Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks Published by: Wick Publications
BigBig savings savings for for safesafe drivers. drivers.
Sharon Opdahl,Sharon AgentOpdahl, AgentGet a discount up to 50%. ™ Sharon Opdahl, Agent ™50%. Itpays pays to double check . 2534 17th Avenue South, Suite FSouth, a to discount up to ItGet double check . Sharon Opdahl 17th Avenue SuiteFF 25342534 17th Avenue South, Suite I can help lower your premium ™ Grand Forks, ND 58201 Sharon Opdahl, Agent Grand Forks, 58201 Agent can help lower your premium Grand Forks, NDNDSouth, 58201 ItILet’s pays to double .and take a timeout ™check Bus: 701-746-0495 2534 17th Avenue Suite F Bus: 701-746-0495 Let’s take a timeout and talk through Drive Safe & Save . ™ Bus: 701-746-0495 Grand Forks, ND 58201 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com through Drive Safe & Save . ®. talktake ® a Discount aabout Discount Check firstname.lastname@example.org Bus: 701-746-0495 . Double better State 2534 17th Ave. S. • Get SuitetoFa about Let’s a timeout and® talk
® . Get to save a better State email@example.com Double Check. It could could you big. Get StateItabout Farm. a Discount Double Check®. Grand Forks, ND 58201 Get State Farm. save you big. CALL ME TODAY. CONTACT ME TODAY. It could save you big. 701-746-0495 CALL ME TODAY. CONTACT ME TODAY. CONTACT ME TODAY. sharonopdahl.com
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, 1506562 State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company
State Farm Indemnity Company,Insurance Bloomington, IL State Farm Mutual Automobile Company Company, Bloomington, IL 1301900State Farm Indemnity State Farm Indemnity Company, Bloomington, IL
We Fix iPad SCREENS! We replace screens on: • iPads • iPods • iPhones • Smartphones • Tablets See store for details
N e at e s t
Little Paper Ever Read®
LES • PUZZ A I V I R S •T FACT • FUN May 17, 2018
1003 S. Washington St. Grand Forks, ND
Issue # 1,069
TIDBITS HAS THE FACTS ON ®
TV HOSTS by Kathy Wolfe
We’ve invited these people into our living room for decades. This week, Tidbits invites you to examine the details on these television hosts. • Dick Clark first gained real fame as the host of “American Bandstand” from 1957 to 1987, where many famous artists, including Prince, Jackson 5, Sonny and Cher, and Aerosmith, got their start. Clark’s first job in the broadcasting industry was at age 16 when he started as a mail clerk at a Rome, New York, radio station owned by his uncle. It didn’t take long for him to move into the relief weatherman slot. During college, Clark worked at a country music station, and after graduation, nabbed his first television host job, that of “Cactus Dick and the Santa Fe Riders,” a country music program. In later years, Clark hosted the game show “Pyramid,” and broadcast “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” live from Times Square from 1973 to 2004, when he suffered a stroke. • “Dancing with the Stars” host Tom Bergeron started out as a disc jockey at a Haverhill, Massachusetts, radio station. After appearing as a regular guest host on “Good Morning, America,” he became the host of “Hollywood Squares” in 1998, and was nominated for five Emmys. He moved on to “America’s Funniest Home Videos,” a position he held for 14 years. He’s been doing the dancing gig since 2005.
WANT TO PUBLISH A TIDBITS IN YOUR AREA? ®
We provide the opportunity for success!
Turn the page for more!
AIR CONDITIONER TUNE-UP When you need us,
ONLY One Hour® is here to help. At One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® We Offer the Following Services:
Cannot be combined with other coupons or offers. Does not apply to prior sales. *Travel charges may apply out of town. Expires May 31, 2018
• StraightForward Pricing • We Service of All Major • 24-Hour Emergency • Technicians are Drug Background Checked • Fully Equipped Big
Latest Technology for Detection, and Repair
• Air Purifying Systems Products • Repair and Maintenance
Call (701) 205-1157 or vis Forks, ND 701-775-5523 Grand www.onehourair.com When you need us, Ask about Military and Senior Discounts One Hour® is here to help.
At One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning® We Offer the Following Services: Always on Time or You Don’t Pay a Dime • StraightForward Pricing
OService RGANIC • We of All Major SALON SPA • 24-Hour Emergency
Hair Loss Hospital
• Technicians are Drug Background Checked
• Fully Equipped Big • REPAIR • REFRESH • Latest Technology for • RECLAIM Detection, and Repair • Air Purifying Systems Call to learn Products about • Repair and Maintenance Hair Loss Therapy!
2600 DeMers Ave. 205-1157 or v Call (701) Grand Forks, ND www.onehourair.com
Ask about Military and Senior Discoun Join the Steamatic Team as a Flood & Fire Restoration Technician!
