Are You Ready for a Culinary Adventure? All across Nova Scotia, culinary adventures are waiting to be explored. Use this guide to discover the ver y best from our land, from our sea and from our hands. There are over 100 quality members across the province including producers, processors and an elite collection of the best restaurants in Nova Scotia. Be sure to join the Recipe of the Month Club. Youâ€™ll be automatically entered to win private cooking lessons from one of the best chefs in Nova Scotia. If you join before July 31, 2008, you'll be entered into our Early Bird Draw and you could win a delicious Taste of Nova Scotia Gift Basket. Enjoy!
Your culinary adventure begins here. Discover the very best from our land, from our sea and from our hands. Just seek out a Taste of Nova Scotia member. Each one is committed to providing high-quality products and culinar y experiences. There are over 100 quality members across the province including producers, processors and an elite collection of the best restaurants in Nova Scotia. And once you get a Taste of Nova Scotia, you’ll hold the rest of the world to a higher standard.
How to Enjoy This Guide To help experience all that there is to see and do, we’ve grouped everything by the provincial trails. Each trail grouping lists the Taste of Nova Scotia restaurants and producers alphabetically. To differentiate our restaurants and producers look for these symbols: TASTE OF NOVA SCOTIA RESTAURANT TASTE OF NOVA SCOTIA PRODUCER
LOBSTER CHOWDER This is a rich chowder with plenty of lobster. It can be served in small cups for a very special first course or in larger bowls as the centerpiece of an informal supper. The sour cream adds an unexpected and delicious tartness. 12⁄ 3 cups
potatoes, peeled & diced
onions, peeled & minced finely
400mL 25mL 375mL
dried thyme leaves
11⁄ 2 cup
lobster meat, cooked &
chopped, plus juices - see note Note:11 oz (312-mL) tin of frozen lobster may be substituted Steam the potatoes in a saucepan for 8 minutes, remove from heat and set aside. In a large saucepan over medium heat sauté onions in butter until soft and transparent; do not overcook. Stir in the thyme, celery salt and pepper and then the potatoes. Blend the sour cream, whipping cream, milk and the lobster meat and juice. Heat through but do not boil. Makes 6 servings.
Also, sprinkled throughout the guide you’ll find original Nova Scotia recipes to tr y for yourself. So be sure to take this guide home with you. Find more delicious recipes like this at www.tasteofnovascotia.com
Tourism Region Locator Map
Bay of Fundy
Fundy Shore & Annapolis Valley
Long Island y
err Westport F
Annapolis Royal Upper
71 54 60
42 LunenburgTancook 36
West Pubnico Birchtown
Clyde River Barrington
Seaside Adjunct Kejimkujik National Park of Canada
Bedford 10 118
Herring Cove 306 349
t. rry S Che
rge S Geo
1314 t eS Princ 11 17
t St ers S Blow 3 Salter
le ad Doy n Ro arde ng G Spri
26 is S Morr
a ingh Birm
t. ey S Binn
St. mer Sum
St. lnut Wa t St. stnu Ch e St
t. ar S Ced d Roa ilee Jub
S kville Sac
St ater er W Low s St Holli St nville eet Gra n Str ingto Barr St fton le St Gra et St Argy Mark et Stre wick
t. rell S
Halifax Citadel National Historic Site
t et S
Fundy Shore & Annapolis Valley
ad l Ro poo 25 Quin
27 25 20
Yarmouth & Acadian Shores
Provincial Visitor Information Centre
ou allis No t rm 21 rth A ornw dS lan Pa C Ba ue Falk rk rS St t. t e e ll Str swe Rainnie C og Dr.
Beach Park with Mixed Facilities
Provincial Arterial Highway
Canso Tor Bay
t er S Park
Eastern Shore 10
Trans Canada Highway
Scale 1 : 1,100,000
St. Marys River
Ave pton Com s St m ia Will St ford ls e W
Cape Sable Island
Bras d Sceni
Musquodoboit Harbour Jeddore Oyster Pond
Marble Mountain 105
Aulds Port Hastings104 Cove Mulgrave 99 4
Halifax Dartmouth Lighthouse Route
North Preston Porters Dartmouth Lake 7
Moose River Gold Mines
St. Georges Bay
80 82 83
Middle Musquodoboit Meaghers Grant
84 TrentonMelmerby Beach
rS nt e Hu
Rissers Beach 331
Queensland St. Beach
Chester 329 Margaret’s Oak Island Ferry Bay 333 Mahone Bay Blandford
New 58 55 Minas 64 74 70 61 73 68
Kejimkujik Scenic Drive
47 Tusket Ste. Anne du Ruisseau 45
Yarmouth & Acadian Shores
Balmoral Mills Londonderry
Lake Milo Beach
50 62 57 66
Kejimkujik National Park & National Historic Site of Canada
Cape St. Mary Mavillette Beach
Wentworth 81 Tatamagouche 246
Port Maitland Beach
ay Causew Canso
St. Mary’s Bay Meteghan
Clements Smiths Clementsport Cove Bear River
Sandy Cove er Tiverton F
Meat Cove Cape North
Bay St. Lawrence
Pleasant Bay Cape North
St. Joseph du Moine
Cape Breton Highlands National Park of Canada
Margaree Forks s
Wreck Cove Margaree Valley
91 Lake Ainslie
Little Narrows Iona
Bras d’Or Lakes Scenic Drive
102 Big Pond
Boisdale Westmount Sydney River 327
New Waterford Dominion
Reserve Mines 22 255
Mira Gut Beach Scaterie Island
Bras d’Or Lakes Scenic Drive
Marion Ben Eoin Bridge
Bras d’Or Lake dee
Grand Narrows Eskasoni
Cabot Trail Bird Islands
Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site of Canada
Point Michaud Fleur-de-lis Trail
Cape Breton Island
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Acadian Maple Products Acadian Seaplants Chives Canadian Bistro Clearwater Lobster Crown Bistrot, Delta Halifax Hotel Fan’s Restaurant Farmers Co-operative Dairy Ltd. Fid Fireside Kitchen Fishermen’s Market International Five Fishermen Garrison Brewing Company Gio Grafton Street Dinner Theatre Inn on the Lake Jane`s on the Common Little Fish Restaurant & Oyster Bar McKelvie’s “Delishes Fishes Dishes” Murphy’s Restaurant O’Carroll’s Propeller Brewing Company Saege Bistro Salty’s Scanway Catering & Pastry Shop Stone Street Café, Delta Barrington ‘Stories’ at The Halliburton Sweet Basil Bistro Sweet Spot Chocolate Shop
SOUTH SHORE Water Street / Ferry Terminal
Halifax Harbour St
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
Charlotte Lane Dauphinee Inn Fleur De Sel Indian Point Marine Farms Ltd. Lane’s Privateer Inn Lunenburg County Winery Oak Island Resort La Vista Dinning Room Old Fish Factory Restaurant & Ice House Bar Quarterdeck Beachside Villas & Grill Shore Club Lobster Suppers Sou’wester Gift Shop & Restaurant The Herb Garden at Bonny Lea Farm
6 6 6 6 7 7 7 7 8 8 8 8 9 9 9 9 10 10 10 10 11 11 11 11 12 12 12 12 PG
14 14 14 14 15 15 15 15 16 16 16 16
41 42 43 44
The Innlet Café & Restaurant Trattoria Della Nonna Van Dyk’s Blueberry Juice White Point Beach Lodge
17 17 17 17
YARMOUTH & ACADIAN SHORES PG 45 Eel Lake Oyster Farm 46 Manor Inn Lakeside Resort 47 Rudder’s Seafood Restaurant and Brew Pub 48 Trout Point Lodge 49 Ye Olde Argyler Lodge
19 19 19 19 20
FUNDY SHORE & ANNAPOLIS VALLEY 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
Agri-Growers Ltd. Best Western Aurora Inn Between the Bushes Restaurant Blomidon Estate Winery Cocoa Pesto Bistro at The Woodshire Inn Eden Valley Farms / Valley House Farmer John’s Herbs Fox Hill Cheese House G.G. Smeltzer & Son Grand Pré Wines J.W. Mason & Sons Ltd. Just Us! Coffee Roastery & Museum Kings Produce Ltd. Meadowbrook Meat Market Noggins Corner Farm Market Nova Agri Nova Scotia Turkey Producers Marketing Board O’Neil Fisheries Paddy’s Brewpub & Rosie’s Restaurant Restaurant Composé Restaurant Le Caveau at Grand Pré Winery Sainte-Famille Wines Ltd. Scotian Gold Country Store, Apple Market and Garden Centre Stirling Fruit Farms Ltd. Tempest World Cuisine The Nova Scotian Emporium & Fireside Tea Room
22 22 22 22 27 27 27 27 28 28 28 28 29 29 29 29 30 30 30 30 31 31 31 31 32 32
76 The Wooden Hog Restaurant 77 Webster Farms Ltd. NORTHUMBERLAND SHORE 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87
Alcove Bistro & Lounge Dalhousie Maple Products Gabrieau’s Bistro Jost Vineyards Lobster Treat Restaurant Main Street Café, Maritime Inn Antigonish Pictou Lodge Resort Sugar Moon Farm Sunrise Mercantile The Pork Shop
CAPE BRETON ISLAND 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106
Baddeck Lobster Suppers Bell Buoy Restaurant and Supper House Bras D’Or Lakes Inn Chanterelle Country Inn & Cottages Galloping Cows Fine Foods Glenora Distillery Glenora Inn & Distillery Keltic Lodge Lakeside Restaurant at Inverary Resort Markland Coastal Resort McCurdy’s Restaurant, Silver Dart Lodge Miller’s Tap & Grill/Miller’s Café Normaway Inn Restaurant Acadien Rita’s Tea Room Seascape Coastal Retreat The Candy Shop The Grubstrake Restaurant The Red Shoe Pub
EASTERN SHORE 107 108 109 110 111
Aquaprime Mussel Ranch Ltd. DesBarres Manor Inn J.Willy Krauch & Sons Ltd. The Lobster Shack Restaurant Tin Roof Mercantile & Café
32 32 PG
34 34 34 34 35 35 35 35 36 36 PG
38 38 38 38 39 39 39 39 40 40 40 40 41 41 41 41 42 42 42 PG
44 44 44 44 45
Great Chefs BUY LOCAL! Local food issues might just be the hottest topic at the dinner table these days. What is the impact of buying local? How do I know what is Nova Scotian grown and when it is in season? If I'm concerned about the environment should I choose imported organic or local? If sorting through the multitude of choices and making a good decision seems overwhelming, remember this: each time you buy a product with the Select Nova Scotia logo you can be confident you've chosen local food products that are harvested at the peak of perfection, ripe, flavourful and delicious â€“ and you've supported local farmers. How many "food miles" do your ingredients travel to reach your home? Every product tells a story of how it reached your plate. Local products have local stories. Buying local means you support family farmers and contribute to local economies. Local meat, dairy, produce, and preserves are available in your own backyard and can reduce your environmental impact. Artisanal producers are making world-class charcuterie (deli meats),
breads, cheeses and wines that expand the repertoire of local ingredients available.
Where to find local Our greatest chefs are staunch supporters of local foods. They build their menus based on what's in season at the farmers market. Enjoy the delicious results at restaurants featured in this guide! By visiting farmers markets, u-picks, open farm days, wineries, and farm markets you make personal connections with our province's land and its producers. Select Nova Scotia is about connecting you to the regional delights of food and culture across the province. Find foods that are home grown at www.selectnovascotia.ca. Search for producers, markets and recipes, and hear about upcoming food events and festivals. The Select Nova Scotia message is simple â€“ by eating fresh and local you are making a difference for our farmers, for our economy and for our way of life. Consider this an open invitation to Select Nova Scotia and enjoy the harvest of our province.
Buy Local. Eat Fresh www.selectnovascotia.ca
27888 Guide.fmx 5/22/08 4:24 PM Page 7
METRO HALIFAX Founded in 1749, Nova Scotia’s capital city, Halifax, is brimming with history, culture, and cuisine. As you explore our delicious culinary adventures surrounded by wonderful 18th and 19th century architecture, you’ll discover old world charm with a new world pulse. RESTAURANTS Chives Canadian Bistro Crown Bistrot, Delta Halifax Hotel Fan’s Restaurant Fid Five Fishermen Gio Grafton Street Dinner Theatre Inn On The Lake Jane’s On The Common Little Fish Restaurant & Oyster Bar McKelvie’s “Delishes Fishes Dishes” Murphy’s Restaurant O’Carroll’s Saege Bistro Salty’s Scanway Catering & Pastry Shop Stone Street Café, Delta Barrington ‘Stories’ At The Halliburton Sweet Basil Bistro
PRODUCERS Acadian Maple Products Acadian Seaplants Clearwater Lobster Farmers Cooperative Dairy Ltd. Fireside Kitchen Fisherman’s Market International Garrison Brewing Company Propeller Brewing Company Sweet Spot Chocolate Shop
PG 6 7 7 7 8 9 9 9 9 10 10 10 10 11 11 11 12 12 12
PG 6 6 6 7 8 8 8 10 12
METRO HALIFAX 1) ACADIAN MAPLE PRODUCTS
3 ) CHIVES CANADIAN BISTRO
13578 Peggy’s Cove Road Upper Tantallon, Nova Scotia 902•826•2312 Toll free: 1•888•276•2753 www.acadianmaple.com
1537 Barrington Street Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•420•9626 www.chives.ca
Acadian Maple Products is a wild crafted gourmet food producer and distributor. Our specialty is pure Nova Scotia maple syrup but we also offer a whole line of other products including: sugar, candy, maple barbeque sauce, maple cream, maple coffee, and much more! We are a family owned and operated business that has been offering Nova Scotia and the rest of the world quality wild crafted gourmet foods for over 20 years. Drop by to learn more about our maple syrup product and sample one of our quality maple products! Present your copy of the 2008 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide and receive a large steaming cup of our Maple or Maple Cinnamon coffee and product tasting free!
