N e at e s t
Little Paper Ever Read®
LES • PUZZ A I V I R S •T FACT • FUN
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
Big savings Issue # 1,123 Published by: Wick Publications 701-740-0968 firstname.lastname@example.org TIDBITS CELEBRATES THE for Bigsafe savings AIR CONDITIONER drivers. See why for safe SUMMER SOLSTICE See whytrust millions TUNE-UP by Kathy Wolfe When you need us, drivers. millions trust us for Home One Hour® is here to help.
June 13, 2019
Sharon Opdahl, Agent 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite F Grand Forks, ND 58201 Bus: 701-746-0495 email@example.com Sharon Opdahl, Agent Sharon Opdahl Sharon Opdahl, Agent Sharon Opdahl, Agent 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite F 253417th 17th Avenue South, Suite FF 2534 Avenue South, Suite Agent Grand Forks, NDND 58201 Sharon Opdahl, Agent Grand Forks, 58201 Grand Forks, ND 58201 Bus: 701-746-0495 2534 17th Avenue South, Bus: 701-746-0495 Bus: 701-746-0495 Suite F firstname.lastname@example.org Grand Forks, ND 58201 email@example.com 2534 17th Ave. S. • Suite firstname.lastname@example.org
for Home &usAuto. Auto.up to 50%. Get& a discount
I can help lower your premium through Drive Safe & Save™. I’m here toState help life go lifeup go right ,, Get discount 50%. to help ® . to GetI’m tohere aabetter ™ you time and money byright saving money ,toby saving you here help life right , can help lower yourgopremium GetII’m State Farm. your home when you combine home ™ by saving you time and money time and money when through Drive Safe & Save . ME TODAY. and auto insurance. FCALL ® home when combine your . home Get toyou a better State you combine your Bus: 701-746-0495 ME TODAY. and State auto insurance. email@example.com Grand Forks, ND 58201 CALL Get Farm. and auto insurance. CALL ME TODAY. 701-746-0495 CALL ME TODAY.
CALL ME TODAY.
StateFarm Farm Mutual Mutual Automobile Automobile Insurance Insurance Company Company State State Farm Farm Indemnity Indemnity Company Company State
State Farm Fire and Casualty Casualty Company StateState FarmFarm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Fire and Company State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company State FarmFarm General Insurance Company IL State Indemnity Company State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, State Farm General Insurance Company Bloomington, IL Company State FarmBloomington, Fire and Casualty IL State Farm General Insurance Company Bloomington, IL
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL
ORGANIC SALON SPA
Hair Loss Hospital
ONLY This year, the Summer Solstice will fall on FriAt One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® day, June 21, and will be the Northern HemiWe Offer the Following Services: • StraightForward Pricing sphere’s longest day of the year and the South• We Service of All Major ern Hemisphere’s shortest day. It’s when the sun • 24-Hour Emergency CALL NOW! • Technicians are Drug be combined with other coupons reaches its highest position in the sky, and the Cannot or offers. Does not apply to prior sales. Background Checked *Travel charges may apply out of town. • Fully Equipped Big Expires June 28, 2019 Earth’s North Pole tilts directly toward the sun. bearshomesolutions.com • Latest Technology for After this day, the length of days decreases as Detection, and Repair • Air Purifying Systems the season progresses toward the next solstice. Products • Repair and Maintenance Follow along as Tidbits sets its sights on that Servicing the event and other happenings that have occurred Call (701) 205-1157 or visi during this Solstice week over the years. Forks, ND 701-775-5522 Grand www.onehourair.com Ask about Military and Senior Discounts • On the June solstice, in the Northern Hemisphere, the solstice is used as the start of the summer season. The tilt of the Earth’s axis is Always on Time or You Don’t Pay a Dime most aligned with the sun, providing us with Full Time and Part Time the most daylight of any day of the year. South • No weekends, evenings or holidays of the Antarctic Circle, there is no direct sun• We offer competitive pay, light whatsoever, known as Polar Night. mileage reimbursement, bonuses,
NOW HIRING License# OH0181
• REPAIR • REFRESH • Every year, thousands gather at Stonehenge, and incentives. Apply at our office: • RECLAIM the stone circle in Wiltshire, England, to O F G RAN D Fwatch O RK S • E AST G RAN D F O RK S 1407 24th Ave. S. Grand Forks, ND the sun rise above the circle’s Heel Southpoint Call to learn about Business Center•Entrance H Stone. Stonehenge’s age is estimated at 4,500 Published by Wick Publications Hair Loss Therapy! or Call 701-775-6778
701-739-2403 2600 DeMers Ave. Grand Forks, ND
years, and the Neolithic stone circle is wellknown for its alignment with the movement of the sun. The sunrise of the summer solstice and the sunset of the winter solstice align with Stonehenge.
Turn the page for more!