Always on Time or You Don’t Pay a Dime License# OH0181
Enjoy 3-Day Weekends and a Sign-on Bonus!
A dentist with 2 years of additional training beyond dental school to specialize in dental care for infants, children & adolescents. Your child will love coming to see us!
Chad Hoge, DDS, MS
Start at $14-15/hr. DOE
With Great Benefits! APPLY TODAY! Mikala Hoge, DDS
www.steamaticrrv.com Or Call 701-746-1856
NEW LOCATION! Columbia Center Strip Mall
(Near Bully Brew & Olive Barrel)
2100 S. Columbia Rd. Grand Forks, ND 701-757-4008
Hours: 10-6 M-Sat
Columbia Center Strip Mall
24th Ave S.
• 100+ Top Quality Truffles & Chocolates! • Albanese - World’s Best Gummies! • Nostalgic/Retro/Imported Candies! • Super Sour Candy - Kids Favorites! • Ty Plush Beanie Boos - Best Prices!
S. Columbia Road
We never thought about living anywhere MOVE-IN SPECIAL else but Parkwood - it just feels like home. We really enjoy our neighbors, friends and staff - there is always someone to visit First with!Month’s We just like it Rent here a lot.
$500 OFF Limited Time Offer
- The Andersons, current Parkwood Contact Jo- for more residents info:
701.757.1519 edgewoodseniorliving.com edgewoodseniorliving.com 749 S. 30th St. • Grand Forks, ND
5. What is the capital of Australia? 6. What does a Geiger counter measure? 1. What was the first hour-long 7. Which planet is the closest to game show? Earth? 2. What new feature was added to 8. Who are the only two angels the Wheel of Fortune in 2008? to be directly named in the 3. What was Johnny Carson’s Bible? trakemark at the end of each 9. Which country claims to have monologue? the northern most city in Eu4. Name the original host of “The rope? Bonus: name it. Newlywed Game,” from 1966 TRIVIA to 1974. SPONSORED BY:
Eagles Club 350 227 10th St. NW • East Grand Forks 218-773-2445 • OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
EVERY DAY DOMESTIC BEER BUCKET $16.50
KITCHEN OPEN 5-8 PM
MEMBER APPRECIATION DAY!
BURGER or BRAT NIGHT $1.50
Until 5 PM
RESERVE OUR BANQUET ROOM FOR PARTIES & WEDDING RECEPTIONS
Every Sunday 7:00 PM HORSE RACES
Sundays 7:00 PM
WED • THURS • FRI • SUN
Gaming Attendants, Bartenders & Servers, Kitchen Help (PT) APPLY IN PERSON AT THE EAGLES
PULL TABS Every Day 00543-002
TV HOSTS (cont'd)
• Nearly everyone recognizes the face of Pat Sajak, “Wheel of Fortune” host since 1983. But Sajak has a long list of other accomplishments. Born Patrick Sajdak, he started as a radio newsman while still in college, along with working as a hotel desk clerk. At 22, he served in the Vietnam War as a disc jockey for the American Forces Vietnam Network. After a few gigs as a broadcaster and weatherman, Sajak took the helm at the “Wheel.” Sajak was a regular substitute host for “Larry King Live” and “Live with Regis and Kelly,” as well as hosting his own short-lived late-night talk show and a program on the Fox News Channel. He also had a stint on the daytime soap opera “Days of Our Lives.” Sajak keeps his radio roots close, hosting a syndicated radio sports talk show, as well as owning a radio station in Maryland. • Before there was Pat Sajak, there was Chuck Woolery, who was the first host of “Wheel of Fortune,” beginning in 1975. It wasn’t Woolery’s intention to host TV shows. After a stint in the U.S. Navy and a job as a salesman for Pillsbury, he headed to Nashville to form the rock band Avant Garde. After a Top 40 hit in 1968, the band recorded five records that went nowhere and became “one-hit wonders.” Merv Griffin chose Woolery to host his new game show “Wheel of Fortune,” where Woolery remained for the next six years. When the show’s ratings skyrocketed, Woolery demanded a salary increase from $65,000 a year to $500,000. His contract was not renewed and Sajak replaced him. After a two-year hiatus, Woolery began his 11 years of hosting “Love Connection,” while hosting “Scrabble” at the same time. Woolery claims that during the 2,000 episodes of “Love Connection,” 22,000 couples met, resulting in 29 marriages and 15 children. He moved on to “The Dating Game” in 1997 for three seasons, and “Lingo,” which aired from 2002 to 2007.
Exceptional career opportunities with the J.R. Simplot Company at our Grand Forks, ND location. If you have a “Spirit for Innovation” and a strong “Passion for People”, we encourage you to consider joining our team!
Maintenance Manager - Req ID 5322 • Accountable for the overall safety performance of the Maintenance Department. • Leads Maintenance Management Team to deliver site equipment reliability, including maintenance planning, mechanical, electrical, boiler and refrigeration departments.
