N e at e s t
Little Paper Ever Read®
LES • PUZZ A I V I R S •T FACT • FUN September 20, 2018
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks Published by: Wick Publications
Big savings Big savings for safe for safe drivers. We Weprotect protectit.it. drivers. You live it. You live it.
Get a discount up to 50%. here to help life Get a discount up 50%. I’mI’m here to help life gotoright – I can help lower your premium ™ ™right I’m here help go – go right - so you you cantolower enjoy while I .can through Drive Safe &it,life Save Iso can help your premium so you can enjoy it, while ™I ® talk help protect it. Let’s about enjoy it, while I help DriveState Safe &. Save . Getthrough to a better FGetGet help protect Let’s your life insurance options. ®talk about Bus: 701-746-0495 . to aFarm. better State State protect it.it.Let’s talk CALL TODAY. options. your ME life insurance email@example.com Grand Forks, ND 58201 CALL Getabout State Farm. ME TODAY. your life insurCALL ME TODAY. 701-746-0495 CALL ME options. TODAY. ance sharonopdahl.com CALL ME TODAY.
Sharon Opdahl, Agent 2534 17th Avenue South,Agent Suite F Sharon Opdahl, Sharon Opdahl Grand Forks, ND 58201 Sharon Opdahl, Agent 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite F Bus: 2534701-746-0495 17th Avenue Suite F Agent Grand Forks, ND South, 58201 Sharon Opdahl, Agent firstname.lastname@example.org Grand Forks, 58201 2534 17th AvenueND South, Suite F Bus: 701-746-0495 Bus:Forks, 701-746-0495 Grand ND 58201 email@example.com 2534 17th Ave. S. • Suite firstname.lastname@example.org
Issue # 1,086
TIDBITS REMEMBERS SOME ®
FICTIONAL DOGS by Kathy Wolfe
Literature, movies, television…all have been sources for these imaginary canines. Follow along as Tidbits lets these dogs out! Woof!
• “Toto, I have a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore,” said Dorothy to her Cairn Terrier co-star in 1939’s “The Wizard of Oz.” Toto was really a female named Terry, who had had her first major film role opposite Shirley Temple in “Bright Eyes,” five years earlier. Terry had been brought to the Hollywood Dog State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company Training School in 1932, but the owner nev1301900 State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company 1301900 State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL er returned for her. The school’s owner, Carl Spitz, became her owner/trainer for the movies. Terry was paid $125 a week, more than the Munchkins, whose salaries ranged from Carpet Cleaning $50 to $100. During filming of “Oz,” one of www.elitecarpetsgf.com the Winkie guards accidentally stepped on the Carpet Cleaning • Carpet dog’s foot, breaking it. Terry was sent to reCleaning SPECIAL! cuperate at actress Judy Garland’s home, and Upholstery $129 •Cleaning Garland developed such an attachment to her, 3 Rooms & when filming was complete, she asked owner Hallway • Water Not valid with any other offer. Spitz if she could adopt the dog, but was reExtraction Expires 10-19-18 fused. Terry was afraid of the wind machines Residential & Commercial used to simulate the film’s tornado, as well as fearful of the steam that came out of the Tin Man’s hat. Terry appeared in 16 movies, but 701-775-8500 was only credited in “Oz.” Three years after “Oz,” her name was officially changed to Toto. Turn the page for more! ™
State Farm Life Insurance Company (Not licensed in MA, NY or WI) State Farm Life and Accident Assurance Company (Licensed in NY and WI) 1601487 State Farm Life InsuranceBloomington, IL licensed in MA, NY or WI) Company (Not State Farm Life and Accident Assurance Company (Licensed in NY and WI) 1601487 Bloomington, IL
Licensed & Insured
Keep Your Home Safe!
RADON Testing * * Travel fees may apply outside of Grand Forks area
ORGANIC SALON SPA
Hair Loss Hospital • REPAIR • REFRESH • RECLAIM Call to learn about Hair Loss Therapy!
701-739-2403 2600 DeMers Ave. Grand Forks, ND
WANT TO PUBLISH A TIDBITS IN YOUR AREA? ®
We provide the opportunity for success!
Call 1.800.523.3096 www.tidbitsweekly.com
DENTISTRY P.C. Pediatric Dentist:
Signing up for Regular Service ($20 Off first five weekly or bi-weekly cleanings) Expires 10-12-18. New or former customers only. Can’t be combined with any other offer or discount. Additional restrictions may apply.
A dentist with 2 years of additional training beyond dental school to specialize in dental care for infants, children & adolescents. Your child will love coming to see us!
Chad Hoge, DDS, MS
$ 100 OFF
Mikala Hoge, DDS
Village Park Rentals Emerado, ND
2 & 3 Bedroom Manufactured Homes Pet friendly Water, sewer, garbage included $50/Month On site 24hr maintenance staff Rent Six month lease Incentive Each home has own yard space Minutes to the GFAFB and Grand Forks
FICTIONAL DOGS (continued):
SA L E !