WANT TO PUBLISH A TIDBITS IN YOUR AREA? ®
We provide the opportunity for success!
Call 1.800.523.3096 www.tidbitsweekly.com
Donate blood in the month of January and receive a free t-shirt
along with free cholesterol screening!
A dentist with 2 years of additional training beyond dental school to specialize in dental care for infants, children & adolescents. Your child will love coming to see us!
Chad Hoge, DDS, MS
National Blood Donor Month!
Mikala Hoge, DDS
Check For youran eligibility date and appointment call: call for an appointment: 780-LIFE (5433) or e-mail: 780-LIFE (5433) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com www.dakminnbloodbank.org www.dakminnbloodbank.org
SUMMER SOLSTICE (cont.): 701-746-8684
4224 Gateway Dr. • Grand Forks www.sunroomsplusgf.com
Cool your Deck or Patio with a
• Sunrooms • Metal & Cloth Motorized Sunsetter Awning! • Screenrooms Awnings * *Thru • Decks • Playground Equip. June 30 Any Retractable Sunsetter Model • Gazebos • Window Tinting + FREE Awning Cover ($114.99 value) MUST SHOW
Roberton Construction is now accepting applications for Residential concrete workers and carpenters. Full-time, year-round work with NO overnight travel. Benefits. Apply in person at 2128B 17th Ave. S., Grand Forks, ND
Quiz Bits 1. 2. 3. 4. 5.
6. What was the name of the character who played the bass guitar player in the TV show What kitty-cat comic strip “The Partridge Family”? debuted on June 19, 1978? 7. Name the song that contains Name the birthstone for the this lyric: “I know that it must month of June. be the woman in you that What holiday was celebrated brings out the man in me, I for the first time in June, 1910 know I can’t help myself.” in the city of Spokane, WA? 8. What is the site of the 2020 What is the capital of Australia? Summer Olympics? What was the Doors’ first No. TRIVIA 1 single? SPONSORED BY:
Everyone is Welcome!
312 DeMers Ave. • East Grand Forks, MN • 218-773-2481 00523
LUNCH SERVED 11:00 am - 1:00 pm (M-F)
Walleye Fish Fry FRIDAYS 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
PULL TABS FULL FAMILY CARE Infants to Adults
FRIDAY 7:30 pm SATURDAY 2:30 pm SUNDAY 4:00 pm TREATING: • Neck Pain • Low Back Pain • Headaches • Sciatica • Sports Injuries • DOT Physical-Certified
2840 19th Ave. S. • Grand Forks
Dr. John Fulp, D.C.
Dr. Marshal Pederson, D.C.
• This week was significant in amusement park history. On June 16, 1884, America’s first roller coaster opened on Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York. The Switchback Railway, as it was called was a 600-foot wood structure that traveled at about 6 miles per hour. At the cost of a nickel per ride, the coaster generated $600 a day, and had paid for itself in just three weeks. Although the coaster was torn down, Coney Island’s famous Cyclone roller coaster sits on the same site. The Cyclone, which opened in 1927, reaches speeds of 60 mph, and has an 85foot drop. It’s one of America’s oldest coasters still in operation. On June 21, 1893, the Ferris wheel made its debut at Chicago’s Columbian Exposition. Measuring 250 feet in diameter and requiring 100,000 parts, with 36 cars each carrying 60 people, the wheel was the brainstorm of a 33-year-old Pittsburgh engineer named George Ferris, Jr. For the 19 weeks of the fair’s operation, more than 1.4 million people rode the Ferris Wheel, paying 50 cents for the 20-minute ride. Unfortunately, the wheel created several legal issues for George Ferris, who was bankrupt just three years after the fair closed. He then contracted typhoid fever and died at age 37. The Ferris wheel became an integral part of the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, but two years later, it was dynamited and sold for scrap. • June 16, 1903 was a big day in the business world. It’s the day that Henry Ford and his 12 stockholders gathered in Detroit to sign the paperwork to incorporate the Ford Motor Company. It had been seven years since Ford had built his first gasoline-powered vehicle in the workshop behind his house. ...continued
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
Sales & Installation
*Answer located further back in this issue.
126TH ANNUAL PEMBINA COUNTY FAIR
Thursday, Friday, & Saturday, June 27th, 28th, & 29th, 2019 @ Hamilton, ND
Free Fireworks Display Saturday, June 29th 10:00 p.m.
