Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
Published by: Wick Publications 701-740-0968 Big savings TIDBITS SAYS for Bigsafe savings Home drivers. for safe YOU DON'T KNOW Home & Auto. by Kathy Wolfe drivers. & Auto.
December 19, 2019
Smart Smart & Easy. Get a discount up to 50%. & Easy.
I can help lower your premium ™ . through Safecombine &up Save When you Get aDrive discount to 50%. When you combine your ® . premium GetIhome toyour ahelp better State andhome auto insurance, and auto can lower your When you combine your Getthrough State Farm. good things happen like ™ insurance, good things Drive Safe &– Save . home and saving timeauto andinsurance, money. FCALL ME ® Just Grand Forks, ND 58201 . Get tothings aTODAY. better happen — State like good happen – saving like another way I’m here to help Bus: 701-746-0495 Grand Forks, ND 58201 Get saving time and money. Just State Farm. email@example.com time and money. Just life go right . another I’m here to help 701-746-0495 CALL ME TODAY. CALL MEway TODAY. another way I’m here life go right . sharonopdahl.com to help life go right™. CALL ME TODAY. ™
CALL ME TODAY.
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company State Farm Indemnity Company Farm Fire and Casualty Company State State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company StateState Farm General Insurance Company Farm Indemnity Company State FarmState Indemnity Company, Bloomington, Bloomington, IL Company IL Farm Fire and Casualty State Farm General Insurance Company
State Farm Mutual Bloomington, Automobile ILInsurance Company State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL
ORGANIC SALON SPA
Hair Loss Hospital • REPAIR • REFRESH • RECLAIM Call to learn about Hair Loss Therapy!
701-739-2403 2600 DeMers Ave. Grand Forks, ND
VACUUMS 20% Off
Plus, Get FREE Lifetime Annual Tune-Ups! COLUMBIA MALL Near Scheels 701-746-9300
N e at e s t
Little Paper Ever Read®
S PUZZLE • A I • TRIV N FACTS • FU
Sharon Opdahl, Agent 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite F Grand Forks, ND 58201 Bus: 701-746-0495 Sharon Opdahl, Agent Sharon Opdahl firstname.lastname@example.org Sharon Opdahl, 2534 17th Avenue South,Agent Suite F 2534 17th Avenue Agent Grand Forks, ND South, 58201Suite F Grand Forks, ND Agent 58201 Sharon Opdahl, Bus: 701-746-0495 Bus: Avenue 701-746-0495 2534 17th South, Suite F email@example.com 2534 17th Ave. S. • Suite firstname.lastname@example.org
FINANCING JACK 0% OR UP TO $250 OFF!
Some Jacks you know, some you don’t! Tidbits has the scoop on some of the famous and some of the not-so-famous.
O F G RAN D
Issue # 1,149
F O RK S
Through Dec. 31, 2019 Stop by our showroom & view our burning displays. FREE ESTIMATES
G RAN D
F O RK S
• The name Jack originally came from the name OWick F G RAN D ORK RK S • E AST G RAN D O RK RK S John along this route – from John to F G RAN D Johnkin FF O S • E AST G RAN D FF O S Published byO Publications O F G RAN D F O RK S • E AST G RAN D F O RK S to Jankin to Jackin to Jack. In Merrie Olde Published by by Wick Wick Publications Publications England, the name Published Jack wasn’t always perPublished by WickaPublications son’s real name, and referred to the common man, such as the phrase, “He’s just an ordinary Jack.” It could also signify a “low-bred or ill-mannered fellow.” 1318 12th Ave. S. • Grand Forks • 701-775-5522 • Jack ranks #24 on the list of most popular boys’ names in the United States. Since 1880, when the nation first started keeping records, Jack has been in the top 250 every single year. The highest rank it has reached was #14 in 1929. • Have you heard the phrase “before you could say Jack Robinson”? It indicates “quickness” or “a very short time.” Historians have had difficulty identifying who exactly Jack Robinson is, but the phrase has been around for centuries. In the early 1800s, it meant a person who quickly changed his mind. In the 17th century, a constable of the Tower of London, Sir John (Jack) Robinson, was known to quickly condemn a felon and order an immediate execution, “faster than you can say Jack Robinson.” Turn the page for more!
Trust Steamatic to Keep Your Home at Its Best!
WANT TO PUBLISH A TIDBITS IN YOUR AREA? ®
We provide the opportunity for success!
Call 1.800.523.3096 www.tidbitsweekly.com
Dakota Pediatric Dentistry Providing Comprehensive Dental Care for Infants, Children & Adolescents.