$ 70 O F F UP TO
60+ Years Experience
Remote Start Systems
Starting at $319.99 Installed
SoundDecisionND.com • 701-738-0713 • 1923 DeMers Ave., Grand Forks
Quiz Bits 1. 2. 3. 4.
5. Name the canine inventor and scientist who starred in “The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show.” What was the name of the 6. What dog is the Beethovenbulldog in Jonny Quest? loving piano player on “The What blue-haired hounddog Muppet Show”? liked to sing “Oh, My Darling 7. On “Looney Tunes,” what Clementine”? were the names of the wolf What was the name of the Engand sheepdog that punched lish Bulldog on “Everybody the timeclock at the start and Loves Raymond”? end of each day? Name the cartoon beagle that TRIVIA masqueraded as Shoeshine Boy. SPONSORED BY:
ENJOY THE GIFT OF HEARING
746.7000 GRAND FORKS
d Cities Gam n ra G 120 N. Wash. St. Grand Forks
BUY 2 BOARD GAMES GET 1 FREE
Free Board Game must be equal or lesser value of 2 purchased. Exp. 10-19-18
• Comics • Trading Cards • Warhammer • Board Games • RPGs • Dice • Gaming Rooms
• Walt Disney Studios released “Lady and the Tramp” in 1955, the 15th animated Disney film. It’s the love story of Lady, a pampered Cocker Spaniel and a stray mongrel named Tramp. Lady lives with Jim Dear and Darling, while Tramp roams the streets, living on scraps from Tony’s Italian restaurant and dodging the dogcatcher. Early script versions had the mongrel’s name as Homer, then Rags, then Bozo. Tramp never calls Lady by her name during the film, always by her nicknames Pigeon and Kid. Disney got the idea for the film after reading a story by Ward Greene, “Happy Dan, the Whistling Dog,” in a 1943 issue of Cosmopolitan magazine. The American Film Institute ranks the movie #95 on their list of the “100 Greatest Love Stories of All Time.” • Beginning in 1954, families across America gathered in front of their television on Sunday evenings to watch “Lassie.” The legendary collie was first seen in the 1943 film “Lassie Come Home,” a film that featured the first of many dogs to follow. The original Lassie was really named Pal, a collie owned by trainer Rudd Weatherwax. Pal also appeared in the pilot of the TV series. Pal’s descendants succeeded him from then on, including Pal Jr., Spook, Baby, Mire, and Hey Hey. All of the Lassies were actually males, because females go through a substantial hormoneinduced shedding process on a regular basis. In addition, the producers thought a larger dog would be more impressive on film, with males outweighing females by about 15 lbs. The Emmy-winning TV series was the fourth longest-running primetime series, running for 17 years before going into syndication.
In-Home Care Services
She’s Always Been The Independent Type. We Aim To Keep Her That Way. We help to keep her independent spirit strong. Comfort Keepers® provides compassionate in-home care that helps seniors live safe, happy, and independent lives in the comfort of their own homes. We call our approach Interactive Caregiving™, a unique system of care, which keeps our clients mentally and physically engaged while focusing on their safety assurance and nutrition needs.
SERVICES Companion Care Light Housekeeping Personal Care In-Home Safety Solutions
Call For A Free In-Home Assessment
(701) 738-0006 2100 S Columbia RD #116 Grand Forks, ND 58201 ©2018 CK Franchising, Inc. An international network, where most offices independently owned and operated.
Attractions HAIR • NAILS • PERMANENT COSMETICS Full Service Salon for Women, Men & Kids
See Us At Our
Columbia Center Strip Mall (Near Bully Brew Coffee House)
2100 S. Columbia Road Grand Forks, ND
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Jodi 701-740-5897 Marie 701-330-6952 Coleen 218-779-4556
Maggie 218-779-8351 Marion 701-739-6386 Kayla 218-779-7080
© 2018 King Features Syndicate. All rights reserved.
Would You Like Tidbits in Your restaurant?
It’s FREE! Call Tidbits Today! 772-8239
REMOTE AUTO STARTS Deluxe Start, 2-Way Track, & Remote Control Start Your Car • Up to From 3,000 ft. Anywhere, range
Right from your Phone.
We carry Meyer plows for Residental and Commercial use, and a wide variety of Salt Spreaders.
All-Weather Floor Mats
Customized to fit your specific vehicle. Deeply sculpted channels designed to trap water, road salt, mud and sand. These mats are engineered to prevent curling & cracking in sub-zero weather.
6105 Gateway Drive • Grand Forks, ND 701-746-0083 • 800-279-7492 • Hours: M-F 9-6 and Sat. 9-3
0% FINANCING for 12-24 Months
www.newvisiontruckaccessories.com H Professional Installation on All Products we sell
LOCATIONS! 2 Columbia Center Strip Mall
• 100+ Top Quality Truffles & Chocolates! • Albanese - World’s Best Gummies! • Nostalgic/Retro/Imported Candies! • Ty Plush Beanie Boos - Best Prices!
