MindanaoDAILY THE PURVEYOR OF TRUTH , JUSTICE, AND DEVELOPMENT
NBI clears media tag as ‘terrorist bomber’ Volume VI, No. 084
By CRIS DIAZ Executive Editor
CAGAYAN de Oro Cityp-The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has cleared the name of a local media photographer who was mistakenly labeled as a “bombing terrorist” by the government agents. Gerry Gorit, a photographer and a member of the Cagayan De Oro Press Club (COPC), went to the
web portal: www.mindanaodailynews.com
regional office of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Monday to clear his name. Jerry Abiera, the NBI assistant regional director, confirmed that an agent from the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency (NICA) asked an assistant from the NBI to check on Gorit. Abiera said that the NBI has already cleared Gorit, but has yet to confirm state-
ments from the NICA on why Gorit’s name was included in the list of bombing suspects. He said that the NICA and the NBI earlier worked together to confirm the information that Gorit was a “terrorist bomber.” The government agents might have suspected Gorit’s actions and personal appearance because aside from wearing a head scarf that covers his entire head, Gorit
Tuesday
also carry a bulky backpack. Abiera said that the case of Gorit might also be related to his coverage of past events. Gorit said that his backpack contains cameras, electronic gadgets, and laptops that he used for media coverage. Gorit has the fright of his life when two unidentified men tried to gang up on him while jogging at the See MEDIA, page A7
September 6, 2016
P15.00
A1
Other headlines n RTWPB
in Normin holds series of consultative conferences with SMEs/p.A5
n DOH
confirms 6th Zika case in PH/p.A2
n Dabawenyos
hold memorial mass for blast victims/p.A3 OPINION
n Drug
addiction in the PH/p.A4 n Climate change and its turning point/p.A4 n Humanity and peace for all human beings/p.A4 n Mother
GERRY gorit
Teresa officially declared a saint/p.A8
Bambi: Misor tourism stay strong despite Davao attack LTO-10 deploys female enforcers By GERRY LEE GORIT, Correspondent
CAGAYAN de Oro City--Despite the attack in Davao City last week, the Misamis Oriental tourism industry has remained as strong as ever, said Governor Yevgeny Vincente Emano on Monday. Emano said what happened in Davao City’s Roxas Night Market on Friday night is just a “temporary setback” but it will not deter the province from welcoming more local and foreign tourists to visit Misamis Oriental’s tourist spots. The bombing in Davao City, Emano
said, will not weaken the province, but instead “it will drive us even stronger.” Developing the already existing tourist destinations and discovering potential sites have remained a priority of Emano’s administration, he said. “We will continue with the development of our tourist sites, we will continue creat- By Mark D. Francisco Correspondent ing packages, and we will continue in our promotion of Misamis Oriental,” Emano told reporters in an interview right after CAGAYAN de Oro City-the opening of the Tourism Week opening It’s harder to resist a female law enforcer. ceremony at the provincial capitol See tourism, page A7
See DEPLOYS, page A5
Manobos take long road to normalcy By CHRIS V. PANGANIBAN Contributing Editor
Han-ayan in the village of Diatagon in this town. They had been used to producing their own food in a self-sustaining method that the “lumad” had mastered. This self sustenance was rudely interrupted when they had to flee their community on Sept. 1 last year when the military started to hunt for communist guerrillas and sympathizMANOBO children check visitors out as they wait for ers among the natives. The their trip back to their community after a year of taking lumad found themselves shelter in Tandag City to flee military operations against removed from the
LIANGA, Surigao del Sur--They are back home to lead normal lives anew after exactly a year and a day of hardship living in cramped makeshift tents inside the Surigao del Sur Sports Complex in Tandag City. The process of normalTOURISM WEEK. Gov. Yevgeny Vincente Emano ization, however, could take looks at photos of various tourist attractions in Misamis more than just the homeOriental taken photographer Glenn Palacio during the coming of the Manobo opening of the Tourism Week 2016 on Monday. in lumad communities. residents of upland Sitio communist guerrillas Mindanao Daily photo by Gerry Lee Gorit Mindanao Daily photo by Chris Panganiban
A special report
See NORMALCY, page A7
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776