PREMIUM Value Package
Chad Hoge, DDS, MS
Mikala Hoge, Tyler Johnson, DDS
STANDARD Value Package
Not valid with any other discounts. Minimum 4 areas. An area is defined as an are up to 250 sq ft. Combination of L-shaped areas are considered two areas. Halls, stairs, & closets are considered an area. Residential only. Exp. 1-31-20.
NATURE’S COUNTRY STORE
“So Much More Than a Vitamin Store”
H CBD OIL H
• Largest Selection of Essential Oils • Vitamins & Supplements • Bulk Food • Diet & Fitness Products • Cosmetics Grand Cities Mall
3001 Columbia Rd.
Next to K-Mart
South of Applebee’s
Mail Orders Call Toll Free 1-888-746-4499
Total Purchase of Regular Priced Items Expires 2-29-20
ENJOY THE GIFT OF HEARING
746.7000 GRAND FORKS
4. In the song “Frosty the Snowman,” what made Frosty come to life? 5. Who played George Bailey in the Christmas classic “It’s a Wonderful Life?” 6. In the movie Christmas Vacation, Cousin Eddie is standing in the street in his robe drinking a beer. What brand of beer was it? TRIVIA SPONSORED BY:
1. In the 1964 classic “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” what was the name of Rudolph’s faithful elf companion? 2. What Christmas carol does the Peanuts gang sing at the end of “A Charlie Brown Christmas?” 3. What holiday movie sequel includes a cameo by Donald Trump?
YOU DON'T KNOW JACK (cont.)
• The phrase “Jack of all trades” came about in the 17th century, meaning a man who was good at many things. In 1770, a gentleman’s magazine contended that a “Jack at all trades is seldom good at any,” which was modified in 1785 in print to “Jack of all trades, master of none.” • The name of the famed Whitechapel serial killer wasn’t really Jack, but then the identity of Jack the Ripper was never determined. Five murders from 1888 were definitely attributed to the unknown criminal, but several others were possibly committed by him. The nickname of Jack the Ripper came about from a letter supposedly written by the killer and sent to a London news agency. The number of suspects was upwards of 100, and included a lawyer, a schoolmaster, a thief and con artist, four doctors (including 2 surgeons), a merchant, and a porter. One of the main suspects, George Chapman, was eventually convicted of murder, when three of his wives died under mysterious circumstances.
Grannies Goodies HOMEMADE
Specializing in: • Lefse • Old Fashion Drop Doughnuts • Holiday Baked Goods Sherryl Koop • 701-739-0378 • Grand Forks, ND CALL TO PLACE YOUR ORDER
GIFT CERTIFICATES MAKE A GREAT GIFT
SoundDecisionND.com | 701-738-0713 | 1923 DeMers Ave, Grand Forks
Everyone is Welcome!
312 DeMers Ave. • East Grand Forks, MN • 218-773-2481
LUNCH SERVED 11:00 am - 1:00 pm (M-F)
Walleye Fish Fry FRIDAYS
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Reserve our PARTY ROOMS for your next event!
SATURDAY DEC 21 • 2:30 PM NEW YEAR’S DAY BINGO • 2:00 PM
FRI: 7:30 pm • SAT: 2:30 • SUN: 4 pm
• According to surveys, Jackie Robinson is the most famous Jack. Jack Roosevelt Robinson, Brooklyn Dodgers’ second baseman, broke the color barrier in Major League Baseball in 1947, becoming the first African-American to play in the big leagues. He was named for President Theodore Roosevelt, who had died 25 days before Jackie was born. After his father left the family when Jackie was just a year old, Jackie rose above the odds, lettering in four sports in college. His career with the MLB brought him the Rookie of the Year Award, a six-time AllStar, National League’s MVP, and six World Series appearances. In 1949, a hit song was even recorded about the baseball legend. Bandleader Buddy Johnson released “Did You See Jackie Robinson Hit That Ball?” and it reached #13 on the charts. ...continued
RESERVE YOUR HOLIDAY PIES TODAY!
• Homestyle Apple • Pumpkin • Caramel Apple • Coconut Cream • Chocolate French Silk • Pecan • Peanut Butter Silk • Wildberry • Lemon Meringue • Cherry • Banana Cream • Heath® Crunch
701-746-0493 • 1305 S. Columbia Road, Grand Forks, ND
SPORTS QUIZ 1. When was the last time before 2018 that the Boston Red Sox were at least 40 games above .500 at some point in the season— 1986, 1978, 1949 or 1946? 2. In 2018, the Angels’ Mike Trout became the second major-leaguer to hit at least 30 homers and steal at least 20 bases in a season three times by the age of 26. Who else did it?