2) ACADIAN SEAPLANTS 30 Brown Avenue Dartmouth, Nova Scotia 902•468•2840 www.acadianseaplants.com Acadian Seaplants Limited, the largest land-based commercial seaweed producer in the world, is proud of its premium quality Aka, Ao and Kiku Hana-nori™cultivated seaweeds, which are excellent for use in Kaiso Salads, Sashimi garnishes, soup and noodle dishes. Hana-nori™ is an exclusive seaweed from Canada that is healthy, delicious and pure.
Chives Canadian Bistro has become a name trusted for quality among Halifax’s dining community. Our desire to bring an extraordinary casual dining experience has set new standards for restaurants in our community. Guests have come to expect an everchanging menu at Chives. We focus on utilizing fresh, in-season and local product in our menus. Chef Craig Flinn looks first to Nova Scotia for our ingredient base, then to the rest of the Maritimes to create our “Canadian Bistro” menus. Chives now operates a café next door called Ciboulette Café and Catering.
4 ) CLEARWATER LOBSTER 757 Bedford Highway Bedford, Nova Scotia & the Halifax Robert L. Stanfield International Airport Enfield, Nova Scotia 902•443•0333 or 902•873•4509 www.clearwater.ca Clearwater’s conveniently located retail stores are stocked with fresh seafood and accessories to serve every seafood requirement. Whether you're travelling near or far, we will package it properly to suit your needs, and since we are open 7 days a week, it makes it possible to pick up fresh fish at any time. The next time you are in the mood for lobster and seafood, “taste the Clearwater difference.”
METRO HALIFAX 5) CROWN BISTROT, DELTA HALIFAX HOTEL
7) FARMERS COOPERATIVE DAIRY LTD.
1990 Barrington St. Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•425•6700 www.deltahalifax.com
745 Hammonds Plains Road Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•835•4005 www.farmersdairy.ca
Delta Halifax's Crown Bistrot offers regional favourites including our Four Course lobster dinner – an appetizer bucket of mussels, a cup of creamy seafood chowder, a pound and a quarter wild Nova Scotia lobster finished off with delicious strawberry shortcake. We make great effort to seek out local farmers, fishers and other producers who demonstrate the same care and attention refining our ingredients as we do preparing them. Can’t decide which of our delectable appetizers to choose from? Well, we will offer a complimentary appetizer sampler platter for every two entrees chosen, that way you can taste a little of everything!!
Farmers Dairy originated back in the 1920s, and became a cooperative dairy in 1961. Owned by over 200 dairy farmers, Farmers Dairy produces a wide range of dairy and dairy related products supplying thousands of residential, retail and foodservice customers throughout Atlantic Canada.
6) FAN’S RESTAURANT 451 Windmill Road Dartmouth, Nova Scotia 902•469•9165 Fan’s Restaurant is the only restaurant in Nova Scotia that specializes in Peking Cuisine. Peking Cuisine refers to dishes prepared for the past imperials by master chefs recruited from all over China. The specialized food preparation methods focus on using the freshest possible ingredients. Enjoy chef recommendations such as Peking Chicken, Ginger Beef, Palace Chicken and Lobster Special.
8) FID 1569 Dresden Row Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•422•9162 www.fidcuisine.ca FID restaurant is a carefully orchestrated celebration of locally grown food and is dedicated to its enjoyment. Chef Dennis Johnston’s constantly evolving dishes showcase the freshest ingredients in his Franco-Asian cuisine and constantly “wow” your palate. Under the direction of maître d’ Monica Bauché, FID becomes an intimate and sophisticated dining experience you will not want to miss.
METRO HALIFAX 9) FIRESIDE KITCHEN 3430 Prescott Street Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•454•7389 www.prescottgroup.ca Established in 1979, Fireside Kitchen produces the most tempting all natural jams and sauces using Nova Scotia berries. Fireside Kitchen is a business of Prescott Group, a non-profit agency that combines the operation of business enterprises with programs and services for adult clients who are intellectually challenged. Indulge in any one of our quality preserves, including Blueberry or Bumbleberry Jam, Brandied Cranberry & Orange Sauce, Cranberry or Apple Chutney, Brandied Blueberry Conserve, Hot & Spicy Apple Relish and many more!
10) FISHERMEN’S MARKET INTERNATIONAL 607 Bedford Highway Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•443•4374 www.fishermansmarket.ca Fisherman's Market, located on the Bedford Highway in Halifax, Nova Scotia, is a wholesaler, retailer, and worldwide exporter of fresh, frozen, smoked and salted seafood, and live or frozen Atlantic lobster. Fisherman’s Market is a diverse operation. The company is involved in every aspect of the fishery, from fishing and processing to export, retail sales and distribution. The bounty served up by the sea is truly breathtaking in its variety. From shark to squid and from prawns to lobster, if it comes out of the sea, it can be found at Fisherman’s Market. Be sure to try Fisherman’s Market’s line of smoked seafood. Seabright Smoke House products include hot and cold smoked salmon, mackerel, scallops and shrimp, all of which are smoked daily on site by one of our two smoke houses.
11) FIVE FISHERMEN 1740 Argyle Street Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•422•4421 www.fivefishermen.com Dine in one of the most historical buildings in Halifax. Awarded “Restaurant of the Year 2007" and voted Best Seafood Restaurant in Halifax 5 years running, the Five Fishermen has the largest and most recognized “Nova Scotia Wine Menu” in Nova Scotia. Indulge in Halifax’s finest selection of seafood from fresh lobster, Digby scallops, Malpeque oysters, Atlantic salmon, haddock, halibut & much, much more. And a visit to this landmark wouldn’t be complete without indulging in our famous Mussel Bar.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX LIGHTHOUSE OF THE CONTINENT* Canada's first lighthouse was built at Louisbourg in 1734. But the oldest operating lighthouse in North America is on Sambro Island at the mouth of Halifax harbour. It was began lighting the way in 1760. 8
12) GARRISON BREWING COMPANY 1149 Marginal Road Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•453•5343 www.garrisonbrewing.com Taste the difference fresh all-natural ingredients and no preservatives makes in craft-brewed ale; enjoy sampling our products fresh on tap in the character hospitality room and retail store; and take home a few of our many beers and craft-brewed sodas in a handy “Mixed 6” box. Be sure to sample the intensely hoppy “Imperial Pale Ale,” 2007 Canadian Beer of the Year. Present your copy of this guide and receive 10% off all store merchandise purchases!
METRO HALIFAX 13) GIO 1725 Market Street Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•425•1987 www.giohalifax.com Dubbed “a foodie’s adventure,” Gio shines on the cutting edge of Halifax’s dining scene. Voted one of Canada’s best top new restaurants in 2007, Gio’s talented and passionate team of culinarians utilize the best ingredients Nova Scotia has to offer – from fresh herbs to organic meats. The global, new age inspired menu changes rapidly with the seasons to ensure only the freshest in-season ingredients are used. An encompassing menu is presented in an atmosphere that is modern and chic, featuring the warmth of exotic wood, funky objects d’art and high-style comfort. 2008 CAA/AAA Four Diamond Award winner.
14) GRAFTON STREET DINNER THEATRE 1741 Grafton Street Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•425•1961 www.graftonstdinnertheatre.com Grafton Street Dinner Theatre is Halifax's most unique dining experience. Mixing improvisational comedy with the music of the time, Grafton Street Dinner Theatre reproduces the sights, sounds and atmosphere of any given year in the history of this century. While being enveloped by the mood you can experience the taste and flavour of Nova Scotia Seafood Chowder, Salmon, Chicken or Beef, a delightful apple dessert or decadent cheesecake. Interactive comedy, a talented cast and great food await – what a performance!
16) JANE`S ON THE COMMON
15) INN ON THE LAKE 3009 Highway #2 Fall River Nova Scotia 902•861•3480 www.innonthelake.com
2394 Robie Street Halifax, Nova scotia 902•431•5683 www.janesonthecommon.com
Menu items follow a seasonal theme and give emphasis to Nova Scotia traditions. Fresh locally grown produce is used in many entree items, which enhance the flavours of our seafood, chicken, steak and pasta dishes. Guests can choose from an array of mouthwatering items such as the Inn's fantastic Scotch Salmon made from fresh Atlantic salmon. The only thing that rivals the food served is the attentiveness and friendliness of our welcoming staff.
Jane’s on the Common is a small licensed neighbourhood bistro overlooking the Halifax Commons. Jane’s is known for its fresh, local, fromscratch menu and friendly service. Our popular weekend brunch favourites include Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict on a sweet potato biscuit and Ricotta Pancakes with Nova Scotia Maple Syrup. Daily soup, lunch and dinner inspirations make use of in-season local ingredients, complimenting the small, but often changing menus. We are open for lunch and dinner and brunch on weekends. Closed Mondays. No reservations.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX HAPPY HOUR* In 1752, Michael Franklin arrived in Halifax looking for a business opportunity. He opened a rum shop and used the town crier to advertise. "Free rum to all, before 8 o'clock in the morning every day except Sunday, for one month." He eventually became governor. 9
METRO HALIFAX 17) LITTLE FISH RESTAURANT & OYSTER BAR 1740 Argyle Street Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•425•4025 www.littlefishrestaurant.ca Join in the fun at one of Halifax’s most popular seafood restaurants and indulge in our famous “Belgium Beer Battered” Fish & Chips and our popular Oyster Bar (for those planning ahead Oyster Happy Hour is 4-6pm daily!). Little Fish offers masterful attention to detail, impeccable service and fabulous fresh fish and seafood in a friendly, atmosphere. Enjoy a glass from our large Nova Scotia wine selection or one of our premium Belgium beers on our patio. Located in the Five Fishermen building. Open for Lunch & Dinner.
18) McKELVIE’S “DELISHES FISHES DISHES” 1680 Lower Water Street Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•421•6161 www.mckelvies.com If you ask a Haligonian (someone from Halifax) about great seafood, there’s a good chance you’ll hear the name McKelvie’s. Seafood has always been our passion since renowned restaurateur Robert McKelvie first opened the doors in 1980, and we’re still the downtown favourite of locals and visitors! The menu focuses on our fresh bounty from the Atlantic, with offerings ranging from the traditional to the exotic. In addition to our “delishes fishes dishes” you’ll find plenty of pastas, sizzling steaks and tempting chicken dishes too.
19) MURPHY’S RESTAURANT 1751 Lower Water Street Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•420•1015 www.murphysonthewater.com Conveniently located in the heart of the Halifax waterfront, Murphy’s Restaurant, renowned for its celebrated lobster, offers a wonderful selection of fresh, Nova Scotia seafood. Relax in our large outdoor patio that extends out into the harbour, and take in all of the wonderful sites along the water. If time permits, join the Harbour Queen 1 Dinner Cruise, departing daily for a two-hour buffet dinner and harbour tour.
20) O’CARROLL’S 1860 Upper Water Street Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•423•4405 www.ocarrolls.com For more than a quarter century, O’Carroll’s has provided two distinct takes on the Maritime experience in the heart of Halifax’s Historic properties. The comfortably elegant dining room is renowned for its superb seafood, steak, lamb and duck and the smart casual Irish Pub provides live Maritime entertainment nightly, an extensive menu of fresh seafood and upscale pub classics, twenty-two beers on tap and a great selection of wine and scotch. “Among the best places to satisfy seafood cravings” - The New York Times.
METRO HALIFAX 21) PROPELLER BREWING COMPANY 2015 Gottingen Street Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•422•7767 www.drinkpropeller.ca Propeller Brewing Company is Nova Scotia’s best selling microbrewery. Their International award winning, all-natural British-style ales are available at liquor stores, fine bars and restaurants throughout Nova Scotia. Ask for an Extra Special Bitter or an India Pale Ale, the Province's two best selling microbrewed beers, or drop by the downtown brewery and retail store to sample their fresh craft ales or any of their non-alcoholic, all natural sodas.