Boiler Refrigeration Maintenance Supervisor - Req ID 5323 • Responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Steam, Refrigeration, anhydrous ammonia, H.V.A.C., compressed air, water and other factory systems. • Directs the steam/refrigeration function to assure the maximum operating efficiencies are maintained to meet maximum production, quality, and grade while minimizing downtime, accidents and costs.
For additional details and to apply, please visit our website at
We offer competitive benefits/salaries. EOE/AA employer
HAPPY HOUR 3-6 PM & 10-CLOSE MONDAY - FRIDAY OVER 60 MENU ITEMS
• BLACKJACK • PULL TABS • PIGWHEEL BOOK YOUR PARTIES HERE!
21 & Up
701-757-1091 • 1210 S. Washington St. • Grand Forks, ND
4. Who was the first player to hit his 499th and 500th career home runs in the 1. Boxer Joe Louis holds the same game? (hint 2014) record for most consecutive successful world 5. Which was the last NBA team before Golden State heavyweight title defenses. in 2016 to have 47 assists How many is it? in a game? 2. How long is the balance 6. Who was the first Ameribeam used in women’s can woman inducted into gymnastics? the Hockey Hall of Fame? 3. Name the last woman before Evgenia Medvedeva 7. Entering 2018, when was the last time men’s golf’s in 2017 to win back-toU.S. Open finished with a back world figure skating singles titles? playoff?
RANDY HOUSER PLUS MANY MORE
• PELICAN 212 • SWEET FREEDOM • THRILLBILLIES • THE FARMER’S DAUGHTERS • SMOKEHOUSE • RUSTIC
Tickets & Camping at www.KUKMUSIC.com or 877-542-5687
EAST GRAND FORKS
AMERICAN LEGION • POST 157 •
Book Our BALLROOM:
• Weddings • Graduation • Parties • Meetings • & More
DAILY DRINK SPECIALS
$ 00 U-CALL Thursdays: 7:00 pm ITS Sundays: 1:30 pm 1009 CENTRAL AVE. • EAST GRAND FORKS • 218-773-1129
TV HOSTS (cont'd)
• Canada-born Alex Trebek has been the face of “Jeopardy” since 1984. After obtaining a degree in philosophy from the University of Ottawa, Trebek set out on a career in broadcasting, starting out with the Canadian Broadcasting Company as a newscaster and sportscaster. In 1973, at age 33, he moved to America and became the host of a new game show “The Wizard of Odds.” He moved on to “High Rollers” and “Battlestars” before the revival of “Jeopardy.” Trebek took on the hosting job of “Classic Concentration” in 1987 and “To Tell the Truth” in 1991, making history as the first person to host three game shows at the same time. Trebek is a renowned philanthropist, having donated $2 million worth of land in north Hollywood to the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy and $7.5 million to the University of Ottawa. He also funds a Leadership Award at the University to those who demonstrate community leadership. Trebek has participated in 13 USO tours, visiting American troops on several overseas military bases. In 2014, Trebek overtook Bob Barker’s record of the most gameshow episodes hosted on the same program. At that time, Trebek had hosted 6,829 episodes of “Jeopardy.” • Although Alex Trebek has gained fame as the host of “Jeopardy,” he wasn’t the first host. That honor belonged to Arthur Fleming Fazzin, better known as Art Fleming, who hosted the show from 1964 until 1974, and again for five months in 1978. After starring on Cornell University’s football and water polo teams, Fleming served in World War II as the pilot of a bomber for 3 ½ years. He already had a successful television, commercial, and film career by the time he was noticed by Merv Griffin on a television ad for ...continued Trans World Airlines.
SPRING CLEAN UP
for a Successful
For future disposal of Large Items call 701-738-8740 for a Special Pickup or haul them to the city landfill.
There is a minimal charge for special pickups and landill drops. Seasonal Yard Waste Collection Has Begun
Low-Profile Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
Turnoverball™ Gooseneck Hitch
Other Hitch Styles Available
WHEELS & TIRES SUPER STORE
6105 Gateway Drive • Grand Forks, ND 701-746-0083 • 800-279-7492 • Hours: M-F 9-6 and Sat. 9-3
www.newvisiontruckaccessories.com NEW PUZZLE
0% FINANCING for 12-24 Months
Rates as Low as
Life Happens Sometimes a little extra cash is what you need. Apply for a Personal Loan at our Grand Forks Branch, online or by phone 24/7.
