Mindanao Daily NEWS northmin . westmin . caraga . davao Your Regional Mindanao-wide Community Newspaper
Volume III, No. 039
web portal: www.businessweekmindanao.com
Saturday
ROTARY INTERNATIONAL
THE FOUR-WAY TEST of the things we think, say or do
1. Is it the TRUTH? 2. Is it FAIR to all concerned? 3. Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIP? 4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
See story P15.00 on Page 12 July 5, 2014
Alert on unverified terror threat unfair, says Davao tourism exec
D
AVAO City––President Aquino’s order last week to City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte to raise an alert over an unverified terror threat was disheartening and unfair and may affect the upcoming Kadayawan Festival, a tourism official said.
Regional Top Stories
northmin
Rotary Club of West CDO holds 45th handover and induction ceremony u 2
See FULL STORY, page 9
To impeach or not to impeach? By BENJIE OLIVEROS of Bulatlat.com
THE Supreme Court decision regarding the unconstitutionality of “specific acts” in the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) is a big blow to the Aquino administration. While the 92-page Supreme Court decision appears Solomonic (as most decisions of the High Court are especially if it is critical of government policy), it is, nevertheless, a declaration that the Aquino administration acted clearly well beyond its authority or jurisdiction in determining where and how a substantial amount of government funds would be spent. How substantial? Progressive groups estimate that it is 14 times more than the fund involved in the Napoles scam. The “specific acts” of the Aquino administration with regards the DAP that the High Court declared as unconstitutional are: 1. the seizure of “unobligated allotments” and “unreleased appropriations” of different
caraga
Caraga mining firm upholds human devt u 4 westmin
FRONT VIEW government agencies and the unilateral declaration of such as savings; 2. the realignment of funds from the executive to other branches of government (which is expressly prohibited by the Constitution); and 3. the funding of projects, activities and programs not identified by the General Appropriations Act. In sum, what the Aquino administration did was an arrogation of the power of the purse. At the same time, the Supreme Court declared that it is within the power of the President to come up with a policy such as the DAP to steer the economy toward growth and development. Did the Supreme Court decision state whether the Aquino administration, specifically Pres. Benigno Aquino III and Budget Sec. Florencio Abad, could be held liable for unconstitutional acts? Fr. Joaquin Bernas does not think so. See VIEW, page 11
Attend our Immigration Seminar to CANADA, UK, USA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND and SCHENGEN Territories. On July 10, 2014, 2 pm at INS 2nd Floor Ab. Santiago Bldg. Gaerlan Velez St., Cagayan de Oro City.
Call or text for inquiry: 09068684414
Mayor distributes books, school bags to students u 8
CHR bares listing of rights abuse victims under Marcos By PAT SAMONTE Regional Editor-Caraga
THE officers and members of the Rotary Club of West Cagayan de Oro (RCWESTCDO) lead the distribution of slippers, reading materials and food stuff to around 700 schoolchildren, and raffled off three flat irons in Doña Pilar Elementary School in Kinawe, Libona, Bukidnon last October. Participating in the activity were PP Mandy Tarayao, PP Edu Alaba (donor of the goods) and President Rommel Esguerra. More photos on page 5
Rufus to PNoy: File motion for ‘recon’ CAGAYAN de Oro City– –A veteran lawmaker and a leftist leader expressed their opposing reactions on the Supreme Court declaration that President Aquino’s Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) was unconstitutional. Rep. Rufus Rodriguez of Cagayan de Oro City strongly urged Aquino to immediately file a motion for reconsideration on the Supreme Court decision. Rodriguez said that as early as during the presidency of Manuel Quezon in the 1930s up to the time of
“Why question this now? A lot of public services will be affected if DAP is stopped,” he said. Rodriguez pointed out that it is the inherent power of the Chief Executive to choose which area in the country or which priority program that the savings under DAP would be tapped. “We must give the President the chance or prerogative to realign what the administration thinks benRodriguez efits the people more,” the Gloria Arroyo, disbursement congressman emphasized. But Francisco programs similar to DAP See motion, page 11 were already implemented.
BUTUAN City––The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) has announced that victims of human rights violations under Martial Law can now file their applications for possible compensation and recognition. CHR-Caraga Regional Director Atty. Marylin Pintor said that pursuant to Republic Act No. 10368 known as the Human Rights Victims Reparation and Recognition Act of 2013, her office will receive applications at Agusan del Norte Provincial Training Center, Capitol Compound, here on July 28-29, 2014 from 8 pm to 5 p.m. President Benigno Aquino III signed the law during the 27th Anniversary of the EDSA Revolution with the People Power Movement in Quezon City. Under the law, P10 billion in funds from the alleged ill-gotten
See bares, page 11
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776