22) SAEGE BISTRO 5883 Spring Garden Road Adjacent to the Public Gardens Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•429•1882 www.saege.ca Another spectacular restaurant from the Simensen food empire. An award-winning and inviting upscale neighborhood bistro. Enjoy seasonal flavours from the eclectic and modern menu. The stone fireplace solarium filled with windows, comforting colors and trickling waterfall sets the mood for the creative cuisine and wines. Private or corporate dining available as well in “Purple Saege”; a unique dining room with its own private entrance. Join us for lunch, dinner and weekend brunch!
23) SALTY’S 1869 Upper Water Street Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•423•6818 www.saltys.ca 2003 Taste of Nova Scotia Restaurant of the Year! Salty’s is located at the end of a 19th century wharf, known as the Privateers, on the picturesque Halifax waterfront. Salty’s is best known for our fresh-fromthe-water seafood. Enjoy any of the local varieties of fish or fresh lobster from our own tank! Our calamari with a Tabasco honey sauce is a must when dining at Salty’s. If you really want to be close to the water - enjoy our waterside patio, open May - October. Or, enjoy the most spectacular views on Halifax Harbour from the comfort of our inside dining rooms.
24) SCANWAY CATERING & PASTRY SHOP 6088 Quinpool Rd Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•425•6806 www.scanwaycatering.com Scanway Catering has provided high quality, fullservice off-site catering since 1981. Our unique catering service is designed for people who appreciate style, quality and casual elegance. Unni and Geir Simensen, together with their team, take great pride that their clients come to Scanway because they trust them to deliver the world-class cuisine and innovative presentation that turns every function catered into an event, creating lasting memories for their guests. Come and experience some take-home favourites from their Pastry Shop. 11
METRO HALIFAX 25) STONE STREET CAFÉ, DELTA BARRINGTON
26) ‘STORIES’ AT THE HALLIBURTON
1875 Barrington Street Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•420•6544 www.deltabarrington.com
5184 Morris Street Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•444•4400 www.storiesdining.com
Winner of two food and wine pairing awards, The Stone Street Café demonstrates all the wonderful things about the Maritimes! Try our signature Pan Seared Digby Scallops served with lobster risotto or "Atlantic Choice" beef tenderloin grilled to perfection. Can’t decide which of our delectable appetizers to choose from? Well, we will offer a complimentary appetizer sampler platter for every two entrees chosen, that way you can taste a little of everything!
'Stories' restaurant features inventive regional cuisine in intimate dining rooms. In the summer months, guests enjoy cocktails and light fare in the garden courtyard. Chef Scott Vail has crafted a diverse menu that is ever changing. Catering to both the hotel's international clientele and the metropolitan residents of Halifax's downtown, Vail's menu reflects his commitment to quality and innovation. It's up-to-the-minute cuisine with an East Coast twist.
27) SWEET BASIL BISTRO 1866 Upper Water Street Historic Properties Halifax, Nova Scotia 902•425•2133 www.sweetbasilbistro.ca Intimate and cozy spring to mind when describing Sweet Basil Bistro. The cornerstone to Sweet Basil’s success is that the Simensen’s believe that only the freshest highest quality ingredients are used in every dish and that the presentation of each dish is always innovative, creative and perfect.
28) SWEET SPOT CHOCOLATE SHOP 601 Highway #2 Elmsdale, Nova Scotia 902•883•7417 866•526•1609 Born out of a desire for creamy fudge and not finding what they were looking for, Nancy and Greg McTiernan conceived the idea to make their own. The response to selling handmade fudge in their existing gift store was so positive that they decided to transform the shop into a traditional candy store. After studying the art of candy making from a master chocolatier/candy maker, they perfected the craft and made their own. In December 2006, they opened their own candy store consisting of a wide variety of handmade chocolates, new and old fashioned candy, and of course, their now famous creamy fudge. The Sweet Spot Chocolate Shop has taken them in many directions from providing corporate gift giving, to special events and weddings.
27888 Guide.fmx 5/22/08 3:26 PM Page 15
SOUTH SHORE From authentic fishing villages, white sandy beaches, island-studded bays to our famous lighthouses, culinary adventures are waiting around every turn. Many of Nova Scotia’s best culinary secrets are kept in the historic towns spread over our winding shores. RESTAURANTS Charlotte Lane Dauphinee Inn Fleur de Sel Restaurant Lane’s Privateer Inn Oak Island Resort - La Vista Dining Room Old Fish Factory Restaurant & Ice House Bar Quarterdeck Beachside Villas & Grill Shore Club Lobster Suppers Sou’wester Gift Shop & Restaurant The Innlet Café & Restaurant Trattoria Della Nonna White Point Beach Lodge PRODUCERS Indian Point Marine Farms Ltd. Lunenburg County Winery The Herb Garden At Bonny Lea Farm Van Dyk’s Blueberry Juice
PG 14 14 14 15 15 15 16 16 16 17 17 17 PG 14 15 16 17
SOUTH SHORE 29) CHARLOTTE LANE
30) DAUPHINEE INN
31) FLEUR DE SEL
13 Charlotte Lane Shelburne, Nova Scotia 902•875•3314 www.charlottelane.ca
167 Shore Club Road Hubbards, Nova Scotia 902•857•1790 Toll free: 1•800•567•1790
53 Montague Street Luneneburg, Nova Scotia 902•640•2121 877•723•SALT(7258) www.fleurdesel.net
1999 Taste of Nova Scotia Restaurant of the Year! People have been flocking from miles around to enjoy the innovative cuisine and warm hospitality since Swiss Chef Roland Glauser and his wife Kathleen opened "Charlotte Lane" 13 years ago. Enjoy famous Maritime seafood, creative meat dishes, flavourful pastas, refreshing salads, delectable Swiss specialties and luscious desserts. Savour the relaxed atmosphere in the cozy restaurant or under the umbrella of great old trees on the garden patio. Open for Lunch (11:30am - 2:30pm) and Dinner (5:00 - 8:00pm). Closed Sundays & Mondays. Reservations recommended.
2000 Taste of Nova Scotia Restaurant of the Year! The Dauphinee Inn is ideally nestled on the shores of Hubbards Cove. Our "award winning" dining room serves the freshest in local seafood, from creamy chowder to melt in your mouth haddock and salmon, to hot juicy lobsters, and jumbo scallops and shrimp. Be sure to check out our famous Hot Rock dining, where you cook your own meal on a slab of granite right at the table! The taste and smell will leave lasting memories. We complement our meals with fine wines and fresh herbs and vegetables from our own garden.
Fleur de Sel Restaurant, located in the heart of historic Lunenburg, is known for its impeccable service and taste. With an ever-evolving menu focusing on fresh local seafood, produce and meats, Chef Martin Ruiz Salvador, winner of the Nova Scotia Gold Medal Plates Competition, uses his French training to highlight local ingredients. Voted one of Canada's Top Ten New Restaurants by enRoute Magazine, reviewed with a two star rating by Where To Eat In Canada and awarded the prestigious Four Diamond Award by AAA/CAA, Fleur de Sel is not to be missed. Open April - December. Reservations are encouraged.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX THE POWER OF BREAD* Bread is a staple of life. In Nova Scotia, it meant even more. It was believed that if you saved a bun baked on Good Friday let it dry up and kept it safe, your house would never burn and the ship you sailed in would never sink. 14
32) INDIAN POINT MARINE FARMS LTD. 82 Indian Point Road Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia 902•624•6472 www.indianpointmussels.ca NATURALLY GROWN, NATURALLY GOOD. Indian Point Marine Farms Ltd. has been producing rope-cultured mussels in the waters of Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia since 1982. During that period we have developed a reputation for great quality and great taste. Our mussels are cleaned and graded in our federally inspected facility at scenic Indian Point Lunenburg Co., just 5 km from the town of Mahone Bay. On site we have a retail store where our mussels, and now our farmed live scallops, may be purchased. We are also members of the Halifax Farmers Market and can be found there every Saturday morning. We hope that you will visit us and we wish to extend an invitation to the 2nd annual Mahone Bay/Indian Point Mussel Festival on May 17th and 18th, 2008.
SOUTH SHORE 33) LANE’S PRIVATEER INN
34) LUNENBURG COUNTY WINERY
35) OAK ISLAND RESORTLA VISTA DINING ROOM
27-33 Bristol Avenue Liverpool, Nova Scotia 902•354•3456 Toll free: 1•800•794•3332 www.lanesprivateerinn.com
RR #3 Mahone Bay Nova Scotia 902•644•2415 www.canada-wine.com
36 Treasure Drive Western Shore, Nova Scotia 902•627•2600, Ext. 331 www.oakislandresortandspa.com
This Privateer’s mansion, built in 1798 has been operated by three generations of the Lane family for the past 46 years. The main dining room features works by Nova Scotia artists and is flanked by Snug Books & Gourmet Shop. Enjoy a pint of local stout in the pub or dinner on the two level stone patio overlooking the Mersey River. We have an onsite bakery and an extensive wine list. Check our website for live entertainment in the pub.
The winery sits on a drumlin surrounded by Acadian forest and a multitude of lakes in the community of Newburne, nestled along the north branch of the LaHave River. Located at Hackmatack Farm, a commercial highbush blueberry farm, the winery produces 26 different 100% Nova Scotia grown fruit wines! Come take a pleasant drive into the country and visit us, to taste wine, to pick berries, picnic, or tour the winery and Nova Scotia craft store. A selection of our wines is available at NSLC stores throughout the province.
Discover dining treasures at Oak Island Resort. Relax in La Vista Dining Room with its panoramic views of Oak Island and Mahone Bay. The friendly staff welcomes you to enjoy a variety of traditional Nova Scotia dishes such as our Planked Salmon, brushed with maple butter. Present your copy of the 2008 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide and enjoy a table d’hôte menu for $30.00.
36) OLD FISH FACTORY RESTAURANT & ICE HOUSE BAR 68 Bluenose Drive Lunenburg, Nova Scotia 902•634•3333 Toll free: 1•800•533•9336 www.oldfishfactory.com Housed in the buildings of a former fish processing plant, The Old Fish Factory is located on Lunenburg's historic waterfront at The Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic. Come experience the freshest local Atlantic Seafood while enjoying the outstanding view of Lunenburg's harbour from our dining room or wharfside patio. We are committed to serving local friends and travelers a hearty meal in an inviting and hospitable atmosphere. And, be sure to stop by for our Annual Summer Lobster Festival!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX CROSS COUNTRY TRAVELS* In 1927, two men from Amherst jumped into a Model T Ford and set out to travel across Canada. But the car had no motor. It was towed from Halifax to Vancouver by 168 eager travelers who wanted to be part of the fun.
SOUTH SHORE 37) QUARTERDECK BEACHSIDE VILLAS & GRILL Historic Lighthouse Route 3 Summerville Beach Nova Scotia 902•683•2998 Toll free: 1•800•565•1119 www.quarterdeck.ns.ca “The oceanside view of surf and sand is delicious ... the food amazing.” Dine inside or outside on the Grill's allweather covered deck. Located on spectacular Summerville Beach, a mile long stretch of white sand, our luxuriously appointed Villas are open year-round. As for the food, let your palate decide. Try sumptuous fresh lobster tails stuffed with scallops and shrimp or our specialty “Planked Atlantic Salmon,” prepared over an open firepit. The Quarterdeck has a reputation as the Sandy South Shore’s finest for fresh seafood, great steaks, tempting desserts, plus a cellar full of wines!
38) SHORE CLUB LOBSTER SUPPERS 250 Shore Club Road Hubbards, Nova Scotia 902•857•9555 Toll free: 1• 800•567•1790 www.lobstersupper.com Celebrating over 70 years of serving the public, “The Original Nova Scotia Supper” offers a unique dining experience. As you enter through the “Folk Art Forest," past the crew cooking the lobster & mussels and over the “Red Carpet,” you can settle in for a feast of fresh boiled lobster, unlimited fresh cultivated mussels, all you can eat salad bar, homemade rolls, choice of dessert & coffee or tea. Steak, chicken, vegetarian and a children’s menu are available. Our goal is to serve the best lobster in a unique setting with friendly Nova Scotian Hospitality! Open Wednesday-Sunday, 4 - 8pm, May 11th - October 12th. Reservations highly recommended.
39) SOU’WESTER GIFT SHOP & RESTAURANT 178 Peggy’s Point Road Peggy’s Cove, Nova Scotia 902•823•2561 www.peggys-cove.com The Sou’wester Gift Shop and Restaurant overlooks the famous lighthouse at Peggy’s Cove and specializes in home-style meals. We feature our very special seafood chowder, fish and chips, haddock dinners and fresh cooked lobster from our own lobster pound. Dessert specialties include homemade gingerbread and apple crisp. During our off-season we welcome you to try our hot cider, just the thing on a blustery winter’s day! Or join us for breakfast hot off the grill until 12 noon each day. Come have a tasty dinner and enjoy Nova Scotia beauty at its very best!
