Mindanao Daily NEWS northmin . caraga . davao . westmin
vertical home builders enterprises Patag Highway, Cagayan de Oro City
Tel. No. 858-5789 / Fax No. 850-5020; Cel. Nos. 0919-655-3754, 0923-304-2676 Email: verticalhomebuilders@yahoo.com
Dealer of hardware and construction materials: Product Lines: Angle Bars; Gl Pipes; C-Purlins; Holow Blocks; Coco Lumber; Carrying Channel; Double Furring Channel; Single Furring ; Acoustic Board; Polycarbonate; Power Tools; Good Lumber S4S; Panel Doors; PVC Laminated Panel; PVC Vertical Blinds; Roller Blinds ; Wooden Blinds; Armstrong Vinyl Tiles; Kent Vinyl Tiles; Parquet Tiles - Apo Vinyl Tiles.
“YOU NAME IT, WE HAVE IT.”
Bringing Good News of Mindanao
P15.00
A1
Distributor & Dealer of: Steel Bars; Holcim Cement; Davis Paint; Sand & Gravel; Plywood; INdustrial Supplies; Finishing Supplies; Electrical Supplies; Power Tools; Air Compressors
Lawmaker backs martial law in ASG-infested areas Volume VI, No. 021
web portal: www.mindanaodailynews.com
Thursday
June 16, 2016
By Jelly F. Musico of PNA
8 fishermen nabbed for illegal fishing
SENATOR Vicente Sotto III on Wednesday said he supports the proposal to declare martial law in certain parts of Mindanao particularly in the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG)-infested areas.
By OBET SAMONTE Contributor
See full story, page A2
CDO’s 2016 P2.4B budget gets approval By CRIS DIAZ Executive Editor
CAGAYAN de Oro City-The City Council has approved Php 2.4 billion budget for the city’s 2016 annual budget, up 18 percent over that of last year’s Php 2.08 billion budget, an official said Wednesday. City Vice Mayor Ian Acenas said that the 2016 annual budget was approved during the regular session on Monday under City Ordinance No. 13081-2016. He said that although the city executive proposed a Php 4.8 billion budget, the actual income of the city government was only Php 2.2 billion in 2014 prompting the city council to approve only Php . 2.08 billion See BUDGET, page A7
MILITARY TENT NEAR EVACUATION CENTER.
Soldiers belonging to the 58th Infantry Battalion pitched a ‘’bayanihan team activities (BTA)’’ tent last Friday, June 10, in front of the public gymnasium where the 225 bakwit or internally displaced persons (IDPs) from Sitio Camansi and Tapul, Barangay Banglay, Lagonglong in Misamis Oriental. had taken refuge on Sunday, June 5. But the IDPs, all lumad Higaonon, have expressed dissent against the military’s move, saying that it is against the International Humanitarian Law. They stressed their collective need to end the militarization of their village and the evacuation center. Photo by Lina Sagaral Reyes
BUTUAN City--Authorities on Sunday arrested eight fishermen engaged in illegal fishing in the waters of Barangay Lumbocan in Agusan del Norte. Ar rested were C arl Abella Madredano, 19; single, Henry Abella, 49; Benbenido Subrado, 62; Alimar Gaid, 28; Luciano del Rosario, 50; and Jason Neri, 23; all residents of Barangay Bayabas, Cagayan de Oro City. Also arrested were Diego Antigue, 47; Anthony Antigue, 24; all residents of Barangay Manapa, See fishing, page A2
BIGGEST MASS SURRENDER By CHRIS V. PANGANIBAN Editor-at-large
ROSARIO, Agusan del Sur--President-elect Rodrigo Duterte’s no-nonsense commitment to rid the country of drug abuse has already made a chilling effect to more than 200 shabu drug dependents and suspected peddlers of this gold-rich town. The shabu dependent residents are coming from the neighboring mining villages of Bayugan 3 and
200 shabu users, pushers yield in Agusan town n
Sta. Cruz here who voluntarily surfaced and turned themselves in before Mayor Jose Cuyos and police authorities. Police claimed the formal yield among residents who admitted they have been addicted to using the illegal drug substance shabu
(methamphetamine hydrochloride) while some others engaged in such illicit drug trade is considered the biggest mass surrender in the country. The residents went to the Bayugan 3 Barangay Hall to confirm about their involvement of drug abuse and vowed before Cuyos to reform and stop using shabu anymore. “President-elect Rodrigo Duterte has not yet assumed Mayor Jose Cuyos of Rosario, Agusan del Sur seriously office but you already talking with the residents who admitted being addicted See biggest, page A7
to shabu. Photo by Chris V. Panganiban
Editorial: e-mail: mindanaodailynews@gmail.com • Advertising: e-mail: mindanaodaily.ads@gmail.com Contact: 0917-7121424, 0947-8935776