Sponsored in part by Citizens State Bank - Midwest
Chris Hawkey CONCERT
3 Decades of Rock Thursday @ 8:00 p.m.
AGES 12 & UP $ 00
Sponsored in part by United Valley Bank
CHUCKWAGON, CHARIOT, & BARREL RACING Friday @ 7:00 p.m. AGES 12 & UP $ 00
AGES 5-11 $ 00
KIDS’ DAY TOURNAMENT SATURDAY @ 10:30 AM
Saturday, June 29th 1:30 p.m. 3:00 p.m. - Pedal Pull at the Free Stage
CHUCKWAGON & CHARIOT RACING &e th
Friday & Saturday 5-10 pm 12-10 pm
Saturday, June 29th @ 7:00 p.m. AGES 12 & UP
Sponsored by Norm Enerson Crop Ins. & ND Council on the Arts
Dean Wil its Karaoke
Friday, June 28th @ 9 p.m. & Saturday following Fireworks
Thursday, June 27 - - - - - - - - 5-10 p.m. Friday, June 28- - - - - - - - - - - 5-10 p.m. Saturday, June 29- - - - - Noon to 5 p.m. & 5-10 p.m. If you purchase 3 Wrist Band Vouchers for $20.00 each before 5:00 p.m. Thursday, June 27th, you receive a 4th voucher FREE!
Call 701-370-8284 for Ticket Information. Starting June 24th, call the Fair Office @ 265-3134.
Solution on Next Page
PLEASE TELL OUR ADVERTISERS YOU SAW THEIR AD IN TIDBITS!
GUMMIES! GUMMIES! GUMMIES!
COLUMBIA MALL Grand Forks, ND
701-757-4008 Hours: M-Sat. 11-7 • Sun 12-6
SUMMER SOLSTICE (cont.):
• One month after the Ford Motor Company was established, the first Ford vehicle was assembled at a Detroit plant. Elsewhere in the business world, on the same day in New Bern, North Carolina, Caleb Bradham was registering the official trademark for his invention, Pepsi-Cola. Originally known as “Brad’s Drink” and served at Bradham’s downtown drug store, it was a mixture of sugar, water, caramel, lemon oil, and nutmeg. He renamed it Pepsi-Cola, taking the term from the word dyspepsia, meaning indigestion. Bradham claimed it was a healthy drink, and used the slogan, “Exhilarating, Invigorating, Aids Digestion” • All eyes were on the television screen on June 17, 1994, as a white Ford Bronco raced down a California freeway, chased by Los Angeles policemen. They were chasing former football great O.J. Simpson, who had been charged that morning with the murder of his wife Nicole and her friend Ronald Goldman. Simpson was scheduled to surrender at 11:00 AM, but instead fled in the Bronco to the Santa Ana freeway, where he engaged police in an hour-and-a-half pursuit before surrendering in the driveway of his Brentwood home. He was arraigned on June 20, 1994, and “The Trial of the Century” began, ending in Simpson’s acquittal in 1995. • On June 18, 1983, astronaut Sally Ride stepped aboard the space shuttle Challenger, the first American woman in space, as well as the youngest American astronaut at age 32. The physicist and engineer had answered an ad in the Stanford University student newspaper, announcing the search for applicants for the U.S. space program. At age 27, she was chosen by NASA to join the program. After leaving NASA in 1987, Ride returned to Stanford, this time to work at the Center for International Security and Arms Control. She later became a physics professor at the University of California. ...cont'd
Would You Like Tidbits in Your Waiting Area? Call Tidbits @ 740-0968 It’s FREE and your customers will love it!
Find healing and freedom from life’s hurts, hang-ups and habits.
A Christ-centered recovery ministry!
1601 17th Ave S Grand Forks ND 701.772.1884 Thursdays @ 6:30pm
Home Owned & Operated Since 1939! • 701-772-6611
24-Pack 1/2-Liter Bottled Water
4 Cases for
#4495 (354-390) Reg. $3.99
4x2 $ Ad
Price Good Thru June 23, 2019
U.S. Flag Set with 6’ Pole
#AA-US1-1 (6263-0081) Reg. $12.99 Price Good Thru July 4, 2019
Hwy. 81 North • Grand Forks, ND • Hours: M-F 8-8 • Sat. 8-6 • Sun. 12-6
Where tails are waggin’ Where tails are waggin’ & dogs are braggin’ & dogs are braggin’
Full Grooming Salon Call or text & Spa Service
701-330-4248 Call or Text
1020 S.Washington Washington St GF 1020 S. St. • Grand Forks
• Audio • Speakers • Lighting
ON E & D ON E ROOFING & CONSTRUCTION
701- 2 1 3 -3970 • FREE BIDS • LOWER PRICES • FAMILY OWNED • QUALITY WORK ND LICENSED, BONDED & INSURED
SPORTS QUIZ 1. Who was the last NHL player before Calgary’s Johnny gaudreau in 2019 to have a six-point game? (hint: Central Div. 2013) 2. How many pro bouts did Hall of Fame boxer Sugar Ray Leonard win before suffering his first defeat— 21, 23, 25 or 27? 3. Which NBA team finished this year’s reg.-season with the most 3-pointers made?