(Near Bully Brew & Olive Barrel)
2100 S. Columbia Rd. Grand Forks, ND • 701-757-4008 Hours: M-F 10:30-6:30 • Sat. 10-5 AND
Pop-Up Store in Columbia Mall Several different Mini Boos + Paw Patrol Collection • Collect them all!
$3.99 each or 3 for $10
FICTIONAL DOGS (continued):
• Cartoonist Charles Schulz based his famous beagle Snoopy on his old family dog, Spike. The comic strip “Peanuts” debuted in seven newspapers in October of 1950, and by the time of Charles Schulz’ death in 2000, it was appearing in more than 2,600 papers. By 1960, the “Peanuts” gang was featured on Hallmark greeting cards and Ford Motor Company ads, and the first television special “A Charlie Brown Christmas” came along in 1965. Snoopy’s doghouse was a focal point in the strip, with the beagle seen sleeping on top, as well as engaging in midair dogfights with fighter ace The Red Baron. In 1966, the pop song “Snoopy vs. the Red Baron” was at the top of the charts, performed by a Florida group The Royal Guardsmen. On the night before the final “Peanuts” cartoon strip was published in February, 2000, Charles Schulz succumbed to colon cancer, having produced 18,000 strips in nearly 50 years. • Cartoonist Harold Gray debuted his comic strip “Little Orphan Annie” in August of 1924 in the New York Daily News. The 10-year-old orphan had unruly, curly red hair, wore a red dress, and frequently used the phrases “Gee whiskers” and “Leapin’ lizards!” Five months after Annie’s debut, a puppy rescued her from a gang of vicious boys. Unable to keep the dog, whom she had named Sandy, Annie gave him to a restaurant owner. But in a May, 1925 strip, Sandy rescued Annie once again, this time from gypsy kidnappers, and the dog became her own. In the comic strip, Sandy is of no particular breed, but in the 1982 movie, he was played by a six-year-old otterhound named Bingo. In the 2014 remake, a golden retriever-chow mix named Marti, who was adopted from a New York City shelter, was cast in the role. ...continued
(located in the middle of mall) 2800 S. Columbia Rd. • Grand Forks Open Fri.-Sat.-Sun only
September is Hunger Action Month The Lions Clubs of Grand Forks and the RSVP program are partnering with Great Plains Food Bank for a FOOD DRIVE. Drop off non-perishable food items, personal care items or fresh produce each Saturday at the Farmer’s Market and pick up an Orange Ribbon to raise awareness of local hunger. One thing you can do to prevent hunger: volunteer to be a Meals on Wheels driver at your local senior center. Thank you for your support 701-297-2577 | LynnellP@lssnd.org www.greatplainsfoodbank.org
EAST GRAND FORKS
AMERICAN LEGION • POST 157 •
Book Our BALLROOM:
• Weddings • Graduation • Parties • Meetings • & More
PULL Thursdays: 7:00 pm TA B S Sundays: 1:30 pm 1009 CENTRAL AVE. • EAST GRAND FORKS • 218-773-1129
Precious Metals Ex.
• 10 Waiting Room Chairs • Office • Swivel Chair • Push Mower • Coke Trays • Knives • Clowns • Tools • Commercial Lift Pump • Leather Vests, Chaps, Coats & Bags • Mugs • Brass • Belt Buckles • Paintings & Prints • African Drum • Facial Beds • Plus, Much More! EVERYTHING 50-90% OFF! $ We Buy Scrap Gold & Silver $
1809 13th Ave., N. • Grand Forks
24HR EMERGENCY SERVICE
• Residential • Commercial • Industrial
• Mobile Home Parks
(701) 746-8947 1-800-438-7686 • www.rotorooter.com
• On Sept. 30, 1889, the Wyoming state convention approves a constitution that includes granting women the right to vote. Admitted into the union the following year, Wyoming became the first state to allow its female citizens to vote. • On Sept. 29, 1907, Gene Autry, perhaps the greatest singing cowboy of all time, is born in Tioga, Texas. While Autry was no cowboy, he was, at least, a genuine Westerner who had lived on a ranch. Autry was one of America's most popular movie stars in the 1930s and '40s, appearing in almost 100 films.
FREE 43" TV
with a 12-month lease
Call to Schedule a Showing Today! 701.757.1521
• On Sept. 28, 1918, a Liberty Loan parade in Philadelphia prompts a huge outbreak of a flu epidemic that would leave an estimated 30 million people dead worldwide. The 1918 flu pandemic likely originated with a bird or farm animal in the American Midwest. • On Sept. 26, 1945, Lt. Col. Peter Dewey, a U.S. Army officer, is shot and killed in Saigon by the Viet Minh, who thought he was French. Dewey was the first of nearly 59,000 Americans killed in Vietnam. • On Sept. 25, 1965, the Kansas City Athletics start ageless wonder Satchel Paige in a game against the Boston Red Sox. The 59-year-old Paige, a Negro League legend, gave up only one hit in his three innings of play. • On Sept. 24, 1988, Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson runs the 100-meter dash in 9.79 seconds to win gold at the Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea. Three days later he tested positive for steroids and was stripped of the medal. • On Sept. 27, 1999, operatic tenor Placido Domingo makes his 18th opening-night appearance at the Metropolitan Opera House, breaking an "unbreakable" record previously held by the great Enrico Caruso, who died in 1921. © 2018 Hearst Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved
3 Bedroom Apartment Homes only $900/month
AMAZING LUNCH • Over 60 Menu Items • UND HOCKEY
FREE Fun-Bus Rides 21 & Up
to All UND Men’s Hockey Home Games
NEW Casino Machines BOOK YOUR PARTIES HERE!