3. Name the last team before the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2017 to win a playoff game without scoring a touchdown. 4. How many consecutive years has Gonzaga’s men’s basketball team made the NCAA Tournament—13, 16, 19 or 21? 5. In 2019, LAFC’s Vela reached 20 goals in a season faster than anyone in Major League soccer history. How many games?
PLEASE TELL OUR ADVERTISERS YOU SAW THEIR AD IN TIDBITS! Since 1997
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
The Neatest Little Paper Ever Read® Contact me to schedule your ad in Tidbits!
Christmas Shopping Made Easy!
Home Owned & Operated Since 1939! • 701-772-6611
FREE $10 Gift Card with purchase of $100 in Gift Cards.
Offer ends December 24, 2019 Hwy. 81 North • Grand Forks, ND • Hours: Mon-Sat. 8-8 • Sun. 10-6
EAST GRAND FORKS
AMERICAN LEGION • POST 157 •
YOU DON'T KNOW JACK (cont.)
• In 1962, Jackie Robinson became the first African-American player to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Jackie Robinson Day occurs every year on April 15, a day on which every MLB player wears a No. 42 jersey. • The second most famous Jack is Jack London, the American author of White Fang and Call of the Wild. As a young man, he worked on a seal ship, was employed in a cannery, was an oyster pirate and a railroad tramp. At 17, he wrote a story of a particularly dangerous sealing voyage, which was published in the local paper. After several failures at getting other stories published, he headed north to the Canadian Yukon to seek his fortune in the Klondike gold rush. The quest proved very detrimental to his health, as he experienced scurvy, which led to loss of four teeth, and excruciating hip and leg pain. But something positive came out of the experience, as London used it as the backdrop for some of his first successful stories. He was 27 when Call of the Wild, the story of a Yukon sled dog, was published. Three years later, White Fang was published. During the last 16 years of his life, he published more than 50 books. Rather remarkable, considering he was just 40 years old at the time of his death. • Jackie Chan is the world’s fifth-highest-paid actor, with income of $45.5 million last year. Born in Hong Kong as Chan Kong-sang, this martial artist earned the nickname of Jackie while employed as a construction worker while in college. Another worker named Jack began mentoring Chan, calling him “Little Jack,” which was shortened to Jackie. Chan started out as a child actor at age five, and trained as a chef, then at the China Drama Academy, an opera school, and, of course, in martial arts and acrobatics. He has appeared in more than 150 films and speaks eight languages. ...continued
• Weddings • Graduation • Parties • Meetings • & More
PULL Thursdays: 7:00 pm TA B S Sundays: 1:30 pm 1009 CENTRAL AVE. • EAST GRAND FORKS • 218-773-1129
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
Book Our BALLROOM:
*Answer located further back in this issue.
REMOTE AUTO STARTS Deluxe Start, 2-Way Track, & Remote Control Start Your Car • Up to From 1,500 ft. Anywhere, range
Right from your Phone.
We carry Meyer plows for Residental and Commercial use, and a wide variety of Salt Spreaders.
All-Weather Floor Mats
Customized to fit your specific vehicle. Deeply sculpted channels designed to trap water, road salt, mud and sand. These mats are engineered to prevent curling & cracking in sub-zero weather.
Low-Profile Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
6105 Gateway Drive • Grand Forks, ND 701-746-0083 • 800-279-7492 • Hours: M-F 9-6 and Sat. 9-3
GIFT CARDS MAKE A GREAT GIFT
0% FINANCING Up to 18 Months
See Store for Details
www.newvisiontruckaccessories.com H Professional Installation on All Products we sell
LAST MINUTE GIFTS
YOU DON'T KNOW JACK (cont.)
Huge selection of candy STOCKING STUFFER
Life is Sweeter at the Candy Corner!
COLUMBIA MALL Grand Forks, ND
701-757-4008 Hours: M-Sat. 11-7 • Sun 12-6
FULL FAMILY CARE Infants to Adults
TREATING: • Neck Pain • Low Back Pain • Headaches • Sciatica • Sports Injuries • DOT Physical-Certified
2840 19th Ave. S. • Grand Forks
Dr. John Fulp, D.C. FREE ESTIMATES!