SERVICECU.ORG • 800.936.7730 *Rate shown is Annual Percentage Rate (APR). APR is variable and is subject to change. Accurate as of 3/1/18. The APR reflects .75% reduction for active military direct deposit and selection of the automatic loan payment feature. (Example: 8.24% APR less .75% = 7.49% APR). Actual APR determined by the overall credit worthiness of each applicant. Please ask a loan officer for details regarding how your rate and credit limit is determined. Rates and terms are subject to change without notice. Subject to minimum rate limitations. Loan discount only applies to closed end personal loans. Direct deposit of entire net pay to Service Credit Union (SCU) (not allotment) and automatic payment must be maintained. Cannot be combined with any other personal loan offer. Offer available on SCU personal loans that qualify for additional funds of $1,000 or more. All eligible discounts are allowed.
federally insured by ncua
• On May 26, 1897, the first copies of the classic vampire novel "Dracula," by Irish writer Bram Stoker, appear in London bookshops. In 1890, Stoker published his first novel, "The Snake's Pass." He would go on to publish 17 novels in all, but it was "Dracula" that eventually earned him literary fame. • On May 21, 1927, American pilot Charles A. Lindbergh lands at Le Bourget Field in Paris, successfully completing the first solo, nonstop trans-Atlantic flight. The flight of the Spirit of St. Louis between New York and Paris took 33-1/2 hours. Six men had died attempting the same flight. • On May 23, 1934, famed fugitives Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker are killed when police ambush their car near Sailes, Louisiana. They died in a two-minute fusillade of 167 bullets. • On May 25, 1935, at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, Babe Ruth hits his 714th home run, a record for career home runs that would stand for almost 40 years. • On May 22, 1958, American singer Jerry Lee Lewis arrives in England as a newly married man, with his pretty young wife in tow. Within days, it was revealed that his new wife, Myra Gail Lewis, was actually only 13 years old and was his first cousin once-removed. • On May 27, 1972, Soviet President Leonid Brezhnev and U.S. President Richard Nixon, meeting in Moscow, sign the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks (SALT) agreements. At the time, these agreements were the most far-reaching attempts ever to control nuclear weapons. • On May 24, 1991, the critically acclaimed road movie "Thelma and Louise" debuts in theaters, stunning audiences with a climactic scene in which its two heroines drive off a cliff into the Grand Canyon in a vintage 1966 Ford Thunderbird convertible.
© 2018 Hearst Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved
KING C R O S S W O R D • Audio • Speakers • Lighting
• WINDOW TINT • REMOTE STARTS • CAR STEREO/VIDEO • TRUCK ACCESSORIES • LIFT KITS • SUSPENSION • WHEELS • TIRES• PERFORMANCE • PAINT PROTECTION www.TriixCustoms.com
701-757-3075 • 1600 47th Ave. S. - Suite C • Grand Forks
Sales & Installation
Life • Medicare • Group Plans • Health • Long Term Care
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
©2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
S U D O K U
2009 Medica. Medica® contracts with the federal government.
On 4 season Solariums when ordered by July 15!
Any Sunspace 3 or 4 Season Room when ordered by May 31st • Must show coupon
Create your personal Haven with a Sunspace enclosure or sunroom and take advantage of the warmth from the sun without the bugs and wind! Get started by stopping by Sunrooms ‘Plus’ today!
by Linda Thistle
Place a number in the empty boxes in such a way that each row across, each column down and each small 9-box square contains all of the numbers from one to nine.
View our Displays in our showroom at: 4224 Gateway Dr. • Grand Forks www.sunroomsplusgf.com
Short-Term Care & Rehabilitation • Recuperate • Get Strong • Get Back to Everyday Life We offer specialized services in: DIFFICULTY THIS WEEK: HHH Moderate
Challenging HOO BOY!
© 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
Physical, Occupational, Speech & Massage Therapy, along with Skilled Nursing Services To learn more about rehabilitation and other services we offer please contact us.
(218) 281-3424 • 516 Walsh Street. • Crookston, MN
Contact your local agent
• Medicare Contact your local agent for for more information: Coverage moreinformation: information: t for more • Group <Agent Name> A Medical INSURANCE AGENCY <Agency Name> • Life Ins. <Address> Rick Asche • 701-772-1138 H2409, H2410, H2450_2058 (01-2009) <City, ST ZIP> <Phone> 1521 24th Ave. S. • Grand Forks, ND <Hours of Operation> >
TV HOSTS (cont'd)
3 - 6 PM & 10-Close Mon-Fri.
Apply in Person at Pub 76
blackjack • Pull Tabs • pigwheel Specials in a SNAP!