701-757-1091 • 1210 S. Washington St. • Grand Forks, ND
REMOTE STARTS $50 OFF TODAY! OFFER ENDS 9-30-18
FOR STATE SENATE
Call or Stop By Today to Schedule Your Auto Start Installation! www.TriixCustoms.com
FOR STATE REPRESENTATIVE
FOR STATE REPRESENTATIVE
1600 47th Ave. S. - Suite C • Grand Forks • 701-757-3075 PAID FOR BY THE DISTRICT 43 DEMOCRATIC–NPL, DAN HINNENKAMP, TREASURER
3. Sei Young Kim set an LPGA tournament record in 2018 by shooting a 1. Baltimore’s Zach Britton 31-under 257. Who had set an American League she been tied with at the record in 2017 for number old record of 27-under of converted consecutive par for a tournament? save opportunites. How 4. In the franchise history of many was it? the Los Angeles Clippers, 2. Which two teammates on name the two players who the 1986 New York Mets’ surpassed 10,000 career World Series winner also points. were members on the New 5. What year did Steelers’ York Yankees team that Ben Roethlisberger firstwent on to win the 1996 World Series? become the starting QB?
PLEASE TELL OUR ADVERTISERS YOU SAW THEIR AD IN TIDBITS! • Fireplaces & Stoves • Gas, Wood, Electric, Pellet & Corn • Inserts • Mantels • Glass Doors • Fireplace Accessories
NAME BRANDS LIKE:
UP TO $350 OFF! FREE ESTIMATES!
on select FIREPLACES Offer Ends Sept. 29, 2018 • MUST SHOW COUPON •
Sales & Installation
40 Different Burning Displays at:
4224 Gateway Dr. • Grand Forks
9-Month Certificate Special
Looking for a longer term to save safely?
Open up a special 15-month certificate at 2.75% APY.* Both with a minimum of just $1,000.
Open yours at our Grand Forks Branch or online at servicecu.org/earnmore.
servicecu.org • 800.296.5938 federally insured by ncua
*Rates shown are Annual Percentage Yield (APY), accurate as of 8/16/18 and subject to change without notice. Rates shown are based on a minimum of $1,000 deposit and terms of 9 and 15 months. Penalty for early withdrawal.
Read about Scooby-Doo further back in this issue!
© 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
Relax and Earn
FICTIONAL DOGS (continued):
• Author Norman Bridwell published his first “Clifford the Big Red Dog” in 1963, the story of an eight-year-old girl and her 25-foot-high red dog. Bridwell wanted to name the dog Tiny, but his wife suggested the name Clifford after a childhood imaginary friend. The couple’s daughter Emily Elizabeth was the source of the book’s female character. There are 50 Clifford titles, with sales of more than 126 million books. • Elroy Jetson discovered the family’s dog in the fourth episode of the popular cartoon, “The Jetsons”, which debuted in 1962. Family patriarch George Jetson declared that “an apartment is no place for a dog,” and purchased an electronic dog named Electronimo. But when the e-dog failed to catch a burglar that Astro was able to detain, Astro was in and Electronimo was out! Astro was created by Iwao Takamoto, who also designed Scooby-Doo. In fact, the two characters were both voiced by Don Messick, and both used “R”s in their speech where they shouldn’t be, such as Astro’s “Ruh-roh, Reorge!” and Scooby’s “Ruhroh Raggy!” (Uh-oh, Shaggy!) • The 1957 Disney drama “Old Yeller” was based on the previous year’s Newbery Honor-winning book by Fred Gipson. The book, set in Texas during the 1860s, tells the story of a teenage boy left in charge of the family farm while his father is away working on a cattle drive. The boy comes across a stray yellow dog in the cornfield, and tries to shoo him away. When the dog steals meat from smokehouses and robs hens’ nests, the teenager continues his efforts to get rid of him. However, when the dog rescues the teen’s younger brother from a bear, Old Yeller earns a place in the family home. Old Yeller’s death from rabies is considered the saddest moment in all of the Disney’s films. The role of Old Yeller was played by a yellow Labrador Retriever named Spike, although Fred Gipson described the dog’s breed as a Black-Mouthed Cur in his novel.
*Answer located further back in this issue.
