Mindanao Daily Davao (August 6, 2014)

Page 1

Mindanao Daily NEWS northmin . westmin . caraga . davao Your Regional Mindanao-wide Community Newspaper

Volume III, No. 065

web portal: www.businessweekmindanao.com

Wednesday

See story P15.00 on Page 12 August 6, 2014

GPH, MILF chief negotiators welcome support of CSOs

D

A VA O City––The chief negotiators of the Philippine government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) jointly expressed their appreciation to the support of various civil society groups in Mindanao on Monday as the panels continue their work in finalizing a mutually-acceptable draft Bangsamoro Basic Law. See FULL STORY, page A6

Regional Top Stories

northmin

DOH downplays ‘Ebola’ scare in Northern M’nao u A2 caraga

DA-MRDP turns over P6m for farmers’ livelihood sub projects u A5 westmin

Kahil reelected PWD alliance president u A7

Steag supports Barangay Based Disaster Management Mapping: Community leaders of Villanueva, Misamis Oriental map-out specific strategies and interventions to mitigate impact or eliminate risks posed by natural and manmade hazards on the people in their respective villages. Nearly 200 community leaders in all the eleven barangays participated in a series of disaster management and risk reduction planning workshops undertaken jointly by the Villanueva Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council, energy-firm STEAG State Power Inc., the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) and the PHIVIDEC Industrial Authority. The activities were funded under the auspices of Steag’s EGoLD (Enhancing Governance in Local Development) Program and is part of the Steag’s continuing commitment to support local development efforts. photo supplied

Multi-agency task force rescues 13 would-be trafficking victims

ZAMBOANGA City––The multi-agency Sea-Based Anti-Human Trafficking Task Force (SBATTF) on Monday rescued 13 would-be human trafficking victims and ar-

rested four alleged illegal recruiters in this city. Senior Supt. Angelito Casimiro, Zamboanga City police officer-in-charge, said the victims were rescued

around 11 a.m. Monday at the local wharf while they were about to board on a commercial ferry bound for Malaysia via Sandakan,

Ozamiz City Mayor Reynaldo Parojinog Sr. (second from right) receives the Gawad Kalasag award for the Best City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (Component) category. With him on stage are Mike Ochate of the local government unit, Mark Vincent Israel of the CDRRM Office, Office of Civil Defense Region 10 Director Ana C. Cañeda and Department of Interior and Local Government Region 10 Director Atty. Rene K. Burdeos. photo by gerry lee gorit

SIARGAO, Surigao del Norte––The Siargao International Surfing Cup this year, now on its 20th year, is expected to be the biggest in terms of bringing in surfers and tourists from all over the world, organizers claimed. “This year the Siargao International Surfing Cup got even bigger after the surfing world’s governing body, the Association of

Surfing Professionals (ASP), made the competition one of its sanctioned events,” said Gerry Degan, contest director. Thus, those competing in the world circuit will get points should they participate in the Siargao cup, he added. Degan said that for now, the Siargao event has gotten a one-star ranking. He admitted it is a low rank, “but at least we are part of

the world circuit.” “The ASP sanction would mean that more world class surfers who are participating in the world circuit would come here and participate,” he added. Last year, the Asian Surfing Championship (ASC) gave Siargao a six-star ranking, making it one of the qualifying stops for the Asian Circuit,

Philippine Star that their disaster awareness and preparedness were evaluated and adjudged the best in Northern Mindanao for a component city. Parojinog said they will

represent the region in the same category at the national level. Ozamiz City and the other Gawad Kalasag awardees were recognized during the 2014 National Disas-

See VICTIMS, page A7

Siargao Int’l Surfing Cup now on its 20th year

See surfing, page A7

Ozamiz City wins Gawad Kalasag award, vies for national title By GERRY LEE GORIT Correspondent

CAGAYAN de Oro City–– For the third straight year since 2012 the City Disaster Risk Reduction Manage-

ment Council of Ozamiz City has won the Best CDRRMC Gawad Kalasag award. Ozamiz City Mayor Reynaldo Parojinog Sr. said in an interview with The

ter Consciousness Month’s culmination program for Region 10 spearheaded by the Office of Civil Defense and the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.

The other awardees were Barangay 18 Daycare of Gingoog City for Best Early Learning Center; Sacred Heart of Jesus Montessori of Gusa, Cagayan de Oro See title, page A7

Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Issuu converts static files into: digital portfolios, online yearbooks, online catalogs, digital photo albums and more. Sign up and create your flipbook.
Mindanao Daily Davao (August 6, 2014) by Mindanao Daily News - Issuu