4. Name the last Cy Young Award winner to also be on a World Series-winning team in the same year (‘01)? 5. Who was the last player before New Orleans’ Anthony Davis in 2016 to start a season with backto-back games of 40 or more points? 6. Chevrolet drivers have won seven consecutive poles at NASCAR’s Daytona 500. Who was the first of the seven to do it?
40+ Years Combined Experience
701-757-3075 • 1600 47th Ave. S. - Suite C • Grand Forks
EAST GRAND FORKS
SUMMER SOLSTICE (cont.):
• Sally Ride wasn’t the first woman in space. That honor belongs to Russian cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova, who rocketed into space aboard Vostok 6, almost 20 years to the day before Ride, on June 16, 1963. Prior to her career in space travel, Tereshkova was a textile factory worker and amateur skydiver.
• POST 157 •
Book Our BALLROOM:
• Weddings • Graduation • Parties • Meetings • & More
• The French ship Isere cruised into New York Harbor on June 17, 1885, bearing the 350 individual pieces of the Statue of Liberty, a gift of friendship from the people of France. Once reassembled, the 450,000-lb. statue was taller than any NYC structure at the time. It was officially dedicated in October of 1886.
Thursdays: 7:00 pm TA B S Sundays: 1:30 pm 1009 CENTRAL AVE. • EAST GRAND FORKS • 218-773-1129
• The College of Philadelphia (today’s University of Pennsylvania) granted America’s first medical diploma on June 21, 1768. Dr. John Archer graduated from the Department of Medicine, but strangely enough, began practicing law the following year rather than pursuing a medical career. He was instrumental in organizing troops for the Revolutionary War, became a major in the Continental Army, and was elected to the U.S. Congress three times from the state of Maryland. • June 21, 1939 was a sad day in baseball history when the New York Yankees announced the retirement of their first baseman Lou Gehrig. Gehrig’s performance on the field had been declining for several weeks that Spring, and after undergoing six days of intensive testing at the Mayo Clinic, Gehrig was informed he had an incurable disease called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis that would lead to paralysis, and eventually death. Gehrig played his final game on April 30, the 2,130th consecutive game of his career. He died at age 37 on June 2, 1941, the anniversary of the beginning of his consecutive game streak.
*Answer located further back in this issue.
Are You Interested In Heart Health? Would you like to eat more fish?
We are looking for men and women to participate in a research study. The purpose of this study is to determine whether eating rainbow trout with different omega 3 levels reduces heart disease risk markers. Those who complete the study will receive up to $500 in compensation
Criteria for Participation:
20-70 years old • Overweight
GRAND FORKS HUMAN NUTRITION RESEARCH CENTER
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
The Neatest Little Paper Ever Read® Contact me to schedule your ad in Tidbits! 001538484r1
Sign up today for this ongoing study on-line at: http://ars.usda.gov/pa/gfhnrc Call 701-795-8396 or 1-800-562-4032 for more information
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
In-Home Care Services
She’s Always Been The Independent Type. We Aim To Keep Her That Way. We help to keep her independent spirit strong. Comfort Keepers® provides compassionate in-home care that helps seniors live safe, happy, and independent lives in the comfort of their own homes. We call our approach Interactive Caregiving™, a unique system of care, which keeps our clients mentally and physically engaged while focusing on their safety assurance and nutrition needs.
SERVICES Companion Care Light Housekeeping Personal Care In-Home Safety Solutions
Call For A Free In-Home Assessment
(701) 738-0006 2100 S Columbia RD #116 Grand Forks, ND 58201 ©2018 CK Franchising, Inc. An international network, where most offices independently owned and operated.
Short-Term Care & Rehabilitation • Recuperate • Get Strong • Get Back to Everyday Life We offer specialized services in:
Physical, Occuaptional and Speech Therapy, along with Skilled Nursing Services To learn more about rehabilitation and other services we offer please contact us.
(218) 281-3424 • 516 Walsh Street. • Crookston, MN
d Cities Gam n ra G 120 N. Wash. St. Grand Forks
BUY 2 BOARD GAMES GET 1 FREE
Free Board Game must be equal or lesser value of 2 purchased. Exp. 6-29-19
• Comics • Trading Cards • Warhammer • Board Games • RPGs • Dice • Gaming Rooms © 2019 King Features Syndicate. All rights reserved.
.COM Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
Rear Mount Trailer Hitches for Cars and Trucks
Unique hitch models to provide a custom fit for nearly every vehicle on the road today.
Low-Profile Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
Turnoverball™ Gooseneck Hitch
Other Hitch Styles Available
Protect Your Boats & Campers!
6105 Gateway Drive • Grand Forks, ND 701-746-0083 • 800-279-7492 • Hours: M-F 9-6 and Sat. 9-3
All-Weather Floor Mats
Customized to fit your specific vehicle. Deeply sculpted channels designed to trap water, road salt, mud and sand. These mats are engineered to prevent curling & cracking in sub-zero weather.