KING C R O S S W O R D
TARGET Gift Card with a 12-month lease
3 Bedroom Apartment Homes only $1,000/month
Call to Schedule a Showing Today! 701.757.0128
Contact your local agent
• Medicare Contact your local agent for for more information: Coverage more information: t for more information: • Group <Agent Name> A Medical INSURANCE AGENCY <Agency Name> • Life Ins. <Address> Rick Asche • 701-772-1138 H2409, H2410, H2450_2058 (01-2009) <City, ST ZIP> <Phone> 1521 24th Ave. S. • Grand Forks, ND <Hours of Operation> > “Since 1988”
Life • Medicare • Group Plans • Health • Long Term Care
©2009 Medica. Medica contracts with the federal government. ®
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
S U D O K U
009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
PARTICIPANTS PARTICIPANTS PARTICIPANTS needed for a research study needed a research study needed forfor a research study
by Linda Thistle
Place a number in the empty boxes in such a way that each row across, each column down and each small 9-box square contains all of the numbers from one to nine.
We are seeking join our research study. We are seekingmen menand and women join our research study. WeWeWe We are seeking men andwomen womentoto join our research study. would like toknow knowhow how fat affects energy metabolism and the would like toto energy metabolism and thethe would like know howfat fataffects affects energy metabolism and feeling fullnessafter after eating. feeling of feeling ofoffullness fullness aftereating. eating. Receive uptoto$530, $530, or membership at Choice Health and Receive atat Choice Health and Receiveup up to $530,orormembership membership Choice Health and Fitness (13-monthindividual individual or 9-month family) Fitness family) Fitness(13-month (13-month individualoror9-month 9-month family)
Criteriafor forParticipation: Participation: Criteria Criteria If you are afor manParticipation: or woman between the ages of 18-50, normal If you are a man or woman between the ages of 18-50, normal
DIFFICULTY THIS WEEK: HH Moderate
Challenging HOO BOY!
© 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
weight a non-smoker andthe free of major medical If you aretoaoverweight, man or woman between ages of 18-50, normal weight to aanon-smoker and free of of major medical problems, you may qualify for this study. In addition, women weight tooverweight, overweight, non-smoker and free major medical problems, you may qualifycontraceptives, for this study.and In addition, women must be using hormonal not pregnant or problems, you may qualify for this study. In addition, women must be using hormonal contraceptives, and not pregnant or breastfeeding must be using hormonal contraceptives, and not pregnant or breastfeeding breastfeeding
GRAND CENTER GRANDFORKS FORKSHUMAN HUMANNUTRITION NUTRITION RESEARCH RESEARCH CENTER Sign up for this ongoing study on-line on-line at at ars.usda.gov/pa/gfhnrc Sign up today fortoday this ongoing study ars.usda.gov/pa/gfhnrc GRAND FORKS HUMAN NUTRITION RESEARCH CENTER Call 701-795-8396 or 1-800-562-4032 or scan the QR Code with your smart-phone.
FORKS HUMAN NUTRITION RESEARCH CENTER Sign up today for this ongoingor study on-line at ars.usda.gov/pa/gfhnrc CallGRAND 701-795-8396 or 1-800-562-4032 scan the QR code with your smart-phone. Sign up today for is this ongoingorstudy on-line atemployer. ars.usda.gov/pa/gfhnrc Call 701-795-8396 or 1-800-562-4032 scanprovider the QRand Code with your smart-phone. * USDA an equal opportunity Call 701-795-8396 or 1-800-562-4032 or scan theemployer. QR Code with your smart-phone. * USDA is an equal opportunity provider and * USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
* USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
How do you like your eggs? Tidbits hopes what you’ll like is all these facts about the incredible, edible egg! • There are about 200 different breeds of chickens in the U.S., with approximately 280 million laying hens, each one producing an average of 250 to 300 eggs a year. Those seven billion eggs account for about 10% of the world’s supply. Most eggs are laid between the hours of 7 and 11 AM. The hen needs about 5 oz. of food and 10 oz. of water to create one egg.
• Why are some egg yolks a darker yellow than others? The color is dependent on what the hen eats. The eggs from hens that consume yellow corn or alfalfa will have a medium yellow yolk, while a lighter yolk results from a hen who feeds on wheat or barley. Some yolks are nearly colorless if the farmer feeds his hens white corn meal. If a hen has consumed dark yellow flower petals, the yolks will be darker. •
• An average-sized egg has a calorie count of about 75, and contains 7 grams of protein. The average person eats about 250 eggs a year
• The fancy name for an egg yolk is vitellus, and it contains all of the egg’s fat and cholesterol, and accounts for about one-third of the egg’s liquid weight. The egg white is also called the albumen, containing the other two-thirds of the egg’s liquid weight, and more than half of the egg’s protein. Although it’s called the egg white, it’s not really white until it’s beaten or cooked. • Why are some eggs white and some brown? It depends on what kind of chicken laid the egg. Rust-colored chickens lay brown eggs, and white eggs are laid by white chickens. There is no difference between the two as far as nutrition, flavor, or hygiene.
