Mindanao Daily NEWS northmin . westmin . caraga . davao Your Regional Mindanao-wide Community Newspaper
web portal: www.businessweekmindanao.com
Volume III, No. 070
Wednesday
See story P15.00 on Page 12 August 13, 2014
Thousands join march for peace in Zambo City
Z
A M B OA N GA CITY – Thousands of people have joined an international peace march on Monday in Zamboanga City in an effort to promote peace and compassion to the world.
DAVAO City––The peace panels of the Government of the Philippines (GPH) and Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) set August 18 as their deadline for submitting the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) to the President. “The Panels reiterated their commitment to finish an agreed draft Bangsamoro Basic Law by August 18, 2014, in sha Allah, in order to allow the Office of the President to submit the same to Congress as soon as possible,” they announced at the conclusion of their 10-day marathon meeting in this southern capital on Sunday. In a joint statement, the Parties said that they “reached an agreement on substantial portions of the document, and have developed a shared understanding of the remaining challenges and unsettled See deadline, page A7
northmin
Traders press charges against Medina Group, others u A4 caraga
Businessmen vow to improve services to consumers u A5 davao
Organizers of APEC Meeting drops Davao as host city u A2
See full story, page A6
GPH, MILF set Aug. 18 as deadline for submitting BBL to PNoy
Regional Top Stories
GROUNDBREAKING OF FARM TO MARKET ROAD. Rep. Rufus B. Rodriguez and ABAMIN Party List Rep. Maxie B. Rodriguez leads the groundbreaking ceremony for the P5.5 million Farm to Market Road project in Barangay Agusan. Also in photo are DPWH Dist. Engr. Anastacio G. Marundan; DPWH Asst. Engr. Mabel F. Saa, City Councilor Eric Salcedo; Barangay Chairman Andrew E. Melliza; and Kags.Carancho, Abangan and Taling Ordiz. Photo courtesy of Ken Dischaves
Misor vice guv holds group discussion MISAMIS Oriental––In the hope of harmonizing legislative processes among the various Sanggunians, Vice Governor Joey G. Pelaez earlier organized the 1st MisOr Local Legislative Conference held at the Gardens of Malasag Ecovillage, Cugman, Cagayan de Oro City. Vice mayors and their respective sanggunian secretaries of the component cities and municipalities of Misamis Oriental attended the conference. Under Section 56 (a) of Republic Act 7160, otherwise known as the Local Government Code of 1991, the Secretary to the Sangguniang Panlungsod MISAMIS Oriental Vice Governor Joey G. Pelaez talks on issues and concerns affecting or Sangguniang Bayan the province during the Local Legislative Conference held at the Gardens of Malasag See group, page A7
Ecovillage, Cugman, Cagayan de Oro City. Photo supplied
Nearly 30% of DPWH budget for 2015 allocated to M’nao By Ferdinand G. Patinio
NEARLY 30 percent or Php63.12 Billion of the Php287.826 Billion of the 2015 proposed budget of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is allocated to Mindanao.
During the department’s budget hearing in Congress on Tuesday, Secretary Rogelio Singson reported that the total Php63.12 Billion (29.5 percent) budget for southern Philippines is divided to five regions, which aims to construct undertakings including the Min-
danao Logistics Network and the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao Infrastructure Program. The allocation for the said regions are as follow: Region IX (Php11.81 Billion), Region X (Php18.33 Billion), Region XI (Php13.73 Billion), Region XII
(Php8.89 Billion) and Region XII (Php10.36 Billion). Singson noted that the allocation is part of their regular budget, excluding the rehabilitation of Zamboanga City which has been included in last year’s allocation. See BUDGET, page A7
Dengue cases reach 3,810 in Caraga, top 2013 record By PAT SAMONTE Regional Editor-Caraga
BUTUAN City––Dengue cases in Caraga have continued to rise as latest report showed 3,810 patients were admitted to hospitals and clinics across the region for the period January 1 to August 9, 2014. DOH-13 Assistant Regional Media Relations Officer Dines Garcia said the figure topped by 77 percent the 2,143 suspect dengue cases recorded for the same period in 2013. According to Garcia, hot spot of cases in Barangays Telaje and Mabua and clustering were observed in Barangays Bag-ong Lungsod, Bongtud, Dagocdoc, San Agustin and Rosario, all in Tandag City. Due to the “ever-increasing dengue cases” to the point of reaching an outbreak of the deadly disease based on a report by the DOH-Caraga Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, the City of Tandag had declared a state of calamity. City Administrator Alexander Pimentel said “calamity fund can already be used for the purpose of addressing its (the city’s) financial needs.” In his report, Garcia showed the distribution See dengue, page A7
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776