40) THE HERB GARDEN AT BONNY LEA FARM Chester , Nova Scotia 902•275•5622 www.chesterbound.com/bonnylea The Herb Garden is located by the beautiful seaside village of Chester on Nova Scotia’s Lighthouse Route. At the Herb Garden we grow our herbs using organic growing methods to yield the healthiest and freshest produce to be used in our line of uniquely flavoured oils and vinegars. Some of our tempting selections for Taste of Nova Scotia include Chive Blossom, Lemon and Garlic, Basil and Red Wine, Thai Spice and Mediterranean vinegars. Our delicious herbal infused oils include Sunflower and Thyme, Cajun Spice, Italian Flavour, Pesto Flavour, Hot Pepper and Rosemary and Roasted Garlic oils.
SOUTH SHORE 41) THE INNLET CAFÉ & RESTAURANT
42) TRATTORIA DELLA NONNA
43) VAN DYK’S BLUEBERRY JUICE
44) WHITE POINT BEACH LODGE
249 Edgewater Street Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia 902•624•6363
9 King Street Lunenburg, Nova Scotia 902•640•3112 www.trattoriadellanonna.ca
Queens County Nova Scotia 902•682•2474 www.vandykblueberries.ca
Located in the center of Lunenburg on beautiful King Street, Trattoria Della Nonna is the only authentic Italian restaurant on the South Shore. Chef Terry Vassallo combines his unique take on modern cuisine and traditional Italian classics to create an exceptional dining experience. Some of the dishes you will find on the menu include wood fired pizza, fresh pastas, local seafood and traditional Italian dishes such as Osso Bucco and Saltimbocca, all of which can be paired with an extensive wine list representing all of the major wine regions of Italy. We offer thoughtful and attentive service on three different levels of dining. Have a drink in our busy bar area next to the wood fired pizza oven, on the sunny street level, or the romantic Cantina with the cozy Kachelofen (wood burning oven). Come and experience the food, wine and romance of Italy!
75 White Point Road #2 Queens County, Nova Scotia 902•354•2711 Toll free: 1•800•565•5068 www.whitepoint.com
Van Dyk's by Nature 100% Pure Wild Blueberry Juice. Our blueberry Juice is made from ONLY Grade "A" Nova Scotia wild blueberries and has NO water, sugar or preservatives added. This naturally delicious juice provides health-conscious consumers with a versatile, convenient way to benefit from the remarkable health properties of blueberries year-round. Remember Van Dyk's 100% Pure Wild Blueberry juice is “Wildly Nutritious!”
A handsome, historic property at the head of Mahone Bay houses The Innlet, whose casual but warmly stylish dining rooms and outdoor terrace overlook Mahone Bay's famous view of "The Three Churches." The Innlet's menu includes wonderful soups and stews, lots of seafood, Heavenly Chicken, Oven-braised Lamb Shank, Steaks & Chops, Glorious Goulash and homemade desserts. The Innlet prepares unpretentious, delightful and satisfying dishes of good value and consistently excellent quality.
Our Seawatch Dining Room overlooking the Atlantic Ocean invites you into our warm, comfortable surroundings. Beyond the crashing surf, trolling ocean birds, lobster boats and surfers decorate the ocean and make perfect dining companions. Here you'll enjoy fresh Nova Scotian inspired cuisine seasoned with maritime hospitality in spectacular surroundings. It's a great day at White Point!
27888 Guide.fmx 5/22/08 3:33 PM Page 20
YARMOUTH AND ACADIAN SHORE Welcome to the heart of our Acadian heritage, where the French culture is as filling as the cuisine. Enjoy colourful fishing villages, towering churches and unique music as you discover a delicious history over 400 years old. RESTAURANTS Manor Inn Lakeside Resort Rudderâ€™s Seafood Restaurant And Brew Pub Trout Point Lodge Ye Olde Argyler Lodge PRODUCERS Eel Lake Oyster Farm
PG 19 19 19 21 PG 19
YARMOUTH AND ACADIAN SHORE 45) EEL LAKE OYSTER FARM 6590 Highway #3 Lower Eel Brook Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia 902 • 648 • 3472 www.ruisseauoysters.com Twenty minutes outside of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia heading east on the Scenic Route 3 you'll find Eel Lake Oyster Farm nestled in the clean water of Eel Lake, Ste. Anne du Ruisseau. Each oyster sways comfortably back and forth in its floating habitat over each wave as the tide flows in and out of this tidal lake.
47) RUDDER’S SEAFOOD RESTAURANT AND BREW PUB 96 Water Street Yarmouth, Nova Scotia 902•742•7311 www.ruddersbrewpub.com Soak up the ambiance as you dine on fresh seafood and sip premium- brewed beers while enjoying the Nova Scotia South Shore’s only microbrewery restaurant. Enjoy a customer favourite, “Rudder’s fish cakes” on our large seasonal patio overlooking our private marina. Present your copy of this guide and receive a complimentary 5 oz. sample of one of our handcrafted full-bodied craft ales!
46) MANOR INN LAKESIDE RESORT
48) TROUT POINT LODGE
Route #1 Hebron, Nova Scotia 902•742•2487 1•888•MANORINN (626•6746) www.manorinn.com
189 Trout Point Road East Kemptville, Nova Scotia 902•482•8360 Reservations 902•761•2142 Lodge www.troutpoint.com
Historic Ambience, Special Service & Exceptional Food await you at Manor Inn. Casually elegant dining in our historic setting features Lobster, Digby Scallops, Atlantic Salmon, Filet Mignon and Chicken as well as homemade bread and desserts. Enjoy patio dining, piano music in the Commodore’s Dining Room and the cozy Commodore’s Lounge. We also offer deluxe accommodations featuring fireplaces and whirlpool baths on nine acres of landscaped water frontage with heated pool, hot tub and Rose Garden.
Luxury in the heart of the Canadian wilderness: Nestled next to the Tusket River, immediately adjacent to the Tobeatic Wilderness Area of southern Nova Scotia, Trout Point is undoubtedly the most luxurious wilderness lodge in Atlantic Canada, offering impeccable service and designed for absolute Haute Rustic comfort. Our dining room features a 120+ selection wine list, a prixfixe 4 course dinner menu that changes daily, and chefs praised by Food and Wine Magazine. Our house-smoked seafood, including salmon, scallops and swordfish is not to be missed!
YARMOUTH AND ACADIAN SHORE 49) YE OLDE ARGYLER LODGE 52 Ye Olde Argyler Rd. Lower Argyle, Nova Scotia 902•643•2500 866•774•0400 www.argyler.com Experience a gourmet getaway by the sea on the main deck overlooking Lobster Bay. Serving the best of Southwest Nova Scotia’s seafood in our fully licensed dining room. Some of our specialties include Lobster and scallop thermidor, slow cooked root beer barbeque baby back ribs, lobster risotto and grilled salmon with balsamic glaze. Take in the pleasure of the spectacular sunsets behind the surrounding islands from our airy wrap around veranda while enjoying your favourite beverage. Open Wednesday thru Sunday 4pm - 9pm and Sunday Brunch 11am - 2pm, May 15 October 15.
CRANBERRY APPLE CRISP
NOVA SCOTIA CRAB CAKES
unpeeled, chopped apples
The key to delicate crab cakes is to use lots of crab meat relative to the other ingredients.
egg dry mustard
15 mL 10 mL
red wine vinegar
all- purpose flour
In a 8 inch ( 20 cm ) square baking dish, combine apples, cranberries and granulated sugar, and mix thoroughly to blend. In a small bowl, combine rolled oats, brown sugar, flour and nuts until well mixed. Add butter and mix with a fork until the mixture forms a coarse crumb. Spread crumb mixture evenly over the fruit. Bake in a preheated 350 ° F (180 ° C) oven for 1 hour or until fruit is tender. Serve hot with whipped cream or ice cream. Makes 8 servings.
10 mL 125 mL 50 mL
cooked crab meat
chopped fresh parsley
chopped green pepper
chopped red pepper
fresh, soft bread crumbs
In a food processor, blend the egg, dry mustard, lemon juice and vinegar until smooth. With the processor running, gradually add the vegetable and olive oil to the egg mixture to form a smooth dressing. In a mixing bowl, combine the dressing mixture with the crabmeat, along with the parsley, green and red peppers and onion, stirring to blend well. Blend in 2 cups (500 mL) of the breadcrumbs. Shape into patties by first forming into 3 inch (8 cm) balls, roll in remaining bread crumbs and then flatten out with your hands. Fry in a small amount of butter over medium heat until golden brown on both sides. Makes 4 servings.
Find more delicious recipes like this at www.tasteofnovascotia.com
27888 Guide.fmx 5/22/08 10:56 AM Page 23
FUNDY SHORE AND ANNAPOLIS VALLEY Savour a land of orchards and vineyards that’s embraced by the highest tides in world.The Fundy Shore and Annapolis Valley brings together Nova Scotia’s world-famous seafood with our equally famous food and wines. RESTAURANTS Best Western Aurora Inn Between The Bushes Restaurant Cocoa Pesto Bistro At The Woodshire Inn Paddy’s Brewpub & Rosie’s Restaurant Restaurant Composé Restaurant Le Caveau At Grand Pré Winery Tempest World Cuisine The Nova Scotian Emporium & Fireside Tea Room The Wooden Hog Restaurant PRODUCERS Agri-Growers Limited Blomidon Estate Winery EdenValley Farms /Valley House Farmer John’s Herbs Fox Hill Cheese House G.G. Smeltzer & Son Grand Pré Wines J. W. Mason & Sons Ltd. Just Us! Coffee Roastery & Museum Kings Produce Ltd. Meadowbrook Meat Market Noggins Corner Farm Market Nova Agri Nova Scotia Turkey Producers Marketing Board O’Neil Fisheries Sainte-Famille Wines Ltd. Scotian Gold Country Store, Apple Market And Garden Centre Stirling Fruit Farms Ltd. Webster Farms Ltd.
PG 22 22 27 30 30 31 32 32 32 PG 22 22 27 27 27 28 28 28 28 29 29 29 29 30 30 31 31 31 32
FUNDY SHORE AND ANNAPOLIS VALLEY 50) AGRI-GROWERS LIMITED 42 Highway 358 Port Williams, Nova Scotia 902•542•2263 www.agrigrowers.com Agri-Growers Limited is comprised of 8 farms, harvesting 4,500 acres and shipping 25,000,000 pounds of mixed fresh vegetables and fruit out of Nova Scotia's beautiful Annapolis Valley. Customer service is the number one priority as we strive to grow, pack and ship a wide range of high quality produce including cut & peeled mini carrots, fresh carrots, onions, cabbage, turnip, parsnip, apples, beets, strawberries, broccoli and cauliflower.
51) BEST WESTERN AURORA INN 831 Main Street Kingston, Nova Scotia 902•765•3306 www.bestwestern.com/ca/aurorainn The Best Western Aurora Inn Restaurant is a 65seat fully licensed dining room located in the Kingston/Greenwood area in the heart of the Annapolis Valley. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, our menu is sure to entice any visitor to experience and enjoy our elegant setting and great service. Our menu includes the finest steak and seafood in the area prepared by our chef. Come and enjoy our weekly Sunday Brunch Buffet.
52) BETWEEN THE BUSHES RESTAURANT 1225 Middle Dyke Road Centreville, Nova Scotia 902•582•3648 www.novaagri.com We are located amidst 60 scenic acres of high bush blueberries in the heart of the Annapolis Valley agricultural lands. Be sure to stop by for some Blueberry Apple Crisp, made from scratch in our kitchen using our highbush blueberries! Our salads and entrees feature unique condiments made on the premises such as our blueberry apple chutney, pickled pink onions, red pepper spread and blueberry based salad dressings. Several of these condiments are also available for sale at the restaurant.
53) BLOMIDON ESTATE WINERY 10318 Highway 221 Canning, Nova Scotia 902•582•7565 Toll free: 1•877•582•7565 www.blomidonwine.com Nestled on the edge of the Minas Basin near Canning, the picturesque Annapolis Valley, our beautiful setting offers a unique location for grape growing. We’re very proud of our 100% Nova Scotia grown Chardonnay as well as our award winning estate wines like L’Acadie Blanc and Baco Noir. Enjoy a stroll or a picnic in our scenic vineyard and visit our on-site wine shop to sample and purchase your favourite wines. Summer Hours 11am-6 pm daily. Off Season Hours-Please contact our wine shop. Tour Hours-By appointment only.