• A grayish ring around the yolk of a hardboiled egg means you probably cooked it too long. It might also mean there is a high iron content in the cooking water. Cooling them quickly in a bowl of ice water makes for easier peeling. They will also peel more easily if they are at least a week old before being boiled. Peeling them under cold running water is another tip. • Eggs might get a bad rap for their cholesterol content, but the experts at Mayo Clinic say that most healthy people can eat seven eggs a week without increasing the risk of heart disease. And since all the cholesterol is in the yolk, an egg white omelet is cholesterol-free. Other good news is the vitamin and mineral content of eggs, which supplies Vitamins A, D, E, and K, as well as minerals calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium, that are all essential for various body processes.
• An egg has about 17,000 tiny pores covering its surface, through which it can absorb flavors and odors. That’s why it’s important to keep them in a carton! That carton also helps keep eggs fresh for at least four to five weeks after their pack date.
• Eggs come in all sizes, but in order to be classified as Extra Large, a dozen eggs must weigh at least 27 oz. The weight for a dozen Large eggs must be 24 oz., and Medium, 21 oz. per dozen.
You might like two chicken eggs sunny side up for breakfast, but in other cultures, a meal might consist of pheasant, quail, goose, gull, or turkey eggs. If you’re really hungry, try an emu egg, which is equal to about 12 chicken eggs, or an ostrich egg, which amounts to 24 chicken eggs.
Food of the Week:
SCHOOL SHOPPING MADE EASY!
PRESIDENTIAL QUOTES: “I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” ~ Thomas Jefferson
All you have to do is choose the frame you like.
Columbia Mall Polycarbonate lenses Polycarbonate lenses Columbia Mall Non-glare coating Non-glare coating Grand Forks 100% UV 100% UVprotection Protection Grand Forks Anti-Scratch coating Anti-Scratch coating 701-757-4100 701-7574100 Year Warranty OneOne Year Mfg. Warranty *Some Restrictions May Apply. See Store for Details. Oﬀer Valid Through 2/28/18* Columbia Mall | Grand Forks | 701-757- 4100 w w w . M i dwww.MidwestVisionCenters.com westVisionCenters.com
Eye Exams Available *Answer located on previous page.
2600 DeMers Ave. Grand Forks, ND
Online Ordering & Daily Specials
Open: Fri-Sat 11am-2am • Sun-Thurs 11am-Midnight Expanded Grand Forks Delivery & Now East Grand Forks
TWO LARGE 1-TOPPING PIZZAS
LARGE BEEF TOSTADA PIZZA
Must mention coupon when ordering. Not valid with other offers. Expires 10-20-18
Must mention coupon when ordering. Not valid with other offers. Expires 10-20-18
King Features Weekly Service
Published Every Thursday!
©2018 King Features Syndicate, Inc. All rights reserved.
© 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
(Answers located further back)
September 10, 2018
• Don’t have a toothbrush holder? No need; just slip it into an empty water bottle, and you’ll have a secure holder, plus a water cup to swish with when you get to your destination. • “If you accidentally overfill the coffeemaker, use a baster to remove the extra water. It works, and you don’t have to try to tip over the maker.” — I.D. in New Mexico • Did you know that banana peels are an old-wives remedy for warts, facial acne and other pimples, psoriasis, light burns and even wrinkles? Simply scrape and apply, or for the case of warts, secure a small piece of peel over the wart overnight with a bandaid. Who knew they were useful as well as delicious? • Make your cut flowers last longer with these simple steps: First, trim the ends to open up the stems, then remove all leaves that will be below the water line. Finally, add 2 tablespoons each of sugar and vinegar to a quart of vase water. • “I finally broke down and traded in the shelves and shelves of my DVD collection for one of those CD binders. I took all the movies out of the plastic cases, and into the slots they went. I saved so much room, and it’s super-easy to flip through the pages to find movie you want to watch.” — C.A. in Ohio • Keep a file folder with your magazine stack so that you can tear out any great articles or useful information before you pass on the magazine or recycle it. It will help keep you out of the stack trap — where you save a whole magazine to go through later simply because you like one article. Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
THE AREA’S BEST ADVERTISING VALUE 1. It’s a FREE publication for the public. 2. Every issue of Tidbits is available for a full 3.
week; so your ad gets seen for 7 days! Tidbits is a smaller publication which gives your ad a great chance of being noticed. Plus, every page is designed to contain extra content such as trivia and puzzles to entertain readers on each page longer. People love Tidbits because it’s filled with content that is upbeat and fun....not with “gloom and doom” news of the day. Tidbits appeals to just about everyone!
8,000 Copies of Tidbits are published every Thursday and distributed to over 120 locations in Grand Forks, GFAFB, East Grand Forks & Crookston.
