annually. • Ten inches of snow is equal to one inch of rain Turn the page for more! in water content. 1601529 1601529
StateFarm Farm Mutual Mutual Automobile Automobile Insurance Insurance Company Company State State Farm Farm Indemnity Indemnity Company Company State State Farm Fire and Casualty Casualty Company StateState FarmFarm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Fire and Company StateState FarmFarm General Insurance Company Indemnity Company State Farm General Insurance Company Bloomington, IL Company State FarmBloomington, Fire and Casualty IL State Farm General Insurance Company Bloomington, IL
Cannot be combined with other coupons or offers. Does not apply to prior sales. *Travel charges may apply out of town. Expires January 31, 2020
701-775-5522 Grand Forks, ND
WANT TO PUBLISH A TIDBITS IN YOUR AREA? ®
We provide the opportunity for success!
Call 1.800.523.3096 www.tidbitsweekly.com
National Blood Donor Month! Donate blood in the month of January and receive a free t-shirt
All with donors a free calendar along freereceive cholesterol screening!
and a Total Cholesterol screening. Check For youran eligibility date and appointment call: call for an appointment: 780-LIFE (5433) or e-mail: 780-LIFE (5433) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com www.dakminnbloodbank.org www.dakminnbloodbank.org
ORGANIC SALON SPA
Hair Loss Hospital • REPAIR • REFRESH • RECLAIM Call to learn about Hair Loss Therapy!
701-739-2403 2600 DeMers Ave. Grand Forks, ND
GET $50 CASH FILE YOUR TAXES
WITH PAID TAX PREPAR & APPLY FOR AN * EASY ADVANCE 720 S Washington St (Next to Italian Moon) UP $ Grand$ Forks, ND 58201 TO
1-866-871-1040 • www.libertytax.com
720 S. Washington St.
(Next to Italian Moon)
Dakota Pediatric Dentistry Providing Comprehensive Dental Care for Infants, Children & Adolescents.
**With paid tax preparation. Valid at participating locations. Cannot be combined with other offers or used toward past services. One coupon per customer and per return. Other exclusions may apply. Void where prohibited by law. Valid 12/26-2/16/2020.
Grand Forks, ND 58201 701-746-1750
*An Easy Advance is a loan secured by and paid back with your tax refund and is offered by Republic Bank & Trust Company, member FDIC, to eligible taxpayers. Loan amount options are based on your expected Federal refund less authorized fees. If approved for an Easy Advance, a Finance Charge will apply. Loan is subject to underwriting and approval. Easy Advance proceeds are typically available within 24 hours of IRS acceptance of tax return or within 24 hours for those filing before the IRS start date; however, if direct deposit is selected it may take additional time for your financial institution to post the funds to your account. Visit your Liberty Tax office to learn about the cost, timing and availability of all filing and product options. Valid at participating locations. Valid Jan. 2-Feb. 28, 2020.
Chad Hoge, DDS, MS
Mikala Hoge, Tyler Johnson, DDS
An Easy Advance* is a loan secured by your tax refund and is offered by Republic Bank & Trust Company, member FDIC, to eligible taxpayers. Loan amount options are based on your expected Federal refund less authorized fees. If approved for an Easy Advance, a Finance Charge will apply. Loan is subject to underwriting and approval.Visit your Liberty Tax office to learn about cost, timing and availability of all filing and product options. Valid at participating locations. Valid Jan. 2- Feb. 28, 2020.
FULL FAMILY CARE Infants to Adults
TREATING: • Neck Pain • Low Back Pain • Headaches • Sciatica • Sports Injuries • DOT Physical-Certified
2840 19th Ave. S. • Grand Forks
Dr. John Fulp, D.C.
Dr. Marshal Pederson, D.C.
BETTER HEARING. BETTER LIVING.
746.7000 GRAND FORKS
5. Is there more water in the atomosphere as vapor, or in all the world’s rivers? 6. Mount Waialeale gets an average of 460 inches of rain per year, making it the wettest spot in the U.S. What state is it in? 7. Is there more water in underground aquifers or in all the world’s lakes and rivers combined? TRIVIA SPONSORED BY:
1. What city is the driest in the U.S., getting only 3 inches of rain annually? 2. What city is the rainiest urban area in the country, averaging 65 inches or rain per year? 3. Which U.S. state has the most thunderstorm days annually? 4. Does more rain fall on land, or on the oceans?