Been There Yet? You don’t know what you’re missing! Award-winning oceanside dining in a beautiful historic setting and private beaches with the warmest waters North of the Carolinas. Just minutes from Pictou and the closest accommodation to the PEI ferry, Pictou Lodge Resort features cozy, well appointed traditional log cabins, many complete with stone fireplaces. A visit to Pictou Lodge simply feels like a world away, where guests are treated with genuine warmth and sincerity. Stroll along the private beaches or take a paddle on Graham’s pond. Spend the afternoon flying a kite, or simply relax and experience the panoramic vistas along the Northumberland Strait. The unique oceanside dining experience in a relaxing ambience combines some of Nova Scotia’s best cuisine with awardwinning service. The menu is perfect for an intimate dinner for two or a family meal. Creations such as Northumberland Crab Cakes and Maple Planked Atlantic Salmon are made with fresh local seafood and produce.
It’s not just tourists who are raving about Pictou Lodge’s exceptional cuisine. Tuesday is known locally as “Prime Jazz Night” with a delicious Prime Rib special. Featuring Lobster Benedict and live entertainment, Sunday Brunch at the Lodge has become a Pictou County tradition. A popular seaside vacation destination, the property is an ideal location for conferences, meetings, weddings and receptions. For more than 80 years, the inviting atmosphere, exceptional service and excellent dining at Pictou Lodge Resort have been attracting celebrities and royalty including King George V, Clark Gable, and U.S. Secretary of State Ms. Condoleezza Rice in 2006. And we all enjoy a little royal treatment once in a while. Braeshore Road, Pictou 902•485•4322
Reservations p.s. Wait ’til you see the kites…
SALTY’S DINING Memories for a Lifetime
For many of us our fondest recollections of a great trip are the fantastic restaurants we ate at or those days spent gazing at unique and spectacular scenery. In Halifax, those great memories can both be had in a singular dining experience. Salty’s Restaurant is located at the end of a 19th century wharf, known as the Privateers in Halifax’s unique Historic Properties shopping area. From this vantage point, guests enjoy awe-inspiring views of Halifax’s world-famous harbour. But there is something about Salty’s that transcends even its ideal location. As guests walk through the front door or take their first step onto the restaurant’s spectacular outdoor patio, they are ushered into a relaxed and comfortable environment. Salty’s is one of those places where quick lunches turn into lazy afternoons soaking up the SALTY’S RESTAURANT
scenery, great food and drink and evenings out become lifetime memories. The menu at Salty’s is as big as the view. The downstairs menu features everything from classic beer battered fish and chips to steamed Atlantic lobster. Upstairs, the chef’s shine, as the menu includes a variety of culinary treats including Rack of Lamb, Nova Scotia’s famous Digby Scallops and of course lobster and steak. When in Halifax, be sure to find time to treat yourself to a day or evening of relaxed dining at Salty’s. With its great food, great view and relaxed environment, it is sure to become one of those memories that lasts a lifetime. 1869 Upper Water Street Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 1S9
Telephone: (902) 423-6818 www.saltys.ca
FUNDY SHORE AND ANNAPOLIS VALLEY 54) COCOA PESTO BISTRO AT THE WOODSHIRE INN 494 King Street Windsor, Nova Scotia 902•472•3300 www.cocoapesto.com The Woodshire Inn is an elegantly restored 1850s home with modern décor located in downtown Windsor, Nova Scotia. Our vocation is to feed, nurture and pamper. Set amidst a lush courtyard garden, The Woodshire is also home to Cocoa Pesto Bistro. The Bistro reflects the seasonal abundance of this agricultural area, with three licensed dining rooms offering local and international wines, lunch and dinner service as well as off-site catering for special events. An applewood fired smoker provides diners with the opportunity to enjoy such favourites as dry-rub pork ribs, smoky pulled pork on a bun and signature sauces such as house-made smoked sweet pepper compote. Cocoa Pesto Bistro is opened for dinner service, seven nights from 5:00pm – 9:00pm. Lunch is served Monday through Friday from 11:30am – 2:00pm. Brunch is served Saturday and Sunday from 11:30am - 2:00pm. Reservations are recommended.
55) EDENVALLEY FARMS/ VALLEY HOUSE
56) FARMER JOHN’S HERBS
57) FOX HILL CHEESE HOUSE
30 Chipman Drive Kentville, Nova Scotia 902•678•8323 Toll free: 1•800•565•3772 www.edenvalleyfarms.com
44 North Medford Road Canning, Nova Scotia 902•582•3252 www.farmerjohnsherbs.com
RR #1,1660 Lower Church Street Port Williams Nova Scotia 902•542•3599 www.foxhillcheesehouse.com
The EdenValley Farms™ brand name can be found in grocery stores throughout Atlantic Canada. Our growers and employees take great pride in producing top quality, fresh chicken, turkey, and egg products.
Yes, there really is a "Farmer John." John and his family have farmed in the Annapolis Valley since 1960 and produce what they believe to be the world’s finest summer savory. They offer a convenient and nostalgic reminder of traditional Nova Scotia flavours – Nova Scotia summer savory, as well as savory stuffing, seafood chowder and seafood spice mixes. A certified organic processor with MCOG (Maritime Certified Organic Growers), these family produced products feature all natural ingredients. Please check the website for product locations throughout Canada and New England.
Fox Hill Farm is a sixth generation family farm nestled in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia. Located one hour from Halifax, we are surrounded by lush fields and apple orchards and a spectacular view of the Minas Basin and Cape Blomidon. At Fox Hill Cheese House, we specialize in cheddar, plain and herbed havarti and Gouda, quark and fresh curds, Parmesran, a Parmesan style cheese, feta, and natural yogurt. We are excited about our newest product: gelato, an Italian homemade ice cream! All Foxhill products are made strictly from the milk of our own 50-head herd of Holstein cows. Viewing window, sampling, panoramic view from our timber frame deck and group tours. FROM SEED TO GRASS TO MILK TO CHEESE TO YOU.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX A TASTE FOR DULSE* Who would have thought that seaweed would become a delicacy? But with 75 percent as much vitamin C as an orange, it's finding its way into gourmet shops and health food stores.
FUNDY SHORE AND ANNAPOLIS VALLEY 58) G.G. SMELTZER & SON 39 Robinson Road Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia 902•758•2117 Toll free: 888-471-5777 We are proud to produce premium quality liquid and cream honey products. And, at a time when consumers value homegrown taste, honey definitely fits the bill. Honey is a perfect natural substitute for sugar. Put honey on your cereal or use it instead of sugar when baking muffins, cookies or cakes. Nova Scotia Honey is a treat at any time of year, so pick up some today at the following outlets: Avery's Farm Markets, Stirling Fruit Farms, Hennigar's Farm Market (Wolfville), Kenny's Farm Market (Wolfville), Grand Pre Winery, Forsyth's Farm Market (Berwick) and From My Nova Scotia Heart (Glen Haven).
59) GRAND PRÉ WINES 11611 Highway #1 Grand Pré, Nova Scotia 902•542•1753 Toll free: 1•866•GPWINES www.grandprewines.com At Domaine de Grand Pré, you can enjoy the full winery experience: stroll through the vineyards; taste awardwinning wines; learn about grape growing, wine making and the tasting of wine; visit our wine shop where you will also find fine cheeses, smoked meats and chocolates, local arts and crafts, and wine accessories; or just come for a relaxing afternoon with family and friends. All of our products are made from 100% Nova Scotia grown grapes or apples, making them the perfect match for our local cuisine. Present your copy of the 2008 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide and receive “2-for-1” Tour & Tasting. Value $6. Guided Tours are offered from May to October three times daily at 11am, 3pm and 5pm.
60) J. W. MASON & SONS LTD.
61) JUST US! COFFEE ROASTERY & MUSEUM
836 Windsor Back Road Windsor, Nova Scotia 902•798•3689 www.masonapples.com
11865 Highway #1 Grand Pré, Nova Scotia 902•542•7474 Toll free: 1•888•668•8436 www.justuscoffee.com
Whoever said, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" must have had Wesley Mason's family in mind. Apple growing has been a part of the family tree since 1939! Now with over 600 acres of our own, added to the output of more than 20 local farms, we are determined to make Mason's select Valley apples available to more and more people. Look for our newest product - 100% pure apple juice! We're excited about our juice because it's not like any other and it is Kosher approved. There is a straw inside the pouch so there will be no more lost straws at lunchtime. Look for it in the produce section at participating retailers.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX WORLD-RENOWNED ANNAPOLIS ROYAL* In 2004, the United Nations searched for the most liveable small town in the world and discovered it to be the quaint little town of Annapolis Royal.
The Company started in 1996 as Canada’s first certified Fair Trade coffee roaster and is now the largest fair trade worker-owned co-op in Canada. Just Us! is a play on the word justice, and as a worker-owned co-op, we believe in “people and the planet before profits.” We import Fair Trade and organically grown coffee, tea, sugar and chocolate. All of our products are certified Fair Trade by Transfair Canada. Our entire organization is certified by Organic Certified Producers and Processors (OCPP).
FUNDY SHORE AND ANNAPOLIS VALLEY 62) KINGS PRODUCE LTD.
63) MEADOWBROOK MEAT MARKET
64) NOGGINS CORNER FARM MARKET
Canning, Nova Scotia 902•582•3387 www.kingsproduce.ns.ca
318 Pleasant Valley Road Berwick, Nova Scotia 902•538•1106 www.meadobrookmeatmarket.com
10009 Highway #1 Greenwich, Nova Scotia 902•542•5515 www.nogginsfarm.ca
At Meadowbrook Meat Market, we raise our hogs from farrow to finish on an all-natural grain feed with an Omega 3 component; thus an all natural pork is produced. We do all the processing of our products on our farm in a new provincially inspected facility. Our signature product is our regular and fully cooked ham. Our smoked products use a natural wood smoke produced from sawdust. Receive a free pound of our store-made fresh sausage with a $10 or more purchase of pork products. Choose from 10 varieties of fresh sausage, all filler and preservative free (Gluten free).
From crisp Annapolis Valley apples to fresh sweet corn, we have the Valley's finest selection of locally grown fruits and vegetables for you to enjoy. Our Tideview Vintage Cider revives a Nova Scotia cider tradition that goes back to the Acadian settlers of the 17th century. We have a seasonal agritourism program providing a day of family fun: join us at our interactive corn maze, family adventure area and u-pick pumpkins, apples and flowers. Come see the eagles on our historic nature trail, perfect for hiking yearround. We're located on the scenic Highway #1 in Greenwich, close to Wolfville and only an hour's drive from Halifax. We're open year-round from 8 am to 8 pm, so stop by! We look forward to serving you. Noggins Corner Farm Market - where wholesome food and friendly faces meet.
Perhaps there is something in the mist that swirls in from the Bay of Fundy. Or it might be the extra hours of sunshine we get here in the Annapolis Valley every year, but something gives our fruit and vegetables a very special flavour - a flavour you can taste! We proudly produce products such as "Kings of Nova Scotia" potatoes, “Randsland” broccoli, “Vita Bite” spinach, and cauliflower. Try some today!
65) NOVA AGRI 1225 Middle Dyke Road Centreville, Nova Scotia 902•582•1445 www.novaagri.com With our roots in family farming, Nova Agri has grown into a diverse and thriving operation. Farming approximately 2500 acres of land throughout the lush Annapolis Valley, we are committed to providing domestic and international markets with quality Country Magic® potatoes, yellow cooking onions, red onions and highbush blueberries. We are proud partners with many valley farms that supply Nova Agri with lettuce, carrots, strawberries, raspberries, cauliflower and brussels sprouts. Taste the freshness of Country Magic ® products, found locally at farm markets and grocery stores throughout Nova Scotia. Nova Agri is also the home of Blueberry Acres U-Pick and Between the Bushes Restaurant.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX DILL'S ATLANTIC GIANT The grand-daddy of all giant pumpkins can grow to an amazing 1400 pounds. The man behind the Giant? Howard Dill from beautiful Windsor, Nova Scotia.
FUNDY SHORE AND ANNAPOLIS VALLEY 66) NOVA SCOTIA TURKEY PRODUCERS MARKETING BOARD
68) PADDY’S BREWPUB & ROSIE’S RESTAURANT
969 Seminary Ave Canning, Nova Scotia 902•582•7877 www.novascotiaturkey.ca
42 Aberdeen Street Kentville, Nova Scotia 902•678•3199 www.paddyspub.ca
Turkey raised in Atlantic Canada is processed at ACA Co-op Limited under the brand label EdenValley Farms. When you see EdenValley turkey in your local grocer, you will know that it is a FRESH PRODUCT from Atlantic Canada.
67) O’NEIL FISHERIES 144 Water Street Digby, Nova Scotia 902•245•6528 Enjoy our Fresh Dulse – a traditional “taste of Nova Scotia”! Since the incorporation of O'Neil Fisheries in 1974, the company has continued to expand and adapt to changes within the industry. Because of our dedication to the highest caliber seafood products, the O'Neil Fisheries name has become trusted throughout North America as a quality seafood provider. Our Royal Fundy brand is a well-established market leader.