Follow / Like Us to Enter Contests @pub76gf
1210 S. Washington St. • Grand Forks, ND • 701.757.1091
PLEASE TELL OUR ADVERTISERS YOU SAW THEIR AD IN TIDBITS!
d Cities Gam n ra G 120 N. Wash. St. Grand Forks
BUY 2 BOARD GAMES GET 1 FREE
Free Board Game must be equal or lesser value of 2 purchased. Exp. 6-16-18
• Comics • Trading Cards • Warhammer • Board Games • RPGs • Dice • Gaming Rooms
© 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
21 & Up
• Before “Jeopardy,” Art Fleming had already had a run in ABC’s series “International Detective,” and an NBC Western “The Californians.” In addition to 5,000 episodes of television programs, Fleming appeared in 48 movies. During his entire run of “Jeopardy,” Fleming never missed a single taping. • “You might be a redneck” if you know much about stand-up comedian and host Jeff Foxworthy. This Georgia-born TV personality started out with a degree in computer technology and a job at IBM. Making people laugh became more important than the job, and he turned in his resignation. His hosting duties have included “Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?”, “The American Bible Challenge,” and “The American Baking Competition.” He’s the largest-selling comedy recording artist in history as well as the author of 26 books. Yet he takes time out each week to lead a Bible study with homeless men, a group that started out with 15 members, and has grown to more than 100. • Can you name all six of the hosts of the game show “Family Feud”? The program debuted in 1976 with Richard Dawson at the helm, where he remained until 1985. After a three-year hiatus, Ray Combs stepped in as host in 1988, and remained until 1994. Dawson then came back for a single season. Tragically, Combs committed suicide in 1996, in the process of being treated for depression. After another pause in production, comedian Louie Anderson took over, hosting from 1999 until 2002, when “Home Improvement” star Richard Karn replaced Anderson. John O’Hurley was next in line when Karn departed in 2006. O’Hurley hosted until 2010 when current host Steve Harvey joined the show. Since Harvey took over, ratings have increased dramatically, moving the show into the top five most popular syndicated TV shows in America.
*Answer located further back in this issue.
In-Home Care Services
She’s Always Been The Independent Type. We Aim To Keep Her That Way. We help to keep her independent spirit strong. Comfort Keepers® provides compassionate in-home care that helps seniors live safe, happy, and independent lives in the comfort of their own homes. We call our approach Interactive Caregiving™, a unique system of care, which keeps our clients mentally and physically engaged while focusing on their safety assurance and nutrition needs.
SERVICES Companion Care Light Housekeeping Personal Care In-Home Safety Solutions
Call For A Free In-Home Assessment
(701) 738-0006 2100 S Columbia RD #116 Grand Forks, ND 58201 ©2018 CK Franchising, Inc. An international network, where most offices independently owned and operated.
2600 DeMers Ave. Grand Forks, ND
Online Ordering & Daily Specials
Open: Fri-Sat 11am-2am • Sun-Thurs 11am-Midnight Expanded Grand Forks Delivery & Now East Grand Forks
TWO LARGE 1-TOPPING PIZZAS
© 2018 King Features Syndicate. All rights reserved.
LARGE BEEF TOSTADA PIZZA
Must mention coupon when ordering. Not valid with other offers. Expires 6-16-18
Must mention coupon when ordering. Not valid with other offers. Expires 6-16-18
• Peacock started production of V8 in the mid-1930s, catering primarily to the New England states. But by 1938, he just couldn’t keep up with the demand, manufacturing it all entirely on his own. He sold the recipe to an Indiana firm, the Loudon Packing Company, who took over the processing. • Another change came along in 1943, when Loudon sold out to Standard Brands for $3 million. Five years later, when gross annual sales were nearing $5 million, V8 was sold to the Campbell’s Soup Company, who still owns the V8 brand today. The recipe, which is 87% tomato juice, remains the same. Campbell’s has expanded the vegetable line to include spicy hot, lemon, picante, and roasted chicken. An 8-oz. serving contains 60 calories. Compare this to 112 calories for the same amount of orange juice or 110 calories in apple juice. • A study by the Centers for Disease Control reveals that only about 25% of Americans eat enough of the recommended allowance of vegetables – 2.5 cups daily.
• Another V8 ingredient, watercress, is a fast-growing aquatic plant, one of the oldest-known leaf vegetables. It’s related to the mustard plant, radish, and wasabi. Watercress, a plant with hollow stems, is 95% water, and is exceptionally rich in Vitamin K, necessary for the body’s blood coagulation. • Although we think of parsley primarily as a garnish or decoration on the dinner plate, it’s actually a good source of folic acid, Vitamins A and C, and antioxidants lycopene and beta carotene. • W. G. Peacock probably didn’t know about all the health benefits of celery juice, including its strong anti-inflammatory properties. Its nutrients also seem to help lower high blood pressure, and well as a treatment for kidney stones. Its high levels of electrolytes also seem to contribute to increased relaxation and restful sleep. • There have been several well-known advertising slogans over the years. In the 1960s, the catchphrase was “Wow, it sure doesn’t taste like tomato juice!”, which was expanded in later decades to include “Drink V8 & Keep Your Diet Straight,” and “Drink it. Feel it.” The familiar “I could have had a V8” was introduced in the 1980s.