Here is pricing for a few of our more popular ad sizes: Full Color
Ad Size (inches)
2x2 2x3 Front 2x3 Inside 4x2 4x3 4x4 1/4 Page (4x5) 1/2 Page Full Page
1-12 weeks $40.00 $60.00 $50.00 $60.00 $80.00 $88.00 $95.00 $165.00 $265.00
13+ weeks $30.00 $51.00 $41.00 $51.00 $66.00 $75.00 $82.00 $135.00 $220.00
by Samantha Weaver
• It was Kurt Vonnegut, one of the most influential writers of the 20thÊcentury, who made the following sage observation: "There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope they are organized along the lines of the Mafia." • Greyhounds aren't just fast; they also have better vision than any other breed of dog. • The venerable diner saw its peak as a place for a casual meal in the late 1940s, when there were around 7,000 of them across the country. Today there are fewer than 2,000. • Thomas Jefferson was an inventor as well as a statesman, but he refused to take out patents on any of his ideas. He believed that inventions should benefit all of humanity, not just himself. • In January 2018, the City of New York paid 200 formerly homeless people $85 each to pretend to be homeless again for one night. At midnight that night, in order to get an estimate of the city's homeless population, volunteer canvassers took to the streets, approaching apparently homeless people to ask if they have somewhere to sleep. If a canvasser came across one of the paid "homeless" decoys, that decoy went home. The decoys were, essentially, a check to see how well the canvassers did their job -- and they did it pretty well, it seems, finding 90 percent of the decoys in the course of the night.
*All prices listed are per week.
• In Switzerland, it's considered bad luck to tell anyone your baby's name before it is born.
An area favorite for over 20 YEARS!
For more information:
Call 701.740.0968 or go to www.TidbitsGF.com
Thought for the Day: "People of small caliber like to sit on high horses." -- Magdalena Samozwaniec
© 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
and save on long engine life.
$ 1300 Super 15W-40 5 Gallon Pail #112491 (4814-0029)
1300 Super 15W-40 1 Gallon Jug #122492 (4814-0016)
MAIL-IN REBATE Limit 6
MAIL-IN REBATE Limit 10
ESP 5W-40 Ultimate Synthetic Oil 5 Gallon Pail
MAIL-IN REBATE Limit 6
ESP 5W-40 Ultimate Synthetic Oil 1 Gallon Jug
* AFTER $12
MAIL-IN REBATE Limit 10
*Mail-in rebate good through Dec. 31, 2018. Certain restrictions apply.
Hwy. 81 North • Grand Forks, ND • Hours: M-F 8-8 • Sat. 8-6 • Sun. 12-6
Grand Forks THINKING ABOUT STARTING YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Free Consulting • Confidential • Business Plans
www.grandforks.score.org SCORE Mentors (Grand Forks, ND) Call: 746-5851 or email: email@example.com
Solution on Next Page
Did you know that September 13 is Scooby-Doo Day? In conjunction with this observance, Tidbits brings you the details on this beloved fictional canine. • Scooby-Doo is the longest-running cartoon on television. Since its debut in 1969, the friendly Great Dane has been featured in 310 animated episodes. • The series was the brainstorm of CBS exec Fred Silverman, who made a few changes to the original concept. The show was initially to be called “Mysteries Five” with a bongo-playing dog named Too Much. “Mysteries Five” turned into “Who’s S-S-Scared?” but was renamed by Silverman. He also renamed the dog based on a line from Frank Sinatra’s hit song “Strangers in the Night” – “doo-be-doo-be-doo.” • Scooby’s character was created by Iwao Takamoto and voiced by Don Messick, the two people responsible for the Jetsons’ Astro dog, with both dogs having similar speech mannerisms, beginning all their words with “R.” Astro and Scooby weren’t the only characters voiced by Messick. Other familiar vocals include “Bamm-Bamm Rubble, Boo-Boo Bear from “The Yogi Bear Show,” Dick Dastardly’s sidekick Muttley, Jonny Quest’s father, and Papa Smurf. • Scooby was joined in solving mysteries by four teenagers, Fred, Daphne, Velma, and Shaggy. The group visited haunted houses, ghost towns, and the like, attempting to determine what supernatural creatures were frightening the townspeople. The group, dubbed Mystery, Inc., traveled in the Mystery Machine, Fred’s “Flower Power” van painted with psychedelic colors. • The witch or ghost or monster always turned out to be a villain using a spooky costume to cover his criminal acts. Nearly every episode concluded with the villain declaring that he would have gotten away with it “if it weren’t for those meddling kids!”
DIFFERENCES: 1. Clothesline is missing. 2. Handle is shorter. 3. Sweatshirt is shorter. 4. Can is missing. 5. Crossed arms are switched. 6. Rake is missing. © 2018 King Features Synd., All rights reserved.