0% FINANCING Up to 18 Months
See Store for Details
KING C R O S S W O R D
Test drive more. Test your nerves less. Contact your local agent
• Medicare Contact your local agent for for more information: Coverage moreinformation: information: t for more • Group <Agent Name> A Medical INSURANCE AGENCY <Agency Name> Life Ins. • <Address> Rick Asche • 701-772-1138 H2409, H2410, H2450_2058 (01-2009) <City, ST ZIP> <Phone> 1521 24th Ave. S. • Grand Forks, ND <Hours of Operation> > “Since 1988”
One of the most competitive auto loan rates.
No payment for up to 90 days.
Rate match guarantee or we’ll give you $100.*
Life • Medicare • Group Plans • Health • Long Term Care
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
S U D O K U
by Linda Thistle
009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
Place a number in the empty boxes in such a way that each row across, each column down and each small 9-box square contains all of the numbers from one to nine.
Get pre-approved at our Grand Forks Branch or online at servicecu.org.*
servicecu.org • 800.936.7730
DIFFICULTY THIS WEEK: H Moderate
Challenging HOO BOY!
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
*Offer available on purchases and refinances of new and used cars or motorcycles. Refis of existing Service Credit Union (SCU) loans are ineligible unless at least $1,000 new cash out. Rate matching applies to competitors’ auto loans that have terms and conditions consistent with SCU’s 12-75 month loan rates; $100 offer is only available on terms of 60-75 months. If SCU cannot beat competitors’ APR on a 60-75 month loan, we will credit $100 to a qualifying member’s SCU account up to 30 days after original loan application with SCU. A qualifying member is a new or existing member who applies for and is approved for an SCU loan. Proof of applicant’s eligibility for the competitor’s rate must be provided; quoting advertised rates are not sufficient. Approval and rate match eligibility is subject to applicant’s creditworthiness. If total reportable income from SCU equals $600 or more in a taxable year, the credit union will issue you a 1099-MISC. Private, non-commercial loan rates and terms are excluded from this promotion. Offer subject to change without notice. Individual must be a member of Service Credit Union or eligible for membership.
• In order to “make a difference,” Burchard urges practicing generosity, not just with money, but also with time, attention, love, patience, forgiveness, and energy. • Burchard has built his life around some simple advice he received from his father: “Be yourself. Be honest. Do your best. Take care of your family. Treat people with respect. Be a good citizen. Follow your dreams.” He advocates, “Be an example of the kind of conduct you wish to see in the world. Do not expect love, excellence or generosity if you do not radiate such things.” • The near-death experience moved him to write his first book Life’s Golden Ticket. During his 20s, he studied psychology and leadership while working at a consulting firm. His second book, The Millionaire Messenger, shot up the “New York Times Best Seller List,” enabling Burchard to strike out on his own as a performance coach and motivational speaker.
• Burchard has identified three specific kinds of fear and pain experienced by most people – loss, hardship/disaster, and disappointment. Many resist trying new things because of fear of losing status, power, or relationships. Others fear the pain of disappointment when things don’t succeed as desired, while some fear the struggles and doubts that come from trying to change. His mantra is to ask oneself, “What if instead of fearing disappointment, I can imagine a positive future?” or “What if instead of hardship, I can honor or enjoy the learning process?” • Burchard recommends setting boundaries by saying “no” to false obligations. Eliminating ineffective habits and negativity and replacing them with positive new rituals and high performance habits will help people focus on their mission. • He credits much of his insight to the thousands of comments, stories, and feedback from his students, which has equipped him to understand the struggles and habits that helped them develop. • “Be aware of the information that’s entering your mind. Seek empowering information that moves your life forward.” -- Brendon Burchard
• If Montana-born Burchard hadn’t had a life-changing event at age 19, he might not have become the inspiration that he has become to millions. After surviving a near-fatal car accident, Burchard identified what he felt were life’s three vital questions, which have served as the inspiration for his teachings: “Did I live fully? Did I love openly? Did I make a difference?” He has made it his life’s purpose to help others live, love, and matter.
“No matter how small you start, start something that matters.” That’s wisdom from Brendon Burchard, the motivational speaker who is Tidbits’ focus this week.
• The online course he developed has been completed by more than 1.5 million students in 192 countries. Burchard has the #1 self-help series, “The Charged Life,” on YouTube. It’s his desire that everyone reach their full potential, and has made it his objective to help people set high performance goals. The first step is to define the mission, and define what stands in the way of achieving it. A person should set three small life-changing goals for each day, starting the day with an attitude of anticipation. Study up on individuals who have mastered the same mission and pay attention to successful people.
