Mindanao Daily NEWS northmin . caraga . davao . westmin
vertical home builders enterprises Patag Highway, Cagayan de Oro City
Tel. No. 858-5789 / Fax No. 850-5020; Cel. Nos. 0919-655-3754, 0923-304-2676 Email: verticalhomebuilders@yahoo.com
Dealer of hardware and construction materials: Product Lines: Angle Bars; Gl Pipes; C-Purlins; Holow Blocks; Coco Lumber; Carrying Channel; Double Furring Channel; Single Furring ; Acoustic Board; Polycarbonate; Power Tools; Good Lumber S4S; Panel Doors; PVC Laminated Panel; PVC Vertical Blinds; Roller Blinds ; Wooden Blinds; Armstrong Vinyl Tiles; Kent Vinyl Tiles; Parquet Tiles - Apo Vinyl Tiles.
“YOU NAME IT, WE HAVE IT.”
Bringing Good News of Mindanao
Volume IV, No. 237 web portal: www.mindanaodailynews.com
Thursday
March 17, 2016
P15.00
A1
Distributor & Dealer of: Steel Bars; Holcim Cement; Davis Paint; Sand & Gravel; Plywood; INdustrial Supplies; Finishing Supplies; Electrical Supplies; Power Tools; Air Compressors
Anti-trafficking council strengthens fight against pornography, violence By Recthie T. Paculba of PIA
CAGAYAN de Oro City -- To eradicate child pornography, trafficking of persons and violence against women and their children, the Department of Social Welfare and Development, Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), and the Department of Justice (DOJ) will create regional and local committees to act on such cases through the Joint Memorandum Circular No. 2010-1. See full story, page A5
Groups dismayed over SC dismissal of K o12 petitions By ANNE MARXZE D. UMIL Bulatlat.com
SPURNED by the Supreme Court, enraged petitioners against the K to 12 program have vowed to continue resisting the government program until it is scrapped. The high court dismissed all six petitions calling for a stop to the implementation of K to 12, as announced by SC Public Information Office Chief, lawyer Theodore Te on Tuesday, March 15. “The Court denied the prayer for the issuance of a temporary restraining order and or writ of preliminary injunction,” said Te. The Suspend K to 12 Alliance was “saddened” by the SC decision, and said “people power is the only recourse against the K to 12.” “We have tried our best to convince the Supreme Court with volumes of documents that prove the unconstitutionality of K to
12, yet our petitions for a TRO have been denied,” the group said in a statement. They call on students, teachers, parents and concerned citizens to collectively “carry on with the fight against this anti-Filipino, Labor Export Policy-obsessed, anti-teacher and anti-student education scheme.” The petitioners against K to 12 assert that the government is not ready in implementing the flagship program in education of the Aquino administration. Another petitioner, Kabataan Partylist Rep. Terry Ridon said the SC decision will affect the current batch of students, and future generations of Filipino school children “who have to bear the brunt of additional years of schooling under a laborexport and profit-oriented framework.” “The Supreme Court has See petitions, page A11
Photo credit: Bulatlat.com
UPLB student asked the right questions: youth groups By ANNE MARXZE D. UMIL Bulatlat.com
YOUTH groups backed the University of the Philippines-Los Baños (UPLB) campus student who was maligned as “disrespectful” in his manner of asking
presidential aspirant Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte in a forum in their campus last week. Kabataan Partylist first nominee Sarah Elago lauded UPLB student Stephen Villena for doing the duty
of every iskolar ng bayan (people’s scholar) when he asked Duterte about his plans for budget allocation for education, vis-à-vis addressing peace and order. “An administration’s national budget mirrors
its priorities. That is why we see nothing wrong with the UP student’s line of questioning. In fact, Villena has given Duterte the rare chance to expound on his education platform,” Elago See asked, page A11
For POLITICAL Advertisements and Publicity in these newspapers
Contact: The Publisher 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776 or to our authorized agents
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776