“Faith & Begorrah!” We are a traditional Irish country pub and family restaurant that has lots of character and plenty of charm to brighten your visit. Enjoy a wide selection of exceptional food prepared by our knowledgeable chefs. Specialties include Chicken Sesame Seed Salad, pulled pork sandwich, smoked ribs, Irish Stew and plenty of fresh fish dishes to name a few. Our own brewery crafts a variety of ales and lagers that are served fresh from the tanks. Make your trip to Kentville memorable by having an Irish experience without going to the Auld Sod!
69) RESTAURANT COMPOSÉ 235 St. George Street Close to the lighthouse Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia 902•532•1251 www.cafecompose.com Enjoy innovative, modern AUSTRIAN Cuisine with market fresh ingredients; a local bounty of Seafood is one of our specialties. Dine in or out in a perfect setting for your unique dining experience by candle light, in a tastefully decorated VIENNESE Style, and a spectacular view of the ocean. The restaurant is owned and operated by Austrian Chef Amanda Egle.
FUNDY SHORE AND ANNAPOLIS VALLEY 70) RESTAURANT LE CAVEAU AT GRAND PRÉ WINERY 11611 Highway #1 Grand Pré, Nova Scotia Toll free: 1•866•GP WINES www.grandprewines.com Located at Grand Pré Wines in the heart of the Annapolis Valley, Le Caveau specializes in global cuisine using seasonal local ingredients, matched with fine wines. Chef Jason Lynch and Restaurant Manager Beatrice Jurt treat guests to an exceptional Nova Scotia dining experience, with emphasis on regional Nova Scotia product. Whether you enjoy a glass of wine on the pergola or a meal in the dining room, you will be charmed by the unique atmosphere. Visit our restaurant in the heart of the Annapolis Valley; we’re located only 50 minutes from Halifax at the Grand Pré Winery just outside of Wolfville.
71) SAINTE-FAMILLE WINES LTD. Corner of Dudley Road and Hubley Park Lane Falmouth, Nova Scotia 902•798•8311 Toll free: 800•565•0993 www.st-famille.com Come experience one of Nova Scotia’s oldest family-owned vineyards, with wines produced from 100% Nova Scotian grown grapes. Enjoy winery signature varietals, including Old Vines Marechal Foch Reserve and Siegfried. Tours and tastings offered. Present this copy of your guide and receive a 10% discount on any wines purchased from our Sainte-Famille Wine shop.
72) SCOTIAN GOLD COUNTRY STORE, APPLE MARKET AND GARDEN CENTRE 7033 Highway #1 Coldbook, Nova Scotia 902•678•4438 www.scotiangold.com Located in Coldbrook, the heart of the Annapolis Valley, Scotian Gold is a cooperative owned by apple grower members. Scotian Gold is a leading supplier of quality Annapolis Valley apples to the Maritimes and exports to other regions in Canada and globally. Visitors and Valley residents have stopped at Scotian Gold for years to enjoy its famous ice cream cones while strolling the grounds. The Garden Centre supplies everything for your lawn and garden including its own brand of fertilizers formulated for Atlantic Canadian growing conditions. In the market you will find tasty apples, delicious Scotian Gold Apple Pies and apple products.
73) STIRLING FRUIT FARMS LTD. 10317 Highway # 1 Wolfville, Nova Scotia 902•542•3763 www.stirlingfruitfarms.ca Stirling Fruit Farms is a third generation family-owned and operated apple farm located in the beautiful Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia growing over 35 apple varieties! To experience some of these varieties, try one of our apple gift boxes, our famous “3 kinds of apple” pies (made with 100% Nova Scotia grown apples) or our Sweet Apple Cider. Present this copy of your guide and receive a 10% discount off your purchase at any of our farm markets located in Amherst, Bible Hill, Blue Acres and Wolfville.
FUNDY SHORE AND ANNAPOLIS VALLEY 74) TEMPEST WORLD CUISINE 117 Front Street Wolfville, Nova Scotia 902•542•0588 Toll free: 1•866•542•0588 www.tempest.ca The Best Restaurant in the Maritimes – Lifestyle Maritimes Magazine. Tempest is a fine dining restaurant that offers world-class cuisine with local flavour. It is owned and operated by Chef Michael Howell and wife Mary Harwell who have established a network of local purveyors, growers, winemakers, fishmongers and farmers to make sure we are sourcing the best possible ingredients to present to you. Consistently ranked as one of the finest restaurants in Atlantic Canada, Tempest is a leader in sustainability and quality. Our contemporary dining room seats 60 in a renovated historic building in beautiful Wolfville, NS. Only one hour from Halifax.
75) THE NOVA SCOTIAN EMPORIUM & FIRESIDE TEA ROOM 880 Prince Street Truro, Nova Scotia 902•893•8285 The Fireside Tea Room is located in the heart of Truro’s downtown shopping district. Enjoy lunch or dessert in this heritage building c. 1890 and take in the excellent array of giftware, collectables and fine Nova Scotia products in the gift shop. The features are soups made fresh daily, salads, seafood chowders and casseroles, frittatas and almost sinful home baked desserts! For the tea enthusiast, we offer 19 blends of teas, including several herbals.
76. THE WOODEN HOG RESTAURANT
77. WEBSTER FARMS LTD.
627 Prince Street Truro , Nova Scotia 902•895•0779
5859 Highway #1 Cambridge Station, Nova Scotia Toll free: 1•800•507•8844
Set with the ambiance of a Victorian Café – cozy, relaxing, warm and friendly. Healthy, savoury and delicious are our menu choices, complimented by freshbrewed traditional, specialty and European coffees, a selection of Nova Scotia wines and other fine vintage wines. Enjoy lunch selections such as Salmon Cakes and Mushrooms Neptune or dinner selections such as Chicken Cordon Bleu with a savoury mushroom sauce. Please be sure to visit our new air conditioned Wine and Scotch Bar, also specializing in Seafood and closed all day Sunday and Monday evening.
We are a third generation, diversified family farm centrally located in Cambridge, Kings County in Nova Scotia’s beautiful Annapolis Valley. We specialize in strawberry, raspberry, dry bean and rhubarb production. We also operate a seasonal mill for the manufacture of wooden berry boxes and flats. Our family has been involved in farming in the Annapolis Valley for the past 8 generations. We are dedicated to the production and marketing of top quality fruit and vegetables!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX KING OF SEAFOOD The largest lobster ever recorded weighed a whopping 43 pounds. If you want to figure out the age of a lobster, the rule of thumb is to multiply the weight by 4 and then add 3.
27888 Guide.fmx 5/22/08 3:34 PM Page 34
NORTHUMBERLAND SHORE There’s nothing like a lobster feast on a beach that touched by the warmest waters north of the Carolinas. Surrounding you are gently rolling farmlands, colourshops, unique festivals and delicious local fare that will invite you back time and time again. RESTAURANTS Alcove Bistro & Lounge Gabrieau’s Bistro Lobster Treat Restaurant Main Street Café Maritime Inn Antigonish Pictou Lodge Resort Sugar Moon Farm Sunrise Mercantile PRODUCERS Dalhousie Maple Products Jost Vineyards The Pork Shop
PG 34 34 35 35 35 35 36 PG 34 34 36
NORTHUMBERLAND SHORE 78) ALCOVE BISTRO & LOUNGE
80) GABRIEAU’S BISTRO
76 College Street Antigonish, Nova Scotia 902•863•2248 www.alcovebistro.ca
350 Main Street Antigonish, Nova Scotia 902•863•1925 www.gabrieaus.com
The Alcove Bistro & Lounge combines warm, welcoming ambiance with fine food aptly described as “International Fusion with a Local Flavour." Whether enjoying lunch, afternoon light fare, dinner or late night thin crust gourmet pizza, your experience is what matters most! Offering dining styles from casual to comfortable chic, we offer great food, fine wines and imported, domestic beer on tap.
2002 Taste of Nova Scotia Restaurant of the Year! Nestled in the Highland heart of Nova Scotia, Gabrieau's Bistro invites you to savour the innovative cuisine of Chef Mark Gabrieau. Drop by for a relaxing affordable lunch or gourmet evening dining. Enjoy a cocktail or a glass of wine from our extensive wine list on the patio with one of our fabulous salads, distinctive appetizers, hearty thin crust pizzas or delightful curry. Choose a unique entree featuring the finest of pork, beef, free-range chicken, seafood or local game and finish your meal with one of our decadent dessert creations.
79) DALHOUSIE MAPLE PRODUCTS 4436 East Side of West River Pictou, Nova Scotia 902•485•4526 www.novascotiamaplesyrup.com Dalhousie Maple Products started out as a hobby in the early 1990s. Since then it has evolved into a family-run operation, producing quality maple syrup. Maple syrup is a sweet gift of Mother Nature. It has become an integral part of our North American heritage. Every spring, Nova Scotia maple producers journey into their sugar woods to collect maple sap, a clear-like liquid. It is like fresh spring water, with barely a taste. As the sap is boiled, it begins to take on its distinctive maple flavour.
81) JOST VINEYARDS 48 Vintage Lane Malagash , Nova Scotia 902•257•2636 Toll free: 1•800•565•4567 www.jostwine.com Jost Vineyards is found along the picturesque Northumberland Strait, just off the Sunrise Trail in Nova Scotia. We utilize delicious Nova Scotia fruit, maple syrup and grapes for our Nova Scotia wines, creating wines that best speak of what Nova Scotia is – clean, beautiful, relaxing and exciting!
NORTHUMBERLAND SHORE 82) LOBSTER TREAT RESTAURANT 241 Post Road, on the Trans Canada Antigonish, Nova Scotia 902•863•5465 Enjoy Superb Nova Scotia food, hospitality and service in a country schoolhouse setting. Our personality, warmth and spirit have helped make this family-owned and operated restaurant successful for 34 years! Our menu features fresh seafood, steak, chicken, creative pastas and to finish, try our famous homemade coconut cream pie and warm German apple cake served with maple cream sauce!
83) MAIN STREET CAFÉ MARITIME INN ANTIGONISH 158 Main Street Antigonish Nova Scotia 902•863•4001 Toll free: 1•888•662•7484 www.maritimeinns.com The Main Street Café and Lounge, one of the best taste experiences in Antigonish, offers fantastic Taste of Nova Scotia inspired cuisine at reasonable prices. The menu includes unique seasonal recipes featuring our Chef’s Golden Brown Pan fried Haddock, Fire Grilled Steaks, and our Signature Bourbon and Molasses BBQ Baby back ribs. Put the finishing touches on your meal with a selection of our decadent desserts – New York Cheesecake, Crème Brule, and the Local’s Favourite Maple Pecan Bread Pudding.
84) PICTOU LODGE RESORT
85) SUGAR MOON FARM
Braeshore Road Pictou, Nova Scotia 902•485•4322 Toll free: 1•800•495•6343 www.pictoulodge.com
Alex MacDonald Road, Earltown, Nova Scotia 902•657•3348 Toll free: 1•866•81•MAPLE www.sugarmoon.ca
Enjoy a unique oceanside dining experience in an historic setting – authentic log cabin architecture, a large beachstone fireplace in an inviting ambience, and award-winning service. The menu is perfect for an intimate dinner for two or a family meal. Creations such as Northumberland Crab Cakes and Maple Planked Atlantic Salmon are made with fresh local seafood and produce. An extensive wine list to choose from and a large scotch selection to enjoy in the Oceanview Lounge. Sunday Brunch at the Lodge has become a Pictou County tradition, or treat your senses on Tuesday at Prime Jazz Night featuring our prime rib special, both with live entertainment.
Visit our sugar camp and restaurant and enjoy an all-day maple brunch featuring all you can eat organic wholegrain buttermilk pancakes and maple syrup, local artisanal sausages, maple mustard, our own maple baked beans, fresh biscuits and maple butter, fair trade coffee and more. As a member of Atlantic Economusee Network – Artisans at Work, guests can also learn more about our farm and maple syrup production. Tour the sugar camp, hike to the sugar woods, and shop in our maple store. And be sure to ask about our Chef Nights, a gourmet maple dining experience featuring guest chefs, wine tasting, and live music - all in a sugar camp setting!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX BLUEBERRIES ON A PEDESTAL Even though Nova Scotia recognizes the blueberry as the official provincial berry, the small town of Oxford is known as the Wild Blueberry Capital of Canada.
NORTHUMBERLAND SHORE 86) SUNRISE MERCANTILE 1631 Sunrise Trail, 2 km west of Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia 902•657•1094 www.sunmerc.com More than just a great place to dine in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere, Sunrise Mercantile is a true Nova Scotian experience. Enjoy breathtaking views of Tatamagouche Bay and try our signature North Shore Seafood Chowder: Hearty chunks of fresh crab, scallops, and haddock from the Northumberland Strait and surrounding Atlantic waters, complemented by seasonal produce from the Tatamagouche Farmers’ Market and locally-produced fresh dairy cream. Present your copy of the 2008 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide and receive a free slice of Nova Scotia StrawberryRhubarb or Wild Blueberry pie, with purchase of $15.00 or more. (Limit one coupon per table).