• On June 21, 1788, New Hampshire becomes the ninth and last necessary state to ratify the Constitution of the United States, thereby making the document the law of the land. Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, and Connecticut were the first to sign. • On June 22, 1937, in Chicago's Comiskey Park, Joe Louis wins the world heavyweight boxing title when he knocks out Jim Braddock in the eighth-round. Louis was the first black heavyweight champ since Jack Johnson, who lost the title in 1915. • On June 20, 1947, Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel, who brought organized crime to the West Coast, is killed in a hail of gunfire at his home in Beverly Hills, California. Siegel got his start in Brooklyn, where he terrorized peddlers and collected protection money in the 1930s. • On June 23, 1959, after nine years in prison, Klaus Fuchs, the German-born Los Alamos scientist whose espionage helped the USSR build its first atomic and hydrogen bombs, is released from a British prison. • On June 18, 1966, Gen. William Westmoreland, senior U.S. military commander in Vietnam, requests an additional 111,588 troops for the war in 1967, bringing the total to 542,588. • On June 19, 1972, the U.S. Supreme Court rules against Curt Flood in Flood v. Kuhn, denying him free agency as a baseball player. He was trying to break the reserve clause that tied players to one team. Three years later an arbitrator ruled in favor of free agency, but it was too late for Flood, who never played baseball again. • On June 17, 1994, "O.J." Simpson, a former football player suspected of a double murder, flees along I-405 in Los Angeles in a white Ford Bronco with police in pursuit. News helicopters followed from above, and millions watched on television. Simpson was arrested at home an hour later. © 2019 Hearst Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Repellents: Still One of the Best Ways to Prevent Mosquito Bites Unfortunately, there’s no easy solution to controlling mosquitoes. The more rain and standing water we have, the more mosquito habitat available for those pesky critters. Eliminating mosquito breeding sites is essential to keeping the mosquito population in check. When the adult mosquito population seems unbearable, turn to one of the best prevention methods available…a can of OFF! Mosquito repellents with DEET are safe and very effective when applied according to the label. They’ve even improved many of these products so they go on dry, not oily. Don’t let these pesky critters win the outdoor battle this summer. Eliminate any standing water on your property and apply repellents with DEET when outdoors.
PROTECTION TIMES FOR TESTED MOSQUITO REPELLENTS PRODUCT Active Ingredient Avg. Protection Time OFF! Deep Woods Sawyer Controlled Release OFF! Skintastic Repel Lemon Eucalyptus
23.8% DEET 20% DEET 6.65% DEET
Bite Blocker for Kids OFF! Skintastic for Kids Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard+ Natrapel Green Ban for People
2% Soybean Oil 4.75% DEET 7.5% IR3535 10% Citronella 10% Citronella, 2% peppermint oil 5% Citronella 0.1% Citronella 9.5% DEET 9.5% DEET 25% Citronella
Buzz Away Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Gone Original Wristband Repello Wristband Gone+ Repelling Wristband
Oil of eucalytus; p-menthane 3, 8-diol (PMD)
5 hours 4 hours 2 hours 2 hours 1.5 hours 1.5 hours 23 minutes 20 minutes 14 minutes 14 minutes 10 minutes 0 0 0
For information about mosquito control visit our website at www.gfmosquito.com
King Features Weekly Service ©2019 King Features Syndicate, Inc. All rights reserved.
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
(Answers located further back)
June 3, 2019
• “When you have a delicate lampshade, or one that has a textured fabric, it can be hard to get the dust off. One method that I’ve used is a lint roller. This works well for flat but textured, when a dusting rag would make it stick worse. If you have pleats, sometimes the best way is to remove it and take it outside, then use canned, compressed air to blow the dust off.” — Y.L. in Arizona • To de-fat a broth, simply put it in the freezer. As the broth cools, the separated fat condenses at the top. You can peel it right off or scoop it away with a spoon. • Coffeepot got a layer of grime? For a little extra scrub power, use a tablespoon of baking soda mixed with a few drops of dish soap. It’s a minor abrasive, and it deodorizes, too. Rinse clean and repeat if necessary. • “Here’s a great summer activity: Save toilet paper rolls and paper towel cores, plus any small boxes. Add small hook and loop squares on the corners and sides. Then, kids can use them as free-form building blocks. It’s fun to see what kinds of things they create. Save larger boxes to create a backyard castle using duct tape or packing tape to join boxes.” — V.E. in Pennsylvania • “I dropped an earring down the disposal in the kitchen. It was hard to see and even harder to get at. I was at the point of despair. My lovely husband tied a string around a magnet and was able to pull it out.” — W.E. in South Carolina • Deskinning chicken pieces is easier if you use a paper towel to grab onto the skin. Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks by Samantha Weaver
• It was noted 20th-century American playwright Arthur Miller who made the following sage observation: "Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets." • When creating its cocoon, the silkworm spins a continuous thread more than a thousand yards long, or 12,000 times the length of its own body. To accomplish a comparable feat, a 6-foot-tall man would have to spin a thread that stretched unbroken for 15 miles. • You may be surprised to learn that the onion is actually a lily, botanically speaking. • In 2016, Michigan State University received a delivery of inedible mayonnaise -- the mayo had been frozen and thawed during transit, spoiling all 10,000 pounds of the condiment. Instead of just throwing it out, MSU decided to put the bad mayo to good use. The campus already had an anaerobic digester -- a device that decomposes organic waste and converts it to methane -- so they poured in all 500 2.5-gallon tubs. • Guinness, that notoriously dark and bitter brew, contains fewer calories that skim milk or orange juice. Stout for breakfast, anyone? • If someone were to ask you to name the sunniest spot on Earth, you might be tempted to answer "the Sahara Desert" or some other such exotic place. You would be wrong, though; that distinction belongs to a town right here in America. Out of the possible 4,456 daylight hours each year, the sun shines for an average of 4,050 in Yuma, Arizona. That means that there's cloud cover or rain for only about 10 percent of the time there. *** Thought for the Day: "Whatever a man prays for, he prays for a miracle. Every prayer reduces itself to this: Great God, grant that twice two be not four." -- Ivan Turgenev
© 2019 King Features Synd., Inc.
