Mindanao Daily NEWS northmin . westmin . caraga . davao Your Regional Mindanao-wide Community Newspaper
Volume III, No. 092
web portal: www.businessweekmindanao.com
Thursday
ZING
QUANTUM PENDANT I N S TA N T PERFORMANCE
ENHANCER
For Price, Inquiry & Demo, visit: GREATLAB Polyclinic and Drug testing Center
LIFESTYLE DISTRICT, Corrales Ext., Cagayan de Oro City Contact NOs: (088) 8502489; 09189659562; 09177929464
See story on Page A1 12 September 11, 2014 P15.00
Media on the sidelines
PNoy more earnest on showbiz weddings, Manila traffic By TYRONE A. VELEZ of DavaoToday.com
DAVAO City––During Monday’s press conference after the launch of a Mindanao agribusiness initiative, reporters here were dismayed over how President Benigno Aquino III gave more time to discuss other questions related to Manila’s transportation woes and his role in two showbiz weddings.
In contrast, Aquino’s answers to questions from two local reporters were brief, prompting journalists to take to social media to rant over the unfair treatment. Philippine Star’s Edith Regalado asked the president’s plans for the now-completed Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL)and Manila Bulletin’s Alexander Lopez asked how Aquino would address environmentalists’ concerns of energy sourcing in
Mindanao. The president merely replied “yes” to Regalado and said he would present the now-completed BBL to Congress on Wednesday. Then he turned over the microphone to presidential peace adviser Teresita Deles to provide brief details. Aquino’s response to the energy problem was that he acknowledged the difficulty of generating renewable energy and natural gas, and
said coal is the reliable source of energy. A third reporter, coming from Solar-RPN9 TV, started to ask questions about Metro Manila’s problems with traffic and port congestion, and on the metro-rail transit. Aquino took the longest to answer these questions, and even paused to scroll on his cellular
P5m shabu shipment intercepted in Ozamiz See SHOWBIZ, page A7
By Cheng OrdoÑez, Associate Editor Gerry Gorit and PJ Tremedal, Correspondents
OZAMIZ City--Joint operatives from the Ozamiz City Police Office, the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) and the local government unit led by the mayor intercepted a shipment of shabu worth P5 million Tuesday (September 9) afternoon here. See FULL STORY, page A6
Oro dads earmark P1m for employees’ benefits CAGAYAN de Oro City–– The City Council allocated P1-million to be made available for the payment of terminal leave benefits and back wages of some government workers. The amount will be taken from the item “Non-Office: Terminal Leave benefits and Personal Services Salaries
Savings” in concerned offices. The ordinances were reviewed and favorably endorsed by the committees on finance and ways and means chaired by Councilor President D. Elipe, on public utilities chaired by Councilor Roger D. Abaday and on laws and rules chaired by Councilor Ramon G. Tabor.
Ozamiz City Mayor Reynaldo Parojinog Sr. watches along w ith IO3 Rubylyn Alfaro, provincial team leader of Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency in Misamis Occidental, while p art of the intercepted shabu worth P5 million is being weighed, at a courier outlet near the port area, Tuesday (Sept. 9), at Ozamis City. Photo by Gerry Lee Gorit of Mindanao Daily News
Bandits release midwive
ZAMBOANGA City––Suspected Abu Sayyaf bandits released Tuesday a government health worker they seized last month in the province of Sulu, military officials disclosed Wednesday. Released was Lailani Bernabe, the midwife of the district hospital in Luuk, Sulu. She was held captive for 12 days. Lt. Gen. Rustico Guerrero, Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) chief, said Bernabe was released around 6 a.m. Tuesday in Barangay Danag, Patikul town. After her release, Guerrero said Bernabe boarded a passenger jeep to the town of Jolo, the provincial capital, and arrived home around 8 a.m. of the same day. Abu Sayyaf bandits reportedly led by Arod Wahing abducted Bernabe last August 28 in Barangay Lihbug Kabaw, Panglima Estino town, while she was on her way to work. Capt. Maria Rowena Muyuela, Westmincom information officer, said Sulu provincial board member Ismun Suhuri facilitated the release of Bernabe. MindaNews
Draft Bangsamoro Basic Law finally submitted to Congress By Carolyn O. Arguillas of MindaNews First of two parts
Misamis Oriental second district Rep. Juliette T. Uy accompanied Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” R. Marcos Jr. to meet the youths and local chief executives for a dialogue held at Mindanao State University (MSU) in Naawan town in Misamis Oriental. Photo coourtesy of Irene Anibong
DAVAO City––The draft Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) is finally in Congress. Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Teresita Quintos-Deles and Bangsamoro Transition Commission (BTC) chair Mohagher Iqbal, handed over a copy each to Senate
President Franklin Drilon and House Speaker Feliciano Belmonte, Jr., in the presence of President Aquino in ceremonies in Malacanang at 10 am. In his 10-minute speech after the handover, President Aquino assured that the draft BBL was crafted to be “makatwiran, makatarungan, at katanggap-tanggap sa lahat, Moro man, Lumad, o Kristiyano” (fair, just, and
acceptable to all, whether they are Moros, Lumads, or Christians). The 119-page draft law has 18 articles and an additional three-page appendix on a proposed ordinance providing for the “parliamentary districts composing the provinces, cities, municipalities and geographic areas of the Bangsamoro.” He urged Congress to examine the draft bill, which
he certified as “urgent” and asked that it be passed “sa lalong madaling panahon” (as soon as possible).” According to the legislative calendar, Congress will go on recess on September 27, will resume sessions on October 20, take a break again on November 1, resume sessions on November 17 and go on break on December 20 and resume See FINALLY, page A7
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776