MONDAY i’m lovin’ it!
HIGH 88ºF LOW 78ºF
The Tribune Established 1903
24/7 BREAKING NEWS ON TRIBUNE242.COM
Biggest And Best!
VOLUME:116 No.124, JUNE 24TH, 2019
HO US E & 16 THE PEOPLE’S PAPER: $1
SPORT: BACK-TO-BACK SWIM CHAMPS FOR MAKO
PAGES
Mdeez stabbed to death in road rage
HOME
THOUSANDS ENRAGED AS LOAD SHEDDING CONTINUES By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net
BAHAMAS Power and Light expects New Providence load shedding to continue until rental generators are installed at its Blue Hills Station and offline equipment is brought back on stream. This means long power cuts may continue up to June 30, when BPL expects its additional rental generators to be completely installed. New Providence residents have suffered through almost daily load shedding since June 19. This despite BPL chairman Donovan Moxey proclaiming earlier this year that officials did not expect load shedding this summer. SEE PAGE SEVEN
‘WE WANT MURDER RATE DOWN TO 85’ By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
MDEEZ was set to kickstart a 12-week, multi-country tour this summer. Photo: Shawn Hanna/Tribune Staff By RICARDO WELLS Tribune Staff Reporter rwells@tribunemedia.net REGGAE artist Devon “Mdeez” Knight died after he was stabbed during an argument in the Fox Hill area, during an apparent road rage attack. The famed “Bad Company” singer was reportedly stabbed in his body following a traffic accident at the junction of
Prince Charles Drive and Fox Hill Road around 7pm on Friday evening, according to police. Official reports suggest that Knight got into an argument with a man whose car he was in a collision with. It was during this altercation that authorities said Knight was stabbed. A short time later he was taken to Princess Margaret Hospital by paramedics, where he died of his injuries,
police said. He was one of two people killed over the weekend. In an interview with The Tribune yesterday, Knight’s close friend and manager, Luval “Big L” Culmer, said the musician’s death had “stunned” the local entertainment industry. “He was a giant to us, and his love, energy and passion are irreplaceable,” Mr Culmer said. According to Mr Culmer,
Knight had dedicated the past 20 years of his life to expanding his talent and driving growth throughout the local industry. Mr Culmer said Knight was on the cusp of international stardom, as he revealed the artist was set to kickstart a 12-week, multi-country tour this summer. The tour was due to make stops in various cities in Canada, the United States and SEE PAGE THREE
THE Minnis administration wants to reduce the number of murders to 85 by 2021 while reducing the average time it takes to get a business licence from 30 days to 24 hours. These and many other targets are revealed in the Prime Minister’s Delivery Unit report, the first of which was tabled in the House of Assembly last week. There were 91 murders in 2018, a 25 percent reduction over the 122 murders recorded in 2017, according to police statistics. The delivery unit, headed by Viana Gardiner, was launched in May 2018 and is responsible for tracking SEE PAGE SIX
ITALIAN TWO: ’DEATHS ACCIDENTAL’
By RASHAD ROLLE Tribune Staff Reporter rrolle@tribunemedia.net
ITALIAN police have concluded that the deaths of two Bahamian men in Italy this month were accidental, according to Italian media reports. The bodies of Alrae Ramsey and Blair John are expected to arrive in The Bahamas on Wednesday, an Italian reporter told The Tribune. The newspaper la Repubblica reported that
ALRAE RAMSEY the prosecutor’s office in Italy cleared the transport of the bodies, several weeks
after they were discovered lifeless on June 4 and June 5 in the Po river in Turin. “The autopsy revealed that in all likelihood their death, which occurred on the evening of May 30, had been accidental, by drowning,” the paper reported according to a translation of its language. “They had both drank, although the levels of alcohol found would not have been so high as to make
Nassau & Bahama Islands’ Leading Newspaper
SEE PAGE THREE
INSIGHT
GIVE MARIJUANA A GO, URGES CANCER SURVIVOR SEE PAGE NINE