THE AREA’S BEST ADVERTISING VALUE 1. It’s a FREE publication for the public. 2. Every issue of Tidbits is available for a full 3.
week; so your ad gets seen for 7 days! Tidbits is a smaller publication which gives your ad a great chance of being noticed. Plus, every page is designed to contain extra content such as trivia and puzzles to entertain readers on each page longer. People love Tidbits because it’s filled with content that is upbeat and fun....not with “gloom and doom” news of the day. Tidbits appeals to just about everyone!
8,000 Copies of Tidbits are published every Thursday and distributed to over 120 locations in Grand Forks, GFAFB, East Grand Forks & Crookston.
Here is pricing for a few of our more popular ad sizes: Full Color
Ad Size (inches)
2x2 2x3 Front 2x3 Inside 4x2 4x3 4x4 1/4 Page (4x5) 1/2 Page Full Page
1-12 weeks $40.00 $60.00 $50.00 $60.00 $80.00 $88.00 $95.00 $165.00 $265.00
13+ weeks $31.00 $51.00 $41.00 $51.00 $66.00 $75.00 $82.00 $137.00 $223.00
*All prices listed are per week.
An area favorite for over 20 YEARS!
For more information:
Call 701.740.0968 or go to www.TidbitsGF.com
June 20 marks the anniversary of the release of the movie Jaws, which debuted in 1975 on 464 screens across the continent. Follow along as Tidbits reviews the history of this blockbuster about a giant man-eating shark. • Website Design • Digital Marketing • Google Search Ads • Social Media Marketing • YouTube Advertising • Video Production • SmartSearch Directory
Chris Littlejohn Media Account Manager
• Three full-size sharks, each costing about $250,000, were created for the movie. The pneumatically-powered mechanical great whites were nicknamed Bruce after director Steven Spielberg’s lawyer Bruce Ramer.
• Fireplaces & Stoves • Gas, Wood, Electric, Pellet & Corn • Inserts • Mantels • Glass Doors • Fireplace Accessories FREE ESTIMATES!
Sales & Installation
4224 Gateway Dr. • Grand Forks
Grand Forks SCORE HAS MOVED TO THE CENTER FOR INNOVATION Free Consulting • Confidential • Business Plans
NEW LOCATION: 4200 James Ray Drive•Grand Forks (Off corner of 42nd St. & University Ave.) Park in visitor parking in front of center. Enter through front door. Office #202
Call: 746-5851 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Solution on Next Page
• The movie’s fictional Amity Island was actually filmed on Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, beginning in May, 1974. Several of the local folks were hired as extras on the movie and were paid $64 to run across the beach screaming.
• Jaws was the first major film to be shot on the ocean, which created all kinds of trouble, causing the film to drastically exceed its budget and miss its scheduled completion by 104 days. The film’s budget was set at $4 million, but the final bottom line ballooned to $9 million. Problems with the mechanical sharks contributed to a huge increase in the special effects budget. The very first day the model shark was put in the water, it sank to the bottom of the ocean. Malfunctions continued with the pneumatic hoses filling up with salt water, and corrosion of the props’ skin. • Spielberg, just 28 years old, wanted moviegoers to feel as if they were treading water, and so filmed about 25% of the movie at water level. This presented the problem of unwanted watercraft drifting into view, as well as making actors seasick much of the time. ...continued
DIFFERENCES: 1. Man is wearing sunglasses. 2. Window is missing. 3. Bushes added along fence. 4. More smoke coming from mower. 5. #2 missing from golf club. 6. More bricks have been added to foundation. © 2019 King Features Synd., All rights reserved.