Magnetic Interior Storm Windows
Dr. Marshal Pederson, D.C. n
s o op ati St ens nd Co
• Virtually Eliminates • Custom Made to fit almost Condensation and Frost any window or patio door • Lower Heat bills up to 50% SPECIAL PRICING! • Fraction the Cost of Replacement Windows • Install & Remove in Seconds Must Show Coupon • Exp. 12-31-19 • Keeps drafts, dust & noise out See our Showroom at: 4224 Gateway Dr. • Grand Forks • Save Money and Energy
701-746-8684 • sunroomsplusgf.com
UP TO $350 OFF!
on select FIREPLACES
Must Show Coupon • Exp. 12-31-19
• Fireplaces & Stoves • Gas, Wood, Electric, and Pellet • Inserts • Mantels • Brick & Stone • Glass Doors
30+ Different Burning Displays
• The sixth most famous Jack is professional golfer Jack Nicklaus, The Golden Bear, who has won a record 18 major golf championships. Less than a year after turning professional at age 21, he won the 1962 U.S. Open, defeating Arnold Palmer by three shots. At 23, he won his first Masters Tournament, followed by Masters wins in 1965 and 1966, the first golfer to win two years in a row, and again in 1972 and 1975. In 1986, at age 46, he won his final Masters, making him the oldest Masters winner in history. He has won that tournament more times than anyone else, two more than Arnold Palmer, and one more than Tiger Woods. Nicklaus holds more major championships than any other player, 18 in a 25-year span. • The popular television series “Hawaii Five-O” is in its tenth season on CBS. It’s a re-creation of the original that ran from 1968 to 1980. The role of Captain Steve McGarrett was played by John Joseph Patrick Ryan, better known by his stage name Jack Lord. Lord already had a well-known theater, film, and television career prior to the 284 episodes of “Hawaii Five-O.” He was also a gifted painter, with his works displayed in New York City’s Metropolitan Museum of Art and 40+ museums and galleries around the world. Jack Lord spent much of his free time promoting tourism in Hawaii, and was even asked to run for governor. He set up a trust to give back to the Islands’ people, and since his death in 1998, the fund has been donating $2 million every year to nonprofit organizations, including hospice care centers, service animal groups, humane societies, academies for the arts, and public television.
A sweet PAYCHECK with a side of FRIES! Pay up to $30 per hour
Apply today at www.simplot.com/careers
work somewhere you ♥
Truck Unloading & Stocking (Must be available to work at 4:00 am)
Starting Wage $13.00 / hour *Answer located further back in this issue.
© 2019 King Features Syndicate. All rights reserved.
• Flexible Schedule • 10% Discount • 20% Wellness Discount • Fast, Fun and Friendly work environment
Apply on-line at Target.com/careers Target is an equal employment opportunity employer and is a drug-free workplace. Target Stores. The Bullseye Design is a registered trademark of Target Brands, Inc. All rights reserved.
by Samantha Weaver
• It was Polish chess grandmaster Savielly Tartakower who made the following sage observation: "Victory goes to the player who makes the nextto-last mistake." • Worldwide, herbivores kill more people than carnivores.
• Bulletproof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers and laser printers all were invented by women. • Japanese scientists have discovered that the human body emits a very slight, yet perceptible, glow. After using a special camera to study a sample of men in their 20s, they found that intensity of the glow varies, with the lowest point at around 10 a.m. and the brightest at 4 a.m.
• In 1743, a hand-operated elevator was installed in the palace of Versailles. Louis XV used it to visit Madame de Chateauroux, his mistress. • Due to a quirk in the transition from one kind of calendar system to another, nobody was born between Oct. 4 and Oct. 15 in continental Europe in the year 1582. • If you're like me, social situations can be a nightmare of trying -- and usually failing -- to remember the names of all your new acquaintances. The next time you find yourself struggling to name the person you're conversing with, you can always segue into this interesting tidbit: The inability to remember names is technically known as anomia. • In ancient Japan, towns would have public contests to see who could break wind the loudest and the longest. Prizes were awarded.
Start the Drive With Low Auto Rates, and You Could Win $500**
• It is possible for a fetus in the womb to get hiccups. *** Thought for the Day: "Doctors are the same as lawyers; the only difference is that lawyers merely rob you, whereas doctors rob you and kill you too." -- Anton Chekhov
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
servicecu.org • 800.936.7730 Insured by NCUA | *Rates shown are Annual Percentage Rate (APR), accurate as of 11/01/19 and subject to change without notice. Rates advertised with a .75% reduction. The .75% reduction is available for the Direct Deposit+ checking account tier (example: 3.49% APR less .75% = 2.74%). Up to a .75% discount will be applied to the APR that a member qualifies for based on creditworthiness and checking account tier. Members must maintain the tier qualifications for the life of the loan in order to keep their loan discount. Floor rate may apply. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Must be member of Service CU or eligible for membership. **No purchase necessary to win. One (1) entry awarded for each eligible consumer loan closed during the contest period (9/1/19-12/31/19). Must be a lawful permanent resident of the United States and be 18 years or older to enter. See official rules for details.