• Back in 1933, W.G. Peacock, the founder of the New England Products Company, was manufacturing individual vegetable juices, using the brand name of Vege-min. His sales were less-than-desirable, so Mr. Peacock began experimenting with blending various juices together into one. He combined eight different vegetable juices – beets, celery, carrots, lettuce, parsley, watercress, spinach, and tomato – and called his concoction Vege-min 8.” An Evanston, Illinois, grocer recommended that Peacock abbreviate it to the simpler V8.
“Wow, I could have had a V8!” goes the familiar advertising slogan. This week, Tidbits has the details about this longstanding beverage.
• V8 isn’t all about vegetables these days. The company has introduced three spin-offs – V8 Energy, V8 Splash, and V8 V-Fusion. The energy drinks add 80 mg. of caffeine from green tea to a fruit and vegetable blend. The V-Fusion line has added a few different vegetables – sweet potatoes, squash, yellow tomatoes, and purple carrots – to a variety of fruits juices, including acai berries. The acai is a one-inchlong purplish fruit from the acai palm tree, native to Central and South America, and richer in antioxidants than several other berries.
Food of the Week:
Home Owned & Operated Since 1939!
SHORT-TIMER? PLAN YOUR POST-SERVICE BENEFITS If you're about to leave the service, there are a number of transition services you need to know about. Your biggest issue will be timing. Wherever you're stationed, there is a benefits adviser available, as well as a Transition Assistance Program (TAP) manager. Their job is to help you through the process and make sure no stone is left unturned in getting you the benefits you need once you're out. As a first step, to learn about all the benefits and services available to you, go online (www.benefits. va.gov/TAP/) and select either Active Duty or National Guard/Reserve. Both will take you to a page with your benefits listed. Don't miss out on the Pre-Discharge benefits if you're active duty and eligible for those. Starting 180 days before separation or retirement, you can submit a claim for disability compensation. It will take a minimum of 90 days to get you organized with that so it's all in place by the time you're out. You'll need VA Form 21-526EZ and your medical records. Read all of the details on this page so you don't miss anything. Mark important dates on a calendar -- it's that critical that you don't miss deadlines. The other benefits listed include health care, education, home loans (including refinance and interestrate reduction), insurance and vocational rehab, and employment. In addition, career counseling and fiduciary services are available. Spouses aren't being left out. They are encouraged to go to the benefits briefing, add their input and ask questions. In fact, many of the advisers are either veterans or military spouses. They'll know how to help you. You've earned these benefits. Whatever your situation, don't miss out on the benefits briefings. If you can't get to a TAP meeting, the information can be accessed at the link above. Scroll down to select the agency. © 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
22” 163cc 3-in-1 AWD Mower w/ Electric Start
$429.95 after $50 Mail-In Rebate
$1,599.95 after $100 Mail-In Rebate
More Husqvarna Mowers Available
Hwy. 81 North • Grand Forks, ND • Hours: M-F 8-8 • Sat. 8-6 • Sun. 12-6
START AN E-COMMERCE BUSINESS TODAY Free Consulting • Confidential • Business Plans
www.grandforks.score.org SCORE Mentors (Grand Forks, ND) Call: 746-5851 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact us today to set up an appointment!
• EFF, 1, 2 & 3 Bedroom Apartments • Over 40 Properties to Choose From • Variety of Floor Plans • Options Near UND
Options Located Near UND
Eff, 1, 2, & 3 Bedroom Apartments (701) 780-9901
Var Differ P
Close to Shopping & Restaurants
SEARCH OUR AVAILABLE APARTMENTS ONLINE AT: WWW.GOLDMARK.COM/GRANDFORKS
YOUR FIRST MONTH! .COM Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks
46” 22HP Lawn Tractor w/ Hydrostatic Transmission
Terms & conditions must be met. Bring this coupon in to get full details. Grand Forks only.
Over 40 Properties to Choose From
You can also search for available apartments at www.GOLDMARK.com
You can also search for available apa
Of Grand Forks • East Grand Forks by Samantha Weaver
• It was noted Spanish filmmaker Luis Bunuel who made the following sage observation: "Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese." • You might be surprised to learn that we call coffee beans aren't actually beans -- they're the pits of the coffee beans. • Would you believe me if I told you that there were parachutists (better known now as skydivers) before there were airplanes? Yep, it's true! In Paris in the year 1900, a man leaped from the Eiffel Tower and made a safe descent using a parachute. It wasn't until December 17, 1903, that the Wright Brothers made the first controlled, sustained powered flight in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. • According to statisticians, about 200 people a year die while watching -- not playing -- football. • Of all the stamps that have been used by the U.S. Postal Service, more have featured George Washington than any other person; so far there have been 305 with the likeness of the nation's first president. • If you ever make a trip to Alaska, you might want to keep in mind the fact that it is illegal there to wake a sleeping bear for the purpose of taking its picture. • We don't often associate museums with beverages, but it seems that they're fairly popular throughout the world. For instance, museums dedicated to coffee and/or tea can be found in London, Moscow, Paris, Sao Paolo, Zurich and Kyoto, as well as in China, South Korea, Colombia and Angola. Germany has three of them. Coffee and tea must be quite popular in the Netherlands; museums dedicated to the beverages can be found there in five different cities. *** Thought for the Day: "Testing can show the presence of errors, but not their absence." -- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra © 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
THE AREA’S BEST ADVERTISING VALUE 1. It’s a FREE publication for the public. 2. Every issue of Tidbits is available for a full 3.