RAIN TRIVIA (continued):
• When rain falls on dry surfaces, it traps air bubbles under the weight of the water, which then rise upwards and burst out of the droplet. The air bubbles carry various trace chemicals, which are released when the bubble bursts, such as oils secreted by nearby plants, bacteria that live in the soil, pollen, and mold spores. When these items are released into the air, it results in a characteristic odor. This pleasant, earthy scent has an official name: petrichor. Two Australian geologists coined the term in a 1964 research paper, from the Latin words “petra” meaning “stone” and “ichor” meaning “ethereal fluid.” • Scientists have found fossils containing indentations of raindrops dating back as far as 2.7 billion years ago when rain fell on layers of ash from volcanic eruptions, and then more ash fell on top, preserving the dents from the raindrops. • Forecasting the weather got a boost in the U.S. after there were 1,914 shipwrecks on the Great Lakes in the year 1869. People in the region petitioned Congress to set up some sort of early warning system to track the formation and progress of the storms that were routinely sinking ships. In 1870, President Ulysses S. Grant signed a resolution stating that all military stations in the country should track the weather and develop a warning system for storms. Once the War Department was involved, weather forecasting grew in importance because it was a matter of safety for soldiers and sailors. Information about the weather passed from station to station via telegraph and a set of signal flags was developed. • The saying is that “it’s raining cats and dogs” may spring from the Old English word for waterfall, “catadupe.” ...continued
SoundDecisionND.com | 701-738-0713 | 1923 DeMers Ave, Grand Forks
Everyone is Welcome!
312 DeMers Ave. • East Grand Forks, MN • 218-773-2481
11:00 am - 1:00 pm (M-F)
Walleye Fish Fry FRIDAYS 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Reserve our PARTY ROOMS for your next event!
FRIDAY 7:30 pm SATURDAY 2:30 pm SUNDAY 4:00 pm
Eli Manning Sir Isaac Newton Bradly Cooper Nicolas Cage Lamar Jackson Elvis Presley Jimmy Page
1/03/1981 1/04/1643 1/05/1975 1/07/1964 1/07/1997 1/08/1935 1/09/1944
work somewhere you ♥
Truck Unloading & Stocking (Must be available to work at 4:00 am)
Starting Wage $13.00 / hour Perks Include:
• Flexible Schedule • 10% Discount • 20% Wellness Discount • Fast, Fun and Friendly work environment
Apply on-line at Target.com/careers Target is an equal employment opportunity employer and is a drug-free workplace. Target Stores. The Bullseye Design is a registered trademark of Target Brands, Inc. All rights reserved.
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
The Neatest Little Paper Ever Read® Contact me to schedule your ad in Tidbits!
PLEASE TELL OUR ADVERTISERS YOU SAW THEIR AD IN TIDBITS! 4. In 2018, the Golden State Warriors set an NBA record for most consecutive 1. The New Jersey Devils home postseason victories have had the No. 1 overall (16). Which team had held pick in the NHL Entry the mark? Draft twice. Name either 5. Dale Murphy is one of player selected. four outfielders in major2. Who holds the Texas league history to win Ranger’s record for most back-to-back regular seahits in a season? son MVP awards. Name 3. Simone Biles set a record two of the other three. in 2019 for most career medals by any gymnast at 6. How many times have the Vikings make the playoffs the world championships. How many medals is it? since the 2010 season?
Happy Holidays We wish you a happy and safe holiday season. From our Family to yours, Happy Holidays!
WINTER DEALS Fat Fish 949i Portable Ice House
Home Owned & Operated Since 1939!
Pistol Bit 8” Ice Auger
Sale Prices Good Jan 3-23, 2020
$ 8” Ice Auger
Hwy. 81 North • Grand Forks, ND • Hours: Mon-Sat. 8-8 • Sun. 10-6
RAIN TRIVIA (continued):
• In the 1800s, a meteorologist in Britain named Luke Howard came up with the first official classification of different cloud types. He named cirrus clouds after the Latin word meaning “fiber,” stratus for the Latin word for “layer,” and cumulous for the Latin word for “heap.” Nearly a century later, a coalition of meteorologists met in Paris to refine Howard’s classifications, breaking clouds into nine different categories. The iconic towering puffy cloud was renamed the “cumulonimbus” which is Latin for “heaped cloud” and it was on top of the list of the nine different cloud types specified in the new list. This list of cloud types generated a new saying: “being on cloud nine.” Later the list was revised, and the cumulonimbus is now actually #10 on the list. • Seattle, Washington, and Portland, Oregon, have reputations as soggy cities, but both cities are drier than any major city on the Eastern Seaboard. However, both Seattle and Portland are cloudy an average of about 230 days per year when perhaps just a trace of drizzle falls, compared to only 160 cloudy days in Boston and 120 in Miami. • On the west side of the Olympic Mountains in Washington state, the area gets up to 170 inches of rainfall a year. On the east side of the same mountains just 30 miles away, the town of Sequim, Washington gets only 15 inches a year, which qualifies the area as a semi-arid desert.
