Mindanao Daily News Set B (July 5, 2016)

Page 1

Mindanao Daily NEWS regional Bringing Good News of Mindanao

P15.00

Dureza awaiting call from ASG on Norwegian captive Volume VI, No. 034

web portal: www.mindanaodailynews.com

DAVAO CITY -- Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Jesus Dureza is awaiting a call from the alleged spokesperson of the Abu Sayyaff Group who reportedly wanted to talk to him on the 56year old Norwegian captive Kjartan Sekkingstad, the last of four persons seized from a resort in Samal on September 21, 2015, who remains in captivity. In a statement relayed to media by Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) secretary Martin Andanar on Sunday afternoon, Dureza said he got word from someone in Zamboanga City on Sunday morning that one Abu Rami allegedly from the ASG “wanted to talk to me directly about the remaining Norwegian hostage.”

“I told the person that I was ready and willing to talk with anyone for the release of hostages and (to) save lives. Provided that it would not be about ransom,” he said. “I gave a secure phone number for him to contact me. I am still waiting,” he wrote. Sekkingstad, manager of the resort from where he was taken along with Canadian nationals John Ridsdel and Robert Hall, and Hall’s Filipina partner, Marites Flor. The four were later brought to Sulu. Canadian national John Ridsdel was executed on April 25, when the deadline for payment of ransom lapsed while fellow Canadaian, Robert hall was executed on June 13. See call, page B7

Tuesday

July 5, 2016

B1

Three OFW returnees receive livelihood starter kits under the Livelihood Development Program of Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) National Reintegration Center for Overseas Foreign Workers (OFWs) (DOLENCRO-10). (From left) NRCO-10 coordinator, Ms. Marry Gil A. Damasing and (far right) DOLE –10 - Regional Director Raymundo G. Agravante together with recipients (from second left) Ms. Nimfa U. Amora, Bhilcen P. Padero and Ms. Charalyn P. Tolentino. (MDS/DOLE-10)

ONE OATH TAKING The Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Misamis Oriental, led by Vice Governor Joey G. Pelaez, makes history when it organized the first ever individual Oath-taking of the Vice Governor and Provincial Board Members under various political affiliations. The oath was administered by Court of Appeals Associate Justice Perpetua T. Atal-Paño in a solemn affair in the presence of the families and friends of the Vice Governor and Provincial Board Members. In her inspiring message, Associate Justice Atal-Paño quoted former Supreme CourtChief Justice Artemio V. Panganiban who shared that excellence, ethics and eternitysummed up a formula for a life worth living especially in public service. She hoped that this formula of the former Chief Justice will be able to inspire the Members of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan in the performance of their legislative duties. Associate Justice Atal-Paño encouraged them to pay attention always to the constitutional provision that a Public office is a public trust. From L-R: Provincial Board Members Gerardo P. Sabal III, Atty. Vincent K. Pelaez, Nancy S. Madjos, Fredrick Y. Khu, Court of Appeals Associate Justice Perpetua T. Atal-Paño, Vice Governor Joey G. Pelaez, Provincial Board Members Virgelia F. Dumadag, Mario Charlie K. Emano, Wayne T. Militante, Mercy Grace J. Acain, Boris Olivier H. Actub and Jeremy Jonahmar G. Pelaez. SP. photo supplied

Investment leads in M’nao almost P900B as of June DAVAO CITY -- Investment leads in Mindanao surged in June to surpass the figures for the first four months of 2016, according to data from the Board of Investments-Southern Mindanao. BOI-Southern Mindanao chief Gil Dureza told

Kapehan sa Dabaw at SM City on Monday the P886.75 billion investment leads last month showed an improved investors’ confidence for Mindanao after the victory of President Rodrigo R. Duterte in the May 9 elections.

Dureza said these include 12 to 13 big ticket projects by Chinese, Taiwanese, Indian, and European investors. The investment leads generated in the first four months of the year reached P86.94 billion.

Depositors of closed banks may now have quicker access to their insured deposits. Under Republic Act No. 10846, the law that recently amended the Charter of the Philippine Deposit Insurance Corporation (PDIC), payment of deposit insurance may

now also be based on depositors’ records found to be authentic by PDIC and not just solely on the basis of records maintained by the closed bank. This addresses the inconvenience caused to depositors by the absence of deposit records of closed banks

or by irregularities in the recording, documentation and deposit record keeping of a closed bank. Depositors’ evidence of deposits and records include savings passbooks, certificates of deposit, ATM cards, transaction

See leads, page B7

New law allows closed bank depositors quicker access to insured deposits

See law, page B7

Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.