KING C R O S S W O R D
FROM PAYROLL AND BOOKKEEPING TO FROM PAYROLL AND BOOKKEEPING TO EXPERT TAX PREPARATION AND ADVICE, EXPERT TAXIS PREPARATION ANDFOR ADVICE, H&R BLOCK READY TO WORK YOU. FROM PAYROLL AND BOOKKEEPING TO H&R BLOCK IS READY TO WORK FOR YOU. EXPERT TAX PREPARATION AND ADVICE, FROM PAYROLL AND BOOKKEEPING TO FROM PAYROLL AND BOOKKEEPING TO H&R BLOCK IS READY TO WORK FOR YOU. EXPERT TAX PREPARATION AND ADVICE, Put our expertise to work for you. Come visit or call us today. EXPERT TAX PREPARATION AND ADVICE, Put our expertise to work for you. Come visit or call us today. H&R BLOCK IS READY TO WORK FOR YOU. H&R BLOCK IS READY TO WORK FOR YOU. Put our expertise to work for you. Come visit or call us today.
Put our expertise to work for you. Come visit or call us today. Put our expertise to work for you. Come visit or call us today.
2600 Demers Ave 2600 Demers Grand Forks, ND Ave 58201 Grand Forks, ND 58201 701-746-7361 2600 Demers Ave 701-746-7361 Grand Forks, ND 58201 2600 Demers Ave 2600 Demers 701-746-7361 Grand Forks, ND Ave 58201 Grand Forks, ND 58201 701-746-7361 701-746-7361
2715 S WASHINGTON ST 2715 S WASHINGTON ST GRAND FORKS, ND 58201 GRAND FORKS, ND 58201 701-746-0425 2715 701-746-0425 S WASHINGTON ST GRAND FORKS, ND 58201 2715 SOBTP#B13696 WASHINGTON ST ©2017 HRB Tax Group, Inc. 2715 S WASHINGTON ST 701-746-0425 GRAND FORKS, ND 58201 OBTP#B13696 ©2017 HRB Tax Group, Inc. GRAND FORKS, ND 58201 701-746-0425 701-746-0425 OBTP#B13696 ©2017 HRB Tax Group, Inc. OBTP#B13696 ©2017 HRB Tax Group, Inc. OBTP#B13696 ©2017 HRB Tax Group, Inc.
Contact your local agent
• Medicare Contact your local agent for for more information: Coverage more information: t for more information: • Group <Agent Name> A Medical INSURANCE AGENCY <Agency Name> Life Ins. • <Address> Rick Asche • 701-772-1138 H2409, H2410, H2450_2058 (01-2009) <City, ST ZIP> <Phone> 1521 24th Ave. S. • Grand Forks, ND <Hours of Operation> > “Since 1988”
Life • Medicare • Group Plans • Health • Long Term Care
©2009 Medica. Medica contracts with the federal government. ®
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
S U D O K U
by Linda Thistle
009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
Place a number in the empty boxes in such a way that each row across, each column down and each small 9-box square contains all of the numbers from one to nine.
Check our Facebook page for FREE GIVEAWAYS!
ason ‘Tis the Se for arts! Remote St g Best Pricin in Town * ! Guaranteed Gift Certificates Available
DIFFICULTY THIS WEEK: H Moderate
Challenging HOO BOY!
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
40+ Years Combined Experience
*See Store for Details!
NEW LOCATION! 3459 31st St. S. • Grand Forks (Across the street East of Hobby Lobby)
• Jack’s super-human strength enabled him to swim from San Francisco’s Alcatraz Island to Fisherman’s Wharf while handcuffed, shackled, towing a 1,000-lb. boat tied to a belt around his waist. On the nation’s 200th birthday in 1976, Lalanne towed 13 aluminum boats, one for each of the original 13 colonies, for a mile along a California beach. That feat was further intensified by the addition of 76 children divided among the boats. LaLanne’s feet were bound and his hands were cuffed as well. All of this at the age of 62!
• Jack LaLanne, the “Godfather of Modern Fitness” wasn’t born as Jack, but rather Francois Henri LaLanne, the son of French immigrants. As a child, he was a self-proclaimed “junk food junkie” and “sugarholic” until, at age 15, he was ill from poor eating habits. After attending a lecture on health and nutrition, Jack made the decision to change his life. • Jack joined the YMCA and began weightlifting and eating a healthy diet, leading him to the Olympic wrestling team in 1936 at age 22. That same year, he opened America’s first fitness gym in Oakland, featuring a juice bar and health food store. Ironically, physicians warned their patients to stay away from the club, cautioning them was “LaLanne was an exercise nut,” whose programs would cause severe medical problems.