week; so your ad gets seen for 7 days! Tidbits is a smaller publication which gives your ad a great chance of being noticed. Plus, every page is designed to contain extra content such as trivia and puzzles to entertain readers on each page longer. People love Tidbits because it’s filled with content that is upbeat and fun....not with “gloom and doom” news of the day. Tidbits appeals to just about everyone!
8,000 Copies of Tidbits are published every Thursday and distributed to over 120 locations in Grand Forks, GFAFB, East Grand Forks & Crookston.
Here is pricing for a few of our more popular ad sizes: Full Color
Ad Size (inches)
2x2 2x3 Front 2x3 Inside 4x2 4x3 4x4 1/4 Page (4x5) 1/2 Page Full Page
1-12 weeks $40.00 $60.00 $50.00 $60.00 $80.00 $88.00 $95.00 $160.00 $265.00
13+ weeks $30.00 $51.00 $41.00 $51.00 $66.00 $75.00 $82.00 $135.00 $220.00
*All prices listed are per week.
An area favorite for over 20 YEARS!
For more information:
Call 701.740.0968 or go to www.TidbitsGF.com
King Features Weekly Service
Published Every Thursday!
©2018 King Features Syndicate, Inc. All rights reserved.
© 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
(Answers located on next page)
May 7, 2018
• Take a picture of the size of your air filter and keep it on your phone. No guessing when you get to the store and all those numbers start sounding the same. • Recipe Substitutions: If you need 1 cup of corn syrup, dissolve 1 cup white sugar in 1/4 cup of hot water. • “My husband plays golf a lot, and he’s always got a stock of little pencils from the club. The kids made a photo frame for him for Father’s Day by gluing many of these pencils together in a pattern rectangle. It’s so creative and we printed a photo of him and the kids to go in it.” — J.G. in Florida • Protect your razor and your fingers in your shower kit with this neat trick. Clip an extra-large binder over the razor head. Fold the prongs along the razor handle and secure with an elastic hair tie. • Kids running around the house? To make sure they don’t run into the sliding glass door, hang something at eye level. It could be as simple as a sticker, or a cute suncatcher. Nobody likes to go face first into a glass door that’s closed. • “I have a lovely painted mailbox. The house number is painted on, but it never occurred to me that it’s not very visible in the dark. We had a heart scare recently that involved an ambulance being called. They did make it to our place, but standing in the driveway as they left, I realized that we needed something more obvious. I have a solar-powered lamp light up house numbers now.” — A.O. in Idaho Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
MORE TV HOSTS
• Who hasn’t heard of Bob Barker, long-time host of “The Price is Right”? When World War II broke out, Barker enlisted in the U.S. Navy and trained as a fighter pilot. Post-war, he received a degree in economics. Barker’s first game show gig came along on the last day of 1956, hosting “Truth or Consequences” until 1974. “The Price is Right” started up in 1972, where Barker remained until 2007, collecting 14 Emmy Awards for Outstanding Game Show Host. He also served as the host of the Miss Universe and Miss USA pageants for 20 years, the longestserving host of those pageants.
Reaching beyond yourself. COMPASSION
Would You Like Tidbits in Your restaurant?
It’s FREE! Call Tidbits Today! 701-740-0968
Solution on Next Page
• Former Marine Corps reservist, bank teller, Denny’s waiter, and stand-up comic Drew Carey took the reins from Bob Barker. Carey had starred in his own comedy show for nine years, starting out with a salary of $60,000 per episode, which was later raised to $300,000, and culminating at $750,000 per episode in the program’s final season. • Between 1961 and 1980, Allen Ludden was the host of television’s “Password.” Ludden was well-equipped to deal with the word game, having received a Master of Arts in English from the University of Texas. Prior to his show biz career, he had achieved the rank of captain in the U.S. Army during World War II, and was awarded a Bronze Star. He met his wife, actress Betty White, on “Password,” and the pair enjoyed nearly 18 years of marriage before Allen succumbed to stomach cancer in 1981. Betty White has never remarried, and is quoted as saying, “Once you’ve had the best, who needs the ...cont'd rest?”