Magnetic Interior Storm Windows
s on op ati St ens nd Co
• Virtually Eliminates • Custom Made to fit almost Condensation and Frost any window or patio door • Lower Heat bills up to 50% SPECIAL PRICING! • Fraction the Cost of Replacement Windows • Install & Remove in Seconds Must Show Coupon • Exp. 1-15-20 • Keeps drafts, dust & noise out See our Showroom at: 4224 Gateway Dr. • Grand Forks • Save Money and Energy
701-746-8684 • sunroomsplusgf.com
UP TO $350 OFF!
on select FIREPLACES Must Show Coupon • Exp. 1-15-20
• Fireplaces & Stoves • Gas, Wood, Electric, and Pellet • Inserts • Mantels • Brick & Stone • Glass Doors
30+ Different Burning Displays
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
NEW YEAR'S SALE
• The overcast city of Manchester, England, gets an average of 30 minutes of sunlight each day during the winter season. Although it gets a whole lot of consistent drizzle, it does not rank in the top ten of England’s rainiest cites. The town of Seathwaite, just northwest of Manchester, is drenched with 140 inches of rain each year, making it England’s wettest town.
*Answer located further back in this issue.
REMOTE AUTO STARTS Deluxe Start, 2-Way Track, & Remote Control Start Your Car • Up to From 1,500 ft. Anywhere, range
Right from your Phone.
We carry Meyer plows for Residental and Commercial use, and a wide variety of Salt Spreaders.
All-Weather Floor Mats
Customized to fit your specific vehicle. Deeply sculpted channels designed to trap water, road salt, mud and sand. These mats are engineered to prevent curling & cracking in sub-zero weather.
Low-Profile Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
6105 Gateway Drive • Grand Forks, ND 701-746-0083 • 800-279-7492 • Hours: M-F 9-6 and Sat. 9-3
GIFT CARDS MAKE A GREAT GIFT
0% FINANCING Up to 18 Months
See Store for Details
www.newvisiontruckaccessories.com H Professional Installation on All Products we sell
EAST GRAND FORKS
AMERICAN LEGION • POST 157 •
Book Our BALLROOM:
• Weddings • Graduation • Parties • Meetings • & More
PULL Thursdays: 7:00 pm TA B S Sundays: 1:30 pm 1009 CENTRAL AVE. • EAST GRAND FORKS • 218-773-1129
RAIN TRIVIA (continued):
• The first TV weatherman was Jimmie Fidler of Cincinnati’s WNBT in the 1940s. David Letterman started out as a news anchor and weatherman in Indianapolis. Raquel Welch got her start as a weathergirl in San Diego, and Diane Sawyer worked as the weathergirl in her hometown station in Kentucky. • The Weather Channel launched in 1982 and took five years to break even. The channel got a big boost in popularity when cable TV took off, reaching 50 million subscribers during Hurricane Andrew in 1992. NBC purchased it in 2008 for a cool $3.5 billion. • Two towns called Cherrapunji and Mawsynram in the state of Meghalaya in India are the rainiest places on Earth. They average about 470 inches of rain per year. The world record for the greatest amount of rainfall in one year is 1,042 inches in Cherrapunji in 1860-1861. Most of the rain occurs during monsoon season, between June and September. The word “monsoon” comes from the Arabic “mausim” meaning “season.” Meghalaya means “land of the clouds.” • Most rain in one minute: 1.23” July 4, 1956 in Unionville, Maryland.
*Answer located further back.
d Cities Gam n ra G
BUY 2 BOARD GAMES GET 1 FREE
120 N. Wash. St. Grand Forks
Free Board Game must be equal or lesser value of 2 purchased. Exp. 1-31-20
• Comics • Trading Cards • Warhammer • Board Games • RPGs • Dice • Gaming Rooms
Short-Term Care & Rehabilitation • Recuperate • Get Strong • Get Back to Everyday Life We offer specialized services in:
Physical, Occuaptional and Speech Therapy, along with Skilled Nursing Services To learn more about rehabilitation and other services we offer please contact us.