87) THE PORK SHOP 3412 Hwy #326 Denmark, Nova Scotia 902•657•3406 Nearly two decades of offering nothing but the finest pork products expertly prepared in the Pork Shop way have earned us a world-class reputation for quality. No trip to the sunshine coast of Nova Scotia is complete without stopping at Denmark to experience the Pork Shop! The Pork Shop has a selection of Spices, Marinades and BBQ Sauces. Our steak has a taste of its own! It is spiced and ready to cook, whatever way you decide to prepare it! We look forward to serving you!
POWER FOR ALL?* In 1889, Amherst residents were charged for power according to the number and location of light bulbs. The power company wasn't worried about the quantity of power used. It only came on from dusk until midnight.
27888 Guide.fmx 5/22/08 3:46 PM Page 38
CAPE BRETON One of the world’s most beautiful islands is also home to some of the world’s best cuisine. Cape Breton is one of the rare places where dramatic natural wonders create a landscape for exotic culinary adventures unparalleled anywhere on Earth. RESTAURANTS Baddeck Lobster Suppers Bell Buoy Restaurant And Supper House Bras D’Or Lakes Inn Chanterelle Country Inn & Cottages Glenora Inn & Distillery Keltic Lodge Lakeside Restaurant At Inverary Resort Markland Coastal Resort McCurdy’s Restaurant Silver Dart Lodge Miller’s Tap & Grill/Miller’s Café Normaway Inn Restaurant Acadien Rita’s Tea Room Seascape Coastal Retreat The Grubstake Restaurant (since 1972) The Red Shoe Pub PRODUCERS Galloping Cows Fine Foods Glenora Distillery The Candy Shop
PG 38 38 38 38 39 39 40 40 40 40 41 41 41 41 42 42 PG 39 39 42
CAPE BRETON 88) BADDECK LOBSTER SUPPERS
90) BRAS D’OR LAKES INN
17 Ross Street Baddeck, Nova Scotia 902•295•3307
10095 Grenville Street St. Peter’s, Nova Scotia 902•535•2200 Toll free: 1•800•818 5885 www.brasdorlakesinn.com
Baddeck Lobster Suppers has served visitors from all over the world since 1987. Hot Atlantic Lobster is our specialty, but Planked Salmon cooked over an open wood fire, to the delight of our customers, rates a close second. All entrees are served with unlimited seafood chowder, Nova Scotia mussels, homemade breads and desserts. Overlooking the Bras d’Or Lakes, we offer a relaxed atmosphere second to none.
89) BELL BUOY RESTAURANT AND SUPPER HOUSE 536 Chebucto Street Baddeck, Nova Scotia 902•295•2581 www.visitbaddeck.com Enjoy the very freshest seafood and friendly service overlooking the beautiful Bras d’Or lakes, one of the few uncluttered sailing areas in North America today. The Bell Buoy offers one of the most extensive selections of fresh seafood in Atlantic Canada. Be sure to try our seafood chowder, which has been rated as the very best eaten by many customers!
Listed in the prestigious Where to Eat in Canada, Canada's national restaurant guide, the Bra’s D’Or Lakes Inn offers excellent fine dining service while watching boats enter the Bras d’Or lakes through the St. Peter’s canal. French Chef Jean Pierre Gillet creates classic French cuisine such as Digby Scallops Provencal: scallops sautéed with tomatoes, onion, garlic, parsley and flambéed with brandy.
91) CHANTERELLE COUNTRY INN & COTTAGES 48678 Cabot Trail North River, Nova Scotia 902•929•2263 Toll free: 1•866•277•0577 www.chanterelleinn.com In 2006, our Inn was named to the prestigious Where to Eat in Canada, Canada's national restaurant guide. We specialize in serving cuisine prepared according to the “Slow Food” traditions. Almost everything is created in our own kitchen using organically, locally produced food. Specializing in dishes made with fresh, wild chanterelle mushrooms, and more generally, specializing in “Cape Breton Fresh” cuisine, using locally and organically grown food and fresh, local seafood. Reservations required. Present your coopy of the Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide and receive a complimentary glass of wine or 2-for-1 dessert with the purchase of 2 entrees.
CAPE BRETON 92) GALLOPING COWS FINE FOODS
93) GLENORA DISTILLERY
94) GLENORA INN & DISTILLERY
59 Justin Rd. Port Hood Nova Scotia 902•787•3484 www.gallopingcows.com
Route 19, Ceilidh Trail Glenville, Nova Scotia 902•258•2662 Toll free: 1•800•839•0491 www.glenoradistillery.com
Route 19, Ceilidh Trail Glenville, Nova Scotia 902•258•2662 Toll free: 1•800•839•0491 www.glenoradistillery.com
Taste the difference a little adventure makes. Try out the exciting preserve flavours that set Galloping Cows Fine Foods in a class of its own. We specialize in small batch production, using local fresh ingredients, and each preserve is hand bottled and crafted with care. A must taste is our Nova Scotia Cranberry Pepper Jelly. Retail hours of operation: Weekdays 10-4pm, Friday & Saturday 10-8pm, Sunday 11-4pm. Please call ahead otherwise. Present your copy of the 2008 Taste of Nova Scotia Culinary Guide and receive 10% off on any of our products or gifts!
Visit North America’s only single malt whisky distillery! Cradled in the hills of the Mabou Highlands, Glenora Distillery has created a clean, expressive eight year old whisky with a well-defined edge of sophistication and an undeniable, one-of-a-kind flavour. Glen Breton Rare Canadian Single Malt Whisky is made by the traditional copper pot stills method using only three ingredients: barley, yeast and water. Enjoy a guided tour of the distillery, ending with the perfect finish!
Cradled in the picturesque hills of the Mabou Highlands, the unsurpassed view is the perfect setting for gourmet cuisine in our Pub and Dining Room featured in Where to Eat in Canada. Savour the freshest of Nova Scotia bounty and zesty international cuisine: Rack of lamb, Salmon, Digby scallops and terrific pub meals. Celtic music and a wee dram of Canada’s only Single Malt Whisky, Glen Breton Rare, lay the groundwork for your unique Cape Breton experience. Glenora Inn features nine rooms and six Highland Chalets. And, if that is not enough, enjoy incredible hiking trails, bird watching, gift shop, tours, free Ceilidhs and much more!
95) KELTIC LODGE 383 Middlehead Peninsula Ingonish Beach, Nova Scotia 902•285•2880 www.signatureresorts.com Purple Thistle Dining Room: High on the cliffs of the Cabot Trail, Keltic Lodge continues its longstanding reputation for dining excellence. The upscale dining room, with its spectacular view of the sea, offers a superb variety of menu items appealing to every taste. Masterfully prepared by award winning Executive Chef, Dale Nichols, a local bounty of seafood is the specialty. Reservations are required with a Smart Casual Dress Code. The Atlantic Restaurant: The Atlantic Restaurant, with panoramic views of the ocean and Highlands, is an informal eatery serving attractively priced meals, daily lunch buffet and themed dinner buffets on selected dates. Enjoy nightly entertainment with a Celtic flare, and featuring Friday Ceilidhs … a traditional Cape Breton kitchen party!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX A SHIPWRECK AND CHOCOLATE* In 1746, the French ship Le Chameau wrecked off Louisbourg. To recover its treasures from the icy water, divers covered themselves with grease. To give them energy, they ate a diet rich in delicious chocolate.
CAPE BRETON 96) LAKESIDE RESTAURANT AT INVERARY RESORT 368 Shore Road Baddeck, Nova Scotia 902•295•3500 Toll free: 1•800•565•5660 www.capebretonresorts.com The Lakeside Restaurant at Inverary Resort sits on the shores of the Bras d’Or Lakes. Enjoy fresh lobster from the sea, magnificent Seafood Cannelloni and succulent New Zealand Rack of Lamb. Not only is the food delectable, the view is extraordinary and the outdoor deck is charming. The resort Gift Shoppe is located at Lakeside where you will find fashionable jewelry, clothing and unique gifts. In addition, after you enjoy the exquisite cuisine be sure to enjoy the tranquil surroundings with a boat tour on the Bras d’Or, or a ride in a kayak or canoe; the Lakeside Adventure Centre is bursting with water toys and adventures for you to enjoy.
97) MARKLAND COASTAL RESORT Cabot Trail, Dingwall, Nova Scotia 902•383•2246 www.marklandresort.com The Markland Coastal Resort is cradled in one of the most truly magical locations on the Atlantic Coast. A seven mile crescent of five sandy beaches stretches from one end of the bay to the other and from its perimeters, the verdant rolling highlands rise to encircle the spectacular watershed of the Apsy River basin. The Markland combines great food and quality accommodation to create an ideal home base during your stay. Delight in the Markland's fresh local bounty prepared by our chef and enjoy the fresh daily catch, and seasonal gatherings of wild mint, mushrooms and blueberries. We feature rack of lamb and tender halibut and our signature "bouillabaise." Complete your dinner with a delicious chocolate mousse or a scrumptious sampling of our chef's homemade ice creams and sorbets.
QUOTE FROM ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL: "I have travelled around the globe. I have seen the Canadian Rockies, the American Rockies, the Andes and the Alps and the Highlands of Scotland; but for simple beauty, Cape Breton outrivals them all."
98) McCURDY’S RESTAURANT SILVER DART LODGE
99) MILLER’S TAP & GRILL / MILLER’S CAFÉ
257 Shore Road Baddeck, Nova Scotia 902•295•2340 1•877•768•3969 www.silverdartlodge.com/dining-and-social
717 Reeves Street Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia 902•625•0320 Toll free: 1•888•662•7484/ Option 2 www.maritimeinns.com
Delicious Meals! Live Celtic Entertainment! A breathtaking view of the spectacular Bras d'Or Lakes! All make McCurdy's one of the finest restaurants in Cape Breton. Try our Taste of Nova Scotia Buffet, which was described by AAA as "excellent and generous," as well as Chef Sibley's renowned a La Carte Menu (especially the Lobstercakes! Mmmm). McCurdy's is a great restaurant for the whole family. Be sure to ask about our "Picnic Lunch Package" for busy travelers on the move.
Adjoining Maritime Inn Port Hawkesbury, this Strait-area favourite offers a casual and relaxed ambiance inclusive of patio dining, pool side. Menu suggestions feature a variety of local recipes and flavours. May we suggest our Grilled Vegetable and Seafood Pomodoro or Maple Whiskey Salmon for those in search of fresh Nova Scotia seafood. Port Hawkesbury is the gateway to Cape Breton, a perfect vacation base, and Miller’s Tap & Grill offers menu selections and daily features for every taste and budget.
CAPE BRETON 100) NORMAWAY INN
102) RITA’S TEA ROOM
691 Egypt Road Margaree Valley, Nova Scotia 902•248•2987 Toll free: 1•800•565•9463 www.normaway.com
Big Pond Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia 902•828•2667 www.ritamcneil.com/tearoom.htm
Nestled in the picturesque hills of the Margaree Valley, Normaway Inn's dining room, with its full view of the surrounding hills, fields and gardens, offers guests a unique combination of food: Atlantic Salmon, Cape Breton Lamb, Scallops, and herbs grown at the Normaway. Our menu changes daily to reflect the freshest local ingredients. Enjoy Cape Breton Film, Fiddle or Folk nightly in the living room or entertainment Barn and our weekly ThreeFiddler Concert Ceildh Dance!
101) RESTAURANT ACADIEN 15067 Main Street Cheticamp, Nova Scotia 902•224•3207 www.co-opartisanale.com Our licensed Restaurant Acadien is situated on the famous Cabot Trail in the thriving, picturesque village of Cheticamp. Experience unique Acadian dishes prepared on the premises and served by a staff dressed in full Acadian costumes! Menu items feature a delicious fricot, meat pies, traditional stewed potatoes, a selection of fresh fish, blood pudding and our famous butterscotch pie.
Purchased by Rita MacNeil in 1982, Rita’s Tea Room and Gift Shop has been open since June of 1986, but the original one-room schoolhouse dates back to 1939. Over the years Rita’s Tea Room has welcomed countless visitors who have stopped by to say hello and enjoy a cup of tea. Open seasonally, it offers warm hospitality, home baked goodies, full lunch and light dinner menu, and of course, a good cup of tea! Rita’s Tea Room is open annually from early June to mid-October.
103) SEASCAPE COASTAL RETREAT 26083 Cabot Trail Ingonish, Nova Scotia 902•285•3003 Toll free: 1•866•385•3003 www.seascapecoastalretreat.com Experience gourmet dining in our cliff top restaurant with magnificent panoramic views of the ocean and the Highland mountains. This spectacular property has 10 luxury cottages with private decks overlooking the ocean and a pathway to the quiet beach below. Dine in a romantic candle lit setting while watching the sunset or in front of the fireplace on cool fall evenings. Our freshly prepared menu features local seafood, tantalizing homemade sauces, home grown herbs and vegetables. Complete your meal with a decadent homemade dessert or a fine Nova Scotia Icewine.