• He celebrated his 70th birthday by towing a convoy of 70 rowboats and passengers during a mile-long swim along the California coast, a 2 ½-hr. effort. • Jack’s 95th birthday was marked by the release of a new book, Live Young Forever. He was still exercising two hours a day, typically 90 minutes of weight-lifting and 30 minutes of training.
• In the meantime, Jack was earning his Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine degree, studying the human body intently with a focus on bodybuilding and weightlifting.
• Jack’s diet was primarily vegetarian, but included fish in his evening meal and hard-boiled egg whites for breakfast. He favored raw vegetables, fruit, and oatmeal, and avoided snacks and refined sugar. He blamed processed foods for many of the nation’s health problems. He was known to jest, “If man makes it, don’t eat it,” and “If it tastes good, spit it out.” Jack also asserted that “many of our aches and pains come from lack of physical activity.”
• LaLanne was also an inventor, designing several gym machines, his famous Power Juicer, protein powder, instant breakfast, and the protein bar. He authored 12 books, including Abundant Health and Vitality after 40 and Celebrating 90 Plus Years of Healthy Living. • In 1953, at age 39, his famous fitness television program premiered and ran until 1985. Appealing to the stay-athome mothers watching the daytime show, Jack invited his wife Elaine to demonstrate the exercises, and their dog Happy appeared on each show as well. Jack set a world record for pushups on television in 1956 at age 42, accomplishing 1,033 in 23 minutes.
• At age 96, Jack came down with pneumonia, and was sick for a week, refusing to see a doctor. He passed away from the illness in 2011, and had performed his regular daily exercise routine up to the day before he died.
o! Ho! H Ho! Christmas Gift Items @ Clearance Prices!
Find us on Facebook: Curt D. Johnson Auction Company
WHY PAY RETAIL PRICES? Membership Clubs Overtstocks
TS! BRAND NEW PRODUC UP TO 50% OFF Wholesale Prices!! les, + Antiques & Collectib ore!
Vintage & Retro, & M
VENDOR SPACES AVAILABLE • Call for details
OPEN EVERY WEEK:
NEW INVENTORY ARRIVING WEEKLY!
FRI. & SAT. 10 AM - 6 PM & SUNDAY 12 NOON - 6 PM
2105 Central Ave. NW • East Grand Forks, MN • 701.746.1378
Solution located on next page.
PLEASE TELL OUR ADVERTISERS THAT YOU SAW THEIR AD IN TIDBITS!
King Features Weekly Service ©2019 King Features Syndicate, Inc. All rights reserved.
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
(Answers located further back)
December 9, 2019
• Be sure to eat a hearty breakfast before heading out to the airport. Pack a piece or two of whole fruit or a portion of nuts for snacking, and bring an empty water bottle so that you can make it through airport security and fill the bottle when you are at the gate. Being hydrated and having healthy snacks will make your travel experience more pleasant. • “Print a physical copy of your travel itinerary, including flight numbers. Stow a copy inside a secure spot in your luggage so that if it gets lost, you’ll be easy to find. I like to put mine inside the zippered net bag that’s attached to my suitcase.” — E.L. in Ohio • Pack a hanging luggage scale. This is especially helpful at the holidays, when you may be both taking gifts to give and returning with gifts given to you. • When planning a vacation or even a visit home for the holidays, it’s important to manage everyone’s expectations. Imagine Mom expects her grown kids to spend most of their time seeing extended family, while they are making plans to see childhood friends while in town. Have a chat with parents, siblings and extended family so that everyone has a good idea of what the plan is. • “For large gatherings, borrow what you need from local friends and family. That includes chairs, servingware, place settings, silverware and linens! Most people are happy to help.” — R.R. in Alabama • “We have a large family, and when we all get together at the holidays — or anytime — we share a screenshot of our itinerary in a group text as we make plans. This way, we can try to group up for pickups from the airport or car rentals.” — C.A. in Oregon Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