(218) 281-3424 • 516 Walsh Street. • Crookston, MN
• Most rain in one hour: 12” June 22, 1947 in Holt, Missouri. • Most rain in 24 hours: 71.9” Jan. 8, 1966 in Cilaos, Réunion, during Tropical Cyclone Denise. • Most rain in 48 hours: 98.1” June 15-16, 1995 in Cherrapunji, India. • Most consecutive days with at least one-tenth of an inch of rainfall: 331 days, Oahu, Hawaii • The longest time that a place remained without any measurable rainfall was 14 years, in Arica, Chile, from October of 1903 to January, 1918.
Tidbits is Available at:
All Grand Forks, East Grand Forks & Crookston locations of: Located on th publicati racks nea on r th Exit doors e !
SUPPORT GROUPS T H U R S D A YS A T 6 : 3 0 P M B E G I N N I N G S E P T E M B E R 1 2
DIVORCE CARE GRIEF SHARE C E L E B R A T E R E C O V E RY CONQUER SERIES (MEN’S GROP ON SEXUAL PURITY) HOPE FOR THE JOURNEY (CANCER PATIENTS, SURVIVORS & CAREGIVERS)
MENDING THE SOUL (WOMEN’S GROUP ON ABUSE) CHILDREN COPING WITH LOSS FINDING HOPE (DEPRESSION/ANXIETY) BETRAYAL AND BEYOND (WOMEN’S GROUP FOR THOSE BETRAYED BY THEIR HUSBAND OR SPOUSE)
SILENT CRY(WOMEN’S GROUP FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SUFFERED A MISCARRIAGE OR LOSS OF A CHILD )
JAM KIDS (CHILDCARE FOR THOSE ATTENDING A SUPPORT GROUP)
FOR MORE INFORMATION: WWW.GFHOPE.ORG/SUPPORTGROUPS
*Answer located further back in this issue.
© 2019 King Features Syndicate. All rights reserved.
by Samantha Weaver
Earn Your 5% APY*
• It was Nobel Prize-winning French poet, journalist and novelist Anatole France who gave the following sage advice: "Never lend books -- nobody ever returns them; the only books I have in my library are those which people have lent me." • One-quarter of the city of Los Angeles is taken up by automobiles. • Ancient Egyptian priests were bald. And not just on their heads -- they would pluck every hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes. • In many parts of Spain, Dec. 28 is traditionally observed as the Feast of the Holy Innocents. To celebrate, the young boys of a town gather together and light bonfires. One of them is designated as the mayor for the evening, and he goes about ordering citizens to do tasks such as sweeping the streets. Anyone who refuses is fined. • The deluge of mail around the holidays has been an issue longer than you probably realize. In 1822, the postmaster of Washington, D.C., was disgruntled by the surge and complained about having to hire 16 extra mail carriers. He wanted a law to be passed limiting the number of cards a person could send. • Have trouble remembering all the words to our national anthem? Be glad you're not Greek -their national anthem has 158 verses. • If all the blood vessels in one human body were stretched out end to end, they would stretch all the way around the world. • The rivalry between those Ivy League giants, Harvard and Yale, is legendary. Not many people know, however, that Yale was founded by graduates of Harvard.
Put your money to work for you. With a Service Credit Union Primary Savings Account you’ll earn 5% on your first $500 in deposits.*
Open a Primary Savings Account at our Grand Forks Branch or online at servicecu.org.
*** Thought for the Day: "He who wants to grow rich in a year will be dead in a month." -- Spanish proverb
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
servicecu.org • 800.936.7730 Insured by NCUA | *APY (Annual Percentage Yield) is accurate as of the last dividend declaration date of 11/01/2019 and subject to change without notice. Dividends paid on average daily balances of $500; variable APY of 5.00%. If average daily balance exceeds $500, the remaining balance will receive variable APY of 0.50%. A minimum deposit of $5 is required to open a Primary Savings account.