Professional Home Inspection Service CERTIFIED INSPECTOR
• Although the movie opened in just 464 screens, after opening with a $7 million weekend, it was expanded within to 700 theaters by July 25, Answer: Dell. and an additional 250 by NUMBER August 15. ProducA VERY LARGE tion costs were recovered within just two weeks • Edward Kasner was a mathematician. In 1938 after opening. After grossing $450 million he was asked to come up with a name for a worldwide, Jaws gained the status of followed “highestvery large number: the numeral one, grossing film of all time,” but only held on to by a hundred zeros. He asked his two young the honor for two years until Starsuggest. Wars was renephews what name they would leased in 1977. • Nine-year-old Milton suggested a name out film of the funnies.viewers A cartoon strip character • The frightened to the point of gennamedfear Barney was very Milton chose erating of going into popular. the ocean. A dramatic Barney’s last name for the number. reduction in beach attendance was ascribed to •the Kasner announced the shark new name for the big movie, and reported sightings surged. number in his next book, altering the spelling. For all the terror the shark created, the beast ac•tually Sixtyhad years Page andofSergey justlater, fourLarry total minutes screen Brin time. developed a new internet search engine. Other • The ominous theme song, signaling the shark’s search engines searched each webpage and approach, wasaccording a simple to alternating ranked them how manypattern times of a two notes, “E” and “F”, and was performed by specific term appeared on them, but Page and tuba Tommy Johnson. The American Brin player designed their search engine to search for Film Instituteterm has and ranked Johnmany Wilthe specific thencomposer find out how links soundtrack there were as that#6led page, liams’ on back their to listthat of the 25 which resulted in a better engine. Greatest Film Scores. Thesearch Institute ranks Jaws #48 on its list of the Top 100 Movies. •asThey decided they needed a name that reflected how many websites the search • Nominated for four Academy Awards, Jaws engine was searching. They took the name took home three of them. nominated of Edward Kasner’s veryAlthough large number, only for Best Picture, it was edged out by Flew they misspelled it slightly, so it endedOne up being Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. spelled exactly the same way the cartoon character Barney spelled • Three Jaws sequels fol-his last name. What’s it called? (Answer at bottom lowed the original block- of page) buster, butCOMPUTER none cameFACTS closeBill to Gates its success. •even In 1981 said, “640 kb of memory anybody.” Inought fact,to be theenough total for gross by all three •generated Moore’s Law states thatsecomputer performance quels combined amounted doubles every 18 to 24 months, and ever since this has been true. to1971, just half of the original movie’s millions. • HP, Google, Microsoft, and Apple were all startedreleased in garages. • When for home viewers, Jaws was the Answer: Google,marketed from googol. first LaserDisc in North America.
PEACE OF MIND Security System
1st Quarter 2015 Week 2 Jan 4 - Jan. 10 Page 8
Residential & Commercial • Locally Owned
701-772-6691 • 1550 47th Ave. S., GF www.stonessecuritysystems.com
7. “Feels Like 1. Garfield 2. Pearl the First 3. Father’s Day Time” by 4. Canberra Foreigner in 5. “Light My 1977. Fire” in 1967. 8. Tokyo 6. Danny Bonaduce
24HR EMERGENCY SERVICE
• Residential • Commercial • Industrial
• Mobile Home Parks
(701) 746-8947 1-800-438-7686 • www.rotorooter.com
Sports Answers 1. Dallas’ Jamie 4. Randy Johnson (Arizona) Benn (G, 5A) 5. Michael Jor2. 27 3. Houston Rock- dan (1986) ets with 1,323 6. Danica Patrick (2013) (= 3,969 pts). CENTRAL AVENUE
2105 Central Ave. NW East Grand Forks, MN
EVERY WEEK - THURS • FRI • SAT 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM SPACES AVAILABLE
Please Recycle this copy of Tidbits. Share it with a Friend.
2700 South Washington St. Grand Forks, ND
Accessories Dept.: AJ Preston 701-757-5969 or Shayla Salvione 701-757-6061
• Rims & Tires • WeatherTech • Window Tinting • Bed Rails • Auto Starts • Truck Bedliners • Running Boards / Nerf Bars • Tonneau Covers • Level & Lift Kits • Hitches • Grille Guards • DVD Headrests • & More!
WHEELS! Reduce Glare, Heat, and Block Harmful UV Rays from damaging your vehicle.
and Many More!
$50 OFF Limited Time Only! *Most Makes & Models
• Truckbed Protection from Scratches, Dents & Rust • Non-Slip Coating • Permanent Bond
Get Ready to Haul Your Boats & Campers!
We Install Hitches & Wiring on All Makes & Models
"Summer Solstice" and "Jaws"