Professional Home Inspection Service CERTIFIED INSPECTOR
• Scooby and beatnik Shaggy are the best of friends, sharing similar personalities. Both are cowardly and always hungry. Scooby is freAnswer: Dell. quently rewarded with Scooby Snacks, a boneVERY LARGEdog NUMBER shaped orAdog tag-shaped biscuit. Edward Kasner wasspawned a mathematician. • •The popular cartoon all kinds In of 1938 merhe was asked to come up with a name for a chandise, including a lunch boxes, coloring very large number: the numeral followed books, clothing, storybooks, actionone, figures, plus by a hundred zeros. He asked his two young toys, and a 1973 Milton Bradley board game. nephews what name they would suggest. The first of 21 video games came •along Nine-year-old Milton suggested a name in 1983, continually being out of funnies.Sega A cartoon added forthe Nintendo, Genesis,strip character named Barney was very popular. Milton chose PlayStation, Wii, and Xbox. EdiBarney’s last name for the number. bles included breakfast cereal and •real Kasner announced thetreats. new The name for the big Scooby Snacks dog number in his next book, altering Bayer Company introduced Scoo- the spelling. •by-Doo Sixty years later, Larry Page and Sergey Brin multivitamins in 2001. developed a new internet search engine. Other • Various of Scooby-Doo were introsearch relatives engines searched each webpage and duced over theaccording course oftothe series ranked them how manyincluding times a hisspecific cousinterm Dooby-Doo singer), appeared(aon them, another but Pagecousand inBrin Scooby-Dum, uncle Spooky-Doo, brothers designed their search engine to search for Skippy-Doo the specific and termHowdy-Doo, and then findand out his howmother many Yabba-Doo. nephew Scrappylinks there Scooby’s were thatyoung led back to that page, which in a better search engine. Doo wasresulted introduced as a regular to the series in 1979, a gutsy and fearless bundle of canine • They decided they needed a name that energy who met ghosts and monsters reflected how many websites the head-on search rather than cowering like They his timid With engine was searching. tookuncle. the name Edward Kasner’s very large number, only hisoftrademark yell of “Puppy power!” Scrappy they misspelled it slightly, so it ended up being became a popular addition to the series, so much exactly the and sameVelma way were the cartoon sospelled that Fred, Daphne, written character Barney his alast name. out of the series in spelled 1980, and new showWhat’s “The it called? (Answer at bottom of page) Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show,” featuring the COMPUTER two dogs along with friend FACTS Shaggy, took over. In 1981 Bill Scooby-Doo Gates said, “640 kb aired of memory • •The original show from ought to be enough for anybody.” 1969 until 1986, but has remained alive •through Moore’sspin-offs, Law statesincluding that computer performance “A Pup Named doubles every 18 to 24 months, and ever Scooby-Doo,” depicting the Great Dane since as a 1971, this has pup, which ran been fromtrue. 1988 to 1991. A live-acwas Microsoft, made in 2002, Freddie •tion HP,movie Google, and starring Apple were all startedJr. in as garages. Prinze, Fred and Sarah Michelle Gellar as Daphne. A newer Answer: Google, fromversion googol.of the cartoon can still be seen on The Cartoon Network.
Tammy Erickson @
Superior Styles Haircuts - $15
1st Quarter (Seniors 2015 - $12)
Week 2Perms & Colors Start at $35 Jan 4 - Jan.Home 10 Service
Available ($3 travel fee)
Call for Appointment
510 N. Wash. St. • Grand Forks
5. Mr. Peabody 1. Bandit 2. Huckleberry 6. Rowlf 7. Ralph Wolf Hound 3. Shamsky and Sam 4. Underdog Sheepdog
Over 200 Dolls
Precious Metals Ex. 1809 13th Ave., N. • Grand Forks
PEACE OF MIND Security System
Residential & Commercial • Locally Owned
701-772-6691 • 1550 47th Ave. S., GF www.stonessecuritysystems.com
Sports Answers 4. Randy Smith 1. 60 (12,735 points), 2. Dwight Blake Griffin Gooden (10,863 points). & Darryl Strawberry 5. It was 2004, his rookie year. 3. Annika Sorenstam
Please tell our Advertisers You Saw Their Ad in Tidbits!
2700 South Washington St. Grand Forks, ND
Accessories Dept.: Jason Kowalski 701-757-5912 or AJ Preston 701-757-5969
WE INSTALL: • Auto Starts • Truck Bedliners • Running Boards / Nerf Bars • Rims & Tires • WeatherTech • Window Tinting • Bed Rails • Tonneau Covers • Chrome Accessories • Hitches • Grille Guards • DVD Headrests • & More!
$50 OFF Limited Time Only! *Most Makes & Models
PRE-SEASON SPECIAL Edge 2x Reg. $569.00
INSTALLED* • 1-Mile Range • 2-Way Feedback • Inverted LCD Screen • Includes 2-Way & 1-Way remote
• Truckbed Protection from Scratches, Dents & Rust • Non-Slip Coating • Permanent Bond
Get Ready to Haul Your Boats & Campers!
We Install Hitches & Wiring on All Makes & Models
$100 OFF Limited Time Only!
Torch 2S Reg. $499.00
INSTALLED* • 3000 ft. Range • 2-Way Feedback • Includes 2-Way & 1-Way remote *Most Makes & Models
Edge 1x Reg. $439.00
INSTALLED* • 1-Mile Range • Includes Two 1-Way remotes
PROFESSIONAL INSTALL TEAM
"Fictional Dogs," "Eggs" and "Scooby Doo"