KING C R O S S W O R D
FROM PAYROLL AND BOOKKEEPING TO FROM PAYROLL AND BOOKKEEPING TO EXPERT TAX PREPARATION AND ADVICE, EXPERT TAXIS PREPARATION ANDFOR ADVICE, H&R BLOCK READY TO WORK YOU. FROM PAYROLL AND BOOKKEEPING TO H&R BLOCK IS READY TO WORK FOR YOU. EXPERT TAX PREPARATION AND ADVICE, FROM PAYROLL AND BOOKKEEPING TO FROM PAYROLL AND BOOKKEEPING TO H&R BLOCK IS READY TO WORK FOR YOU. EXPERT TAX PREPARATION AND ADVICE, Put our expertise to work for you. Come visit or call us today. EXPERT TAX PREPARATION AND ADVICE, Put our expertise to work for you. Come visit or call us today. H&R BLOCK IS READY TO WORK FOR YOU. H&R BLOCK IS READY TO WORK FOR YOU. Put our expertise to work for you. Come visit or call us today.
Put our expertise to work for you. Come visit or call us today. Put our expertise to work for you. Come visit or call us today.
2600 Demers Ave 2600 Demers Grand Forks, ND Ave 58201 Grand Forks, ND 58201 701-746-7361 2600 Demers Ave 701-746-7361 Grand Forks, ND 58201 2600 Demers Ave 2600 Demers 701-746-7361 Grand Forks, ND Ave 58201 Grand Forks, ND 58201 701-746-7361 701-746-7361
2715 S WASHINGTON ST 2715 S WASHINGTON ST GRAND FORKS, ND 58201 GRAND FORKS, ND 58201 701-746-0425 2715 701-746-0425 S WASHINGTON ST GRAND FORKS, ND 58201 2715 SOBTP#B13696 WASHINGTON ST ©2017 HRB Tax Group, Inc. 2715 S WASHINGTON ST 701-746-0425 GRAND FORKS, ND 58201 OBTP#B13696 ©2017 HRB Tax Group, Inc. GRAND FORKS, ND 58201 701-746-0425 701-746-0425 OBTP#B13696 ©2017 HRB Tax Group, Inc. OBTP#B13696 ©2017 HRB Tax Group, Inc. OBTP#B13696 ©2017 HRB Tax Group, Inc.
Contact your local agent
• Medicare Contact your local agent for for more information: Coverage more information: t for more information: • Group <Agent Name> A Medical INSURANCE AGENCY <Agency Name> Life Ins. • <Address> Rick Asche • 701-772-1138 H2409, H2410, H2450_2058 (01-2009) <City, ST ZIP> <Phone> 1521 24th Ave. S. • Grand Forks, ND <Hours of Operation> > “Since 1988”
Life • Medicare • Group Plans • Health • Long Term Care
©2009 Medica. Medica contracts with the federal government. ®
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
S U D O K U
by Linda Thistle
009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
Place a number in the empty boxes in such a way that each row across, each column down and each small 9-box square contains all of the numbers from one to nine.
40+ Years Combined Experience
E ve r y d a y g L ow P ri c i n o n Re m o t e Starts!
g in * Best Pricin nteed! Town Guara *See Store for Details! *Most Models
DIFFICULTY THIS WEEK: H Moderate
Challenging HOO BOY!
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
3459 31st St. S. • Grand Forks (Across the street East of Hobby Lobby)
• The closing musical number of the film is a tapdancing extravaganza featuring Gene Kelly, Donald O’Conner, and Debbie Reynolds. It took 40 takes to get the scene right, filmed over a 14hour time span. By the time they wrapped up, Debbie had to be carried off the set because her feet were bleeding.
"SINGING IN THE RAIN"
• One of the most iconic golden oldie films is the 1952 movie “Singing In the Rain.”
