1
Jul 23, THE CLARE ECHO Thursday, Oct 31, 2026 2024
Support journalism in Clare by subscribing to www.clareecho.ie/subscribe
www.campion.com
065 671 9021
clareecho.ie
Jul 23 2026
(065) 684 1766
Bank House, Bindon Street, Ennis
Campion Insurances Limited trading as Campion Insurance, PIB Global and Bestquote.ie is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland
BOWL ME OVER!
Cllr Howard harassed by ‘disturbing’ phone calls by Páraic McMahon paraic@clareecho.ie
A group of competitors prepare to show their horses at the successful Clarecastle Show last weekend. For more photos, see p10
Photo by Tom Micks
More jobs to take off in Shannon by Páraic McMahon paraic@clareecho.ie
RYANAIR are set to make a significant announcement to benefit the Shannon region. Senior management from Ryanair will join Minister for Enterprise, Tourism and Employment, Peter Burke (FG) at Shannon Airport today (Thursday) where between 300-400 new jobs are
News
forecast to be announced along with details of further investment by the airline in Co Clare. Last month in the Dáil, Minister Burke teased a “significant announcement” that hundreds of new jobs were on the cards in Shannon from a leading Irishborn company. No new routes are expected to arise from the additional investment from Ryanair.
FEMALE politicians including Cllr Mary Howard (FG) have gone to the Gardaí over a co-ordinated campaign of “disturbing” and “horrendous” phone calls this week. Cllr Howard confirmed to The Clare Echo that she made a report to An Garda Síochána in Ennis on Wednesday morning after receiving a “horrendous phone call” from “a very sick individual” on Tuesday evening. Up to thirty female Fine Gael councillors have received phone calls since Sunday night by a male individual. No threats were made to any of the
women but the conversation has been described as “totally and wholly inappropriate”. It is understood the same man has been behind the calls. Fine Gael headquarters are now looking into the matter along with An Garda Síochána. “When someone phones you it is a different level, it is a violation, it was in the evening time and you get this horrendous phone call,” Cllr Howard told The Clare Echo. On what was said over the phone, Cllr Howard commented, “the conversation was totally and wholly inappropriate”. Cllr Mary Howard (FG) Photo by John O’Neill
Full story p6