In The Park • On Dec. 28, 1793, British-born American revolutionary Thomas Paine, author of "Common Sense," is arrested in France for treason, having been tried in absentia and convicted. Paine was imprisoned in a former palace, where he had a large room with windows and catered meals. • On Dec. 24, 1851, a fire sweeps through the Library of Congress and destroys two-thirds of Thomas Jefferson's personal literary collection. Jefferson had sold his personal library of 6,487 books to Congress after the British burned the Congressional library in 1814. • On Dec. 23, 1888, Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh, suffering from severe depression, cuts off the lower part of his left ear with a razor. He later documented the event in a painting titled "SelfPortrait with Bandaged Ear." • On Dec. 27, 1900, prohibitionist Carry Nation smashes up a bar in Wichita, Kansas, causing extensive damage and landing in jail. Nation became famous for carrying a hatchet and wrecking saloons, and sold souvenir hatchets to help fund her anti-alcohol activities. • On Dec. 29, 1915, the French National Assembly passes a law formally ceding the land that holds the British war cemeteries to Great Britain, ensuring that its saddest and most sacred monuments would be forever protected. • On Dec. 26, 1946, infamous gangster Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel opens his Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas. The grand opening was a flop, however, and the casino lost $300,000 in the first week. The hotel was named after Siegel's girlfriend, whose nickname was "The Flamingo" because of her red hair and long legs. • On Dec. 25, 1962, "To Kill a Mockingbird," a film based on the novel by Harper Lee, opens in theaters. The Great Depression-era story of racial injustice and the loss of childhood innocence is told from the perspective of a young Alabama girl named Scout Finch. © 2019 Hearst Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Nov. 29 thru Dec. 31 Lincoln Drive Park 5:30-10:00pm
Sponsored by: Lions Clubs of Grand Forks
• $6 per Car • $10 per Limo • $20 for Buses
All proceeds donated to local charities
SUPPORT GROUPS THURSDAYS AT 6:30PM BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 12 DIVORCE CARE GRIEF SHARE CELEBRATE RECOVERY CONQUER SERIES (MEN’S GROUP ON SEXUAL PURITY) HOPE FOR THE JOURNEY (CANCER PATIENTS, SURVIVORS & CAREGIVERS)
MENDING THE SOUL (WOMEN’S GROUP ON ABUSE) CHILDREN COPING WITH LOSS FINDING HOPE (DEPRESSION/ANXIETY) BETRAYAL AND BEYOND (WOMEN’S GROUP FOR THOSE BETRAYED BY THEIR HUSBAND OR SPOUSE)
SILENT CRY (WOMEN’S GROUP FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SUFFERED A MISCARRIAGE OR LOSS OF A CHILD) JAM KIDS (CHILDCARE FOR THOSE ATTENDING A SUPPORT GROUP) FOR MORE INFORMATION: WWW.GFHOPE.ORG/SUPPORTGROUPS
Grand Forks WANT HELP STARTING YOUR OWN SMALL BUSINESS? Free Consulting • Confidential • Business Plans
LOCATION: 4200 James Ray Drive•Grand Forks (Off corner of 42nd St. & University Ave.) Park in visitor parking in front of center. Enter through front door. Office #202
Call: 701-746-5851 or email: email@example.com
*Answer located below.
d Cities Gam n ra G 120 N. Wash. St. Grand Forks
BUY 2 BOARD GAMES GET 1 FREE
Free Board Game must be equal or lesser value of 2 purchased. Exp. 1-31-20
• Comics • Trading Cards • Warhammer • Board Games • RPGs • Dice • Gaming Rooms
Solution on Next Page
• The French term “diable en boite” translates “devil in a box,” and is the term used for a musical jack-in-the-box toy. It’s believed that this toy’s origins date back to the 14th century, when a high-ranking English clergyman cast the devil into a boot to protect a Buckinghamshire village. The 1563 book “Actes and Monuments” by John Foxe, used the term jack-in-in-the-box to refer to a swindler who would cheat customers by selling them empty boxes without their merchandise inside. In the early 1500s, a German clockmaker fabricated a wooden box with a handle that would pop out a cartoon devil or “Jack” when the handle was cranked. The jack-in-the-box as we know it today with a cloth clown popping out of a tin box originated in the 1930s. Most of the toys used the song “Pop Goes the Weasel,” with the lid opening up when the word “Pop” would be sung. • Johnny Depp was chosen to play the role of pirate Jack Sparrow in the Disney-produced Pirates of the Caribbean film series, which was based on Disneyland’s attraction of the same name. The first film, The Curse of the Black Pearl, debuted in 2003. Jack Sparrow sought to regain his ship, the Black Pearl, from his mutinous first mate Hector Barbossa. Depp based his characterization on his long-time friend, the Rolling Stones’ guitarist Keith Richards. Richards himself appeared in two cameos in the films as Jack’s father, Captain Teague. During the filming, Depp wore dark contact lenses which acted as sunglasses in order to avoid squinting in the sun all the time. ...continued
FICTIONAL JACKS (cont.)
DIFFERENCES: 1. Woman's hat is different. 2. Blanket has a ruffle. 3. House has more windows. 4. Woman's coat has buttons. 5. Tree has extra limb. 6. Mom's bangs are different. © 2019 King Features Synd., All rights reserved.