• The script was cobbled together in order to showcase a selection of songs that had been written by producer Arthur Freed. Some of the songs from the film had been used in other previous movies. “Good Morning” was performed • Debbie Reynolds later said, “The two hardest by Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney in the 1937 film things I ever did in my life are childbirth and “Babes in Arms.” Garland also performed the film’s title “Singing in the Rain.” track, “Singing in the Rain,” in the 1940 film “Little Nellie • Donald O’Connor performed the memorable Kelly.” The title song also appeared in three other films in comedy dance routine “Make ‘Em Laugh” in various years. The only two songs that were written specifiwhich he runs up the walls and turns a back cally for the movie were “Make ‘Em Laugh” and “Moses flip on the way down. O’Connor completed the Supposes.” scene and made it look easy in spite of being a • The screenwriters said they were told by 4-pack-a-day smoker. Freed that they were going to be writ• Gene Kelly was sick with a fever during much ing a movie called “Singing in the Rain” of the the seven days it took to film the iconic and given the instructions to put all his title number, in which he dances with an umsongs in it. “All we knew was there brella on a rainy street at night. He danced in would be some scene where someone the rain for six hours a day. The tap dancing would be singing, and it would be rainsounds were edited in later, because it’s hard to ing.” get good tap dancing sounds when dancing in • Gene Kelly not only starred in the film, but also directed wet loafers. As a result, the taps do not exactly and choreographed it. Debbie Reynolds was only 19 years match up with the dance steps. To make the rain old when she was cast in the film, in spite of having no exvisible, the rain was backlit in front of the plate perience as a dancer. Her training in gymnastics served her glass windows of the shopfronts and the crew well. had to make sure the equipment wasn’t reflected • The plot of the film hinges on the idea that, as “talkies” in the glass. replace silent films, Debbie Reynold’s character steps in • Although today it’s considered one of the best to provide the singing and speaking voice of shrill movie musicals of all time, the film earned no Oscar star Lina Lamont, played by Jean Hagan. The role of Lina nomination for Best Picture, but it did earn a Lamont was written with actress Judy Holliday in mind. Best Supporting Actress nod for Jean Hagen, But when Holliday won an Oscar for Best Actress in 1951, and Best Original Score for instrumental comshe suddenly became too big of a star for MGM to afford. poser Lennie Hayton. The part went to Holliday’s understudy, Jean Hagen, who did a drop-dead impression of Holliday during her audition.
701.746.1378 curtdjohnson.com Let us convert your assets into CA$H! FREE CONSULTATION! Sell Any and All of your Items!
WE CAN SELL:
• Static Ag & Iron Equipment • Auto/Pickup Trucks • Commercial Trucks/Trailers • RVs/Power Sports Vehicles • Surplus Business Equipment • Estates • Consignments of Any & All Assets
WHY PAY RETAIL? NEW INVENTORY ARRIVING WEEKLY!
Antiques & Collectibles, Vintage & Retro, & More!
Membership Clubs Overtstocks
BRAND NEW PRODUCTS!
Up to 50% OFF Wholesale Prices OPEN EVERY WEEK: FRIDAY & SATURDAY 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM and SUNDAY 12 NOON - 6:00 PM VENDOR SPACES AVAILABLE • Call for details
2105 Central Ave. NW • East Grand Forks, MN
Solution located on next page.
PLEASE TELL OUR ADVERTISERS THAT YOU SAW THEIR AD IN TIDBITS!
King Features Weekly Service (Answers located further back)
December 23, 2019
• “Cabbage leaves go limp in freezer, making them easier to roll. This is especially helpful if you are making a big batch of cabbage rolls!” — V.W. in California • Clean and decorate a Pringles chip can to store a collection of colored pencils. Keep the lid on for portability. You can even roll up some plain paper to store inside for an on-the-go drawing kit. • Need to heat up two plates of leftovers? Form the food into a ring (which is better for even heating anyway), then set a microwave-safe glass or mug on the center of the plate. Set the second plate of leftovers on top. • If you can’t paint your dorm or rental apartment walls, here’s some ways to dress up your decor: Try removable stickers from home decor stores or online. Also you can hang a tapestry. It doesn’t have to be elaborate, and if the material is light enough, you can use removable hooks, like Command strips. Or, try creating a pattern with washi tape, which also is removable. • “If you thread a Slinky-type toy onto the pole of your bird feeder, the squirrels can’t get to it. You can usually find these at the dollar store in a plastic version, too.” — C.D. in Ohio • Common substitutions: Recipe call for buttermilk? Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice per cup of milk. Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
©2019 King Features Syndicate, Inc. All rights reserved.