CAPE BRETON 104) THE CANDY SHOP
106) THE RED SHOE PUB
At the Canso Causeway Port Hastings, Nova Scotia 902•CANDIES www.islandcandyshop.com
11573 Route 19 Mabou, Nova Scotia 902-945-2996 www.redshoepub.com
If you visited us before, you'll find everything we had and much, much more. Some people say we're the biggest candy store in Canada. We say we're the best darn candy shop there is. And we should be. After all, we have the sweetest candies, the richest chocolates and the nicest customers! We offer a sensational selection of old fashioned candies, trendy children's favorites and edible novelties. Let us help you celebrate holidays and special occasions with thousands of sweet treats. Our new chocolate factory is just down the road in Port Hawkesbury, where we produce our own handcrafted treats, as well as The Original Wolf Bait, the Chocolate for Men.
The Red Shoe Pub has become a kind of “home away from home” for many locals and visitors over the years. The Rankin Sisters' cozy spot in the hamlet of Mabou, on the west coast of Cape Breton offers a menu of Nova Scotia home cooking. Features include a treasure seafood chowder, salmon cakes and a variety of hot pub pies. Visit "The Shoe" for good food, drinks and great live music. Open 7 days a week from 11:30 am to 1:00 am, June 1 – mid October.
105) THE GRUBSTAKE RESTAURANT 7499 Main Street Louisbourg, Nova Scotia 902•733•2308 A short 20-minute drive from Sydney, and a stone’s throw from the Atlantic Ocean, sits the venerable and unique Grubstake. This multi-award winning restaurant's style of food, beverage and service is best described as "Casually Elegant, Country Cuisine." Our signature Trade Winds Porridge Bread and mouth-watering desserts will bracket a tremendous array of local seafood such as Halibut, Haddock, Queen Crab Scallops and Lobster, when in season. We take pride in our many chicken, beef, fresh pasta and vegetarian dishes and offer daily specials and a parent-approved children's menu. We offer a full wine and cocktail service and our desserts and breads are all made in our bakery. 42
27888 Guide.fmx 5/22/08 3:48 PM Page 44
EASTERN SHORE Our lovely Eastern Shore is a paradise for nature lovers and food aficionados. The region’s pristine lakes and rivers, rugged coastline and seaside parks provide the perfect serene setting for some of Nova Scotia’s most delicious culinary adventures. RESTAURANTS DesBarres Manor Inn The Lobster Shack Restaurant Tin Roof: Mercantile And Café PRODUCERS Aquaprime Mussel Ranch Ltd. J. Willy Krauch & Sons Ltd.
PG 44 44 45 PG 44 44
EASTERN SHORE 107) AQUAPRIME MUSSEL RANCH LTD.
108) DESBARRES MANOR INN
109) J. WILLY KRAUCH & SONS LTD.
110) THE LOBSTER SHACK RESTAURANT
14108 Highway #7 Ship Harbour Nova Scotia 902•845•2993
90 Church Street, Guysborough, Nova Scotia 902•533•2099 www.desbarresmanor.com
35 Old Mooseland Road, Tangier, Nova Scotia 902•772•2188 Toll free: 1•800•758•4412
9931 Highway #7, Salmon River Bridge Jeddore, Nova Scotia 902•889•3353 Toll free: 1•800•565•3353 www.salmonriverhouse.com
Enjoy farm fresh mussels - harvested daily and delivered daily through out the province. Drop by and see what we do – learn how mussels are grown and harvested, and then take home a bag of the freshest, sweetest mussels you have ever had! Our mussels can also be enjoyed at many of the Taste of Nova Scotia restaurants in the province.
From our spectacular open kitchen, our culinary team uses fresh ingredients from the Manor gardens along with an extensive network of local farmers and fishers to create contemporary Canadian cuisine with an East Coast flair. The Manor’s seasonally inspired menus, romantic fireside and grand deck dining, and gourmet getaway packages with luxury accommodations make it a truly unique culinary experience. Combined with our attentive service, the DesBarres Manor dining room creates a culinary experience as warm as our people.
Willy Krauch came to Canada from Denmark and began smoking fish in the tiny village of Tangier, Nova Scotia. Since 1956 they have been smoking the finest Atlantic salmon, mackerel and eels in their traditional Scandinavian style smokehouse. Willy developed a method of smoking that’s uniquely his own. Over the years Willy has developed a reputation for selling only the finest quality smoked Atlantic fish. In fact, many people, both locals and tourists, make the 50 mile drive from Halifax, a day’s outing, just to buy his fish!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX BLUEBERRY TREASURES* In 1861, Nelson Nickerson and his family were out picking blueberries near Sherbrooke and discovered something much more - one of the biggest gold deposits in the province. Eventually a town grew up called, Goldenville.
Relax in the seaside setting of The Lobster Shack Restaurant, only 45 minutes outside of Halifax, and enjoy the scenic beauty of Jeddore Harbour and Salmon River. We serve Lobster, Superb Seafood, Fresh Steamed Mussels, Great Char-Broiled Steaks, Schnitzels, Salads and Pastas. Enjoy Snacks, Light Lunches, the Kids Menu and everything from a delicious bowl of Chowder to a full evening dinner. Seafood lovers rave about our “Seafood Supreme,” and the “Chaudree” (Acadian fish stew) is really something to write home about!
EASTERN SHORE 111) TIN ROOF: MERCANTILE AND CAFÉ
WILD BLUEBERRY FLAN
6321 Highway #7 Head Chezzetcook Nova Scotia 902•827•5315 www.tinroof.ca
Meat-filled pies (savouries) are found in many European culinary cultures, including the French Acadian. Their version is fragrant with spices and the sweetness of the orange. You could make an extra pie or two and freeze them for later use. Toutiere is the French name for the ceramic pie dish in which tourtes (pies) are baked.
Lovingly-crafted and locally inspired lunches in front of a large, open woodburning hearth. Everything on the menu is made right here like Grandma would have made… if Grandma could cook! We use only wholesome, fresh ingredients in everything we serve – we like to call it “comfort food in comfortable surroundings”! Customers can also enjoy a leisurely browse through our attached gift shop.
This cross between a cake and a pie is served chilled and can be made ahead.The orange flavor enhances the sweetness of the blueberries and the tang of the sour cream. This is a rich dessert and small portions will satisfy. CRUST: 11⁄2 cups all-purpose flour 375 mL 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar 125 mL 1 tsp baking powder 5 mL 1⁄2 cup softened butter or margarine 125 mL 1 egg 1 1⁄2 tsp almond extract 2 mL FILLING: 5 cups wild blueberries, fresh 1.25 L or frozen 2 tbsp orange juice or liqueur 25 mL 2 tbsp minute tapioca 25 mL 1 tsp grated lemon rind 5 mL 2 cups sour cream 500 mL 2 egg yolks 2 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar 125 mL 1⁄2 tsp almond extract 2 mL
lean ground beef
lean ground pork
medium onion, peeled & diced
cloves garlic, finely diced
each ground cloves, cinnamon
each allspice, nutmeg
each salt and freshly ground pepper
orange (both zest and juice)
slices white bread with crusts trimmed
and cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) cubes 3⁄ 4
pastry for double pie crust 1
egg, slightly beaten
In a heavy saucepan with cover, combine beef, pork, onions, seasonings, orange juice and orange zest. Over medium heat, cook until meat is browned, stirring often and breaking meat into small pieces. Add bread cubes and mix until well blended. Remove from heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Next add beef stock, if mixture appears to be runny add additional breadcrumbs. Spoon meat mixture into two 6-in (15 cm) pastry-lined pie plates. Brush half of the beaten egg over the edges of the bottom crusts. Place second crust on top and crimp with a fork. Bake at 400° F (200° C) for 30 - 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown, checking frequently.
Crust : In a small mixing bowl, blend flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in the butter; stir in the egg and almond extract to make a soft dough. Press dough into the bottom and half way up the sides of a 9 inch (23cm) spring form pan. Filling : In a small bowl, mix together blueberries, orange juice or liqueur, tapioca and lemon rind. Spoon into crust. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, egg yolks, sugar and almond extract, stirring until well blended and smooth. Spoon over the blueberry mixture. Bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until set. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Serve chilled topped with whipped cream. (Recipe from Nova Scotia Cooking) Makes 15 servings.
Find more delicious recipes like this at www.tasteofnovascotia.com 45
Our Partners. The continued success of the Taste of Nova Scotia is in part a result of the partnerships and alliances that the program has formed and fostered. These alliances include its membership, government partners and the foodservice and hospitality industries. NS Department Agriculture, Aquaculture and Fisheries NS Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Winery Association of Nova Scotia Restaurant Association of Nova Scotia Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation Nova Scotia Association of Chefs and Cooks Tourism Industry Association of Nova Scotia Destination Halifax
Some images used in this guide are courtesy of the Nova Scotia Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage and the Nova Scotia Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Aquaculture.
THE FIVE FISHERMEN
A Nova Scotia Taste Experience! Every tourist destination has its landmark attractions. In Nova Scotia, this means the rugged beauty of Peggy’s Cove, the aweinspiring vistas of Cape Breton’s Cabot Trail and for those in search of the finest local cuisine; it is a trip to Halifax’s The Five Fishermen – Taste of Nova’s Scotia’s reigning Restaurant of the Year. The Five Fishermen has been serving guests for more than 33 years, but it’s not a restaurant willing to rest on its laurels. Under the direction of experienced management team led by Manager Gary MacDonald,The Five Fishermen specializes in both traditional favourites such as Classic Maritime Style Lobster and their world-famous mussel bar as well as delicacies such as Cast Iron Seared Digby Scallops, Grilled Ahi Tuna and Rack of Nova Scotia Lamb. While the menu offers a broad range of flavours, it never departs from being a Nova Scotia taste experience. The culinary team at The Five Fishermen work closely with local fish mongers and farmers to get the best of local produce. A guiding principle in the kitchen of The Five Fishermen is ’good flavours come from good ingredients’. The same dedication to local flavour is evident in The Five Fishermen’s extensive wine list. The restaurant, which has been awarded a coveted Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for four THE FIVE FISHERMEN RESTAURANT
consecutive years, has the one of the largest selection of Nova Scotia wines in the province, many of which are available by the glass. Under the guidance of their in-house sommelier, The Five Fishermen’s dedicated and courteous wait staff are extremely well versed in the art of food and wine pairing, and will expertly guide diners through an authentic Nova Scotia taste experience; be it a glass of Marechal Foch matched with Nova Scotia Rack of Lamb or Jost Cote de Bras D’Or Cayuga paired with oysters sourced from the same region. Is there any wonder why The Five Fishermen has so many regular customers both from near and far? When it comes to enjoying the ultimate Nova Scotia taste experience, there is no other choice than The Five Fishermen, unless of course it is The Little Fish Restaurant and Oyster Bar. The latter is The Five Fishermen’s sister restaurant. Located below The Five Fishermen and featuring one of the nicest patios in the city,The Little Fish offers delectable seafood including one of the finest selection of oysters in Atlantic Canada. To enjoy the ultimate Nova Scotia taste experience, make a reservation at The Five Fishermen Restaurant, located at 1740 Argyle St in Halifax and once there, ask your sommelier to pair one of the many beautiful wines from Nova Scotia with your choice of delectable Nova Scotia seafood.
1740 Argyle St., Halifax 902-422-4421
To have our members businesses and products as the first choice of local and visiting consumers when considering premium quality restaurants, products and culinary experiences in Nova Scotia and around the world. Our key mandate is to facilitate growth for our members while promoting the unique quality of our Nova Scotia food and beverage products.
Vision Statement Taste of Nova Scotia’s vision is to provide our employees and members with the opportunity to promote the quality foods and restaurants of the beautiful province of Nova Scotia resultingin profitable organizations, rewarding careers, stronger families and thriving communities. Taste of Nova Scotia 36 Brookshire Court, Suite 14 Bedford, NS B4A 4E9 Tel: 902• 492•9291 Fax: 902• 492•9286 Toll free: 1•800•281• 5507 firstname.lastname@example.org
No part of this publication may be reproduced without prior consent from Taste of Nova Scotia. * Source: A Maritimer's Miscellany by Clary Croft
Are You Ready for a Culinary Adventure? All across Nova Scotia, culinary adventures are waiting to be explored. Use this guide to discover the ver y best from our land, from our sea and from our hands. There are over 100 quality members across the province including producers, processors and an elite collection of the best restaurants in Nova Scotia. Be sure to join the Recipe of the Month Club. Youâ€™ll be automatically entered to win private cooking lessons from one of the best chefs in Nova Scotia. If you join before July 31, 2008, you'll be entered into our Early Bird Draw and you could win a delicious Taste of Nova Scotia Gift Basket. Enjoy!
All across Nova Scotia, culinary adventures are waiting to be explored. Use this guide to discover the very best from our land, from our sea...