Professional Home Inspection Service CERTIFIED INSPECTOR
• Tim Burton first introduced Jack Skellington in a poem he wrote in 1982. It would be 11 year before the character would debut on the big screen in “The Nightmare Before Christmas.” In the production, Jack, whose surname is based on the word “skeleton,” is the patron spirit of Halloween, a living skeleton and Pumpkin King of Halloween Town. The movie was so labor-intensive to produce that it took a week to shoot one minute of film. Jack had 400 different hand-sculpted heads that were changed each time the character changed his facial expression. The 76-minute film took a full three years to create. • There’s a deeper meaning to the simple nursery rhyme “Jack and Jill.” According to legend, it has its roots in France with Jack representing King Louis XVI, who was beheaded (lost his crown), and was followed by Jill, Queen Marie Antoinette, who came tumbling after. Those beheadings took place in 1793, and the nursery rhyme was first published in 1795. Other sources state that the rhyme is from 16th-century England, and was first known as “Jack and Gill,” two young boys. It was performed as a comedy act in the mid-1500s in the Elizabethan court. • Another nursery rhyme character, Jack Sprat, appeared as early as 1639 in a collection of English verse and proverbs. The name of Jack Sprat was used to denote those with a small physique. • That mischievous sprite known as Jack Frost has his origins in Norse or Viking mythology with the name of Jokil Frosti, and thought of as the son of the god of wind. He became the imp responsible for painting fern-like ice paintings on windows in winter in a mid-1800s poem “The Frost. An 1872 short story “The Frost Fairies” depicts him as the King of the Winter Spirits endeavoring to rescue children from the cruel King Winter.
1. Hermey 2. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
3. 4. 5. 6.
Home Alone 2 An old silk hat Jimmy Stewart Meister Brau
24HR EMERGENCY SERVICE
• Residential • Commercial • Industrial
• Mobile Home Parks
(701) 746-8947 1-800-438-7686 • www.rotorooter.com
Sports Answers 4. Twenty-one 1. It was 1949 consecutive 2. Willie Mays seasons. 3. Indianapolis Colts in 2006 5. 20 games.
Information in the Tidbits® Paper is gathered from sources considered to be reliable but the accuracy of all information cannot be guaranteed.
WE'RE TAKING A LITTLE BREAK answer
THE NEXT ISSUE OF
Send $17.95 (plus $5.00 S&H) by Check or Money Order
Tidbits Media, Inc.
1430 I-85 Parkway, Ste. 210 nd Montgomery, AL 36106 (800) 523-3096
BOOK SETon January 2 willTidbits publish Books II & III
THANKS FOR READING TIDBITS!
The Tidbits® Paper is a division of Tidbits Media, Inc. • Montgomery, AL 36106 (800) 523-3096 • All Rights Reserved
Please Recycle this copy of Tidbits. Share it with a Friend.
$50 OFF *Limited
Gift Certificates Available!
Flex 2 Reg. $549.00
Edge 2x Reg. $619.00
Edge 1x Reg. $439.00
• 3000 ft. Range • 2-Way Feedback • Includes 2-Way &
• 1-Mile Range • 2-Way Feedback • Inverted LCD Screen • Includes 2-Way &
*Most Makes & Models
INSTALLED* • 1-Mile Range • Includes Two 1-Way remotes
PROFESSIONAL INSTALL TEAM
You’re Never Out of Range Whether you’re at the mall, the game, or the airport, you’ll always be able to start your car using the DroneMobile app.
30 Days FREE Basic Service
With purchase of Drone Mobile
Receive Detailed Alerts: When your car is broken into.
When your door is opened
Remote Start and Drone Mobile Package available at Special Pricing. Ask your Accessories Professional at Rydell’s.
When your engine is started.
Heated Seat Kits INSTALLATION
• Heats Up in Seconds • Even Heat Distribution • Safe & Durable
Floor Liners • Most advanced floor protection available today. • Perfect fit. • Rigid core for strength. • Surface friction to the carpet. • Lower reservoir that channels fluids and debris away from shoes and clothing.
INSTALLED* *Per seat
Reg. $285.00 *For a Limited Time
Low Can be Installed in Front & Back Seats
*Most Makes & Models
Large Inventory on Hand
*Most Makes & Models
WE INSTALL: • Auto Starts • Truck Bedliners • Running Boards / Nerf Bars • Bed Rails • Tonneau Covers • Chrome Accessories • Rims & Tires • WeatherTech • Window Tinting • Hitches • Grille Guards • DVD Headrests • & Much More!
2700 South Washington St. Grand Forks, ND
Accessories Deptartment: AJ Preston 701-757-5969
"You Don't Know Jack," "Jack LaLanne" and " Fictional Jacks"