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
• On Jan. 8, 1835, President Andrew Jackson achieves his goal of entirely paying off the United States' national debt. It was the only time in U.S. history that the national debt stood at zero, and it precipitated one of the worst financial crises in American history, the Panic of 1837. • On Jan. 9, 1861, a Union merchant ship is fired upon as it tries to deliver supplies to Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, South Carolina, in the first exchange of shots between North and South. The shots were fired by gunner George E. Haynsworth, a cadet at The Citadel in Charleston. • On Jan. 7, 1927, the Harlem Globetrotters basketball team travels west from Chicago to play their first game, in Hinckley, Illinois. Coach Abe Saperstein decided to promote his new team's racial makeup by naming them after Harlem, the famous black neighborhood of New York City. • On Jan. 12, 1932, Ophelia Wyatt Caraway of Arkansas becomes the first woman elected to the U.S. Senate. Caraway had been appointed earlier to fill the vacancy left by her late husband, Thaddeus Horatio Caraway. • On Jan. 11, 1949, on Connecticut Avenue in Washington, D.C., the cornerstone is laid at the first mosque of note in the United States. The Islamic Center was complete with a 160-foot minaret from which prayers were to be announced. • On Jan. 6, 1975, "Wheel of Fortune," the longest-running syndicated game show in American television, premieres on NBC. In over 7,000 episodes, show hostess Vanna White has never worn the same gown twice. • On Jan. 10, 2008, Tata Motors in India debuts the Nano, billing it as the world's cheapest car. The bubble-shaped mini-vehicle had a base price of $2,000. It had a body made of plastic and sheet metal -- and one windshield wiper.
© 2019 Hearst Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved
THE AREA’S BEST ADVERTISING VALUE 1. It’s a FREE publication for the public. 2. Every issue of Tidbits is available for a full 3.
week; so your ad gets seen for 7 days! Tidbits is a smaller publication which gives your ad a great chance of being noticed. Plus, every page is designed to contain extra content such as trivia and puzzles to entertain readers on each page longer. People love Tidbits because it’s filled with content that is upbeat and fun....not with “gloom and doom” news of the day. Tidbits appeals to just about everyone!
8,000 Copies of Tidbits are published every Thursday and distributed to over 115 locations in Grand Forks, GFAFB, East Grand Forks & Crookston.
Here is pricing for a few of our more popular ad sizes: Full Color
Ad Size (inches)
2x2 2x3 Front 2x3 Inside 4x2 4x3 4x4 1/4 Page (4x5) 1/2 Page Full Page
1-12 weeks $40.00 $60.00 $50.00 $60.00 $80.00 $88.00 $95.00 $165.00 $265.00
13+ weeks $31.00 $51.00 $41.00 $51.00 $66.00 $75.00 $82.00 $137.00 $223.00
*All prices listed are per week.
An area favorite for over 20 YEARS!
For more information:
Call 701.740.0968 or go to www.TidbitsGF.com
Be Watching for the
Extra Copies Available at Valley Dairy Stores & Home of Economy
Grand Forks WANT HELP STARTING YOUR OWN SMALL BUSINESS? Free Consulting • Confidential • Business Plans
LOCATION: 4200 James Ray Drive•Grand Forks (Off corner of 42nd St. & University Ave.) Park in visitor parking in front of center. Enter through front door. Office #202
Call: 701-746-5851 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org PRESIDENTIAL QUOTES: “We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” ~ Ronald Reagan
Solution on Next Page
• Edward Bulwer-Lytton was an English writer and politician. He wrote prolifically, turning out novels, plays, poems, and operas. In his day, he was more widely read than Charles Dickens. He coined the phrases “the great unwashed,” “pursuit of the almighty dollar,” and “the pen is mightier than the sword.” • But he is perhaps best known for the opening line of his novel called “Paul Clifford” which was published in 1830: “It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents – except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.” • This memorably bad opening line might have been lost to memory had it not been for Scott Rice, who was attending college when he was assigned to write a paper on a minor Victorian novelist. He chose Bulwer-Lytton. The sheer audacity of that opening line never left him, and when he became a professor in the English Department at San Jose State University, he wanted to find out if modernday would-be authors could come up with opening lines equally bad. In 1982, the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest was born. • Entrants are tasked with composing the worst possible opening sentence to the worst possible novel. • The contest had only three entries in its first year, but media reports boosted that number to over 10,000 by the second year. Now there are so many entries that they are divided into categories, with one grand prize winner and innumerable runnersup. The winners receive a pittance in prize money along with all the prestige of knowing they have penned a deliberately bad sentence. ...continued
Here are some notable winners of the contest: • Space Fleet Commander Brad Brad sat in silence, surrounded by a slowly dissipating cloud of smoke, maintaining the same forlorn frown that had been fixed upon his face since he’d accidentally destroyed the phenomenon known as time, 13 inches ago. -M. Archer
DIFFERENCES:: DIFFERENCES 1. Blouse is black. 2. Breath "puffs" are gone. 3. Picture has been added. 4. Pillow is missing. 5. Temperature is lower. 6. Moustache is gone. © 2019 King Features Synd., All rights reserved.