Professional Home Inspection Service CERTIFIED INSPECTOR
DIFFERENCES: 1. Zipper is missing. 2. Hat is different. 3. Paper is missing. 4. Sign is missing. 5. Balloon is moved. 6. Box is missing. © 2018 King Features Synd., All rights reserved.
TV HOSTS (cont'd):
• Johnny Carson was another World War II veteran-turned-TV host, having served in the U.S. Navy aboard the USS Pennsylvania in the PaAnswer: Dell. cific. As an ensign, he also was quite the amaA with VERY LARGE teur boxer a record ofNUMBER 10-0. Johnny was •a Edward Kasner was a mathematician. 1938 born entertainer, having purchased aInmagihe was asked to come up with a name forata cian’s kit at age 12, as well becoming adept very large number: the numeral one, followed card tricks. He made his debut as “The Great by a hundred zeros. He asked his two young Carson” at the local Kiwanis Club at age 14, nephews what name they would suggest. wearing a cape sewn by his mother. He contin•ued Nine-year-old Milton suggested his magic shows into college whilea hename maout of the funnies. A cartoon strip character jored in Barney speech was and very drama. AfterMilton graduation, named popular. chose heBarney’s began his career in radio and television at last name for the number. an Omaha, Nebraska station. Carson became • Kasner announced the new name for the big the host of Tonight Show” in and number in “The his next book, altering the1962 spelling. held the position until 1992, earning six Em• Sixty years later, Larry Page and Sergey Brin mys over the years. developed a new internet search engine. Other • Long before “Dealsearched or No Deal,” Mandel search engines eachHowie webpage and rankeda successful them according how many times a owned carpettobusiness in Toronto. term appeared them, but Page at and Inspecific his spare time, he did on stand-up comedy a Brin designed their search engine to search for small local comedy club. In 1982, he landed therole specific term and then findon outtelevision’s how many the of Dr. Wayne Fiscus links there were that led back to that page, Emmy Award-winning medical drama “St. which resulted in a better search engine. Elsewhere,” a six-year-run. At a time when he •was They decided they needed a business name that contemplating quitting show in reflected how many websites the search 2003, he was offered the job of hosting “Deal,” engine was searching. They took the name hosting both Kasner’s the U.S. very and Canadian versions. of Edward large number, only This job was made especially difficult by his they misspelled it slightly, so it ended up being struggles with Obsessive Compulsive Disspelled exactly the same way the cartoon order and Barney mysophobia, of character spelledan hisirrational last name.fear What’s it called? (Answer page)with any germs. Mandel did at notbottom shakeofhands of the contestants unless heFACTS was wearing latex COMPUTER gloves, preferring to do a “fist instead. • In 1981 Bill Gates said, “640bump” kb of memory He has written about for his anybody.” anxiety disorder in his ought to be enough autobiography, Here’s the Deal: Don’t Touch • Moore’s Law states that computer performance Me, a Newevery York18 Times doubles to 24bestseller. months, and ever since 1971, this has been true. • HP, Google, Microsoft, and Apple were all started in garages. Answer: Google, from googol.
1st Quarter 2015 Week 2 Jan 4 - Jan. 10 Page 8
1. “The Price is Right” 2. The MillionDollar wedge 3. A golf swing 4. Bob Eubanks 5. Canberra
Tammy Erickson @
Superior Styles Haircuts - $15 (Seniors - $12)
Perms & Colors Start at $35
Home Service Available ($3 travel fee) Call for Appointment
510 N. Wash. St. • Grand Forks
Sports Answers 5. Phoenix Suns 1. Twenty-five in 1991 2. 16 feet, 5 in. 6. Cammi 3. Michelle Granato Kwan, in 7. 2008. Tiger 2000-01 Woods beat 4. Albert Pujols Rocco Mediate did it with the Angels in 2014.
24HR EMERGENCY SERVICE
6. Radiation 7. Venus 8. Michael & Gabriel 9. Hammerfest, Norway
• Residential • Commercial • Industrial
• Mobile Home Parks
(701) 746-8947 1-800-438-7686 • www.rotorooter.com Please Recycle this copy of Tidbits. Share it with a Friend.
2700 South Washington St. Grand Forks, ND
Accessories Dept.: Jason Kowalski 701-757-5912 or AJ Preston 701-757-5969
WE INSTALL: • Auto Starts • Truck Bedliners • Running Boards / Nerf Bars • Rims & Tires • WeatherTech • Window Tinting • Bed Rails • Tonneau Covers • Chrome Accessories • Hitches • Grille Guards • DVD Headrests • & More!
WHEELS! Get Ready to Haul Your Boats & Campers!
and Many More!
WINDOW TINTING Reduce Glare, Heat, and Block Harmful UV Rays from damaging your vehicle.
We Install Hitches & Wiring on All Makes & Models
"TV Hosts" and "V8"