Professional Home Inspection Service CERTIFIED INSPECTOR
• Anthropologist Roland Weatherby stumbled upon the detritus of the cannibal camp, including the smoldering remains of his faithful guide Davey, and raged in disbelief at the thought that, even in this digital information age, primitive tribes feasted on the red meat of human flesh paired with a subpar 2016 Chardonnay. -Doug Purdy • Realizing that his symptoms indicated a virtually undetectable, fast acting neurotoxin, CIA coroner Quinn Abner frantically wrote up the details, lay on the floor and, as a professional courtesy, did his best to draw a chalk outline of himself. -Jeremy Das • Cassie smiled as she clenched John's hand on the edge of an abandoned pier while the sun set gracefully over the water, and as the final rays of light disappeared into a star-filled sky she knew that there was only one thing left to do to finish off this wonderful evening, which was to throw his severed appendage into the ocean's depths so it could never be found again, and maybe get some custard after. –T. Menezes • He glanced at his unsuspecting guests, his slight smile hiding his hateful mood, his calm eyes hiding his evil intentions, and his smooth skin hiding his tensed muscles, skeletal structure, and internal organs. -Dave Agans
• Residential • Commercial • Industrial
• Mobile Home Parks
(701) 746-8947 1-800-438-7686 • www.rotorooter.com
4. 80% falls on the oceans 5. Atmosphere 6. Hawaii 7. Aquifers
1. Yuma, Arizona 2. Mobile, Alabama 3. Florida
CERTIFIED WELD INSPECTIONS • Audits • NDT • Third Party
FISH INSPECTION, LLC Call 218-289-3128
Sports Answers 1. Nico Hischier 4. Barry Bonds, Mickey (2017), Jack Mantle, and Hughes (2019) 2. Michael Young, Roger Maris 221 hits (2005) 5. Four times: 2012, 2015, 3. 25 medals 2017, 2019 4. Chicago Bulls, 15 in 1990-91
• It was a dark and stormy night and because of this nothing interesting will happen until the next page when the weather permits human interaction. -Rami Jackson Information in the Tidbits® Paper is gathered from sources considered to be reliable but the accuracy of all information cannot be guaranteed.
Send $17.95 (plus $5.00 S&H) by Check or Money Order
Tidbits Media, Inc.
BOOK SET Tidbits Books II & III
1430 I-85 Parkway, Ste. 210 Montgomery, AL 36106 (800) 523-3096
The Tidbits® Paper is a division of Tidbits Media, Inc. • Montgomery, AL 36106 (800) 523-3096 • All Rights Reserved
Please Recycle this copy of Tidbits. Share it with a Friend.
THANKS FOR READING TIDBITS!
• 1-Mile Range • 2-Way Feedback • Inverted LCD Screen • Includes 2-Way &
• 3000 ft. Range • 2-Way Feedback • Includes 2-Way &
• 1-Mile Range • Includes Two 1-Way remotes
*Most Makes & Models
PROFESSIONAL INSTALL TEAM
You’re Never Out of Range Whether you’re at the mall, the game, or the airport, you’ll always be able to start your car using the DroneMobile app.
30 Days FREE Basic Service
With purchase of Drone Mobile
Receive Detailed Alerts: When your car is broken into.
When your door is opened
Remote Start and Drone Mobile Package available at Special Pricing. Ask your Accessories Professional at Rydell’s.
When your engine is started.
Heated Seat Kits INSTALLATION
• Heats Up in Seconds • Even Heat Distribution • Safe & Durable
Floor Liners • Most advanced floor protection available today. • Perfect fit. • Rigid core for strength. • Surface friction to the carpet. • Lower reservoir that channels fluids and debris away from shoes and clothing.
INSTALLED* *Per seat
Reg. $285.00 *For a Limited Time
Low Can be Installed in Front & Back Seats
*Most Makes & Models
Large Inventory on Hand
*Most Makes & Models
WE INSTALL: • Auto Starts • Truck Bedliners • Running Boards / Nerf Bars • Bed Rails • Tonneau Covers • Chrome Accessories • Rims & Tires • WeatherTech • Window Tinting • Hitches • Grille Guards • DVD Headrests • & Much More!
2700 South Washington St. Grand Forks, ND
Accessories Deptartment: AJ Preston 701-757-5969
"Rain," "Singing in the Rain" and "Edward Bulwer-Lytton"